[Official] SPARTACE COUPLE KimJongkook-SongJiHyo

@Sarita Ramchandani YJS said in Mudo and also on previous Running Man episode that he plans to spend more time with his family and also wants to have another kid. I think not just him, the rest of the members also have their own plans because they thought RM is ending. Even KJK immediately have 2 other shows.

I think the CP said that KJK plays a big part because he's the first one that the CP approached about continuing RM, so he's the first one who knew. Knowing how he is, unable to stay still and loves to be involved in everything (lol), I have no doubt that he really talked to each and every one of the members about continuing the show.

• Like 3

I honestly have today really confusing feelings.

First talking about the last episode I feel was a LKS episode as he was the center of attention, I have to say I enjoy 60% of the episode but honestly when they do so many little games its get really boring, worst that they edited and decide with one we see cutting out how other members pass (I prefer when they play together an now one get cut).

Regarding Gary I was really disappointed with his participation in this episode as he looked in bad physical conditions as after been the faster member he was really behind the other in the chasing, I was expecting the MC think as for me Gary comeback in that episode was the way to have a MC episode for their fans (as this was plan before the continuation of RM decision) but I was really disappointed with Haha line as this are the type of lines that just make worst the battle between shippers as looked like  "poor Gary still have feelings for JH and she doesn't care and  use his feelings, them you at the Spartace moments and of course come the hate of the MC shippers to our Spartace when they could have the MC moment without that line. For me was really obvious that was scripted that KJK have to be ousted to be able to create the MC Moment  

I also feel really frustrated when Haha and LKS was doing their ridiculous play and trying to force KJK and JH to do it as I understand that some people find this type of acting funny, but let each of them be like they are as this is the value of Running Man

Regarding the article about KJK part in the continuation It was obvious he was the one they need it to convinced first, I just hope this decision be the best for all of them as I actually prefer a good end that a bad cancellation.

Regarding new additions I honestly prefer to see just the six of them as for me running man magic is their friendship and chemistry and actually enjoy more the episode without guests. 

I feel the last episodes have been better that the ones of last year specially in the edition part but they are still far a way from 2012-2014 in times were every episode was actually a completely new adventure with really good topic, scenario and edition and this is something that the production teem need to arrange not the members.

Regarding Next Episode I hope they know what they are doing as play with people phobias can be really dangerous and after all this drama I dont see why they have to pass for this.

After washing the 2 episodes of JH new show  and how good MC she is I really hope someone make a new show having JH and KJK as MCs (Image a show as He say She say with this two)

• Like 4

@delusionalduckling I think I've yet to watch Mudo when YJS spoke about his break,but now that you say,I think I read it somewhere before. Mudo will be stopped for almost 2 mths,so I think for YJS and Haha it should be ok,because for the time being they can film RM. And at times if they have RM filming back to back,they can get a longer break. 

But I rather the members start finding their own shows, as if its me,I wouldn't trust SBS. I'll support RM till the day it eventually ends. There needs to be more spartace moments too,its getting lesser.

I feel that to KJK, RM was his everything and it was disclosed by his agency when he was fired. Even with his injuries, he would do anything for RM so this guy actually really loves RM and no wonder he felt unhappy when the mess happened. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, athoughtcloud1 said:

I see it in a different way. Based on JK's behaviour during SBS awards, I would say he was the one who had more issues with SBS. JH was looking comparatively better but it could be coz she had forgiven them by then and was ready to move on. Perhaps JK hadn't forgiven them by then. Hence I think JK had to be persuaded first for RM 2 to continue. JK had also made other plans like his guesting on 1N2D, so seems like he was ready to move on at some point and had to be persuaded to come back. I think both are too kind as people. JH is also soft-hearted. She wouldn't have played the Monday GF so many times even against her will if she had been more self-interested as a person. JH didn't even have an issue with being dunked with the cold water in the first episode they shot after the controversy. JK has a warm heart, but his fatal flaw for me is that he is too trusting of people he loves. You see that in games where he doesn't expect betrayal from Haha and LKS and then ultimately gets betrayed.

But what we get to hear is a very sanitised version of what actually transpired. The news report will always paint it as 'everybody immediately agreed and we decided to continue the show'. But obviously, after all that has transpired, it may not have been that easy to convince both of them and others like Haha who might have had second thoughts since RM has taken such a big toll on his health.  Also, we heard Heechul was demoted, but obviously SBS can't admit to that since that would be admitting it was Gong Heechul who created the mess in the first place. It is their internal matter after all. So I won't completely trust the news reports. My feeling is that unless JK n JH felt justice had been served to some extent, they wouldn't have gone back.

