[Drama 2021] The King’s Affection, 연모

ferily

my predict ending if happy ending probably everyone in royal family know hwi secret and hwi will end with take down the granpa, investigate gaon father and king murder. lastly she will give the throne to gyeom or prince wonsan and lead quit live outside palace with jiwon. if tragic ending hmm, since drama tittle king's affection, probably hwi will be king until the end. we still have 6 episode left, i still can't predict what this drama will lead us to the ending. it's such a good drama. 

rating slightly drop from previous episode, i hope it will rise again on next monday. usually i'm binge watching when the drama ends, i'm not sure why i watch it now, since i'm not patient to wait! haha

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

KBS’s “The King’s Affection” continues to maintain its commanding lead in the ratings battle!

According to Nielsen Korea, the November 23 episode of “The King’s Affection” recorded average nationwide ratings of 9.6 percent. Although a slight decrease (0.4 percent) from last episode‘s personal best of 10 percent, it is still an impressive rating considering the increased amount of variety show competition on Tuesday nights.

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/the-kings-affection-holds-on-to-top-spot-in-ratings-idol-the-coup-sees-slight-rise/#ixzz7D5vlyrI6

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

I find many things funny and illogical in this drama.

Kim Ga On was slashed on the back. Overnight he was healed and able to fight the next day. He got slashed on the arm, got away and did not show up on screen but came back to threaten the King, who revealed that he knew about Ga On (Eun Soo) and that he was the son of the former royal tutor who was framed and beheaded. The king said the he and Ga On's father are friends and share the same vision for Joseon. He told Ga On where his father was buried. Now he knew that someone poisoned the King. He was not with the new King as he visited his father's grave and doing some investigating as well (I belieive). But he is a royal bodyguard, how come he's not with the King all the time?

Hwi got slashed on the arm. But it will take two months to heal. What's the difference between a slash on the arm of a bodyguard and a royal?

• LOL 4

1 hour ago, reddragon said:

I find many things funny and illogical in this drama.

Kim Ga On was slashed on the back. Overnight he was healed and able to fight the next day. He got slashed on the arm, got away and did not show up on screen but came back to threaten the King, who revealed that he knew about Ga On (Eun Soo) and that he was the son of the former royal tutor who was framed and beheaded. The king said the he and Ga On's father are friends and share the same vision for Joseon. He told Ga On where his father was buried. Now he knew that someone poisoned the King. He was not with the new King as he visited his father's grave and doing some investigating as well (I belieive). But he is a royal bodyguard, how come he's not with the King all the time?

Hwi got slashed on the arm. But it will take two months to heal. What's the difference between a slash on the arm of a bodyguard and a royal?

So this is always the things about saeguk dramas that are romance focused - they ask you to take a leap of faith. I say this as a fan of Park Eun Bin(she's a ride or die like Lee Se Young for me). I'm still baffled that Ji Un pondered that Lee Hwi was a girl in episode 3 or something but just tossed that theory out the window for really no good reason. Everyone is hyper sensitive about Lee Hwi being discovered as a girl but at the end of episode 14: 

Spoiler

Yeah no it's cool let's just make out on a LIT pathway in the middle of the palace. Also, royal wedding was entirely skipped so all of a sudden there's a queen in episode 14 lol

I was a little confused when PEB posted that 14 was the start of the second phase of the drama but you can feel it with the amount of left turns we took. I think what's going to be hard to balance is Lee Hwi as the king (as a stern stereotypical male king) but also the cute moments that will be written in because this is still a romance drama. 

Doesn't mean to say that I don't enjoy the ride just after you watch a number of these but it's very much big picture logic don't look under the covers. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

haven't followed a saeguk drama as good as this one for a long time! the first episode was so good and the cinematography really brings out the beautiful facial features of PEB and Rowoon. I didn't watch any of Rowoon's drama before but he definitely knows how to act with his eyes and his voice here.  I followed PEB a lot, and never noticed that her eyes are that beautiful. I jumped into the second half of the webtoon and a lot more interesting plots will happen which i personally think should have started at around ep11. I felt the pace was a bit slow in the middle and I hope the production won't breeze through the remaining episodes. I so hope for a complete happy ending for this drama! 

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

I agree with you @zaizai00. They are not cautious, considering that they are taking pains to hide the fact that the king is female. Did they think they are safe within the palace where there are thousands of eyes and ears? There are already many people who knows that the king is a she.

JU has been warned by Hyun about putting Hwi's life in danger. But he never listens. The story contrives to make the couple meet at every turn. How come the scribe remains in the palace grounds after office hours? Why on earth did he put lights on that path that the king takes? It's like announcing to the world that, "Hey I know the king take an evening stroll here all the time, so I am going to put lights here to help him see the path, and if I happen to meet him/her, we're going to talk and share some lovey-dovey moments for everyone to clearly see."

