Lee Jong Suk 이종석 イ・ジョンソク ♥ Drama 2022: Big Mouth, 빅마우스 | Movie 2022: Decibel, 데시벨

hilllllllly

Wow... very, very interesting news! I'm curious to see what this means for A-man (are they just merging into History D&C?) and how this will help (or hinder) things moving forward.

Also, I'm well aware that it's April Fools Day, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't write press releases for Naver just to prank us.

• Like 4

Perhaps LJS is looking to retain control over his rights while benefitting from improved PR handling.  It’s 3 years since he started military service. Social media during the pandemic has exploded and needs to be regularly fed and watered.  ..

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Panther4eva said:

Perhaps LJS is looking to retain control over his rights while benefitting from improved PR handling.  It’s 3 years since he started military service. Social media during the pandemic has exploded and needs to be regularly fed and watered.  ..

Honestly, agreed. He had a particular method before enlistment that worked really well for him, essentially relying on a drama per year and fan meetings to keep him visible. Well, fan meetings have been a no-go and his last project was 3 years ago, so that method is dead. I'm sure that will change once his drama is released and Korea opens up again (which will probably be happening soon), but it looks like History D&C has a very active social media presence. If the partnership includes using their social media people for A-man updates, that would be great, but the fact that A-man never even posted about the news makes me weary. 

Why do I feel like we're going to get an announcement about him doing a drama alongside someone from History D&C or one affiliated with the CEO, Hwang Ki Young?

• Like 1

Yes, the backlog of dramas/movies waiting for slots is doing him no favours.  The timing of setting up A-Man Project was awkward, less than a year before military service so barely enough time for it to fully develop inline with his plans.  Then 2 years of being babysat, so probably needs significant effort to kickstart the structure someone of his stature needs to maintain his position.

I hope this alignment works well for him and that he retains control over selecting hi projects.  I wouldn’t necessarily be averse to him doin drama alongside D&C artists a long as he wasn’t expected to carry them.

• Like 2

With Twenty Five Twenty One wrapping up this week and Our Blues premiering on the 9th, we are very close to hearing official news about what will be airing on tvN in June... and I am 99% sure it's going to be Return instead of Big Mouth. I just want to put this out there because my hopes always cloud my judgement and I can just see myself having a meltdown about "another setback" when all the signs have been pointing to this for quite awhile. 

7 hours ago, Panther4eva said:

I wouldn’t necessarily be averse to him doin drama alongside D&C artists a long as he wasn’t expected to carry them.

This is something I worry about. Jongsuk told a story once about being a poor freelance model with no money, but still always offering to pay for lunch with friends, even if that meant he was walking home. I think everyone in the industry forms alliances, but I hope he never gets screwed over by his loyalty. I'd love to see him branch out and work with new people for his next drama.

I don't know the specifics of this new deal with History D&C, but I'm taking it as confirmation that he knows things need to improve. I don't think Jongsuk feels like "he's back", nor do I think he will until one of his movies or Big Mouth is released. I will be very surprised if things continue to drag and be so boring once that happens, and this looks like proof that things are being prepared. I just wish he realized he doesn't need to be actively promoting something to be relevant to us. He always seems to carry guilt and then go quiet (2015 comes to mind) when he isn't active.

ETA:  https://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=jongsuk&no=381797&page=1

It looks like his Korean fans are really upset by everything too. Lots of people in that thread saying they were waiting for A-man to post BTS of his Elle photoshoot, post anything about his debut, and think it's weird they haven't even posted about their new partnership. The OP mentioned A-man hasn't posted a single thing about Jongsuk since 2021.

Once again, I'd like to think this partnership is a sign of change, but I don't see it. 

• Like 1

i think it’s also worth mentioning that i used to follow one of a-man’s pr/marketing/social media person (i don’t exactly know what his position is) on instagram some time ago.

at some point in time they said the person who had been handling a-man’s social media presence was feeling pressured and apparently depressed by the “hate” comments the agency was receiving. they said they were doing their best to promote the artists and that criticism was unnecessary. at the time as well both korean and overseas fans were complaining about the agency’s lack of promotion. someone, a korean fan, tried to explain to them that fans just wish they had behind the scenes pictures, videos or content in general, and that they were just coming from a good place and not really hating on a-man. especially if we consider they promise they’ll post about this and that and then they don’t deliver.