At the same time, SBS is one of the 3 major broadcasting stations. JK and JH might not completely want to sever their ties with SBS in a situation where SBS heads are trying to placate them. That is how it goes in the entertainment industry. You have to play strategically at times to survive and succeed.

I agree with you that they are both too kind for their own good. I really wonder how JK manages to survive so long in the industry being so loyal to everyone. He really doesnt believe that people would let him down. The infamous story of his ex GF with the backup dancer, anyone?

I do agree that SA would not have gone back unless they felt that they were righted, and we can tell by Tiny's tweet of "We win!". I do think this may show that the new PD does defer abit to JK which I think is a good thing after all the severe lack of parity we have seen in terms of screentime and all. I hope they will continue to seek his opinions and make him (and JH) feel wanted. I cannot imagine how awful it would be if they're still constantly ignored and shafted for the Yoo-Lee tandem. 

I have also always said that JH and JK cannot afford to completely antagonise SBS, so I agree with you. As much as people say for them to boycott SBS, it is but one of the 3 main free to air stations, and for a celebrity to survive, JK and JH needs SBS. JK cannot depend on KBS alone (not sure if relations with MBC have been mended). And while JH has quite a number of shows, her last three dramas and her current variety show have all been on cable, RM remains her one and only show on free to air channel. Both JK and Jh need SBS - or at least they cannot afford to completely cut ties with SBS; not now, not in the near future, not ever. This is reality and this is life. Which is why the saying of not burning your bridges really hold true. 

• Like 7

Guest athoughtcloud1

Hadn't noticed this. SBS running man insta saying something like 'we good people. Bad people resigned'. :rolleyes: Well, the admin of the page got to read lots of hate comments, so may be using the opportunity to clear the air. So they do read the comments!

ggg_zps8exlvi8z.png

cre: liuhf1212, SA, RM tieba

Naver - Ilgan Sports: 'Running Man' running once more, Kim Jong Kook convinced the members to continue 

1. [+11,097, -282] The members are such saints..

2. [+8,047, -318] Please never hurt the members again ㅠ Running Man fighting!!

3. [+7,595, -279] Producers, you better be thankful to the members...

4. [+6,343, -216] Since they've already decided to keep Running Man, why not revamp the format? RM, do well

5. [+5,935, -191] Looks like there's was something to learn from Family Outing flopping after replacing the original members

6. [+517, -36] People are criticizing the producers, yeah they messed up but they were likely pressured by the higher bosses... Kwangsoo seemed to have implied that during his award speech

7. [+464, -56] I wanna see RM bringing back those intense name tag battles

8. [+293, -22] Enough with inviting guests please. RM was at its most fun when they used to carry those bells and rip name tags

cre: kkul-jaem

Hope those 11,000 people who liked the first comment watch the show!

Guest athoughtcloud1

@Sarita Ramchandani and @jongimsarang RM has always had scripted segments, so this doesn't surprise me that much. After all, it was Gary's special. It would look pretty anti-climactic if Gary rips LKS' tag and gets out right then or if JK gets him out just 10 minutes after he shows up. But I really don't understand why JK had to be sacrificed for that. They could have instead given Gary more advantages, say a revival card instead of getting JK out in this way. I don't know why but I also suspect like someone here that the expected MC moment would have been awkward for the PDs to create with JK around (like the time they sent off JK on a mission while JH was made to say 'I want you Kang Gary').

The production team hasn't been doing much for any of the members except Yoo-Lee. Things have improved since the whole firing controversy, but still, they need to do more. For instance, the other members' missions were all basically filler missions (just to have them doing something) while YJS and LKS missions got the whole focus. They were both not even on difficult missions, but that is how the production team has been. Yes, I love seeing LKS in his Kwangvatar avatar and YJS doing his Yoomes Bond thing, but can't they give interesting missions to the other members too that the viewers would find fun? JH's power is supposed to be her looks- what in the world is that? If her power is supposed to be her looks, then at least give her a short funny skit where random men on the street faint seeing her beauty or something or give her a funny mission centred around her beauty. What did they make JSJ do - spot the difference? We were not even shown what he was doing! So I would say it is not just JK who is unfairly treated. But yes, in these superpower episodes, he is one member who gets the maximum disadvantages.

