[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

Well. I am watching DoTS marathon on KBSworld ritenow. It's gonna be a whole day!woohoo :))

I'm just gonna lay around on my couch like a spoiled veggie :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:

After watching the BTS, i have more and more love to all casts and crew of DoTS. 258 days of shooting, preparations, rehearsals, sleepless nights, skipped meals, prolly some lost weekends and holidays, injuries, wrecked nerves, for what? for this amazing, amazing drama.

Of course there's no such thing as perfection. So is DoTS. But, just i said in my previous post on eps 16, i choose to remember all the joy DoTS has brought into my life. I was hooked from the first 15 minutes of watching it, with no expectation at all. 16 hours of DoTS bring me various emotions, not many dramas can do that so far.

DoTS has raised the bar pretty high. It has shown me that affection can be shown in subtlety and silence , but would leave greater impact on us as viewers.

Chemistry between leads are off the charts. They make us question our own observation. The gazes, the little smiles, the intense hugs, and the kisses! Even the small talks on mundane things done in such natural manners that make me more giddy and touched.

The side characters are also presented to add nuances and furthermore give richness to the whole story. I say, there's no dull moments in DoTS!

I can talk and talk for pages about DoTS. For now, i can confidently declare it's on top of my lists. It pushes all the right buttons, ticks all the small boxes, and i'm still struggling to move on.

Thank you once again to everyone in this thread. 1000 pages and going strong! :)))

This forum has been a much needed support system when i could not talk about my obsession of DoTS. We're amazing troopers, aren't we?

Sending loves to all of you, i hope we can meet in another thread :heart:

*virtual fistbump*

song-song-couple-fist-bump_zps6vbpmbxl.g

Looking back all those episodes of DoTS be like..

3i1X7g_zpsaimjtuvb.gif

Reminiscing all the sweet kisses in DoTS be like...

4d8e7cb7jw1f1wcde1nn5g209907te81_zpsk6nn

• Like 23

1 hour ago, rumasa79 said:

Thank you once again to everyone in this thread. 1000 pages and going strong! :)))

This forum has been a much needed support system when i could not talk about my obsession of DoTS. We're amazing troopers, aren't we?

Sending loves to all of you, i hope we can meet in another thread :heart:

*virtual fistbump*

Looking back all those episodes of DoTS be like..

Reminiscing all the sweet kisses in DoTS be like...

Nadu! Expressing my sincerest "THANK YOU" to all the DOTS Troopers! So glad I've joined and been part of this thread! :blush:

EVERYONE and EVERYTHING here is just sooooooo lovely!

Gonna miss Big Boss/Capt. Yoo terribly!!! :heart:

tumblr_o5z2ybFqhk1v6jlsto1_500.gif

tumblr_o61iz6HTgC1utfw96o7_r1_1280.png

• Like 18

haha, I love everything about the epilogue (despite their definition of epilogue totally differ from mine :sweatingbullets:)

I will miss be trolled by them ep by ep, :D

cast and crew had so much fun filming this drama, with too much LOL and ROFL moment, DOTS to me either drama or reality (BTS) are precious. This is actually the first time I watch BTS of a drama live, then watch again with Sub :phew::D then go further discussing about it in forum :lol: 

I can go on, re-watching 16 eps + 3 special eps of DOTS because even if I have re-watched many times, everytime I discover sth new, too busy to swoon over Big Boss and Beauty sometimes I missed a cute scene of other characters :sweatingbullets::blush:

and Onew, hahaha, in the drama you never get to know Blackey's real name and in reality you never have chance to meet your "mom" :grimace:

about DOTS sequel, if the cast and crew are not the same, please don't make it, at least don't use the name DOTS or the story. However, I don't think it will happen, won't be trolled by KBS this time :glasses: I'm still upset that they announced the possibility of  Director cut DVD but later say no to it :expressionless: super upset :angry:   

• Like 15

In last night special SHK talked about Mr. Ko, how he has that big smile (during the flashback) on his face but it looks so sad, and I cried just by seeing a glimpse of his smiling face.

All about DOTS is so memorable for me, even supporting characters who only had few scenes, they did their best and became the scene stellar. 

