[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

http://news.asiaone.com/news/asia/junta-chief-calls-thais-view-patriotic-korean-drama?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&link_time=1458232675#xtor=CS1-2

Junta chief calls on Thais to view 'patriotic' Korean drama

BANGKOK - A hit South Korean drama about a gun-toting soldier saving lives in a far away land has won over Thailand's mercurial junta chief, who on Thursday called on citizens to watch the show.

Former army chief turned Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha seized power in a 2014 coup and has often portrayed himself as an officer duty-bound to save Thailand from years of political chaos, even penning two pop songs and commissioning a series of short films to spread his patriotic message.

Now he has urged Thais to watch "Descendants of the Sun", a drama that is winning over scores of viewers in South Korea, China, Japan and beyond.

"What I have seen is that they have inserted a sense of patriotism, sacrifice, obeying orders and being a dutiful citizen," he told delegates at a government function on Thursday morning.

"So please watch it and if anyone wants to make such a drama I will financially sponsor it to make people love government officials, uncorrupted officials and make the Thai people love each other," he added.

The so-called Hallyu (Korean Wave) of TV shows and pop music has conquered most of Asia and, in recent years, found new, devoted fans in the Middle East, Latin America and North Africa.

"Descendants of the Sun" tells the story of an army captain sent on a peacekeeping mission to a distant fictional country, battling shady henchmen to save his love interest.

It has proved particularly popular with Chinese viewers.

Korean dramas normally begin airing before later episodes are filmed to allow for ratings-boosting script adjustments.

But the show's producers recorded "Descendants of the Sun" in its entirety to pass Beijing's strict censorship rules, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported.

It is a tactic that seems to have worked.

On Saturday China's public security ministry issued a tongue-in-cheek posting on the Twitter-like Weibo platform, saying thousands of women were suffering from "Song Joong-Ki Sickness" - a reference to the dashing lead actor.

But Song Joong-ki was Prime Minister Prayut's one criticism of the show who he described as "very good looking with a boyish look".

"In real life a captain must shoulder a lot of burden and would look older," he mused.

• Like 20

11 hours ago, sunflower91_ said:

i didnt get my ardent wish for KMY and YSJ confession and back hug at the start of the episode but its totally fine coz the ending is too much too handle , LOL for KMY "accidental confession"  and the reaction of YSJ whaaaaaaa , another DAEBAK episode !  cant wait for episode 9, genius writer, hats off  to KES! thanks so much for the recaps , super exciting episode indeed! awesome cliffhanger

MOD EDIT: DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES, GIFS, VIDEOS!

love love love this scene

Hide contents

I keep on repeating this scene...lov it so much

• Like 7

Descendants of the Sun, Song Hye Kyo’s the Unintended Confession

Love line of Song & Song couple gaining speed.

On aired March 17th, the story was continued rescue scene at construction scene of Urk with three episodes.

From the bottom up of story, unusual Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo‘s atmosphere. Song Hye Kyo felt very hard for said Mr. Go’s wife with his news of dead. Song Joong Ki comfort Song Hye Kyo who is in sorrow, and Song Hye Kyo said Song Joong Ki “Thank you for back. I might run away if you don’t with me” expressed her thanks.

Risk moment coming to them. Song Joong Ki was reach a crisis because Cho Jae Yoon. Song Joong Ki isolated with Lee E Kyung who is a survivor, at the burying scene. Song Joong Ki said to Lee E Kyung “I loved a doctor so much. “She got kicked me in three times. Maybe currently, she thinking about that accept me” and “I worry about she worrying me” expressed his hidden mind.

Song Joong Ki rescued by Jin Goo and Song Hye Kyo said “I afraid you die” with ready to bust into tears. Song Joong Ki said “I entered there because trust you. I knew that you will save me” and “I’m a guy who working very well. There is included never die” showed manly appearance.

At end of story, Song Hye Kyo turn on music with assistance from Cho Tae Kwan. Song Joong Ki come to Cho Tae Kwan and he heard Song Hye Kyo’s recorded sound by accident. “I should confess to him. I received his great kiss” with in tears. Song Hye Kyo’s confession was resound to Urk and she was highly embarrassed. Meanwhile, Song Joong Ki had equivocal smile.