I wish they give Haha a wonderful special. He is one of the members who gets the least focus on the show. This episode did give Haha some screen time which I was happy for.

@myrunningman1 Agree with you. In an industry like this, you can survive only if you are diplomatic. You should choose your fights well and should also know when to step back. Look at YJS! He never criticises anybody openly and knows when to hold back and how to get things done BTS. JK and JH took a huge risk going against SBS this way, something very few would have done in their place. They did it with the faith that they had enough relevance in the industry to withstand the backlash and that was proved to be true ultimately. Yes, it may have been really awkward for them to attend the SBS awards, especially for JK when they knew the people in charge were responsible for firing them. Yet because they attended the awards, the ties with SBS weren't severed completely and they were lauded for their loyalty. So it is always better not to burn your bridges.

I don't think JK trusts everybody randomly, otherwise he wouldn't have survived in the industry for so long. But the ones he trusts, seems like he trusts with his whole heart. As far as MBC is concerned, think they are okay now. During MBC Gayo recently, when fans were expressing their worry about him finding work, he said something like 'don't worry. There is KBS, MBC' and then he laughed. But did he really have such an issue with MBC? Wasn't Turbo's first re-union on IC? Een when they came back with 'Again', they promoted on Music Core. So I really wonder whether they had such a tiff!

17 hours ago, coffeecoffee said:

I really love the last ep, and while I am kinda disappointed about JK being ousted so early, I thought the PD did a really decent job. Enough thrilling, fun with great twist. After around 100 eps, I have stopped speculation about scripting and will just enjoy it as it is. I mean, there are around 12-15 hours worth of shooting each ep, we can never know what really happened anyways. Therefore, as hard as it is, please keep supporting the show, and as long as the member enjoy and decide to continue with it, it is fine for me. 

(SJH got a lot of bashing for winning repeatedly in the past, and people claim it was unfair, but I did not think members , including SJH back then or KJK now, even cared that much.)

I think JK lookep relaxed this ep, and I really do not think he was upset because of Gary (after all, they were in a show together for 7 years). Plus, I also think there are not much of MC thingy in this ep, nostalgic moments is understandable, I even got sad when Gary said let s turn back time to 7 years ago. Besides, I really saw Gary being a guest in this episode, the feeling compared to him as regular member is different. On the other hand, Spartace moments are still the same, no matter how little. 

(However, I do understand if you feel other ways.) 

The rating IS UNFAIR. I just dont understand, this ep is comparable to some very good ep in the past. Korean - why do you betray RM? :( 

P.S: I don't mind Spartace gets more interaction or hint onscreen, but just bit by bit , too much at one would create a lot of antifans. All the irrational war between Gary fans and KJK fans are  not worth it, after all we re RM fans. 

I Super-duper-uber-totally agree with your comment!

based on what i have watched in this episode, i enjoyed it.. i laughed, giggles and other happy actions in this ep.. not speculating and not investigating in every RM episode would really help you/us to enjoy the show better. Speculating about the event and script of the episode would only hurt our heads in thinking. Me too, long before, i've told myself  not to speculate about the scripting and would just watch it, as what they (RM PDs) want the viewers to see. Cause in that way, i got to enjoy the show.. 

Me too, although there were only small SA moments, im fine with it.. cause i remember before, even the smallest among the smallest  moment of SA we've seen, were already happy about it. Im just thankful that every sunday we got to witness it, even just for a short moment.

i also agree to you that SJH-KG scene were no romantic or special MC moment but rather just a nostalgic vibe and just a flashblacks. I enjoy his guesting, although i think he lost weight. But in this episode i totally saw him just a special guest but still a family.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, athoughtcloud1 said:

@Sarita Ramchandani and @jongimsarang RM has always had scripted segments, so this doesn't surprise me that much. After all, it was Gary's special. It would look pretty anti-climactic if Gary rips LKS' tag and gets out right then or if JK gets him out just 10 minutes after he shows up. But I really don't understand why JK had to be sacrificed for that. They could have instead given Gary more advantages, say a revival card instead of getting JK out in this way. I don't know why but I also suspect like someone here that the expected MC moment would have been awkward for the PDs to create with JK around (like the time they sent off JK on a mission while JH was made to say 'I want you Kang Gary').

