Quantcast
Aziraphale

Official 20+ Jobs Thread

Guest dunpingy

im accounting, maybe you can elaborate on what you heard. you can't really go wrong as a professional accountant, but theres a lot of 'staff accountants' positions floating around there and i guess those jobs indeed suck. if the salary is under $40,000 i would consider that a dead end accounting job. also, if u can finish both degrees in 4 years, then go for it but otherwise i dont think its worth it - after you land your first job all that time you put into undergrad pretty much becomes worthless.

Guest vietbabi

well for accounting i basically heard that they don't hire you unless you have experience and most of the times they will hire someone who doesn't have a degree so they can pay them less. also i'm not so sure how the salary goes.

Guest watcher

im accounting, maybe you can elaborate on what you heard. you can't really go wrong as a professional accountant, but theres a lot of 'staff accountants' positions floating around there and i guess those jobs indeed suck. if the salary is under $40,000 i would consider that a dead end accounting job. also, if u can finish both degrees in 4 years, then go for it but otherwise i dont think its worth it - after you land your first job all that time you put into undergrad pretty much becomes worthless.

i dont really see accounting as a 'cant go wrong' option for a career. many things can go wrong, especially if you plan on having a family of your own while still pursuing financial success. however, i see it as one of the best learning experiences on anyone's path to financial success, and quite a good career for the single-minded folks who plan to stay that way for a while while they find their success.

well for accounting i basically heard that they don't hire you unless you have experience and most of the times they will hire someone who doesn't have a degree so they can pay them less. also i'm not so sure how the salary goes.

not necessarily true. the big 4 recruit heavily from universities for most of their entry level positions. small to medium sized firms also are willing to take in people with minimal experience and train them. often times, pay will suck, but it gives people a chance to jump in, especially those that still need to be certified (take all 4 tests and get experience under their belt)

Guest blowmeupdoll

im a design/advertising major but i just recently got a job as an assistant buyer. ummmmmm my dreams root in design/art but i think learning the business/buying aspects could be helpful especially if i want to have my own company one day. what do you guys think?

Guest dunpingy

i dont really see accounting as a 'cant go wrong' option for a career. many things can go wrong, especially if you plan on having a family of your own while still pursuing financial success. however, i see it as one of the best learning experiences on anyone's path to financial success, and quite a good career for the single-minded folks who plan to stay that way for a while while they find their success.

hmm i was taking the viewpoint of someone coming straight out of college...yea travel in big4 sucks but theres always industry, which can sometimes pay better than public.

vietbabi: almost any company you would actually want to work for will require a degree. and yeah sometimes it is pretty cut-throat, i dont know what year you are in school but internships are important. i think relatively speaking though theres a very large demand for accountants and i don't see that changing in the future

Guest SongBird

Right now, my job cook/manager. I love food and I love to eat. Being surrounded by food makes the working part seem like I am not working at all. But it is true what they say that when you work in the culinary field you are basically married to the job. I am at work more than I am ever at home. I get eight hours of sleep in my bed and I am out the whole day only to return to my bed, I make good money for school and personal expenses so I have nothing to complain about. You meet a lot of people you don't miss out in your social life, but your best friends would eventually feel like they are they are being neglected and harass you with long long voice mail messages about not seeing you for a long long time.

Being surrounded by good food and making good money is great even though you work 10+ hours per day for a couple days during one week. But if you love what you do, it's like breathing.

But I'll be going back to full time school so I'll have to cut back with my job. As a career, I would like to work in the medical field in the future.

Guest Laxntiga

Right now, my job cook/manager. I love food and I love to eat. Being surrounded by food makes the working part seem like I am not working at all. But it is true what they say that when you work in the culinary field you are basically married to the job. I am at work more than I am ever at home. I get eight hours of sleep in my bed and I am out the whole day only to return to my bed, I make good money for school and personal expenses so I have nothing to complain about. You meet a lot of people you don't miss out in your social life, but your best friends would eventually feel like they are they are being neglected and harass you with long long voice mail messages about not seeing you for a long long time.

