[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

'Descendants' sets viewership record of 40.4%

By Kim Da-hee

KBS TV's mega-hit drama "Descendants of the Sun" set a record-high viewership of 40.4 percent for its 14th episode Thursday.

The result came during a romantic scene in which Yoo Si-jin (Song Joong-ki) asked Kang Mo-yeon (Song Hye-kyo) to watch a movie with him while in hospital. Yoo was taken to hospital after an unidentified gunman shot him.

The episode's average rating was 33 percent, according to Nielsen Korea.

Meanwhile, rumors spread Friday morning that a film version of the drama will be released at the Cannes Film Market. But the drama's production company, NEW, said no decision had been made.
ds450.jpg

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2016/04/201_202187.html

• Like 20

On 4/7/2016 at 2:19 PM, Meowth07 said:

Subs for tonight's ep is unusually late so I had to make-do with a less proper version and had to fight a bit with chinese sub too. So unhappy. At least I think I got what the script was trying to convey.

I hope I'm not too far off with my interpretation. Perhaps Ep14 is one of "the deeper meaning the drama is trying to show" (quoted Song Joong Ki) story. That's why not everyone gets it at first glance. The NK soldier story is long, takes like 80% screen time. I guess it has a special meaning to Korean people. One country is divided into two. So was my country. And until now the North-South topic is still hurtful to us. Basically, the story is about 2 governments trying to mend that wound. But the guy who is Sr.Lt.Ahn's boss doesn't want that, he's a soldier, he wants conflicts, and he's in charge right now. So Sr.Lt.Ahn tries to take him down, and Alpha Team helps him. It's not a lighthearted storyline at all. But so touching to ones who have/had experienced the same thing. In my wildest dreams, I couldn't imagine them doing a story about that matter.

(A related note: the first fight in ep1 with NK soldiers, when Captain and Sgt.Seo going into the house, eng sub got what he said was "Let's try to talk this out first". But the exact translation should be "Let's try some North-South conversation". The script was meant for this since the beginning.)

The best scene in this ep imo is the scene Dr.Kang standing in the hospital hall, with the news broadcasting about the meeting being a success, they got agreement about many trade deals and so on. Her expression was like, at peace, like it touched the deepest place in everyone's heart - one's country. Then in the room with Captain she told him: "The things you did for keeping peace, I saw that today, on the news". Now she totally understands what he does. Not some far away country, not other foreign people, but her country, their country too. Of all Alpha Team's missions so far, this one also had the biggest impact. They've rescued 2 soldiers, 2 UN workers, a village of kids. But this, they helped one (or two) nation. And it's just beautiful beyond words.

This is my take on ep14. What a pity many people complaining about it. Like you guys, I'm all for the romance. But this is different.

Well said. That's what I got in mind too..:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

• Like 23

Hm now I'm curious, I've seen some people say that the Chinese version of of these weeks episodes were different, how so? Did they change things? I always watch the Korean broadcast and I thought they were all the same

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kdramad said:

Hm now I'm curious, I've seen some people say that the Chinese version of of these weeks episodes were different, how so? Did they change things? I always watch the Korean broadcast and I thought they were all the same

The drama had to be pre-produced in order to be able to sell it to the Chinese market where there's a department which censors stuff that might not be acceptable for the government. In DotS, the entire plot involving North Korea has to be carefully edited due to the fact that China is one of the very few allies North Korea has. Hence, episode 1, 13 and especially 14 needed to be heavily touched up in order for them to be broacasted to the Chinese viewers.

• Like 17

ok, now that I watched ep 14, I still loved it! :wub::wub::wub: Not just because of uri OTP but because the flow of the story is still SOLID! It gives shine to the other casts that they're not just a filler or something.. & I love MY in ep 14 too! She's a strong-willed person despite of what happened to uri SJ! (Well, uri SJ is CAPTAIN KOREA y'know!! :P) so can't wait for ep 15!!! (OH NOOOO! LAST 2 EPS NEXT WEEK..GOSH! I hope I'm not having a sepanx after it will end.. :tears::tears::tears:)

giphy.gif

& this scene, has anyone also assumed & thought like me that she's gonna FIST BUMP him??? OR IT'S JUST ME???
Silly me, right??? LMAO!!  laugh3-smiley.gif?1292867631laugh3-smiley.gif?1292867631laugh3-smiley.gif?1292867631laugh3-smiley.gif?1292867631laugh3-smiley.gif?1292867631

well, I only realized it when I rewind it for the NTH TIMES that she'll just going to give him the microSD card! laugh3-smiley.gif?1292867631laugh3-smiley.gif?1292867631laugh3-smiley.gif?1292867631laugh3-smiley.gif?1292867631laugh3-smiley.gif?1292867631

• Like 22

11 minutes ago, kdramad said:

usually chinese version will edit the North Korean Part beacuse a politic issue

• Like 5

1 hour ago, booho said:

