Choi Jin Hyuk 최진혁 [Current SBS Variety Show]'My Little Old Boy'; [completed MBC Drama 2023] "Numbers"; [Upcoming JTBC 2024 Drama]"She Is Different Day and Night 낮과 밤이 다른 그녀"

booha

Did the golf show with oppa already start? :unamused: Is anyone watching it? I know I won't :joy:

Also, it's quite a long time ago since we saw our oppa in a drama, and there have been no casting rumors yet. Normally he would do at least one drama per year, no?

Please oppa, choose a villain role next.

0090927a98cf531d74b9a7b441c8b19c.gif

Since he seems to be such a warm and sincere person in real life, performing convincingly as a villain would really showcase his talents as an actor. :glasses:

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

On 5/9/2021 at 1:13 AM, partyon said:

Did the golf show with oppa already start? :unamused: Is anyone watching it? I know I won't :joy:

Also, it's quite a long time ago since we saw our oppa in a drama, and there have been no casting rumors yet. Normally he would do at least one drama per year, no?

Please oppa, choose a villain role next.

Since he seems to be such a warm and sincere person in real life, performing convincingly as a villain would really showcase his talents as an actor. :glasses:

Okay I found CJH will appear in Naver Now “Night Studio”(5/12 wed 11pm KST)   It seems he appears in the show because his friend,  a singer Kim Jae-joong is going to be a substitute host (as show’s host takes off on vacation for one week).  No info about what CJH will do in the show.

Naver NOW: is a streaming service that allows you to enjoy various contents live 24 hours a day. In the early days, it was enjoyed with zero rating (data cost free), but the data free service ended due to the expiration of contracts with telecommunications companies on January 31, 2021.

PS no info about the golf show

There is a good reason why CJH seldom appeared in variety shows.  He knows that he just doesn’t know how to entertain. Lol :sweat_smile:

About his playing a villain  I’m afraid I have to put up a big sign of NOOO  haha.  I have only one fantasy oppa for now. :fun:

Maybe he can play a villain much later later…. maybe then I move onto a different… haha   Well who’s kidding  here lol :tounge_xd:   He wants to be a good actor He can play any role he wishes for :star:

WEySgSa.png

ok26QNl.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

Surprise JHssi will appear again in ‘my little old boy’(5/23 S)    He said he had a recording for the show before he came.  Gosh I was relieved knowing he only had one episode but now there are more of him huhuuu  :astonished::blush:
CJH explained to KJJ in ‘Night Studio’ why he decided to show his private side.  I know he got a good rating  for the first appearance so I have to assume people liked what they saw of him in  a different setting!!  
I’m glad KJJ is very smooth and natural.  He did good by helping CJH loosened himself up.  CJH confessed he was a bit tense coming to the show

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

3 hours ago, booha said:

Surprise JHssi will appear again in ‘my little old boy’(5/23 S)    He said he had a recording for the show before he came.  Gosh I was relieved knowing he only had one episode but now there are more of him huhuuu  :astonished::blush:
CJH explained to KJJ in ‘Night Studio’ why he decided to show his private side.  I know he got a good rating  for the first appearance so I have to assume people liked what they saw of him in  a different setting!!  

First of all, thanks @booha for finding and translating news about oppa! Always appreciated.:Megathanks:

I am actually really glad to hear that he will be back on My Ugly Duckling. I found him endearing and funny. :kiss_wink:

About the radio show, I was surprised to learn that he is friends with Jaejoong. I’ve always been under the impression that he doesn’t have many celebrity friends and Jaejoong is so random. Don’t think they have appeared in a drama together so assume they met through music then?

Sesame Street Idk GIF

I am also wondering why his agency is pushing him into different shows so much currently. I mean it’s great for us fans but I really want to see him in a drama or a movie   too. I guess they are trying to get more exposure to him?

Don’t know if y’all saw his latest IG post but it was of a bridge and he was talking about how nice the weather was. I was like, that’s random...?

But he also said that he feels that he is lacking.

I wonder why he is feeling so down. :sad1: I feel like it has to do with his career... Poor oppa!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 1

@partyon

Sorry late response  :pensive:
About his return to ‘my little old boy’(5/23 S)  actually I wasn’t thrilled  to read it.    I guess I wasn’t ready to see more of him moping around his apartment. Lol :tounge_xd:    Thankfully the preview shows him doing a typical convention reality show, like outdoor barbequing with a friend/company(?), B.A.P. singer Yoo Young-jae (He was in ‘Mr Queen’)   It looks like he touched up his hair this time.  haha

PS CJH said in in Naver Now ‘Night Studio’  that he was looking into this one drama at the moment.  I wonder whether he will be back with a new drama this year or next year?  :blush: 

PS I’m going to try to translate the preview & some of clips from ‘Night Studio’

