Official 20+ Jobs Thread

Aziraphale

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kel-273

i know most asians probably dont have jobs in the environmental (green) sector, but might give it a try if you guys are or know anybody thats an environmental biologist, or if you know the outlooks for this type of career? thanks

Guest Sweetraindrops

What are some jobs that give you health and dental benefits? Basically jobs for a college student such as myself?

Guest iklee0412

Hey soompi.

On 5/23/08 there will be a small OB Golf Tournament in the area of orange county.

We are in need of 2 (Age must be at least 21) students, free lancers. To make quick cash, some kimchee, and a box of OB (Korean beer).

If you are free this friday. Want to make quick cash.

Please let me know.

(Time will be from 10Am - 4Pm)

-Thanks soompi!

Guest 709394

Is anyone working in the financial world?

I'm trying to transition into it right now.

I graduated college a year ago with an Econ degree from a pretty decent university. But thats about it.

I basically screwed up in college, didnt bother to really have a goal, and have a crap gpa.

I'm currently doing marketing right now but I think I'm pretty set on going back towards finance/accounting.

By the end of this year, I hope to have 4 finance classes under my belt (I've only taken financial and managerial accounting).

So my question is, has anyone successfully transitioned into business world?

I really, really want to land an internship for a big firm doing start off new...I was looking into Deutsch Bank because i know they offer internships and entry-level positions. However, those are geared towards students and not professionals like myself.

My best bet would probably be going into b-school but like I said...my gpa is crap, and i have no business (other than my meager "marketing" but even then it really isn't "marketing", more like coordinating).

Do people even give out internships to post-grads? Sigh...i dont know what to do -_- I'm trying to take some berkeley-extension courses because supposedly , i would imagine them to be more "worthwhile" and they offer a finance certificate (does it even mean anything?!)...but that will take a year to complete. Not to mention, these xtension classes are 10x more expensive than JC courses (compare 70 to 700!)

Guest watcher

Is anyone working in the financial world?

I graduated college a year ago with an Econ degree from a pretty decent university. But thats about it.

I basically screwed up in college, didnt bother to really have a goal, and have a crap gpa.

I'm currently doing marketing right now but I think I'm pretty set on going back towards finance/accounting.

By the end of this year, I hope to have 4 finance classes under my belt (I've only taken financial and managerial accounting).

I really, really want to land an internship for a big firm doing start off new...I was looking into Deutsch Bank because i know they offer internships and entry-level positions. However, those are geared towards students and not professionals like myself.

My best bet would probably be going into b-school but like I said...my gpa is crap, and i have no business (other than my meager "marketing" but even then it really isn't "marketing", more like coordinating).

Do people even give out internships to post-grads? Sigh...i dont know what to do -_- I'm trying to take some berkeley-extension courses because supposedly , i would imagine them to be more "worthwhile" and they offer a finance certificate (does it even mean anything?!)...but that will take a year to complete. Not to mention, these xtension classes are 10x more expensive than JC courses (compare 70 to 700!)

i don't know about finance, but one of my good friends was a bio major, and graduated with a BS in bio. she eventually switched to accounting and took the cpa tests while working at a small firm. she eventually got her CPA license and is now doing audit work internally at a large company. it's hard breaking into the huge firms, but she's planning on moving up and gaining experience in medium sized firms, or work internally in large corporations before giving the huge firms a try.

i don't know how far school prestige will get you unless you go to graduate school and get the degree, but experience does eventually count for a lot as long as you learn the right things.

Guest kaizenx

i know most asians probably dont have jobs in the environmental (green) sector, but might give it a try if you guys are or know anybody thats an environmental biologist, or if you know the outlooks for this type of career? thanks

where are you located? I believe that the Pembina Institute is always recruiting. I'm not sure if they are an international organization but they have a strong presence in Alberta, Canada ( where much of the oil and gas development is going on ). I talked to one of the members on the board at a sustainable development conference and to summarize the conversation (because I can't remember the rest, this was a while ago), the outlooks for this career type will be good so long as there is oil and gas development.

