Hana Yori Dango, Meteor Garden or Boys Before Flowers?

Guest ritahui

I thought Boys Before/Over Flowers was best of all three.

I watched a bit of Meteor Garden, the first season of Hana Yori Dango,

And the whole season of Boys Over Flowers.

I was more into the Korean version,

'Cause that's just me.. ^^

I'm just used to Korean,

And a lot of the characters were celebrities I knew before,

So it was also that.. which made me love it even more.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ginger

I saw some (over) dramatic pics of Kim Bum and I don't understand how people can vote for him. He simply CAN't ACT here. He maybe cute but actingwise NO ! He can't act playboy too...

Plus the Korean may be rich but they are not "chic". By the way they behave, they can make thing "poor" persons do but I am not suprised. No comment on MG

Er, I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean by these statements...

I've only watched BOF, therefor I won't vote in the survey. I don't understand the huge obsession with the show but I don't hate it, either. Lately, I've been watching a few episodes on Sundays when I am lounging around the apartment. The acting isn't so great (the lead female drives me crazy...what is with Korea and having these lead females that seem to have constant face spasms? I know they're trying to look cute and endearing but...yeeeeesh), the art direction is fine, the script ranges from fair to dull, and the music wasn't that good. But it sure is pretty to watch! Those boys are hot.

-ginger

Guest hiswendy

The trend right now might be to say Kkotboda Namja

but honestly, I personally think Hana Yori just trumps all.

Jun Matsumoto should seriously, like, copyright the character LOL.

I just mean he really owned the character, holy shiiiit.

He really was like a pompous
richard simmons
I just wanted to fcking kill.

But then he melted my heart.... & Oguri, omfg with his "Ma~kino."

Always gets to me, & the toy gun? COME ON! LOOOVE.

And Makino was wowow, the role Mao fit her. She's naturally

cute but still she has that "I'll kick your
richard simmons
" vibe, & she acts

really, really, REAAALLLY well. And the art direction is WHOA.

There were so many times that I hyperventilated due to the

amazing use of angles & whatnot. I just love HYD more overall.
<33

Hana Yori Dango - Japan was the best :D .

As for the Korean version: Go Hye Sun as Geum Jan Di was an embarrassment!!! Where was the Makino power we saw and loved in both the manga & the JP version???? she didnt act good at all and her character was of a stupid and silly girl, couldn't understand what drew Go Jun Pyo to her.

As for Kim Hyung Joong as Ji Hoo : He totally sucked !!!

Lee Min Ho was the best part in this silly adaptation given to us by an untalented director & writer.

The TW was bad IMO.

Guest Airine Pratama

I watched all 3 version ... First is Meteor Garden, i love it love it love it at that time but i'm not so crazy about Dao Ming Se-San Chai couple ... I was crazy for the good looking F4 more ... Yeah compare to the other 2 version, MG might be the less attractive to our eyes but you have to admit that at that time which is year 2001-2002 ... Taiwanese F4 and MG is the one who started all these idol drama, good looking Asian boys ... Even MG brought me to K-Dramas which i never saw before ... Yeah MG started it all, i belive not just in my country ... MG always have the special place ... Without MG i don't think they will do either HYD or BOF ...

BOF is just the WORST version of all ... I have not much to say since most of soompiers speak my mind already ... But in conclusion : No chemistry between Junpyo-Jandi and the F4 friendship (even people say Jaekyung-Junpyo has more chemistry), Boring story and acting from most of the main character (JanDi is too annoying, Jihoo is so stiff and no expression but he got alot better during the end, it's just i've stopped after episode 6 since i can't stand BOF anymore, Junpyo and Lee Min Ho is overrated i may say ... I find him good looking and fine acting but i don't find any charisma that attract me to him) ... The only thing save BOF is the SOEUL couple ... Kim So Eun steal the show for her acting and Ga Eul character, Kim Bum is great looking i love him but in term of acting i find him OK in this drama not outstanding ... In some scenes i find Bum's acting is weird not match into the scene ... But So Eun and Bum sure have a lot of chemistry despite their minim scenes ... With only few seconds scenes in an hour episode their chemistry is even bigger than Jandi-Junpyo ... My judgement is only based on the 6 episodes of BOF i watched since i can't stand to continue ... I just skip to SoEul scenes till the very last episode ... I just watch it here and there ... But i follow in detail every SoEul scenes ...

