[Drama 2021] The Red Sleeve Cuff, 옷소매 붉은 끝동

ferily

still crying...this drama was so well written...they met in after life...all he ever wanted was her love ...all she ever wanted was to be free but she loved him so much that gave up...he did not force her  she chose him...i loved that

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, andy78 said:

still crying...this drama was so well written...they met in after life...all he ever wanted was her love ...all she ever wanted was to be free but she loved him so much that gave up...he did not force her  she chose him...i loved that

So, it's afterlife? ok

• Like 1

Just now, youactlikeicare said:

So the ending is either

A. All the sadness was a dream San had and now they are living a happy life

B. San is dead and this is them meeting in the afterlife

I think they shot it in a way that people can believe whatever ending they want.

Yeah, gotta love Ji-in PD's masterful editing.

• Like 3

Yeah it is the afterlife. Seems like it was done similiar to Dong Yi ending which i like. We can always hope there is an afterlife and they were reunited in history. Compared to Choi Sukbin and King Sukjong's story there is alittle more info about Yi San and Deokim. We know that he still missed her greatly even a decade after her death. From what he said about her and all the trees he planted for her.

• Like 6

• ferily changed the title to [Drama 2021] The Red Sleeve Cuff, 옷소매 붉은 끝동

ending lines is so powerful

Spoiler

San :

If this...
is a past memory, it is fine.

If it is a dream, it is fine.

It does not matter if I am dead.

I will...

always choose this moment with you...

and hope...

This moment to not change.

For this moment...

to be forever.

Deokim
So the moment...

became forever.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

From the drama's perspective San had no choice than push Doek Im to be his cocubine. He had let her go but she was drawn back to the palace and become an unwitting pawn in the power game against San. That was the best way San could protect her since she didn't enjoy any powerful backers.Pity that this escaped Deok Im.Does the novel also hint towards this?

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

What a tragic love story they had . It felt like Deok Im lost her spunk after she made her decision to be with San. Was she ever truly happy? She didn’t even want to meet him again in her next life and would rather be with her friends . It seemed to me she spent her days caged up in the palace and her only goal was to wait for San to come. I hope it’s different after watching it with subtitles . 

• Like 2

This drama broke me just like their story did in the drama Yi San. But this drama is alot better in my opinion. The great acting, especially from Junho and Seyoung. The writing was phenomenal.Episode 17 was just masterful the way the entire ending was done. I truly hope they were reunited in the afterlife..

I hope they score big on Baeksang Awards. Would love to see Seyoung winning Daesang or atleast best actress in drama award.

The emotions on Seyoung face and gestures, i was just waiting for her to smile again, I think the ending scene was one of the best ones i ever seen. San's words and longing for Deokim and Deokim's smile and words at the end. This will be one of my favorite historical drama ever along with Dong Yi and Story of Minglan. But this one has the most powerful ending. But i probably won't watch it again ever since i have a hard time watching tragic drama. I was contemplating if i should start this drama or not a few weeks ago but decided to do it cause of Seyoung.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Lunkera said:

This drama broke me just like their story did in the drama Yi San. But this drama is alot better in my opinion. The great acting, especially from Junho and Seyoung. The writing was phenomenal.Episode 17 was just masterful the way the entire ending was done. I truly hope they were reunited in the afterlife..

I hope they score big on Baeksang Awards

I sincerely hope they do. Episode 17 was poignant.I got swept away in San's struggle to remember and forget DoekIm.Of his wistful sadness on not being on Doekim's precious list and the smile on seeing that he took a fair share in her cherished memories.Baeksang for Junho please. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lunkera said:

ending lines is so powerful

Hide contents

San :

If this...
is a past memory, it is fine.

If it is a dream, it is fine.

It does not matter if I am dead.

I will...

always choose this moment with you...

and hope...

This moment to not change.

For this moment...

to be forever.

Deokim
So the moment...

became forever.

Thanks for the translations... reading all comments... Eventually it is always San who talks about his feelings to her more than anything while Deok Im was just reluctant to say anything. 

She saw what was done to concubines who lost favour or didnt bear the king any sons when she was young,  but her situation was different. The king loved her dearly and she was just unhappy because she cant go out from the palace? She can always have her friends with her at the palace and she can always request San to go out of the palace if she wants to, no?

Its like the writers just want to make Deok Im unhappy as much possible because what could possibly the reason for the real Deok Im rejecting the King's hand in marriage, two centuries ago? Sigh

From the twitter updates, to the her last breath scene, it doesnt seemed to indicate that she loved him that much... sigh... 

Will have to watch the subbed episodes .. seems to me ep16 sounds better than 17..

#junho tweets this morning are all about his dance with yoona and less on the red sleeve ending.. hmmm..

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

Thanks for the translations... reading all comments... Eventually it is always San who talks about his feelings to her more than anything while Deok Im was just reluctant to say anything. 

She saw what was done to concubines who lost favour or didnt bear the king any sons when she was young,  but her situation was different. The king loved her dearly and she was just unhappy because she cant go out from the palace? She can always have her friends with her at the palace and she can always request San to go out of the palace if she wants to, no?

Its like the writers just want to make Deok Im unhappy as much possible because what could possibly the reason for the real Deok Im rejecting the King's hand in marriage, two centuries ago? Sigh

From the twitter updates, to the her last breath scene, it doesnt seemed to indicate that she loved him that much... sigh... 

Will have to watch the subbed episodes .. seems to me ep16 sounds better than 17..

#junho tweets this morning are all about his dance with yoona and less on the red sleeve ending.. hmmm..

No. The entire drama's theme is about the sad life of the women in the palace. Whether one is loved by the King or not, their lives are all sad.. Daebi who can't mourn for her brother who died, she said the palace is actually a prison to the women.. San's mother likewise, did not live a happy life, as she lost her husband, even if her son became King in the end.. the loneliness and sadness of their daily lives in the palace is something nothing can be replaced. Deok Im's friend who chose to have an affair with another man and died for it, Head Court Lady who was thrown aside by King Yeongjo (San's grandfather), in favour of Yeongbin (San's grandmother), Wol Hye who rebelled against San and was killed, Won Bin (Deok Ro's sister) who died suddenly from depression, etc. Every woman in the palace have a sad story. That is the entire theme of the drama. 

Deok Im likewise knows that once she becomes the King's concubine, she becomes a prisoner of the palace. Even if San loves her, he cannot fill all the moments of her life.. he has other commitments, other ppl who requires his time. As DI narrated in one scene, her daytime is just spent waiting for San. The question of whether DI loves San as much as he loves her, that is actually shown in her actions, not her words. It is because she loves him so much, that she stayed behind, even knowing the sad and lonely life ahead of her, she stayed. In her dying breath she said it, if she didn't want to, she would have done all she could to runaway from the palace. But it was her choice to stay with him in the end. 

• Like 5
  • Love 5