Song Hye Kyo had decided stay in Urk in spite of she can leave there. Audience should waiting their developed love story, but progress was so slow. In this meantime, Song Hye Kyo’s accident of confession was a intermediation for develop their love story. How to running the story? ‘Say it! What Are You Doing?’ like OST title by K.Will.

http://www.koreasnoop.com/archives/1907

• Like 19

Photo from descendantsofthesun_official

c as tagged

=======

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Descendants of the Sun" Episode 8

2016/03/17 

Spoiler

photo703171.jpg

If the last episode of "Descendants of the Sun" was about the small moments, this one was about the small windows of time that allows our characters and those around them to see the world more clearly. The world is also seeing this drama quite clearly as it shot up 0.5% to 28.8%, mere percentage points away from the big three-oh.

Si-jin and Mo-yeon are developing nicely although Mo-yeon's fear of losing him to his job still tends to dominate her emotions and behavior. But the result of living and working in a disaster area means that no emotion can be left by the wayside or taken for granted. It's good for her because she'd run from Si-jin forever if she hadn't been exposed to real danger and the very real possibility of losing him. The danger helps her see through her window of fear into how she really feels. Her inadvertent confession at the end of the episode via will hopefully cut through the remaining barriers between them.

Spoiler

posterphoto703170.jpgposterphoto703174.jpg

We get more of Daniel this episode because Jasper Cho is getting more popular. His character still hasn't been beefed out, but I can see a chance for him to grow. I hope that happens, especially since so much of this show is dealing with emotional fallout, seeing through the remains of physical structures, emotional rags, and patchy relationships. He would fit very nicely into the deeper plot workings of the show.

Then we have Chi-hoon, the optimistic young doctor who is battered by emotional shock at every turn. He naively expects a certain outcome, but reality is far more horrifying. I love watching him (via Onew) go through the emotional and physical trauma of a disaster zone. We have our heros, Si-jin and Dae-yeong and Mo-yeon, the brave and seemingly fearless. And we have Chi-hoon who doesn't have the same constitution...yet. He's on the path to learning. It's a good character trajectory for him. He literally looks through small windows or bits of glass throughout the episode, peeking into the worlds of victims, and then into his own fearful psyche. He doesn't like what he sees.

Spoiler

posterphoto703172.jpgposterphoto703173.jpg

Si-jin remains partly egotistical and more brave and dedicated. It injects humor into the story, and reminds Mo-yeon that she originally loved his levity. Their moments together were much more poignant than in the first few episodes. There was honesty, and earnestness, in how they spoke to each other. We need more of that from them. Actually, all of the romantic pairings had beautiful emotional beats in this episode. I hope the couples remain as solid in their development as they have been this week.

The weakest part of the episode was the villains. Manager Jin and Argus are just blips on the drama's radar. They don't induce much fear or anxiety except for when Manager Jin is insanely rash. He seems like a plot tool more than a veritable character, which is a sad waste of Jo Jae-yoon's capabilities.

My biggest worry for this show is how they're going to bring in the next big plot point. Hopefully it won't be as sporadic as the Arab leader of the first few episodes or the UN imposters. But if this week is any indication, I may not have to worry at all. The ratings aren't worried in the least.

Orion's trivium:

Name of the Week - Jin Goo's name written in Greek would be Τζίν Γκού.

Written by: Raine from 'Raine's Dichotomy'

Spoiler

photo703169.jpg

Trivium by: Orion from 'Orion's Ramblings'

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-descendants-of-the-sun-episode-8-92546.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 24

Just finished watching episode 8 with english sub.twice :D... & still can't get enough. the last scene was daebak...great confession ever. Just when i thought MY would left SJ, the story twist just like that, in unexpected way. I have to salute the writer-nim for her great idea, the story line is just sooo good :heart:

Arrrgggghh....how can i survive another week? :bawling:

• Like 21