The production team hasn't been doing much for any of the members except Yoo-Lee. Things have improved since the whole firing controversy, but still, they need to do more. For instance, the other members' missions were all basically filler missions (just to have them doing something) while YJS and LKS missions got the whole focus. They were both not even on difficult missions, but that is how the production team has been. Yes, I love seeing LKS in his Kwangvatar avatar and YJS doing his Yoomes Bond thing, but can't they give interesting missions to the other members too that the viewers would find fun? JH's power is supposed to be her looks- what in the world is that? If her power is supposed to be her looks, then at least give her a short funny skit where random men on the street faint seeing her beauty or something or give her a funny mission centred around her beauty. What did they make JSJ do - spot the difference? We were not even shown what he was doing! So I would say it is not just JK who is unfairly treated. But yes, in these superpower episodes, he is one member who gets the maximum disadvantages.

I wish they give Haha a wonderful special. He is one of the members who gets the least focus on the show. This episode did give Haha some screen time which I was happy for.

@myrunningman1 Agree with you. In an industry like this, you can survive only if you are diplomatic. You should choose your fights well and should also know when to step back. Look at YJS! He never criticises anybody openly and knows when to hold back and how to get things done BTS. JK and JH took a huge risk going against SBS this way, something very few would have done in their place. They did it with the faith that they had enough relevance in the industry to withstand the backlash and that was proved to be true ultimately. Yes, it may have been really awkward for them to attend the SBS awards, especially for JK when they knew the people in charge were responsible for firing them. Yet because they attended the awards, the ties with SBS weren't severed completely and they were lauded for their loyalty. So it is always better not to burn your bridges.

I don't think JK trusts everybody randomly, otherwise he wouldn't have survived in the industry for so long. But the ones he trusts, seems like he trusts with his whole heart. As far as MBC is concerned, think they are okay now. During MBC Gayo recently, when fans were expressing their worry about him finding work, he said something like 'don't worry. There is KBS, MBC' and then he laughed. But did he really have such an issue with MBC? Wasn't Turbo's first re-union on IC? Een when they came back with 'Again', they promoted on Music Core. So I really wonder whether they had such a tiff!

This I would have looved seeing song ji hyo waring a miniskirt and walk the street, and see the mens reaction hehe now that would have been a very interesting episode

• Like 1

5 hours ago, athoughtcloud1 said:

Good to know things are still going well with MBC. I havent kept track of his reunited Turbo activities but I heard that when he was promoting Men Are All Like That, MBC didnt really allow him on their music shows to promote because he at that time had shows going on at SBS and KBS (Escape Crisis). I could be wrong though - its been years and I'm basing on memory here 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, myrunningman1 said:

Good to know things are still going well with MBC. I havent kept track of his reunited Turbo activities but I heard that when he was promoting Men Are All Like That, MBC didnt really allow him on their music shows to promote because he at that time had shows going on at SBS and KBS (Escape Crisis). I could be wrong though - its been years and I'm basing on memory here 

As far as I know nothing going wrong with kjk and MBC, kjk appeared in mudo  as Turbo and also in 2016 while mudo went to LA they spotted kjk on the street, and mudo member greeted kjk. well I dunno about promoting accident thought.

I too agree that in korean showbiz industry its really not wise too cut ties with any person or organization. kjk being humble not just this one, he welcome kim jung nam warmheartedly despite being lefted by and no contacted for years (16 years?). He also treated badly by his former boss (turbo management after their contract expired) but he tried too treat him/them nicely, and in the end he got loveable song that gave him 3 daesang from a writer that related to turbo management. So yeah kjk survive long enough in this industries too act naively blinded by anger.

have a nice day:heart:

• Like 4

Man I'm in one of my feels right now and I just want to say I'm really glad to see KJK have other shows beside Running Man :( I remember on episode 295 (?) when the members tell each other their problems and insecurities, KJK said that he thought about leaving RM but he knew he won't be invited to other shows if he gives this up :( I was surprised but really glad to see him immediately have 2 other shows when RM was ending. I feel like other stations straight up tried to snatch him from SBS or something. Good for him, really, I hope he knows how much he's worth now. In my opinion, he really doesn't need RM but I'm glad he still believes in the show and wants to continue.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, delusionalduckling said:

Man I'm in one of my feels right now and I just want to say I'm really glad to see KJK have other shows beside Running Man :( I remember on episode 295 (?) when the members tell each other their problems and insecurities, KJK said that he thought about leaving RM but he knew he won't be invited to other shows if he gives this up :( I was surprised but really glad to see him immediately have 2 other shows when RM was ending. I feel like other stations straight up tried to snatch him from SBS or something. Good for him, really, I hope he knows how much he's worth now. In my opinion, he really doesn't need RM but I'm glad he still believes in the show and wants to continue.