My Little Old Boy  Preview

kr8BB9n.jpg

SdFzGkY.jpg

Spoiler

E3IGsii.jpg

wf9KUuB.jpg

dxMWuI2.jpg

aYAO1z7.jpg

VPTh4zv.jpg

XkgLnSN.jpg

GwkHdht.jpg

cr to DC

real_jinhyuk https://www.instagram.com/p/COzUC0ShOeW/

Did you enjoy watching the Naver Now  ‘Night Studio’ yesterday?
The weather is so nice these days. I hope everyone tries sunbathing even for a moment for healing
 These days, I feel like I am very inadequate/lacking, so I am trying to manage my mind positively and cheerfully.    Maybe that's why I have more appreciation about having good weather

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

4 minutes ago, booha said:

@partyon

PS CJH said in in Naver Now ‘Night Studio’  that he was looking into this one drama at the moment.  I wonder whether he will be back with a new drama this year or next year?  :blush: 

PS I’m going to try to translate the preview & some of clips from ‘Night Studio’

real_jinhyuk https://www.instagram.com/p/COzUC0ShOeW/

Did you enjoy watching the Naver Now  ‘Night Studio’ yesterday?

Thank you @booha for the Night Studio clips.   Zoppa looks young here, LOL or is it just me?  
He looks really good in that white bigsweater do.

And may I ask what was that stuff he was holding - intestines?   Reminded me much of Zombie Detective.

Glad he mentioned something about looking into drama - am sure he receives some scripts. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

@Min2206

Yes it looks like mega intestines  lol  Yup it only happens at bachelor barbeques, intestines & kimchi & soju :sweat_smile:

**It talks about ‘car-camping’ but  I’m not clear whether the two are actually car-camping.  That car doesn’t look big enough to accommodate two men??   Maybe CJH camps alone??

**It’s hard to translate a variety show, especially the preview.  Tried my best

My Little Old Boy  Preview(5/23)

translation

001) enhance the mood for car-camping
(004) CJH: "(??)"
(007)  YJ: "enliven the mood"
(009) Youngjae's sweet guitar melody
(010)CJH: "Hey  are you playing around!!!"

Spoiler

(013) CJH: "You turn on the speaker now!"
(017) CJH: "I prepared something amazing"
(021) Awesome /fantastic,
(023) "o-meo o-meo o-meo"
(024)  jackpot  news
(026) kimchi, slapping/splashing (As CJH pulls kimchi out from the bag, saying jokingly “Let me paint a picture with it ( as kimchi is drenched with sauce))
(029) Aa…handsome-clumsy man  
(032) [confession] CJH: "car-camping is really hard"
(036) answer one´s own question
  If it's really hard, will you only remember it once
(040)  Microphone quits  (singing CJH got stuck )

egTqngT.gif

D0hjgTy.gif

cr to DC

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, booha said:

@Min2206

Yesit looks like mega intestines  lol  Yup it only happens at bachelor barbeques, intestines & kimchi & soju :sweat_smile:

**It talks about ‘car-camping’ but  I’m not clear whether the two are actually car-camping.  That car doesn’t look big enough to accommodate two men??   Maybe CJH camps alone??

**It’s hard to translate a variety show, especially the preview.  Tried my best

My Little Old Boy  Preview(5/23)

Thank you @booha  for sharing the clips and doing the translation.  A lot of effort involved, I know.
You know what I like about Zoppa -- when he laughs or smiles, his eyes all wrinkle up - a very, very happy face.  
That facial expression cheers me up lately, amidst the depressing covid news in my country.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

Oh I'm so glad to hear he'll be appearing again in something. Anything! I am SO ready for a Choi Jin Hyuk drama though. It's when he's not around that I really start to miss good actors like him. I've been trying so hard to find a good drama to watch lately, but nothing catches my eye or heart these days. I lose interest very quickly if the actors are not up to par. You know, with some actors, you believe in them from the very first minute. They capture your attention right from the start. They fit their character with this kind of ease and bring it to life. And then you know you are the presence of greatness.
I just keep thinking, "if only he was Choi Jin Hyuk..." If only! Choi Jin Hyuk is really a special actor. He makes characters real and make them come to life. He would have added so much depth and emotional range to the main character. He makes acting look easy. Again, having the ideal face and the perfect nose are not what makes a drama good. A nose does not bring a story to life. Good acting does. And acting comes from the inside. You either have it or you don't. It's true. A lot of people, including directors and casting directors, make this mistake: they look for actors who fit the image they have in their mind of what a lead actor should look like. They think as long as they get an actor with those types of looks, it will guarantee a top-notch drama with high ratings. Oh but they are so wrong. 

