[Current Drama 2015/2016] All About My Mom 부탁해요 엄마

joy17

So I finally had the chance to watch the latest ep between snow storm and internet outage and things.  In short, the most substantial event in ep 47 was Oppa turning "evil".  *ahem*  And in ep 48, Daddy learned that his wife's days are numbered.  There are still 6 eps left so from the pace of things, one member will find out in each 2 eps.  The question remains, who will be the last to find out?  Place your bets.  :lol:  This is certainly a worthy cause to continue watching.

I see that all characters got their faces smeared with mud up to the point of the latest installment except Mr. Fixit, Jinea and Ms. Spoil Brat (who are in sacred sanctuary territory.)  I feel no outrage in the characters mutation but rather a comical tingling sensation.  I certainly like to find out how low will they go and what they will do to my KyuJoo.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ungrateful  son is really in character, dissing his parents shop as worthless, the shop that paid for his law school. His untalented wife is now reaping the benefits, a lawyer husband who is bending over backwards to please her family- true it's a tin can law firm but all lawyers start that way. Well the poor ones anyway. 

the writer is now bringing in the conflicts not unusual when a man or woman gets an instant family. Serves him right. Now he knows she is not about to put him as numero uno. 

Jinae's in laws are so boring, who cares if some 50 something are rolling in the hay? Well not me. She is not going to get pregnant.

I like Kim Mi Sook personally but I don't think her character - YS should get pregnant. Seriously writer-nim, it will be ridiculous. They are 50 something, it doesn't make sense at all. Also, Grandma is overprotected on CEO Jang and makes all her way to sneak in YS's house because of HJ. Quite annoying to me actually.

JA and HJ are losing their position as main couple, they were doing alright in the first 25 eps but after getting married, life seems smooth as YS treats JA warmly and HJ always be the sweet guy ( LSW is fine himself but honestly, I don't see his acting improve much, his characters are mostly that perfect-sweet guy with "standard" facial expressions) 

After HG and HJ getting married, I started to dislike HJ somehow. She is quite weak and clueless. Not only HG himself but HJ has made his relationship with SO worst. And of course HG would like to protect her, cause she can't do anything. I haven't seen her useful role as his secretary, she can't help in store, she is not likely to stand for herself as well. I expected her to be much stronger than that... 

On 1/28/2016 at 10:46 PM, maribella said:

The ungrateful  son is really in character, dissing his parents shop as worthless, the shop that paid for his law school. His untalented wife is now reaping the benefits, a lawyer husband who is bending over backwards to please her family- true it's a tin can law firm but all lawyers start that way. Well the poor ones anyway. 

the writer is now bringing in the conflicts not unusual when a man or woman gets an instant family. Serves him right. Now he knows she is not about to put him as numero uno. 

Jinae's in laws are so boring, who cares if some 50 something are rolling in the hay? Well not me. She is not going to get pregnant.

Ungrateful son ditches his own family for what he thought was  a perfect fairytale family but turn out that sweet and understanding mom in law turns out to be verbally backstabbing his own mom, a picture perfect wife who isn't adept at anything but pouting pitiful looks and wilts under the slightest pressure and a bratty stepson who kicks him out of his own bedroom. Serves him right cos he didn't even allow his brother to sleep on his bedroom floor when he rented his room out to HJ to pay for student loan. He can't even have a home cooked decent meal and am stealing  mom's dishes so  that means all those prime beef bought for mom in law went to waste...:grimace:

The characters will continue to be nasty as you need it for ratings in the final weeks. What a pity. Even though I hate cancer as a plot in the last stretch- her family or children is something no mother deserves.

Doted son or not the Asian in me recoils at the eldest son's behaviour. I don't care if he repents. He is like a leopard which doesn't change its spots. This is his true character and letting one in law talk bad about your mother is a no-no. Even though I hate someone like San Ok. Since my own parents did the same thing as her. My sister and I paid for our degreess ourselves. My brother  had his way paved through. So typical plots like this even though I watch it-  makes my skin crawl with all the favoritism. I wonder why I am still watching this. It feels like A Hundred Year Inheritance or Gold something or other. I watch in the hopes of stumbling onto a keeper.

