Hana Yori Dango, Meteor Garden or Boys Before Flowers?

Guest ritahui

Guest Chianna

MatsuJun might not have the looks but he embodied the manga Domyoji Tsukasa, he was childish, violent and devoted to Makino. Jerry's was all those things too but I didn't fall for him the same way I did Jun. Minho isn't a bad actor but the character he's playing isn't Domyoji.

There's no doubt in my mind that Shun is the best Rui, I can understand why Makino had a huge crush on him in the begin and why it fizzled out. Most importantly Rui always felt like Domyoji's friend.

Choosing a Soujiro is hard, Shota had this sexy bad boy vibe (esp in s2) but Kim Bum is cute and he and Ga Eul are the best thing about BOF right now, it's like choosing apples over oranges. I guess it comes down to who embodied Soujiro as I see him and that's Shota. I may hate what they did to the Yuki/Soujiro thing in HYD but it was still in character for Soujiro. Poor Yuki forever cursed to be his stalker (if the movie is any indication).

Akira is the F4 who has no storyline at best he is a little more fleshed out in MG and HYD which is why I can't, even though I really like him, choose Woo Bin. It's a tie between Vaness and Abe, I think I voted for Vaness as he was trailing.

Like Jun Pyo I don't consider Jan Di to be Makino, she's more a wilting buttercup than a tough weed (Ga Eul is more weed like than she is). Shan Ci is the hardcore Makino she could kick any F4's backside but I prefer Mao's vibe so she wins by a hair.

I have to thank BOF for making me give MG another chance, it's amazing how things like a tiny budget and bad audio can become less annoying when the drama itself makes sense. Overall HYD wins, I prefer the characters, it had a decent budget and it transitions from one storyline to the next in a way that makes sense. Plus it didn't give us the horror of MG2, which I may or may not finish one day.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Stacy

F4 - Leader: Lee Min Ho

I like his character best. He's mean side looks mean, but his innocent side is soo innocent, it's cute.

F4 - 2: Hanazawa Rui & Yoon Ji Hoo

I couldn't really decide on this one. I think Jihoo's character is built a lot better in the Korean one, but Rui's acting was more convincing, and was better. (I voted for Jihoo, because Kim Hyunjoong is too cute for words, though Shun Oguri is cute too. Shame on me).

F4 - 3: So Yi Jung

Eejung definitely looks like a playboy. The sub-couple looks super perfect too.

F4 - 4: Mimasaka Akira

I don't know, I was pretty indifferent about this one, since this character doesn't really show up much..

Makino: Tsukushi

She is damn convincing. She fits the role like a glove.

Drama: Hana Yori Dango

I thought the Taiwanese one was dragged down by the second part. The Korean one is all over the place. The best one was the Japanese one, hands down. Everybody I talk to about this show, I always say, "Hana Yori Dango was best."

HYD FTW! :)

I was actually not excited when HYD- supposedly the Japanese version, I was not into in- I liked MG but now they're going to make a Japanese version, I found that lame.

I didn't like Matsumoto Jun- found that curly hair ridiculous, but after a while he got into the Dao Ming Sze's stupidity, and passed with flying colors- very convincingly. haha. Inoue Mao was brilliant as Tsukushi- so were the other F3, Oguri Shun, Matsuda Shota (<3), and Abe.

I was anticipating the Korean BOF to come out, and it was a disaster, it got me laughing for the wrong reason- hmm, GJP wasn't as stupid- he's supposed to be, Jandi was a lil blur, Kim Hyun Joong was alright, although I find the whole time they were in this rather serious, let's-talk-about-it calmly tone. No dramatization? I guess it's supposed be overdone even though it might not make sense. Although Kim Bum did make quite an entrance, I guess it was the gap between the actors' popularity. So, one stand out more than the other, and it's not harmonized, if I make any sense at all.

BOF- eye candy? definitely. but i find the storyline and acting a little weak. Maybe it went wrong from the casting itself. *shrugs*

But yeah, HYD did swept me off the feet, great chemistry!