Edited by serenilmauve
Please follow soompi rules and refrain in the future from using other actors as a negative reference and comparison! Thanks!
  • Like 2
  • Blob 2

I watched CJH’s part of ‘My Little Old Boy’  (the second part, about 40 mins)  Unfortunately no subs yet.  Here are the preview & a clip(5/23) and another preview for the coming week(5/30)  ((They have eng-auto trans))  It shows   CJH and Yoo Young-jae are doing car camping.   CJH and YYJ are very entertaining. 

MLOB preview(5/23)

clip (5/23)

MLOB preview(5/30)

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1

3 hours ago, booha said:

I watched CJH’s part of ‘My Little Old Boy’  (the second part, about 40 mins)  Unfortunately no subs yet.  Here are the preview & a clip(5/23) and another preview for the coming week(5/30)  ((They have eng-auto trans))  It shows   CJH and Yoo Young-jae are doing car camping.   CJH and YYJ are very entertaining. 

MLOB preview(5/23)

clip (5/23)

MLOB preview(5/30)

@booha, thanks for sharing the videos. BTW, have you heard that there's an upcoming "Tunnel" 2022? The title is "Tunnel 2022". This is a drama version of the 2017 film "Tunnel" of CJH. Now, it's starring Ha Jung-woo and Bae Doona:headbang:

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Blob 1

11 hours ago, willenette said:

@booha, thanks for sharing the videos. BTW, have you heard that there's an upcoming "Tunnel" 2022? The title is "Tunnel 2022". This is a drama version of the 2017 film "Tunnel" of CJH. Now, it's starring Ha Jung-woo and Bae Doona

Lionel Ritchie What GIF

Not Choi Jin Hyuk oppa? They couldn't cast him again? I would have loved to see him with Bae Doona. :bawling:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Blob 1

EVENT: 50 Things You Learn From A Korean Drama

Have you ever tried to explain to your friends and family why you watch k-dramas? What is it that makes them so unique?

Chingus, now is your chance to help us compile a list of what you have learned from watching Korean dramas. :partyblob:

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @Lmangla @Sleepy Owl

• Like 1
  • Blob 3

Bae Doona and Choi Jin Hyuk as suggested above for the film - two very charismatic actors together - that would be so interesting to watch! I'm assuming she would be playing his daughter, though, so it wouldn't be a romantic pairing. Would love to see them together, if there is a director out there brilliant enough as the person who suggested this pairing. I have a theory why film directors don't cast Choi Jin Hyuk in films, but I'll save that for another day to hash over. I'm sure the film version will be great - it better be great because the drama was already great. They already have a proven recipe for success, and so if they manage to make a film that is worse than the drama, well then, that would be really hard to do, wouldn't it? Actually, Tunnel the drama, if you just edit the episodes down to 3 hours, you'll get an instant film that way. Just saved them a million dollars, you're welcome. Most Korean dramas, if you just cut it down to feature film length, would be AMAZING films. You cut out all the fillers and fluff, and keep all the good stuff. These film-length dramas would actually be more watchable and enjoyable than some real films! You know how some Korean and Japanese films can be really artsy and super boring with the worst dialogue, right? But somehow they still manage to get made. I bet our drama films could even win Oscars, because there are some Korean dramas that are super well made and superior in quality to films. There are so many dramas that I would love to go back and re-watch, if I had more time. But how often do you have time or the patience to re-watch 16 episode-long dramas, even if they were fantastic? For a long time, I've wanted to edit my favorite dramas down to feature film-length so that I can re-watch them more often. Even my favorite dramas have parts that could be cut out. Plus, it just seems like a fun intellectual exercise - selecting which scenes to keep and which scenes if left out can actually make it better.

On another subject - have you noticed how "veteran" experienced lead actors like Choi Jin Hyuk half of the time gets paired up with novice inexperienced actors? For example, Justice, Zombie Detective. As directors and casting directors, the job is not just to find the best looking pair, but most importantly, the best acting pair. Personally, I think this type of uneven match-up is a recipe for disaster, and a waste of talent. The method that makes most sense is pairing up good actors with good actors, so that you get a good drama. One actor, no matter how good, cannot make up for another actor's weaknesses and shortcomings. This may sound harsh, but a bad actor, especially in a lead role, can undo all the advantages that a drama may have, such as a strong script or an otherwise strong ensemble. 

PS The English subs for Ugle Duckling are out!!! And I love Choi Jin Hyuk's appearance this time!!! Our handsome idiot is back and just as idiotic yet strangely lovable!!! He is a man full of surprises. Definitely not your typical A-list leading actor in Seoul. The TV show is listed as Mom's Diary - My Ugly Duckling. Episode 243. He appears in the last 40 minutes, but if you have time, the first part is nice and touching to watch. It shows another celebrity - a singer who visits his mom's grave - she passed away when he was 22-23, before he became successful. It was very sad to see, you could see the regret and sadness in his face. His mom is the one person who supported and loved him the most, and the one he misses the most now. I feel that although Choi Jin Hyuk has experienced a lot of struggles and difficulties in his career and personal life, he is fortunate to have both parents around, and that he could shower them with love and gifts now that he's successful. He doesn't have live with the regret of not being able to give back to mom and treat her well. But I know he has other regrets... but still... I guess those of us who have parents around are unspeakably lucky, even if it can still be frustrating at times, right? 

