Hana Yori Dango, Meteor Garden or Boys Before Flowers?

Guest ritahui

Guest mayce

i really enjoyed boys over flowers just because it didn't take two seasons to finish the entire story. but since i watched meteor garden first, i loved it more. i never finished the japanese one... i didn't really like matsumoto jun as domyoji.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest deeLOVELY

i really enjoyed boys over flowers just because it didn't take two seasons to finish the entire story. but since i watched meteor garden first, i loved it more. i never finished the japanese one... i didn't really like matsumoto jun as domyoji.

uh

didnt bof have more episodes?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest howtwosavealif3

I prefer Japanese to Korean b.c. the korean version is way too dragged out.

25 episodes times like 50 minutes? 1250

for japanese version it's like (9+12)*42 + 15+ 15 = 912

12 because season 2's 1st episode was 2 hours and adding the extra 15minutes for the last episode of season 2 and first epiosde season 1

either way korean has like 5.5 hours more full of whatever.

Another reason is I HATE JANDI and the actors that can't act.

Jandi pisses me off so much because she's ugly and I just hate listening to her complain/pinkberry/yell/etc. I don't believe any of the scenes she cries in.

By actors thatcan't act obviously kim hyoung joong. people said he improved during last part and I'm just like that's improved? So poor... He's so awkward and stiff and I can't bear to watch.

Guest mighty_cindy

HYD is the best version for me. When I first saw the trailer of HYD I thought the cast was ugly but out of curiosity I watched the drama after that I became a big Hanadan fan and a shun lover. I also gave BOF a try but the show is too dragging. There's no chemistry between the two leads. I only watched the SoEul moments (the only good thing in BOF). Lee Min Ho is also good but for me MatsuJun's acting is way better and do I need to compare KHJ w/ Shun Oguri? Oguri-san played his role perfectly. The best thing I like about HYD is the way Mao Inoue acted her role, she's cute but not annoying. I like her facial expressions but I can't say the same w/ GHS her facial expressions are too forced. I think she's a good actress (she's good in King and I) but she failed miserably in BOF.

Guest Krunchii

Hana Yori Dango for all of the categories for me, haha. Well, not sure about the 2 not-as-prominent F4 members, but for the main characters, the Japanese version definitely. I think the Korean BOF is more aesthetically appealing in terms of actors and props, but the main couple wasn't that endearing - SoEul was way cuter and had more chemistry >< In terms of actual actING, the Japanese version completely blows the other versions away. I felt the script was better too, although it's hard to judge because I'm looking at subs.

The Japanese version was more believable than the other ones, so it's the best version imho.

Guest forumer147

Hana Yori Dango for all of the categories for me, haha. Well, not sure about the 2 not-as-prominent F4 members, but for the main characters, the Japanese version definitely. I think the Korean BOF is more aesthetically appealing in terms of actors and props, but the main couple wasn't that endearing - SoEul was way cuter and had more chemistry >< In terms of actual actING, the Japanese version completely blows the other versions away. I felt the script was better too, although it's hard to judge because I'm looking at subs.

The Japanese version was more believable than the other ones, so it's the best version imho.

I do agree with what you say ....Whats good about BOF is their F4 and Soeul moments and story other than that I think its simply boring. Do they have to force the chemistry between Jandi and Jun Pyo?....Unlike Inoue and Jun wherein the chemistry is really evident you just need to watch their behind the scenes together, interviews together as well as the whole Hanadan and you will get carried away and this is the first time I watch Hanayori wherein I am not going crazy over the main lead unlike before when I happen to watch Inoue and JUn in Hanadan and Barbie and Jerry chemistry is unquestionable too.

Guest vip_gd

people like woobin? *raises eyebrow* he looks ugly.

For me, i like the japanese version. it has less episodes and straight to the point.

In the kr ver. jandi just .. can't act. even if her role is to act a bit comical at some scenes, it's just so annoying.

meteor garden's worse ..

couldn't bear to watch the cheesy acting.

Guest sam sik

How could people choose Min Ho over Matsumoto Jun =/

Jun had the spoiled rich boy personality. He even walked like one too (catwalk style).

