[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

@eunsuhae , they call shows or movies like SLA "art films". They are only for those who "get it". they are not for everyone. I was debating whether to start a forum for us Africa fans to discuss dramas, but I am thinking thrice about it because the major argument we are also having in the motherland is who is more awesome, LMH or Lee Seung Gi, and their dating lives. I cannot have a discussion with teens and people in their early 20s, for the same reason we have raves here where those below 25 are not allowed in.

I don't know why SLA was a moral issue...lol. as I said, I live on Noona Romances even starring the devil, so I didn't care at all about the storyline. I just needed my fix! And I need another one soon! !

I remember the production had said that they didn't expect the drama to be very popular and had so planned for 16 episodes. Maybe they got burned by the other drama "end of the world", which I hear was awesome, but had to be shortened. I guess the success of SLA is what has given them the confidence to go all out and do 30 episodes of Heard It Through The Grapevine.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey lovelies :x This is my first post here :"> But I've been an avid reader of this thread. I'm a huge fan of Secret Love Affair, and as a result became a fan of Kim Hee-ae and Yoo Ah In :x Here is my attempt at translating what Kim Hee-ae said about Yoo ahin: In regards to male actors, Kim Hee-ae considers Yoo Ah in(from secret affair) as her most powerful/intense partner. She says: "That is a friend whom I really like.His acting is too good,and has a perfect figure. I like his immediate concentration and solid acting.Even though he's a junior,acting is too easy for him,(to the extent that he should make me feel irritated), but on the contrary, he rather motivates me. If he met with a really good director, he could become an international actor. Out of all male actors, I'm rooting for his future the most."

​Thanks so much for the translations! Sorry it took me long to go back to this forum since soompi's latest "renovation" :D

• Like 1

Please don't judge me......lol.... A Wife's Credentials is being screened in my country (yay!) but I'd already watched it as I was waiting to marathon SLA...... I just realised that the lady who is the sister to KHAs character is her secretary in SLA!!! ***** runs and hides****

​That's right! I've noticed her from AWC. She's a sweet sister in AWC and a sweet secretary in SLA. I read her latest interview, and found out that she speaks 4 languages fluently! She majored in English and Japanese in university, and she learned Chinese too. What a bright lady!

• Like 1

@lisafransisca  and  @rama0 :     

Thank you for the lovely picture of Kim Hee Ae and for the translation of her comment about Yoo Ah In.

While hunting around online, I landed on a facebook page in her name  (probably by fans). Three short videos from 2014,  "post SLA".  In one video she mentioned the movie she appears in:......"C'est Si Bon".  It opened in Feb. 2015 in Korea.  I totally forgot about it  (even though I read up to page 7)  in a Soompi forum!   And YAI's movie, "Veteran" (still the same title?), comes out in May.     :-/       Maybe a few post-it notes atop my computer screen?

​YAI's movie "Veteran" (yes, still the same title), they postpone it to July :) But I heard he has confirmed to play in new SBS sageuk Six Flying Dragons. Another movie (Sado) is coming out in September. I guess he's stretching his enlistment due date to the very end :D

• Like 1

Just dropped by to let you know that SLA is airing in Thailand tv channel since late April. I think I've moved on from SLA syndrome but I will always miss you all guys ^_^

The emotional high has definitely tempered but I'm still a fan..... I still get feels when I sneak an episode or two .... ;-)

I was discussing SLA with my Korean friends ( because you know every drama fan must sniff out any Korean in the vicinity); episode 8 when LSJ comes home to find OHW in his sweatshirt and proceeds to say that she is "Komna Sekshi" (my spelling). I was telling my friends that it is my best phrase.... Apparently, my friends say, a younger person would not tell an older person that they're "komna sekshi". It may be imprudent and slightly off because it's almost slang. 

I was totally blown away by the info!! LSJ had some guts to use such a phrase to show his feelings. How bold!!! He totally jumps barriers and protocol and banmal to make her know plain and clear that he is into her!! He reduced their age gap by 25 years with that statement. What a perfect use of subtext!! Gaaddddd!!

I'm SOOOO using that phrase on myself more often now.......

• Like 4

The Korean Government wants to bring Korean drama and culture into Africa ( aren't they a little late?) Yours truly was asked to do an interview talking about dramas, why I love them, my favourite drama ( Secret Love Affair) etc etc....... It will be a reference for our local TV stations whose executives are meeting with broadcasting bigwigs in Korea. ....... It may be aired on KBS... I will let you know the time. ...... :-D

The things we do for dramas........