I think he maybe think about timeslot or variety show.I don't see he have problem getting indoor show after he start doing Escape Crisis No1.As we know Sunday variety show are the most watch and  specially 2nd slot of sunday variety which is RM currently airing.KJK had do more than 10 years for that timeslot.If he ready to spread his wing i'm sure other tv station will snatch him but he choose to be loyal to work with SBS.For this time  for others tv station he only taking indoor show,i'm actually glad when he started to take MC offer from others TV because he do have talent as MC and after that he get more offer as MC not only in show,he also MC big event like GDA & the one in Thailand i forget.He can be loyal but if have good opportunity he should grab it.ICSYV happen at the right time!

• Like 6

17 hours ago, mary-ann said:

This I would have looved seeing song ji hyo waring a miniskirt and walk the street, and see the mens reaction hehe now that would have been a very interesting episode

hahaha :grin:

and then came the always-nagging-boyfriend saying "YAH, why is your skirt so short ?" (just like in ep 100)

• Like 9

Saw this long article about Running Man on Singapore's main Chinese newspaper LianHeZaoBao...dated 1 Feb 2017, it took up half the 1st page of its entertainment section....and another half on another page....so considered one full page. Maybe there's another thread/forum to share it....but I'm more familiar with the shippers thread.

I'll summarise only. And maybe some parts are repeated here since same news from elsewhere.

The article title said Large overseas asian fanbase saved Running Man....I think outside asia, also large fanbase.

It started with interviews with a few local fans....how they grow up with RM and one not only watch every ep, he rewatched each one a few times. He also wished RM will come to Singapore to film.

The newspaper interviewed producer Nam who thanked the hosts for their selfless decision to stay on the show (here, the article didn't mention KJK or maybe that news isn't known yet), he said it's not a last minute decision, they had been discussing with the hosts for some time. He's glad of the large overseas fanbase and....uneasy at the same time about "internal problems"....which led to recent issues which he felt unfair to the fans.

Haha was also interviewed saying that it's not a difficult decision for them (meaning him and the rest? to continue the show).....and the big response to the initial cancellation made them realize how much fans support them...they didnt want to disappoint the fans.

The next part of the article talk about the influence this show is to many Asian countries.....educational and intro to Korean stuff.....and also when they came to film overseas...eg the tourists increased for one Taiwan place where RM was filmed in. And how crowded when they held fan meetings.

Next a TV personal, think from Sony Asia tv company said RM is still the best in viewership in this region (I assume asia overall)....after 7 yrs. And China also got their version which started from 2014 and ongoing.

Producer Nam added RM had introduced ppl to watch more Korean variety shows and also get to know more Korean artistes when they appeared in RM.

Next he talked about the recent issues (the drop of 2 hosts, cancellation etc)...he said it's due to lower viewership....which in turn is due to 2 issues : the games becoming boring.....and the PDs (and staff) keep changing so led to less trust and working chemistry.

He said they would get one new person to replace Gary....still in discussion....but they would work harder for fresher, newer ideas. One way to take in new staff....but there's also a risk with newcomers (I think it goes back to the same point above with often changing PDs). 

HaHa said in coming episodes, they would take back some old elements, traditional games....but with new twists/surprises. No details given. 

The side article mentions the factors for the success of RM....

One important factor are the hosts....the individual chars and the charisma/chemistry with each other. Another are the games and weekly themes. Next are expenses, cameras/filming, the hardware etc. And lastly the guests....how they show their true or more free self on the show.

For those who can read Chinese, the article link :

http://www.zaobao.com.sg/news/fukan/cover/story20170201-719452

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Saw this long article about Running Man on Singapore's main Chinese newspaper LianHeZaoBao...dated 1 Feb 2017, it took up half the 1st page of its entertainment section....and another half on another page....so considered one full page. Maybe there's another thread/forum to share it....but I'm more familiar with the shippers thread.

I'll summarise only. And maybe some parts are repeated here since same news from elsewhere.

The article title said Large overseas asian fanbase saved Running Man....I think outside asia, also large fanbase.

It started with interviews with a few local fans....how they grow up with RM and one not only watch every ep, he rewatched each one a few times. He also wished RM will come to Singapore to film.