Lastly, HYD ... The Best version of all ... I see how some people said the F4 is less attractive ... Yeah at first i think so too ... But after watching the show i totally love it ... The chemistry between Makino and Doumyouji, Makino and F4, F4 themselves are GREAT ... I can feel the emotion they show in every scenes ... It left be big and deep impression even after the show end ... I think every cast fit into their character very well, no miss cast ... Although i think Akira kinda look old and out of the picture but his act make it up ... I don't mind him at all ...

So here's my list :

Storyline : Meteor Garden

Best Ending : HYD 2 ... Although i still can't get enough of them T.T

Best Location / Scenery : BOF

Best looking F4 : BOF

The Real F4 : HYD

(Hahahha yeah BOF F4 definitely the best looking but they don't give me the aura of HYD F4 gave me ... You know the way HYD F4 talk, walk, the arrogance and funny side of Doumyouji, Player Soujiro, Prince Charming Rui, Nice Akira ... Are just perfect for me)

As for the character :

Tsukasa : MATSU JUN (Jerry is OK, Lee Min Ho is out of Tsukasa character ...)

Tsukusi : INOUE MAO (Barbie is OK, Goo Hye Sun is a no)

Rui : OGURI SHUN (Vic did well too but not as charming as Rui ...)

Soujiro : MATSUDA SHOTA is Soujiro, but KIM BUM is the one who melts me away ... This kid is too handsome hahahhaa ... Can't choose ...

Akira : VANNESS WU ... Simple becoz he stands out the most portraying this character ...

Yuki : KIM SO EUN ... I know her Ga Eul seems to be out of Yuki character as well, but i don't mind coz Kim So Eun did it so well ... It even make me like Yuki better with her Ga Eul portrayal ... Kim So Eun is too likeable for me ...

Guest evz88

Meteor Garden

- horrible acting from most of the important characters like F4 (Shan Cai's parents and Do Ming Tse's mum were the best actors I think)

- Barbie's portrayal of Shan Cai was annoying and not likable at all, too feisty/mean for my liking

- quite bad everything wise like acting/sets/clothes etc

- however I can't deny I use to love this when it first came out :P but I think it was just because it was something different at the time? it was the first Taiwanese drama that had a storyline that appealed to me and I was glued to the screen, I'm from Taiwan and this was the first Taiwanese drama that I got into xD Now that I think back though what was I thinking rofl.. but I do have to give them credit because many many people loved this drama back then even with the bad acting like me and plus they were working with a really low budget so with what they had they did a pretty good job, however of course compared to the dramas now with the extravagant sets etc it can't compare. It'll always be a classic since it was the first one made but if you watch HYD and BOF first and then watch MG I think you'll think wth lol, it was only good because no-one was expecting much from it :o

Hana Yori Dango

- absolutely awesomeee! :)

- was fast paced and to the point which is what I like in a drama, draggy dramas make me want to pull my hair out :blink: it even left me wanting more! was so sad it ended >< japanese dramas ftw!

character breakdown:

Domyoji / Matsumoto Jun - Like a lot of people here I was thinking errr.. Matsumoto Jun just looked odd for the part :o he looked his part so much better in Gokusen which I watched later on. Anyways even so, he totally won me over! his acting is superb (I've seen him in a lot of dramas and in every one he plays his part so well)! plus to me he looked the most like his manga counterpart and ever since watching HYD I've become a huge MatsuJun fan :) he played the perfect Domyoji! he owned the role!

Makino / Inoue Mao - I loved Inoue Mao as Makino! She portrayed her part so well, was strong but so down to earth and was not the least bit annoying. Whatever over the top facial expression she made she still stayed really cute too :D

Rui / Oguri Shun - From the very start I thought Oguri Shun fit his part well, his acting was also very good but I wouldn't say better than Matsumoto Jun and Inoue Mao however definitely another great cast! totally convincing as Rui and did not disappoint me as Rui is my favourite character from this series :)

Sojiro / Matsuda Shota & Akira / Abe Tsuyoshi - I think they both fit their parts really well too although they didn't really leave that big of an impression on me. However still great! although like the above soompier I found Abe a tad too old looking too but then he likes older women so I guess that fits xD

And like a lot of people here have mentioned Jun and Mao had such great chemistry! you can actually feel like they are a real couple <33 chemistry between everyone else is great too like with Mao and Shun, all the F4 etc. HYD really moved me from start to finish :) One thing though, I thought they could've casted Yuki better but thats no biggy.

