[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Trysiani Vania said:

But the narration Junghwan gives in the concert scene about how cruel fate is feels like the one Chilbong said when Najung meet Trash on the elevator, on R1994 episode 19

Actually i remember that trash oppa who give similiar narration like JH about fate and timing. so my curiosity bring me back to dramabeans recap on reply 1994 ep 19 and i found that is not only chilbong and trash oppa who give some narration about fate and timing. Najung give some narration too. here they are...

Spoiler

Garbage: Fate is damned. Fate is cruel. And Fate… is strong. Fate throws us into dilemmas, traps us in corners where we can’t do a thing, and in the bitter end, even ignores our sincere prayers. That’s how Fate is damned. That’s how Fate is cruel and strong.

Chilbongie: Another reason why Fate is cruel and strong: timing you can’t predict. This is how Fate is cruel.

Na-jung: Fate pushes me to the edge of a cliff, makes it so that I can’t budge, and in the end passes me the ball. In the end Fate is choosing. Now I just have to make a choice.

Just watched ep 18 with Chinese subs, and here are my thoughts.

When JH showed up at the concert just seconds too late, he first blamed fate or timing as he called it. Later, when the radio reported that Taek had forfeited his game for the concert, JH realised that it wasn't fate or the red lights that worked against him -- it was himself. He should have gathered his courage earlier and created those fateful opportunities without hesitation. 

The funny thing is, if only JH went straight to the concert hall right after spotting the guy at the movies, he would've reached before Taek. Yet, right till the end, he hesitated and it was this indecision that ruined his chances.

Every time the door rang, DS turned to see if it was Taek (who else could she be waiting for?). JH noticed, and he knew his confession wouldn't change anything, but he chose to confess anyway because he needed closure for his first love. The ring was for DS, and the fact that he left the ring on the table meant that he was ready to put his feelings behind him. 

I think DS was deliberately sat facing away from the door, to make it obvious that every time the bell rang, she would turn her head. Didn't this remind you of the scene at Banjul, where JB looked up every time the door bell rang? They were both waiting for someone they love.

It was heartbreaking to watch JH finally pick up his courage and confess when he knew it was too late. That was so unlike the usual k-dramas where first love always worked out. And it was heartbreaking precisely because we've all experienced our fair share of regrets and rejections. Just because you loved first/harder doesn't entitle you to the person's heart. 

Now we'll have to wait another week for the final two episodes, where JH and Taek need to resolve their issues, and DS would finally make her choice. Good luck to all shippers!

started to like him, I'm not #teamtaek or #teamjunghwan I just a fans of Reply 1988 whoever the husband, still enjoy the drama, bcz actually I like both of them to be future husband. LOL

I'm glad if there will no more Chilbong... :) bcz I already happy with the heartwarming story :) fighting for you guys who do the analyze!!

fighting!!

18 minutes ago, jesse how said:

Just watched ep 18 with Chinese subs, and here are my thoughts.

When JH showed up at the concert just seconds too late, he first blamed fate or timing as he called it. Later, when the radio reported that Taek had forfeited his game for the concert, JH realised that it wasn't fate or the red lights that worked against him -- it was himself. He should have gathered his courage earlier and created those fateful opportunities without hesitation. 

The funny thing is, if only JH went straight to the concert hall right after spotting the guy at the movies, he would've reached before Taek. Yet, right till the end, he hesitated and it was this indecision that ruined his chances.

Every time the door rang, DS turned to see if it was Taek (who else could she be waiting for?). JH noticed, and he knew his confession wouldn't change anything, but he chose to confess anyway because he needed closure for his first love. The ring was for DS, and the fact that he left the ring on the table meant that he was ready to put his feelings behind him. 

I think DS was deliberately sat facing away from the door, to make it obvious that every time the bell rang, she would turn her head. Didn't this remind you of the scene at Banjul, where JB looked up every time the door bell rang? They were both waiting for someone they love.

