[Drama 2022] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

“Pachinko” - a story by and about Korean diaspora - captivates the world

Although the series (which cost 100 billion won to make) features South Korean actors and was produced and directed by Korean Americans, it’s undeniably an American series, produced by the American company Apple. The extensive involvement of Korean Americans — Kogonada directed episodes 1-3 and 7, Justin Chon directed episodes 4-6 and 8, Theresa Kang-Lowe is an executive producer, Soo Hugh is the showrunner, and Jin Ha is in the cast — is highly unusual for an American show backed by a huge American investment.“

When we first talked about Pachinko four years ago, there were really no films or shows in which the entire cast was Asian. Crazy Rich Asians was a commercial success, but that hadn’t come out yet, and Parasite’s big win at the Oscars was still a few years away,” Kang-Lowe said.

While the series switches between Korean, Japanese and English and alternates between the past and present, the narrative of people who overcome trials and hardships has a power that transcends national borders.

Following its release, Pachinko received rave reviews. The Canada Globe and Mail said it’s “easily not just one of this year’s great dramas; it stands out as among the best of the past few years.”

Forbes called the series a “rare gem,” while Rolling Stone said it “combines the denseness of prose fiction with the specific advantages of television.”

A writer for Vulture said that while nothing “lasts forever [. . .] I do wish watching Pachinko could last forever.”

“Pachinko is a harrowing portrait of suffering balanced against an elating tale of familial resilience and female strength,” the Hollywood Reporter opined.

Review website Rotten Tomatoes gave Pachinko a rating of 98% fresh, based on reviews by 56 critics, along with an audience score of 95%.

Only in Japan — the country whose shameful past gets aired in the series — has Pachinko received little attention. Apple did release Pachinko in Japan, but it hasn’t promoted it there.

These positive reviews are driving interest in the next season of Pachinko, which wrapped up its first season with Episode 8 on April 29.“As you’re probably aware, we’d like to continue the series through Season 4. But we’ll have to wait and see about the timing,” Kang-Lowe said.

This is the beginning of global interest in and sympathy for the painful history of the Korean diaspora.

https://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_entertainment/1042830.html

IndieWire’s Consider This Brunch Returns with ‘Yellowjackets,’ ‘The Staircase,’ ‘Pachinko,’ ‘Outer Range,’ ‘Pam & Tommy’

Show creators talk about combining contradictory elements to make something great.

Perhaps no show had more elements to combine than “Pachinko,” Apple’s sprawling hit that has scenes taking place everywhere from South Korea in the 1910s to Tokyo in 1989. The show often ties the different eras together with subtle homages that you might miss if you look away at the wrong time. But for the show’s team, that’s a feature, not a bug. They determined that the only way to pull off such an epic project was to have faith in their audience.

“This show is in three different languages. It is about the past of Korea. It is about immigration to Japan. These are all topics that you may not necessarily see on television or on screen or film,” said executive producer Theresa Kang-Lowe. “The intention of the show was to treat the audience [with respect]… the audience is smarter than us, actually. So we don’t have to reveal everything.”

spacer.png

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/05/indiewire-consider-this-fyc-brunch-2022-recap-1234724343/

Get back into 'Russian Doll,' don’t miss 'Pachinko' and more things to do this weekend

Don’t know what to do this weekend? We’ve got you covered.

We don’t usually pick themes for our weekend recs, but when we do, we go all in. The theme of this week: time. “Pachinko” jumps through generations; ...

Travel through time in ‘Pachinko’

“Pachinko,” on Apple TV+, is a captivating drama that follows the story of a Korean family and the challenges it faces in a world dominated by both racism and economic inequality amid loss and other personal struggles. Based on Min Jin Lee’s bestselling novel of the same name, the series effortlessly combines multiple time periods, languages and storylines, demonstrating how world history is very much present in people’s everyday lives. New episodes of the miniseries debut every Friday. If you’re just starting to binge it now, do yourself a favor and don’t skip over the iconic opening credit scene: Its joyfulness helps to both frame the show and celebrate its characters.

https://www.protocol.com/entertainment/what-to-watch-april-15?rebelltitem=3#rebelltitem3

• Like 4

KT Film Production presents "LIVE at the AppleTV+ For Your Consideration event" at The Grove LA., featuring some of their tv drama series including 'Pachinko'. 