• Like 4

If media was handled by only one person, then I can see they would be stressed.  They would operate in reactive mode constantly rather than working to plan, and as a result seeing more negative feedback even though sources were trying to outline solutions.   And I guess choices my have been limited by the rules of military service.

The reaction to his change of image was sensational - I’m hoping we’l see more of that and more relaxed commercial shoots.

Let’s see what tomorrow brings. It can only get better.

• Like 3

I am hoping that a partnership with this other agency will provide some more backing and support. It's true that promo seems to have dropped off. I didn't realize they felt they were getting a lot of hate comments. The brief brushes I've had with trolls/hate comments as just a fan have not been pleasant (seriously, there are people out there who are really NOT WELL in the head), and I can't imagine what it must be like to be not a bystander but the actual target. Still, in entertainment you will always have a certain amount of such dissatisfied people, so you've got to find a way to distance yourself a bit and share the burden so it's not too hard on any one person. 

If anyone from A-Man drops by this thread (lol, probably not, but just in case)--cheer up! For a very small agency, you've done well in getting good work for your clients. Just ignore the weirdo trolls; there are zillions more people who are looking forward to what comes next from your actors and will happily support them.

• Like 3

On 4/4/2022 at 12:21 AM, jongkkot said:

at some point in time they said the person who had been handling a-man’s social media presence was feeling pressured and apparently depressed by the “hate” comments the agency was receiving. they said they were doing their best to promote the artists and that criticism was unnecessary. at the time as well both korean and overseas fans were complaining about the agency’s lack of promotion.

Thanks for sharing this. It kind of has me worried about whats going on at the dc forum right now. The first page is being flooded with demands that A-man start doing their job and fans are encouraging each other to stand up to them. From what I can gather, they feel this waiting period has been too long, unfair, and that whoever responds to the fans via A-man is cold and lacking. I can understand the frustration of trying your best and reading ungrateful comments, but they aren't running their own personal and optional social media page. This is a business and they are representing others. The proper response to legitimate criticism in business is cooperation, change, and growth. I just hope what the fans at dc are planning to do goes well and doesn't just cause more hurt feelings and irritation. We do deserve more after waiting 3 years, even if it's just an explanation.

• Like 2

Just read those posts on DC. :( I am really hoping that the partnership with History DNS will help. It's reasonable to have nothing for 2 years in military and then have a little time to get back into things. It's unfortunate but understandable that JS can be working nonstop since getting out and then having his projects delayed by covid. But now he's got a drama going on. Well, the schedule of that as well is not fixed, as now Disney has taken over (and I probably should not voice my thoughts on that again, but I wish it was on a different platform, one that more people can watch). Maybe all of the filming is inside, maybe this is the new normal when it comes to filming dramas, I don't know (there is less buzz about others as well), but I do certainly miss the days when you would hear more news about dramas being filmed. And I'm so surprised that the agency didn't say anything at all on his debut anniversary. Maybe they were just busy with the details of the new partnership. I'm hoping the partnership will make the promo less of a burden, so it's not so stressful for the promo people. 

JS is an excellent actor and a decent, hard-working person. An A-lister, with Korean and international fans both! A lot of people out here want to support him. I just really hope for things to start working out better for him soon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, frozentundra said:

as now Disney has taken over (and I probably should not voice my thoughts on that again, but I wish it was on a different platform, one that more people can watch).

i saw you previously mentioned that you heard disney+ is not available in europe. i don't know about other countries but i can speak for mine specifically, which is in europe, and we do have access to disney+.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

32 minutes ago, jongkkot said:

i saw you previously mentioned that you heard disney+ is not available in europe. i don't know about other countries but i can speak for mine specifically, which is in europe, and we do have access to disney+.

Glad to hear you've got it now. It's spreading but I know it's not in all countries yet. Hopefully they keep expanding. Where I am (US/Canada) of course there is Disney+ but they don't bother airing Kdramas until long after they are done airing in Korea. I am really hoping that changes by the time Big Mouth comes around! 