The newspaper interviewed producer Nam who thanked the hosts for their selfless decision to stay on the show (here, the article didn't mention KJK or maybe that news isn't known yet), he said it's not a last minute decision, they had been discussing with the hosts for some time. He's glad of the large overseas fanbase and....uneasy at the same time about "internal problems"....which led to recent issues which he felt unfair to the fans.

Haha was also interviewed saying that it's not a difficult decision for them (meaning him and the rest? to continue the show).....and the big response to the initial cancellation made them realize how much fans support them...they didnt want to disappoint the fans.

The next part of the article talk about the influence this show is to many Asian countries.....educational and intro to Korean stuff.....and also when they came to film overseas...eg the tourists increased for one Taiwan place where RM was filmed in. And how crowded when they held fan meetings.

Next a TV personal, think from Sony Asia tv company said RM is still the best in viewership in this region (I assume asia overall)....after 7 yrs. And China also got their version which started from 2014 and ongoing.

Producer Nam added RM had introduced ppl to watch more Korean variety shows and also get to know more Korean artistes when they appeared in RM.

Next he talked about the recent issues (the drop of 2 hosts, cancellation etc)...he said it's due to lower viewership....which in turn is due to 2 issues : the games becoming boring.....and the PDs (and staff) keep changing so led to less trust and working chemistry.

He said they would get one new person to replace Gary....still in discussion....but they would work harder for fresher, newer ideas. One way to take in new staff....but there's also a risk with newcomers (I think it goes back to the same point above with often changing PDs). 

HaHa said in coming episodes, they would take back some old elements, traditional games....but with new twists/surprises. No details given. 

One important factor are the hosts....the individual chars and the charisma/chemistry with each other. Another are the games and weekly themes. Next are expenses, cameras/filming, the hardware etc. And lastly the guests....how they show their true or more free self on the show.

what HaHa have said, made me realized even more how good RM members is. they still wanna continue the show even though they suffer a lot for years (HH and YJS multiple injuries, KJK back problem, SJH exhaustion due to her tight schedule, etc) just because they didn't wanna disapoint the fans.

and i agree with the fans. i know more about korean culture (foods, traditional games, places, etc) because of RM. i remember how they have to move to another place for filming because how crowded the original filming spot is. 

what make me confuse , if the reason is only because lower viewship, then why they only drop 2 of the 6 members ? (KJK and SJH) 

wondering who's gonna be the new member is ? better be someone who's been on the show several times (someone who's considered also the member of the family) so he/she wouldn't have a hard time adjusting and making chemistry with the original members  

and i will be looking for when they take back the old elements (nametag ripping, bells hide and seek, fool the guest, punishment for the losing team, etc).

• Like 3

Guest athoughtcloud1

Thank you for sharing and summarizing a wonderful article @Cedric Ong Read it in google translate. RM is a great show despite all that has happened and I can totally empathise with the Singaporean fans they have interviewed here. They seem to have talked to Haha (didn't he visit Singapore recently?). I don't know whether the LKS quotes are from a previous interview. Nam PD seems to give detailed interviews to the Singapore dailies.

I was watching episode 200 recently. It was such a wonderful episode - Asia Cup in Indonesia (which means one gets to see overseas RM fans in the stadium who love the show and the members), the members doing their best in the soccer match and then the zoo missions where everybody got fair amount of screen time (Haha and JSJ were also given focus and YJS' mission which wasn't that hard was given as much screen time as it deserved unlike how it has been recently). When I heard the members talking about running until 1000 episodes at the end of that episode, I felt happy that RM is still on. I really hope that the production team can save the show. The cast chemistry is still so wonderful as we got to see in one of my favourite episodes - the Bad Santa and the member week episodes have all been much better than many of the previous episodes. In this article, they say that Korean RM viewers have been leaving comments on their message boards asking the team to go back to the basic RM format that of the chase instead of trying out new things. http://m.nocutnews.co.kr/news/4726294

The Singapore news article also talks about bringing back the old games with a twist. I do like bells hide and seek (the sound of the bells is something else) and I wish they would revive SA as the strongest couple in case they bring that game back. But I also want them to bring back the slower games in the early episodes where the members just sat around and played games. For me, the slower games were also really charming and those episodes had fair balance between intense games and slower games where the cast could interact more. I am yet to figure out what the k-audience wants. Sometimes I get the feeling they are more into more real-sounding episodes like the JK special which had something different, a blind date as a theme, than ones with the regular RM format. Yet if the korean fans are leaving messages asking for RM to go back to its roots, perhaps there are viewers who would start watching the show once something like that is done.

