Lee Jong Suk 이종석 イ・ジョンソク ♥ Drama 2022: Big Mouth, 빅마우스 | Movie 2022: Decibel, 데시벨

hilllllllly

Yes, I found this on DC as well (see https://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=drama_new3&no=4706267). There was something on there that said that Disney simply paid more than Netflix did for streaming rights. 

Ahhh I think I need to find a place to give Disney feedback before this happens... So far I've noticed that they are releasing Kdramas in my country weeks or months after they have aired in Korea, which is quite a medieval attitude. They may be new to Kdramas, but the audience is NOT. We are used to watching them the day they air, not months later when everyone has already forgotten about them... I hope either another service picks it up where I live, or Disney wakes up and becomes more active. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, frozentundra said:

So far I've noticed that they are releasing Kdramas in my country weeks or months after they have aired in Korea, which is quite a medieval attitude.

I feel that. It's like they want to meddle in something they don't know anything about. Snowdrop was just added to Disney+ US and it's been off the air for weeks at this point. They have a very segregated attitude about k-dramas in general. I was happy to see they do exclusive interviews similar to The Swoon does for Netflix dramas, but they don't offer english subtitles unless it's on an english speaking country's subdivision. They uploaded an interview for Snowdrop on the Korean Disney+ page, so no english. But they uploaded an interview with the cast of Rookie Cops to Singapore's Disney+ page, and it was translated. I know that makes sense in theory, but that just isn't how the k-drama community works. To separate us by country when we are all stepping outside those borders to watch Korean content in the first place makes little to no sense. 

This is a very strange situation. In some respects, getting picked up by Disney+ for so much money is the highest honor, but at a pretty steep price for the people wanting to watch and support it.

ETA

Hmm. I don't know why, but a lot of what Yoona has been saying seems to contradict what Jongsuk says. A few months back, he said the drama was about a newlywed couple and made that seem like a core component. The pictures we've seen (as well as the synopsis) seem to back that up. He also said in his video interview with Elle that they were reaching the end, while she makes it sound like they just started filming the second half. Maybe the translation is just a little bit off. 

• Like 3

Or maybe they interviewed her before they did his interview?

The stated genre is noir, not romance. My guess is more crime and action, less bubbly hearts. Being newlyweds probably is the motivating factor for the characters working hard to clear his name (and also what bad guys can hold over their heads to threaten them with). So I think you have to establish that fact, yes (so the pictures we've seen), but then the actual main plotline is solving this mystery/clearing his name, etc. But hey...we'll see.

As for Disney, I know people in Europe who are not happy about this, as they don't even have Disney there. Hopefully another service will pick it up for that region, then? But this:

2 hours ago, hilllllllly said:

that just isn't how the k-drama community works. To separate us by country when we are all stepping outside those borders to watch Korean content in the first place makes little to no sense. 

100% this. 

• Like 3

Our only hope is that Disney has already heard the complaints from fans of the drama's they've aired so far and the treatment of Big Mouth will be different. Either that, or A Story was smart enough to negotiate for international streaming and airdates. As of now, we have no idea which countries are included and excluded. I'm assuming that in the case of Snowdrop, they agreed to give Disney+ US exclusive rights (even if at a later date), so they couldn't supply the western market with any alternative for real-time viewing.

In the future, they should agree for all countries to get the drama at the same time, or exclude certain regions from the contract entirely so they can watch it on another platform. It really isn't fair to release a drama to 5 countries in Asia, call that international coverage, and demand that it somehow covers North/South America, Europe, etc. They should be fair game for Netflix if Disney is only going to cover select parts of Asia. 

3 hours ago, frozentundra said:

The stated genre is noir, not romance. My guess is more crime and action, less bubbly hearts. Being newlyweds probably is the motivating factor for the characters working hard to clear his name (and also what bad guys can hold over their heads to threaten them with). So I think you have to establish that fact, yes (so the pictures we've seen), but then the actual main plotline is solving this mystery/clearing his name, etc. But hey...we'll see.

Big Mouth is definitely not a romance, but then again, neither were most of his other dramas and the love element was still a very important part of all of them. I've read a lot of twitter comments that took her comments to mean there wouldn't be any kissing or romance involved, so her answers did come off as a firm denial of something they were hoping for. Jongsuk is very good at being specific while carefully choosing the right words, while Yoona was being a lot more vague about something we know very little about. That is obviously going to create misunderstandings, though I'm sure that wasn't her intention.