I miss DOTS already  :bawling: 

• Like 13

Lifestyle: Descendants of the Sun, Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-kyo create an army of addicts

web_2042158387_dbfad267_IMG_1652.PNG

It all started in February. Nobody had the slightest hunch that a small-budget Korean drama would leave a lasting impression on their lives. Today, ‘Descendants of the Sun’ has created an army of addicts across the world.

For the past three months, Descendants of the Sun invaded the televisions of Korean homes. The show’s adorable protagonists Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-kyo, along with the equally charismatic Jin Goo and Kim Ji-won, slowly pierced through the borders and stole many hearts in China, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia. Today, these characters have become household names in Asia and, to an extent, in the West.

In just a month’s time, Descendants of the Sun became immensely popular among the Chinese audience that China’s Ministry of Public Security posted a warning on its official Weibo site against watching the show. This caveat, however, only heightened people’s curiosity, thus boosting the show’s viewership. In fact, preparations are in full swing to make a Chinese version of Descendants of the Sun.

When the younger tech-savvy audience in Asia started watching the military K-drama on their smartphones, it went viral. This prompted people in the US and Europe to find out more about the show. When they did, they too were hooked on to Descendants of the Sun.

To cater to the non-Korean audience, the publicity experts soon started sub-titling the episodes in English. Today, the Descendants of the Sun has become a Harry Potter-like phenomenon, and Song Joong-ki effect is sweeping across Asia.

What makes Descendants of the Sun addictive? Emma Roberts, a huge fan of Korean dramas, answers on Quora: “Descendants of the Sun has all the elements— a good story, outstanding landscapes (the K-drama was filmed in Korea and Greece), beautiful actresses and handsome actors.”

Om Bee, another K-drama addict, offers offers an interesting perspecticve. “The plot caters to both testosterone-type viewers (action) and estrogen-type (romance). It’s a perfect combination of both. The main characters are played by great actors.”

Gaitsiri Mongkolsmai Lin, who lives near Koreatown in Sunnyvale, says:
“The world loves the romance, and while it wasn’t a perfect drama, as none are, the focus was always on the love, the banter, the tension and angst, while trying to inject interesting happenings.”

Jessica Jones, another fan on Quora, says: “Descendants of the Sun is a very enjoyable drama. It has an interesting premise (developing relationships in a warzone), romance, bromance, hijinks, natural disasters, strong female characters, slight changes in world history, silliness, cool fight scenes. I love the main and second leads to bits, and the ongoing ‘car killer’ storyline is a great little nugget of continuity from the writers, and one of my favorite things about this drama right now is one of the side characters because he’s breaking my heart.”

It has been confirmed that there will be no sequel. But for the fans, the show still goes on. After the end of the three-part special series, fans are now enjoying the behind-the scene clips of Descendants of the Sun. Here are some videos that will make your DOTS journey memorable.

http://atimes.com/2016/04/lifestyle-descendants-of-the-sun-song-joong-ki-and-song-hye-kyo-create-an-army-of-addicts/

• Like 10

Descendants of the Sun’s rivals suffer from its ratings and increased after the end of the hit drama

web_2042158387_e5696348_IMG_1643.PNG

On April 21 broadcast of “Entertainer”, the viewers rating marked at 6.6 percent all over the nation, according to Nielsen Korea. With its increase of 0.4 percent from its launching episode, which was 6.2 percent but unfortunately, on its time slot, “Entertainer” is still the last in ratings as against “Goodbye Mr. Black” and “Descendants of the Sun”

. Many are speculating that this drama, might have a good chemistry between Ji Sung, who won Daesang(Grand Prize) for playing a role in MBC’s “Kill Me, Heal Me” last year, and Girl’s Day’s Hyeri from tvN’s popular drama, “Reply 1988.”

In the meantime, “Goodbye Mr. Black” showed a record of 9.4 percent in its 12th episode. From its first 10 episodes of the drama, ratings averaged only around 3-4 percent due to its rival“Descendants of the Sun,”. On its 11th episode, its ratings seems to doubled.

http://kpopfighting.com/2016/04/23/descendants-of-the-suns-rivals-suffer-from-its-ratings-and-increased-after-the-end-of-the-hit-drama/

• Like 13

Missing their amazing onscreen chemistry as Captain YSJ and Dr KMY. Although epilogue is different to what I had in mind, the special finale was still nice and sweet to see some casts reunited to share their thoughts. The making/bts showed me how comfortable SHK and SJK interacted with each other, even during the early days of script reading. They were so cute and happy in many of their bts that were only briefly shown that made me wish the special didn't have to end. I'm thankful that KBS provided the 3-part-special which is more than any other past dramas did for their fans, given it was also beneficial for KBS too. Their beautiful love story will live on in my memories.

