Official 20+ Jobs Thread

Aziraphale

Guest jess1tym4life

^I'm in the IT field.

In your case, to get started, I would first put my portfolio on a website, contact IT recruitment agencies and send resumes to as many related positions on job sites.

Do you have any qualifications? If not, complete web dev/design courses/subs in tafe/uni.

If it is possible, get someone who is in the field of web design and ask for assistance.

Thanks for the tip & suggestion, i don't have any experience i did do Info Tech at school but those were basic stuff, i have my own website but it's not from what i have created from scratch i use codes from invisonfree boards to like change how i want my forum to look like. It's more like a hobbie at first but now i want get more into it.

I am looking for the right course to do since web designing courses i have looked at are so expensive just for a few days. I guess it's a start..need to find course than create my personal site..I would like to find a job that does training...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest watcher

Thanks for the tip & suggestion, i don't have any experience i did do Info Tech at school but those were basic stuff, i have my own website but it's not from what i have created from scratch i use codes from invisonfree boards to like change how i want my forum to look like. It's more like a hobbie at first but now i want get more into it.

I am looking for the right course to do since web designing courses i have looked at are so expensive just for a few days. I guess it's a start..need to find course than create my personal site..I would like to find a job that does training...

if you wanna get into web design, perhaps you should start with classes on html/javascript/css/flash to cover the UI portion of website development and also photoshop to cover some concept design elements.

if you want to get in a bit deeper, you can dip into DBA [database administration], network administrator, desktop support [you probably dont want to do this], app. support [server administration], software engineer [writing scripts and full-scale web-apps] and a few other roles i can't think off the top of my head

considering your hobby, im guessing you should focus on the UI elements and a little bit of scripting [php/asp/java are the big 3, and some honorable mention to perl... since the older generation still live by it]. there's lots of other frameworks out there though, like ruby [on rails] which supposedly makes it much easier to create highly scalable yet simple web apps.

anyways... take a few classes on the evolution of internet if there is on. stuff on web 1.0 vs web 2.0, the rise of tagging, AJAX and other implementations of web technologies that make the internet a livelier and more interactive place. i think learning vision is the most important factor in the IT field. vision will determine creative solutions to the problems that companies and users are looking for. once you have vision, it's just a matter of figuring out your own implementation of the problem you are asked to solve.

if this means you are working for someone else, they will give you options on which tools to use. if you are working for yourself, you choose from a plethora of implementations. at this point, it's a matter of learning those technologies or hiring someone to do part of your work.

Guest yourtheonlyway

I'm about to graduate in May of this year, and I'm at that point, where I can't decide what I want to do. I have these other options, whether I want to continue with schooling (grad school), finding a "real" job, or travel, and etc. I was introduced to the Peace Corp, because our university held a job fair last month. Now, the Peace Corp has become one of the options I could possibly take. One of the recuriters had me thinking of what I 'really" wanted to do with my life. I feel that the Peace Corp can totally change my life. It got me thinking that I needed to get out, do something for change, and make a difference.

(im getting to my question. . haha.)

I was wondering, if anyone here had joined the Peace Corp, and if you have, could tell us of your experience? Is it worth joining, and becoming volunteer? Or if not, is anyone thinking to join the Peace Corp?

Guest epark1281

I'm currently working in R+D in a technical job. I'm wanting to make the switch to technical marketing. I was wondering if anybody else made the switch, and how difficult it was to adjust.

Guest mike321

I am wondering what kind of job would be better in the long run.

Either in accounting or being in law. I am not aiming to be a lawyer or have the ambition to. I was thinking more of a legal secretary or paralegal.

As for accounting, I've always thought of just working in a bank as a financial advisor or something.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since this is the 20+ thread, I would get a better insight on these careers.

In my opinion, accounting vs banking is really different. Well I guess banking is a really a vague term too; saying I want a banking job is really similar to I want a business job. T.T

Anyhow, accounting, in my perspective (and in no offense to any designated CAs out there), is the art of VERY ADVACED book keeping. It's a job about keeping track of financial records (assets, liabilities), cost, and reporting them. If you follow the career path and become a CA (Chartered Accountant) you might find yourself working for the "big four" pricewaterhouse, eryst & younge, kpmg, deloitte. They're pretty big companies.

Banking is a really big. Traditional banks are in the business of loaning money for interest! Sure banks need accountants too themselves and accounting skills are useful for inspecting other companies, but I'd still say accounting is not banking. And then there are investment banks too ... ^^ ..

Just my opinions ...

any recruiters or people with connections here that can hook me up with a business job in Toronto?

