[Drama 2022] Red Balloon - 빨간 풍선

0ly40

Here are the ratings for Episode 12! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Red Balloon,” “Agency,” And “Crash Course In Romance” Hit New All-Time Ratings Highs

The weekend drama ratings battle is heating up!

On January 29, no less than four dramas achieved their highest viewership ratings to date. TV Chosun’s hit drama “Red Balloon” climbed to an average nationwide rating of 7.9 percent, marking a new personal record for the show.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1564696wpp/red-balloon-agency-and-crash-course-in-romance-hit-new-all-time-ratings-highs

• Like 1

Watched episode 12, well sort of, my FFW fingers were working overtime. The wife turned up at the lovers nest and all broke loose. The mistress took offence at being called filthy.  Afterall she loved the man whereas the wife and parents couldn't care less. :surprisedwut:

In the tussle the wife fell and cut her forehead. How could you hit me etc. etc.  said she to the husband. She got into a taxi that was driven by one of the characters who seemed to care for her more than the usal caring taxi driver. :D But I FFW so much, so no idea who he was. 

FFW till the end. Preview showed the FL and ML making out, someone was watching. Cliffhanger. Most likely it was the wife, who seems to make light of her mother's warnings. Was she in denial?

• Like 2

On 8/24/2022 at 2:40 AM, larus said:

TV Chosun's new drama 'Red Balloon' deals with the disease we all suffer from and the relative sense of deprivation. It depicts a heartbreaking yet warm story of a person who struggles to appease the thirst of desire that hurts the stomach.

Since I can't watch this cheating show throughout, I resort to going back to the summary which @larus had posted. I am guessing it was put up by the producer/station.

'the disease we all suffer'  like what? the cheating disease? Not me I never ever did have it.

'relative sense of deprivation'

A sense of deprivation that drove the two men to cheat on the mothers of their children? Relative to what? or whom?

A warm story? :Megalol::hahah!: 

Sorry fans of this show. I went to 

Spoiler

Dramabeans recaps. They are not doing it. So I need to suffer and skip through it since I just have to know the ending. There is nothing heartwarming from the parts that I have watched. But to each his own.

There was a Chinese show by the same name but a rather different storyline from the synopsis.

• LOL 2

Both sisters have passed their breaking point. Can't believe how brazen they both were. In particular Eun San. She is so young too ; am so disappointed in her as she was so sassy at the beginning.. 

Ba Da was hilarious when Cha Won tried to remove Ki Han's jacket off and she flopped over like a seal LoL! I feel for their kid, Mi Poong. 

It really was like "Parasite" when the father, mother and Eun Gang all were at the same house LoL. They missed e.o. that scene was tense.

Btw why did Dae Geun act all emo with Nam Chul's wife LoL? Ugh no likable characters here LoL. Everyone is twisted. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maribella said:

There is nothing heartwarming from the parts that I have watched.

I read a little some articles or comments but really I am not interested in this show. I don`t watch makjang, especially crazy makjang. I see that the ratings are OK. I guess people likes this kind of shows.

Don`t try to understand the raw translation articles too much. Sometimes Google translate doesn`t make any sense. :D

• LOL 2

Exclusive! ELLE Chats with Red Balloon’s Seo Ji Hye, Lee Sang Woo, and Hong Soo Hyun

January 30, 2023

Red Balloon is a melodrama that tells the story of four individuals who are unhappy with their lives and relationships. At least, that’s the simple version of the story. Each of them chooses to seek comfort in people and become involved in dangerous relationships that may jeopardise their lives and everything they’ve worked hard for.

In an exclusive interview with ELLE Singapore, actors Seo Ji Hye, Lee Sang Woo, Hong Soo Hyun, Lee Sung Jae, and Jung Yoo Min talk about Red Balloon. Their character inspiration, similarities shared with their on-screen counterparts, and most memorable scenes from the show.

Exclusive-ELLE-Chats-with-Red-Balloons-S

What was it about this script that made you want to participate in the project?

Seo Ji Hye: In a meeting with the writer, we discussed how I’ll be able to express an extremely wide range of emotions through my character Jo Eun Kang. As an actress, I was really curious about how that would play out and saw it as a challenge. Hence, I chose to be a part of this production as it was a character that was different from all the ones that I played.

Lee Sang Woo: As a matter of fact, my decision was made even before I read the script. The director was the first person to give me an opportunity to be part of a one-act play, and the writer was like a benefactor to me who taught me about my passion for acting 16 years ago, through the drama First Wives’ Club. So I could easily make the decision to be part [of the drama] and was filled with joy that I could work with the writer again even before I read the script.