cr: leeminka71920 IG

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

• Like 6

cr: leeminka71920

Select costumes worn by Sunja and Hansu in Pachinko, featured at the AppleTV+ For Your Consideration event" at The Grove LA. This event not only features a Mugunghwa-themed (Rose of Sharon, Korea's national flower) photobooth backdrop for Pachinko and Mugunghwa seeds as the exclusive giveaway, it's the only drama out of the seven dramas featured at the event with its own costume display! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Pachinko EP.4 Tailor Shop Reproduction Space.
This is the place where Hansu and Isac had a nerve war.
The tailor shop where #LeeMinHo & Noh Sang-hyun performed their passionate performances.
Enjoy it vividly at Sunshine Studio!

Lotte Cinema "Pachinko" Theater Independent Free Preview Held This preview will be held for Lotte Cinema members by lottery with 300 people and 600 seats. It is expected to be the only opportunity to experience the flowing beauty of the popular "Pachinko" on the large screen of the theater.

• Like 5

lee_min_ho_revealed_what_is_the_message_

Lee Min Ho revealed what is the message inside Pachinko for all the public

'Pachinko' is Lee Min Ho's latest drama that has a deep message not only for Korea, but also for the whole world

By Leinad Chino MAY 15, 2022

Lee Min Ho had an amazing role in 'Pachinko', a series that continues to shock the audience that has watched it, what is the most important message of this K-Drama? The actor revealed it. We have been able to see Lee Min Ho in countless dramas with various themes. Her characters have become some of the most iconic characters on Korean television, and over time they have also become audience favorites. There is no doubt that this is a highly professional actor.

Minho's power to embody different characters is simply amazing, and he proved it very well in his latest drama 'Pachinko'. In this AppleTV+ series he played Ko Hansu, a shopkeeper who also had ties to the mafia, plus he had a forbidden relationship with a girl despite having a family. The critics and the public have received very well Pachinko and its plot, which takes us back a few decades when the Korean people had to travel to survive. And it is also Ko Hansu who takes action for his own survival, something that captivated Lee Min Ho when reading the script and what convinced him to participate in this production.

But Minho also revealed what is the deepest message that he found in Pachinko and that he hopes that all the public can also find it and take it as something for their life. What is the deepest message in Pachinko? Lee Min Ho has revealed it Previously, Lee Min Ho has already revealed the importance that Pachinko and Ko Han have had on him, this time he says what he found to be the deepest message of the series. Something that regardless of whether you are Korean or not, can come to identify you or make you see life in a different way. The depth of the narrative touched me enormously, not because it's the story of Korea specifically, but something that someone living in any era could relate to. I hope the audience will be challenged to think about what kind of life they're living and what direction they should be moving towards, by looking back at the present thorugh the past.

lee-min-ho-explains-the-message-behind-p

Perhaps Pachinko is revealing a story more about humanity than about any other teaching and it seems that it was something that really came to mind for Lee Min Ho that as an actor he has been able to learn more and more new things through his work. Lee Min Ho also revealed how he prepared for his role in Pachinko For Lee Min Ho, perhaps the most important thing was the emotions, because according to him, the eras change but the feelings do not. He wants the era that is portrayed in Pachinko to be the best it can be, so he worked hard preparing himself even though he didn't have that much time. He revealed that he did a lot of research and that the music also helped him focus on the times he was about to live through through his work on the series.

how-lee-min-ho-prepared-for-pachinko.jpg

What did you enjoy the most about Lee Min Ho in Pachinko? Without a doubt there were a lot of unforgettable moments of the actor in this series and his character Ko Hansu.

https://yaay.today/kdramas/Lee-Min-Ho-revealed-what-is-the-message-inside-Pachinko-for-all-the-public-20220515-0008.html

• Like 4

On 5/15/2022 at 2:49 AM, CarolynH said:

I spoke to my friend who is not into K-dramas, about Pachinko.  I asked her to watch Pachinko and give me her honest review.  I did tell her that I follow the actor Hansu.  She has yet to watch ep 7 & 8, but she said she likes it!  Yay!  I'm anxious to hear her review on episode 7!  I remember some of the criticism was it was too dark and some confused about the time line.  She said that she did not think it was too dark and had no problem following the story in the 1920-30s vs 1980s.  She's the type who would have definitely said she didn't like it, so an unbiased review!

hai @CarolynH Carol. :D every second every minute every hour every day it's you that I've been thinking of. it's you ultimately that means I'm referring to honest review. so I got new changes from honest review to an unbiased review. oh there it goes. from now on, this new words an unbiased review added to my dictionary, should I use this? an unbiased review was running on my mind. :D I wanted to thank you for your kind recommendation. :D

tumblr-2d8969d0918631f878bd4ec6dc81081a-

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Lotte Cinema, 21st place Lee Min Ho → Exclusive screening of Yoon Yeo Jung's "Pachinko"

BF.29990304.1.png

You can watch the first season of the Apple TV+ original series Pachinko at Lotte Cinema.