Personally I think there is certainly room for development in this field, at least in Canada. There's 3 things I can think of that the environmentalist can play a long term role in

1. pipeline development

2. production of coal bed methane in the prairie provinces (treatment of saline water and effects)

3. artic production and deep basin drilling

Guest JinxFairy

Not sure if this has been discussed yet but I want to work as a Cordi (not sure if I spelled that right >D) to an artist doing their makeup. How do I get into that. And if I cant do that I want to somehow get into the Korean Music Industry as a manager or even working for a Record Label in Korea such as JYP, SM TOWN, or Pfull or something. Im already a music business student and self studying Korean and Japanese. Also Im not asian, im Spanish will that make it harder for me to go ahead and get a job in this field in Korea? Im thinking of starting my connections and work here in the US and then go into the kmusic scene. Anyone here can offer any help? Thanks in advance. ^^

To put it lightly, green technology is HUGE. Huge as in, alternative energy tech (along with biotech) will be in the forefront of technological advances for the next decade. I think it's a pretty safe bet to assume that climate change and global warming will become a greater concern in the foreseeable future, and that new methods and developments in reducing carbon emissions will require an immediacy in execution. Lots of venture capital is flowing into green-tech startups so it's a dynamic industry to watch.

s anyone working in the financial world?

Do people even give out internships to post-grads? Sigh...i dont know what to do sleep.gif I'm trying to take some berkeley-extension courses because supposedly , i would imagine them to be more "worthwhile" and they offer a finance certificate (does it even mean anything?!)...but that will take a year to complete. Not to mention, these xtension classes are 10x more expensive than JC courses (compare 70 to 700!)

MBA is arguably the easiest route to take for career change. But crappy GPA with crappy work exp will hurt your chances to get into the top ones (Wharton and Chicago)...If you want to do accounting, business school is a waste. You can just take nightschool/correspondence courses to get your credits and do your CPA. Get into a small firm, get your work exp..from there it's pretty easy to jump ship to a bigger firm.

You can also do your CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst Designation). CFA is pretty much mandatory now days if you want to be in finance. And a CPA/CFA is a pretty sick combo.

Guest snubcap

how do you react to people who always say "nurses make so much money". Or I always get this "you can afford that comeon thats like a day's salary" Seriously i don't know how to respond to these comments or remarks. People don't seem to realize that I too have bills to pay and can barely save alittle per month. I am a recent new grad and very young. I mean I am single so automatically i get 30% taken out. I take home on average 3,200 net a month. I pay a thousand towards rent (to live at home to help out my parents), one thousand in student loans (have 70K total). That only leaves me with a thousand two hundred. That has to include bills, insurance, and savings towards a downpayment towards a car because our family car is breaking down. Really I can honestly say I don't save at all per month unless you count the savings towards the car, which isn't even very much you can do the math i'm sure. People don't understand that i've had to work my way to where i am now and even now i earn every freakin cent i get, very little of which is actually spent on myself for leisure. How do you guys deal with this, I always feel like an a$$ho*l^% for saying things like "oh I'll have to say up for that" because i feel like people look at me and are like "what does she know about a tight budget". when i say I have college loans, they say "yeah but everyone has college loans". WELL NOT 70K WORTH YOU DONT! Or ppl say "well you can give your parents less". Well, I don't think they could manage on less. So yes there is nothing I can say because its all a choice I make, but just because its a choice doesn't mean its any less necessary. Advice on how to graciously offset these comments or situations?

Guest HERMIT

Well, I just basically say the same kind of thing as you do. What else is there to say other than the truth and just leaving it at that? We all have our own financial circumstances and obligations to attend to, so if somebody else is going to be that presumptuous as to how you should handle your money, that's their problem. They don't know what it's like to be in your shoes.

Guest GO!zilla

just smile it off or be like "yaaaaaaaa paying off my college loans is a pain in the richard simmons."

or be like "i don't really make much... ___insert excuse here___" (your real reasons are good enough)

plus, i don't think it's really any of their business where your money is going so

don't be too polite. telling them once should be enough, the second time around

you can over react so they can get the point :)

Guest watcher

i currently work as a software engineer, a few years off from senior level and probably a few more on top of that before having enough experience to act as CTO in a small to medium sized tech company. lately, i've been becoming more interested in setting up business strategy for the software that i build than actually building the software. however, with my current standing, i'm an engineer before i'm a businessman, and most business decisions are made by our CEO and product management. it would be a very similar situation if i jumped onto other opportunities within my field. as a result, i was wondering if i could bounce a few ideas off of you guys to see what a good course of action might be.