Hong Soo Hyun: I fell in love with the script as reading the lines and passages of it made it feel like I was watching a drama production. I really couldn’t wait to watch it and as an actress, I really wanted to “meet” Han Ba Da as soon as possible. Above all, I chose to be a part of this production without even hesitating for a second because the writer of it was Moon Young Nam and the director Jin Hyoung Wook. I am gladly working with both of them whom I’ve always wanted to work with.

Lee Sung Jae: It was interesting watching the story about this combination of unique characters. Also, it was pleasing how my character, Ji Nam Cheol, had a different personality from all of the other characters I have played so far. Hence I wanted to take on this challenge.

Where did you draw inspiration to play your character in Red Balloon?

Hong Soo Hyun: Rather than drawing inspiration from somewhere or something, I tried to follow the emotional flow of Han Ba Da. By going through the script countless times, I made the effort to get a grasp of her past, present, and emotions, and put focus on expressing in detail the sway in her emotions due to the betrayal she had to go through.

Lee Sung Jae: Rather than drawing inspiration from something or somewhere, the script of the drama was one that is well organised and detailed. Hence, I was immediately able to get a grasp of how I should portray the character Ji Nam Cheol. In addition, I had many discussions with both the director and writer before we started filming, which helped me make my character more complete.

Jung Yoo Min: I would sometimes take the emotions that I have felt or experiences that I have gone through directly or indirectly and connect them with what Eun San, and I tend to imagine how she would feel too. In addition, the lines written by writer Moon Young Nam have empowered me in terms of my ability to empathise with my character. While reading the lines in the script, I too found inspiration for my character within the realm of empathy inside me.

Compared to previous dramas, what do you think was the biggest difficulty you experienced while playing your character?

Seo Ji Hye: In the productions that I have been a part of in the past, I have played many characters that were confident and urbanised. However, Eun Kang was a character who had a complex inner mind and did not reveal her desires and greed that were in her heart, making it challenging for me to express such aspects of her when acting in front of the camera.

Lee Sang Woo: Speaking as an actor, when a script hasn’t been completed, it means that there are a lot of gaps to fill together with the director. Hence, there were times during the filming that was tough for me. However, I didn’t face many difficulties while filming Red Balloon and everything is falling well into place.

Is there any similarity or difference between the character and yourself?

Seo Ji Hye: It seems like there are many differences between the two of us because we have almost opposite tendencies. While I am an extrovert who is cool about almost everything, I feel that Eun Kang has a different personality that is calm and honest.

Lee Sang Woo: We are both similar in the sense that we like cooking and are good at it. As for differences, my character’s mother and wife do not get along well, but in reality, my mother and wife have a good relationship with each other.

Hong Soo Hyun: We both are similar in the sense that we both are passionate and pure. What differentiates us is I am more considerate towards others (unlike Ba Da), and I will always try to complete tasks on my own.

Lee Sung Jae: I think we are similar in that we both try our best to endure and persevere as much as we can no matter what. However, my character may feel a little frustrated whenever he has to hold back what he has to say, but I don’t think that is how I feel in real life.

Jung Yoo Min: We seem to be similar in terms of our attitude towards life and our driving forces. We are different in the sense that I have more fears than Eun San, and I don’t do anything that feels reckless to me.

What was the most memorable scene for you in Red Balloon?

Seo Ji Hye: The swimming pool scene was the most memorable for me. I believe that it was a scene that showed the inner side of Eun Kang well. It felt like the scene wasn’t simply about her swimming, but was instead showing the audience her burning desires that were hidden deep in her heart.

Lee Sang Woo: I remember the scene where Eun Kang came onto the bed my character was on and hugged him from behind when he was asleep with Ba Da.

Lee Sung Jae: The camping scene by the lake that was aired in episode four was the most memorable to me. It was impressive because it was the first time Nam Chul and Eun San, who had their own struggles to deal with, talked openly, and I think the final product turned out to be beautiful.

Can you share with us a memorable moment on set?

Hong Soo Hyun: I think the café scene, which is the first scene of episode 15, will be a very memorable one. This is because it is a scene where various emotions of Ba Da are mixed.

Lee Sung Jae: It might be because of the pleasant atmosphere of the film set, but every moment of the process is memorable to me. In particular, there were many scenes that I filmed with Jung Yoo Min, and it was interesting sharing our opinions and working together because she holds a strong passion for acting and was well prepared.

