[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

Found Hye Won's husband , OOPS!.... I mean the actor, Kang Hyuk Kwon, in a role in the drama "Unkind Women".   Sure to rehabilitate his vivid "on screen image" as the worthless, useless.parasite of a husband  he played so well in SLA.

In this new drama he acts  the charming, loving, misunderstood husband of  a main character.  Nice to see this actor again.  He is always fun to watch in dramas.   =D>

Found Hye Won's husband , OOPS!.... I mean the actor, Kang Hyuk Kwon, in a role in the drama "Unkind Women".   Sure to rehabilitate his vivid "on screen image" as the worthless, useless.parasite of a husband  he played so well in SLA.

In this new drama he acts  the charming, loving, misunderstood husband of  a main character.  Nice to see this actor again.  He is always fun to watch in dramas.   =D>

Nice to see your name and your words on here @mdj101 !

You are way too nice.  He was such an i@#$t on SLA.  My mother is watching that show she said it's good.

@lisafransisca:......... Thank you for that link to the beautiful  SLA  Japan website........the colors and the arrangements seem  just right and are appropriate for  the high quality of this drama.   Unfortunately, my Google translate thing isn't up to the elegant website --- NOTHING TRANSLATED.
                                   Thanks, also for re-connecting me to YAI's fansite.  I bet it will be a great source of information about the reaction of fans and the reviews via the press, magazine interviews, etc., in Japan (later from other countries, too).  This is where I learned that So Ji Sub will do a cameo in YAI's movie, as Sado's son!  I was starting to feel like a "crazy fangirl" about YAI and stopped following him so much for a while.  "he will be around for a long time" I thought.  His "body of work" will speak for him and the awards will follow later.

@africandramalover:.....I found several sites with Eng subs for "Childless Comfort" .  I like dramacrazy.eu ( rolling through the episode parts is quick and the quality of the video is great --- sort of like gooddrama.net but much FASTER), dramacool.tv, and epdrama.com.
                                   I have not seen "Childless Comfort" yet.  But after clicking on  a reference in the footnote from wikipedia about the writer, Kim Soo Hyun, I will definitely marathon the drama soon.  I read about her before.  She has a long history as a drama writer in Korea and usually tackles important social issues in her work.  Does it really matter that she is 69 years old, a woman, still active at a career high and much respected in a field dominated by men?   

PS:....... The handsome actor, Park Soo Hyun (the adorable "alien" from another planet), comes up every time I try to search on google for Writer Park Soo Hyun ( using  "Park soo-hyun"  didn't help me at all).   If I searched  Google for "Childless Comfort", then "click" on the writer's name  under a list of director, producer, etc., and got there eventually.  She has consistently written SO MANY great dramas! 

PPS:.......As usual, when I have the Forum to myself I just ramble on and on........ so much fun to be here!   Talk to you all again later. :-h

@lisafransisca:......... Thank you for that link to the beautiful  SLA  Japan website........the colors and the arrangements seem  just right and are appropriate for  the high quality of this drama.   Unfortunately, my Google translate thing isn't up to the elegant website --- NOTHING TRANSLATED.
                                   Thanks, also for re-connecting me to YAI's fansite.  I bet it will be a great source of information about the reaction of fans and the reviews via the press, magazine interviews, etc., in Japan (later from other countries, too).  This is where I learned that So Ji Sub will do a cameo in YAI's movie, as Sado's son!  I was starting to feel like a "crazy fangirl" about YAI and stopped following him so much for a while.  "he will be around for a long time" I thought.  His "body of work" will speak for him and the awards will follow later.

I couldn't agree more with your thought on YAI

=D> :x

Hello, all! I lurk here upon occasion, and am so happy to see the old and new contributors!

Wanted to come out of hiding to say, thanks to @mdj101 and @chingulinka's comments above, I started to watch Heard it through the Grapevine, too.

So happy to see Oh Hye Won's best friend as our heroine's awesome mother in HITTG!

Totally agree with you, @mdj101, about the similar tonality of the drama, the lighting, the beauty of it, the actors... Very rich, in keeping with what we're used to from SLA.

And, of course, the use of the music in this show, though so very different from SLA, is once again really unusual in kdramaland -- and is hilarious: from jazz to ethereal-surreal to thriller to Brazilian to Klezmer, of all things... So even though it's completely different from SLA's classical immersion, it's still thoroughly delightful, and completely sells the dark humor and hilarity of this show.