On the 16th, Lotte Cinema announced, "The first season of the Apple TV+ Original Series Pachinko will be shown exclusively in theaters." The preview will take place at 14:00 on the 21st at the Lotte Cinema World Tower, showing episodes 1 to 3 of Pachinko Season 1.

This preview will be held with 300 people and 600 Lotte Cinema member lottery seats. In this preview, you can feel the elegant visual beauty of Pachinko, which has been well received on the big screen of the cinema so far.

A spokesperson for Lotte Cinema said: “Theatrical presentations of alternative content are satisfied with the big screen and the immersive feel of the sound. I will,” he said.

On the other hand, the original Apple TV+ series “Pachinko” is based on the best-selling book of the same name by writer Lee Min-jin, and the story begins with forbidden love. Traveling to and from Korea, Japan and the United States, this work depicts an unforgettable chronicle of war and peace, love and separation, victory and judgment.

Depicting the hopes and dreams of a Korean immigrant family, this work has been well received both at home and abroad for its passionate acting, rich storytelling, and visual beauty based on a true story.

Kang Min-kyung, Tenasia staff correspondent

Translation from Korean google

https://tenasia.hankyung.com/movie/article/2022051688384#_enliple

• Like 4

Pachinko: a stunning depiction of immigration, family, and sacrifice

I absolutely fell in love with Lee’s storytelling and her matter-of-fact writing style. Although each character experiences racial, economic and gender-based discrimination, the writing is not emotionally charged. The characters within the novel tackle their hardships with grace and dignity, never complaining and always striving to do better. I admired each character for their ability to be patient with the ups and downs of life, each using their setbacks as a learning experience. My favorite part about the novel is that nothing is written in black and white; Lee’s characters are human and complex, filled with contradictions and faults. You will find yourself hating a character’s actions but loving them for their intentions or at least understanding what led to their decisions.  

As I was reading Pachinko and slowly coming to the end of the novel (by that, I mean I was trying not to finish the book because I didn’t want it to end), I began to notice that every character’s strength was ultimately their downfall. Lee writes this subtly, and so it was not until l a disagreement between two characters that I picked up on this trope. Once realized, it was hard to not see this similarity among the other characters. Supposed strengths like love, self-improvement, obedience, protectiveness, and selflessness were ultimately the downfall of each character. I found this interesting because these characteristics do not seem important until the end, and prior to this, they seemed admirable. “Pachinko” provides lessons throughout the novel, but I think perhaps the greatest one is that balance is necessary to ensure not only your own happiness, but the happiness of those around you.  

“Pachinko” by Min Jin Lee is honestly one of the best books I have ever read, and I completely understand all the praise it has received. The novel is a stunning depiction of immigration, family, and sacrifice, and I cannot compliment this novel enough. Everyone needs to experience this novel; you should go buy it right now! 

https://tnhdigital.com/21376/opinion/pachinko-a-stunning-depiction-of-immigration-family-and-sacrifice/

K-drama review: 'Pachinko' is an epic saga of love, loss, longing and resilience

How does one share the visceral experience that is this show called Pachinko? I suddenly find myself struggling with words to explain how a story that begins with a father’s love for his daughter becomes this epic room inside your heart where Kim Sunja and her whole family resides, flaws and all. This is a story that crosses four generations and three countries, but there’s not a tear you want to miss nor do you stop counting the moments of sigh-inducing love.

We know how Sunja’s mother begged for rice (which Koreans were not allowed to eat when the Japanese occupied Korea) so she could give Sunja and her new husband a taste of Korea before they left for Japan. That scene is so beautifully shot, you’d think it’s sheer poetry. She’s wearing blue and the bowl in which she’s making that precious rice is black. When the rice comes to a boil, it’s so white and hot, you can almost taste the goodness, and gasp when the steam rises. It is the taste of home for Sunja. Sharing that same bowl of rice years later with Han Geum Ja brings back memories of home for Sunja. How will Solomon understand this?

