[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Immortal Samsara 沉香如屑

sugarplum892

5 hours ago, impoppies said:

It would seem she is set on nursing that perceived grievance of hers. I am confused.

At first it is easier for me to sympathize with the male lead because he has such great responsibilities and his actions were understandable vs the female lead's actions seem rash and irrational but if I put myself in the female lead's mindset, I think her action is understandable. If we don't view the story as a third person, in the female's point of view (keep in mind that she was only 500 so years old vs YY who is 10,000+ years old and been through two major wars along with the burden of his 'dark' bloodline) YD pretty much have a very sheltered life, she doesn't have ambition to move up in her role but want to depend on her sister for protection with a dream of being a care-free good writer). Therefore, I can view her as very young and naive in her emotion and love. If you think about it, her love is absolute, when she loves YY, she is willing to sacrifice everything for him (her heart, the rule, and her life); therefore, when she is heartbroken, she did the most extreme deed (jump off the bridge) to sort of get back at him or prove her point. Yes, very illogical but this is a girl in love. Sort of like a teenage girl in love, the weight of love to YD is everything at this stage. When she thought he jumped off the bridge to save her, her hope rises again. Her emotion depends on him and all she wanted is his love in return, but he can't give her that. So, like a child, she said she will make him watch her forget about him, hurting herself in the process. Yet, she can't because a love this strong, beyond all the pain she suffers, can't be easily wipe out. 

Now, fast forward to the YD who regain back her memories and viewed all the suffering in the mortal realm, she is now 1,300+ years old vs TZ's 20 years old of human life. It is understandable that all she wants to do is to get away from him, to YD, TZ is just YY without his memories; therefore, whatever TZ does, or feel is only temporary. After being hurt, there is no way that YD will allow herself to love YY and absolutely not TZ. She been through the dream where they got married and have a kid, it is more painful when the dream ended as she knows YY will chose his responsibilities/duties and leave her behind.  Of course, she will not let it happen again, the pain is still raw to her.

Overall, both YD and YY's actions make sense based on their characters but the main barrier to their relationship is never the 'rule' but that they don't understand each other. (age-gap? lol) Therefore, they need to reverse their role in order to understand and grow to learn the proper way to love each other...which we will see as the story progress... 

• Like 2

Yup, I would like to think that they were mainly following the script/ novel.

Sometimes, the book reads better that the drama and the other way around.

It's difficult to put into filming some scenes which are great in the book. 

8 minutes ago, ElleSor said:

Yup, I would like to think that they were mainly following the script/ novel.

Sometimes, the book reads better that the drama and the other way around.

It's difficult to put into filming some scenes which are great in the book. 

I read the original novel. They really changed the story a lot in the drama. I agree with you sometimes the novel is better than the adapted drama. 

In the case of Immortal Samsara, the plot in the novel is more logical. Like how YY misunderstood that YD's sister was the one who saved him, his progress to figure out his feelings for YD, how YD came to love Yu Mo and chose to move on from her love for YY... they were all explained well and you feel the progress of the story is quite natural. In the drama, sometimes I feel that the script writers quite pushed it and the flow of the story isn't quite right.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rabbit_casa said:

I read the original novel. They really changed the story a lot in the drama. I agree with you sometimes the novel is better than the adapted drama. 

In the case of Immortal Samsara, the plot in the novel is more logical. Like how YY misunderstood that YD's sister was the one who saved him, his progress to figure out his feelings for YD, how YD came to love Yu Mo and chose to move on from her love for YY... they were all explained well and you feel the progress of the story is quite natural. In the drama, sometimes I feel that the script writers quite pushed it and the flow of the story isn't quite right.

I am sort of glad I didn't read the novel because I had enough of my favorite novel turned to drama and it didn't live up to it or plainly butchered the essence of the novel. Just curious, is the motive of YD's sister the same as the novel? That she pretends to be YD to gain higher ranking?