He clearly knows that his father is now acting as the king's bodyguard so he'll be around most of the time, especially when the king is still awake. He knows that his father is the minion of Sangheon and will do everything that the power-hungry grandfather wants him to do. He knows that there are so many threats to the king's life and many people want to depose the king, and all he could think about is his love for the king? There are many kinds of love, and one of them is to protect the person you cherish. His actions are endangering the king. He's using his ...to think.

• Wiggle 2
  • Blob 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

His saying about longing and waiting reminding me of 2 dice he got from Dami.  They are labeled as longing, wait, not, rest, and stay.  Don’t know what the sixth side is.  I find their romance is quite relating to those symbols.

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

First off, when did they got married!? the king and queen? Haha..

They could spike her drink and let her sleep during every wedding night? No?...:lol:

Sigh, how could she not know that the bodyguard is always around... and the distance is so near, both of them could have seen him from that distance...

Hyun's confession was sad...  sigh...  then we never get to see what Jiun replied him... or Hyun's expression on that...

If they wanted to kiss, they could just kissed in the room.. why at the open where there are bound to be eyes at every corner? Sigh.. despite being king, she knows she is being watched right?... maybe we viewers are more paranoid than the writer of the drama.. haha:lol:

The drama needs to move the plot, with 6 more episodes to go, it cant be more slow motion of lingering feelings, no?

Im watching - Do you like Brahms - i never did get around to watching that when it was aired... i see why some might not be interested, because the pace of the drama can be slow... but since i have time, gonna watch it.. its growing on me after ep5...:D

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

I was kinda confused at first when the Queen, well became Queen. I think that they didn’t show the marriage because back in the old days, when the Crown Prince in joseon becomes king, automatically the King will have a Queen. So that’s why we see the Queen and Hwi are married. They were already looking for a crown Princess before Hwi’s father died so it does make sense that Hwi has a Queen. It would have been nice if they included some dialogue in the episode that mentioned they had a royal wedding and Ha Kyung (I think that’s her name) became Queen.

As for lighting lanterns, I don’t think it’s a huge deal that there are lanterns on the path. It’s natural to have lanterns or some source of light in the palace so I don’t think people in the palace will think of it and think that it’s the path that the king takes. But for kissing out in the open, I was screaming internally when they were kissing and Ji Woon’s father was watching the whole thing.. I think we are all paranoid from watching so many dramas that someone is always spying on our main leads :lol:

For @realistic2280a:

Spoiler

I LOVEE Do you like brahms and it’s one of my favorite dramas! It’s definitely more of a slow drama since the two main leads are introverts but it’s sooo amazing to see how things play out between the male and female lead. I really liked it because of how relatable the female lead is. I know some people were frustrated with her but it’s because they don’t realize that Song Ah is an introvert and she isn’t like other female leads who are brave, extroverted and outgoing. It’s such a lovely journey to watch the drama so if you like slow-paced and slow-burn dramas, Do You Like Brahms is definitely that :D

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

New to the thread :relaxed:

Just finish watching episode 14 and.... hmmmm I agree with many here, I surely love lovey dovey moments with our couple but come on, his insistence put me on nerves for real, the palace is a dangerous place and he already knows all the red flags and people are constantly reminding him that and he still go and put her on danger... no words really...

About Jieun father I'll give him my trust for now, I think he'll as somebody say her, will turn and betray the evil grandpa, he already shows sign of being annoyed by him and the conversation he had with the commander Yoon about having choices in life was quite interesting. I think this will be the first time he'll able to choose, I hope for the good.

Waiting for the next episode, will be interesting how everything will turn from now on

• Blob 4

I had not expected for Hwi to become King in this way or rather this early, but then again, its good to see her become the King. What I found rather disappointing was that the Queen had very limited screentime and also very less involvement in the plot. I expected a lot more from her, wanted her to directly be involved in the conspiracies against Hwi and be the central figure in it all. It was underwhelming to see her do almost nothing and then be framed by Hwi's maternal Grandfather for King's murder and actually getting executed for it (or so it seems by the dialogue where someone said it must be hard for Prince Jehyeon having lost both his parents). 

I knew that Hwi would do her best to at least save Prince Jehyeon, and was happy that she somehow was able to do it successfully. While even I thought they would show the Royal wedding, wasn't surprised seeing it had already happened. The current Queen was already supposed to marry Hwi, if the whole crazy uncle killing himself and the appeals for CP's dethronement had not happened. 

I do feel very sad for the Queen here. She is trying very hard and Hwi while trying to be honest (as much as she can) with her, is more cold towards her. Of course explains why this is happening, there is a lot going on in Hwi's side. She knows that Maternal Grandfather can do anything to her closed ones, also cannot be with Ji Un, and also cannot really rule. She is just a puppet here, and so she cannot really think much about the Queen. We do see her being considerate and honest to her while sharing the same room, knowing the real feelings of the Queen. But it really is sad to see such a cheerful girl get confined within the Palace walls and her feelings not getting reciprocated. I really hope she will be able to meet her friend Shin So Eun and share whatever she is going through with her, but then again, with maternal grandfather around, I don't think we will see So Eun around since he will not let her father get back in capital. 