• Like 3

Hopefully by the time this airs, they understand their market a bit more... 

As for the drama itself, nearly every drama has a romance element, and I would assume no different from this one. But whether it's the main plot or part of fleshing out realistic characters who act in the main plot, that varies from drama to drama. I'm sure there will be enough emotion of whatever kind to be satisfying to viewers, though. This IS a Lee Jong Suk drama, after all!

• Like 3

So, it's official that Our Blues will be airing in April, and seems pretty likely that Big Mouth will be airing directly after them in June. If Our Blues doesn't skip any weeks, it should premiere on June 18th and wrap on August 7th. Return was originally scheduled to premiere in that spot, but recent reports about Disney+ buying Big Mouth say it will air in the middle of the year. Other recent reports are saying it'll premiere in the first half, as well. So for now, it seems safe to assume they've been moved up and Return has been pushed back. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, frozentundra said:

I wish the twitter poster had included a tiny bit more from that interview. What does he mean about IHYV?

It looks like they tried to translate an incomplete sentence, so there really isn't any way of knowing what he said until we get the interview ourselves. He's probably drawing a parallel between the dramas.  I saw a picture of Yoona filming Big Mouth in front of what looked like a court house, so it wouldn't surprise me if he sees similarities in the script and maybe even how they incorporate romance, but it's hard to say. I hope we get the interview soon!

• Like 4

Ah, referencing the actual article here: https://www.elle.co.kr/article/64214 it's clear with the IHYV line is about. It's a question from Elle, it notes that JS has a history of working with the same production crew more than once. Not just Big Mouth (JS worked with the same director in While You Were Sleeping), but he also did a repeat work with the director of I Hear Your Voice when he took on Pinocchio. The question from Elle is about what kind of partner he likes to be with the people he works with. His answer is that usually after working together, he likes to get together with people because of the good memories on set. And that it's a lot of fun to work with good people. 

• Like 4

Kpopmap Fan Interview: An Indian Fan Talks About Her Favorite Actor Lee JongSuk & The Reasons Why She Loves Himspacer.png

Are you also curious about fellow K-Drama fans?! Let's hear their stories and interests in Kpopmap Fan Interview Project.

There are K-Drama fans across the globe who share the same passion. But on online platforms, it is hard to know about each other' stories and tastes. Even if we are in the same fandom, it is hard to get to know each other.

So at Kpopmap, we started the Kpopmap Fan Interview Project to get to know more about K-Drama fans from different countries. Just like the Kpopmap Fan Interview for idols, the Kpopmap Fan Interview for actors aims to open the opportunity for fans to promote, talk about, and share their love for their favorite actor/actress with our readers. 

Anushka is the next fan to answer our questions about her favorite actor. She is from India and is a fan of Lee JongSuk! Check out how she became his fan, the reasons why she is a fan, the dramas she recommends, and much more insights about Lee JongSuk.

Can you introduce yourself? Where are you from?

Hello, I'm Anushka Ghosh from Kolkata (West Bengal), India.

Who is your favorite Korean actor/actress? And how and when did you become a fan?

My favourite Korean actor is Lee JongSuk. So it all started in the year 2020 in the month of December when one of my friends suggested me to watch the K-Drama "While You Were Sleeping" with Lee JongSuk, Bae Suzy, and Jung HaeIn. His acting skills made me fall for him and he became my favourite K-Drama actor. He was my first favourite K-Drama actor.

Kpopmap Fan Interview: An Indian Fan Talks About Her Favorite Actor Lee JongSuk & The Reasons Why She Loves Him

What are the reasons why you love your favorite actor?

First, definitely, he's handsome and his smile will make anyone fall in love with him no doubt in that. Apart from that his acting skills are amazing and his duality is beyond our imagination and his cute aegyo makes me fall for him even more. He's also humble and he treats his fans so well.

Can you recommend dramas or movies starring your favorite actor for new fans?

The K-Dramas I'll recommend of Lee JongSuk to new fans are:
"While You Were Sleeping", "W", "Pinocchio", and "Doctor Stranger".
As for movies: "V.I.P".

Do you have an all-time favorite scene? Can you describe it or share a video?

