[Drama 2024] The Queen of Tears / 눈물의 여왕 - Kim Soo Hyun, Kim Ji Won

Maetawinz

HI’s cancer has worsened, she has started to hallucinate. She couldn’t tell that the guy she was with was not HW but YES. But HW came to the rescue and seeing the two of them made her realised that she was not with HW.

I love HW’s merc. Looks like an AMG model, and Boemja’s red car!! :heart3:

The mother was  moaning regrets as expected, really it was too pat, she had ignored and rejected her daughter for 20 years. I hope they will show her slipping into her old ways on and off in the coming episodes. She does deserve some pay back. 

The grandfather might have been abused because he was in a state of confusion after becoming conscious from the drug Moh gave him. Perhaps he is smarter than being  the duped old man only, but stealing 900 billion won ( about 900 million USD) from the company? Definitely, prison stay is in the cards.

A happy ending for the couple seems remote by real life reasoning, but I hope the kdrama gods have a successful treatment. :unsure:

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 12:26 PM, Dinu M said:

In ep.10, when BHW confronts HHI about Eun Sung visiting her and her keeping it from him she mentions something interesting.

He says: "Is this the time for you to worry about me?" (아,뭐,지금내걱정할때야?)

She replies: "You said you didn't want to worry about me as well [on top of the other big problems you have right now](당신도내걱정까지하고싶지않다며). I as well [don't want to worry about what's going to happen to you]" (나도그래서그래)

She is referencing to their conversation from ep.9 where BHW tells her he has so many things to worry about and he wants to keep her safe just so that he has one thing less to worry about. While it sounds caring, to him keeping her safe was just another problem. It is not exactly cold. But when HHI says the same thing it comes across as cold. Only that HHI uses his own words against him and says it with a cold tone.

However, her actions towards the end of the episode showed something else. For her, his well-being WAS the only thing that she cared about. She said she didn't want to worry about him too. But instead she showed she doesn't worry about anything else.

Interesting that this brief exchange stayed in my mind too, though maybe for a different reason.

Somehow the Netflix translation didn't feel quite right to me.  I generally listen to the Korean, but some subs catch my eye sometimes like this did.  "The same goes for me" was the Netflix translation of what she said.  That was okay, but it perhaps lost a little nuance in what she said.  What she actually said meant "I as well, for the same reason" (나도 그래서 그래).  Had she said the usual 나도 그래, that would be a straight "me too".  Maybe this was why it did not came across as too cold to me. Rather it felt like she was deliberately acting cold. Even hinting that she knew he was also deliberately saying something (in Ep 9) that he didn't exactly mean.  The extra 그래서 ("for that reason", "the same way") in what she said was probably why I felt that way.

By the way, welcome to Soompi and this thread.  Please post more comments.  This drama is great and deserves more comments and discussions!

On 4/13/2024 at 1:27 AM, maribella said:

It’s been many shows I have watched since the ML cried so much. In those days of Stairways to Heaven, Winter Sonata, it was quite a bit. It had startled me being new to kdrama then.  HW is quite good at it. Although I like the funny moments better. His friends while loyal to him were very pragmatic people. His divorce lawyer didn’t have a chance against Vincenzo. I didn’t watch that show so was rather taken aback to see Korean Mafia but referencing Italy.

Vincenzo was at first part of Italian mafia in that earlier drama, so they were mixing it in.  That scene was quite funny though people who had not watched the other drama might find it all odd and wonder what the big deal with the lawyer was...  

You are right, I also have not seen any drama where the male lead cries so much.  Maybe the "queen of tears" is actually the male lead.  They should have called it "King of tears" !

• LOL 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 11! :).

20240414014402_Kim-Soo-Hyun-Kim-Ji-Won.j

"Queen Of Tears" Earns Its Highest Saturday Ratings Yet

tvN’s “Queen of Tears” remains as popular as ever!