I'm a 3rd year business student looking preferably for a finance or consulting internship.

PM me please.

If you're looking for internships, you're late by like 3 months. Bay Street did all their hiring by december...

Guest mnguyen725

I'm having the hardest time trying to find a new job. This one is barely enough to pay for the babysitter and what's worse it that I'm the service manager (so technically I hold a manager position) and I'm getting paid $10 an hour. I've worked here for almost three now and we've never had a review or anything. My boss knows I do really well, but I get paid the same as everyone else. I asked him for a raise one time, I brought in everything that I've accomplished and showed him how well I've been doing and he says to me "I can't give you a raise because then, the home office will think I'm playing favorites."

I don't get what I'm doing wrong... I went to my school's enrichment center (since being an alumni we still get those resources) and they helped me with my resume. How come I can't find another job?

Guest watcher

I'm having the hardest time trying to find a new job. This one is barely enough to pay for the babysitter and what's worse it that I'm the service manager (so technically I hold a manager position) and I'm getting paid $10 an hour. I've worked here for almost three now and we've never had a review or anything. My boss knows I do really well, but I get paid the same as everyone else. I asked him for a raise one time, I brought in everything that I've accomplished and showed him how well I've been doing and he says to me "I can't give you a raise because then, the home office will think I'm playing favorites."

I don't get what I'm doing wrong... I went to my school's enrichment center (since being an alumni we still get those resources) and they helped me with my resume. How come I can't find another job?

how many applications have you sent out? were you qualified for those jobs? did you go out on interviews? what were the reasons for companies not hiring you? what else have you tried in order to apply for jobs and get interviews?

have you asked your boss why giving you a raise is playing favorites? how long have the other workers been at your company? how do you distinguish yourself from those workers? distinguished merit and accomplishment should be rewarded, for without it, the upper levels of management are going to lose some pretty good people.

Guest mnguyen725

^

I've sent out probably 30 apps a week. Usually I never hear from anyone & yes I do qualify for the positions. I remember one time for a job at KB homes, they said I was over qualified because I had a bachelor's degree... >.<

I've been here longer than anyone at the office. I distinguish myself from everyone else by the fact that I deal with all the customer service issues that no one else wants to deal with. I can do sales and service, while others do just either sales OR service, not both. I can speak both Vietnamese and English pretty well. I actually know more than the agent knows... and now he cut me from getting bonuses, because I work service not sales. I think I do an ok job because a lot of people seem satisfied with the service I provide and by the comments they give me. I strive for the best because I know our customers deserve 110%.

Guest watcher

^

I've sent out probably 30 apps a week. Usually I never hear from anyone & yes I do qualify for the positions. I remember one time for a job at KB homes, they said I was over qualified because I had a bachelor's degree... >.<

I've been here longer than anyone at the office. I distinguish myself from everyone else by the fact that I deal with all the customer service issues that no one else wants to deal with. I can do sales and service, while others do just either sales OR service, not both. I can speak both Vietnamese and English pretty well. I actually know more than the agent knows... and now he cut me from getting bonuses, because I work service not sales. I think I do an ok job because a lot of people seem satisfied with the service I provide and by the comments they give me. I strive for the best because I know our customers deserve 110%.

i'm wondering if it's just a real bad market right now [if you're living in the US] and even though companies are looking, they might not be hiring right now. however, i do know that if you have solid experience [reflected in resume], you should be hearing back from more than one or two companies, especially considering you're applying to 30/week.

as for you being distinguished and deserving of a raise, i'd keep trying to negotiate with the manager, unless your company is also strapped for cash. in this case, negotiation will likely end up nowhere. can't give you more of what they don't have to begin with. i've heard of negotiating for benefits, but often times, these are worked out when someone gets hired. i'm not sure if people do that when promotions/raises come about, except when dealing with stock options.

in any case, good luck and hope you find something soon.

Guest 709394

man, with a BA degree i think u could and should be requesting for much more. And 3 years without review? Usually review is given every year. Use solid facts and set examples of when you think you did a good job or whatnot, but if I were you, I wouldn't bother trying to raise your wage and settle for something else instead. Craigslist or a great source for job hunting. Good luck :)

Guest 709394

I'm currently working for an engineering firm doing "marketing"

but really, it isn't marketing at all, maybe 10% of ral marketing and 90% of coordinating stuff.

Anyhow, for the work that I do, I'm getting paid quite a lot.

I think I landed this job really luckily, their previous marketing person sucked and they really needed a new hire, so then I came along...

