[Drama 2022] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

“Pachinko” Star Kim Min Ha Talks About Her Emotional Reaction To Season 1 Finale, Playing A Mother, And More

spacer.png

In a recent interview and pictorial for Elle magazine, “Pachinko” star Kim Min Ha dished on her experience filming the hit drama and more!

Based on the best-selling novel of the same name by Min Jin Lee, “Pachinko” is a multi-generational saga of war and peace, love and separation, and victory and judgment that spans Korea, Japan, and the United States. Last month, Apple TV+ announced that the star-studded show had been renewed for a second season.

When asked how she felt after the end of Season 1, Kim Min Ha remarked, “Out of all the months in my life, it was the month that went by the fastest. I fell deeply into enjoying the drama from the very first episode, and I was sobbing while I watched the last episode.”

As for the response to her acting that made her the happiest, Kim Min Ha revealed that she was most pleased by “being praised for my Busan satoori [dialect].”

spacer.png

“Pachinko” marked Kim Min Ha’s first time playing a mother, and the actress confessed that she had initially been worried about whether she’d be able to pull it off. However, all of those concerns melted away when she met her on-screen son on set.

“Right up until filming began, I was really worried,” she recalled, “but when I actually saw Noa [Park Jae Jun], I naturally felt a protective instinct towards him. Jae Jun also called me ‘Fake Mom’ and was great at following my lead.”

In terms of her personality and life philosophy, Kim Min Ha shared, “I’m the type of person who has a lot of curiosity. I think that when I find something fun or appealing, I easily think to myself, ‘Should I try it once?'”

The actress also went on to reveal that she’s gained inner strength and peace in recent years. “Starting from three years ago, I’ve been meditating consistently and trying to find my own unique rhythm, and that’s given me a certain freedom and sense of ease,” she explained. “Which, in turn, has made it possible for me to take care of the people around me.”

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://www.soompi.com/article/1526832wpp/pachinko-star-kim-min-ha-talks-about-her-emotional-reaction-to-season-1-finale-playing-a-mother-and-more

Critics’ Conversation: Finding Gems Beyond Spring TV’s True-Crime Glut

Small screens were flooded with fact-based dramas about murder and fraud, but standouts of the past few months included a luminous literary adaptation, comedies both silly and substantial and returning shows in fine, feisty form.

HAN I think “a reason for existing” is the key phrase here. Maybe that’s why some of the season’s more interesting shows are ones that feel grounded in a real-world context but give themselves room to play and innovate within it.

I was moved by the way Pachinko (Apple TV+) jumped back and forth through its timeline (in a departure from the Min Jin Lee novel on which it’s based) to reflect on the ways in which our pasts — as individuals, but also as entire communities and countries — never truly leave us, even as we try to forge new futures.

FIENBERG As different as Pachinko is from its source material, they share an epic scope and emotional richness. With evocative period style, a deep and star-making ensemble and the most joyful credit sequence on television, the show continues a recent Apple TV+ hot streak.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-reviews/critics-conversation-sprint-tv-true-crime-1235147256/

Korean Economic Life and Culture

Japanese colonial era The original Apple TV+ drama "Pachinko," which depicts the life of a Korean family in Japan, is a novel of the same name published in 2017. It was published in 2017 by Korean-American writer Lee Min-jin, who graduated from Yale University and Georgetown University Law School. Since its publication, Pachinko has been named the New York Times bestseller and has also been nominated for the National Book Award. With the drama gaining worldwide popularity, the author and the book are drawing attention again.

The artist won the "TRAILBLAZER HONOR" at the KACF-SF (San Francisco Korean Community Foundation) fundraiser in San Francisco on the 14th (local time). Shortly after the fundraising event, KACF-SF hosted a fireside chat with the author and chef David Chang, a culinary researcher who received the award together. I summarized the story that came out on this day.

https://www.hankyung.com/life/article/202205183009i

"Isaac" Roh Sang-hyun of "Pachinko" reveals interview with German magazine "ICON"

spacer.png

Roh Sang-hyun caught the eye by giving off his own charm with clear features and strong eyes in a pictorial with the famous German magazine "ICON." 

Roh Sang-hyun, who played the role of "Isaac," a faithful pastor from Pyongyang and a savior for "Sunja" (Kim Min-ha), who was in the abyss of misfortune in "Pachinko," continued his honest story from behind the casting to his thoughts on acting.

He explained his character, saying, "Isaac not only exceeds the limit, but always tries to change the world by helping others in his ability." He also said, "At first, I started it simply because it seemed fun. It was pure curiosity. I started with such interest, but I think I thought about how much I wanted to succeed and how good I was at acting. I worked hard after that," he said, expressing his love for his work and acting.

"Pachinko" drew attention from overseas media as the number of views for the first episode, which was released free of charge through YouTube, exceeded 5.6 million in a week after its release. Roh Sang-hyun's pictorials and interviews can be found on the official website of ICON.

http://lady.khan.co.kr/khlady.html?mode=view&code=5&artid=202205180935001

• Like 7

For Minha Kim, Pachinko Is Just the Beginning 

spacer.png

Kim made her acting debut in the buzzy, critically beloved Apple TV+ series. Here she opens up about landing the role of a lifetime.

Minha Kim was surprised, quite frankly, when she learned she landed the lead role in the Apple TV+ series Pachinko—a role that would ultimately change her life. Kim was out to dinner in Seoul with a casting director and assumed the meal was to celebrate her upcoming birthday. “We were just chatting, and then suddenly she ordered Champagne and told me that I got the role,” says Kim. “I was like, ‘Oh my God!’ It was a real surprise party.” 

Kim, 25, hadn’t heard of the novel before she received a virtual callback. In fact, when she first auditioned over Zoom—a process that ultimately took several months—she didn’t even know what she was auditioning for. “It was a secret project when the first auditions were held,” says Kim. Once she ultimately found out that she was auditioning for Sunja, the family matriarch and our narrator, she read the 490-page novel overnight. “I started at 10 p.m. and finished at 8 a.m. I couldn’t put it down.” The shoot took Kim from Korea to Canada over an eight-month time period.