On April 12, the hit romance drama achieved its highest viewership ratings to date for a Saturday (when its ratings are typically lower compared to Sundays). According to Nielsen Korea, the latest episode of “Queen of Tears” took first place in its time slot with an average nationwide rating of 16.8 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1654691wpp/queen-of-tears-earns-its-highest-saturday-ratings-yet

4 hours ago, jayakris said:

Interesting that this brief exchange stayed in my mind too, though maybe for a different reason.

Somehow the Netflix translation didn't feel quite right to me.  I generally listen to the Korean, but some subs catch my eye sometimes like this did.  "The same goes for me" was the Netflix translation of what she said.  That was okay, but it perhaps lost a little nuance in what she said.  What she actually said meant "I as well, for the same reason" (나도 그래서 그래).  Had she said the usual 나도 그래, that would be a straight "me too".  Maybe this was why it did not came across as too cold to me. Rather it felt like she was deliberately acting cold. Even hinting that she knew he was also deliberately saying something (in Ep 9) that he didn't exactly mean.  The extra 그래서 ("for that reason", "the same way") in what she said was probably why I felt that way.

By the way, welcome to Soompi and this thread.  Please post more comments.  This drama is great and deserves more comments and discussions!

Exactly. Many nuances are lost in the subs. I am just a beginner in the language. But having seen enormous botch ups in translations in other Kdramas, I know better to not trust the subs as they are. Even in the latest episode (episode 11), she says in the beginning 마음과는다른말들만 내뱉는내곁에  which should be translated as "Thanks for staying next to me even when I only spoke words that are different from what I felt". But it got translated as "....even when I spoke harsh words". The nuance is lost here. On another social media, I saw an user talking about how harsh words could have broken a marriage, referring to this line. But in reality, she wasn't communicating her feelings or rather hiding her true emotions, rather than being downright verbally abusive as it is being construed from the subs.

Thank you. Will do.

Edited by Dinu M

1 hour ago, Dinu M said:

Exactly. Many nuances are lost in the subs. I am just a beginner in the language. But having seen enormous botch ups in translations in other Kdramas, I know better to not trust the subs as they are.

Am pretty sure that Netflix uses AI to sub Korean dramas to English.... I catch kdramas lately having translations that are quite different from what they're saying on screen. And the subtle nuances fall short.

Am also not an expert at the language - still consider myself a beginner despite having studied Korean for quite a while already. It does bother me though that the subs nowadays are so off.

@jayakris What's up with Kwakkie? Is it confirmed that the boy is not his son? Did his wife come back home?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, partyon said:

Am pretty sure that Netflix uses AI to sub Korean dramas to English.... I catch kdramas lately having translations that are quite different from what they're saying on screen. And the subtle nuances fall short.

Am also not an expert at the language - still consider myself a beginner despite having studied Korean for quite a while already. It does bother me though that the subs nowadays are so off.

@jayakris What's up with Kwakkie? Is it confirmed that the boy is not his son? Did his wife come back home?

Wow!  All of u are so dedicated to K Dramas that you all master the Korean Language. :thumbsup:

Are you very busy @partyon ?  That is why u are not up-to-date with QOTears?

No.  We do not know abt Kwakkie's son yet.  Have not get to that yet.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

On 4/14/2024 at 2:07 PM, hush puppy said:

Are you very busy @partyon ?  That is why u are not up-to-date with QOTears?

Nah, chingu, I dropped it. I just disliked the female lead's character a lot and couldn't get into the groove of the drama.

On 4/14/2024 at 2:07 PM, hush puppy said:

No.  We do not know abt Kwakkie's son yet.  Have not get to that yet.

Thanks! Keep me posted on Kwakkie's development :dorakiss:

PS. Am happy to set up a poll on this thread, but I would need help from you guys. If anyone has any question ideas, please let me know. @maribella knows the drill, because she's often helping out on the daily drama threads. EVERYONE can submit ideas for questions!