There are two directors. One knows how to capture masterfully every nuance, every texture in closeups. And the other makes you sigh when he brings alive Korea as well as Japan: in the cove where the girls do laundry, where Sunja makes love in the forest, the fish market bustling with people, the Japanese neighbourhood, the dash that Solomon makes to step out into the rain and dance with abandon… I don’t know where to stop sighing over so much perfection. But the closeups of young Sunja partaking of the rice with her new husband, or the close up of Isak who looks at Sunja with so much love…

Eight episodes of such intense poetry in camerawork is rarely seen. And yet, the opening credits are accompanied by this mad song (and dance) shot at the Pachinko parlour, as if the director duo was teasing us to ‘Live for today’. The whole story is about the past. And while jumps between the past and the present can be annoying, this show manages to make those transitions so smooth that you begin to see the parallels in the situations…

The show takes on a life of its own as a visual feast, and having read the book, I also understand why the show takes liberties with the story. I’m not complaining, I’m in love with the strength in the characters the author has created. I found myself remembering my grandmother who joined India’s struggle for freedom. Indian fiction, too, has many such stories of sacrifice and strength in the face of seemingly endless hardships. Just as the nails in the Pachinko machine need to be adjusted so not everyone wins, you come back again and again to events and characters you wish would turn out to have a happy ending.

History teaches you about winners and losers, the aggressors and the oppressed. But the story of hope lives somewhere between the two.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/trends/entertainment/k-drama-review-pachinko-is-an-epic-saga-of-love-loss-longing-and-resilience-8509641.html

• Like 5

The Ikuno Ward set built for #Pachinko,the Korean ghetto in Osaka circa 1931.The result of innumerable hours of research, design, logistics, paint, decoration & graphic design all under the direction of production designer.

cr: harvestking, machi6221

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Tight and addictive historical drama: because Pachinko is a series that will conquer all

Apple Luxury Products is one of the best series of the year. And much of the credit - along with weaving and re-enacting 70 years of oriental history - goes to Lee Min Ho, a Korean superstar with 30 million followers.

Lorenza NEGRI May 16, 2022

Four years of production cost as much as the entire Game of Thrones, and as the main character the most beloved actor of the East. The effort that turned Pachinko, an impressive mural released on Apple TV+ on March 25 last year, into a series that is definitely one of the best this 2022 has ever seen. And it will undoubtedly bring many Emmy and Golden Globe awards. In fact, both the public and compact critics love it when he defines it as a fictional masterpiece.

A rather loose transposition of Min Jin Lee's best-selling novel (The Korean Wife; one of Obama's favorite novels of 2021), Pachinko is another sanctification of the famous k-drama (a genre of which Squid Game is the most famous example). In turn, the latest expression of the rampant popularity of Korean nouvelle is vaguely represented by Parasite and Minari.

And the latter's protagonist Yoon Yoo-jeong, the first Korean to win an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, is tasked with interpreting the series' heroine Sunju. And his hectic existence from childhood to old age, spanning 70 years and three countries: Korea, Japan and the United States.

History of Sunya, history of the world

Born in the 1920s, Sunja is the daughter of two rural Korean outcasts who are united by love and terrible misfortune. Wise and cautious, however, the girl succumbs to the seduction of a rich and powerful man, irresistibly attractive. Unfortunately, he is married to the daughter of the Yakuza - the Japanese mafia, who made him his right hand and for whom he combines business with the Koreans (at that time enslaved by the Japanese Empire).

For Sunji, meeting Koh Hansoo (Lee Min Ho) is a defining event for her entire future, a love story on the cusp of a turbulent historical period marked by wars and the nickname zainichi, which the Japanese referred to Korean immigrants. in the cities of the Land of the Rising Sun.

It is also the story of her children, her grandchildren, her mother and daughter-in-law, her husband and Hansoo, and a chronicle of four eras before the 1980s of American yuppies, the Westernization of the East, and playing Japan's favorite gambling game, Pachinko. Immigrants often run playrooms, which have enriched many naturalized Japanese Koreans.