Seriously, i'm really in LOVE with all character in this drama

start from our two couple YSJ-KMY, DY-MJ, and also support character from Dr Song, Nurse Ha, even the Hospital director ahahahahha, 

even the small role like Alpha Team ( snoopy-picollo-harry potter ) and Kim Ki Beom , and the that "ugly Chief" and don't forget the soldier who always report about DY ( forget the name ) 

KES can make all these character shining in their portion, sometimes a small role doesn't have a strong impact with some drama is exception, give applause to the cast scout from production team

Yes let's pray she is not ruin this drama with "in the middle of nowhere ending" this drama is too good to be true.... 

all the characters are written very well.... all the lines are thought very well and described very well by the writers and the casts.....even until now i keep imagining when the writers tried to portrayed the "speaker confession" scene... seriously where the hell they got the idea they must be laughing ou loud when writing that...

but the most weird in this drama is the inconsistency on the wound injury :sweatingbullets::D 

1. in the "saving KMJ" scene .... all i know YSJ was hurt in his right wrist... wrist.... but why he got treatment on the left elbow which is seems to be really fine previously.... and the most weird is the wound in the wrist completely gone.....:D

2. YSJ gun shot wound.... at the ER room he has his left knee tied by fabric...which in common knowledge he must be shoot at his leg and the first thing to do was tied the wound very tight to stop the bleeding. he also has "kinda like" gun shoot wound on his belly since it seems bleeding a lot.... but no surgery perform.... instead he only got cast in his right hand. that so strange :D

• Like 8

@Meowth07:

Aside from the North South issue is the  tie-in to why Asperagus turned mercenary and the North special forces team being hired out as mercenaries by their Security Chief.  

Basically, when there is peace, it means there is no more fighting. And, if there is no more fighting, then, the soldiers no longer have purpose or function and are obsolete.

This is what Asparagus meant when he said that he had no country to serve, in answer to Captain's question about why he turned mercenary.  

• Like 13

wahhhh....finally this forum is back...(been always sing i want you back back back back back....since cant access this forum today)

and i know i am late but still congrats DOTS and Troppers...we still got high ratings...33% its a bit drop but yeah it still high for me. At first i want to aiming 40% rating but my heart said still said that it will be difficult because just two episode left..even the total of all percentage rating at that slot time dramas isnt touch 50% right???if dots get 40% then how about other dramas...why suddenly i feel bad to other dramas???hahahaha... from the started i said to myself if this drama get more 20% it will be already awesome and great, it was difficult to get rating with that number nowadays...but now its already exceed my prediction and touch 33.5% (the highest) so yeah i just standing ovation and speechless...

and here i am still hesitate to watch ep 14 with sub...last time i said this week episode like watching another drama with different plot. I even said to my friend that i miss argus i want him to alive again and disturb YSJ life in Korea...hahahahahahhahaha Because i already expect that will happen since they already wrapped up the Urk matters, so i am not surprised and not that shocked. A bit disappointed after read live recap yesterday but after rant here and there now i am a bit calm and just said...it just a drama, a drama that show the big picture of soldiers and doctors lives (so just dont think too much about the off plot or lost the path of its story, you still see the soldiers and doctor part right????with all their problems???), a drama that wont be perfect, a drama that cant please everyone, a drama that wont be like the way i want because i am not the script writer..a drama that i just want to enjoyed..so still as a viewer i will just enjoyed...i still enjoyed ep 13 and i still laughed hahahehe and fluttering at some scenes. i am still on my happy side when watching ep 13.

My watching-drama periode always have a point that i get bored and didnt feel exicted again..its like i just finished watching it to my loyalty over that dramas,, usually happen in ep 8-10 in drama...some dramas even get bored until the point i dropped it,, its normal for me to get bored but this drama i dont feel boring at all.....maybe its kill my exictment a bit (okay thats nomal for me)...anyways with my left over exictment i still feel exicted to waiting what will happen in next wednesday...i still counting down day by day until hours by hours later. i am still makes worst and best scenario that i want happen to this drama next week, yeah thats how i am with my exictment that already being kill a bit. i still love this drama that many people said this drama overrated...i didnt expect too much when i started this drama but turned out it being paid with fully satisfaction....

i still love this drama because the well-balanced part... romances, actions,intense scenes. a funny and hilarious scenes, sometimes a sad and moving scenes, its really worth my time that i already being wasted to watch this drama (normally i just wasted 14 hours for 14 episode dramas, but in dots i think i watched 14 episode dramas with more than 14 hours,,because i already watched nth times all episodes).

my hope for next week that same with netizen comment:

1. The preview ㅠㅠㅠ Is a happy ending really that hard?...i still believe it will be happy ending its not that hard right??you already played my heart every week so make a happy ending wont be that hard right right right??

