[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Immortal Samsara 沉香如屑

sugarplum892

2 hours ago, Keekiii said:

Ah just joined after seeing this and needed to response. 
I really dislike YuMo(yungmo? Or yumo?) this is the first time I’ve seen this actor too. At first I was a bit eh about his whole look.. (I hate how they add bangs to actors to represent them as “younger “ and then remove them as they mature in the drama) then I realized it’s also his acting. 
Now I’m not quite sure if it’s the voice actor that makes him seem bland and fake or just him… I’m going to watch him in something else just to compare and see. Sometimes the voice actor really just does not go well with the actor themselves. 

I personally think his acting is just meee...he is not able to get the right emotion, always with same face. And his "tragedy" is he has Cheng Yi as his "opponent" - who can deliver pretty anything brilliantly. I'm not sure if he is overdubbed or if it's his real voice. I can't say I have any problems with the voice, but IMO any dubbing actor can't help this particular actor...

2 hours ago, Keekiii said:

With this drama I felt it was rushed

Although I totally loved the intence beginning,  I understand your concern. I personally wonder what would they show us bcs the drama is 75- something episodes, so we are just 1/3 of the drama, and  I'm literally clueless what's up next))). 

I haven't read the novel, but I presume at some point we

Spoiler

should get back yo Heavenly Realm, and hopefully we will learn more re the past)

8 hours ago, leo2020 said:

I personally think his acting is just meee...he is not able to get the right emotion, always with same face. And his "tragedy" is he has Cheng Yi as his "opponent" - who can deliver pretty anything brilliantly. I'm not sure if he is overdubbed or if it's his real voice. I can't say I have any problems with the voice, but IMO any dubbing actor can't help this particular actor...

Although I totally loved the intence beginning,  I understand your concern. I personally wonder what would they show us bcs the drama is 75- something episodes, so we are just 1/3 of the drama, and  I'm literally clueless what's up next))). 

I haven't read the novel, but I presume at some point we

Reveal hidden contents

should get back yo Heavenly Realm, and hopefully we will learn more re the past)

Ohh yeah you def got that on point. I couldn’t really figure out what it was that made the actor so eh. But you’re 100% correct with the emotion. I feel like he also has this one emotion look even when crying. 

I did hear that this was supposed to be 80 episodes but they did have to cut it short. According to MyDramaList the first half is 38 episodes and second is 19 so 57 total? Still not really sure why they began doing this part 1 and 2. From what I remember blue whisper didn’t even seem like it should have been cut into two parts. 

question about so ep8 i’ll put up a spoiler in case 

Spoiler

When beiming is in pain and dying. What did YanDan do to relieve him of the pain towards the end? Saw it a few times and couldn’t figure out what it was. Also YuMo giving him his dragon scale (thought he was a fish lol) is there some sort of significance? Is it like the dragon scale in AOL ? Ty!

Edited by Keekiii
Added question

7 hours ago, Keekiii said:

I did hear that this was supposed to be 80 episodes but they did have to cut it short. According to MyDramaList the first half is 38 episodes and second is 19 so 57 total? Still not really sure why they began doing this part 1 and 2. From what I remember blue whisper didn’t even seem like it should have been cut into two parts. 

Oh,thanks, now I'm relieved,  but at the same time a bit nervous how such drastic cut might have effected the drama ...

In general productions began doing 2 parts to go around government regulation re the max number of episodes per drama. If I'm not mistaken it's 38 or 40.  If the production wants to have  more they can appeal to the officials in attempt to justify that they absolutely need more episodes for the sake of story development. Or, like they do it here, they found a way to just "split" the drama in 2 separate parts). I suppose the last method is quite simpler, so we will see more 2-part dramas in future.

Re ep 8, I'm not that proficient in how it all works, but it's my understanding 

Spoiler

YanDan used her healing eternal lotus powers. I'm not sure if it's her qi power though (she will use her qi power (and it would be specified), you'll see it in one of next episodes). 

Re the scale-it's my understanding he is not just a simple fish ,but smth dragon-like (he also has horns). I hope we are able to see his true form in future when he becomes more powerful. That scale is precious, seems to represent him, who he is and his real form, and I suppose has some power as well. Spoiler: you'll see he would give away another scale as a form of high appreciation in one of next episodes.

That's just my opinion from what I've seen and understood. I'm already at ep 22 and it's getting better for the 

Spoiler

Mortal Realm story)))

On 8/2/2022 at 4:33 PM, ElleSor said:

I haven't started a new episode yet.

I dunno...I'm wary about continuing.

I might just wait for this to finish and then marathon it later. 

I totally understand where your doubts come from. Many people rant about this drama for many reasons... and I agree it definitely has its flows.

