Official 20+ Jobs Thread

Aziraphale

Guest watcher

I need some advice & questions about resigning :)

Well this is practically my first part time job.. so I don't have any experience with it before.

1) I think I'll quit (stop working) in mid-late August. Do you think early-mid July would be a good time to give my boss the letter? (Because I wanted him to be able to have more time to hire + train other people).

2) When I give the letter, should I give the letter outside of my shift hours? Or during my shift? And if during the shift, should I give it at the beginning or after my shift? (I work at a small kiosk and my boss is usually on the shift with me... )

3) Also, before giving the letter, should I explain verbally too? Or simply say, "This is my resignation letter." and just let him (the boss) read it first.

4) On the resignation letter, should I indicate my reasons for resigning? (Or it's really up to me?)

Thanks!

it depends on the relationship you have with your boss as well as what kind of relationship you'd like after you quit. timing also depends on how long you think it would take to hire/train the next person. the courtesy time is usually 2 weeks, and the letter will usually contain a very general explanation for your leave and some words of thanks for the opportunity.

if you have the chance to keep your bridge connected after you leave, you should. references come in VERY handy, as the next company that hires you will likely ask for references to verify that you are a dependable hire.

as for when to give your letter, i'd say after your shift ends. that way it doesn't get in the way of work, and gives your boss some time to react to your resignation.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest whizzer's_rose

Hey guys! My sister is planning on taking up a career in the airline industry coz she wanna travel. She wants to be a flight attendant. She's tall, have nice set of teeth but her complexion is tan...are there any of you guys who could give good advice? :D

Guest whizzer's_rose

Exactly what kind of discrimination? we're new to this kind of thing because after graduation, I never attempted to apply or join the airline industry that's why I can't give her advice

Guest whizzer's_rose

oh..she's so thin..I think she'd fit in but what I'm worried about is her complexion..she doesn't have a fair complexion...more of like the "morena" complexion...

Anyone here constantly try to be recruited by PYRAMID SCHEME type jobs?! Jobs like PRImerica, ACN, and USANA etc?! Im so sick of these types of jobs trying to "hire" me. The funny thing is everytime they "interview" me its the same thing every one of those companies say. Stuff like "Oh our CEO is very close to being a millionaire" - "You dont have to work full time and still make $5000/month" - "WE help YOU make money, all you have to do is recruit" Man what a load of bull.. The worst part is I got suckered into this last interview from a FRIEND! Do you believe that?! She was all tellin me "Oh its a fun place to work just talk to the director" and boom.. right when he started talking I was like oh **** its this thing again..

AHHH ok im done venting damn.. what a bad day :crazy:

*raises hand*

And it came from a very good friend of mine too. One day we were talking and she told me about some place she's working for and she wants me to check it out. I said sure...then I started freaking out when she told me I had to dress professionally...

I went to one of the USANA training sessions.....it was a very different environment. I sorta felt like it was a cult, and that I was horribly misplaced. They were all extremely positive, and were very happy and proud that they were running their own businesses. No offense to any of you pyramid schemers out there, but buying supplies from a company and then selling it for them doesn't exactly count as owning your own business.

I do have some friends in there who actually do make thousands every month. It's not gonna work for me though, since I know I have cheap relatives who don't give squat about those expensive vitamins and would rather buy those 5 dollar multi-vitamins from Costco, and I don't want to trick my friends into this thing with me with promises of riches bigger than you could ever imagine (which was what exactly happened to me...but I wormed my way out).

It really damaged my relationship with my good friend. She thinks I don't trust her enough. Now she hangs out with all her Usana buddies and barely meet up with me and my group of friends. And even when we do meet, it's awkward, cause I don't know when she'd pull the inevitable "When are you going to join me?" question. Stupid USANA.

Guest DarkWaltz

Anyone here constantly try to be recruited by PYRAMID SCHEME type jobs?! Jobs like PRImerica, ACN, and USANA etc?! Im so sick of these types of jobs trying to "hire" me. The funny thing is everytime they "interview" me its the same thing every one of those companies say. Stuff like "Oh our CEO is very close to being a millionaire" - "You dont have to work full time and still make $5000/month" - "WE help YOU make money, all you have to do is recruit" Man what a load of bull.. The worst part is I got suckered into this last interview from a FRIEND! Do you believe that?! She was all tellin me "Oh its a fun place to work just talk to the director" and boom.. right when he started talking I was like oh **** its this thing again..