As for the kiss scene, and they getting caught by Ji Un's father. Honestly, I am rather disappointed with both of them being so careless in this. If it is revealed the King has been a woman and an imposter, she will be killed, and Ji Un will not be safe either. And even if they don't go that way, I don't really think anyone would accept a King having feelings for man and again both of their lives would be in danger. So yeah, it was really pretty stupid of them to do it all in the middle of the path in Palace :facepalm:

Now of course Ji Un's dad will be conflicted about this all, since this will definitely endanger his son's life. So I am interested how this will all pan out. I wouldn't be surprised if he does confront Hwi and strike up a deal with her, "Stay away from my son, send him out of palace, and I will keep your secret" sort of thing maybe. Currently I would say he is not the worst person to know, someone else knowing it would make things hard for her. But even in the preview we see them becoming rather bold kissing now and then, and Palace is a place where the walls have ears, and the pillars have eyes. If they continue this, things will get out of their hands. 

All I say is, a lot of lives have been sacrificed for Hwi to become the King, and many others will be in danger if her secret gets revealed. So I really expect her to be more careful in this. I was pretty sure that Jang Seok Jo would be the first to know that the King (or Crown Prince before) was not a man, but I had expected it to happen in some other way. Not this easily and with the leads being too careless in the middle of a path in open in the palace.

Sorry, but I had to rant about this, since I am still disappointed by this all :isannoyed:

Looking forward to the next week. I really do feel that this drama will turn dark pretty soon. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, ferily said:

. I think we are all paranoid from watching so many dramas that someone is always spying on our main leads :lol:

For @realistic2280a:

Hide contents

I LOVEE Do you like brahms and it’s one of my favorite dramas! It’s definitely more of a slow drama since the two main leads are introverts but it’s sooo amazing to see how things play out between the male and female lead. I really liked it because of how relatable the female lead is. I know some people were frustrated with her but it’s because they don’t realize that Song Ah is an introvert and she isn’t like other female leads who are brave, extroverted and outgoing. It’s such a lovely journey to watch the drama so if you like slow-paced and slow-burn dramas, Do You Like Brahms is definitely that :D

Hehe.. i think this is why they cast PEB as the King here... her voice is quite deep, dont you think?..... after seeing Do You Like Brahms, i see that connection(perhaps)... 

Yes, we watched too many dramas and we know where the plot might go and why sometimes the heros we think are doing things that are a danger to others... in this case their kissing...at some point, i would have wanted them to spent time at their little hut, where their first kiss occured.. but nope, he just had to lit the path and kiss her there... sigh...

It just tickels me to see PEB/Hwi - the King being short, as she walk among her ministers/officials ... or in between our male leads... when she was going to do a kiss scene, mentally im thinking, is she standing on a board or something, coz JiUn is so tall.. hehe

Kim gaon is like.. non essential to the whole plot...sigh.. :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

Looking back at the secret meeting between Hwi and Commander Yoon, I now have a theory why the Grandpa could possibly assassinate Dami sooner than I thought.  Per Dami, he has a private army that he could seize the palace whenever he wants, which means his ambition is not out of the realm that he desires to be king himself, if he successfully terminated Dami quickly.

I took a closer look to verify if that’s really Jiun’s dad raising his sword behind Dami in the preview, and I think it is him 99.99999%.  Not sure if Dami is really a target he intending to strike at or someone else.  Sometimes the preview could be misleading.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

I'm late again in watching ep 14 because I was busy these few days.

It's sad to see Jiwoon being so dispirited, working as a scribe. I didn't expect his father to really let him be at the palace after all the stunts he pulled (maybe he does care about his son). Talking about the father, Commander Jung (he got promoted from Inspector, right?) connect the dots about DamHwi's real identity is my personal favorite way in finding out a secret because that requires critical thinking (it's just my inner murder mystery fan talking lol).

Jiwoon is sure the master of surprise events with the lanterns and red ribbons. I'm also a master of turning a blind eye to people being stupid. DamHwi is used to taking walks alone at night so she just assumed there will be nobody there and well, Jiwoon is Jiwoon.

Hakyung is a sweet and cheerful girl who thinks she is living in a Joseon Disney fairytale but she doesn't realize she is actually in the wrong genre and not the main character. I hope she can find her true love, maybe a quiet knight in shining armor/hanbok?

The preview is intense, making me impatient for next Monday!

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

I have been wondering...why do all the male court officials have to wear their belt loosely???... i couldnt get the answer yet.. but came across this site which explains a bit on the attire worn by court officials in k-drama..

The article is over 10 years but still relevant..:D

https://thetalkingcupboard.com/2012/03/03/joseons-court-attire-kdrama-style/amp/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 3