It's the same for me for the drama I just dropped 

Spoiler

Love like a galaxy 

I decided to wait and marathon the second part later as well.

2 hours ago, 杨过是大哥哥 said:

i think YangZi actress is very suitable for this role , she does the comedy scenes very well.

She does, but it's my understanding she was desperate to shift to more serious and different roles, that's was one of the reasons she left her agency after this drama. 

7 hours ago, leo2020 said:

Oh,thanks, now I'm relieved,  but at the same time a bit nervous how such drastic cut might have effected the drama ...

In general productions began doing 2 parts to go around government regulation re the max number of episodes per drama. If I'm not mistaken it's 38 or 40.  If the production wants to have  more they can appeal to the officials in attempt to justify that they absolutely need more episodes for the sake of story development. Or, like they do it here, they found a way to just "split" the drama in 2 separate parts). I suppose the last method is quite simpler, so we will see more 2-part dramas in future.

Re ep 8, I'm not that proficient in how it all works, but it's my understanding 

Hide contents

YanDan used her healing eternal lotus powers. I'm not sure if it's her qi power though (she will use her qi power (and it would be specified), you'll see it in one of next episodes). 

Re the scale-it's my understanding he is not just a simple fish ,but smth dragon-like (he also has horns). I hope we are able to see his true form in future when he becomes more powerful. That scale is precious, seems to represent him, who he is and his real form, and I suppose has some power as well. Spoiler: you'll see he would give away another scale as a form of high appreciation in one of next episodes.

That's just my opinion from what I've seen and understood. I'm already at ep 22 and it's getting better for the 

Hide contents

Mortal Realm story)))

Oh ty so much for explaining everything phew so glad I found these forums. 
i went through the episodes. There’s a lot of small details in the episodes that are important least that’s how I feel. 

I wonder when the production law changed. Seems kinda odd… I remember story of minglan was almost 80 episodes. But hopefully they don’t introduce too much side stories and conflicts that don’t have time to get resolved. I remember blue whisper doing that.  

Where are you watching the super new episodes? I can only find them

on daily motion. But every few mins there’s 4-5 ads lol. I did read some articles that came out in china after the newest ep and wow does seem way more interesting. I just can’t get through some of the beginning ones cause the whole jealous women conflict. Makes me cringe 

6 hours ago, 杨过是大哥哥 said:

i think YangZi actress is very suitable for this role , she does the comedy scenes very well.

I agree! She’s a super good actress honestly can’t imagine anyone else. This role was made for her haha

1 hour ago, Keekiii said:

I wonder when the production law changed. Seems kinda odd… I remember story of minglan was almost 80 episodes. But hopefully they don’t introduce too much side stories and conflicts that don’t have time to get resolved. I remember blue whisper doing that.  

They changed the rules exactly to stop productions making the so-called "water injected dramas" - 80-smth episode dramas you've mentioned- with draggy meaningless side stories, long unnecessary flashbacks, etc. 

With Blue Whisper, it's my understanding the drama was cut after they finished, and initially they obviously had more episodes in mind and organized the filming according to that. The cut was relatively poor, I agree.

1 hour ago, Keekiii said:

Where are you watching the super new episodes? I can only find them

Sent you a pm).

Quick Poll: Kimchi Slap - Your Weapon of Choice?

YOU are PLAYING the Female Lead (FL) in a makjang kdrama/cdrama/Thai lakorn.

You're about to PRETEND to slap the annoying and evil 2nd FL who is trying to steal the man (Male Lead) you've been eyeing. What will  you use to slap her with?

Kimchi? Seaweed? Spaghetti?

tumblr_inline_pt2xv7WGQT1qcgu07_250.gifv

Please vote!

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @Sleepy Owl @confusedheart @agenth

I like how they string in side characters but all their wrong decisions were because of romance.

This was the signature of YuZheng producer since 8-9 years ago , his company HuanRui carry on this style of storytelling , turning all fights into tragic romance story via flashback scenes.

Unfortunately these detours of minor side missions make the show lose momentum , making it a more average show in the 6.5 to 7.0 region / 10

I think we expected more focus on the tragic story of central 2-3 characters ... overall it's alright as they have 70+ episodes ... some fillers in the middle is acceptable.

The songs are all good , i rate the songs and effort 9/10.

From quick memory I can only find 2 drama which did better in songs. 新萧十一郎 and 听雪楼

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 杨过是大哥哥 said:

I like how they string in side characters but all their wrong decisions were because of romance.

This was the signature of YuZheng producer since 8-9 years ago , his company HuanRui carry on this style of storytelling , turning all fights into tragic romance story.