AHHH ok im done venting damn.. what a bad day :crazy:

One of my acquaintances introduced me to, and I quote, "the dream job that will give you 1k a month effortless".

He wouldn't tell me what it was nor give descriptions unless I'd go to the meeting first.

Curse ACN.

After I knew what it was, I immediately told him I wasn't interested. I thought it was a major waste of time for me as well but heck.I find it pitiful for companies to hold those kinds of pyramid scheme.

Like Emerald_Snow said, people are extremely happy and optimistic, and proud of running their "own business".

Frankly, I'd never do that, else I'd feel like a beggar trying to leech off money on my friends, family and others.

Guest fullhouse.forever

i love my job.. BUT I HATE MY WORK PLACE... The boss is soo stingy..and the pplz there complains all the time,..

Guest dharna84

Hi y'all...

Im in a road block... :unsure:

Im turning 24 later this year and age really creaps the hell out of me...!!! :sweatingbullets:

I already have an honours degree and still havent try out to find a job. :unsure::unsure:

The thing is im cought up between my dreams...

frankly i want to be a singer (i know this sounds a bit daunting but i do have the gift to sing...seriously!!!) and secondly be someone in the food industries...However my parents isnt that smitten about me singing.

But that isnt the real issue, even though i seriously do have the face to bring out a crowd but its just that i got plump up within the last two years after some family problems (which i do not dare to reveal)...sorry...and a scar on my face that cannot seam to be removed...

The thing is im scared that if i let go this dream of mine i might also regret leaving my 23+ years of holding on to it... Along those years i have wrote and discovered really good melody for my songs...everything i do or hear is just in the notion to make up for my passion...

its soo frustrating as hell...!!!

I dont know how people would be reply to this post but at least i hope to find somebody who may understand or if im lucky someone who can help me sort these things out...

Anyway this is my first time posting in Soompi,,, and i know its the least expected for me to tell my secrete to the world...

But either its better than crying all night and watching Hyun Bin Drama's all night long...its devastating!!!

at least i feal 5 pounds lighter (if only it were for real) :blush:

Guest shortround

i'm currently in the internet marketing business working with a company in the online gaming industry (poker/gambling, not WoW or those types of games). i'm still fairly new to the company, but i'm loving it so far.

Guest watcher

Hi y'all...

Im turning 24 later this year and age really creaps the hell out of me...!!! :sweatingbullets:

I already have an honours degree and still havent try out to find a job. :unsure::unsure:

frankly i want to be a singer (i know this sounds a bit daunting but i do have the gift to sing...seriously!!!) and secondly be someone in the food industries...However my parents isnt that smitten about me singing.

But that isnt the real issue, even though i seriously do have the face to bring out a crowd but its just that i got plump up within the last two years after some family problems (which i do not dare to reveal)...sorry...and a scar on my face that cannot seam to be removed...

The thing is im scared that if i let go this dream of mine i might also regret leaving my 23+ years of holding on to it... Along those years i have wrote and discovered really good melody for my songs...everything i do or hear is just in the notion to make up for my passion...

I dont know how people would be reply to this post but at least i hope to find somebody who may understand or if im lucky someone who can help me sort these things out...

Anyway this is my first time posting in Soompi,,, and i know its the least expected for me to tell my secrete to the world...

But either its better than crying all night and watching Hyun Bin Drama's all night long...its devastating!!!

what have you done to actualize your dream thus far? have you gone out to talent shows? have you been to any of the tryouts? do you exercise and/or work on your personal image? singing well and composing/writing music are great. but just doing that is like having money but stashing it under your bed for the rest of your life. do something with it and see what you can do.

keep a backup plan to make sure you can take care of yourself if plan A fails, but start to take small steps and have something to show. in most cases, having a dream and talent is simply not enough. you need ambition and determination.

I agree with watcher, do you have any credible results that will propel you into stardom? Hell even winning local talent shows doesn't guarantee you anything, only national ones give you a chance. Also, do you have the finance to back yourself up whenever things are down.

Set your short term and long term goals. Ensure that they are achievable within the given time frame.

I'm not sure if this really belongs in the jobs thread, but I don't think it does.

I graduated in 2004 with a BBA in accounting. My GPA sucked because I wasn't mature enough to buckle down and succeed even though I hated every bit of accounting. In my house if you don't get a scholarship, you pay your own tuition and if you want to stay under that roof you had better pick a practical degree.