The young Sunja is played by Kim Min Ha, a near-debut actress with impressive talent. Her character speaks little and suffers a lot, and has a Dickensian penchant for self-immolation (Dickens is also writer Ming Jin Lee's favorite author). His sense of duty is unwavering, his seriousness exemplary. But Sunya lives with a huge guilt: because of the connection with a cruel and ruthless gangster. Formally the protector of her and her family (who would not have survived without her attention).

Lee Min Ho, pachinko star

The differences between the series and the novel can be summed up in the presence of Lee Min Ho, almost a deity in South Korea. The 35-year-old actor became an idol over a decade ago with "Boys Over Flowers". the seminal teen drama for a generation; recalled by dozens of Asian brands, as well as Hugo Boss and Fendi, today he is one of the most important influencers on the planet with an Instagram profile of thirty million followers.

Soo Hye, the show's producer, capitalized on her massive popularity by greatly expanding the character of Ko Hansoo. In fact, he did more: turned him from a tough and opaque bad boy to a bad boy with a tragic past and an irresistible look.

Lee Min Ho admitted to being inspired by The Godfather's Al Pacino and gangster stories from the 1940s, but costume designer Chae Kyung-hwa dressed Hansoo as a cross between the handsome Lucky Luciano and the very elegant Al Capone: wrapped in flawless stripes, clothes crowned with borsalino, the charm of a beauty from other times, a face of a dangerous and vengeful type.

Reconstruction era

The narrative dedicates the most spectacular episode of Pachinko to Hans , revealing the dramatic past in a fascinating and thorough historical reenactment . Delightfully manic. The market sequence is copied from historical images to original fabrics from the thirties and sixties.

This austerity gives the setting a palpable realism, so powerful that it makes the atmosphere of the series palpable, heavy with melancholy and chagrin. Brilliantly presented, however, by the pastel-colored opening theme, in which the costumed actors indulge in wild and joyful dancing (with the exception of Lee Min-ho, who stated that he "doesn't even dance dead").

However, it's not just Sunja and Hansoo - a lot of sad and cute characters revolve around them, such as Kyung Hee's sister-in-law and Isak's husband (Sense8's gorgeous supermodel Steve No).

And the end result is an intense and touching drama of the time, never pompous or sentimental, a hymn to the willpower and resourcefulness of Asian immigrants (most of Pachinko's own producers and actors are American descendants of Korean exiles), a woman celebrated through history as both ordinary and extraordinary.

Translation from italian google

https://www.iodonna.it/spettacoli/tv/2022/05/16/pachinko-serie-tv-apple-tv-trama-cast-k-drama-lee-min-ho/

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

Korean superstar reappears in the first half of 2022: Lee Min Ho successfully transforms

Noodle Quang 11:05 - 17/05/2022

The last few months have definitely been a happy time for Korean moviegoers as a number of well-known actors have returned one after the other. Without thinking twice, I can name a bunch of names like Son Ye Jin with Thirty Nine, Park Min Young with Forecasting Love And Weather, Kim Tae Ri with Twenty Five Twenty One, Lee Min Ho with Pachinko, Ji Chang Wook with Sound Of Magic... So let's evaluate what the reappearance of these major stars is like.

Lee Min Ho

ocr

After a hiatus in 2021, Lee Min Ho reappeared in 2022 with Pachinko with a completely different look than his previous roles. Although it's just a web drama and not a TV show, I think this Hallyu superstar comeback is more successful than The King: Eternal Monarch drama, which was predicted to be very popular... 

ocr

Ko Han Soo's role in Pachinko is a strong transformation of a male god born in 1987. In particular, Ko Han Soo is not a gentleman in love affairs.

For me, Lee Min Ho's comeback is extremely successful and impressive, proving his acting ability and not being monotonous, as long as he dares to challenge, the results will be sweet...

This 2022 is indeed a flourishing year for Korean TV with many hot movies being released and big stars appearing very loudly as well. Although there are successful returns, there are also unsuccessful ones, but I always look forward to the return of big stars, because they will attract and make the audience look forward to the film. I hope the second half of 2022 will also be full of good works and famous stars again.

Translation from Vietnamese google

https://www.dienanh.net/lee-min-ho-va-dan-sieu-sao-xu-han-tai-xuat-nua-dau-2022-ra-sao-48446.html

• Like 2

Spoiler

On 5/17/2022 at 6:53 PM, nina_mitrokhina said:

After a hiatus in 2021, Lee Min Ho reappeared in 2022 with Pachinko with a completely different look than his previous roles. Although it's just a web drama and not a TV show, I think this Hallyu superstar comeback is more successful than The King: Eternal Monarch drama, which was predicted to be very popular but then turned into a "bomb" in an episode 2 last year.

