[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

Guest istymcm

Just a general question thou; is it a big deal if people in korea call someone just by their name? Like when LSJ called HYW as Yewon?

Just a general question thou; is it a big deal if people in korea call someone just by their name? Like when LSJ called HYW as Yewon?

Where to start. ..... Korea is big on titles and rank. A level of respect must be maintained in how you speak to and address those older, those at your level and those younger. The language has 7 levels of "respect", if I am not wrong. I am sure you've noticed the different words used just to say thank you. They're also big on titles and so they use them. A lot. Actual Names are used with those close to you, it seems.

Anywhoo... because of their teacher student relationship, and age difference, LSJ referred to OHW as teacher (sunbaenim if I'm correct) to show respect to her as a teacher and her position as an older woman. As they get closer in their relationship, he calls her using her name to to show how close their relationship is, close enough to drop honorifics and respectful distances.

That's why it was epic, like the earth splitting in two, when he used her name. She had mentioned that she likes when he uses informal speech with her, and considering that they had slept together, it is only right!!

I got chills when he used her name.

@africandramalover‌ thanks!

Karibu sana!! You're very welcome! !

I just remembered ....... if you use a person's name to call them you show your relationship by the title you use at the end of the name.... so it would be Seon Jae ssi , with the ssi to denote respect and that "distance" , or Seon Jae a, with the A to imply a close relationship or family ties.

That's what I've been able to pick up from the gazillion dramas I have watched. ...

Dropping by to say hi again and share important information with @ktomato Did you know there is actually a kdrama called after you? Tomato! No kidding! http://asianwiki.com/Tomato_(1999-South_Korea-SBS) @cincinc She posts on another site, drop her a personal message and she ll let you know :) Its great to see new people here who are as fascinated by SLA as we were/are when it was aired! It still is the best drama!

chingulinka said: Dropping by to say hi again and share important information with @ktomato Did you know there is actually a kdrama called after you? Tomato! No kidding! http://asianwiki.com/Tomato_(1999-South_Korea-SBS) @cincinc She posts on another site, drop her a personal message and she ll let you know :) Its great to see new people here who are as fascinated by SLA as we were/are when it was aired! It still is the best drama!

seungshinl said: chingulinka said: Dropping by to say hi again and share important information with @ktomato Did you know there is actually a kdrama called after you? Tomato! No kidding! http://asianwiki.com/Tomato_(1999-South_Korea-SBS) @cincinc She posts on another site, drop her a personal message and she ll let you know :) Its great to see new people here who are as fascinated by SLA as we were/are when it was aired! It still is the best drama!

Im watching it again and it's still as addictive and daebak as when I saw it for the first time! WOW! Respect to the team who made this series! We only see the actors, and it's true that they are amazing, but there's also screenwriter, director and the whole team without whom this masterpiece wouldn't have been possible. It is truely a piece of art!

Dropping in to say I watched SLA on DF as soon as subs were up last spring religiously every week and Oh My Freaking Goodness I was blown away. I happen to be a pianist myself, so I was incredibly picky and could find No complaint. Visually...musically...chemistry....ok maybe a few small complaints plot-execution wise but man oh man.

Having just finished Healer, I need some believable feels and so I am back to watch SLA again and slog through 694 pages of SLA soompi goodness :-) Glad to see a thread here!!!

@dramamama5‌ You might find it interesting to have a look at the blog the SLA fans made while we were watching this drama - there is the script translation and many musical pieces and analysis as well as lots of fanlove https://pianoconversations.wordpress.com There are also some Youtube videos - I watched recently the parodies we made with @ktomato and @kalidreamz‌ and @dualnon‌ it was hilarious! We had so much fun in the middle of heartbreak after the end!

Miss you, girls, and @docster6‌ guy! I even miss Richard Simmons ;)
Where, oh where is @mdj101‌ who had promised to be the last one standing?

Guest chajoowon

Their new show as the same lightning, darker indy visuals that i liked so much in SLA.   It has the same calm quality writing, complex characters.   
It has real potential for a drama whose story would look, be done in very cliche way by less talented creators.
They are really great director,writer team they are making the young lead actors as good as they did Yoo Ah In.

Just watched Episode 1 of "I heard it through the Grapevine". Waited for the Viki subs. Total SLA vibe, right from the first scene. Seon Jae must live 2 streets over from Bom's family. The lighting, the camera shots, its all there. So are some of the actors.... That Snake Lawyer Kim is Bom's Dad, lol. It has some slow parts, but I know all that stuff will be background for other things later on. To me it screams: Take Notes! Pay attention! You need this information for future episodes. And my favorite part.... it has the rich people looking like idiots--complete with fortune teller! Bwaaaahaaahaa! I pinky promise everyone not to throw my tablet in a river at the end of this drama, and not to watch under the influence of Vietnamese coffee, and to only watch it with subs.
Edit.  Forgot to add that Ji Soo, Professor Jo's wife is Bom's mother in this drama too.