The experience filming Pachinko has profoundly changed Kim’s whole outlook as an actor with a big future ahead of her. “Before Pachinko, I was always most concerned with the character I’d be playing,” says Kim. “But after Pachinko, I’ve realized the importance of the power of stories. If there are any messages or stories that really connect to me, I have to do it.”

In Pachinko, we watch your character, Sunja, grow up, experience love and heartbreak, leave the only home she’s ever known, become a mother, and find independence in a foreign land. How did you prepare to take on such a rich character?

Firstly, I had to study my history. I read books and watched a lot of documentaries to learn what happened in that era, not only in Korea, but around the world. But the most crucial thing that helped me was talking to my 94-year-old grandmother and hearing her stories. She lived in that time and knew exactly what was going on. She really did suffer similarly to Sunja. While I was researching, it was all about facts, but from my grandmother, it was all emotional. My grandmother is a great storyteller.

Have you watched Pachinko with her?

No, not yet, but she calls me every time she watches the episodes and she never stops crying, so I have to stop her!

What was your favorite scene to film?

There were so many scenes that I loved, but I really liked the scenes that were set in the boardinghouse, especially when I said goodbye to my mother and all of the boarders. While I was shooting that scene, all of the emotion came from my heart. I felt like I was saying goodbye to my own mom, siblings, and the people I love. Sunja’s mom is her everything, and I was thinking of my own mom. I hate hurting my mom, and Sunja is the same. Back then, there were no iPhones—if you said goodbye to someone, you never knew when you were going to see them again. I didn’t want to fake anything and was just really honest with my emotions in that scene.

In what ways do you most relate to Sunja?

Sunja has two sides to her—she’s both delicate and very sturdy. That disposition was a junction between Sunja and me.

Was there a scene that made you most nervous to film?

I was nervous to film the childbirth scene, because that’s something that I’ve never experienced before. Even though I watched a lot of videos and talked to my mother and grandmother, I couldn’t imagine how painful it was.

What was it like to wear the traditional Korean costumes?

The costumes were really comfortable—they were easy and quick to put on, and really pretty. I loved the color too. I actually asked if I could keep them, so I have a couple in my closet. I haven’t worn them since, but I love seeing them in my closet and reminiscing.

What was your go-to snack on set?

Every morning I had to have a warm, black coffee. I especially loved the coffee from McDonald’s. We always shot in the early morning, so it helped wake me up. On set I was also known as the girl who loved to eat jelly beans. I love candy, so every time I was on a break I’d eat them. The green apple flavor is my favorite.

Did you make any big purchase splurges with your first paycheck?

There were no limitations while I was ordering from Uber Eats. I ordered everything I love—Korean food, coffee, beer… While we were shooting in Vancouver, almost every scene Sunja has is quite intense and emotional, so every night, once I got back home, I would have one bottle of beer. It helped relax me and was like the conclusion of my day.

The opening credits of Pachinko are so dynamic, and you all look like you’re having a blast. What was it like to film them?

It was really fun. I danced for two hours without thinking, just listening to hip-hop, rock and roll and Korean music. It was the only day I had to just do nothing but dance.

https://www.glamour.com/story/for-minha-kim-pachinko-is-just-the-beginning

How Korean Drama ‘Pachinko’ Is Making Waves In Tattoo Design

Pachinko is Apple’s most compelling K-drama. The acclaimed drama based on the bestselling novel by Min Jin Lee, in the series created by Soo Hugh, which is being called “one of the best adaptations of all time.

At the show’s world premiere in Los Angeles, actor Jin Ha made waves for wearing a traditional Hanbok, South Korean’s ceremonial dress, on the red carpet. Vogue called it “bringing traditional Korean style to the world premiere.”

As the actor explained in an interview with Esquire: “I grew up very familiar with hanboks; we would wear them often for family events or traditional gatherings in Korea,” he said. “I always loved the women's hanbok. The colors, the design, the patterns—everything about it was so enthralling. I felt like this was the perfect event for me to finally wear a hanbok. It felt entirely relevant to the story that we were telling, and to the women we were honoring in Pachinko.”

spacer.png

Eunjung Hwang, a 28-year-old artist who goes by the moniker, Eunyu Tattoo, is using symbols from the show, like the Mungunghwa—South Korea’s national flower—to butterflies and the EunJangdo, a knife women would carry for self-protection, as the basis for a new tattoo series. “Butterflies symbolize splendor and hope,” says Hwang. “Using images based on the props of Pachinko for tattoos celebrate Korean traditional clothes and accessories.”

She adds: “The value of these traditional objects is like heirlooms that have been passed down from generation to generation, much like the themes in the show. Many of the symbols are eternally beautiful, so I would like to see more interest in Korean beauty in tattoos.”

Spoiler

spacer.png

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nadjasayej/2022/05/16/how-korean-drama-pachinko-is-making-waves-in-tattoo-design/?sh=40e39dca33a5

• Like 6

These 2022 Opening Credits Set a New Standard for How to Start a TV Series

And in a few more months, the Television Academy will have a chance to honor five of them. The category of Outstanding Main Title Design has become a favorite among Emmy prognosticators, enthusiasts, and TV fans. Each year, the nominees represent an eclectic mix of shows.

Such unpredictability can be enticing during an awards era where so many nominees and winners seem preordained, but this year’s legitimately outstanding crop of contenders demands four of the five slots be filled right now, two months ahead of nominations: ... and, yes, “Pachinko” have all created main titles that stand head-over-heels above the rest of the TV landscape, pairing compelling music, movement, and imagery to create sequences audiences are eager to watch again and again. They do more than name the cast and crew; they set a tone and a standard for what’s to come, while inviting you to go back and watch the sequence one more time before continuing to the episode itself.

So, for your consideration, here’s why each of these fine programs deserves to be honored at this year’s Emmys. Voters, take heed. After all, we’re not asking you to watch full seasons of television — just a few minutes from each.

Pachinko 

One of the marks of an iconic sequence is feeling its absence. The harrowing seventh episode of the Apple TV+ show’s opening season starts with a simple title card. Not that the hours surrounding it don’t have their share of tragedy and disappointment. But when that Episode 7 beginning goes by without one of the most vibrant, joyful titles in recent memory, it’s impossible not to retroactively realize the temporary release it offers elsewhere.