Of course, there are lot but my all time favourite scene of Lee JongSuk would be when his sweet interaction with an adorable baby in the K-Drama "Doctor Stranger". I'm sure that scene made every K-Drama fan's heart flutter.

What was your favorite answer given by your favorite actor in an interview?

My favorite answer was given by Lee JongSuk in an interview recently. He was answering some of the fan questions with Elle (Korea) so there was a question that the fan asked that what he would say if he met his younger self and the answer he gave was even if it affects you a little later try to become more of an extrovert who gets energy from others and train yourself to become that way since he's already an introvert and also me being an introvert I can totally to relate to him due to which the answer he gave to this question is my favorite.

Kpopmap Fan Interview: An Indian Fan Talks About Her Favorite Actor Lee JongSuk & The Reasons Why She Loves Him

What is your favorite actor's influence on your daily life or yourself?

His influence on my daily life, honestly I have to think a bit about this but not only in daily life but the characters that he played in the K-Drama inspires me also I feel motivated when I watch his Interviews with different news channels and on entertainment shows.

For Kpopmap readers who are not familiar with Korean dramas/movies yet, please tell us what makes Korean actors and Korean dramas/movies attractive to you.

The thing that makes K-Dramas attractive also popular is their plot and different genres, the genres of K-Dramas are huge from romance to thriller to korean history. You also get to learn and know a lot about Korean traditions, culture and heritage from the K-Dramas and you'll just see how beautiful places Korea has. Also, the plots are really well written in K-Dramas and their production is on another level. Also literally all the K-Drama actors are good looking and their acting will make the K-Dramas more interesting to watch.

What genre do you want your favorite actor to appear in? What's the reason?

I want Lee JongSuk to appear in thriller or crime kind of K-Dramas and I want him to act as a villain in it. He already did a lot of romantic dramas being the handsome, sweet guy but now I want to see that other side of his acting. Him being a villain would show us his duality skills also he didn't do much crime and thriller dramas so that's also another reason I want him to act in this genre.

What are the actors you would like your favorite actor to act with? What's the reason?

The actor I would like Lee JongSuk to act with is Han HyoJoo I know they did a drama before together but to be honest their chemistry and acting was so good that I want to see them together on screen again. Also, it would be really amazing if Lee JongSuk get's the opportunity to do any K-Drama or film with Park SeoJoon cause we all know both of them are amazing actors and if they are in a K-Drama or film together I know that K-Drama or film will become more better.

Do you feel there are any misunderstandings, things that are not well known, or any prejudices about your favorite actor?

I don't think there are any misunderstandings or prejudices about Lee JongSuk.

You can also add a message to your favorite actor or show it on a message scrapbook.

Firstly you were my first favorite actor, your acting skills made me fall in love with K-Dramas and you of course. I hope you stay healthy and happy and always keep smiling as you literally make our hearts melt with that smile of yours. Hopefully, I get to attend your fanmeet one day and you visit India.
Oppa fighting!!
Love from India.

Thank you for answering our questions, Anushka.

https://www.kpopmap.com/kpopmap-fan-interview-an-indian-fan-talks-about-her-favorite-actor-lee-jongsuk-the-reasons-why-she-loves-him/

• Like 2

I'm super happy to see signs of Big Mouth coming really soon. I'm also really happy about Disney+ Singapore clarifying that it's english title will be Big Mouth (and not Big Mouse). Yay for progress! But I'm still kind of worried about the release date. At around the same time as this news was released (already a bit fishy), tvN released a bunch of new information about Return, which was originally set to air after Our Blues on tvN in the first half of the year. What makes me really nervous is that tvN's IG account posted "coming soon" with stock images of the cast, exactly like they did for Our Blues a few weeks before official confirmation that it would be airing next. If Return really is next and scheduled to air in June, that means Big Mouth won't be released until August 27th. That's obviously not the first half of the year or mid-year, which we've been hearing lately.

What I do find interesting is the sudden disappearance of tvN from the official reports. In the Naver release confirming Big Mouth for Disney+, they said it would air on Disney+ and "domestic broadcasters" at the same time. Why wouldn't they just say tvN? I also noticed that Disney+ didn't tag tvN in their post about it. Is it possible it's changing networks to be released sooner? A lot of official reports aren't exactly adding up and maybe that's why?

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1