Official 20+ Jobs Thread

Aziraphale

Guest 709394

I'm in a dilemma...

I currently work as a 'marketing assistant' although what I do is hardly real-world marketing. Basically, I do 'marketing' for an engineering firm. I got this job kind of by luck I think because they were firing someone before me who was incompetent. Anyhow. I'm an Econ major, and pretty confused what I wanted to do...but I think I've narrowed it back down to accounting or finance. I've taken a few accounting courses and no finance. I don't have any internships/experience in this field (yes...I really played around during my undergrad years -_- and its biting me back in the richard simmons)

Anyhow...my dilemma...I'm bored as hell at my job. My coworkers are all...old enough to be my dad/grandpa...and I Just graduated...not to mention that my position is really...exclusive. I'm the only "marketing person" and I basically...do...almost nothing on an everyday basis. I'm not kidding- the engineers are too busy to really care about what I do right now, they come to me once in a while to give me some of their bytch work, basically. I'm not learning much and there is no room for growth, I don't think.

okay...so on a typical "busy day" of my job...would be, an engineer comes to me with a 'rush project.' Like, they basically need forms filled out and is too busy to do it themselves, so they give it to me. So I'm "marketing" by putting together forms...I think they shouldn't call this position marketing, more like...coordinator or something. Anyhow, so I'll be scrambling around the office (more like emailing), nagging people to give me their updated resumes or whatnot. And get it all done by the end of the day. Usually I have much time to spare. This is on a 'busy day' and so far, busy days come...i dont knoe, once every 2 weeks?

On every other day? I literally, literally surf the web for 6 hours. I guess I could do something productive but...you see, this position...i cant really do anything without getting an engineer to write something up. Its a very co-dependent position, because i'm not an engineer myself.

So why wouldn't i Just find another job? If it was that easy I would have. RIght now, they are paying me wayyyyy more than what other entry-level marketing people do. Its kinda ridiculous what they pay me for what I do, thats one incentive. ANother incentive is that, i found out they could actully fund some of my schooling ...if i wanted to take accounting/finance classes, i could kind of work my way around and get them to pay for it. If i take it at the university extention, its $800/class so...u can see why its an incentive for me.

Next incentive, i dont have any experience, other then a econ degree and 2 classes in accounting, to find another job. I'd probably get an internship at most i guess.

So...my dilemma...my work satisfaction level right now is at a...very very low. I feel incredibly unchallenged, unproductive, not learning anything,...bored out of my MIND, not being able to meeet people my own age...not to mention, in my office, i'm the only female as well so...yep, you get my point. In terms of...job happiness, i'm pretty unhappy. In terms of benefits, this company gives me really good benefits.

What to do........stick with it? Wait it out? Gosh...i'm so lost...i want so bad to find another job , even if it pays less just so i can be happier with life...(ive been kinda depressed about not being able to meet new people and such)...but the benefits right now r too good...i dont feel i will find benefits as good in another place, if i were to quit right now...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Abnav

@ 709394 i suggest u keep an open mind, keep a look out at the job windows but dont decide hastily because they benifits are WAY too good, but u should be happy with what you are doing, so DO keep a look out for jobs...just dont take the first shitty job that comes along the way, maybe u can find some other way to make your time at the office more productive, i m not really good with advices but i think i could do better if i had an actual idea of your working scene but i dont, so erm...just consider my opinion, dont follow it without thinking hahah...

@ dharna84 - i always wanted to be a photographer, but its not a promising line so i chose to keep it as a hobby, however, i think you should have plans and backup plans...if u want to go ahead with singing do so...but dont depend on it totally, u need a fall back plan...

and now me..

just random talks

i work as a Modeler in Maya (interning)...i learnt 3D studio max, but now i m learning Maya, and i want to learn houdini, zbrush etc. xD.

work is boring in some way, but i have no idea how i end up with lunch time after reaching office and how soon its time for me to go home, and i stay at office until 18:00 or 18:30, sometimes even later...and its 6 days work...and ohw its a no salary job(interning duh!), but i m learning hell of a lot of things, so its totally worth it...BUT i do wish i had more personal time...

oh well, time to be an adult now i guess

Guest negitoro

I'm in a dilemma...

I think you should explore your job a little more. Don't get caught up with the idea that a job is necessarily just doing what they tell you to. If they're treating you well and you're in a stable position, you might actually be in a good position.

Since you're the only marketing person, it can be a good opportunity if you can take the initiative. Since you're a department of one and their current efforts seem minimal-to-none, anything you do is directly your achievement and a result of your work. And since you're pretty much alone, you have all sorts of leeway on what you can do and how you go about it.