I hope the team starts asking the members what they want. I remember one of the things we used to discuss here was how the production team needs to listen to the members and their ideas on what to do and the Members' week has been something along those lines (though not totally how I wanted it). I hope they do the membership week thing again and force the members also to think up new ideas they can use for the show.

After all that has happened, it is not going to be easy to win back the trust of the audience. I hope that the production team has learnt from its mistakes and shows us the sincerity it hasn't shown in a long long while.

Btw in his recent interview with the Hong Kong radio station, JK repeated that the thing he wants to do most these days is to get married and that he wants to get married within 2 years.

@chelseafjl8 I checked out 'As I say'. Thank you for the recommendation. I liked it. There are plenty of inspiring stories there and I think Ha Hee Yeol is a good combination (YHY's calm and Haha's wildness balance out each other). Would love to see the RM members also busking on the show. I can totally see ex-KAIST lecturer KJK talking about self-management again on the show. Don't know whether JH will be too shy to do something like this. I am glad she is doing her Beauty show which has let her move out of her comfort zone by forcing her to talk more and interact with the guests and yet hasn't put too much pressure on her since there are other MCs and participants to keep the conversation flowing.

Edited by athoughtcloud1

4 hours ago, Adines Nugraha said:

what make me confuse , if the reaandson is only because lower viewship, then why they only drop 2 of the 6 members ? (KJK and SJH) 

wondering who's gonna be the new member is ? better be someone who's been on the show several times (someone who's considered also the member of the family) so he/she wouldn't have a hard time adjusting and making chemistry with the original members  

They wanted to keep ""gag person"" only i guess. LKS is naturally a gag person, while others are veteran comedian type. I wanted someone with athletic ability, the pds should not make KJK did all the intense physical stuff all the times, plus it reduce the load all of all members. Personally I do not think a cute girl would blend in, people keeps talking about Lizzy, but I watched all the episodes she was in, she did not blend in well with the rest, and she was not physically strong, and she did not banter as well. (SJH got the first 2).

9 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Thank @cedric for such a nice article.

I just rewatched ep 147 (the one with Kim Soo Hyun and they played tug of war with 300 students). The episode was so good even though it has all the things that some netizens always complaint about:

1. JSJ being the weak member. 2. Ji Hyo did not know how to joke back. 3. KJK was in the bullying character. 4. Mini games/ No name tag ripping. 5. The guests did not banter that well. 

However the episode worked like a charm because

1. it was not all filled with gags, but also with members and guests genuinely had fun . 2. Because of 1, no abrupt cutting, everyone got decent  screen time. 3. The guests looked shy at times (which were cute for me) but went all out in games 4. The exaggeration was pretty minimal. 5. JSJ and Ji Hyo dad/daughter relationship -  (many MC related joke but it was mainly convo between JSJ and Gary) . JSJ can be really sweet towards Ji Hyo at times

Most importantly - KJK teased SJH and Ji Hyo fanboys.  And she reacted so differently between KJK and Gary same jokes (laugh at KJK first, but got slightly annoyed when Gary repeated).

For me, If they can''t bring back the running it is fine. I need to see the chemistry and people having real fun. All of them, especially those who got less screen time recently, were so happy back then, most noticeable are SJH and Haha. And I am surprised that they treat a big star such as KSH (who became so famous after Moon embraces sun) equally as each member. And he still stood out for me. Pds do not need to force spotlight on guests, let''s them be natural in the game, and their real personality stand out. 

• Like 5

I think one thing that's been list in the episode is what made RM fun. Yes, it had some good gags, but that wasn't the big selling point of RM. It had diverse kinds of humor because everyone got equal screen time. So you got gag humor as well as character humor and witty humor - there was little of something to appeal to everyone. I personally don't find YJS and LKS that funny, and I have a hard time getting through episodes that focus on the two of them. 

You also had the members and guests trying hard to win the games. The Strongest Couple existed because they tried hard together and were often successful. Now, the Strongest Couple can't exist because the emphasis is on gag humor rather than physical and mental abilities. We see KJK and SJH team up in the most recent episode, but it doesn't last long and they don't get a lot of screen time. I think a lot of people would love to see them team up again, even those that aren't spartace fans, because they were an iconic pairing. I don't think RM needs to go back to the first episodes, but I do think it needs to bring back the competitive side of RM. I feel like someone needs to shake the PDs and writers and explain that watching people overcome difficult things is entertaining. Challenge the members. Not necessarily physically but mentally.