You can PM me if you're shy. Even if you don't know how to phrase the question, just let me know what you're thinking and I'll phrase it in a way that will fit the forum (that's my job as an EO). :kiss_wink:

Ep 12

The transmission reception is very bad today.   From what I've watched, these are my comments:

1) I don't like the Plot of Hyun Woo leaving Hae In alone while he went to get the car.  Especially when u already know that she tends to have Memory-Lapses.  What's wrong with walking together to the car?  It may be raining, but you have an Umbrella.  It is very clear that the plot is written that way to allow Eun Sung to "steal" her.   To me, that is Poor Script-Writing.  No creativity and original ideas.

2) Alright. So Eun Sung took her away. Good that Hyun Woo gave chase.  But why should Hae In feel bad to tell Hyun Woo the Truth? That she got into the wrong car because of her Memory-Lapses ?   I mean, at this Stage of their relationship, there is no further need to tell a White Lie.

3) I think the Accident where Hae In's brother died was orchestrated by the Witch - Moh Seul Hee. 

- The same way she orchestrated the Fire which killed the Orphanage Director. 

- And the car-accident which killed Eun Sang's adoptive parents.

And now, Eun Sang claimed that he was the one who saved Hae In from drowning ??  No.  It was Hyun Woo who "Saved" Hae In from drowning.  Which means Hae In's Eldest brother Did Not die trying to save Hae In.  So Hae In has nothing to do with his Eldest brother's death.

4) So the father of Da Hye's son is the Finance Director of Hae In's brother.  I always can't remember Kwakkie's name here.

5) The Chairman committed suicide to invalidate MSHee's "Power of Attorney".  But the family is so silly as to listen to MSH and give the Chairman a Last Tour of the House.  I think MSH suggested that because she wants to find the "Panic Room" & the Slush Fund too.

So will it be another Cliff-Hanger to start  Ep 13??  A fight for the Slush Fund.  I guess Hae In's Pen-Recorder will be a Decisive Factor to win the War.

On 4/9/2024 at 8:08 PM, UnniSarah said:

Mo Seul Hee- I think this character also has twisted feeling toward Man Dae( Queen’s Chairman). She doesn’t want to kill him but wants him to be under her control because his family have no respect for her. 

No.  Moh Seul Hee does not has any twisted feelings towards the Chairman.  It is just that her "Power Of Attorney" is only Valid as long as the Chairman is still Alive.  Even if he is in a Coma.   But once the Chairman died, it will be Null & Void.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dinu M said:

Even in the latest episode (episode 11), she says in the beginning 마음과는다른말들만 내뱉는내곁에  which should be translated as "Thanks for staying next to me even when I only spoke words that are different from what I felt". But it got translated as "....even when I spoke harsh words". The nuance is lost here. On another social media, I saw an user talking about how harsh words could have broken a marriage, referring to this line. But in reality, she wasn't communicating her feelings or rather hiding her true emotions, rather than being downright verbally abusive as it is being construed from the subs.

Good catch!  I hadn't noticed that the subs were different, as I was listening only to the Korean there.  Yes, the adjective, 마음과는다른 ("differently from what was in the mind") in front of "blurted out words" (내뱉다 is literally "to spit out," but closer to "blurt out" in meaning), was very important.  It clearly showed that she was not "saying harsh words" knowingly, but saying things she did not mean in a careless and cavalier manner.  I would have translated it as "carelessly blurted out words I didn't mean"

But the problem is that (I think) the Netflix subbers, as also I believe viki and other sites' subbers, have been asked to be brief in everything, as Korean is often quite compact and would need a little more lengthy English lines to properly translate. So they go overboard in skipping details.  The idea of finding the most brief word is fine and necessary, but in most cases, Netflix' problem is something else.  The time segmentation of the subs.  They set up the subs to stay on screen only to the exact time point when the spoken sound finishes, so they flash by and we cannot even look at the acting in our hurry to read the lines.  This is totally unnecessary in most cases, and I don't know why they are stubborn about it. 