@杨过是大哥哥 Thanks for sharing - I literally survive the weekend by going through BTS, fanmade mv and video clips :joy:

8 hours ago, BreezeC said:

Just curious, is the motive of YD's sister the same as the novel? That she pretends to be YD to gain higher ranking?

No, YY mistook YD's sister for her is purely misunderstanding on YY's part. In the novel, YD's sister was actually YY's attendant and when he woke up, she was the first person he saw. Since he knew only the heart of a 4-leaves lotus could save him, he assumed it was YD's sister who saved him. It was never mentioned whether he told his assumption to YD's sister or not. He did treat YD's sister better and wanted to marry her for having saved him. YD saw all that and was heart broken but chosen to keep silent to suffer alone since she felt he should have recognized her (the result of being too young and immature, which she later admitted that she was too reckless).

YY first met YD when he was blind and did not know her appearance or her identity as a 4-leaves lotus, only her scent. He was also unaware of his feelings for her, being oblivious of his own feelings (the result of living for too long, I guess). Only after she jumped off the bridge that he realized his feelings. He then followed her to the mortal world, and only found her in his 7th life where he was Tang Zhou.

YD's sister in the novel is a much better person than in the drama, she appeared aloof and uncaring but always watched over YD and fiercely protected of her.

• Like 2

Episode 40, mid-episode. Inside the volcano.

It is official. The sword spirit is my fav character.

It seems to me what the male lead has been doing since deciding to pursue love, is precisely why love has to be forbidden for him.

As well as for folks such as the Demon Prince.

Spoiler

Did he and Purple truly facilitate or even bring on the second war?

I am hoping for some twist to come that will indicate otherwise.

I like the character and hope he will amount to something more than wilful, self-indulgent. That is how he as well as the current Tang Zhou come across to me right now. I am hoping for something more than merely kind and good. I want them to care more about their responsibilities.

With great power comes great responsibility or some such, and all.

Episode 40 and I am still enjoying the show. That makes me happy.

Laters.

Still on episode 40.

I feel for him. “可是,颜淡她不想见你。” Poor thing.

Oh well. A sad and hurting (yet retaining that characteristically haughty bearing of his) male lead is what I am here for. Especially this particular male lead.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, impoppies said:

Oh well. A sad and hurting (yet retaining that characteristically haughty bearing of his) male lead is what I am here for. Especially this particular male lead.

Oh yes - 200% agree with you! I can ignore the bad cutting/editing and the illogical flow of the story as long as there is good acting and character development. I think I have become a huge fan of Cheng Yi's acting. :fullofhearts:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@impoppiesOhh, Cheng Yi , I agree, is a master of portraying 

On 8/29/2022 at 10:49 AM, impoppies said:

A sad and hurting (yet retaining that characteristically haughty bearing of his) male lead

However, I'm very happy he took a different role in his new drama 

Spoiler

The Lotus Casebook 

We already will see, even in Immortal Samsara, that he could be very different - playing bad daddy Asura :w00t:

BTW, am I the only one who suspects 

Spoiler

Tao Zi Qi has her own agenda/is under Puppet Spell?

• Love 1

On 8/27/2022 at 3:46 PM, leo2020 said:

He tells the boy to close his eyes and makes an attacking move with the fan. You can even see the power blast from the fan. 

Emm, I should say the beginning of S2 is really boring. There are some great moments, but they obviously talk too much and the story barely moves forward. Hope to see more starting from ep47.

Want to finally see the story of YY's parents. So far, from that moments they've shown us (and the trailer), daddy really was a bad, very bad and cunning guy))). I'm very pleased to see they invited Cheng Yi for this role, in love with the character in advance, hehe :w00t:. Waiting for the beauty of all beauties Zhang Zhixi to finally appear and beat that arrogant guy hard:lol:. I love her:wub:

Ah ok ty! 
for some reason I feel that s2 is choppy like they edited it at the wrong places. The most recent episode 

Spoiler

(I think maybe I’m just going insane) you see yumo in the giant bucket thing pouring ice on himself. I don’t remember him getting hurt that bad where his fire spirit disappeared. It could just be That I still don’t really like the actor haha.