Guest Mademoisella

to make it short, OVERALL, i LOVED Boys Over Flowers wayy more,

but i wish they re-did Meteor Garden and make it more eye appealing then i would of choosen it!

Having finished all three, I still like the way Meteor Garden was done in terms of real story. I'd chose Boys Over Flowers as the most "manga-like" cheifly due to Goo Hye Sun's ability to become a human cartoon character whenever needed and her superior ability to both Barbie Xu and Mao Inoue as an actress. I enjoyed all three female leads immensely, however, and would have a tough time choosing between Jandi's (Goo Hye Sun in BOF) spinning back kick and Mao Inoue's (Hana Yori Dango) three hops and a right hand as the cutest way of making an impression upon the idiot rich-guy of their eventual fancy. I also liked Jerry Yan (MG) and Lee Min Ho's (BOF) portrayals of the doofus turned worthy person but never warmed to the wooden caracature of Matsumodo Jun as the leader of F4. To be fair, I've only seen the first season of both the Japanese and the Taiwanese versions so I found the Japanese verison very rushed after viewing Meteor Garden first. Boys Over Flowers included both seasons during it's run and, although the cast and crew dealt with a great deal of difficulties with the shooting schedules, (car accidents, fan interference, loss of life, and sleep deprivation... :crazy: ) I thought that the superior production quality and performances by the veteran and even the fledgling actors was first rate. :phew: All in all, it was a great run by all three entrants, with the Korean team adding gloss, the Japanese team cuteness and class, and the Taiwanese sincerity and natural sweetness. I may not have the definitive opinion but I am certain that only the most insincere can give a thumbs down completely to any one of these fine renditions. :tongue2:

In the final analysis, love wins out. Anyone who has a problem with that must lead a very sad life, indeed... :)

Guest Xiao Miss

I just finished Boys Over Flowers and was extremely disappointed. It didn't gave me a longing feeling HYD or even Meteor Garden provided when they closed the drama. It felt more sudden, like a relieved feeling that it is finally done and over with. I loved Goo Hye sun in her past works, but she just annoyed the crap out of me here. She was so one-dimensional and stupid that it was hard to sympathize with Jan Di at all. Surely, the awful scriptwriting might have something to do with that, but this was probably the worst female lead in the history of the franchise. Goo Hye sun lacked one major thing that Jan Di was supposed to have. Surely, Hye Sun looked young, but she didn't feel young at all. In short, her character isn't very believable by any means.

Lee Min Ho fit the character...physically. But he always avoids to fully immerse himself in his role hindering his performance. The guy always had potential. Too bad he was too conscious. Matsumoto Jun's Domyouji may not really fit to look like that part, but he got the vibe down which made his portrayal much more convincing tha Min Ho's.

This drama also made me realize that good-looking leads would never assure you of chemistry. The main couple had none of that, thoroughly detaching the viewer from sympathizing with them. Truthfully, it seemed that the SoEul couple were being watched more by the viewers since those two were just overflowing with great compatibility in comparison to the main couple.

Hyun Joong's Ji Hoo seemed more as the leading guy for me instead of Min Ho since he was nearly on every scene with Jan Di. He has got the expression down eventually at the latter part of the drama, but I still never see him as Ji Hoo. But for the cast, I think he had the most chemistry with Jan Di instead of Jun Pyo.

What I didn't like about this version was how annoyed I was with a lot of characters most especially by Jan Di's family. The other versions had the families quite clingy, but they had a certain charm where they still felt very endearing.

But I really think the reason that I watched this version is for Yi Jung, Woo Bin and Ga Eul. Those three totally pwn otherversions. Maybe except for Matsuda Shota.

Guest SE7ENsyuhja

F4 Leader:

Goo Jun Pyo (Lee Min Ho) - This isn't my first time seeing him act, but I must say that I was seriously blown away. Lee Minho really got into his character and conveyed his emotions almost perfectly, in my opinion. In terms of Goo Junpyo, I liked how the Korean version portrayed him.

F4 - 2:

Hanazawa Rui (Oguri Shun) - PERFECTION!. 'Nough said. Although I did quite enjoy how BOF portrayed Jihoo as well.