7 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

The characters will continue to be nasty as you need it for ratings in the final weeks. What a pity. Even though I hate cancer as a plot in the last stretch- her family or children is something no mother deserves.

Doted son or not the Asian in me recoils at the eldest son's behaviour. I don't care if he repents. He is like a leopard which doesn't change its spots. This is his true character and letting one in law talk bad about your mother is a no-no. Even though I hate someone like San Ok. Since my own parents did the same thing as her. My sister and I paid for our degreess ourselves. My brother  had his way paved through. So typical plots like this even though I watch it-  makes my skin crawl with all the favoritism. I wonder why I am still watching this. It feels like A Hundred Year Inheritance or Gold something or other. I watch in the hopes of stumbling onto a keeper.

Aren't the boys being given more chances because they are supposed to take care of the family? So the younger siblings should be helped by the older sons? 

Without my sister's help, I would not have been able to go to university. This guy seemed to be taking and taking. One thing that seems odd is that the wife is from a single parent family, so not that moneyed to have servants. She can't even julienne radish. She is not educated. That is too drama land.

Technically females marry out in some society namely Korean. And boys marry in. So the oldest son assumes responsibilities yes. Especially for the memorial rites.

Hyeong what's his name is a user. Yes his wife does not know how to cook- I guess technically you can buy your banchan and use instant rice. And get away with it in South Korea. But she was supposedly matched with a doctor. Now married to a lawyer with no sign of her being shown to be a college grad. I am not being prejudiced here. That's how Korean society works. How did she get matched in a matseon to the doctor in the first place? Anyway to have all that and still not cook is ridiculous. So the writer didn't take care of details. Being a bad cook is not something to boast about and for the MIL to scold him for not accepting their food is insulting. San being bratty is also written in abruptly but the local audiences are lapping it up.

I know she is pretty but being pretty and acting helpless is such a turn off for me. I abhor females like that. You can guess that inefficient people are not my colleagues or will be told off. Does the writer think being pretty and helpless and just dense are acceptable traits just because she is pretty. Anyway men do like helpless females in real life so go figure.

I just can't watch a show which insults my intelligence but since it's the last 2 episodes will finish it off. I would admit to being disappointed in both Eugene and LSW's storyline. I am not sure if their relationship is worthy of being mentioned in the synopsis. It is so lame. And the saddest thing is I actually like both actors.

The cooking thing is one of the many things that doesn't make a damn sense to me.  Ms. Sunshine went to a cooking academy and she knows how to prepare dishes but the problem is her palate.  But she knows delicious taste why can't she fix the taste?  I watched thrice marriage woman for Son Yeo Eun and her character before married knew how to cook and sensible but after she got married, she couldn't cook and crazy.  The quality of kdrama writing where they don't remember what they wrote...  :lol:  

For whatever reason the rating of this drama in the domestic market is rather high! I am so disappointed that the OTP indeed up being a dud, no fun intended cause I like them both.  They could have concluded it to Ep 50 but who knows what are they thinking?

I guess at the end Mom will die cause the writer didn't leave a wiggle room for her to get well, but; who knows? miracle happen.  Seems like the oldest son and wife are moving back.  I am hoping that all the children will find out that their Mom is terminally ill.  What is happening with Halmoni? that is crazy bunking with the future in-law and the son:wub:. anyway, so much for now, my head is ready to burst with all these scenario, hahaha!!!