There you go again. Please exercise discernment whenever you post articles. You need not copy-paste the whole thing, especially those unfounded negative opinions. As I said before, amidst the negative publicities online, we can make this Soompi platform positive to support our favorite artists. Please edit your post above. Thank you.    

Lee Min Ho’s ‘Pachinko’ To Release in Theaters

In celebration of "Pachinko's" success, the Lee Min Ho and Kim Min Ha starred drama will meet the viewers again, but this time, in cinemas!  

Lotte Cinema to Screen Apple TV +'s 'Pachinko'

On May 16, media outlet announced that the Korean drama "Pachinko" is confirmed to make its theater debut this month. In addition to the good news, season 1 episodes 1 to 3 will be screened at the Lotte Cinema World Tower on May 21 in South Korea. 

Unfortunately, it will only be available in the said country and no confirmation yet whether it will also be screened internationally.

Lotte Cinema shared:

"The scheduled preview is the only opportunity to feel the luxurious visual beauty of 'Pachinko,' which has been well received in various countries."

The official added that the alternative theater screening of the drama content provides a sense of immersion, in which viewers can enjoy a more intense experience through bigger screens.

Lotte Cinema also mentioned they will continue to try to expand alternative content to a wider area to give new experiences to viewers. Hence, other details for ticket purchase can be found on the Lotte Cinema's official website.

Lee Min Ho and Kim Min Ha to Reunite in 'Pachinko' Season 2

Apple TV+ original series "Pachinko" is based on a best-selling book of the same name penned by Korean-American Lee Min Jin. It tells the story of the unforgettable chronicle war, peace, love, and separation, victory and judgement between the countries of Korea, Japan, and the United States. 

The drama was first released on March 25 and received rave reviews. Its rich narratives, actors, and overall visuals were lauded by the audience.

Due to the enthusiastic response abroad, "Pachinko" is already confirmed for season 2. However, the scheduled filming and other details for the sequel are still confidential. But its lead stars Lee Min Ho and Kim Min Ha will make their return in the upcoming new season. 

This series became Kim Min Ha's big break in her entire acting career since she debuted in the campus romance drama "School 2017." 

Lee Min Ho surprised many by his revelation that it was his first time to audition for a role in a project. Usually, he receives scripts and casting offers.

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/125066/20220516/lee-min-ho-pachinko-release-theaters.htm

Follow "Pachinko" to wander the beautiful scenery, and the live broadcast of the Korea Tourism Organization will take you to play

The Korea Tourism Organization will broadcast the lecture "Wandering in Korea with "Pachinko" and introduce the shooting scenes of "Pachinko".

spacer.png

The Apple TV+ original drama "Pachinko" tells the story of four generations of immigrant families. Excellent actors such as Lee Min Ho, Yoon Yoo Jung, Kim Min Ha, etc., present the immigrant's indomitable will to survive in the face of foreign dilemmas in three languages. The show was filmed all over South Korea. The Korea Tourism Organization will hold a lecture on "Walking in South Korea with "Pachinko" on LINE Travel at 18:00 on 5/19 (Thursday), which will lead the audience through the story line of the plot. Indirectly experience the beauty under the camera in the play.

The popularity of "Pachinko" has continued since its launch. In order to shoot this drama, the production team not only shot scenes in the well-known South Korea's Hancheon Movie Theme Park, Suncheon drama shooting location, Nonsan Sunshine Park, and Sunshine Studio drama shooting site, but also through created the early 20th century Korean local attractions, such as Andong Hahoe Village, Gyeongju Yangdong Village, Chungmudong Coastal Market, etc.

Most of the filming locations of the heroine Sunja in her childhood and teenage years are located in Hahoe Village of Andong and Yangdong Village of Gyeongju, both of which retain the style of houses and villages in the Joseon Dynasty, and are also included in UNESCO World Culture. The scenes of Sunja's return to South Korea were taken at Busan’s Yeongdo Gamji Seaside and Chungmu-dong Coastal Market. Busan is an important distribution center in the history of Korean fishery development in the 1960s. Walking on the beach is more relaxing.

https://www.mirrormedia.mg/story/20220516ent027/

• Like 5

2 hours ago, syntyche said:

There you go again. Please exercise discernment whenever you post articles. You need not copy-paste the whole thing, especially those unfounded negative opinions. As I said before, amidst the negative publicities online, we can make this Soompi platform positive to support our favorite artists. Please edit your post above. Thank you.    