Unfortunately these detours of minor side missions make the show lose momentum , making it a more average show in the 6.5 to 7.0 region / 10

I think we expected more focus on the tragic story of central 2-3 characters ... overall it's alright as they have 70+ episodes ... some fillers in the middle is acceptable.

I'm at ep 31, and I think the story is not that much of a side story,bcs

Spoiler

it involves Ying Deng and, consequently,  YanDan directly. It was not too draggy, very fast, "returned" Ying Deng to the picture, shaked Tang Zhou's "all spirits are evil" base more, returned YuMo's artifact to its rightful owner.

So not an obvious "filler"). Still very disappointing acting from YuMo actor. Although the character is very interesting, but that guy continues ruining it.

Re the story- from the previews it's my understanding the Mortal ark is also meant to be 

Spoiler

tragic? 

Ohh, and also I'm soo impatiently waiting for the truth re Ying Deng and her actions to come out :D. It will be very satisfying).

5 hours ago, leo2020 said:

Reveal hidden contents

it involves Ying Deng and, consequently,  YanDan directly. It was not too draggy, very fast, "returned" Ying Deng to the picture, shaked Tang Zhou's "all spirits are evil" base more, returned YuMo's artifact to its rightful owner.

So not an obvious "filler"). Still very disappointing acting from YuMo actor. Although the character is very interesting, but that guy continues ruining it.

Re the story- from the previews it's my understanding the Mortal ark is also meant to be 

Reveal hidden contents

tragic? 

based on youtube spoilers ....

Spoiler

yandan exposed and the humans try to "burn the witch"

male lead saves her infront of everybody .... this is the climax of the show

lamp spirit fully convert to dark side and ambush her at the reincarnate-water-world

they will recover their memory and she demand him to return the half heart ... he did it on the spot and died , she used her remaining half heart to save him a second time .... zero heart not expected to survive

male lead goes back and discover the current emperor is imposter by his jealous buddy who faked his death in early episode (after the snake battle)

unknown sub plot where they wear red for wedding while the male lead about to lose control of his mind or life

unknown sub plot where the male lead's living purpose is being the vessel  to revive his "mom" , unknown to him ... this sounds familiar to Love & Redemption 琉璃

personally I enjoyed the insert songs

feels really tragic , in other tv shows you will root for the couple to be together even though there were misunderstandings

for this show , it portrays the heartbreak and disappointment of the female lead . if she chooses to run away from the male lead .... there's no problem with that , full support ....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I couldn’t get past episode 2 and dropped it early on - couldn’t stand watching yet another Di Jun and junior xian nu story. Then recently, I picked it up again and started watching from about episode 20 when the mortal arc started. So far, I like watching Yang Zi - she’s cute, and her clothes are pretty, especially the pink outfit which really lights up her appearance. Not familiar with the two male leads so I am neutral to them. Haven’t caught up with this week’s episodes yet, but I am looking forward to them when I have time this weekend. 

1 hour ago, 杨过是大哥哥 said:

feels really tragic , in other tv shows you will root for the couple to be together even though there were misunderstandings

for this show , it portrays the heartbreak and disappointment of the female lead . if she chooses to run away from the male lead .... there's no problem with that , full support ....

It's my understanding that in the novel she actually 

Spoiler

stays with Yumo. And furthermore,they say the novel is not so concentrated on Cheng Yi 's character- more on Yan Dan -and I even read some comments criticizing this attention-shifting on his character. 

So we can just wait and see how it ends. 

I read your spoiler,  and actually it was already my prediction about smth like that happening, just after watching the poster with Li Xinze wearing red clothes. Ohh, I'm very sad for him. They tend to give him 

Spoiler

bad guy roles over and over again.

I was very happy for him to get that cute funny role in Time Flies And You Are Here, but here we go again (. 

I'm also waiting for Fu Fang Jun's character to return. 

1 hour ago, omiki said:

I couldn’t get past episode 2 and dropped it early on - couldn’t stand watching yet another Di Jun and junior xian nu story. Then recently, I picked it up again and started watching from about episode 20 when the mortal arc started. So far, I like watching Yang Zi - she’s cute, and her clothes are pretty, especially the pink outfit which really lights up her appearance. Not familiar with the two male leads so I am neutral to them. Haven’t caught up with this week’s episodes yet, but I am looking forward to them when I have time this weekend. 

the front part of episode 11 is very important  , skipping it is missing the jigsaw puzzle

it's linked to the insert song ...

the purpose is to confirm their husband-wife relationship and other external factors of reality denying it

around ep13 or 14 he broke down when he realize the time dilation is real and they spent 1 lifetime inside the dream , not just 1 night of real time
it's the main driving force that caused both of them to sacrifice everything to save each other.

• Like 1