F4 - 3:

So Yi Jung (Kim Bum) - He really pulled off the playboy thing perfectly.

F4 - 4:

Song Woo Bin (Kim Joon) - THANK YOU BOF! Finally Woobin got more time ♥ I think he was my absolute FAVORITE in this drama. Plus, I LOVED how they went more in depth concerning his feelings and whatnot.

Makino:

Tsukushi Makino (Inoue Mao) - She fit Makino to a T in my book. Although I did have some complaints concerning her acting, I think those little imperfections made her character that much more believable and human,

Drama:

Boys Over Flowers - I had the most difficult time choosing between Boys Over Flowers and Hana Yori Dango. Both dramas did an excellent job. And although I thought the storyline flowed more nicely in HYD, I still prefer BOF. Even though I was disappointed at how they ended they drama I still loved the entire series overall. What I most liked about BOF is the fact that they gave Akira/Woobin more time and story. He wasn't just another character, but he actually had a a story and was more of an important character. I enjoyed the little scenes they had of him solving problems or showing his true emotions, especially towards his friends. I could look past the imperfections of BOF due to my many more fond memories of the drama.

Can't think or write down my thoughts properly, so I'll stop here and maybe come back later to clean everything up.

Guest supErnova1114

I've watched all 3 versions and...

I seriously think the Japanese HYD was better than the other two versions.

Their actors were superior in matching the original appearance of the manga characters, and their

storyline was much less draggy.

It was just kinda hard for me to watch Gu HyeSun act as Makino...and no offense, but I don't think

Kim Hyunjoong did such a great job portraying Lee JiHoo.

But when you come to look at it this way, I think they wanted the Kor. version to be different

and stand out, and I guess the Korean actors interpreted their roles differently.

Guest strawberrynkiwi

Finally BOF is finished. The last 10 episodes were so painful to watch.

Here is what I posted in the BOF thread.

JP and JD haven't see each other for 4 years.

JD is blinded by the sunset and can't tell if it is really GJP.

"GJP?" JD asks.

JP tells her to come over quickly.

JD ignores him and slowly walks towards this stranger with her hands in her pockets.

JD and JP are now face-to-face.

JD confirms that this stranger is indeed GJP, and asks him, "What is going on?", as if she was confused to why he is here.

The rest of the entire conversation JD's hands are still in her pocket, not a slightest hint of excitement that her love came to surprise her.

Were they in love? I didn't buy it at all. <_<

Honesty, none of the versions are perfect. That's because the manga is just so unrealistic sometimes that I don't think its possible to make it reality. I conclude that I still love the manga the most. BUT HYD did fulfill all my expectations and my dreams for the story.

I vote everything for the HYD version. Minho and Jerry I liked both, I think its because I love Tsukasa period. Tsukushi, Mao is the only one that didn't annoy the crap out of me, very natural. Rui, I never really liked his character period, but Shun didn't steal all the airtime, so I pick him over KHJ.

Guest lil_aphrodite91

For f4's looks, I'd have to say Korean version. HOTTT~

The wardrobe, hairstyle, everything was stylish.

Not to mention they're all good looking guys.

For Tsukushi, I like the Japanese version better. Good acting.

San Cai was okay,

but Goo Hye Sun's portrayal of Tsukushi was just annoying to me.

I saw no affection towards GJP,

all she does was letting him do the chasing without any reply.

Blehhh~! no connection! Also, the kisses were not so nice to look at.

It was like, looking at 1st graders' first kiss in public.

Overall? Meteor Garden, hands down. (NOT Meteor Garden II)

Meteor Garden is a little outdated now though,

it's still my favorite nonetheless.

Love the soundtracks, sparks,

and it was the first one that got me so excited over the whole f4 thing.

I've only seen HYD (seasons 1 + 2, PLUS the movie WOW lmao), the first 5 and a half episodes of BBF and the first 15 minutes of MG.

HYD sucked the least but only because Inoue Mao's portrayal of Makino was so damn lovable.