• Like 3

@africandramalover well that's great, better late than never, right? do let us know how things turned out :)

And just out of curiosity, where are you from exactly? I'm also african, from Tunisia to be exact. As part of the arab/muslim community too, the Hallyu wave has reached us for quite some time though it was initially more focused on the Middle East rather than the african side

• Like 2

@eunsuhae, I'm Kenyan. Their government is so late, considering we even have Korean Kenyans who've been here for eons. Many are even citizens...... :vicx:

I guess it's the usual assumptions about Africa operating here, until they see how much money we have and the potential market.  But ISORAIT!!! I can be their pointman......they can pay me with return ticket to Korea. :P:PYES!!

• Like 2

Just dropped by to let you know that SLA is airing in Thailand tv channel since late April. I think I've moved on from SLA syndrome but I will always miss you all guys ^_^

The emotional high has definitely tempered but I'm still a fan..... I still get feels when I sneak an episode or two .... ;-)

I was discussing SLA with my Korean friends ( because you know every drama fan must sniff out any Korean in the vicinity); episode 8 when LSJ comes home to find OHW in his sweatshirt and proceeds to say that she is "Komna Sekshi" (my spelling). I was telling my friends that it is my best phrase.... Apparently, my friends say, a younger person would not tell an older person that they're "komna sekshi". It may be imprudent and slightly off because it's almost slang. 

I was totally blown away by the info!! LSJ had some guts to use such a phrase to show his feelings. How bold!!! He totally jumps barriers and protocol and banmal to make her know plain and clear that he is into her!! He reduced their age gap by 25 years with that statement. What a perfect use of subtext!! Gaaddddd!!

I'm SOOOO using that phrase on myself more often now.......

Yeah, I remember sometimes LSJ uses banmal to "underline" his feeling. Just like when they secretly meet in the construction house and he shoutsin banmal to her that he's going to get drunk, or when he tells her to be his "gi-ji-beh" in Hongdae date :D

• Like 3

The Korean Government wants to bring Korean drama and culture into Africa ( aren't they a little late?) Yours truly was asked to do an interview talking about dramas, why I love them, my favourite drama ( Secret Love Affair) etc etc....... It will be a reference for our local TV stations whose executives are meeting with broadcasting bigwigs in Korea. ....... It may be aired on KBS... I will let you know the time. ...... :-D

​Cool! Please share with us your interview with KBS here! You're a celebrity now! :D

• Like 1

​Cool! Please share with us your interview with KBS here! You're a celebrity now! :D

Lol!! I'm a celeb now!! Or at least if it is aired!! He he he! 

Nitazidi tu na drama. I'll keep on with dramas.

• Like 2

@africandramalover, after reading your post of the mousetrap incident i had to re-watch episode 3 and then went back which made me go back to watch all the episodes. Thank you so much. It is true once Kang ran out of the apartment and left HW in the hands of SJ the marriage is over. He left his wife with another man to care for. SJ did great caring cleaning her feet ahhhhhh, no wonder HW could not resist.

• Like 6

Hello Everyone,

So nice to come back home here to the SLA Forum!   Almost have an urge to "open the door and yell,' I'm Home! Anybody here?' ".  And as always, thankfully, I see either that someone is home or has recently stopped by for a visit.  The Forum remains alive with new activities, reactions, and insights  that come from experiencing that amazing Drama. 

I just  finished participating in the HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE forum here in Soompi Land.  Yes, it was very, very good in my own very biased opinion, that is true.  I am not alone in that judgement, since this year this drama, HITTG, received "Best Drama" in the Baeksong Arts Awards.   Then they gave Best Director and Best Writer to someone else this year.  It's OK by me. We understand the process!  It's not a bad thing to spread the glory around and publicly acknowledge those artists who have worked hard.

HITTG's forum is finishing 200pp today.  The last episode, Epi.# 30, aired on SBS TV live online last week, Tuesday, June 2, 2015.  The discussions were wonderful, informative, and passionate (but NOT angry or bitter at all).   The changing system of lawyer education (traditional tests vs extensive college level course work & then a bar exam). Challenges to old Joseon Era traditions as globalization encroached upon the social changes facing modern Korean young/older professionals, and the ethical and moral decisions the characters had to face were the basis of this drama by Director Ahn and Writer Jung.