Anyhow, this job is really really chill and i basically can do whatever the hell I want,

but...i'm not learning anything, its boring most of the day, and all my coworkers are old, married engineers...some old enough to be my grandpa. I, on the other hand, just graduted from college.

Really wanting to switch careers but with my work experience, i dont think its a good idea righ tnow. I dont think i'll land a job with this much pay based on what experience i have, so i'm trying to just suck it up and keep going. I have an economics degree but i'm clueless what i really want to do...so I opted for accounting, and am currently taking some accounting courses (u need 5? to get your CPA)

but i'm worried that by the time i get those 5 classes done, and try to find an accounting job, it will be hard...but hell, you gotta start from somewhere.

Anyone ever switch to accounting mid-career?

Guest mnguyen725

man, with a BA degree i think u could and should be requesting for much more. And 3 years without review? Usually review is given every year. Use solid facts and set examples of when you think you did a good job or whatnot, but if I were you, I wouldn't bother trying to raise your wage and settle for something else instead. Craigslist or a great source for job hunting. Good luck :)

Thanks, I'm gonna try looking at craigslist. :)

Guest watcher

I'm currently working for an engineering firm doing "marketing"

but really, it isn't marketing at all, maybe 10% of ral marketing and 90% of coordinating stuff.

Anyhow, for the work that I do, I'm getting paid quite a lot.

I think I landed this job really luckily, their previous marketing person sucked and they really needed a new hire, so then I came along...

Anyhow, this job is really really chill and i basically can do whatever the hell I want,

but...i'm not learning anything, its boring most of the day, and all my coworkers are old, married engineers...some old enough to be my grandpa. I, on the other hand, just graduted from college.

Really wanting to switch careers but with my work experience, i dont think its a good idea righ tnow. I dont think i'll land a job with this much pay based on what experience i have, so i'm trying to just suck it up and keep going. I have an economics degree but i'm clueless what i really want to do...so I opted for accounting, and am currently taking some accounting courses (u need 5? to get your CPA)

but i'm worried that by the time i get those 5 classes done, and try to find an accounting job, it will be hard...but hell, you gotta start from somewhere.

Anyone ever switch to accounting mid-career?

what country are you in? in the US, you need to pass 4 exams and get in 1 year's worth of accounting experience to qualify for CPA.

i dont know about you, but i wouldn't sit still on a dead end job, even if it paid well. [unless the company can pretty much ensure you do it for the rest of your life with decent pay]. if you don't know what to do, keep the job and figure it out as you go. but if you have a good idea where you want to head next, don't be afraid of the pay cut. the right decision will pay off later on.

Guest 709394

what country are you in? in the US, you need to pass 4 exams and get in 1 year's worth of accounting experience to qualify for CPA.

i dont know about you, but i wouldn't sit still on a dead end job, even if it paid well. [unless the company can pretty much ensure you do it for the rest of your life with decent pay]. if you don't know what to do, keep the job and figure it out as you go. but if you have a good idea where you want to head next, don't be afraid of the pay cut. the right decision will pay off later on.

yep, im in the bay area. I don't want to sit in a dead-end job either, but i feel as a college grad without much experience, i need to wait this out for the so-called "corporate experience." to add to my resume.

1 years worth of accounting experience eh? means I'd have to start switching gears pretty soon...damn.

ur right, no pain no gain, need to make some risks in life to get somewhere...

r u an accountant watcher?

Guest tommy96814

I work as an network administrator for a certain company. luck plays a partial row because i would not have gotten the job if i didnt went to school ;) one of my classmate who worked there just happens to be leaving the position and i went in for an interview. i was hired before i even graduated.

Job titles these days mean squat since they're just a tool to make anyone sound "good". To be accurate, you are usually considered a manager if you are actually managing a group of people.

But $10/hr with a BA degree and 3 years experience in the industry is terrible. Are you working in the industry that you have taken your bachelor's in?

The market must be desperate there in the US.

Guest megaSTEPxo

I need some advice & questions about resigning :)

Well this is practically my first part time job.. so I don't have any experience with it before.

1) I think I'll quit (stop working) in mid-late August. Do you think early-mid July would be a good time to give my boss the letter? (Because I wanted him to be able to have more time to hire + train other people).

2) When I give the letter, should I give the letter outside of my shift hours? Or during my shift? And if during the shift, should I give it at the beginning or after my shift? (I work at a small kiosk and my boss is usually on the shift with me... )

3) Also, before giving the letter, should I explain verbally too? Or simply say, "This is my resignation letter." and just let him (the boss) read it first.

4) On the resignation letter, should I indicate my reasons for resigning? (Or it's really up to me?)

Thanks!

Archived