Much like the show overall finds a strong sense of connection between times and places that seem disconnected, the opening guitar twang of The Grass Roots’ “Let’s Live for Today” is an ideal pairing for the warm, wistful bath of color it’s playing behind. Creative directors Angus Wall and Nadia Tzuo take full advantage of the show’s electric pachinko parlor set, transforming it into a cross-generational dance floor where the central figures in this decades-spanning saga get to show themselves at their most fundamental.

As some of the cast members mentioned during the IndieWire For Your Consideration brunch, their day of filming their individual dances was an exuberant one on a project that has to contend with a whole host of conflicting emotions. Though everyone on set danced to different tunes, the one playing over all that individual glee cut together has some tempo changes, a big hint that the show following it is one that follows its own rhythm.

The effect of all this crystallizes in the “Pachinko” season finale, when a different version of “Let’s Live for Today” plays at the start. Series showrunner and creator Soo Hugh said that she worked with Korean pop band Leenalchi on their new spin on the 55-year-old tune, ultimately realizing that the best method was to try not to fit the song into any particular style or time period.

“When we’re doing our very first back and forth, I would give them songs with that 1960s mono feel, where the world just feels really close in on you. I didn’t want the sound to be expansive. But that’s not their sound. I was completely taking away what is amazing about Leenalchi. And then it was like, ‘You know what? Forget my notes,’” Hugh said. “Their music is this really unique blend of past and present where they use synth, and yet they incorporate that with traditional pansori Korean singing. I love their sound because they do exactly what the show does."

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/05/pachinko-severance-tv-best-opening-credits-2022-1234725692/

• Like 6

Soo Hugh (@shugh100), showrunner on #Pachinko, shares more color on the show’s vivid and unforgettable title sequence.

“From the first frame, we always said this title sequence should feel like you’re opening a family album…”

• Like 4

‘Pachinko’ Cast Breaks Down Beloved Opening Dance Sequence at IndieWire’s Consider This FYC Brunch 

The cast and producers of Apple's sprawling hit series joined IndieWire's Steve Greene for a lively discussion about the show.

How can a TV show, filmed in three different languages, seamlessly jump between 1910s South Korea and 1980s Tokyo without ever losing its narrative thread? And still feel incredibly current while doing so?

To answer those questions and more, some of the biggest names behind the Apple TV+ hit joined editor Steve Greene for a conversation about the show at IndieWire’s Consider This FYC Brunch in Hollywood on May 12. The “Pachinko” panel included director Justin Chon, stars Jin Ha and Minha Kim, and executive producers Theresa Kang-Lowe and Michael Ellenberg.

“The show was emphatic about finding what’s similar about these environments and time periods rather than focusing on what’s different,” said Ellenberg. “We didn’t want to create a refined, still sensibility for the past. We wanted to show, no, they are us.”

Of course, no conversation about “Pachinko” would be complete without a mention of that iconic opening sequence, which features the cast dancing to “Let’s Live For Today” by The Grass Roots in a pachinko parlor.

The idea stemmed from a desire to get more use out of the pachinko parlor that Baek Mozasu (Soji Arai) operates. The parlor is one of the most detailed sets that the show constructed, and it felt like a shame to only include it in a few scenes.

“I think we need to use this pachinko parlor more,” Jin Ha recalls saying. “I think the vast majority of these machines are actually functioning. So it’s all these vintage pachinko machines. So we were like, ‘do you want to just dance in there?'”

The sequence ended up tying together all of the show’s timelines, allowing characters who would never encounter each other to share the screen. The fact that it only came together because of the detailed work that the production designers did is a perfect encapsulation of the spirit of collaboration that was frequently discussed at the brunch.

https://www.indiewire.com/video/making-pachinko-building-sets-for-korea-to-stand-in-for-japan-1234725181/

Women And War In New Korean Mini-Series ‘Pachinko’

spacer.png

The benefit of this scaling back and forth is that it reinforces the show’s characters’ sensation of being cursed. “There is a curse in my blood,” Sunja’s mother declares at the getgo: all three of her sons died in their first year, and she thinks the daughter will die as well. Later, our intoxicated fisherman expresses concern, “It’s too much, living with this hatred. Our children will be cursed. Will this ever end?“

What is tragic is that the characters allude to their fate as a generational curse, but it is through the epic scale of the series that we realise that an entire country under a colonial curse can deter and dislocate its people’s futures and permanently scar immigrant families, such as Sunja’s.

The show thus develops a rhythm that the book lacks due to its continual moving between time frames. It creates exciting, dramatic analogies navigating from colonial Korea to a contemporary one, such as the divinatory opening scene, which combines multiple visuals. It shows Sunja’s mother visiting a fortune-teller to talk about conceiving in 1915 with a visual of Solomon, her great-grandson speaking English, at a business conference in New York in 1989.

Like many other characters in the series, Hansu dupes himself into thinking that social advancement can only be acquired through conciliation. The unlawful romance with Sunja does not affect his reputation or job, as he manages to lurk in her life for the rest of her life. Sunja, however, is accosted with shame in the patriarchal setting and is supported by her mother to marry a pastor and then immigrate to Japan. Her choices are driven by survival, but unlike Hansu, Sunja’s non-conciliation of Korean culture — her mother’s recipe for Korean Kimchi is what helps her earn a living in Japan. 

Sunja saw two alternatives: live in disrepute, although sumptuously, in Korea or proudly in Japan, even if it means selling kimchi to live. And she never sees her family again since she chose to follow the idealistic pastor husband to Japan. Sunja’s choice demonstrates that women can resist and live through adversity. She also exhibits women’s estimation and regards for their own value. Sunja’s complete unwillingness to be Hansu’s mistress, despite her love for him, exemplifies this.

Though Sunja feels she made the correct decision, she is haunted by memories of a pre-commercialised Korea evoked by the series’ fated paradigm, which highlights the immensity and splendour of the densely wooded Korean island. She is later inspired to return to Korea for the first time since her departure in the 1930s by the death of her sister-in-law.

What does the game of Pachinko symbolise?

‘Pachinko’ is a game of chance that is employed as a gambling machine. ...This pinball game needs skill and mostly luck. The term ‘Pachinko’ is hence a symbol for both luck and trust. It portrays the characters in a way that reflects their ability to overcome their situation.