I was mistaken when I sort of expected another SLA. That drama was a special meeting of way too many things coming. together at the right time to create that "Perfect Storm" we experienced with SLA.  I've been learning NOT to expect this with dramas that seem at first to possibly being about to re-create the same effect experience.  First example, NODAME CANTABILE.  Great! once I stopped trying to have all the musical correlations that were a big part of SLA.  Now, HITTG !  Also great! once I stopped trying to view it with the same lenses that worked in SLA.   Childish of me, certainly, but I like to think of it as simply measuring them all against my personal Gold Standard, SLA.

So happy to hear your news, @africandramalover!   Glad to see the embers still burning in this Forum and capable of catching fire and blazing brightly still.     :wub:

MINI-GUIDE to HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE (see under the Spoiler)

( 30 episode drama by the  SLA Writer and Director team) 

PS:... I do recommend all 30 episodes of HITTG.  Just not the love story like SLA.  For better understanding of legal matters and for the type of translating and interpreting that @seungshinlee  ( & others) did for us here, please look through that forum. Several very smart writers added greatly to my understanding of what was really going on in the drama.  I was seriously mistaken once or twice due to subs.  

Check especially COMMENTS by @seungshinlee and @baduy.  Also,@shamrockmom, @hushhh.  If I name all who contributed, then I won't be making it easy for you to find the comments that most often clarify either THE SUBS or THE LEGAL ASPECTS,  (only need to search the 200 pp. that were written while the 30 episodes were on-air!    :rolleyes:   

I loved the drama, the actors were fabulous and deserving of their awards.   But I feel quite comfortable leaving the drama behind now.   I had stopped picking up new dramas for a while, HITTG was that much fun for me.  Now I'm going to catch up with some of the current ones on-air.  I could NEVER "drop" SLA like that. So very different!

Edited by mdj101
add info.
  • Like 9

Hello, Everyone!                                                                          Posted:..June 11, 2015 

Let me recommend a special movie to you all.   I just stumbled into it, half-way through it, and was struck  by a love story that was so much a parallel to Hye Won and Seon Jae's characters and their love story in SLA. I checked first online to see how easily you can find it.  Youtube has several sites with the whole movie available in English  (as opposed to "previews" and "trailers".  Here is the title to enter on YT:

LOVE AND PAIN AND THE WHOLE DAMN THING (1973 release - USA, in English, only 110 minutes)

Starring Maggie Smith (at @40 years of age)  and Timothy Hutton (at @ 22 years of age).   Filmed in Spain, with loads of colorful shots of locals , scenery, and festivals.  Story takes place in the course of summer vacations spent touring through Spain.

A beautiful "Noona love story between a seemingly mismatched pair of  "foreigners".  Who would have expected it?  Not I, for one!   True love, as in SLA, with a different "twist", but with an oddly happier, more satisfyingly clear ending than SLA.

PS:.... So I could calculate their 1973 ages, I looked them up online.  At 80 years old, Maggie Smith plays a major  role as a Dowager in  DOWNTOWN ABBEY (British TV series due to end after next season 2015/2016 ?).    No recent films for T. Hutton, but he looks so different as a 63 year old man ---Handsome, but unrecognizable to me!  But Maggie Smith still looks like herself!  I would have expected the reverse to be true!     B)

Good Bye, for a While!

Edited by mdj101
sp.
  • Like 4

Hello, Everyone!

Let me recommend a special movie to you all.   I just stumbled into it, half-way through it, and was struck  by a love story that was so much a parallel to Hye Won and Seon Jae's characters and their love story in SLA. I checked first online to see how easily you can find it.  Youtube has several sites with the whole movie available (as opposed to "previews" and "trailers".  Here is the title to enter on YT:

LOVE AND PAIN AND THE WHOLE DAMN THING (1973 release - USA, in English, only 110 minutes)

Starring Maggie Smith (at @40 years of age)  and Timothy Hutton (at @ 22 years of age).

These Noona romances will be the death of me!!!!! 

• Like 3

@africandramalover, after reading your post of the mousetrap incident i had to re-watch episode 3 and then went back which made me go back to watch all the episodes. Thank you so much. It is true once Kang ran out of the apartment and left HW in the hands of SJ the marriage is over. He left his wife with another man to care for. SJ did great caring cleaning her feet ahhhhhh, no wonder HW could not resist.

we can safely say that this drama screwed our heads over. I feel another re-re-rewatch coming on!!!

• Like 4