@syntyche, I understand your feelings, because I myself really love the drama "The King: Eternal Monarch" and admire the performance of Lee Min Ho in this drama. But when I translate articles, I try to be objective, even when the opinion of the author of the article does not coincide with mine. Here is another specific example. Article on the same topic, but with a strange comparison:

ocr

Top Korean stars who came back in 2022: Lee Min Ho no longer a one-trick pony?

May 17, 2022

The first half of 2022 has been filled with K-drama projects that star the top Korean actors and actresses.

It has been a pretty great time to be a K-drama fan, seeing that big names have constantly appeared in recent works. For example, we have Son Ye Jin with “Thirty Nine”, Park Min Young with “Forecasting Love and Weather”, Kim Tae Ri with “Twenty Five Twenty One”, Lee Min Ho with “Pachinko”, and most recently, Ji Chang Wook with “The Sound of Magic”. So, below are how these works have performed with such stars in their cast list.

Lee Min Ho

After not having any new work for 2021, Lee Min Ho returned in a completely different image for the 2022 series “Pachinko”. While the series is exclusive to Apple TV+, it managed to achieve better reviews compared to Lee Min Ho’s previous work “The King: Eternal Monarch”, which ended up performing below expectations.

ocr

Lee Min Ho returned in a completely different image for the 2022 series “Pachinko”

In “Pachinko”, Lee Min Ho transformed into Koh Han Su, the first love interest of the female lead. This character first appeared just as rich as Lee Min Ho’s previous character, but as the show went on, managed to show more complexities with his turbulent past and jaded personality.

ocr

In “Pachinko”, Lee Min Ho transformed into Koh Han Su, the first love interest of the female lead

Lee Min Ho’s 2022 return has truly proven the megastar as more than a one-trick pony, and is an evidence that challenges are no issue to the actor.

https://kbizoom.com/top-korean-stars-who-came-back-in-2022-lee-min-ho-no-longer-a-one-trick-pony/

• Like 2

Apple TV tw update

Food plays an important role in #Pachinko. Flavors stir up emotions, generations are brought together over meals and cooking becomes a glimmer of hope.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

Feinberg Forecast: First Read of Emmys Race

The Hollywood Reporter's awards expert assesses 17 categories.

PLEASE NOTE: This forecast, assembled by The Hollywood Reporter‘s awards columnist Scott Feinberg, reflects his best attempt to predict the behavior of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, not his personal preferences. He arrives at these standings by drawing upon consultations with voters and strategists, analysis of marketing and campaigns, results of awards that precede the Emmys and the history of the Emmys itself. There will be regular updates to reflect new developments.

*BEST DRAMA SERIES*

Spoiler

Frontrunners
Succession (HBO)
Squid Game (Netflix)
Ozark (Netflix)
Better Call Saul (AMC)
Stranger Things (Netflix)
Yellowstone (Paramount)
Winning Time (HBO)
Euphoria (HBO)

Major Threats
This Is Us (NBC)
Severance (Apple)
Yellowjackets (Showtime)
Bridgerton (Netflix)
The Morning Show (Apple)
Pachinko (Apple)
Tokyo Vice (HBO Max)

Major Threats

Pachinko (Apple)

*BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES*

Spoiler

Frontrunners
Lee Jung-jae (Squid Game) — podcast
Jeremy Strong (Succession) — podcast
Brian Cox (Succession) — podcast
Jason Bateman (Ozark) — podcast
Kevin Costner (Yellowstone)
Sterling K. Brown (This Is Us) — podcast

Major Threats
Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul) — podcast
Adam Scott (Severance)
John C. Reilly (Winning Time)
Quincy Isaiah (Winning Time)

Lee Min-Ho (Pachinko)
Gary Oldman (Slow Horses) — podcast
Josh Brolin (Outer Range)
Milo Ventimiglia (This Is Us) — podcast
Justin Hartley (This Is Us)
Jeremy Renner (Mayor of Kingstown)

Major Threats
Lee Min-Ho (Pachinko)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES*