in most cases, the type of work i'm most interested in is usually a role played by senior management, which requires either starting my own business or climbing up the corporate ladder high enough to be granted such responsibilities. at my current pace, i don't think this will be a reality until i'm well into my 30's and assuming i don't get pinned into the role of managing technology only. I'm considering other alternatives, such as starting over in a hybrid role at another company [though very few exist, if any] or going back to grad school for a degree in business.

my fall back plan is to just keep going as i was within my field, and become a senior level engineer. however, it's slowly become my goal to get into corporate strategy. if there's anyone out there that can provide a few ideas, i'd appreciate it.

Guest nymph

Don't react bitterly, you will always come across ignorant people like that, just shake it off.

These people are not worth your time.

Well that's kinda harsh to label them as "ignorant". I'm one of those people that say "nurses make so much money" whenever the topic comes up in a conversation. That's because RN's make like $45+++ an hour (in the bay area) and you don't have to have a Bachelor's degree. What is so ignorant about thinking nurses making a lot of money?? =/ It's a lot compared to some other careers

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone is working in nutrition related fields and what are your experiences with it

i currently work as a software engineer, a few years off from senior level and probably a few more on top of that before having enough experience to act as CTO in a small to medium sized tech company. lately, i've been becoming more interested in setting up business strategy for the software that i build than actually building the software. however, with my current standing, i'm an engineer before i'm a businessman, and most business decisions are made by our CEO and product management. it would be a very similar situation if i jumped onto other opportunities within my field. as a result, i was wondering if i could bounce a few ideas off of you guys to see what a good course of action might be.

in most cases, the type of work i'm most interested in is usually a role played by senior management, which requires either starting my own business or climbing up the corporate ladder high enough to be granted such responsibilities. at my current pace, i don't think this will be a reality until i'm well into my 30's and assuming i don't get pinned into the role of managing technology only. I'm considering other alternatives, such as starting over in a hybrid role at another company [though very few exist, if any] or going back to grad school for a degree in business.

my fall back plan is to just keep going as i was within my field, and become a senior level engineer. however, it's slowly become my goal to get into corporate strategy. if there's anyone out there that can provide a few ideas, i'd appreciate it.

Front office makes the news, mid office writes the news, back office delivers the papers: the tried and true method to entering business development/corporate strategy is to gain experience in a front office role. Maybe you can try switching from product development (cost center) to sales (revenue), assuming your employer is a software company, do your MBA, do a few years of consulting and finally make the jump into the corner office of a tech firm. I think MBA is pretty important if you really want to climb the corporate ladder and in terms of requisite work experience to get into management, nothing beats strategy consulting at a blue chip firm. Mckinsey is a breeding ground for future executives.

Guest watcher

Front office makes the news, mid office writes the news, back office delivers the papers: the tried and true method to entering business development/corporate strategy is to gain experience in a front office role. Maybe you can try switching from product development (cost center) to sales (revenue), assuming your employer is a software company, do your MBA, do a few years of consulting and finally make the jump into the corner office of a tech firm. I think MBA is pretty important if you really want to climb the corporate ladder and in terms of requisite work experience to get into management, nothing beats strategy consulting at a blue chip firm. Mckinsey is a breeding ground for future executives.

i work at a startup, so expanding into sales is a bit of a stretch. i get expanded roles within engineering, but the business side has its own team, and they do pretty well. most tech companies will give you the cold shoulder once you mention MBA. i lost a position at symantec that way. haha

from my own experience, it just seems that making a statement for getting an MBA is on par with crippling yourself, unless the company needs someone who has backgrounds in both business and engineering. i find these type of opportunities harder to find than expected. i missed my perfect chance at toyota financial a few years back, but i totally failed their engineering test.

in any case, i totally agree with you on consulting at a blue chip. there's so much to learn from it! and mckinsey... wow.. i'd love to get into a firm like that. the boast a wide array of talented and intelligent people from various industries. meeting their staff would be a most humbling encounter.