On 1/24/2016 at 3:03 PM, LavelyShai said:
On 1/25/2016 at 8:23 PM, LavelyShai said:

@mimi

If San Ok's plan is to leave her store to Hye Joo, then she wouldn't deserve any disrespect over her choice. Traditionally, the eldest sons are meant to take care of the family and parents so if that's her plan it has nothing to do with favoritism at all. I haven't seen the episode, but I can't fault her for trying to leave things to her eldest daughter-in-law since Hye Joo's position is to take care of them alongside Hyeong Gyu. The fact that her husband has been acting like jerk & knowing she can't cook should influence San Ok's decision on who to leave the store to. Tbh I feel like she should leave that to Hyeong Soon, but for different reasons. Chae Ri isn't as bad as Hye Joo at cooking and it seems both would be ale to handle taking care of the business far better than Hyeong Gyu & Hye Joo. 

LavelyShai

Thank you LavelyShai...got your point.  But how can she trust the elder son & wife when so far they haven't honored the traditions...The son has even married out ....Also, when I said that  the mom 'deserved' the disrespect, I meant it in the 'karma sense' otherwise no one deserves disrespect especially not a mother.

You're kidding? 54 episodes!!!!!

Look man I cook better Korean than HJ. Although I would say my banchan sucks. But I can't stomach some of the recipes like loach soup. You know this show shows pretty few family meals. For a banchan store owner the food in this drama is pretty boring  I need to go  consider whether I am cooking kinchi jjigae today. Cold weather and all. Better use of my time this weekend. At the end of 1hr I have food. Something tells me nothing substantial will be happening for episode  50.

Ok I am going back to Reply 1988 then. I do have better things to do in my life. I will pop by when the maknae gets back with wifey. And rewatch Creative Destiny or whatever it is called just to remind myself why I liked Eugene in the 1st place.

Just watched the raw for Episode 50:

Spoiler

Happy and sad things about this episode. JA is pregnant, HS & CR got back together for real. HG didn't find out in this episode, but I think he might next week in Ep 51. Between JA and HG, not sure who will find out first... and when JA finds out, I wonder how will it affect her pregnancy...

first time here..but I'm a silent reader. Ohhh extended  to   4 episodes ...I have mix emotions to which what to expect in the finale.Ok is leaving and a  baby is coming,it's both sad and happy. I hope HG will realized  what his mom is going through soonest!

hi @Ayame nice to see you here! 

I'll tough this drama out like the rest of you, but frankly, it's such a plagiarized version of "What About My Family?" that I find it tacky to ride on its success and high ratings.  The similarities are too obvious to give this writer any credit at all, not much integrity here.  The actors and actresses have done a stellar job in the script they have been given, so the high ratings belong to them, not the writer.

The wedding dress malfunction was hilarious when CEO Mom had to come to the table with a shawl around her to hide the dress.  Aunt giggling and remarking that "It's a pretty dress!" was too much.  The only thing missing was a tiara to top it off.  So funny!

in the preview for next week ep HG is gonna flip again at his mother. He keeps sticking up for his new family while his new family only stick up for themself and not for him.

My o my i cant wait to see him in pain when he finds out about his mother

1 hour ago, msmy said:

I'll tough this drama out like the rest of you, but frankly, it's such a plagiarized version of "What About My Family?" that I find it tacky to ride on its success and high ratings.  The similarities are too obvious to give this writer any credit at all, not much integrity here.  The actors and actresses have done a stellar job in the script they have been given, so the high ratings belong to them, not the writer.

The wedding dress malfunction was hilarious when CEO Mom had to come to the table with a shawl around her to hide the dress.  Aunt giggling and remarking that "It's a pretty dress!" was too much.  The only thing missing was a tiara to top it off.  So funny!

I feel the same way, but; what we can we say they are riding on the high rating, the actors/actress are doing the best they can.  I thought that on today episode the the oldest son will find out that this mother is ill, now; I guess he will discover it the hard way, oh well he deserves all the pain.

I

The incident with his new step-son is a typical quick fix, band-aid approach to a difficult situation that takes time and effort to resolve, something he is not prepared to tackle.  The step-son's response to  him of "moving out" is not a solution, but a quick fix to a complicated problem.  For a lawyer, he's really lacking in people skills.

Archived