Boys before Flowers

- I don't like how the storyline is changed in a lot of places making everything not flow nicely :unsure: doesn't make much sense to me most of the time.. for starters how Jan Di got into the school was totally random -o-"

- draggggggy which makes it painful to watch.. I'll be like thinking come on just get to the point!

character breakdown:

Go Jun Pyo / Lee Min Ho - Omg Lee Min Ho's curly hair at the start was so "...", it looked like a wig lol and does anyone else think he looks so much like Jerry Yan from Meteor Garden? I don't know if this was done on purpose or what but yeah that was a bit odd. Other than that he's quite cute I guess :) but his portrayal of Domyoji doesn't move me at all and Matsumoto Jun's acting beats his acting hands down.

Geum Jan Di / Koo Hye Sun - Rahhh I'm sorry for those of you who like Koo Hye Sun but I really don't like her portrayal of Makino.. so annoying and umm rude? she yells all the time which gets on my nerves and when shes talking while shes angry it just looks very manly and rude.. and whats up with her facials :blink: sighh quite disappointed. Another thing thats really weird for me is how her skirt (but I know this includes every other girl in their school) is really short which shows her very slim long legs so it gives me a feeling that her top half and bottom half are not in sync with each other lol, in my mind Makino doesn't have hot model legs =S she's suppose to be like your average girl. I don't get why they cut her hair short too and gave her that fringe, makes her look old =| older than everyone in F4.

Yoon Ji Hoo / Kim Hyun Joong - I thought Kim Hyun Joong looked kinda cute at first but then later on not really.. didn't like his portrayal either, no feel.. and Rui is my favourite character from this series so I would be less harsh at judging I guess :P but nah still don't like..

So Yi Jung / Kim Bum & Song Woo Bin / Kim Joon - Kim Bum is hotttt xD well I guess more adorable hot than like sexy hot lol and Kim Joon doesn't get enough lines to say @_@ I didn't like how their characters weren't elaborated as much as they were in HYD.

Honestly I think the only thing good about BOF is the consistency of the looks of F4, other than that.. blah >< there was absolutely no chemistry between any of the main characters! well great chemistry between Kim Bum/Ga Eul but its suppose to be between Lee Min Ho/Koo Hye Sun rawrr! and Koo Hye Sun's portrayal of Makino was just too annoying for me to enjoy and get into the show because I don't get why F4 would like her acting the way she does.

OVERALL: Definitely Hana Yori Dango for me!! all Season 1, 2 and the movie were great :lol: one of my favourite Japanese dramas to date! Cast was great and storyline was fast paced/smooth with no dragging~ even though the F4 are not as great looking as the F4 in BOF but their convincing acting made up for it and then more. Plus I felt like they actually fit their roles which makes me enjoy it and get into it because I feel like its real, a bunch of eye candies whom aren't convincing and don't fit their roles is not going do anything but just make me think oh they are hot.

Guest XxSwt Lilo LuverxX

HYD

i really liked this version because of the way they showed everyones friendship & chemistry

they made everyone (incl. Akira) feel worthy to be in the drama which i felt the Korean vers. didnt do

& Makino + Oguri + Matsujun were a big plus.

everyone pretty much said what was remaining on my mind.

BOF

- lack of chemistry

- choppy scenes (it DID NOT flow which irked me)

- music was really random

- draggy, i couldnt bring myself to finish it .. i wanted to for Jihoo but nahh

Characters

- Jandi - too exaggerated + she didnt look poor to me (clothes etc).. her house + family were quite well off IMO

& i didnt get the 'makino' spunk from her. to me she was just another typical ditzy/confused korean heroine

- Junpyo, yes HOT. but again, his portrayal was that of a weak & easily swayed domyouji

- NO FRIENDSHIP. this really threw me off because i felt Jihoo + Junpyo/Yijung + Woobin in their own worlds.

Yijung & Woobin looked like random rich followers, not good friends

overrall i was quite disappointed with this drama. Yes, it was an adaptation which means it is different

but i felt it could be better seeing as it had two predecessors but owels. Still liked it =]

MG

i loved hua ze lei & vanness

but then again you cant compare this to the other two

Eyecandy - BOF (if your looking for a melodramatic drama, this is the one)

Storyline - MG (come on, they were the original)

Overrall - HYD (fast paced, aggresive, awesome camera angles )

Guest NanaPi

Okay,, here's my opinion..