Jung Yoo Min: It was when we were filming the scene where an accident happened in the junkyard. It was a scene that could be dangerous even while we film it, hence everyone had their guards up while filming it. During the process, Lee Seong Jae didn’t hold back physically and used his body like a martyr, so I followed suit. I believe the final product will reflect the amount of effort we have put in.

• Like 2

Eun San has lost it LoL. And apparently Nam Chul's wife isn't as upright as she appears either.. she has a past love of her own. None other than - Dae Geun, who happens to be Eun Gang's uncle. What is it with that family?! They're all cheaters! 

Eun Gang has been caught in the act with Cha Won by Ba Da's mom. Oh boy LoL. Ba Da is in hot water shown in next ep. preview. Her investment fell through, resulting in losing the business and her mil's money. 

It was sorta nice to see Eun Gang's parents made up despite the hubs' philandering ways. That there's actual affection there but they still set a bad example for the sisters.

This writer per usual doesn't even know the point she wants to convey except everyone cheats??? Eun Gang’s MOTHER is so classless. She was ratchet!

Nam Chul's wife didn't cheat and least it did not show that today. The uncle was beaten within an inch of his life over 20 years ago.

Little sister lost her mind! Now she is approaching her ex-lovers preteen kids even after she confessed how she lost her mind as a kid when her mom dragged her out to confront one of her dad's mistresses?

This writer never changes.

• Like 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 13! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Agency,” “Red Balloon,” And “Crash Course In Romance” All Earn Their Highest Saturday Ratings Yet

The weekend drama ratings battle remains as fierce as ever!

On February 4, JTBC’s “Agency,” TV Chosun’s “Red Balloon,” and tvN’s “Crash Course in Romance” all achieved their highest ratings to date for a Saturday (when their ratings are typically lower compared to Sundays)

Meanwhile, “Red Balloon” earned an average nationwide rating of 7.6 percent for its latest episode.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1565357wpp/agency-red-balloon-and-crash-course-in-romance-all-earn-their-highest-saturday-ratings-yet

• Like 2

You know, I'm not that squeamish about adultery in dramas. Because it's fiction. So I'm interested in seeing how the story develops. I don't default to "These adulterous creatures need to immediately burn!"

So I watched the story develop, and... "These adulterous creatures need to... *&^%&$#!!!" Haha, I don't even know. It's getting ridiculous and everyone's just in such a MESS all of their own making. What a trainwreck!

TL;DR everyone sucks!

Was I the only one laughing when Eun-kang was lecturing Eun-san about breaking up a family by having an affair with a married man? Excuse me? IS SHE SERIOUS? Maybe she has multiple personalities and only one of them is committing adultery? That's the only rational explanation. The self-righteous way she's acting was really something else.

Really sad to see Dae-geun's backstory. He was beaten really badly by Old Man Go for dating Geum-ah, and he's still suffering trauma and pain from his back injury.

Again, not okay with Nam-cheol cheating on his wife, but he really has such a tragic backstory, having been brainwashed into being an indentured servant for decades. Old Man Go really did a number on both of these men, and I feel like his terrible deeds are catching up with him now.

And what's really hilarious is - this family can't kick Nam-cheol out even after his affair is found out. They have to try and keep him in the fold because he is so essential to them. Maybe they shouldn't have treated him like doo-doo all these years, but haha, no one on this show is making good life decisions.

What I think will happen:

1. Eun-san's behavior is "Fatal Attraction" at this point. And now his kids are getting hurt. No, that's not okay. She didn't have to do that. Obviously she's already doing bad things by having an affair and even confronting his wife. But involving the kids? That is seriously crossing the line.

I feel like Nam-cheol is in love with her now, but he will eventually see that she's actually unhinged and dangerous. At the very least, see that she is unstable and their relationship is not good for either of them.

He might even divorce Geum-ah, but he might just end up alone and not with Eun-san.

2. Eun-kang's behavior is also pretty psychotic at this point. Chan-won finally is attracted to her, but he will eventually find out about all the deceitful things Eun-kang did.

For example, it seems like Bada's jewelry business is messed up. Perhaps because Eun-kang sent some of her jewelry designs to her business rival. I think Chan-won will find out about this eventually, and find that he doesn't really love Eun-kang.

So basically, I think the sisters will be successful at breaking up these marriages. But they still won't get what they want because of all their crazy behavior.

• Like 3

I thought the two wives were pathetic. BD's mother had been warning her and she ignored it. Now she had to collapse before BD does anything instead of going otoke, otoke. Looks like she's kicking him out. High time.

What a family, two sisters sc.. married men, the father cheating on the wife. 