On the other hand, like a game of chance that is frequently manipulated in ways that players are unaware of, it is also a metaphor for how the decisions made by Sunja affect future generations. Similarly, there are forces at work in the tale that the characters aren’t always aware of and influence their destiny.

Pachinko thus emphasises storytelling, stories from the past, and the desire to tell them, as sometimes it is the only asset that the older generations have. This is a trope that the show expands on in its moving conclusion, which I won’t ruin here.

https://feminisminindia.com/2022/05/19/women-and-war-in-pachinko/

• Like 5

‘Pachinko’ in Three Scenes

There are certain films and shows that, however great and exceptional they might be, don’t lend themselves to a writer’s quill—and then there is Pachinko. After finishing the first season of AppleTV’s Pachinko (a second season has been promised), I sat slack-jawed trying to think of how anyone would write about this show. The time-jumps and multigenerational plot lines make it a hard show to discuss, but really it’s the incredible depth of beauty and complexity that make it such a bear.

Scene One: The Noodle Shop 

And when Sunja explains her willingness to live her life as an outcast, willing to scrimp and save and go hungry to give her child the best life possible, Isak recognizes a fortitude in her that turns his perspective. He now sees Sunja as a human in full. Not just somebody to take pity on, but someone he admires so much that he is willing to extend himself and join her life. It is clear that he doesn’t view Sunja as an easy mark or an opportunity. He sees her as a hidden gem, and in a tone so sweet and persuasive without being in the slightest way manipulative, Isak asks Sunja if she, given time, “could care for another.” 

As you see the expressions on their faces so subtly change throughout the scene, we understand what is at stake for both of them. The filmmaking is so elegant as to make itself invisible—it’s not as if we are watching a scene that’s being directed. Instead, it feels like we’re eavesdropping on two people realizing that they are in the midst of a crucial moment that will change their lives forever. It is one of the most powerful scenes I’ve ever seen on television. 

Scene Two: Dancing in the Rain

spacer.png

As the rain falls all around him, he stops in front of a busking cover band playing a terrific version of the Cure’s “In-Between Days” and begins to dance in a way that only a free man can dance. His shirt is soaked, his full head of hair is as wet as the ocean, but Solomon is undeterred. He is alive. He has chosen the righteous path, and he, perhaps for the first time, uncovers the depth of his being. 

The show then cuts away to the older Sunja, who has just returned to Korea for the first time since she left with Isak. She stops her cab and walks onto the beach and into the water, soaking herself nearly up to her knees. In that moment, she and Solomon are joined in their ecstasy. One in self-discovery and the other in rediscovery. And again, your heart simply escapes your chest.

Scene Three: The Death of Hana

As Hana’s gazes up towards the sky and her last glimpses of life fade away, so Sunja’s eyes scan upwards in an edit that can only be described as unforgettable. Everything is connected, Pachinko seems to say. Past is a form of prologue, all rivers have tributaries, and sorrow and resilience are bittersweet partners. 

Some things need to be seen to be appreciated. This extraordinary series written by Soon Hugh and directed by Justin Chon and Kogonada (who between this and After Yang is having one hell of a year) is just one of those things.

Pachinko is a gorgeous, transcendent work that embarrasses 99% of what is on television and does so with ease. These scenes were the ones that stood out in my mind as the greatest, but almost any moment you could pick from this show is worthy of consideration. A whole article could be written on the show’s counter-intuitively ecstatic title sequence, and even the simple activities of making rice or kimchi in Pachinko are sumptuous visual poetry. It’s the kind of show that should be discussed with bated breath and for years to come. 

I suspect that, if you see it, then you will understand. Words fall short. Language cannot capture something so grand, but I had to try. 

In the end, all I am doing is begging you to see it. 

Please, see it.

https://www.awardsdaily.com/2022/05/18/pachinko-in-three-scenes/

She charmed in ‘Minari,’ delighted on the Oscars. Now for Yuh-Jung Youn’s next act ...

What was it about Sunja that made you want to play her?

When you get old, you don’t get excited that much, but this one, it really touched me. Her determination to survive at that time, her honesty, her resilience — it touched me deeply. I felt like I had to play this role.

“Choice” is a very important word to me. [She refers to a crucial decision by Sunja, a spoiler to be discussed here.] I really admired her. I was thinking about myself: If I had a choice like that, maybe I would have [made the easier choice]. All the difficulty she had to go through … she had to go overseas, leave her mother behind, she was struggling ... I really probably couldn’t do it, but when you become a mother, strength comes from somewhere. I think that’s the strength she got.

Is there a scene in “Pachinko” you think captures its essence?

It was very sad to watch it — I had heard it from my mother, and to see it on the screen ... That time when all the rice was taken by the Japanese. Korean people couldn’t eat rice. That line when the rice salesman says he’s not supposed to sell to Koreans; only to Japanese. But [Sunja’s mother] asks for two [bowls’ worth for her newlywed daughter and her husband] — he said, “OK, it’s illegal to sell to you, but I will give you three [bowls] so you can eat with your daughter and swallow your sorrow.” That line was beautiful.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/awards/story/2022-05-18/yuh-jung-youn-next-act-pachinko

Reads for the K-Drama Lover: 6 Books to Check Out in AAPI Heritage Month

May marks AAPI (Asian American and Pacific Islander) Heritage Month, and to celebrate, we've prepared a selection of books by AAPI authors worth reading! Served especially for our K-drama-loving readers, find a book you might like based on your favorite themes in dramas and movies.

Here are the books to check out:

If you like stories about family and identity

Featured book: “Pachinko”

While many K-drama fans may be more familiar with the recent drama, the story originates from a bestselling novel by Min Jin Lee. “Pachinko” follows the story of Sunja, the teenage daughter of a crippled fisherman in the 1900s. Refusing to be sold, her decision to abandon her home and start a new life in Japan sets off a dramatic saga that will echo through generations.

https://asiafirstnews.com/leituras-para-o-amante-do-k-drama-6-livros-para-conferir-no-mes-do-patrimonio-da-aapi/

• Like 5

Minha Kim Makes Interview Appearance On “Late Show With Stephen Colbert” (First Look)

spacer.png

Minha Kim, who has broken out as a star on the Apple TV+ series “Pachinko,” makes a high-profile television appearance Thursday night.