you know what though? now that i think about it... i could never be a strategy consultant if i can't even figure out my way to get there from where i am right now in my career. hehe... i guess i'll use this as an opportunity to see what i'm made of. of course, this is not meant to say i don't need advice. i still find any advice as helpful. i gotta make the most of everything i have, even help from others.

i work at a startup, so expanding into sales is a bit of a stretch. i get expanded roles within engineering, but the business side has its own team, and they do pretty well. most tech companies will give you the cold shoulder once you mention MBA. i lost a position at symantec that way. haha

from my own experience, it just seems that making a statement for getting an MBA is on par with crippling yourself, unless the company needs someone who has backgrounds in both business and engineering. i find these type of opportunities harder to find than expected. i missed my perfect chance at toyota financial a few years back, but i totally failed their engineering test.

in any case, i totally agree with you on consulting at a blue chip. there's so much to learn from it! and mckinsey... wow.. i'd love to get into a firm like that. the boast a wide array of talented and intelligent people from various industries. meeting their staff would be a most humbling encounter.

you know what though? now that i think about it... i could never be a strategy consultant if i can't even figure out my way to get there from where i am right now in my career. hehe... i guess i'll use this as an opportunity to see what i'm made of. of course, this is not meant to say i don't need advice. i still find any advice as helpful. i gotta make the most of everything i have, even help from others.

The reason I mentioned a sales role is because 1) you become client focused, which is required in any strategy role, and 2) your evaluation is based on profit/loss statement, which is pretty much the most objective measure if there is one. There is no such thing as "A" for effort in this role, as your performance is based purely on results. This is even more important for minorities and females. And don't underestimate the value of an MBA. I would say it's a waste of time/money to go to mediocre school, but if you get into a top 10, it'll be worth every penny. What you learn there is questionable, but the opportunties you receive in terms of alumni network and networks in your classes is second to none. The job opportunities offered by career services is also something you can't discount. Working at Bain/Mckinsey/BCG doesn't necessarily have to be a pipe dream. I think one factor that is truly required to get to the executive suite is that support group of influential mentors (in your firm and in the industry) who genuinely have a vested interest in your professional success. Managing these relationships is no easy task, especially for an asian. Just make sure you're not in a role where you're flying under the radar and nobody notices you.

In any case, career growth is something that must be managed proactively. I'm not sure how long you worked at your current employer, but a job change may not be a bad idea either. Once you stop learning, you're wasting your time.

Guest watcher

The reason I mentioned a sales role is because 1) you become client focused, which is required in any strategy role, and 2) your evaluation is based on profit/loss statement, which is pretty much the most objective measure if there is one. There is no such thing as "A" for effort in this role, as your performance is based purely on results. This is even more important for minorities and females. And don't underestimate the value of an MBA. I would say it's a waste of time/money to go to mediocre school, but if you get into a top 10, it'll be worth every penny. What you learn there is questionable, but the opportunties you receive in terms of alumni network and networks in your classes is second to none. The job opportunities offered by career services is also something you can't discount. Working at Bain/Mckinsey/BCG doesn't necessarily have to be a pipe dream. I think one factor that is truly required to get to the executive suite is that support group of influential mentors (in your firm and in the industry) who genuinely have a vested interest in your professional success. Managing these relationships is no easy task, especially for an asian. Just make sure you're not in a role where you're flying under the radar and nobody notices you.

In any case, career growth is something that must be managed proactively. I'm not sure how long you worked at your current employer, but a job change may not be a bad idea either. Once you stop learning, you're wasting your time.

only been a year. i'm planning to stick around as i'm still learning [on the tech side] and it will help me grow within my field. plus, it takes a little bit of time to get all my options fully vested. also, i would love to take a sales role, but i comprise 1/3 of the entire engineering team. any time put into sales would slow down product development greatly, and therefore the CEO would disagree with the idea of it. not only that, but the sales team are guys who already have connections to a whole array of potential clients. in other words, the current situation is unfavorable for me to switch roles.

i totally agree with acquiring an MBA at a top institution. the networking will pay off tenfold if not a hundredfold. i just mentioned an MBA crippling in context of mentioning your intent for one in front of your employer, especially if its a tech company.

anyways... know of any good places to establish a solid network outside of work?

Archived