25 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

One of the comments is "I heard that you are shooting a movie in Gangneung for over a month. Jang Hyuk, you're the main character."

Wow wow, like seriously??!! That would be such a real good surprise, though a drama would have been even greater haha. :biubiu:

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Can't access this Naver post, can screenshot or copy paste the Korean words here?

I tried doing copy-paste, for some reason I can't.

33 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Actually the captions didnt say Heo Kyunghwan face is small. It actually hash-tagged all their names and Heo's name was the last one. Then the last sentence was by itself reading "They're saying your face is too small. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Jang Hyuk is so handsome. You're so nice."

Yeah I love Papago

That's what I thought. If there is anyone we know that has a small face, it's JH :) But I wonder who is "they" that are saying his face is too small... 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Ding77 said:

Wow wow, like seriously??!! That would be such a real good surprise, though a drama would have been even greater haha. 

I prefer a movie though haha

Anyway not as if we have a choice, it is either that or nothing at all.

• Like 4

Welcome @Jiyuu! So happy to have a new fan here, and even happier to read the wonderful things you said about Hyukie!!

Youve watched more shows than me, LOL. In that list, I only watched TMWYS and FTLY. You’re in for a treat since you have not watched some of Hyukie’s best shows ie. MF and BM and MC (LBW was one of his greatest characters, acting wise IMO). Every single scene I was just blown away by his portrayal of LBW. But yeah it’s tiring to fast forward lol. I’d encourage you to join the MF rewatch party too so that you can discuss! (If that’s what you enjoy doing when you watch dramas). Otherwise, take your time haha. 

enjoy the ride and do join us here to gush about our boy! 
:crazymad:

oh wow so he really is filming a movie eh? Hopefully after filming this movie he will do a drama soon. Movies don’t satisfy me cos I don’t know how long I gotta wait to watch it. 

on another note, I recently finished a Netflix original KDrama which I really really enjoyed. It’s called My Holo Love for whoever wants to fill your time with a good show. Heard that it was inspired by the movie Her. Really cool show which has some lightweight social commentary talking about loneliness and whether technology can be a substitute for it in anyway. I really enjoyed the show but if you don’t like female leads who are abit of a damsel in distress then please don’t watch lol. The male lead is Yoon Hyun Min, who was JH’s co-star in BM. I have a soft spot for him! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

Found an old picture Hyuk took with fans during Dusol fan meeting. It made me laugh as  the lady had placed her hand on his chest and Hyuk's smile seemed a little frozen.:joy:

Haha what a hum-sap (lecherous) lady.

Btw u know there is a Dusol outlet in sg? There is a big picture of Hyuk and some other Sidus artistes there.

50 minutes ago, corey said:

BTW, is there any more info available on this new film other that it is noir?

I wonder why is it so secretive though

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

23 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

on another note, I recently finished a Netflix original KDrama which I really really enjoyed. It’s called My Holo Love for whoever wants to fill your time with a good show. Heard that it was inspired by the movie Her. Really cool show which has some lightweight social commentary talking about loneliness and whether technology can be a substitute for it in anyway. I really enjoyed the show but if you don’t like female leads who are abit of a damsel in distress then please don’t watch lol. The male lead is Yoon Hyun Min, who was JH’s co-star in BM. I have a soft spot for him! 

Yeah i need some recommendation now. Did the male lead get injured in the show?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

You guys are too funny haha. 

@corey yes it has romance in it. I would say a romantic drama with a theme of using AI to address loneliness. It is the kind of show that makes you root for both (or 3) leads. They are so likable! Do watch so that I can discuss it with someone lol. 

@Prettysup is loneliness considered and injury? Lol. Loneliness can still me an emotional pain right. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, yoeda said:

I think Midas is the drama that he accept in SBS after all the SeGa chaos. Maybe to lower the blow. 

At that time the WS and AiMH fever is big here. All male lead looking so beautiful but I don't gaga over them. 

Wanted to ask what is the SeGa chaos that he needs to "lower the blow"? And who/what are the WS and AiMH fever? 

6 hours ago, corey said:

Yes, please do join the Money Flower rewatch! It is  very interesting if someone watches for the first time and comments!