It was heartbreaking to watch JH finally pick up his courage and confess when he knew it was too late. That was so unlike the usual k-dramas where first love always worked out. And it was heartbreaking precisely because we've all experienced our fair share of regrets and rejections. Just because you loved first/harder doesn't entitle you to the person's heart. 

Now we'll have to wait another week for the final two episodes, where JH and Taek need to resolve their issues, and DS would finally make her choice. Good luck to all shippers!

Thanks for sharing. May I ask you a question? 

What do you think of the tied shoelaces of TK? How did he tie them? Double-knotted? Single-knotted? Triple-knotted (lol)  

In Asian culture, are there any superstitions associated with shoelaces? 

By the way, anybody can share her opinion.  Thanks. 

Slide1_5.jpg

Do you guys remember her? 

My prediction is that she'll show up in the future, otherwise that'll be such a waste of a good actress. Deoksun even asked her in one scene what she plans for her future. She's a great character and although my expectations are low it would be amazing if the scriptwriter utilizes not only uses her uniqueness, friendship with ds but also the audience's familiarity with her character as the potential wife for Junghwan or Taek (dont hate me, this is just a prediction from someone who makes plot twists in her head most of the time) 

Remember how everyone got pissed because they just threw chilbong in with some random girl that reminded him of ds?  i think it's best to avoid repeating that in 88'. lol. I don't know, for me, i think it's such a waste if she just disappeared from the series after creating such a great background story and friendship with the female lead. Keeping my fingers crossed she'd end up with any of the male characters or be a significant part of the future plot.  i'd like to see her again.

2 hours ago, Abim Syazili said:

[...]

The family. The friendship. These two are way more precious than the Husband hunt. I've said it to my roomates, I nearly cried when I saw how happy Mrs. Sung was when she got a new gas stove, even that scene is not a sad one but I couldn't believe that simple thing made her smile widely and all excited. It's as an obvious mark how hard her life was.

Or when she attempted to get a loan from Mrs. Cheetah but in the end her self-consciousness won over her, she knew that she didn't repay her previous loan before. This scene broke my heart so much. I can't imagine my mom in that situation. There are so many heart-touching scenes that showed how parents love their children and put them on the top of their list more than anything else.

[...]

Don't tell me that you guys forget how it feels. How your mood lifted up when you saw the OT5 together, how loud your laugh was when they did some ridiculous things, even how funny their parents were when they gathered, or how THEIR STORY may inspire you in real life.

But somehow the husband hunt is the only thing in our head right now, as if we forget that we have seen so many good episodes before this. Who are you to judge the writer nim? Who are you to throw such rude words over her? Please do return all your mirth from her if you still bash her that way and still blinded with the husband hunt. You can be sad with the plot, you are allowed to feel unfair or disappointed but saying some curses are crossing the line. Even the drama is not over yet.

We should be thankful guys. There are two more episodes, hope we can take it with maturity, and respect her effort.

Sorry for the long post.

Totally agree with your post!

I can understand being disappointed because your ship doesn't become reality but this drama has shown time and time again that it's more than just a husband-hunt. After episode 20 Deoksun will have chosen between Junghwan and Taek and whatever that choice will be I hope shippers can look past their disappointment and still remember Reply 1988 for the heart-warming and sometimes heart-breaking family and friendship moments. Those moments are really what makes Reply 1988 such a lovely drama; the lovelines are just a nice bonus for me :D

I also made the mistake of going outside this thread and reading comments at NB and KJ and I honestly can't believe how many people seem to think that the writers changed the script?

We're talking about the Reply team. The team that always carefully picks their BGM to make the lyrics relate to the situation, the team that made up all these colour/dolls theories, the team that puts a flashback inside a flashback because they already planned those happenings a long time ago. This team is made up of perfectionists, you really think they'd throw away their carefully planned scripts for some last-minute changes? Really?

Maybe I'm overreacting but those "they changed the script" accusations really offend me, as if I'm the writer herself :lol:

Addicted--I need to get back to my life. Classes start tomorrow and I'm refreshing this forum instead proofing my syllabi. Yikes.