There's also an increase in the hints of "upstairs, downstairs" that we got in SLA with its glimpses into what "the help" thought and gossiped about; in HITTG, that takes up more space, and it's absolutely delightful to see the take of the workers on the very weird behavior of the chaebol parents who think theirs is the obvious way to be. I like that they've taken that theme from SLA and expanded it.

It took me a few episodes to trust that it wasn't going to go all makjang, but once I saw that the heroine wasn't going to get trampled by the chaebol parents, and I "got" the humor, I'm once again sold on this writer-PD duo. Amazing range, those two, to go from A Wife's Credentials and SLA, to HITTG.

(P.S. and OTT, @mdj101, I loved KMHM too - JiSung knocking it out of the park from the very first 'change' that he showed Just. Through. His. Eyes. Amazing acting. /OTT)

• Like 1

I've been rewatching SLA with a notepad in my hands... it's amazing the things I am picking up this time around! In episode 3 I noted 2 things. Bear with me if they've already been raised earlier. 
 OHW and hubby go to LSJ's house to listen to him play in preparation for the entrance exam. There's the little mousetrap incident. :-) 
 1. When OHW hubby runs back to his car,was he being pompous or did he just fear mice as he said? 
 2. There's something to be said for a man fearing mice, but then there's very bad things to say about him leaving his wife in the mouse trap, in another man's house. What absolutely blew me away was the mouse trap is a metaphor/ foreshadowing of sorts. It struck me that the incident could be intended to show how OHW is captured by LSJ, and right under her hubby's nose. 
 This scene also shows the distinct tones of the relationships between OHW and her husband and OHW and LSJ. Hubby doesn't truly care for OHW and leaves her in the mouse trap, in superglue. When prof Kang leaves OHW in LSJ, in LSJ'S house, he effectively leaves OHW to LSJ. Their divorce happened at this point. 
 In the past, Kang has left OHW in sticky situations for her to bail herself out from. At that time she was all alone and handled her business like the boss she is. However, LSJ swoops in and takes her foot, removing her foot from the superglue, foreshadowing the sticky situations he will help her out of. LSJ also carries her to the bathroom and cleans the glue with soybean oil (that's a housewives hack right there). This scene shows how Kang will remove himself from OHW and LSJ will replace him. LSJ will care for her wellbeing , meeting her emotional and physical needs. I bet prof Kang has never rubbed her feet, much less touched them. 
 When LSJ removes the foot from the glue, it says to me that their relationship will only end when LSJ removes himself from it. At the end, OHW tells him that he can move on since she is in jail. As he leaves his apartment he alludes to his return for OHW. Both scenes together tell me that their relationship is not over till he cuts the ties.

• Like 2

@africandramalover : 
OMG!.....Thank you so much!......I can not remember such a beautiful and thorough interpretation of that scene in the past. We did take notice of the touching care  Given HW by SJ, such a contrast with hubby's behavior, and so spontaneously done   Hye Won was moved by SJ's response, but she was in denial at the start of the love affair. 
 "Their divorce  happened at this point".   This reminds me of a comment by PD Ahn that he and the writer left much to be discovered  slowly by the audience individually.   So much was said, never a scene, action, dialog wasted!
@lisafransisca :
I just looked back  to page 65 where you posted the layout of the SLA TV  website in Japan.  I happened to click on the link you cited (  http://c7mikkai.jp/  ) and immediately a short Preview video played  (2 min. 20 sec.).   Stunning how it captured so many essential scenes !  Almost a "mini-SLA review" and  I loved it so much. A tribute to the universal appeal of the drama and the efforts of all who created it.
The DVD set sounds great, but neither I nor my Google Translate can read Japanese  I like the pictures on their website.   8->

<:-P  A rewatch! A rewatch! Hear ye, hear ye! With notepad in hand, no less! <:-P
Very cool, @africandramalover :)

I especially loved this:
africandramalover said: ...
It struck me that the [mousetrap] incident could be intended to show how OHW is captured by LSJ, and right under her hubby's nose. 

@mdj101 @gretac..... thanks for the compliments. I wake up at 4.30am to watch SLA with my notepad in hand, when my head is fresh and clear and the cows across the fence have just started mooing, ready to be milked.... :-) May I now confess that I am Writernim's absolute fangirl. I am holding pompoms and jumping up and down , amazed at her brilliance. She is just THE ONE!!!