Like in the above instant, when there were many seconds of gaps between parts of the sentences spoken, and proper subs could be given that lingered a half second longer for readability.  Plus, they changed the order to fit the English order, and made you almost forget what was said earlier before finishing "despite all the harsh words" when what was said in the second segment was entirely different.  This is all too much clashing for many of us who know at least some Korean and are left confused.  Just give a proper translation and use gaps in speaking within a sentence to let the subs linger on screen.  It is like we are in a war with the subs, to read it before they go away.  What is he hurry?  It would be much better if Netflix would just let the subs linger a little longer on screen (0.5 second is more than enough in most cases), which would allow for cleaner and closer translations that do not drop details.

(By the way, I know these things from doing subtitles for the old crowdsourced darksmurf substitles site several years ago before Netflix, Viki etc got enough subbers to do things fast.  We used to rarely drop anything in what was said, and never Americanized the lines or context much, though the subs often looked "unprofessional" because many subbers were newbies.  We would just extend the time segments wherever we could and let the lines stay on screen a bit longer, so nobody needed to rewind to see something that flashed by too fast)

• Like 1

I felt claustrophobic looking at the whole family in the lift. Wouldn’t it be smarter to have just the children take the picture or the chairman on the farewell lap? They were so trusting of Moh, knowing that she had connived to take all they had. 

The epilogue showed that HW had saved HI from drowning. ES is psychopathic and had an evil streak since young. 
In the preview, HW and HI seemed to have got back together but she looked unconscious. Moh and ES are still working on their plan. She could have kept them trapped in the lift.:grimace:

The grandfather was made of stern stuff. He had left some message for HI on the phone. How would such a man react to find his faithful confidante mistress has been scheming behind his back? Probably heart broken, especially when she taunted him that she didn’t love him.

1 hour ago, jayakris said:

But the problem is that (I think) the Netflix subbers, as also I believe viki and other sites' subbers, have been

I was asking another poster if the Korean words gave the same sense for the words ‘ brat’ and ‘punk’ to refer to downright criminal antagonists. Guess not.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2024 at 9:06 AM, hush puppy said:

One thing I do not like about K-Dramas is the "Over-Acting".  Especially the supporting casts.  The sidekicks who are supposed to provide some comical reliefs.  They tend to "Over-Act".

You are right.  I think it is not the fault of the actors, but rather of the Producer-Directors who ask them to do it.  Like they think that comical relief needs over-acting.  The PDs probably feel that if they do not over-act they will be taken as doing serious roles and so there will be no humor felt by the viewers.  That may even be true, as the Korean audience are so used to not expecting them to act normal.  I don't know, but I also don't like it when they do it that way.

Kwakkie, acting as SuCheol, is often type-cast and asked to over-act, as he is good at producing some humor with that.  You can see that he can do quite fine in regular acting too, like in Ep.12 today

( @partyon, since you asked about Kwakkie...

Spoiler

Yes, his wife is back, and there was a nicely done emotional reunion scene today, as they have made theirs a good romantic story now.  He stood his ground against his mom's wishes and took her back in!

• Love 1

8 hours ago, maribella said:

I was asking another poster if the Korean words gave the same sense for the words ‘ brat’ and ‘punk’ to refer to downright criminal antagonists. Guess not.

I think the problem is that there aren't that many bad words used in common speaking in Korean as there are in English...  In Engish we have punk, lowlife, jerk, bas**d, a*s, jackass, worm, blockhead, fool, idiot, dolt, dunce, dork, twit, nitwit, numskull, punk, SOB, f**ker, m-f'er, sucker, bi*ch, hag, wench, sl*t, tramp, broad, who*e) so on... Most words are used in various contexts in common speaking too.  But what happens in English is that we do not have that many flexible words that fit all contexts.   In such cases, English speakers would add something else...  like "godforsaken women", or "f'ing punk" or "damned brat" "bloody SOB" etc.   People who translate never go for those options as they make the subtitles longer.