Actually , I do love all three versions , although everyone says that MG can't be compared , for me , MG is something that can't be forgotten . I loved it a lot , I watched it again and again , and although the F4 didn't seem 'that' rich , and didn't really suit the manga , for me the chemistry between Dao Ming Si and San Chai is the best of all three. ( In MG , I can really feel how much Dao Ming Si loves San Chai ) , and I still remember the unforgetabble scenes , eg: when shan cai lose her house , and dao ming si tried to call her and left 'THAT' many messages on Sanchai's voice mail , the Xiao Shun's story , the scene where Dao Ming Si chasing San chai who's inside a bus , and so many unforgettable scenes which looks very sweet for me.

Now, for the F4..

Domyouji Tuskasa / Dao Ming Si / Gu Jun Pyo

Jun's acting was great and he definetely IS tsukasa in the manga . But if everything doesn't have to match the manga , I'll pick Jerry Yan , Min Ho isn't that bad either , he's handsome and different as Gu Jun Pyo. (And yeah, he looks a lot like Jerry Yan)

Hanazawa Rui / Hua Zhe Lei / Yun Ji Hoo

I like both Hua Zhe Lei and Yun Ji Hoo . Ji Hoo gets better and better (especially with his new haircut) , while Hua Zhe Lei gave infinite charm for me xp. Shun Oguri did a very good job , but the Hanazawa Rui in my opinion is something 'perfect' , and I don't find that perfection in Shun Oguri's looks . He looks okay , but not how I imagined Rui . Actually, a combination between Vic Zhou's & KHJ looks and Shun Oguri's acting will make the best Hanazawa Rui ever .

Soujiro / Xi Men/ Yi Joong

Well, Matsuda Shota and Kim Bum was HOT . Ken Zhu wasn't really my tipe , and he didn't do anything special in MG xp. In my opinion , Kim Bum is the perfect Soujiro. (Well, Shota is also suitable, but I still like Kim Bum better xp)

Akira / Mei Cuo / Woo bin

I doesn't have much to say, if I have to pick one, I'll pick KJ , he's the best looking for this role , ever .

As for Tsukushi , I like all three of them , they got different characters , and it's just interesting for me to watch .

Honestly, HYD 's the best for acting, costumes, and settings, but I didn't really feel the chemistry between Jun & Mao after all those romantic scenes. If I have to choose which is the most unforgettable , I'll pick MG (MG 1, NOT MG2) . HYD 2 got the BEST ENDING & BEST ACTING for me , and BOF got the Best-looking F4 . =) As for the best ost , I like MG & BOF more than HYD .

Guest sasgrace

EXACTLY how i feel! while i was watching it i couldn't stop, but now that i've finished... i feel like i just wasted 25 hours of my life. what the heck did i watch!?

LMAO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH What ? :lol:

Oguri Shun is perfect as Hanazawa Rui! :D No one can beat his betrayal srsly. I mean, there's a reason why it's his breakthrough role!

And Inoue Mao is simply perfect too. Her acting is amazing. Shun and Mao should do more dramas together. They play off each other perfectly.

I haven't seen BOF yet, but from what I've heard, the Japanese version still pwns when it comes to acting... Which is the most important thing for me when it comes to dramas. 8DDD

Guest tranceeee

overall champs for me had to be hana yori dango :D

actually, i havent seen the other two so i'm somewhat biased

Guest strawberrynkiwi

EXACTLY how i feel! while i was watching it i couldn't stop, but now that i've finished... i feel like i just wasted 25 hours of my life. what the heck did i watch!?

exact words that my sister and i said. LOL

the only thing we got out of it, discovering the hot lee minho, and the confirmation that kimbum's name is funny and he is just THAT adorable.

Guest lyzerg

japan's hyd hands down.

oguShun rocked the show. although shota isn't cute, he makes the character manly..although I love SoEul couple, seeing bummie flirt wit other girls makes me laugh...

korea- best looking cast

japan- most convincing cast

Guest your--HEROine

My votes.

F4 Leader: Jerry Yan

I said Jerry because I loved him the first time I saw him.

And I always liked him.

F4 2: Kim Hyunjoong Leader

I LOVED Ji hoo so much.

I loved Vic too but I don't know, Leader is definitely something special.

F4 3: Kim Bum

He was definitely the HOTTEST. LOL.

And also the CUTEST.