Learning and growing with experience isn't all about doing work others give you over and over... learning can be self-directed and from doing and trying to do something new. The best part is that it sounds like they really don't have any expectations of what kind of marketing efforts you actually do so this means you're free to develop things on your own and even if you fail, no one will really care that much - an ideal situation to learn from your mistakes.

So maybe you just need to think less like someone needs to hand you your work and start making your own. If you think you have a good idea on what might be a good marketing approach, pitch to whoever's in charge. Ask for some resources for a task and go off and do it. If they're willing to let you pursue your ideas, you job might turn out to have a great entrepreneurship kind of spirit to it.

Guest watcher

I'm in a dilemma...

I currently work as a 'marketing assistant' although what I do is hardly real-world marketing. Basically, I do 'marketing' for an engineering firm. I got this job kind of by luck I think because they were firing someone before me who was incompetent. Anyhow. I'm an Econ major, and pretty confused what I wanted to do...but I think I've narrowed it back down to accounting or finance. I've taken a few accounting courses and no finance. I don't have any internships/experience in this field (yes...I really played around during my undergrad years -_- and its biting me back in the richard simmons)

Anyhow...my dilemma...I'm bored as hell at my job. My coworkers are all...old enough to be my dad/grandpa...and I Just graduated...not to mention that my position is really...exclusive. I'm the only "marketing person" and I basically...do...almost nothing on an everyday basis. I'm not kidding- the engineers are too busy to really care about what I do right now, they come to me once in a while to give me some of their bytch work, basically. I'm not learning much and there is no room for growth, I don't think.

okay...so on a typical "busy day" of my job...would be, an engineer comes to me with a 'rush project.' Like, they basically need forms filled out and is too busy to do it themselves, so they give it to me. So I'm "marketing" by putting together forms...I think they shouldn't call this position marketing, more like...coordinator or something. Anyhow, so I'll be scrambling around the office (more like emailing), nagging people to give me their updated resumes or whatnot. And get it all done by the end of the day. Usually I have much time to spare. This is on a 'busy day' and so far, busy days come...i dont knoe, once every 2 weeks?

On every other day? I literally, literally surf the web for 6 hours. I guess I could do something productive but...you see, this position...i cant really do anything without getting an engineer to write something up. Its a very co-dependent position, because i'm not an engineer myself.

So why wouldn't i Just find another job? If it was that easy I would have. RIght now, they are paying me wayyyyy more than what other entry-level marketing people do. Its kinda ridiculous what they pay me for what I do, thats one incentive. ANother incentive is that, i found out they could actully fund some of my schooling ...if i wanted to take accounting/finance classes, i could kind of work my way around and get them to pay for it. If i take it at the university extention, its $800/class so...u can see why its an incentive for me.

Next incentive, i dont have any experience, other then a econ degree and 2 classes in accounting, to find another job. I'd probably get an internship at most i guess.

So...my dilemma...my work satisfaction level right now is at a...very very low. I feel incredibly unchallenged, unproductive, not learning anything,...bored out of my MIND, not being able to meeet people my own age...not to mention, in my office, i'm the only female as well so...yep, you get my point. In terms of...job happiness, i'm pretty unhappy. In terms of benefits, this company gives me really good benefits.

What to do........stick with it? Wait it out? Gosh...i'm so lost...i want so bad to find another job , even if it pays less just so i can be happier with life...(ive been kinda depressed about not being able to meet new people and such)...but the benefits right now r too good...i dont feel i will find benefits as good in another place, if i were to quit right now...

for me, i wouldn't care about money as much as experience. money is great, but if you think long run, experience will pay out. ideally you want both, but when weighing options, money should come second unless you really need it, or if that money will go into investments that'll increase your income in other ways.

if i were in your situation, i would continue to try to find ways to do more within the company. there's always something you can do, though it may be hard to find. as a first step, talk to your boss or supervisors and ask if they need help with other things. or if there is anything they want you to look into to help progress the company forward. r&d is expensive in any company, but they'll get it for almost free by utilizing your free time.

if that doesn't work, do your own personal market research into your company [you even have the advantage of working in it!] and see what you can do to make your company even better. you might not get compensated for it, but the experience is invaluable. plus you got the time, and they pay you more than enough anyways.

if after a couple months it doesn't work out, start looking and jump ship if you find a good opportunity. i usually try to stay in a company for one year to show my next employer some continuity though. plus employers want to see experience on paper [even if it says little about the person]. so make the most of it. :)

I'm in a dilemma...