Korean drama conversations, on the other hand, use only a few words for all the above cases ("sekki", "gaesekki", "gaejibe", "paboo", "meongcheongi" "ee-neom" etc)... Well, there are some other potent words out there, but they are not used by "decent" people in Korea and are considered unacceptable (censored too) in dramas, while most of the bad words in English are used by decent people too, and nothing much gets censored in English dramas/serials.

So, when the Korean hears a "gaejibe" in a drama, they feel how strong a curse it was, based on the context.  But the translator struggles to pick an appropriate word from English and they just go for "brat" even for a woman murderer.  There is no such catch-all word the subbers can rely on.  I understand their predicament, but I too sometime wish they would stop using "jerk" "brat" and "punk" for everything, and went for some of the many other bad words and phrases that exist in English.

11 hours ago, hush puppy said:

3) I think the Accident where Hae In's brother died was orchestrated by the Witch - Moh Seul Hee. 

And now, Eun Sang claimed that he was the one who saved Hae In from drowning ??  No.  It was Hyun Woo who "Saved" Hae In from drowning.  Which means Hae In's Eldest brother Did Not die trying to save Hae In.  So Hae In has nothing to do with his Eldest brother's death.

Yeah.  I don't know if the mistress madam caused the downing accident, but it is possible that Eun Sung had tried to prevent Hae-in's brother from saving her, so that he could go save her... But by the time his fight with the brother finished it was too late and Hyun-woo had saved her already.  Who knows!

11 hours ago, hush puppy said:

No.  Moh Seul Hee does not has any twisted feelings towards the Chairman.  It is just her "Power Of Attorney" is only Valid as long as the Chairman is still Alive.  Even if he is in a Coma.   But once the Chairman died, it will be Null & Void.

But didn't you find it odd that she was being nasty to the chairman?  What was the need for her to do that, when she still needed to get something from him?  Why would she bring out her true self already?  I didn't get it... Another plot hole, probably.  I love the way the drama has orchestrated the romance between the leads, and their scenes are so carefully written and shot, but I need to let go off the shoddy job here and there in everything else.

(As for why she did not tell HyunWoo that she thought ES was him, I guess I can grudgingly buy the reason EunSung gave her that it might shock HW that she has advanced to the next level of cancer, and so she wanted to tell HW a bit later in the day and not on the road right there.  Having just had the shock herself, she might have been a bit confused and still doubting herself on whom she was talking to, also)

7 minutes ago, jayakris said:

and so she wanted to do that a bit later in the day and not on the road right there.  Having just had the shock herself, she might have been a bit confused and doubting herself too)

She had told him earlier that she wanted him to leave when her sickness became bad. I think telling him of her hallucination would mean she was getting worse and he might leave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayakris said:

But didn't you find it odd that she was being nasty to the chairman?  What was the need for her to do that, when

I think it’s pay back for all the acts of timidity and obsequisence  for the last 25 years. She must have been his mistress and living in the same house as the wife in those years. :open_mouth: How offensive for the wife, no wonder the aunt just hated her.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hush puppy said:

Ep 12

The transmission reception is very bad today.   From what I've watched, these are my comments:

1) I don't like the Plot of Hyun Woo leaving Hae In alone while he went to get the car.  Especially when u already know that she tends to have Memory-Lapses.  What's wrong with walking together to the car?  It may be raining, but you have an Umbrella.  It is very clear that the plot is written that way to allow Eun Sung to "steal" her.   To me, that is Poor Script-Writing.  No creativity and original ideas.

2) Alright. So Eun Sung took her away. Good that Hyun Woo gave chase.  But why should Hae In feel bad to tell Hyun Woo the Truth? That she got into the wrong car because of her Memory-Lapses ?   I mean, at this Stage of their relationship, there is no further need to tell a White Lie.