• Like 3

A lot of his Korean fans on the dc forum have already started writing to A-man and plan to do even more on Saturday... and I have mixed feelings. On one hand, it can't be overstated how long we have waited or how much better his agency could have been through all of this, but on the other hand, don't they already know that? What is a bombardment of angry fans going to do to fix anything? I really don't understand the recent partnership with History D&C, but what it does tell us is that they know they need help. If they are struggling beyond our understanding or doing everything they can to save the company, these messages aren't going to feel good.

I feel horribly sad for us because this wait (especially on top of covid and other world events) has been a nightmare... but what about Jongsuk? He lost his cafe, his ability to meet with fans, and his entire industry is a mess. I'm positive that filming isn't as fun as it once was with all the protocols and whatnot. Yet, he's done nothing but work for a year and a half with no certainty of when it's actually going to pay off, and now we're going to attack his agency? HIS agency. It isn't like before when he was the victim of his agency's screw ups. This comes down to him in one way or another. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel relieved when I heard they were going to confront them because even if it's just a little communication... something has to change. 

I guess we're just in a tight spot right now. I remember feeling like our exhaustion was obvious when his 12th anniversary rolled around. Our hearts weren't in it like previous years, and either was his. We're all running on empty. I just hope whatever happens can bring us together instead of making any or all of us feel worse. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, hilllllllly said:

A lot of his Korean fans on the dc forum have already started writing to A-man and plan to do even more on Saturday... and I have mixed feelings. On one hand, it can't be overstated how long we have waited or how much better his agency could have been through all of this, but on the other hand, don't they already know that? What is a bombardment of angry fans going to do to fix anything? I really don't understand the recent partnership with History D&C, but what it does tell us is that they know they need help. If they are struggling beyond our understanding or doing everything they can to save the company, these messages aren't going to feel good.

I feel horribly sad for us because this wait (especially on top of covid and other world events) has been a nightmare... but what about Jongsuk? He lost his cafe, his ability to meet with fans, and his entire industry is a mess. I'm positive that filming isn't as fun as it once was with all the protocols and whatnot. Yet, he's done nothing but work for a year and a half with no certainty of when it's actually going to pay off, and now we're going to attack his agency? HIS agency. It isn't like before when he was the victim of his agency's screw ups. This comes down to him in one way or another. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel relieved when I heard they were going to confront them because even if it's just a little communication... something has to change. 

I guess we're just in a tight spot right now. I remember feeling like our exhaustion was obvious when his 12th anniversary rolled around. Our hearts weren't in it like previous years, and either was his. We're all running on empty. I just hope whatever happens can bring us together instead of making any or all of us feel worse. 

Something wrong with Lee Jong Suk's agency? Or are they just slow to progress and bad at promotion stuff? That's why they teamed up with Song Joon Ki's agency to get better at social media promotion. Makes sense then, I hope such collaboration will get LJS's dramas and projects to air quickly. Maybe Jongsuk drama just be delayed second half because he's still filming Big Mouth. I'm sure Jong Suk wants his dramas to be aired, but sometimes things don't go the way we want in life. I hope this collaboration will speed things up.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Selin Eroğlu said:

Something wrong with Lee Jong Suk's agency? Or are they just slow to progress and bad at promotion stuff? 

Definitely the latter, but a lot of people are suspecting that something is wrong with his agency. This is 100% speculation, but I've wondered if the partnership with History D&C is really just a way for him to dissolve his agency without having to publicize it. I just think it's bizarre that they never posted the news to their own IG account. It's almost like they no longer exist.

So, I'm not really sure how Naver works, (like who is allowed to update these things) or why they would update this instead of writing an article or putting out some kind of press release (isn't that where they'd get this kind of information in the first place?), but this reminds me of what I said a month or so ago. The most recent press release about Big Mouth on Disney+ didn't mention tvN. I also thought it was strange that publications were still saying it would be released in the first half of the year when the current tvN schedule doesn't back that up. However, I've heard of the streaming service of a show changing, but not the domestic network... 

I don't know if this is actual news from a legit source or if a Korean fan figured out how to update this info and made it reflect the current mental state of everybody waiting.... but I honestly kind of hope we can get some good news soon because I'm starting to feel a little unsettled.

• Like 2