I think you need to suffer more. Until the misery of boredom trumps the cash, you wont' have an incentive to find another job. :P

Guest Happy_Day

Getting ready for my first interview for an internship, and I'm scared out of my mind. I think I'll totally embarass myself although I have been preparing like crazy. I think my mind will go completely blank. Has this ever happened to anyone?

If I was referred by a friend of the president of the company, do you think I'll get a more friendly/informal interview? Honest opinions please!

Guest bonjourjoan

*if posted already, MODS pls close...thank you ^-^*

Well, I'm a nurse and I'm 21 y/o...and I'm very curious

so I'm just wondering if there are some of you who had tried to go for Modeling as a

job/part-time jobe? 'coz I'm planning to try it out...not the high end fashion world but the

ones that is on TVs and print ads...

can u recommend anything?

I'm planning to have an appointment for a go-see next week at San Diego with an agency,

so any advise?

thank you

Guest thyun

Hey guys,

Lately, I've been feeling this pressure, may it be self-inflicted or not, to pursue the typical professions that Asian parents so highly regard: lawyers, medical doctors, bankers (maybe accountants), and engineers to list the commons ones. And when I go ask the Asian Americans around me, I feel that I am surrounded mostly by people that are pursuing these same exact professions. A lot are interested in pre-pharmacy, pre-dental, etc., and I feel pressured to do the same. Is this the reality? Are there no Asian Americans that just live a simple life, or just those that don't fit the Asian stereotype--studying hard and becoming wealthy. Do all Asian Americans really succeed and make good money? Am I really blinded? I am just curious as to what your experiences are because from what I have experienced, I am surrounded by ambitious people, that isn't to say that non-professional careers do not require ambition. Thanks!

Guest res0nate

TV really adds 10 lbs to your overall figure. You're off to a good start though by going to the agency, do you have a portfolio ready as well? Those come in handy.

My ex has done print and tv work, she enjoys it but puts up with some family pressure to choose more carefully since they don't like her posing half naked in magazine ads and such. Casting calls / auditions are a little tiring as well. Some commercials did require some cold readings though.

Guest bonjourjoan

what does this have to do with you being a nurse?

nothing...tht's why i'm asking because it's totally out of my scope

and i have no idea...@_@

TV really adds 10 lbs to your overall figure. You're off to a good start though by going to the agency, do you have a portfolio ready as well? Those come in handy.

My ex has done print and tv work, she enjoys it but puts up with some family pressure to choose more carefully since they don't like her posing half naked in magazine ads and such. Casting calls / auditions are a little tiring as well. Some commercials did require some cold readings though.

I don't have any portfolio yet, I'm hoping that the agency would help me

they called me twice already, i had to cancel the first one because of schedule

conflict, and hopefully i'll be able to go to the next one...that would be really

bothersome for them, and unprofessional of me...

so the lbs thing is true?..

Guest ANJEE<3

being a lawyer, doctor, engineer.. etcetc takes a lot of time and patience

if they didn't want to be one in the first place i'm sure they would have changed majors

either that or they are like my cousin and want the respect and prestige that comes with it

he's an electrical engineer and absolutely hates what he's doing because he saids it's so repetitive

he's 25 and he wants to do something else but doens't want more school and he doesn't know what he wants to do anyway

i think the whole asian parent wanting kids to be a professional is hyped and just a sterotype

all my friends are chinese practically.. and i have never heard of any of them being pushed to become a doctor or anything like that

i'm pursuing a career in health because i want to, not because my dad wanted me to.. well he just made me go to uni and that was it but yeah

not everyone will succeed even if they become a lawyer, doctor, engineer(my cousin has changed so many jobs because of lay offs and it's difficult to find a job these days anyway), accountant

it's highly competitive in all of these fields

there is no gurantee in this world

the only thing you can be certain of is DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE, STOP LISTENING TO YOUR PARENTS!

then even if you don't make good money.. atleast you're happy

Guest Happy_Day

My parents have never been like that, but they do want me to have a career that will make a lot of money. They wanted me to be an accountant, but when I couldn't handle a subject that I really hated - I bit down and told them I wanted to go into writing.. My dad isn't happy with it, but it's my life.. If I don't care about low wages, then does it matter?

It seems like most of the Asian Americans around me are doing what they want to do. Like I have a friend who really WANTS to be a doctor. And most Korean guys I know seem to go into business or economics, not medical or law or something like that.

Has anyone had any experience as a financial advisor? Can you tell me more about your experience? Have you heard of/worked for Ameriprise before?

I'm a senior in college and will be graduating in June. Let's just say so far, I've been taking my sweet time applying for a job. I'm still having difficulty deciding on my career. I've been thinking about banking and finance lately... thought about marketing, thought about real estate, thought about investment plans, and even considered starting my own business. Let's just say it's pretty bad... I want to do a lot of things and don't know what I want.