4) So the father of Da Hye's son is the Finance Director of Hae In's brother.  I always can't remember Kwakkie's name here.

5) The Chairman committed suicide to invalidate MSHee's "Power of Attorney".  But the family is so silly as to listen to MSH and give the Chairman a Last Tour of the House.  I think MSH suggested that because she wants to find the "Panic Room" & the Slush Fund too.

So will it be another Cliff-Hanger to start  Ep 13??  A fight for the Slush Fund.  I guess Hae In's Pen-Recorder will be a Decisive Factor to win the War.

No.  Moh Seul Hee does not has any twisted feelings towards the Chairman.  It is just that her "Power Of Attorney" is only Valid as long as the Chairman is still Alive.  Even if he is in a Coma.   But once the Chairman died, it will be Null & Void.

Me thinks the panic room is empty and moh seul hee and eun seong found the slush fund already. I think her comment to the family was to rub it in. 

• Like 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 12! :).

20240415000007_Kim-Soo-Hyun-Kim-Ji-Won-1

"Queen Of Tears" Overtakes "Goblin" To Become 2nd Highest-Rated Drama In tvN History

Viewership ratings for tvN’s “Queen of Tears” have soared past the 20 percent mark!

On April 14, the hit romance drama starring Kim Soo Hyun and Kim Ji Won broke past 20 percent to achieve its highest viewership ratings to date. According to Nielsen Korea, the latest episode of “Queen of Tears” scored an average nationwide rating of 20.7 percent, marking a new all-time high for the show.

“Queen of Tears” has now overtaken “Goblin” to become the drama with the second-highest ratings in tvN history, bested only by “Crash Landing on You” (which earned a record-breaking nationwide average of 21.7 percent for its series finale back in 2020).

https://www.soompi.com/article/1654866wpp/queen-of-tears-overtakes-goblin-to-become-2nd-highest-rated-drama-in-tvn-history

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hush puppy said:

His name is Soo-cheol here.😀 So apparently, Da-hye's "brother" is really her "baby daddy". Did no one ever bother to veto her family background before she married into the family?!?🤔

re: Panic Room - Am I the only one who believes Eun-seong hasn't found the panic room yet? That mother and son won't waste any chances to flaunt the money if they already have it. Plus it won't be that easy to move that kind of money considering it took a truck to even move it into the panic room in the first place.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jayakris said:

translator struggles to pick an appropriate word from English and they just go for "brat" even for a woman

A brat is a misbehaving delinquent in the normal use. So I couldn’t help laughing each time I read the subs for a full adult who had, for example, just been charged with attempted murder. :rolleyes:
One of the fun things watching daillies is the subs. 

12 minutes ago, scribbledjunkie said:

His name is Soo-cheol here.😀 So apparently, Da-hye's "brother" is really her "baby daddy". Did no one ever bother to veto her family background before she married into the family?!?🤔

It can be seen that they are not a very bright family and had been very dependent on their workers. The everchanging side matchmaker was very involved in the swindle.

It’s a bit unusual since the grandfather had been a street vendor who built his conglomerate, he would have instilled similar work ethics in his children. None of the three was anything like him. HI the second generation is the closest to him.

Another discussion forum thinks SC did the right thing welcoming his wife back. I think that’s what the lame brain brother would do and had done. Someone had been part of a scheme that put his parents and him in the streets, if not for his BIL, and he warmly welcomed her back. The company is in a bad shape because of ES investment project that involved scamming land owners. SC was the one pushing for it, his wife’s ‘brother’  cost the company 800 billion won in extra tax and he defended the creep - father of his son. I think SC’s lack of awareness of the gravity of the problem he created shows that he really should not be given any important post. In many episodes, he was either trying to outshine HW or HI instead of focusing on the pros and cons of the project. Probably the writer is trying to impart some lesson. I shan’t be surprised if he remained in Young buri. 

• Like 1