I can just stare at him forever. :P

F4 4: Kim Joon

This was a really hard decision but I chose Kim Joon.

I wish he had more parts since he was sooooO CUTE!

OVERALL, I say Hana Yori Dango.

I actually never finished watching HYD but it's short and sweet.

Meteor Garden was too long and OMG, Boys Over Flowers is EVEN LONGER.

This was also very hard too since I LOVED Meteor Garden even though it was long.

I just LOVE DMS's genuine love for Shancai.

(However Season 2 totally disappointed me. <_<)

This was really hard and a little biased since I didn't finish watching HYD yet.

AND, BOF is still fresh in everyone's mind. LOL.

Guest Evita Daya

For me, HYD absolutely win as the best version. I love the chemistry btw 2 main roles as well as F4´s friendship in japanese version. All the cast portray perfectly their roles. MG is too old and It did not impress me much except Zai Zai´s caracter (or I might say because of his apperance. He is the most handsome Rui in 3 versions but comparing to Oguri Shun in term of acting skill.... <_< . As some of you has written above Oguri Shun = Rui. Shun´s acting was awsome). As for BOF (korean version), hmm... I can´t comment much bcs I only watched 1/4 of an episode. I had read some comments in www.dienanh.net (a popular drama and movie forum in Vietnam) about BOF´s poor script as well as bad acting before watching it. I thought that may be they overcriticized it, so I decided to pick one episode and watched it (I think It´s was epi 14 when the main female role - Jan Di???- and F4-2 Rui- Ji hoo??? were in Macau). I was "impressed" by the female role´s characters and these 02 actors´ acting. So i dropped it. This version did not attract me.

En fin! HDY is the best :)

Guest KuYA II

i watched MG, first, and i have to say it was good but i stopped at episode 11 where she was suppose to meet the mom since it was getting really draggy and the love triangle was making me upset <_< .

BOF, i couldn't stand it just cause everything felt out of place. No comment.

Hana Yori Dango wins my vote in this one just because of the chemistry with all of the characters. The love between makino and tsukasa was really great. I didn't really like the movie much, but it wasn't intend to have like "omg the best ever" its just a way of finishing it off i suppose. I also like how strong the bonding f4 had in this season and their friendships. And what I like about the characters is that I actually like all of them including the enemies. One that amused me the most was shigeru (sp?) she had that over active happy personality which makes me want to hate her but at the same time she amuses me lol. Also Oguri Shun did a great job with RUI, Jun did awesome as the lead male, and the actress who did makino stole the show. What I also like about this season is that the love triangle between rui, makino, and tsukasa (i think thats the name) was straight forward and wasn't draggy at all.

so i have to say hana yori dango wins in this one great series and makes me miss the couple!

Totally hard @_@

Oh OK, here are my answers :

First question : Go with Domyoji Tsukasa - Jun Matsumoto. Really, he is totally annoying and poor in the same time. Min-ho still looks good to me, not too annoying, hehehehe~

Second question : Hanazawa Rui - Shun Oguri. Oooohhhh....really really really the perfect reflection of the character. He is really perfect! Two thumps up!

Third question : Ha..ha..ha.. It's really obvious to me. So Yi Jung - Ki Bum. He is really a womaneater, ha..ha..ha.. He just need to be bigger, a little.

Forth question : I go with Mei Zuo - Vanness Wu. He is just quite good with the character. The other two just still looked mmmm....caring. :P

Fifth question : Tsukushi - Makino. Yay yay yay yay~ She is really fit to the character. She could be looked careless in a time, but beautiful in the other time. She's just perfect.

Sixth question : Boys Before Flowers - Korea. Trust me, it's not about I like Korean or more....So Yi Jung :P

Thanks to you the questions stop there. If you gave us more questions about anything of this drama, my brain will break soon :))

Guest Miyavi

^^" i'm glad im not the only one that thinks the japanese one is better D:

i think matsumoto jun is better because he is more funny @_@"

they should've put more humor in the korean one...

and no doubt....oguri shun pwns @_@"

Guest sasgrace

^^" i'm glad im not the only one that thinks the japanese one is better D:

i think matsumoto jun is better because he is more funny @_@"

they should've put more humor in the korean one...

and no doubt....oguri shun pwns @_@"

I think korean tried tp be humorous but they failed at this department. I remember I still laugh at funny Domyoji scenes in HYD but Jun Pyo ones was simply lame (and for me it's because of the acting skills).

Archived