Yes, Beautiful Mind was definitely in the top three in the poll, but wasn't it third and Money Flower second? That would be my grading, anyway, since BM is really uneven when it comes to storytelling. MF is very "tight" scriptwriting, namely there are no unnecessary scenes or characters, everyone contributes to the story and the story does not become something else two or three times throughout the drama. Actually, BM is another drama (after MC and TMWYS) that would benefit greatly IMO from having a "Jang Hyuk" cut, that is an edit with JH storyline only.

I started the first two episodes of Money Flower today and I believe it's a really bad idea. It'll be hard to control myself / I doubt I'd be able to satisfy myself with watching just two episodes per week for the next 12 weeks (but I'll try). Worst of all, it's shaping up to be really, really good (and his hair looks better than the Beautiful Mind posters I saw) so I wanted to save this for last.

But too late, I'm hooked! :crybaby:

6 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

What you wrote about missing JH's shows in your regular K drama viewing actually relates to a discussion we've been having here- we've been wondering why so many people miss JH's shows when they first come out. I've been seeing on twitter many similar comments to yours- people that say that only now, with the covid-19, that they started to watch JH's shows and they love it! And all of them said that they never even thought about watching his shows before. And I wonder why that is...

Could you share how you used to choose the shows to watch before COVID-19? Was it the promotion of the shows or was it from media reviews or viewer "best of" lists? I noticed that in those lists the shows that are usually mentioned are those with the highest ratings...  If you saw a mention of a JH show- do you remember what made you back then choose not to watch it?

I will say, that Midas's plot is better than MF's, but JH's performance in MF is way better! JH is mind blowing in MF! So I would suggest- finish midas, and then watch MF :) 

You spoke about JH's range? You will see it demonstrated in Robbers very nicely. Also- since you love FTLY, watching Robbers you might notice a lot of elements that JH tried out there, and then implemented in FTLY. I would say that it was his performance in Robbers that led to the brilliance of Lee gun.

Before covid, I mostly watched based on recommendations and by looking into other projects of actors/actresses that I'm familiar with. I think the many variations of top 10 or 20 best lists floating around in the internet helped a lot too. Like I kept seeing mentions of Signal in must-watch police/crime drama and other crowd favorites like CLOY and Kill Me, Heal Me (though haven't watched this yet). I saw one or two mentions of FTLY but the plot description there didn't sound unique enough (accidentally pregnant, forced marriage).

I think he's not as well-known as he deserves to be for a combination of reasons: (1) his projects are quite diverse that fans who are into certain themes only (like romcom or melo) will not run into a lot of his projects, (2) he's too low-key/self-effacing during interviews (casual clothes, as is hairstyle) that he seems more "accessible" as opposed to those who turn on the star charm 100% all the time, (3) I'm guessing his last mega-hit (Chuno?) isn't exactly a joy to re-watch and was many years ago, he needs a new and hugely successful project to draw in a wider fanbase... maybe something whimsical/fantasy-ish next time that re-establishes him as a romantic lead?

I will try to finish Midas before I reach the middle of MF. Robbers, I had a feeling I'd like it so I've been saving it somewhat for later too. It's interesting that Robbers is about a bad guy who becomes good while Midas is a good guy who becomes bad (who'll hopefully turn back to good).

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

I was browsing IG and found out that Hyukie send a coffee truck to Yoon Hyun Min in Feb 2019! And this was after they worked together in Beautiful Mind in 2016 which was 3 years ago! So sweet of Hyukie to still think of his co star after so long. Hyun Min seemed to really respect Hyukie based on the second picture lol. 

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

42 minutes ago, Jiyuu said:

started the first two episodes of Money Flower today and I believe it's a really bad idea. It'll be hard to control myself / I doubt I'd be able to satisfy myself with watching just two episodes per week for the next 12 weeks (but I'll try). Worst of all, it's shaping up to be really, really good (and his hair looks better than the Beautiful Mind posters I saw) so I wanted to save this for last.

But too late, I'm hooked! 

Oops! Must have forgotten to let you know that the cliffhangers in MF will make it hard to watch 2 per week.. I watched it while it was airing so I can totally understand how you feel..haha! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

56 minutes ago, Jiyuu said:

Before covid, I mostly watched based on recommendations and by looking into other projects of actors/actresses that I'm familiar with. I think the many variations of top 10 or 20 best lists floating around in the internet helped a lot too. Like I kept seeing mentions of Signal in must-watch police/crime drama and other crowd favorites like CLOY and Kill Me, Heal Me (though haven't watched this yet). I saw one or two mentions of FTLY but the plot description there didn't sound unique enough (accidentally pregnant, forced marriage).