The actress appears on CBS’ “Late Show With Stephen Colbert.”

Filmed in advance, Thursday’s edition of “Colbert” will hit the airwaves at 11:35PM ET/PT on CBS. 

https://headlineplanet.com/home/2022/05/19/minha-kim-makes-interview-appearance-on-late-show-with-stephen-colbert-first-look/

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

Lee Min Ho and Yoon Yoo Jung's "Pachinko" will be launched in March!Looking at each other affectionately

2022-05-21

ocr

Starring Oscar winner Yoon Yoo-jung and popular actor Lee Min-ho, and created with huge amounts of money from the Hollywood group, Apple TV+'s second original Korean drama "Pachinko" is confirmed to be launched on March 25.

All eyes are on! "Pachinko," starring Lee Min Ho and Yoon Yoo Jung, is the focus of fans' discussion from the production and casting to the launch time. Recently, the first stills have finally been released! In the stills, Lee Min-ho, who plays Gao Hanshui, and Kim Min-ha, who plays the role of a young girl, look at each other, and the atmosphere seems quite worrying! What kind of story are they going to tell?

Interestingly, Lee Min Ho's thick shoulders, I don't know if it is affected by the angle, and the slightly plump chin looks even more manly, showing a completely different actor charm from the past!

Acclaimed Original Novel

"Pachinko" is written by the Korean-American writer Lee Min-jung. The background of the story is set in the 20th century. It depicts the story of how a North Korean family, with the change of history, manages the Pachinko's small steel ball business in a foreign land and overcomes difficulties. But the pretentious vocabulary, combined with the light and fluid narrative, made it a finalist for the National Book Award for fiction and a New York Times bestseller.

ocr

Created by a Hollywood team and adapted by Su Xiu, the screenwriter of the well-known series "Murder", director Guo Gongda, who is known for the beautiful form and structure of "Building the Heart Direction", co-directed and executive produced it with Justin Zhou. According to US media reports, the story of the album begins with the life of the character Shunci played by Yin Ruzhen, and uses flashbacks and interludes to show each character's story of life reflection and dilemma in different time and space. The sweetness of life reverberates in the silence, triggering expectations.

Not just handsome! Lee Min Ho as Ko Han Shui

In 2020, after being discharged from the army, he returned with "The King: Eternal Monarch", which was broadcast through an international OTT platform, making Lee Min Ho, who was a top K-pop actor, even more popular. There are fans as far away as Africa, and the charm is boundless. In this play, Gao Hanshui, who plays the main character, can be seen in the Reuters photos that were circulated on the Internet earlier. Lee Min Ho can be seen in a straight suit, and he will play from young to old, which is very challenging for Lee.

In the play, he has an extramarital affair with the young Cishun, but he is not a heartbreaker, but a woman he truly loves, which has a reversal influence on the whole story. Earlier, many characters were outstanding in appearance, but this time the handsome transformation is more mature, and it can be seen that as a top-notch actor, he handles the delicate level of inner transition.

Oscar winner! Yoon Yoo Jung as the elderly Tzu Shun

After winning the Oscar honor, Yin Ruzhen once again showed her moving acting skills to audiences all over the world through this drama! In the play, he plays the elderly Cishun. After giving birth to two sons with Gao Hanshui when he was young, in the face of the bullying of Korean immigrants in Japan, the family is forced to make a living with the gambling game Pachinko. For the sake of the family, only self-esteem can be sacrificed, and through a series of events, women's perseverance and sensibility are shown. Teacher Yin, who has a very moving performance in her true colors, was able to understand the beauty of her refined performance in "Land of Dreams" earlier, and this time she will definitely not disappoint everyone!

Assemble powerful actors from many countries

Kim Min-ha as the girl Jasoon

Earlier, he starred in the movie "Life Line" starring Park Shin Hye and Zhong Rui, and he is a very new face. In this play, the role is heavy, and there are many opposite scenes with Lee Min Ho, who acted as the girl and young woman period of the heroine of the whole play. With a fair and innocent face, although it is not a standard beauty at first glance, it has an attractive quality and is hailed by the Korean media as a promising new star to look forward to.

Jung Eun Chae as Kyung Hee (Sister Tzu Shun)

Worked with Lee Min Ho in "The King: Eternal Monarch" and was named the most beautiful prime minister. This time, the sister-in-law who plays Cishun has a restrained performance that is different from the past. It may be seen that she is different from the previous actress charm.

Anna Sawai (Anna Sawai) as Naomi

Born in New Zealand, raised in Hong Kong and the Philippines, moved to Japan with his family at the age of 10. The movie "Fate of the Dead 9 " appeared, and the ruthless character Elle impressed many fans. The colleague in the workplace who plays Cishun's grandson in this play is a very ambitious woman who dominates her life.

Nan Guobe as Yuezi

She has won the Blue Ribbon Award for Best Supporting Actress and the Nikkan Sports Film Award for Best Supporting Actress. She is Ken Watanabe's ex-wife. In the play, the characters are charming and elusive with changing emotional turns. He has a warm and independent personality, and is very eager to be with his separated daughter.

Across 3 languages + multi-country shooting

As Apple TV+'s first cross-border original series, Korean, Japanese, and American actors of different nationalities in the play will perform in Japanese, Korean and English. Not only that, but the series was in an intense shooting period when the epidemic broke out. In addition to Busan, South Korea, in February 2021, Lee Min Ho also flew to Vancouver, Canada to shoot, and it was very hard until he returned to South Korea after shooting in April. However, when everyone sees the complete album, not only should they praise Lee Min Ho's acting skills, but also make people feel that all the hard work is worth it.