First love.  The obsession of k-dramas.  Maybe it is because Korea is a physically small country that they figure people meet everyone who will be significant in their lives by the time they are ten.  I have no idea where ANY of my elementary school friends are so I suppose I'll never marry.  ah well.

First love. DS might be JH first love but I'm not convinced that he is the one to love her first--which really doesn't matter; what matters is who DS loves last.

If Papa Choi is correct and Taek shows is affection by allowing the one he is particular about do for him by being clingy, then . . . 

If we go back to Ep 2 when Taek broke his arm all his little friends helped out.

DR (I think took his lunch bag)

The next/perhaps JH took his book bag

The second/maybe SW left him chip/toys

and DS carried him on her back.  WHY?  

He hurt his arm.  Taek doesn't walk on all fours so why did DS carry him on her back.

If he really couldn't walk, the boys would have figured some way to help.

As it is, since Taek hurt his arm and the boys offered practial help. two relieved him from having to carry anything and one gave his a gift to cheer him up.

DS did something totally unnecessary.  She carried a boy with two good legs on her back. 

She over nurtured him. Why? Because Taek wanted her to. He liked her so he was clingly and needy so she would stay by his side and take care of him.

My hypothese is that Taek liked had a special connection to DS from the moment he met her. DS was connected in a special way from the moment she met Taek--what kind of connection it is hard to say until we see DS relationships from her perspective. But their connection has always been special and different than her connection to the other boys and the transform over time into romanctic love. That is not to say it had to transform into romantic love or that over time she couldn't have developed and different kind of special relationship with any of the other boys or some man we have never met, but it doesn't seem that is what happened.

2 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Observe what the Future Husband did after he got bitten by DS? See it? He covered it, too. Unlike JH. Like TY. He was holding it because it was painful

maybe you missed one thing, observe again what future husband did when he got beating becoz he read her diary on Ep 2. He shrugged off her hard punches too...

44 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

Thanks for sharing. May I ask you a question? 

What do you think of the tied shoelaces of TK? How did he tie them? Double-knotted? Single-knotted? Triple-knotted (lol)  

In Asian culture, are there any superstitions associated with shoelaces? 

By the way, anybody can share her opinion.  Thanks. 

As far as I know, Taek doesn't know how to tie shoelaces. DS mentioned it too in ep 18. Why then does he insist on wearing shoes with laces baffles me. In ep 17, JH was surprised how well Taek's laces were tied. Taek replied that those laces were tied by JH in ep 15. He wouldn't know how to tie them again if they came apart, so he tied an extra knot to secure them. 

I don't know of any superstition in Asian culture regarding shoelaces, at least not where I'm from. I thought the shoelaces were metaphorical of Taek and JH's friendship. Taek was afraid that by confessing to DS, their friendship would fall apart, so he tried to secure it using his own method. And it also showed how precious this friendship meant to him. 

19 minutes ago, jesse how said:

As far as I know, Taek doesn't know how to tie shoelaces. DS mentioned it too in ep 18. Why then does he insist on wearing shoes with laces baffles me. In ep 17, JH was surprised how well Taek's laces were tied. Taek replied that those laces were tied by JH in ep 15. He wouldn't know how to tie them again if they came apart, so he tied an extra knot to secure them. 

I don't know of any superstition in Asian culture regarding shoelaces, at least not where I'm from. I thought the shoelaces were metaphorical of Taek and JH's friendship. Taek was afraid that by confessing to DS, their friendship would fall apart, so he tried to secure it using his own method. And it also showed how precious this friendship meant to him. 

Thanks!

So those are his actual words, the ones I highlighted? Interesting. What was his own method? Glue? Or a special knot?  

And the show's title was Irony, right? Irony, part 2.

Yes, it could be a metaphor of their friendship. Or his strategy, his next move. The simple friendship metaphor would have been acceptable to ME but we are talking about a baduk player here. Tying his shoelaces tightly could mean that he's on guard from now on.