Edited by serenilmauve
Please follow soompi rules and refrain in the future from using other actors as a negative comparison! And don’t reference to unofficial streaming/subbing sites! Thanks!
  • Like 2
  • Blob 1

@Min2206  @MaybeOneDay

On 5/24/2021 at 1:40 AM, willenette said:

@booha, thanks for sharing the videos. BTW, have you heard that there's an upcoming "Tunnel" 2022? The title is "Tunnel 2022". This is a drama version of the 2017 film "Tunnel" of CJH. Now, it's starring Ha Jung-woo and Bae Doona:headbang:

On 5/24/2021 at 12:50 PM, partyon said:

Not Choi Jin Hyuk oppa? They couldn't cast him again? I would have loved to see him with Bae Doona. :bawling:

https://www.hancinema.net/new-drama-tunnel--2022-151488.html

Okayokay  I feel like  Hancinama possibly made a mistake saying a drama, “Tunnel “(2017)  instead  a movie, Tunnel (2016 film) - Wikipedia:sweat:    I found only two articles( Jan 2020 & Nov 2020) which mentioned very briefly about maybe/possible Tunnel Season2.  I checked out two actors (Ha Jung-woo & Bae Doona) and they seem like movie stars.   
Besides if there is going to be Tunnel(2017)Season2, media should mention CJH’s name but there is none.
The drama(Tunnel) was written in such a way that  it’s hard for me to think they could make Season2.

PS wow Ha jung Woo is a mega movie star according to wiki : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ha_Jung-woo
“Ha Jung-woo is a South Korean actor, film director, screenwriter and film producer. One of the highest grossing actors in South Korea, Ha's starring films have accumulated more than 100 million tickets…”

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

Guys, I have still yet to watch Choi Jin Hyuk in My Ugly Duckling. He does look really sweet and cute in the pictures posted here though :kiss_wink: Will try to watch the episodes this weekend.

Thanks @booha for clearing up the misunderstanding about Tunnel.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

@partyon

I like to think that the person(hancinama)  who wrote it must like our Tunnel(2017). So much that when the season-2 Tunnel was appeared, what else but Tunnel(2017)  right??  haha   :lol:
If I ever want to see Season-2 from CJH’s dramas, it would be Zombie.  What a character  No one can create a character like that. :glasses::heart:

My Old Little Boy(from Viki translation):joy:

YYJ: Do you want to try it?

CJH: You eat .   I don't like to be fed by a guy

WJq4juC.gif

CJH: It's embarrassing   No it's embarrassing! (Ah no!)

ffX2tUN.gif

YYJ: To be honest   It's been a while since a woman fed you like this, right?

8PEtjxV.gif

Spoiler

CJH: I don't remember someone putting food... into my mouth...recently

UGCnMJ1.gif

(He wants to keep his pride by putting his hand in his pocket.)

vr7Fx7g.gif

YYJ: Oh, it's not cooked??

czUfHp7.gif

cr to DC

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

1 minute ago, booha said:

@partyon

I like to think that the person(hancinama)  who wrote it must like our Tunnel(2017). So much that when the season-2 Tunnel was appeared, what else but Tunnel(2017)  right??  haha   :lol:
If I ever want to see Season-2 from CJH’s dramas, it would be Zombie.  What a character  No one can create a character like that. :glasses::heart:

My Old Little Boy(from Viki translation):joy:

YYJ: Do you want to try it?

CJH: You eat .   I don't like to be fed by a guy

CJH: It's embarrassing   No it's embarrassing! (Ah no!)

YYJ: To be honest   It's been a while since a woman fed you like this, right?

cr to DC

LOL @booha  Thank you so much for the translation along with the gif.

@partyon  Zoppa really needs a GF ...please :Please:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@booha Thank you so much for the hilarious gifs and the translations. :dorakiss:

What is the meaning of putting his hand in his pocket? You wrote he wants to keep his pride?

I started watching the latest episode of My Ugly Duckling yesterday but didn't make it through oppa's part since I got caught up watching Seo In Guk's parts first. haha :D I only saw the first part of oppa driving, and I learnt that he's a "homebody".

In any case, he's such a sweetheart despite his clumsiness. And he's really funny too. His serious roles are really far from his true personality. And yeah @Min2206 I agree that he totally needs a girlfriend. 
:heart4:

Tagging @agenth because she enjoyed the My Ugly Duckling episodes of oppa too. :kiss_wink:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1