Hana Yori Dango, Meteor Garden or Boys Before Flowers?

Guest ritahui

i have to say my first love would be Meteor Garden. it's the beginning of all this craziness!

i've watched HYD & BOF and they were both good in their own ways as well.

what i like about:

1.) MG - San Cai & Dao Ming Se chemistry

2.) HYD - Makino's cuteness, Domyouji's dorkiness, a perfect Hanazawa Rui!

3.) BOF - more focus on So Yi Jung story, good looking f4!

but it's METEOR GARDEN that's #1 for me! STILL :)

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kashermieece02

Honestly, all three versions, as well as the cast, are good..they're unique in their own way..even the story is all tha same, they still managed to give it their own way of portraying the story..

..but for the sake of ranking them, here's my list:

1. Meteor Garden (it's the very first one I saw so I fell in love with this version first)

2. Hana Yori Dango

3. Boys Over Flowers

And as for the lead cast, I'll choose:

Dao Ming Si

Makino Tsukushi

So Yi Jeong

Song Woo Bin

P.S. all are good though, love them all!!!!

MG had bad acting, but yes, shancai and dao ming si (jerry and barbie) had chemistry. I really wanted lei with shan cai though =(. It did have a likeability quality to it...despite some faults.

Hana yori dango had great acting, fast paced storyline (at times alittle too fast ><) and chemistry was great!

Boys over flowers had nice settings, acting was decent (for some characters) and storyline was good (not great, but decent). Didn't like some of the acting (overdone, and makino wasn't supposed to be so whiny and teary, what happened to her strength??)

so overall, japanese version for me. Though the tw one was the original <3

jun <33

He totally grew on me, I was supporting rui (cos of the mg version and I really like lei) but wow...jun totally won me over. Great acting.

Guest candysami0708

for me

I LOVE HANA YORI DANGO THE BEST!!!!!!!

i loved everything about it! :D

i like BOF too but, i dunno i just like HYD more.LOL :D

MATSUMOTO AND INOUE are JUST TOO ADORABLE :D

In my heart, i can never compare Meteor Garden to either HYD versions - Japanese and Korean. Meteor Garden became my turning point. It led me to other great Asian series. It will always be a phenomenon. No doubt.

ALTHOUGH.

I appreciate how Boys over Flowers did a marvelous job in defining what F4 is really all about - RICH, FAME, POWER and GOOD LOOKS. :D

Pardon me but I haven't seen HYD Japan. It just really don't attract me that much. Sorry. I guess I would always be biased towards Meteor Garden. Jerry Yan and Barbie Xu displayed such perfect chemistry for me. This also same goes for Minho and Hyesun ;D I really do think there's some magic in Yoko Kamio's manga ;) Domyouji's love is too strong!!! it even spills-over in real life :D LOL!!!

You gotta check it out. Don't let bias stop you from watching the japanese version. It's the best out of the three.

I think HYD is the best. I didn't finish the korean version because I got bored and eventhough the korean version is so popular here in Philippines, it didn't swayed me to finish it. I might watch it some time in the future. I don't get bored with HYD as a matter of fact everytime I hear the soundtrack of HYD, I get the urge to watch HYD1 and 2 plus the movie. I miss them so much that I usually watch youtube videos of them. I must admit though that the korean version do have more handsome F4 than the japanese version. They are so hot... :D

Guest mz simmonz

I finally watched HYD..yes I finished the first season in a day and a half lol..but then again it was short so it made it easier. Now I can farely judge/rank all 3 :)

1-Boys Over Flowers-it's the first one I saw, so it did leave a very deep impression on me..it's what introduced me to this craze in the first place haha..plus it was very visually appealling..which helped keep my attention.