I thought I would bond with BFF because it was the first version I was exposed to and I was excited to see Hyun Joong and Kim Bum. But after the first few episodes, it was just painful to watch. The acting was so stiff, there was barely any chemistry, Hyun Joong's acting was very disappointing (I didn't expect much from an 'idol' but golly gee, get the guy some acting lessons), Kim Bum was not convincing as a "playboy" AT ALL and the male lead was... well, simply put - boring.

I might've liked HYD better if I wasn't so biased towards Matsujun? lol

Guest XJShinoda

To make the comparison even fairer, READ THE MANGA!!!

Then, you'll know what Hana Yori Dango is supposed to be like...

Hands down for the Japanese Hana Yori Dango!

Guest oguri_shun_lover

HANA yori dango is the BEST~~~~

and hanazawa rui is the BEDT of the BEST ~~~ I really love oguri shun acting and talented^^

Guest Wonderland

I feel that it is a little unfair to Meteor Garden because they are at a disadvantage for the comparisons. That version is much older so it's quality (in terms of visuals) is not as good, and the budget wasn't nearly as high as HYD or BOF. HYD and BOF are more recent so people renember them more vividly.

I'd have to say that Meteor Garden always has been and always will be my favorite version ^^ It was the most thorough as an adaptation to the manga.

I completely agree. I'm pretty sure the price of BOF's wardrobe could have covered the overall production costs of MG. The Korean F4 wore Burberry and MJ...while the Taiwanese F4 bought clothes from night markets. LOL And anyway, HYD and BOF had such huge budgets because they were cashing in on a winning formula. Surely MG wasn't that bad.

Personally, I find MG to be endlessly endearing regardless of the repeated views. I'm too old to be fazed by glitz and glamour and the only version that actually moves me is MG. The scene when SC was reading the goodbye letter from Lei kills me every time & the dance scence between them during the cruise...ah...classic. And maybe people have forgotten but MG also had a kickass OST. O_O No one remembers 'Perfect Moment'?!

On the note of characters, perhaps no one will agree with me but Lei and SC's relationship was the most unsatisfying yet heartbreaking of the 3 versions. Despite Zaizai's nonexistant acting skills at the time, he totally made the character work. But I do have a soft spot for Shun's Rui, if I wasn't biased towards the MG development of SC and Lei, Shun would be my favourite Rui interpretation.

SC was good, Makino ok, GJD annoying to no end (is she lacking in makino-spunk or what?).

YiJeong<3 (A highkick fan.)

PS. All I've written does not pertain to MG2. What a mess that was. :rolleyes:

i say HANA YORI DANGO

i loved DOMYOUJI's character.. you can easily just fall for him even though his attitude is bleh.

MAKINO is the best leading lady out of all the 2 version... cute and funny!

and KIM HYUN JOONG did the best for RUI/JIHOO character...

you just can't help but fall for this heartthrob.. and oh yeah HIS EFFING HOTTTTT!

but i say HYD FTW!!!!!!<333

although BOF was my 1st <3 it died down cause the story is same as HYD (w/ few turnabouts)

and it got boring.. and maybe because GHS/JANDI and JUNPYO couple wasn't interesting.

i rather hear the "DOMYOUJIIIIIIIIIII!!!" and "MAKINO!!!!!" yell from the HYD main couple.. why? CAUSE IT'S CUTE! lol!

and oh well i also liked the JANDI/JIHOO pair... but boooooo! JANPYO has to end up and i didn't even see any chemistry on both <_<

Guest colloquy

Since I now finished watching the drama, I think that Boys over Flowers was literally the worst Asian drama I have ever watched. I should have stopped watching, but it was like watching a trainwreck... you can't take your eyes off it.

I rate these dramas as following (note that a 10/10 means absolutely perfect to me. Don't think I ever saw a drama I thought was 10/10):

BOF - 2/10

HYD - 7/10

Meteor Garden - from what I saw... a 5/10

Guest emeth

i think lee min ho kinda looks like jerry yan..anyways..i've only watched hyd and mg.. i like mg better in terms of casting (jun matsumoto is too skinny for my liking..<3 oguri shun though) and hyd based on the story line (they don't drag the story around too much) i like short simple but fulfilling dramas :)

Archived