You see, in the literary world, a Judas kiss is an act of betrayal that is the most painful because it's done by your closest friend. In this kdrama, there was no Judas kiss but there is an equivalent: the tying of the shoe. It was done as a service or gesture of friendship or gratitude because TK called the doctor for his friend's father and because TK was too tired to notice. 

The knowledge that his friend had all along been in love with the same girl AND had kept in secret from him would have blindsided and devastated him. 

So, yes, shoelaces could be seen as a metaphor for friendship, clean and simple. But it could also mean something else, something more refined, hidden, not so obvious. But it depends really on how this scriptwriter wants to treat the subject.  So far, I haven't seen heard anything that triggered my warning bells.

Are you sure that's not a brand-name jacket label that the person tweeted @lamyaalg89?

DHOLE_MAN_15WMPMJCKMX03_555_3.jpgScreen_Shot_2016_01_10_at_12_31_04_PM.pn

to me the logo that's on the bottom two of that twitter image belongs to this brand, no? http://www.parajumpers.it/en/pjs-man/jacket.html (wow they're quite expensive). hmm but the model above is sort of similar with the one hubby is wearing...  (minus the orange snap hook which is removable). could be wrong though... 

SunBora is the parallel of the other triangle in a very subtle way. While SunBora are very straight forward with their feelings, the others are not. Crossing the line/ fate + timing and creating oppurtinity, Sunbora has master them all compare to the main triangle. That's why to me, the main couple of the 1988s era is none than Sunwoo and Bora. They are the role model  for the other triangle that cannot carry or even figure it out...yet. 1988 to the main triangle was the setup of hidden feelings although feelings of each character was visible to the viewers (except..DS, a lot of hints here and there but never strong enough for a definite confirmation).

Personally, I feel so much sympathy for Junghwan. He's like Bora in a sense that they both have difficulty showing affection with words/expression. JH has liked DS for a long time, but he's hesitated to cross the line. He's been withdrawing his feelings in regards of his friends, first was Sunwoo and only when finally confirm that Sunwoo liked Bora, JH starts making move towards DS, everything would go well and he would eventually confess until Taek told the gang that he likes DS as a woman (despite DS showing interested in him here). Idk if it consider pathetic to be able to withhold your feelings for the sake of something you believe in. JH has great affection toward the gang and individually to Taek and DS as well. If you try to see things in his point of view, he was shown several times that (maybe) DS likes Taek (notice whenever JH was about to do something for DS, Taek showed up and JH always let them be).
So it's safe to say that JH withdrew because he thinks DS has mutual feeling for Taek, the last episode when he decide to go for the confession after noticing how DS keeps looking at the door says everything. He decide to let everything out as a mean to say good bye to his first love because he notice DS keeps thinking of Taek (or so he thinks).
Now JH and the viewers think they know that DS like Taek, but is it a correct assumption? This is why the last 2 episodes will elaborate more on DS's feelings, and thus JH is still a strong candidate. Giving JH a closure on his first love at episode 18 (I'd be more worry for him if it were episode 19 )was appropriate, because with 2 episodes, a lot of things can happen :) And DS as JH's potential wife can be considered even stronger than before (--> why first love never work out).

Regards JH's diary, I'm so thankful to whoever translate the page that was not read out loud by JH's kiddo voice. It's all about DS on that page. JH's dad said he's keeping these old diary so he can give to JH on his wedding.. Now imagine if JH marry to a different girl and read this diary (yeobo, who is DS? it's all over your diary) it'd be hilarious and bittersweet for JH to explain his first love the the wifey. But imagine DS were his wife and get to read this diary :) *heartconfeti*

All I want to say is, the writer has given each ship team a reason of doubt in this episode 18. As long as there is a reason of doubt, TK and JH are still possible husband candidate. (Although to me, I'm sure it is JH.)

I'm also sincerely hope that if JH happen to be the husband, no one will accuse the writer changing the story due to popularity of RJY. And vice versa for Taek aka PBG. They all have it planned out. They won't change the original script.