Being surrounded by good food and making good money is great even though you work 10+ hours per day for a couple days during one week. But if you love what you do, it's like breathing.

But I'll be going back to full time school so I'll have to cut back with my job. As a career, I would like to work in the medical field in the future.

I wish I found a job like you. Something I dont mind doing, that makes fair~good money. I probably wouldn't mind the pay so much because I love what I am doing. I like car's a lot and can talk about them all day. I was thinking something between car sales through professional racing, is there a happy median with a solid pay+room for growth?

I'm currently working as a graduate insolvency accountant in a small firm. This is my first fulltime role out of university, but I have to admit that I really don't like the work that i'm doing and the salary is really low as well. Most of the time I'm just preparing letters to be sent out to clients. Other times I would me on the phone for minutes on end trying to get banks to send me info, but due to high security, i cannot get the job done and so I have to call again:(.

I'm so sick of it and going to work makes me want to throw up. I'm thinking of quitting and considering temp jobs before I find a better job. Is this too drastic?...but i feel so desperate

How long have you been there? It's good to at least have something on your resume. Temp jobs are not exactly fun and you'd probably not earn more and you won't be getting any benefits. I think you should probably stay at your job while looking for something new.

Guest vietbabi

hmm i was taking the viewpoint of someone coming straight out of college...yea travel in big4 sucks but theres always industry, which can sometimes pay better than public.

vietbabi: almost any company you would actually want to work for will require a degree. and yeah sometimes it is pretty cut-throat, i dont know what year you are in school but internships are important. i think relatively speaking though theres a very large demand for accountants and i don't see that changing in the future

i'm in 2nd year and i was planning to do an internship to gain experience but I just wasn't sure if accounting was a good thing to do if the salary is not that great and it is better to do something else. Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll look for an internship first and see how that goes.

Guest Laxntiga

I'll keep the story short.

I dont like my job, I like the atmosphere less, there isn't much room for growth (getting promoted & higher pay).

I fantasize about quitting my job, but afterwards I feel sh**ty, dirty, ashamed, angry at myself. How do I get myself out of this vicious cycle?

Guest watcher

i'm in 2nd year and i was planning to do an internship to gain experience but I just wasn't sure if accounting was a good thing to do if the salary is not that great and it is better to do something else. Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll look for an internship first and see how that goes.

i think accounting is useful, plus there's a lot of room to move up in the field. however, if you want better overall pay without the corporate politics to move up in that industry, i'd say go into health care. people are living longer nowadays, and will continue to keep living longer. plus, now is one of the best times to jump in. they're in bigger demand than accountants.

Guest dunpingy

personally i think the salary is great..

hmm i did accounting and im making 60k+ first year out of school haha x__x

not ibanking type salaries but can't complain

I'm planning on pursueing both a degree in accounting and risk managment but I'm still deciding whether or not to switch it to something else. I know for sure I want 2 degrees. I heard alot of mix of thoughts on accounting and not sure what to think right now. Any thoughts on accounting or risk managment as a career?

Accounting is like any other major industry. i.e. There are plenty of graduates, but only a small handful are knowledgeable. If you study hard, buckle down and work hard, you'll be succeed.

Btw my mother is the finance manager for a major international airline. She is doing quite well.

I wish I found a job like you. Something I dont mind doing, that makes fair~good money. I probably wouldn't mind the pay so much because I love what I am doing. I like car's a lot and can talk about them all day. I was thinking something between car sales through professional racing, is there a happy median with a solid pay+room for growth?

Car sales through professional racing? There's plenty of people like you, who like performance cars as a hobby. You can start looking at being a mechanic or car yard sales or car design and working your way up the ranks so that you'll eventually be in development or marketing.