Guest graceyoon

lol i thot that at first too.. but he grew on me! i haven't seen meteor garden.. but i think he's at least cuter than the one in HYD (sorry to any fans but yeah the guy looked so old compared to the other 3)

well.. i think minho did a great job in the korean version esp when he hasn't been in many dramas prior... i really can't pick between the two male leads cuz they were both really fantastic in their own way..

------

ok my analysis: i only saw HYD and BOF, i tried watching MG but i couldn't get past the 1st ep... too westernized for me..

F4-leader:

tie between LMH and MJ for me.. i agree with some others who thought MJ was pretty ugly... this was the first time i ever saw MJ and yeah since i saw BOF first it was quite a contrast haha.. but now i absolutely adore MJ... he just got cuter and cuter as the eps passed... i think it was the flashy outfits and pama that turned me off and he also appeared really girly at first... but i think they both did justice to their character

F4-2:

to be honest i don't like either... i liked the korean storyline better because it made u think that he was going to get with the main girl.. in the japanese version i thought they didn't let the guy try hard enough... lookwise oguri shun tho..

F4-3:

again neither lol... storywise though BOF was better.. i felt the japanese version didn't really give much storyline to shota.. and yeah kim bum looks SOOOOOOOOOO young to be considered a 'playboy'.. was awkward for me.. and his acting wasn't that great.. for some reason he came off as being nervous during his lines..

F4-4:

the story line was more comedic in HYD.. i guess the purpose for the forth guy was to provide the comic relief.. korean version shoulda followed same!

F4-girl:

inoue mao for sure!!! this is why sometimes i hate korean dramas.. they always make the 'tough' girl overly cute that she doesn't come off as being tough at all... and sorry to say the hairstyle that GHS wore made her nose job look really obvious ><

anyway i liked both BOF and HYD i just can't choose.. !! the evil mom was so much better portrayed in the korean one tho... was so much scarier... and the way the male lead's memory comes back i liked it better in BOF cuz it was more dramatic.. hehe maybe i'm biased that way.. but for HYD i thought it was too simple.. BOF gave more meaning... but i agree with others the interaction between the male/female leads was done better in HYD

I prefer the tw and japanese ver, couldn't even bother watching the kor version. I only watched it bcos of the SoEul. The actors in FOB are definitely more good looking and they have better prop but when there is no chemistry between the lead character and draggy storyline. It just fail there, and what is wrong with jandi? She's annoying.

Guest redmoon123

HYD is still #1 for me because it's the most faithful to the manga and I'm a huge fan of the HYD manga XD

BBF was good but it kinda made me like Ji Hoo more than Jun Pyo, which is not really what should happen =/

Guest Shen

Meteor Garden. I really loved it. Its the only asian drama i got hooked on. i watched hyd and bof but i see myself skipping episodes unlike when watching MG...do i make sense? lol

Guest lilsh0rtnancy

Jun had the spoiled rich boy personality. He even walked like one too (catwalk style).

Lee Minho is definitely better looking and his curls were PERFECT. I've never seen a guy look so good in a perm before. However, I agree with you. Jun definitely embodies the character of "Tsukasa" and I love his strut. In general, I just feel that the Japanese F4 was cooler while the Korean F4 definitely lacked the bond that the other two versions had and they had less scenes together too.

Guest sasgrace

For me, i like the japanese version. it has less episodes and straight to the point.

In the kr ver. jandi just .. can't act. even if her role is to act a bit comical at some scenes, it's just so annoying.

meteor garden's worse ..

couldn't bear to watch the cheesy acting.

I sooooooooooooooooooo agree. I mean are they BLIND ? :huh:

You absolutely said it. Jun doesn´t act DOMYOJI He is domyoji in every level....

Guest kimigasuki

well, being honest. i never watched bof fully.

i fast forwarded through the scenes like ... alot

it was boring .__.

maybe i just had enough of the other versions.

& though i agree that MG is a classic

it addicted me to asian dramas, though the acting wasn't good.

and the scrip wasn't anything spectacular. it had moment ;3

but season two is man hands down awful. it's like... okay,

more sanchai crying scenes . >.>"

i choose HYD, hands-down because one; unlike other dramas

HYD does absolutely not drag. it's the only drama i watched FULLY

without fast-forwarding.

and damn , hyd is darn adorable i must say. it keeps you high xD

- HYD

- MG

- BOF

i'm probably the only one who'll say this, but BOF is a tad overrated.