I do have to say taoziqi character acts so well. There’s always that sorrow and sadness in her eyes but now it’s like hm….. (funny compared to her character on LR too  )

Oh tomorrows episode should be the story. I saw it on the previews for Youku YouTube 

17 hours ago, Keekiii said:

for some reason I feel that s2 is choppy like they edited it at the wrong places. The most recent episode

Emm, I agree,  seems like during the last episode it was cut drastically, and the story progress is really not that smooth...

Spoiler

In one moment they are still running away and then- boom- they are already clean and healthy in water kingdom and reunited with YM, who is obviously injured like never before.... 

and YD said YM is unconscious??? and next thing we see he is sitting in that tub?!!! 

In addition, we now learned Zi Qi just casually killed (!!!) someone back than :crazy:...I now think it should be no HE for her and Liu Wei Yang... I'm now even more sure she has some hidden agenda, bcs she was asking YD about their plans and everything...very suspicious!

In addition they've decided to show us the main villain in advance :mellow:

Overall, honestly I hope there will be no more drasical story cuts. 

On 8/30/2022 at 7:04 AM, 杨过是大哥哥 said:

Somebody said this show will update daily until friday , to clear all remaining episodes till finale.

I was seeing if you had any updates on the showing schedule. According to the viewing calendar that I had seen, it says Thursday will be one episode then next Monday- wed will be the last 6? Not too sure too. Hopefully we won’t have to wait lol. 

5 hours ago, leo2020 said:

Emm, I agree,  seems like during the last episode it was cut drastically, and the story progress is really not that smooth...

Hide contents

In one moment they are still running away and then- boom- they are already clean and healthy in water kingdom and reunited with YM, who is obviously injured like never before.... 

and YD said YM is unconscious??? and next thing we see he is sitting in that tub?!!! 

In addition, we now learned Zi Qi just casually killed (!!!) someone back than :crazy:...I now think it should be no HE for her and Liu Wei Yang... I'm now even more sure she has some hidden agenda, bcs she was asking YD about their plans and everything...very suspicious!

In addition they've decided to show us the main villain in advance :mellow:

Overall, honestly I hope there will be no more drasical story cuts. 

I watched the episode a couple of times in case I missed something but nope… it’s like this and this all happened and nack. I remember you had said it was supposed to be 80(?) episodes and then cut down? But the things they cut and then showed doesn’t really flow or make any sense… 

I agree I hope there won’t be anymore esp since the ending is important. 

oh yeah @leo2020 regarding the dubbing and latest 

Spoiler

(Think you asked about this) but the voice is chengyi actual voice . The raspy fits the character but not sure if I like it that much 

Ugh

Spoiler

I hate when episodes end on cliff hangers like this one did. For some reason I felt that their story was also cut pretty bad.. it just seem so rushed and jumpy  I really hope the last few won’t be 

@Keekiii hi, yes, and the cuts seems to continue through the parents story...

I'm at this point very sad since it's so noticeable(((.

Spoiler

I remember I was watching Renascence and they also cut it, practically in a half but they managed to cut the whole arc of the plot with (I suppose) possible side stories,  so the main storyline was not that damaged. Obviously a lot was missing, but the result was ok. 

Here they seem to make cuts within the arcs, and the result is the story jumps from one scene to another, it's not, I would say, cohesive enough...

Re the voice- I actually like his voice and think it suits the bad daddy's character :D.  I'm honestly starting to have a kind of crush on bad daddy Asura:wub:, great job by CY)). 

Re the schedule- it's my understanding those who bought vip package will get all the episodes left tomorrow, and others-the next week. 

Spoiler

Normally the online site I shared with you posts all the episodes the VIPs get, so (fingers crossed) may be we could finish it tomorrow).