Instead of kicking him out, she went looking for the taxi driver who was related to the mistresses? She thinks she's pathetic. She's right.

The other women are unconscionable. Bedding the friend's husband, ruining her business and continuing the charade of being a good friend. The young mistress went to see the man's children!! The mother should strip her to the bones. What a piece of rubbish!

Are the writer and director showing how devastated the cheating husband is? his mistress is desperately in love with him that she again confronted the wife? Now adding the children. What rot and rubbish! She was called an adulterer and she looked unbelieving. Good lord, she must have thought that she was Juliet? Lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seo Ji Hye, Lee Sang Woo, And More Have A Tense Encounter At The Police Station In “Red Balloon”

Seo Ji Hye, Lee Sang Woo, And More Have A Tense Encounter At The Police Station In “Red Balloon”

Red Balloon” has dropped new stills ahead of the upcoming episode!

“Red Balloon” is a thrilling yet passionate story about the sense of deprivation we all feel when comparing ourselves to others, the thirst of jealous ambition, and our struggles to quench that thirst. Seo Ji Hye stars as Jo Eun Kang, who dreams of becoming a teacher but instead works as a tutor after consistently failing her employment exams. Lee Sang Woo plays Han Ba Da’s (Hong Soo Hyun’s) husband Go Cha Won, who is a dermatologist.

Spoilers

The newly released stills of the upcoming episode preview a tense moment between Jo Eun Kang (Seo Ji Hye), Han Ba Da (Hong Soo Hyun), Go Cha Won (Lee Sang Woo), and Shin Ki Han (Choi Sung Jae) at the police station.

In the stills, Han Ba Da is sitting in front of the police officer with Jo Eun Kang and Shin Ki Han by her side as they file a complaint. She covers her mouth while in tears as Shin Ki Han appears to be raising his voice at the police officer in anger. Jo Eun Kang also shares a nervous gaze.

Go Cha Won rushes to the police station but stops as he sees the three sitting in front of the police officer, and he steps outside with Jo Eun Kang to have a conversation. Go Cha Won also looks displeased by the sight of a teary-eyed Han Ba Da and Shin Ki Han by her side, raising questions about why the four have met at the police station.

Red-Balloon-2.jpeg

The next episode of “Red Ballon” will air on February 5 at 9:10 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1565394wpp/seo-ji-hye-lee-sang-woo-and-more-have-a-tense-encounter-at-the-police-station-in-red-balloon

• Like 2

They made a police report on some fraud or something that was done to her products. The buyers rejected them for some reason. I am FFWing a lot, just here to get the gist. The interpol was also mentioned. 
I didn't watch the scene but the FL had done something to the products apparently. She is sleeping with her bestie's husband, ruining her company while working there and pretending to help with the family. Really a piece. All because they had been using her. That's a far stretch to stab someone in the back as if they have ruined her life. She seemed to be doing it well on her own.

• Like 1

Eun-kang took photos of Bada's jewelry design and gave them to someone else. They made cheap copies of her design and sold them on the street for cheap prices. So the customers returned their jewelry purchases, and Bada has to refund the home shopping company all the money she earned. Her reputation as a jewelry designer is probably ruined, too. It's a huge betrayal.

I was laughing so hard when Dae-geun and Geum-ah embraced each other over their bowls of jja-jang noodles. HAHAHA, these two crazy kids. He's a low-key grifter, and she's been living under her parents' thumb her whole life so she doesn't know how to do anything on her own. But they didn't commit adultery, so that automatically makes them paragons of virtue in this s**tshow full of trash people.

Pretty much everyone in the Jo family are trash, and the same goes for the Go family.

In the Jo family, you have the idiot parents bonding over scamming the Go family, then the two adultery sisters are who truly next-level trash.

And you've got the Go family. The parents are basically evil greed monsters who are truly ignorant. While their children aren't evil, they are definitely suffering from their idiot parents' dumb decisions.

I don't know why I expected this writer to create some interesting, multi-dimentional characters this time around. She truly has a talent for creating debased characters. She's known for writing shows that you "love to watch while cursing at the characters." Indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Eun-kang took photos of Bada's jewelry design and gave them to someone else. They made cheap copies of her design and sold them on the street for cheap prices. So the customers returned their jewelry purchases, and Bada has to refund the home shopping company all the money she earned. Her reputation as a jewelry designer is probably ruined, too. It's a huge betrayal.

I was laughing so hard when Dae-geun and Geum-ah embraced each other over their bowls of jja-jang noodles. HAHAHA, these two crazy kids. He's a low-key grifter, and she's been living under her parents' thumb her whole life so she doesn't know how to do anything on her own. But they didn't commit adultery, so that automatically makes them paragons of virtue in this s**tshow full of trash people.