As for a new member... personally I would want two newbies, because that way they will have an easy relationship to forge on the show and it won't be one person intruding on a group of six that have been together for seven years. But RM seems set on just adding one person. My vote is for a female, because I think there is a new and interesting role for a female. I think it would be awesome to give SJH a rival. Of course, they would have to find a female who's willing to go all out and put in the effort, but I think it would mix up the cast dynamics and she would also have an easy variety-relationship with SJH. She could also do a love line with LKS if they were interested in that (personally, I don't like love lines, but RM seems to like them). And a female member would make it feel less like they were trying to substitute KG. They will probably go for a male because K-variety seems to prefer males, but I'm hoping for another woman on the show. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, linzer03 said:

I think one thing that's been list in the episode is what made RM fun. Yes, it had some good gags, but that wasn't the big selling point of RM. It had diverse kinds of humor because everyone got equal screen time. So you got gag humor as well as character humor and witty humor - there was little of something to appeal to everyone. I personally don't find YJS and LKS that funny, and I have a hard time getting through episodes that focus on the two of them. 

You also had the members and guests trying hard to win the games. The Strongest Couple existed because they tried hard together and were often successful. Now, the Strongest Couple can't exist because the emphasis is on gag humor rather than physical and mental abilities. We see KJK and SJH team up in the most recent episode, but it doesn't last long and they don't get a lot of screen time. I think a lot of people would love to see them team up again, even those that aren't spartace fans, because they were an iconic pairing. I don't think RM needs to go back to the first episodes, but I do think it needs to bring back the competitive side of RM. I feel like someone needs to shake the PDs and writers and explain that watching people overcome difficult things is entertaining. Challenge the members. Not necessarily physically but mentally.

As for a new member... personally I would want two newbies, because that way they will have an easy relationship to forge on the show and it won't be one person intruding on a group of six that have been together for seven years. But RM seems set on just adding one person. My vote is for a female, because I think there is a new and interesting role for a female. I think it would be awesome to give SJH a rival. Of course, they would have to find a female who's willing to go all out and put in the effort, but I think it would mix up the cast dynamics and she would also have an easy variety-relationship with SJH. She could also do a love line with LKS if they were interested in that (personally, I don't like love lines, but RM seems to like them). And a female member would make it feel less like they were trying to substitute KG. They will probably go for a male because K-variety seems to prefer males, but I'm hoping for another woman on the show. 

I don't want another woman on the show, I think what makes RM interesting in the variety sense, is that it's a bunch of guys and one girl, it gives it a whole different dynamics, besides i don't think the show will last for long so for the remaining time i just want to enjoy the cast and it's dynamics, when RM ends officially, they can add all they want in a new show, i wouldn't care then, but until then no new member and certainly not a new female!

• Like 3

@mary-ann I also don't see RM lasting more than a year, and in that case, I don't think adding a new member is the way to go. However, the staff seem intent on adding a new member to fill KG's slot, so we do have to ask the question "What kind of new member would we like?" Not that I think we have any say in it, but we're allowed to have opinions, and my vote is for a woman.

FO had two women with a bunch of men in its cast, and it was a great show. The cast dynamics were phenomenal. So I don't think having two women is a bad dynamic to have. The key component is having two women who will have a good dynamic between them. I obviously don't think adding a woman who doesn't get along with SJH or overshadows her is a good way to go, but giving SJH someone to team up with and sometimes have a rivalry with I think is a good way to go. What will another man do? He might struggle to find a role just as KG did, since the other RM men have most of the bases covered. Another male in the cast would feel like SBS just wanted to replace KG, and the other RM members might subconsciously feel that way too and not be as welcoming. I'm not saying it isn't possible to find a male that will fit in well, but will he change up cast dynamics enough to make RM feel fresh again? I don't think a male addition can. But a new female will 1) give SJH a bigger role on the show if the dynamic is done properly 2) have the potential for a new love line 3) force the men to create new characters in their relationships to a new female 4) have another woman on a variety show. Of course it will have to be done well and they would have to pick a woman who RM's audience would accept, but I think another woman member would be better for trying to breathe life back into the show. And as I said, I think two members at once, one male and one female, is a better way to go, but it doesn't seem like that's how RM's staff wants to go.

• Like 4