Shipping aside, a few things that I'm looking forward to:
- Mi Ran menopause/pregnancy arc and how it will affect the Kim family.
- Papa Sung's early retirement/his work crisis will surely affect the Sung family and impact each of the kid (although I'm not too worried because they have decent amount in their bank account right now?) 
-More Miok/JB parody of other classic romantic scenes?
-More cameos from other reply franchise?
-Sunwoo/Bora conclusions :D
-DS/TK exploration either TK's POV or DS's POV 
-JH, hmmm, not sure what he will be doing in the next episode haha.

Hello!! I am new to Soompi Forums, I used to just look at all of these posts but now that I'm a part of this its so exciting!!!  Jalbutakhaeyo!! Please treat me well Sunbae-nims! Although I'm on #teamtaek I truly love all the characters in the drama!! To all those who support this drama, Hwaiting!:rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, kaqueski said:

Giving JH a closure on his first love at episode 18 (I'd be more worry for him if it were episode 19 )was appropriate, because with 2 episodes, a lot of things can happen :) And DS as JH's potential wife can be considered even stronger than before (--> why first love never work out)

That was exactly what i thought...

15 hours ago, elified said:

Did anyone think the scene where Junghwan drives pass Dukseon is foreshadowing something? Particularly how Dukseon is looking at her watch and fails to catch him in front of her? Possibly something about 'timing' and parting ways and how her 'true love' is right in front of her.

That slow-motion missed encounter sequence was my favorite scene from the episode. :) I'll share my analysis of that scene which I posted prior in the JH-DS shipper thread:

iopwrq.gif

This scene was beautifully shot and was accompanied by a hopeful, nostalgic piano theme from the Forrest Gump ost. I find also that it is so symbolic of Junghwan and Deoksun's relationship. 

Junghwan blames himself for holding back and not acting sooner, and his hesitation and lack of action certainly kept him from progressing with Deoksun. But timing is still a factor, as we see here. He did not purposefully come out slower than Deoksun; he did not try to avoid her. Simply, they both just missed each other. 

Again to bring in the factor of timing, Junghwan could not have known that he was going to learn about Taek's feelings for Deoksun right about the time he was going to give Deoksun the Lee Moonse concert tickets and basically confirm his romantic interest in Deoksun to her. Out of loyalty and love for his best friend, he stepped back. Mind you, I'm not saying Taek is to blame for Junghwan holding himself back. Junghwan is responsible for his actions - or lack thereof - that followed, and he accepts that. It's the bitterest pill to swallow, but he knows he chose it. 

But that was when they were 18, now they meet again as young adults five years later. Both a little wiser, both still loving each other (yes, I'm sure of it). They just missed each other. 

4sxop2.gif

If you notice in the gif above, both Junghwan and Deoksun are framed from the car window to each other. The romantic in me interprets that as the window of love and opportunity, and this time, they just missed each other. Junghwan is looking forward, signifying his later decision to confess to and let go of his first love. Meanwhile, Deoksun is looking at her watch to look at the time. Taken symbolically, she is focused on the time because she does not want to be late - to her window of love with Junghwan. 

k1mUDFR.gif

As she stays in the background, it is because she will hold on to her feelings. She has not let go ofJunghwan yet. But for Junghwan, he must leave her in the past to make a clean break and say "Goodbye, my first love."

reading the comments everyday makes me smile ... esp. all the theories :)

I like both TK and JH ... but i love stories more than husband hunt ..... cant wait for next week ..

i'm thinking because JH is in the Air force ... it might be cliche but i like it if JH is in the cockpit of the plane the same aircraft of TOP GUN preparing for take off ... and then DS wearing a beautiful sexy dress walking towards him and all the guys in the vicinity were like going mad ...

and then she propose ... ha ha ha my imagination

i hope i can see JH wearing those flight duty uniform like the overall... hmmm the adult JH is so manly ... 

Archived