Pretty much everyone in the Jo family are trash, and the same goes for the Go family.

In the Jo family, you have the idiot parents bonding over scamming the Go family, then the two adultery sisters are who truly next-level trash.

And you've got the Go family. The parents are basically evil greed monsters who are truly ignorant. While their children aren't evil, they are definitely suffering from their idiot parents' dumb decisions.

I don't know why I expected this writer to create some interesting, multi-dimentional characters this time around. She truly has a talent for creating debased characters. She's known for writing shows that you "love to watch while cursing at the characters." Indeed.

I agree with your analysis 100%. Bada has a million character flaws to the Max and she did treat her friend like a servant, but her friend let her. She even likely cheated on her husband and had that baby by her ex, BUT the revenge her friend is taking is gutter wrench foul! I don't like Bada at all; however, wrong is wrong! Eun Kang ex is pouring salt in the wound by lying like he was wronged; he was NOT!

• Like 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 14! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Red Balloon,” “Crash Course In Romance,” And “Three Bold Siblings” Soar To Their Highest Ratings Yet

Three dramas reached new all-time highs in viewership last night!

Meanwhile, TV Chosun’s “Red Balloon” also rose to its own all-time high, earning a nationwide average of 8.1 percent for its latest episode.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1565468wpp/red-balloon-crash-course-in-romance-and-three-bold-siblings-soar-to-their-highest-ratings-yet

• Like 2

So I have been watching this show. I guess, I kind of understand that Ba Da has been essentially using Eun Kang. But my issue is that, Eun Kang is a deadbeat. She doesn't work, she basically gave up on being a teacher until she turned villain, she doesn't have anything going on. The only indication that Ba Da wasn't a genuine to her was when she was talking to the Ki Han and agreed that she doest really value Eun Kang. Other than that we see her being there for Eun Kang and really loving her.

On top of that Ba Da is paying Eun Kang, so yes she calls you to run her errands, but she is paying you, you should be grateful since you don't have a job.

Ba Da is no saint and has plenty of issues, but I don't think Eun Kang can use Ba Da as an excuse for her behavior.

Also Cha Won didn't really seem to look at Eun Kang romantically, It seems like from this last ep he may finally begin to see that Eun Kang manipulated him. Thus ruining his life. I hope he grows to hate her, she is a snake.

I agree that Bada does care for Eun-kang. But I'm not convinced that Bada really cares for Eun-kang as a person. I think she cares about Eun-kang as her friend/slave.

It is true that Eun-kang did it all willingly. But Bada also made sure to shoo away any potential decent boyfriend that Eun-kang could get, so she would stay single and be available as her friend/slave.

I'm definitely not saying that seducing her husband is payback that Bada deserves. If Eun-kang is dumb enough to spend the last 25 years of her life being Bada's slave, that's on her.

Anyway, Eun-kang is in trouble. Stealing jewelry designs is apparently a crime in South Korea? (Interpol? Really?) And Eun-san embezzled money from the company to pay rent for that apartment. Aside from all the adultery, these ladies could end up in jail. And I will not mind seeing these two behind bars.

It will be pretty fun to see everyone find out about each other:

• Geum-ah finding out that -> the love of her life's two nieces are Eun-kang, the one who slept with her younger brother, and Eun-san, the one who slept with her husband.
  • Go Mul-sang finding out that -> his cook is his favorite taxi driver's wife, who is the brother of that guy he nearly beat to death for dating his daughter 18 years ago

And Kwon Tae-gi and his punchable face is still hanging around. Ugh.

So I am interested in seeing how this makjang mess ends. Everyone will end up in some screaming, hair-pulling brawl. And I guess somehow, balloons will be involved.

• Like 3

I got to the part when she said that she missed him and FFW. The writer has really made her pathetic. The hairpulling was great. Then she reverted to her apologetic self. Scratch and hit him and her for heaven's sakes.

I used to think a dignified stiff upper lip reaction was so admirable. What the heck? The mistress should be humiliated in public, hairpulling, punching and shoving, yes get it out of tye system.

She was hurting and I wasn't sure if meeting the taxi guy was a revenge or looking for comfort. I saw those exchanged looks and was hoping she at least would be a good person and remain faithful to her vows. Alas. This is a show with throughly unpleasant characters. I don't think viewers would be upset if all relationships ended.

In the preview, the husband's voice said it wasn't a mistake. It could be about the company or his trysts with FL.

• Like 1