2-Hana Yori Dango-it strikes the perfect balance out of the 3 movies, even if it wasnt my personal favorite, it was made very well..most of the acting/plotlines weren't too overly exaggerated (although the part where Sarasako held Makino hostage and the TOJ pageant was overkill of weirdness for me lol) and neither was the setting..it showed the wealth yet at the same time it didn't overdo it, the school was nice but it wasnt like some fantasy world..and at times the series itself did have dark undertones which added a little grit/edge to a melodrama. Plus I LOVED MAKINO! She was absolutely perfect..cute, spunky, kind hearted, and honest..she wasn't "oh woe is me" like JanDi was or too doe-eyed like Shanchai.

3-Meteor Garden-I'm still not finished with it but I've seen as much as I could muster (I'm up to the 11th episode I think).

more on HYD: It's the only movie where I actually was rooting for the two leads to be together (Makino/Domyouji)..HYD did a great job in developing their bond with each other..as much as I love the Rui/JiHoo/Lei character, in HYD it was apparent that he was interested in Makino but it wasn't made out to be as if he was head over heels pining for her..I liked the romantic scenes between them in the other movies, but I'm glad HYD didn't emphasize on Rui/Makino's relationship too much..it made Makino&Domyouji's love more believable. I just didn't like the pairings at the very end..that crazy chick with Akira?? I wanted him to end up with the dango shop owner! and the fact that Yuki suddenly when fangirly over Soujiroh was just freakin freaky..I didn't want Rui to leave Makino's side THAT soon..but at least he's not alone in this one.. o.O Anyway, maybe I'll watchthe 2nd season soon..see how the rest of the series goes :)

Thanks to this thread, I got exposed to a great love/friendship story..it will be interesting to see what other countries have in store for this series :D

b81c82383a0c30_full.jpg

credits: crunchyroll

Rui !

I finally watched HYD..yes I finished the first season in a day and a half lol..but then again it was short so it made it easier. Now I can farely judge/rank all 3 :)

Sorry to cut your post but yea HYD first season is rather fast and I personally love the 2nd season more. Their 3rd finale movie was ok, a lot of obstacles but the ending is totally worth it because it was so beautiful! =)

And yes Oguri Shun was the perfect Rui!

Guest janelleski

My F4

I like Jun-sama as Tsukasa. Plus his acting is really good.

Then Shun Oguri as Hanazawa Rui. There's a close call with the face with Kim Hyun Joong but I like oppa as himself rather than as Ji Hoo sunbae.

But I prefer Kim Bum than Matsudo Shota, prolly because of the face and the smile xD

And also the same credit for Kim Joon. Well, those two portray playboy roles! They need to have a good face to be hunted down by women xD

Mao-chan is Tsukushi. No one can replace her on the role.

As for the drama, Hana Yori Dango of course! Just check out the season 1 and 2 plus the movie and you'll definitely know for sure xD

Guest sasgrace

Jun is breathtaking and really IMPRESSIVE as DOMYOJI. What he lacked in heigh (I say heigh only because I think lookwise especially the Face he looks like Domyoji especially the expressions in the eyes. He is the only one when you can feel a lonely but arrogant person at the same time effortlessly), he made in ACTING and FELLING.

Guest Enchancy

Hana Yori Dango for me ^^ !

I really liked Inoue Mao for Makino Tsukushi ~ she was suuper cute and really played her role

and and ! Oguri Shun *o* omg he was just heart warming ~

Guest dbxxsk

WHY DO YOU NEED TO US TO CHOOSE/

YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT TOOK ME TO JUST SAY

Japanese Version.

I had to debate over Hyun Joon or Oguri

this or that

*excessive brain usage*

Guest minilight1080

Sorry but I never watched Taiwanese. I sorta watch ep 1 of BOF but i quit not even half way. BOF just doesn't hook me into the drama compare to the first time I watch HYD. I was soo hooked and urge to watch next episode. Shun, Jun and Mao really portray their characters really well. In my opinion its like watching something real. I think the storyline was the best in HYD.

Overall hana yori dango.

Guest Jentage

Matsumoto Jun was the perfect Domyouji honestly... C'mon you could feel his arrogance, stubborness, and etc that made you hate him in the beginning then made you love and adore him towards the end when he rescued Makino and etc.