Guest vietbabi

personally i think the salary is great..

hmm i did accounting and im making 60k+ first year out of school haha x__x

not ibanking type salaries but can't complain

is that with just a bachelors? and are you working for a big company? some peoples that i know are only getting around 45k-52k first year out of school.

Guest dunpingy

bachelor and master in accounting make same salary starting out because everyone has to pass CPA anyways..

it depends on the city you live in, i live in chicago so salary is a little more competitive because companies want the best students. public accounting will earn you at least 57 base with several thousand in signing bonus money. i work in industry, at a large hedge fund.

i think most cities for public accounting its between 50-55k but the cost of living is also probably a lot lower.

im doing temp work as a receptionist at a collision repair shop. my friend went back to school and since i have free time before i leave to go study abroad next month i took the job... its not the best paying job, but the co-workers and everyone is good to work with. i get paid $1500 salary plus a bonus each month!

Guest watcher

bachelor and master in accounting make same salary starting out because everyone has to pass CPA anyways..

it depends on the city you live in, i live in chicago so salary is a little more competitive because companies want the best students. public accounting will earn you at least 57 base with several thousand in signing bonus money. i work in industry, at a large hedge fund.

i think most cities for public accounting its between 50-55k but the cost of living is also probably a lot lower.

i think that's inflated. in los angeles, the majority for entry level accounting earn in the 40~50K range. from the looks of the base salary + signing bonus, i'd say that you've reaped the benefits of that many people in finance receive, and not so much accounting in general.

Guest dunpingy

its not inflated because most of my accounting friends and classmates have signed so i know what their offers are like, no one i know makes less than 55k

take a look at this thread, theres a wide range of locations and their entry level offer salaries

http://199.236.122.106/forum/forum_posts.a...1&KW=salary

for some reason im under the impression that under 50k is extremely rare, but i suppose it is more common in some industry positions.

anyways, theres nothing an entry level analyst with a finance degree can do that an accounting major can't, but it doesn't work the other way. that part of the basis for my original arguement of why accounting is the foolproof way to go.

edit: ok i did more digging, and heres a guy making 44k in LA -

http://199.236.122.106/forum/forum_posts.a...4&KW=salary

except that position is not really ideal

Guest watcher

its not inflated because most of my accounting friends and classmates have signed so i know what their offers are like, no one i know makes less than 55k

take a look at this thread, theres a wide range of locations and their entry level offer salaries

http://199.236.122.106/forum/forum_posts.a...1&KW=salary

for some reason im under the impression that under 50k is extremely rare, but i suppose it is more common in some industry positions.

anyways, theres nothing an entry level analyst with a finance degree can do that an accounting major can't, but it doesn't work the other way. that part of the basis for my original arguement of why accounting is the foolproof way to go.

edit: ok i did more digging, and heres a guy making 44k in LA -

http://199.236.122.106/forum/forum_posts.a...4&KW=salary

except that position is not really ideal

if you do well, you can reach those numbers (and the opportunities are there if you can take advantage of it), but if we're talking about the average opportunity, i'd say most will end up in the upper 40's to lower 50's in metropolitan areas. low to mid 40's in the smaller cities.

also, in a thread where people talk about their salaries, you'd figure people with higher salaries will post up more, while those with less would rather back down.

Guest knickstorm

got a question for you guys, kinda vague but bear with me

so i get a call from a friend who says he just got a job and wants me to talk to his manager for a sec........the manager tells me he works as part of Citi group.....his job is to basically recruit people for jobs within the company.....

my friend said the guy called him after another friend referred him.......and then he later called me.........long story short, he says when's officially hired, he'll make calls to get people to come in, and those people are supposed to call others etc etc........and he's supposed to be making money even if it's his friends friends referral etc..........now i thought it was supposed to be another one of those pyramid schemes......but they're not selling anything, plus supposed to be part of Citi.......

i know it's fishy and want nothing to do with it, but he wants me to show up and meet his boss so at least his boss knows he's trying..........any idea what this is all about? know the details are vague, but thanks for any help.