Official 20+ Jobs Thread

Aziraphale

Guest watcher

when im with my friends and family, im okay with it. im not shy. really. i mean, im the one who's aggressive when it comes to my friends. but i just dont like meeting "serious" people. when i was in college, i never want to talk to our chairperson because he's very intimidating. many people are so afraid of him because he's really a snob and when people try to approach him, he'll just shrug them off. i just want to share my experience about our chairperson because i never thought that we would jive. he's the type of person who you really cannot talk to because he's way too serious and doesnt want to joke around. but when im with him, we play and give funny jokes together. i wonder why with other people who are not really intimidating and they are approachable, i always get nervous with them. i cant talk. i cant express what i want to say. :( can you give any tips? i have lots of friends and honestly, i can not say that i lack socialization way back in my college because i have lots of friends. its just that im too shy and so afraid. if you're gonna ask me, afraid of what, afraid of everything. afraid of what might he think of me, afraid to be rejected, afraid of people (who i do not know personally and first time meeting). please help me. :(

go to a meet and greet. or try out some test interviews at job fairs. dont worry about messing up at those. you're not going there to nail your job anyways. you're going there for social interaction and building your conversation skills.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest negitoro

i always get nervous and shy when im interviewed. the employer would say that i have good communication skills and my exams are all good but when it comes to my interview, they always say that i couldn't express myself that much. they say that im too shy but i have the potentials. i want to overcome this attitude but how? i always practice the things that i will say about myself but i always end up blank. like this week, i had my second interview in a real estate company. im applying for the position as a consultant and i end up saying nothing. my mind was blank and i just cant tell what my mouth wants to say. i feel sorry for myself because the employer said "He (pertaining to the guy who interviewed me first) would not have endorsed you if you dont have the skills. i think you are a bright girl and you have the potentials but you are so shy, sometimes, you just have to be aggressive." also, i actually know what the position im applying for. i got so nervous and i just told him "i dont know." but i've already studied their company i know what im applying for. i think he got disappointed and he just gave me a sermon. but yes, that is my problem. i just cant say what i say because im too shy and nervous. how can i get a job if im like this? i need to overcome this. and also, i think my english is bad. :(

please help. :(

It's all about practice, practice, practice. You're nervous only because it's an unfamiliar situation that you normally don't put yourself in. So apply for many jobs, including ones you're not even really interested in. The more interviews you attend, the easier they become until you won't even have to think about what to say because you know all your answers forwards and backwards.

If that doesn't work for you, my friend once suggested to take a shot of something half an hour before your interview :D Basically, not enough to get you drunk but just a tiny bit to relax you a bit LOL

Guest dunpingy

two things -

- do mock interviews with your friends, its not exactly the same but you can catch yourself from giving bad responses like 'i dont know'

- this problem is bigger than something that can be really solved with more interviews.. in the real world people like yourself get passed over for a lot of different things. i recommend attending more networking events and just try to talk to people outside your close group of friends.

Guest HERMIT

anybody work in the sciences?

Physical Chemist here...

I'm presuming that street pharmacist doesn't count.

Guest vernness

I work in marketing and events. The job's starting to richard simmons me off as I hafta deal with unresonable and unprofessional idiots at work.

Get a life ppl or just quit yr job!

The pay is not exactly excellent anyway with the cost of living rising like mad.

-End-

Guest stryder

any recruiters or people with connections here that can hook me up with a business job in Toronto?

I'm a 3rd year business student looking preferably for a finance or consulting internship.

PM me please.

Guest Lil'Hazel

hey all, im just wondering why is it that things that you really wanted ended up going the other way? kay...that doesnt make sense i guess..but um yeah i just have a story..i actually a lil workaholic..not that i really like working but i have to work since i need it to help with my family's finances...I'm an ambitious person and i really want to be a successful person one day...so everytime i have a part time job..i tried so harddd not to make any mistakes when im working...but everytime im trying to do my best, it ended up that i made even more mistakes and as much as i wanted to make my managers all happy with my performances..the harder that i work...the more disappointed they get...i had two part time jobs since i left high school and in those two jobs...i got fired because i made mistakes and they really werent satisfied. its so strange..i tried my best to do everything in my job...like i tried to do everything they assigned for me but when one mistake happen...it all seem to backfiresss on me..i think im getting fired this coming friday cause i just did a huge mistake today...i had to open up the store yesterday morning and i forgot about the key and accidentally left the key in the store and this morning my friend couldnt open up the store and ended up opening the store an hour late than it supposed to be...my manager was practically mad at me and now my mom is roaring at me too...i dont know what to think or what to say anymore..i've tried my best to do everything..but i seems to make more mistakes the harder i do it...whats goin on? things seems to backfires on me...perhaps i dont have any talents to work...even the simplest job and duty i seem to blew it...probably im not meant to be successful let alone make people around me happy... any advice? thanks