Spoiler

Frontrunners
Jung Ho-yeon (Squid Game) — podcast
Sarah Snook (Succession)
Julia Garner (Ozark) — podcast
J. Cameron Smith (Succession)
Christina Ricci (Yellowjackets)
Sydney Sweeney (Euphoria)
Maude Apatow (Euphoria)
Hunter Schafer (Euphoria)

Major Threats
Patricia Arquette (Severance)
Rhea Seehorn (Better Call Saul) — podcast
Millie Bobby Brown (Stranger Things)
Julianna Margulies (The Morning Show)
Kim Joo-ryung (Squid Game)
Lisa Emery (Ozark)
Chrissy Metz (This Is Us)
Susan Kelechi Watson (This Is Us)
Yuh-Jung Youn (Pachinko)

Major Threats

Yuh-Jung Youn (Pachinko)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/feinberg-forecast-emmys-2022-predictions-1235143523/

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, CarolynH said:

My Apple TV subscription ended :bawling:  Hopefully, I can active my Target Circle bonus for another 3 months.  

I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription soon. I'll re-activate for season 2, since I only subscribed for Pachinko :) 

• Like 3

Lee Min Ho’s Pachinko Announces Theater Release

Apple TV+ teams up with Lotte Cinema to release Pachinko in theaters.

By Geca Flores

ocr

Apple TV+’s Pachinko, which stars Lee Min Ho, Kim Min Ha, Youn Yuh Jung, and more, is set to reach a wider audience.

The platform is teaming up with Lotte Cinema to commemorate the success of the novel-based tv show.

Pachinko Episodes 1 to 3 Scheduled to Release in Theaters

According to a local media outlet, the eight-part episode series will be released on the big screen.

While Pachinko originally premiered via Apple TV+, the audience would get a chance to watch episodes 1 to 3 at the Lotte Cinema World Tower at 2 pm on May 21.

As reported, a representative from Lotte Cinema added that this is to allow the public to witness the “elegant visual beauty of Pachinko,” which has been receiving tremendous praise globally.

Following the announcement, viewers may apply for the preview event on the Lotte Cinema website.

In addition, as part of the treat, selected winners will get a chance to receive a 3-month subscription from Apple TV+.

Is Pachinko Worth Watching?

Directed by Kogonada and Justin Chon, Pachinko is based on the New York Times bestseller of the same name, penned by Min Jin Lee.

It follows the story of Korean immigrants through the eyes of Sunja.

Set in the 1990s, a beautiful Korean woman had an unplanned pregnancy that brought shame to their family,

Deserted by her lover, who has a family back in Japan, Sunja was saved by a minister after he offered her marriage and promised to bring her to Japan and start a new life.

Viewers witnessed the female character’s bravery and faith despite the obstacles that came her way. Apart from this, Pachinko also illustrates judgment, war, and love, which were portrayed beautifully, thanks to the cast members’ stellar performance.

Playing the role of teenage Sunja is South Korean newcomer Kim Min Ha while Academy Award winner Young Yuj Jung portrays the older version.

Meanwhile, Lee Min Ho took the viewers’ breath away after portraying a surprising character. Far from his usual roles in K-drama, the Hallyu star delivered a stunning portrayal of the enigmatic wealthy fish broker Ko Hansu.

Joining the star-studded Pachinko cast includes Jin Ha as Solomon Baek, Japanese–New Zealander actress Anna Sawai and more.

Apple TV+ Confirms Pachinko Season 2

After the TV+ series aired its first three episodes, Pachinko received a wave of the overwhelming response from viewers and critics.

Per Rotten Tomatoes, Lee Min Ho and Kim Min Ha’s K-drama scored 98 percent on the Tomatometer while 95 percent on the audience score.

Due to this, the streaming platform officially confirmed that Pachinko would return for season 2.
Ahead of its season finale, the series creator, writer, showrunner, and executive producer, Soo Hugh, expressed deep gratitude for “being able to continue telling the extraordinary story of this indomitable family.”

As obtained by Soompi, the Pachinko creator said that it is “an honor to be able to continue working with this amazing cast and crew,” which basically means the Apple TV+ series will make a comeback.

As fans look forward to the highly anticipated sequel, the series creator did not reveal hints, including cast members who will reprise their roles.

Stay tuned to EpicStream for the latest news and updates about the Apple TV+ series Pachinko.

https://epicstream.com/article/lee-min-ho-pachinko-announces-theater-release

• Like 4