I think we need to start posting those top 10/20 lists ourselves... :) It's funny, that the majority of the shows that are recommended in those lists, I can't stand. All of those that you mentioned (Except FTLY, of course :) ) I started and stopped in the first episode.

I think he's not as well-known as he deserves to be for a combination of reasons: (1) his projects are quite diverse that fans who are into certain themes only (like romcom or melo) will not run into a lot of his projects, (2) he's too low-key/self-effacing during interviews (casual clothes, as is hairstyle) that he seems more "accessible" as opposed to those who turn on the star charm 100% all the time, (3) I'm guessing his last mega-hit (Chuno?) isn't exactly a joy to re-watch and was many years ago,

you know- I thought I noticed his self-effacing, as you said, behavior in interviews and premiers. I thought it was just me being a fan of JH that I was thinking that. Good to see another person confirm it :lol: you are right, he doesn't carry himself like a star, he doesn't behave like he is something special and he never flirts with the crowd. As a result, I think all those screaming fans in those events, feel like it would be odd to scream at him, as he seems normal like them, usually very uncomfortable. 

About him doing diverse projects, I think you are right, and I don't think that is going to change. It's clear some of the most successful K dramas are rom coms, and JH rarely does them. Some think he's not being offered them, but I think it's because most of them are so bad and formulaic (even the successful ones). It seems like JH is looking for either a new role that will challenge him, or a similar role to a previous one that he wasn't satisfied with. 

But I don't mind about this about him- I think it's one of the reasons I enjoy his projects so much.

he needs a new and hugely successful project to draw in a wider fanbase... maybe something whimsical/fantasy-ish next time that re-establishes him as a romantic lead?

I hope. But the thing is the role has to be good and challenging to him, or he wouldn't do it. Or if one of his friends will ask him to do such a role as favor. In that case, he will do it :D

I will try to finish Midas before I reach the middle of MF. Robbers, I had a feeling I'd like it so I've been saving it somewhat for later too. It's interesting that Robbers is about a bad guy who becomes good while Midas is a good guy who becomes bad (who'll hopefully turn back to good).

Robbers is a very unique K drama. Has unique characters and situations. I think it was a very brave choice for JH do that role. 

In Midas he didn't really go bad. His annoying girlfriend thought he did, but I don't think he really did. He just did his job to best of his abilities. But don't worry, even that little bad he had he lost in the second part of the show. I actually thought he became a bit too good.. <_<

• Like 2

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Oops! Must have forgotten to let you know that the cliffhangers in MF will make it hard to watch 2 per week.. I watched it while it was airing so I can totally understand how you feel..haha! 

It is impossibleeeeee to watch only two eps a week. MF is too adictive. 

@Jiyuu I agree with your analysis about why JH is probably not more “popular”. All those reasons make sense. I think if he has a reputation, its mostly in sageuk. They use the phrase “King of sageuk” and “You can trust Jang Hyuk in sageuk” in Korea. But those genres are more popular in Korea than outside, and especially the more “traditional” sageuk, action oriented etc tends to be popular with men (not the traditional kdrama audience which tends to be female) and sageuk (not talking about the pop sageuk of recent years though) but anyway, I was told that historicals were mostly favored by an older audience in Korea. And it is my impression that outside of Korea this is not the most popular genre (except maybe in other asian countries (?)) I may be wrong. So yeah JHs choices are unique and kind of niche. It makes it hard for him to be a trendy actor. 

• Like 4

Hello @Jiyuu welcome here :))

Nice reading you guys comments. I am one of minority for not liking FTLY too. The same to @Prettysup I also find it too cringe. 

Anyway when I watched JH's works I can't say I completely dislike or like. I eventually ended up liking some parts of his every work despite complaining everything while watching. :lol: I often rewatch his works but only his scenes though. 

Midas is one of my favorites. Although I hate first half when they make it look like Do Hyun falls in love with the CEO. I can stand JH playing a serial killer and psychopath rather than a cheater. That's why I can only watch 'Innocent Thing' once. 