Long story short, I am really tired of accounting. I am actually doing ok in my field, but it just isn't for me. I want to go back to school for a degree in English Lit or Journalism. Unfortunately with my GPA, I won't be able to get into any noteworthy schools.

I am trying to decide between getting another affordable bachelor's degree in English through the City University of NY (most likely Hunter or City College) to improve my GPA before applying for a Masters degree or just taking the GRE and going for a Masters Program directly.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What choice do you think is best and why.

If I'm honest, I want the glory of an ivy league, because I know that I am capable of getting excellent grades. My grades in college were a reflection of immaturity and stubborness rather than inability to excel. I was on the Dean's list for the first year and a half and then I sorta stopped going to the accounting classes I didn't like to sit in on the English classes I did like (so I failed a lot of courses by getting dropped due to attendance)...and to do my fair share of college partying. Once I reconciled to getting the degree in accounting at the end, my grades spiked back up to As and Bs.

I know it will be a dramatic drop in income to change careers at 26 and go into a new field (I would like to be a teacher and free lance as a journalist), but I think I can save up enough of a nest egg to take the hit especially since I will be out of debt completely this year.

Any insight is welcome.

I can't answer your questions.

I just wanted to say good luck and that I admire your willingness

to stray from "security" to pursue your dreams.

I can relate although I haven't truly started a career path yet.

I graduated a few months ago with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering.

But I just don't see myself as an engineer.

I think it's great that you have the passion to change. IMO 26 is still relatively young, and a career change at that age isn't so impractical. To love one's work is very important so I wish you all the best in your endeavors. I have a friend who was a lawyer, who then realized that he didn't enjoy it too much, decided to go back to school (undergrad), from there he got into med school, and is now in his first-year residency.

If you're planning to free-lance, is a degree really required? If you're thinking of doing that on the side while teaching, then maybe you only have to go do your teachers college? Sorry if I'm missing something here.

Hi y'all...

If singing is what you want to do, then its not like you really have a choice. By this I mean that you can't simply give up without having regrets later on. But I'm confused. Do you want to be a musician, lets say, along the lines of Jodie Mitchell and become a singer-songwriter? Or you'd like to be an asian popstar? I think the route you take for the two are completely different. Successful singer-songwriters have genuine talent, especially when it comes to portraying themselves with a distinct singing style of their own. They obviously need to to compose their music and can usually play an instrument. Jodie is a wicked guitarist, Patricia Barber has a certain moodiness in her voice and can play the piano, Patti Griffin can seriously sing and play the guitar. But unless you're uber-talented, being a singer-songwriter will never put you into rockstar status, but you can still do shows in small venues all over the world and grow a small- but appreciative- fanbase. You don't have to win any talent shows to become a musician. But you do need dedication, along with experience to finely tune your craft.

On the other hand, if you want to be a pop-star, I think your physical appearance will determine your success. So if you're uber goodlooking and can sing, all you need is a lot of luck to get noticed.

Guest bluelily

I think this falls under interviewing. Networking at graphic design events. I've done a little bit of it, but I don't know how I should start off a conversation. Their is a right way and a wrong way. Done them all. Any tips for me.

Guest meow1203

Hi all, I have some interview questions....

I currently work as a sales support person in a bank and last year our department was bought by another bank. I planned to move over to the new bank around Feb or Mar 08 but the new bank's business isn't going so well so they laid me off. Luckily my old bank is willing to let me stay and I just found a new position within my old bank. (The new position is also sales support wise but it's on the brokerage side) I just had a phone interview with the recruiter and I expect to have a face-to-face interview with the sales manager next week. Now I have a few questions...

1. When the recruiter asked me why I want to change my job, I just told her the typical answer (I want to gain exp, learn sth new, blah blah blah). However, during the face-to-face interview, should I tell the sales manager the same thing or I should be honest? (Tell him that I got laid off that's why I need to find a new job)

2. My current salary is wayyyy higher than the new position offered (when I signed the contract with the new bank, they offered me a very decent salary and they've been paying my old bank to pay me for that amount, or else my original salary is approx. the same as the new position), I'm willing to have a cut on my salary if they hire me but how should I explain to the sales manager if he asked me why I'm willing to do that?

Please share your thoughts, thanks!

Archived