Delicate restoration of the atmosphere of the times

The historical changes in the play, from the beginning of the 20th century to the 1980s, restore the social atmosphere at that time must be quite delicate. Starting from basic clothing, streetscapes and even small props, it is bound to let the audience be in the present time! According to reports, the production budget of "Pachinko" is as high as 130 million US dollars, surpassing the final season of Netflix's "The Crown" and HBO's "Game of Thrones". It must make people eager to experience together with Lee Min-ho and Yoon Yu-jeong, what is the so-called flagship of life? What an epic landscape!

https://inf.news/en/entertainment/071045095a81aa637bfde1828ff48c0a.html

• Like 3

No one can erase our roots

05/20/2022 Yoel Gonzalez

“Motherland is a name, a word. And it is powerful, so powerful that no wizard has ever cast a stronger spell, and no spirit has ever answered a stronger call." This is a quote from Charles Dickens, with which Min Jin Lee, author of Pachinko (2017), decides to open Book I (or the first chapter) with the title "Gohyang" or "Homeland". This choice is not accidental, if in the course of the story that follows it this word is constantly present. Motherland as a place that gives hope and new life, motherland as a space wounded by an enemy invasion, motherland as that mother earth that must be left and which remains in the hearts of those who leave.

ocr

This concept also remains latent in each of the eight chapters that make up the adaptation of Su Huy's literary work. Likewise, the creator of Pachinko (2022-) shows the two sides of the story's coin from the very beginning: a fiction based on the rough real context of the history of Korea and its people, and the story of a family that emigrates in search of prosperity, better opportunities, and hopes for the best. future. Both sentences are connected from the very beginning, and in each episode the intro to the "Let's Live for Today" rhythm by The Grass Roots makes it clear.

It creates a collage of images and documentaries from the early 20th century, with photographs of the main characters of the series mimicking real-life portraits, later photographs of Korean families, and sequences of a fictional cast dancing in a pachinko room to the sound of a letter that defends explicitly for a carpe diem.

In this way, identity and family are ultimately formed as the two pillars that hold up the central plot, and are reinforced by other secondary ones (such as the old woman whom Solomon tries to convince to sell her house, or Hana's house with his mother). ). The brilliance in the treatment of both themes is that the script eschews sober verbiage to focus on small details fueled by symbolism and emotional dimension.

In this way, rice becomes more than just food and becomes a motif that tells us about the change of time, exposes class differences, reminds us of the past and the land itself, and in the case of Sunj (Kim Minha and Yun Yoo-Jung), also reminds him the figure of his mother.

ocr

The act of dialogue of distant times with each other instead of a novel-like chronological adaptation is what uplifts Pachinko, which adds layers of meaning. Despite the chromatic difference of past times bathed in warmer sepia tones and the present in cooler gray tones, the two gradually meet and intertwine with each other through careful editing.

This harmony is built on parallels that enliven the concept of the family that exists, and the problems that persist, overcoming generations and times. While they don't always bring together great historical themes (heritage, lineage, and identity), they also highlight personal motivations (dreams or impossible loves) and emotionally punctuate small gestures, like cutting an apple, that don't seem to have much to do with it. values.

These interactions allow us to better evaluate the characters and show the impact of their decisions. The choice acts as the main leitmotif, explaining the future of the family and its goals. Given this, Sunya is the protagonist, who at different ages shows how decisions often entail sacrifices and, at the same time, they humanize the person himself, allowing us to understand the reasons why he is the way he is.

And thanks to this montage, which conducts a dialogue between generations, this judgment about individual actions is made from the point of view of the character. Everyone is aware of their successes, their mistakes and turning points in their lives.

Despite the size of the production, which tries to emulate the epicness of a literary work, both Kogonada and Justin Chon manage to find intimacy in the grandeur surrounding Pachinko. what influences them, and in what the faces say to each other or what they reveal to the viewer. rare cases where the fourth wall is broken.

And two of those specific moments are captured by Sunjay, not only conveying clear emotions, but also making clear her transformation. Therefore, the close-up looking at the camera at the beginning of the first episode shines with happiness, giving rise to another close-up that ends the last episode, a look full of maturity as a result of the experienced adversity and determination, above all, to move on.

This glimpse into the future is cut short by the season finale, which leaves an open ending with unresolved issues and sets up a narrative expansion that seems to have only glimpsed. However, Soo Huy refuses to risk not having another opportunity to return to Min Jin Lee's work and makes a dedication as a pre-credits documentary epilogue.

In it, the field of fiction disappears to voice the testimonies of women who survived the described historical events. By placing the viewer in the Japan of 2021, reality transcends the events and data noted in the credits, making verisimilitude the truth that each of the older women interviewed can tell.

ocr

In one of the episodes, Sunja states that "she doesn't understand why people cling to the past, refuse to let it go when, no matter how much we want it, it won't bring us back to the dead." And it cannot be denied that the deceased will not return, but Su Hui concludes that remembering does not always mean remaining in another time; memorization helps you move forward to try to get better and avoid repeating the same mistakes. Memory restores the history of the country and its people, who would have been destined to disappear in the hands of the victors. Memory makes it impossible for some to erase the roots of others.

Pachinko ( Soo Huy (Creator) , Justin Chon, Kogonada USA 2022 )
Creator: Su Huy (based on the novel of the same name by Ming Jin Lee) / Directed by: Justin Chon, Kogonada / Screenplay: Su Huy, Matthew McCure, Hansol Jung, E. J. Koh, Franklin Jean Roh, Lauren Yee, Ethan Kuparberg, Mfoniso Odofia / Production: Canada, South Korea, USA; Media Cut / Photo : Florian Hoffmeister / Editing : Simon Brasset, Sabin Hoffman, Susan E. Kim / Music : Niko Mukhli Cast : Yoon Yuh-Jung, Lee Min-Ho, Kim Min-ha, Jin Ha, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami , Jimmi Simpson, Steve Sang-hyun-no, Jung Eun-chae, Jung Yu-na, Anna Sawai, Inji Jeong, Junwoo Han

Translation from spanish google

https://revistamutaciones.com/pachinko-critica/

• Like 3

LEE MIN HO FACED SEVERAL CHALLENGES TO PLAY HANSU

spacer.png

To play Koh Hansu in Pachinko, Lee Min Ho had to overcome several challenges that he had not had to face in his 16 years as an actor. For the actor, these challenges only made him even more excited about his participation in the American production. The first challenge he faced was auditioning for the first time in 12 years. Due to the great recognition of the actor, they usually offer him the role directly. For this reason, when he was informed that he had to audition to see if he fit the character he felt very nervous, especially since he did not fully remember what the audition process was. The actor auditioned again with excitement and nervousness, finally getting the role.