Aside from drama, I think many of his movies are good. For example; The Client, Searching for Elephant, Dance of the Dragon ,etc. 

By the way, I think JH can raise his popularity or gain his fanbase by playing in a romantic drama with him looking and dressing very handsomely and having nice hairstyle. :lol:  I find that many popular dramas include love story and have strong chemistry between leads.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jiyuu said:

I started the first two episodes of Money Flower today and I believe it's a really bad idea. It'll be hard to control myself / I doubt I'd be able to satisfy myself with watching just two episodes per week for the next 12 weeks (but I'll try). Worst of all, it's shaping up to be really, really good (and his hair looks better than the Beautiful Mind posters I saw) so I wanted to save this for last.

But too late, I'm hooked!

Oh didnt know that the rewatch had a rule of 2 eps per week haha. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nyk said:

Hello @Jiyuu welcome here :))

Nice reading you guys comments. I am one of minority for not liking FTLY too. The same to @Prettysup I also find it too cringe. 

Anyway when I watched JH's works I can't say I completely dislike or like. I eventually ended up liking some parts of his every work despite complaining everything while watching. :lol: I often rewatch his works but only his scenes though. 

Midas is one of my favorites. Although I hate first half when they make it look like Do Hyun falls in love with the CEO. I can stand JH playing a serial killer and psychopath rather than a cheater. That's why I can only watch 'Innocent Thing' once. 

Aside from drama, I think many of his movies are good. For example; The Client, Searching for Elephant, Dance of the Dragon ,etc. 

By the way, I think JH can raise his popularity or gain his fanbase by playing in a romantic drama with him looking and dressing very handsomely and having nice hairstyle. :lol:  I find that many popular dramas include love story and have strong chemistry between leads.

I can feel you on the part about always complaining yet liking everything about him haha. I am currently rewatching his variety shows selectively now, despite them being too much over-watched already haha. :hwaiting2:

Yeshhh I think he has yet to meet his next massively popular work after Chuno. MF is real good but it wasn't the well loved genre imo. I would so love to see him in another Romcom hehe. :P

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

@Ding77 MF is allegedly his most successful work after Chuno in Korea, in terms of ratings, awards, good press etc. The problem is outside of Korea imo. Koreans do seem to like their makjang but maybe consider it a guilty pleasure? I have the feeling his most successful recent work outside of Korea would be FTLY and or maybe Voice? At least those were/are found on major streaming services in many countries. The Flu has also made him somehow known. The movie did really well on streaming services during the early stages of the pandemic as many other apocalyptic / disaster movies (sadly) 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

1 minute ago, dramafan33 said:

@Ding77 MF is allegedly his most successful work after Chuno in Korea, in terms of ratings, awards, good press etc. The problem is outside of Korea imo. Koreans do seem to like their makjang but maybe consider it a guilty pleasure? I have the feeling his most successful recent work outside of Korea would be FTLY and or maybe Voice? At least those were/are found on major streaming services in many countries. The Flu has also made him somehow known. The movie did really well on streaming services during the early stages of the pandemic as many other apocalyptic / disaster movies (sadly) 

But MF only succeeded in terms of ratings, awards, it didn't seem to make him as popular as Chuno did or landed him with more commercial deals? I'm not too sure but I feel it wasn't at the scale of Chuno. Outside of Korea yeah it has to be FTLY and maybe Voice. Most of my friends knew him from FTLY. His movies are not really widely known, maybe Flu better than the rest. He's really a gem that is still waiting to be found. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

14 hours ago, corey said:

Ha ha, another friend who is participating in re-watching Money Flower has  just confessed to the same - binge watching MF rather than just watching 2 eps per week. It is awesome that you like it!

Sorry ya friend, I'm slow. I don't get the re-watching thingy. Watch & discuss at where? MF is my top fav....

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Sorry ya friend, I'm slow. I don't get the re-watching thingy. Watch & discuss at where? MF is my top fav....

On the Money Flower thread here on Soompi. A group of people started rewatching and some are watching for the first time. This week they are commenting eps 1 and 2, next Tuesday the discussion for eps 3 and 4 starts and so on. I’ll try to watch 1 to 4 this weekend and join next week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1