2. Stop going to the department store ㅜㅜ let KMY the one that going to real department store...YSJ just stop going to that fake department store..

3. Ah please.. I hope Sergeant Choi's just being used for a marriage proposal...yes please....marriage proposal please...narang kyolhon hae jullae?????would you marry me KMY???--->YSJ said it...and please make military wedding ceremony too..i really want to watch it in kdrama!!!!!!!

4. Give us more lovey dovey scenes of them now!!! Have the American army take care of world peace...bwahahahahahahaha agree...just let american army take care the world peace...lolololololololol

ps:  i just know that dumb dumber is the bromance couple in dots...lololololol...(sing dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb..hahahaha) i cant stop laughing when watched the bromance scene in the hospital..dunno which one is dumber between them..when SDY start to touch his hair girly...i cracked up....hahahahahahaha....i mean with that tough manly face did that girly touching???OMG..you changed my view of you SDY sangsa...btw that dog tag in preview really creepy...its yours SDY???please dont let anyone hurt again next week

counting down to Wednesday started........(fyuh)

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Mangoberrie said:

@Mayiya BTW, not sure if this has been covered, but, what did MJ give SJ at the hospital? They keep eating that little packet thing that looks like sachets of sugar we see at cafes. LOL.

Those are sachets of ginseng. Japanese/Chinese/Koreans believe it's suuuper good for health (I don't know about physical health, but they are actually good to keep the chi up and flowing well). Good ginseng is very expensive throughout Asia, that's why the fancy packages and utter happiness of the person receiving it as a gift ^_^

Hey, hi, guys! :blush:

I've been lurking for some time here waiting for an opportunity to post and finally the theories (kind of) have begun...

So most of you believe the dead/injured one in next episode is DY... Frankly, I want it to not be DY and neither SJ, because I can't see one of them without the other :bawling: but then, why is Snoopy going to tell Moyeon of all people, with that utterly gloomy expression, about Daeyeong? Sorry, it doesn't make much sense...

Maybe the mission was an overall failure and most of the team was kidnapped and now's at the mercy of the enemies? Now that's something I'd expect from a good drama's last-but-one episode. Leaves plenty of room to resolve the life-or-death situation on the last episode. Remember there's also going to be an epilogue together with the special they'll be releasing after the ending and, well, no reason to record for an epilogue is there're no leads' story to tell '-' Let's compare it to Blood, where basically everyone but Dr. Yoo dies in the end. An Jaehyeon's death was the very last important thing to happen on the very last episode and then there was about a 5 minutes epilogue the basically showed Dr. Yoo trying to cope with her new-found loneliness and kind hallucinating...

So, there =) Plenty of reason to doubt it will all be a big tragedy next Wednesday :grimace:

• Like 6

Up to now this drama is sunlight. I don't want it to become dark.

It gives us hope. Don't take it away again. There is no need in death. This drama is hymn of life and peace. Light spot in the world worth fighting for. Aspiring and beautiful.

:heart:

I think the captain likes these scenario too. :D 

tumblr_o4xrhooFBB1rpyw6wo8_r1_250.gif

;)

tumblr_o4xrhooFBB1rpyw6wo6_r1_250.gif

(thank you for gifs. I've used them and hope you don't have objections.;))

• Like 22

Wait, uri-Daewi-nim has  already met Kang Songsaeng's Eomma, however he was not introduced yet to the Chinhan Chingu, Pyo Songsaeng. I am actually quite anticipating for their meeting since I want to hear Pyo Songsaeng's opinions/impressions on uri-Daewi. And oh, by the way, he stills owes her a meal since her phone call saved him from Kang Songsaeng's wrath way back in Urk when their picture of having double blind dating was intercepted by the girls.. Hahaha...

• Like 10

22 hours ago, Mangoberrie said:

Well...if it is a sad ending, 40% of Korean and like a good chunk of the rest of the galaxy will be angry at the writer. I think it's much better to just please everyone than to richard simmons like half the world's population off. ROFL

I don't know why I notice this now, but did you actually write richard simmons or it just soompi automatically change the words? I might try to type some cursing words to know the result, LOL, I am crazy... kidding mods :D 

Anyway, I agree. It's suicide, the writers won't go that way. If they want to stay alive they will give us a happy ending, with babies. Maybe the baby making process will take place during the camping trip, haisst what am I saying... Better just continue back reading, silly!

Okey, even this kind of bed scene looks sexy to me... wonder why...   :relaxed: 

2TgCBc.jpg cr: ktiminie

• Like 23

Eventhough i know we love uri capt. Yoo because he is leader of alpha team..we love his leadership, comrade-thing and every soldier-thing..but as a women for KMY i really hope he stop male her worried.. Maybe he can do desk job like Commander suggested in earlier ep to make him bcome general or mayor or something, i forgot..b coz it seems like the higher your rank the more less u do dangerous job...so he can be always with MY

• Like 6