Another detail that was faced was the recording in three different languages. Since the Pachinko story takes place in Korea, Japan, and the United States, the renowned actor had to perform speaking Korean, Japanese, and English. A great challenge which he faced without hesitation, causing his performance to make him one of the possible candidates to be nominated to win the EMMY Award this year.

WHAT WAS KOH HANSU LIKE? THE VILLAIN LEE MIN HO PLAYED IN PACHINKO

Koh Hansu's character in Pachinko is very complex. In the story, he is a fishing businessman who actually has ties to the yazuka, as well as believing himself to be incredibly rich. After falling in love with Sunja, a young Korean woman several years younger than him, and getting her pregnant, he wants to take care of her and her child. But Sunja turns him down when she learns that Hansu already has a family in Japan. At that moment, while Sunja escapes from her, Hansu searches for her in an unreachable way to get involved in the life of her son. Hansu in turn is a man who is willing to do the unimaginable for power, without caring about using other people. You can watch Pachiko on Apple TV+.

https://www.nacionrex.com/doramas/Lee-Min-Ho-en-su-primer-rol-como-villano-asi-actuo-en-Pachinko-20220521-0015.html

• Like 6

'Pachinko', survive, above all (2022)

' Pachinko' is one of those stories that reminds you how beautiful and hard life is at the same time. Through the life of Sunja , a young Korean who is constantly punished by circumstances in a time marked by war, hunger and death worldwide, we discover what it was like for millions of Koreans to try to survive the Japanese occupation, a civil war and World War II, conflicts that would understand, perhaps too well, gender, race and social status. 'Pachinko' is the story of a woman in a specific place and time, but we could recognize our great-grandmothers and grandmothers in it no matter where they are from.

Get ready to experience endless time jumps, swift, beautifully linked and necessary to tell a vast, almost unfathomable story that will last four seasons and that will link the presence of three generations, while trying to give life to one of the most beautiful novels you can read about. resilience, survival, family and sense of belonging. Once you start 'Pachinko' there is no turning back.

The taste of rice

Can you imagine not recognizing the taste of your land? Would you be able to live away from him? How can an entire people be deprived of identity in such a devastating yet simple way?

'Pachinko' is the reflection of the lives that were destroyed, uprooted from their home and taken to no man's land. And that is why it is so powerful, because it puts the emphasis on each of the important things in life, starting with those women who recognize their worth, knowing that they owe nothing to anyone, except themselves. That is reflected in the series with liberating moments that make you smile when they decide, even if it is at the end of their lives, that they are going to live for them and no one else.

"Her tears must be respected. She has earned the right to shed them."

If a sentence can summarize the essence of 'Pachinko', it is the one you have just read. This is from someone who yearns for the land that saw them born, while there are others who couldn't wait to leave it behind and some who don't understand being rooted in a piece of land because they are too pragmatic, or perhaps because their home is those around them, no matter what the place is called. To see 'Pachinko' is to see oneself reflected in hundreds of mixed feelings, it is to cry without realizing that you are doing it and to smile from ear to ear because we savor the small victories of our characters as our own.

Spoiler

A series that reflects on life at the end of it. The things that could have been and were not because destiny and life choices had other plans for you. On 'Pachinko' the pain for the uprooting that a civil war and the consequent separation of a nation in two supposed in millions of hearts flies continuously. People who live with the hope that perhaps one day their home will be one again, and they, who have lived away from it for so long, can return to feel at home again.

In 'Pachinko' there is also talk of courage, survival, warmth and love at all levels. It is a series full of edges, not polished at all, because it presents real, imperfect humans, who also have room inside for greed, selfishness, pettiness and evil that sometimes are the only ones that allow you to see another day dawn. . Seen from the outside, with our prism of privilege, it is a reality check that teaches you how destructive the discourse of fear that feeds on racism and poverty is, while it makes you see that the pain of a mother while preparing the suitcase of a daughter she has to watch leave knows no borders, language or status.

Sunja is the undisputed protagonist. 'Pachinko' is her story. That of her parents, her children and their children . Portrayed by Kim Min-Ha in her youth and by Youn Yuh-Jung in her golden age, no words can be written here to highlight the superb work they both do throughout the series. To look into their eyes is to know the heart of the protagonist. Her desires and her fears are reflected in them, they seem to have internalized her character to the point of making it an extension of her being and thanks to that the immersion in 'Pachinko' is extraordinary.

Kim Min-Ha is here to stay, we will not be surprised to continue seeing her on screen in future projects because she has started her career on a high and the success that this K-drama is being internationally is going to make her recognized like few other actors. It happens to South Koreans despite their fruitful careers. Youn Yuh-Jung is a goddess, whom we are now enjoying in the West thanks to the film ' Minari ', which allowed us to fall at her feet. An actress that we urge you to follow, investigate and rediscover through her less recent work, because you will be seeing one of the great stars of world cinema.

Hansu, Sunja's first love, is played by Lee Min Ho , an actor who needs no introduction in Dramaland but gets his golden ticket to the West with this production. For those who know him, seeing him bring to life a pragmatic and unscrupulous man will be a pleasant surprise and unique experience. Although the script gives us more restrained than does the work of literature . Lee Min Ho, it can finally be said that he has tried on the antihero costume and that it fits him like a glove.

Jin Ha plays Solomon, Sunja's grandson , with whom he shares a large number of scenes when we meet in the 80s. His character does not understand what moves his grandmother, he is not able to understand the difficulties of someone who has fought for everything in his life, when he has been raised relatively comfortably and with all his basic needs met. Both are that generational confrontation that collides on all levels but they adore each other, because the family is also that. Solomon is a banker who seeks to take over the world and is not willing to wait for others to come and take away what he considers his. As the seasons go by, we may get a better drawing of this character, who in the first eight episodes seems to be only sketched.

Jung Eun-Chae ( Kunghee), Soji Arai (Mosazu), Kim Young-Ok (Shin Bok-Hee), Park Hye-Jin (Han Geum-Ja), Mari Yamamoto (Hana), and Hiromitsu Takeda (Mr. Haruki) complete an unattainable cast unless you are a blockbuster. In this case, AppleTV has thrown the house out the window and has spared no expense, which is for us a luxury that will take time to return because the mixture of actors with great impact and career along with new actors who are released forall out with 'Pachinko' is a difficult cocktail to repeat.