Then Shun Oguri was superb as Rui. He looked like a prince. His home was very plain but hey. He is a quiet character and doesn't express his feelings much. And that's what made him perfect.

Oh yeah forgot to add, all F4 members in Hana Yori Dango had the gangster/yakuza vibe amongst them. And I think that's supposed to be apparent since they are all rich and can be associated with the underground.

PS- I tried watching BOF 1st ep. but I couldn't even get through it. The girl was too whiny and crap.

However, seeing Kim Hyun Joong was...lots of eyecandy. XD

Guest `dang sun mei

even though kkotboda namja (BBF/BOF) was great and the boys were amazing, the plot was wayyy of course and didn't end they way it supposed to be. it's like twilight in a way. they guys were good looking but the book/manga compared to the actual movie/drama wasn't on track so that means i am going to for hana yori dango. the 2 seasons and the movie was amazing!

leader is definitely matsujun. he fits the roll perfectly.

the romancist is ... way to hard to decide. hyun joong & shun fit the role either way.

our playboy is kim bum. he's gorgeous and acts so well.

the last F4 boy... they are really about equal for me but idk, tsuyoshi had a better impact.

for makino, inoue mao was a win. sometimes hye sun's slurr kind of...idk weird... i love her as a model for hair though.

Guest AiMango

ok here's what i voted. based on my best impressions of them.

for main lead - i didnt really LOVE any of them but i'd have to go with jun matsumoto.

for rui, oguri shun <33

for sojiro - kim bum ftw : D !

for akira - vanness made an impression on me at the time, the other 2 versions i barely noticed them.

makino - japanese version tsukushi! she was honestly my favourite.

which version owns the most - japanese ftw. the acting was awesome, honestly it was all there - it just had the overall best feel to me. As for OST, i loved both taiwanese and japanese OSTs.

tw version is old though. obv. a lot of people havent even watched it + its wayyy too outdated.. i watched it 5 years ago, and it was already out for 2 years back then.

Guest aig0o

I LOVED ALL OF THE DIFFERENT VERSIONS!!!

They're special in their own little way!

METEOR GARDEN will always be my favorite!!! It gave me this feeling that no other dramas did.

It's what started it all! I fell in love with all the characters, the story and nearly died when it ended LOL

HANA YORI DANGO was good. I liked the first season but it was the second one which made me love

the drama even more! LOVED Inoue Mao and the F4 even though I didn't find them as good looking as

the other F4's, I still LOVED them!

BOYS OVER FLOWERS, I got quite tired with the story since it was the third time seeing the same story again

and it was quite similar with the japanese version [the japanese version was still fresh in my mind when i saw BOF]

but Lee Min Ho and Kim Bum did it for me! It took me nearly halfway down the series to like Ji-Hoo and Jan Di but it got

there in the end. I also had a feeling in the end, I woke up the next day after finishing the drama and literally wanted to cry

sooo much.

They all created an impact on me. I must say, the story is really good!

My Favorite

Domyouji - Lee Min Ho XD, Jerry Yan then Matsumoto Jun

[i never really found Jun good-looking! But I like him now compared to before watching HYD]

Rui - Vic Zhou, Oguri Shun then Kim Hyun Jung

[LOVED Vic aka Lei XD]

Sojiro - Kim Bum XD, Matsuda Shota then Ken

[before watching HYD, I found Shota weird looking, but when I saw the drama, he's the one

that caught my attention. But, when I saw BOF, I fell in love with Kim Bum]

Akira - Vaness, then I don't know about the other two

[Their character was okay for me! Never really cared for them LOL]

Makino - Barbie, Inoue then Goo Hye Sun

[barbie was my favorite, Inoue was the prettiest and probably best acting then Goo Hye Sun,

I only started to like her halfway down the series but I found her funny and cute]

Series - Meteor Garden, Tie between BOF and HYD

[Meteor Garden will always be my favorite, and I also loved the Japanese and Korean that

I can't decide which one I like better]

Okay, I went on for too long :sweatingbullets:

Archived