Guest str8upyangsterr

I work at the IT department in the library on campus.. also as an undergrad assistant at the college of education at my school.. and at the cafe on the bottom floor of the library.. also on campus..

and then off campus i tutor 6-12 with school homework and reading

and i am a full time student :]

...my friends always make fun of me because i have 4 jobs (well 5 including being a student).. *sigh

Guest suzic87

omg ive just been asked for an interview for Langham Hotel (mong kok) but its in Hong Kong, and i cant go!! bleurgh

but i also have another interview for marriot hotels for their grad scheme!! and its a phone one, anyone else had a phone interview before? what was it like? cos i hate phones!

Guest Swtess

I am wondering what kind of job would be better in the long run.

Either in accounting or being in law. I am not aiming to be a lawyer or have the ambition to. I was thinking more of a legal secretary or paralegal.

As for accounting, I've always thought of just working in a bank as a financial advisor or something.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since this is the 20+ thread, I would get a better insight on these careers.

Guest negitoro

but i also have another interview for marriot hotels for their grad scheme!! and its a phone one, anyone else had a phone interview before? what was it like? cos i hate phones!
I don't really like phone interviews.

Since they're not face to face, you can't really play off the other person that well and you can't really see if things are going well. If you don't use speaker phone, you also have to hold the damn thing to your ear the whole time and the headset gets warm and uncomfortable and your arm gets tired.

On the flip side though, you can be comfortable (I did one lying on my couch and in my pajamas once) and you can keep a ridiculous amount of notes and reference materials handy.

The worst are the ones where they call you back at random and then want to "ask you a few questions and talk a little about the job" right then and there. I always flunk those because I can never compose myself quickly enough and get into an interview frame of mind LOL

I am wondering what kind of job would be better in the long run.

Either in accounting or being in law. I am not aiming to be a lawyer or have the ambition to. I was thinking more of a legal secretary or paralegal.

As for accounting, I've always thought of just working in a bank as a financial advisor or something.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since this is the 20+ thread, I would get a better insight on these careers.

It sounds like you have more passion in Accounting. I believe this is your career of choice since you already envisaged yourself in finance.

Accounting is great profession, plus my mother's an accountant and shes a finance manager in Australia for a major airline.

Guest dunpingy

While you could certainly become a financial advisor with any business degree, this isn't what accountants actually do.

Guest Swtess

Oh i just said those things cause it popped into my head.

If I was going to go into legal, I wanted to go somewhere into the immigration category and as for accounting, I've always thought of just working in a bank.

I was just wondering if anyone can give me some insights what going into either one is like and which is more beneficial in the long run.

I don't know if that makes any sense.

I have interest in both, but I just can't choose and when I ask around, not many people gave me much info except for telling me the salaries they make.

Guest FusionGT2

Anyone here constantly try to be recruited by PYRAMID SCHEME type jobs?! Jobs like PRImerica, ACN, and USANA etc?! Im so sick of these types of jobs trying to "hire" me. The funny thing is everytime they "interview" me its the same thing every one of those companies say. Stuff like "Oh our CEO is very close to being a millionaire" - "You dont have to work full time and still make $5000/month" - "WE help YOU make money, all you have to do is recruit" Man what a load of bull.. The worst part is I got suckered into this last interview from a FRIEND! Do you believe that?! She was all tellin me "Oh its a fun place to work just talk to the director" and boom.. right when he started talking I was like oh **** its this thing again..

AHHH ok im done venting damn.. what a bad day :crazy:

Guest jess1tym4life

i'm from Australia, my current job is a job it pays my bill not my ideal job. I want to get more into the IT, web designing field but don't know where to start and what course is best that can get me qualification to get that job.

I also would love the opportunities to work oversea a chance to gain more experience and explore other work place. I just had an interview but didn't get the job but it's ok i will keep looking.

So who is in the IT field or is working oversea what are your tips how to start and what you need to plan?

^I'm in the IT field.

In your case, to get started, I would first put my portfolio on a website, contact IT recruitment agencies and send resumes to as many related positions on job sites.

Do you have any qualifications? If not, complete web dev/design courses/subs in tafe/uni.

If it is possible, get someone who is in the field of web design and ask for assistance.

Archived