*don'tbashmeboffans*

Guest honeypia

In my heart, i can never compare Meteor Garden to either HYD versions - Japanese and Korean. Meteor Garden became my turning point. It led me to other great Asian series. It will always be a phenomenon. No doubt.

ALTHOUGH.

I appreciate how Boys over Flowers did a marvelous job in defining what F4 is really all about - RICH, FAME, POWER and GOOD LOOKS. :D

Pardon me but I haven't seen HYD Japan. It just really don't attract me that much. Sorry. I guess I would always be biased towards Meteor Garden. Jerry Yan and Barbie Xu displayed such perfect chemistry for me. This also same goes for Minho and Hyesun ;D I really do think there's some magic in Yoko Kamio's manga ;) Domyouji's love is too strong!!! it even spills-over in real life :D LOL!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mz simmonz

Damn, I really wish I watched Hana Yori Dango now..I've only watched the first few scenes of the first episode & some fan tributes with random scenes and I can tell I'll like the entire series but stopped because I was scared of getting toooo addicted to it like I did with BoF haha (does that make sense?).

With that said, I voted for the Korean cast for all of them, except for the female lead, I voted for Makino because off the bat, even from the first scene she was the cutest and seemed to portray the character the best already with just the right expressions/spunk. JanDi is just ughh..like another poster said already, she's just mopey dopey..and I hate the way she would always looked astonished when she says "sunbae!"..I mean really.. are you THAT surprised to see him at school? YOU KNOW YOU BOTH GO TO THE SAME DANG SCHOOL!

Since I've only really watched BoF, and MG, I can't judge HYD much (but it sounds awesome)..but as for F4's leader, I feel like MinHo/JunPyo portrayed it slightly better than Jerry Yan/Dao Ming Si, although the two look similar and grow on you after a few episodes due to their "inner child".

I also liked both Vic Zhou/Hua Ze Lei and Kim Hyun Joong/Yoon Ji Hoo the most out of either series..so I'm sure I'll love Oguri Shun/Rui just as much..Vic and HJ both portrayed their characters slightly differently (Lei was way quieter and cold while JiHoo was more gallant) but with good results..I'm more partial to the Korean one because I've fallen in love with KIM HYUN JOONG :)

For the two other F4 members, I didn't have a huge preference...although I liked Kim Bum/YiJung more than Ken Zhu/Ximen and yes because of his looks but it just matched his persona of a playboy better than homely looking Ximen...but I like Vaness more than Kim Joon. Vaness had an interesting swagger about him while WooBin seemed like he was only put in to complete the 4th member requirement of F4

I've already expressed my feelings toward MG in the MG thread..I'm disappointed on how scrappy it looks. It's not like Taiwan is a poor country or anything..but I guess the film itself was low budget and it was the first attempt at a HYD-manga remake so it could've been lots of factors that limited their luxurious/extravagant feel. No doubt BoF had much better filming sets and hotter actors but the biggest thing that got to me was that the relationship btwn JiHoo & Jandi was wayyyyyy more well developed than JunPyo & JanDi..that's why it was so vexing to me as to why they were so "in love" with each other..they were apart more than they were together! In BoF, I was feeling so annoyed..feeling myself yelling at JanDi to open her stupid eyes and go for JiHoo already..but in MG I kind of started liking the DaoMingSi+Shancai pairing because it grew on me.

The WORST SCENES involved both Shancai and JanDi's families..the moms' voices..their families' cheesy embarassing behavior *cringe*.

The thing I have to compliment them both on is that I like their soundtracks. Various songs from Meteor Garden's OST have been covered through the years by lots of different artists and each of them sound great. BoF's OST is very catchy and on constant replay on my iPod now :D

OK enough with my ridiculously long rant/review..it's a drama..kind of like a shortened soap opera right? which means..cheesy acting and overexaggerated plots are typical. So I'll stop judging it so harshly and just enjoy it :D Can't wait to watch HYD.

I topped a page?

Hmm..what should I contribute..how about a pic of my favorite character portrayed by 3 cuties? ;)

--002.jpg

credits: miyukanata

Guest tian`tian

^ :)

I hope you do watch HYD! It's also shorter than the others so it shouldn't take as long to watch. Not as much dragging. :D

Archived