Tower kiss wasn't long but still it was short and sweet up-close nevertheless...

viewimage.php?id=26bfc335f0dc&no=29bcc42

Someone is struggling in this bts but said this line perfectly onscreen "Love compels us to do things for others that they can do themselves"

viewimage.php?id=26bfc335f0dc&no=29bcc42

crto via dc

• Like 24

7 hours ago, CatWhiskers said:

Oh..I like the idea. As much as I am so in love with DOTS, I am a bit cautious with a Season 2. It's gonna be tricky to pull off. They would need new conflicts. And a real good storyline.  Your idea sounds great actually. I did mentioned in my previous comment, they could actually pull off something closer to home, maybe a terrorist attack or smtg similar to the movie, London Has Fallen? It will be quite refreshing. Lol. And btw, can I say I totally LOVE ur fics. Please do continue. Your YSJ & KMY's one shots are Daebak! Love the Wrecking Lipstick fic and the Bang and Wham fic. Lol. 

i not in the DOTS 2 camp, the script writers would have to have a very good story to continue with the characters and to also get YSJ and KMY to reprise their roles.  

YSJ is now a squadron leader, I doubt he would be sent into active combat zones, wouldnt he be more a trainer now?

If they make DOTS  2 with a new cast, then it won't have the same magical feel that DOTS 1 has given us due to it's originality.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, jayyepeee said:

Hahaha. This journey has come to an end. But I do have some thoughts. People keep attacking DOTS for its shallow plot and how they say that the story is not very realistic. However, I feel that the relationship that was portrayed was very realistic and well-written. Anyway, this was what I posted on koalasplayground and I thought I should share it here:

WHY I LOVE DOTS AND THINK THAT IT IS VERY WELL-WRITTEN AND STANDS OUT FROM OTHER KDRAMAS

thanks for your opinions and i'm agree with you. i think majority of the people critic this drama is because they expect more about the soldier and doctor aspect while forgetting that this drama mention from the beginning it's about the love story. i'm more to romance and mystery/suspense/detective/thriller dramas genre so i ok that DOTS focus more to love story. and i agree with you with main lead relationship. it's so mature and i love mo yeon character here. she was given the chance to voice her opinions and feelings and also equal in profession and relationship with si jin. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cgtq0Q9UkAAoEoX.jpg

picture credit to owner

• Like 19

Watching the special episode last night, it finally hit home to me that DOTS is really over. 9 weeks with DOTS have been so precious that letting go is harder than I thought. This morning, I still woke up early to check its rating for the final time…

From the special episode, it is clear that the working atmosphere is enjoyable. People have more time to stay together and understand each other better.
SHK and SJK really have a nice working relationship.  They are obviously much closer than what they show to the public. Their roles require them to have lots of skinship and interaction with each other and both are very nice, considerable people so there is no surprise that they get on so well.  Then how come they didn’t seem to be like that at all in the Korean press conference?

There are scenes that really reflect their true personalities and the script is molded based on these. Like how the drunken scene of MY was not originally on the script. In the wine kiss scene, it is very likely that MY took the bottle with her because that is what SHK would do.

It is nice to know that SHK loves the part where MY had to sign non-disclosure paper with the military people. I didn’t really pay attention to that scene before but now I can understand how she feels about it. Also, it is interesting to know SJ’s point of view when shooting Argus to dead: you were my idol/inspirational figure but I love MY more so I have to protect her by killing you. That was a right but painful decision to make.  How SJK really cried his heart out was so sad.

It seems like everyone loves working SHK. I see numerous phrases from scriptwriter, director, her fellow actors but it is so great to witness it with my own eyes. Like when SJK filmed KMS, he told the mascot what he said was boring because everyone in Korea knows how pretty SHK is. How JG gushes about MY/SHK. How SJK felt to the ground laughing at her drunken acting or rubbed his head on her shoulder like a baby. I have never seen her this lively.

And what’s with “I have to ask permission from my mom”. SJK, you are already a grown-up and you had much more torrid kiss scene before. Must you ask your mom too if you have future bed scene, lol? :lol:

• Like 18