I did go to my university's career fair and Ameriprise financial was there. They informed me of the career overview at their office so I went to take a look. i ended up taking a test (math questions and a personality test). I went through their interviewing process and finished. It took 4 hours. It was my first interview process so I was simplying trying to get a feel of what its like. I was offered the job as a financial advisor. I'll be answering back to them when it is closer to my graduation.

There are a lot of questions raising in my head as I'm going through the interviewing process. I feel that it is more marketing/sales than it is financial services. There was even a call simulation exercise during the interviewing process as well as creating a marketing plan. I was told that my starting salary is between 40 to upper 60 thousand during my first year. I don't know how realistic that sounds. I'm sure it's possbile but not realistic. My guess was more of 30 including all the hard work put in. I guess it's not the right attitude while trying to get a job, but as much as I am trying to think optimistically, I'm also trying to be realistic and examine how much work I would have to put in to make X amount of money. I've done some research on Ameriprise online and they don't exactly have the best reputation. It is interesting that Businessweek has ranked it 19th for the best place to launch your career in 2006...and recently its #50 something for the best place to launch your career...so its a mix of good and bad.

I also have questions about negotiating your salary. How do you approach this subject? I didn't really negotiate for my first job interview since financial advisors are more about commission and a base salary so i didn't know if it's proper to negotiate. I feel silly for making this assumption though so does anyone know more about this?

Guest res0nate

Yeah, the lbs thing is true... well to an extent. If you get the right photog for your portfolio, s/he should help you out with your poses during the shoot because bad lighting and poses can add some weight to your features. Sure, casting agencies usually look at a few pictures, a head & full body shot, so a good portfolio gets you half way.

Guest towkekon

I've done a handful of ads and lot of print ads ... Trust me everyone expects you to kiss richard simmons , at least from my experience and when you don't , they are not happy with it. If you have the looks then they have no choice but to keep you, so don't worry about it. Some places they are really sweet. It depends , but one thing ...

YOUR WEIGHT AND YOUR BODY AND YOUR FACE WILL BE A CONSTANT TOPIC OF DISCUSSION , IF YOU DON'T LIKE BEING UNDER SCRUTINY , DON'T DO IT !

It gets to you after a while and you will see its not worth it ! but the dough is excellent ! :D

Guest bonjourjoan

I've done a handful of ads and lot of print ads ... Trust me everyone expects you to kiss richard simmons , at least from my experience and when you don't , they are not happy with it. If you have the looks then they have no choice but to keep you, so don't worry about it. Some places they are really sweet. It depends , but one thing ...

YOUR WEIGHT AND YOUR BODY AND YOUR FACE WILL BE A CONSTANT TOPIC OF DISCUSSION , IF YOU DON'T LIKE BEING UNDER SCRUTINY , DON'T DO IT !

It gets to you after a while and you will see its not worth it ! but the dough is excellent ! :D

you did?.. wow, so how did you got in?

I want to try it as i explore something that would fit me...

and hopefully i would love it too...

that is if i get casted...lol

thank you

Guest towkekon

you did?.. wow, so how did you got in?

I want to try it as i explore something that would fit me...

and hopefully i would love it too...

that is if i get casted...lol

thank you

The first one I got in was not that great ... it was for red bull , crappy storyboard and all , the direct liked to overdo things too ...

I got in 'coz the casting agent had come to one of my free elective classes to give a lecture and took down my details and gave me her card.

But after that it was really great. Yeah go ahead and try it, its an experience. The people you get to meet are great (at least the ones i met) and for guys there are other perks :blush:

The casting bit ... let me give you a 'lil piece of advice. Listen to what they say and don't do the exact same thing - IMPROVISE , add a little bit of your own touch to it but make sure you are confident about it and know what you are doing. Understand the storyboard - Make sure you have a mental picture of it in your head 'coz you will be doing it without any of the props and the other stuff , just you and the camera ... VISUALIZE ! :) This is if its a commercial , if its a print ad ... just look pretty and bust a move !

Guest bolly

hello everyone.. i need some advice

i already graduate last year.. and i didn't look for job..

i actually did this internship with my own father.. but no salary and of course is on-off basis

recently, i think this internship stuff did not work yet.. but i already promise him and i think it will over on august...

somehow, i just get idea i want to be in retail stuff.. like a store manager for gap, or f21 or just put it any retail cloth shop..

it is because i love fashion and i am also love thinking in business idea

so anyone who in here works as store manager or something equivalent..

and to make it worst.. i have degree in IT..

and if i apply for those fashion industries area.. will they label me as nerd or computer geek??

Archived