Impeccable

The bill of 'Pachinko' overwhelms in each scene. It does not matter that they are burning cities reduced to ashes in the blink of an eye, that you are in the middle of an office in which nobody is aware of your presence

'Pachinko' is as powerful as its stories, as brutal as the history of the places where the action takes place . The light seems to become denser, darker and more unattainable depending on the historical moment that is recreated. Fear and joy maintain a continuous pulse on the screen. A battle that is visually translated into cold tones, distant planes, penetrating gazes, and a halo of dirt that is not necessarily palpable with the hands. During the 50's the camera lives surrounded by ochres, dull like the soul of the cities and lives that tried to start over, in the 80's blue is modern, cold and absorbs happiness while the big skyscrapers, the suits and the big banks conquer everything without looking for anyone.

The soundtrack is everything. Tragic, epic, perfect for every scene, moment and decision. It accompanies us almost imperceptibly, giving us a 'Pachinko' that we couldn't imagine without its chords. The same thing happens with the staging, costumes and makeup. The correct and complex work of putting before our eyes countries and conflicting realities over a wide range of years involves making a thorough and careful study of the thousands of possible realities that are perfectly combined here in clothing and homes.

It is impossible to close these words without making a special mention of the head of the series. A genius that is able to encourage us and encourage them to watch it while we fall in love with the protagonists in a matter of seconds thanks to a risky staging, full of color, and rhythm in the middle of a pachinko corridor that presents the characters free of burdens and concern inviting us to discover the history of each of them.

' Pachinko' is probably one of the best series of this 2022. With an impeccable bill, a story to never forget and characters that soon become part of you, you will count the days until the second season arrives, what, I can assure you, It won't come fast enough for what your heart and mind long for. If you have read the play, give it a try, but free your mind from everything you expect from it , it is impossible to recreate the 'Pachinko' that your mind has imagined, because even so, you will travel, cry and enjoy Sunja, Isak, Hansu and all the other characters you fell in love with.

https://www.magazinema.es/pachinko-sobrevivir-por-encima-de-todo-2022/

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

"Pachinko": Perhaps the best series we'll see this year

The Apple TV + series has been a fascinating crossover of distant times and contrasting landscapes since its premiere, a quiet emotional whirlwind with a character, Sunja, as a cohesive element. On the one hand, she tells us her initiation story: how she grew up in a poor family in occupied Korea (little Yu-Nan Jeon is a revelation), got pregnant (already played by Minha Kim), discovered the truth about her lover (Lee Minho) and ended up leaving her land behind. On the other hand is the path, already in the 80's, of his grandson Solomon (Jin Ha, from Devs), a young Americanized banker who returns to Japan to close, perhaps with the help of his grandmother Youn Yuh-jung, winner Oscar for Minari), a lucrative real estate development deal.The plots about migration and identity are joined by a suspense mystery : the disappearance and apparent reappearance of Hana, a girl from Solomon's adolescence.

No easy tears

Korean-American Hugh has spent the last four years working on the series, a real narrative challenge to which she launched herself without thinking, both because of her emotional connection to the story and her love of risk: “When someone tells me that something is impossible, they make me want to do it more ", he explains in a video call.

Many American productions suggest that it is impossible to hear more than one language (English) in a series, no matter where the action takes place, but in this one all the characters speak in their own mother tongue : dialogues in Korean are combined , Japanese and English. “It was essential to use these three languages. We are telling a story about migration, about moving to another place and losing a homeland. If you don't see the characters using their language, or don't know how to use another one, everything makes sense.

These three languages are joined by a fairly universal room: silence . Hugh wanted the scenes to breathe and the poetry to slide between small corners, never forcing the infinite possibilities of emotion. "I did not want to be manipulative. He wanted us to shed tears instead of looking for the easy tear. For example, I love these performances in which we see the actor trying not to cry. I find it more interesting.

spacer.png

https://www.regio7.cat/oci/tv/series/2022/05/22/pachinko-potser-millor-serie-veurem-66154200.html

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

'Pachinko' production team to attend Busan Contents Market

spacer.png

The production team of hit Apple TV+ series “Pachinko” (2022) will attend this year’s Busan Contents Market (BCM), the BCM organization committee announced on Monday.  

The 16th BCM this year is scheduled to start on June 8. According to the committee, the team will share stories about the production process, episodes from the filming set and more.  

The series’ co-executive producers David Kim and Sebastian Lee will participate in the BCM conference, along with actors Lee Dae-ho and Joo Young-ho.  

“Pachinko” premiered on March 25 and is based on a novel of the same title by Korean-American author Min Jin Lee. It follows four generations of ethnic Koreans in Japan, known as Zainichi Koreans. The series has been confirmed for a second season.

The annual BCM brings together distributors and buyers of content and is held both online and offline. This year’s BCM takes place at the Bexco exhibition center in Busan from June 8 to 10 with approximately 700 attendees from 40 nations.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2022/05/23/entertainment/kpop/korea-kpop-pachinko/20220523130952671.html

Four Things I Learned From Watching Pachinko, The Critically Applauded New Korean Series

Pachinko is an eight-episode series inspired by a bestselling novel by writer Min Jin Lee that follows several generations of a Korean family to delve into their experiences during the first half of the 20th century.

This production is as beautiful as it is devastating; some critics have fallen short of calling it a quintessential masterpiece with which it conveys a calming vision of a story often overlooked in Western history books.

Through each episode, the horror, love, loneliness, sorrow and integrity of its protagonists are captured through the 35 years that the Japanese occupation lasted in South Korea and that led millions of Koreans to emigrate, submitting to to the suffering that this entails and to the strength that they were forced to build to face it.

This series reveals all the complexities of the inner and suffering world of Korean women during this period and offers a great opportunity to learn about the history that today continues to influence the collective unconscious of the Asian country.

Spoiler

1. The Japanese occupation

The Japanese occupation comprises part of the expansion of the Empire of Japan, which dominated Korea as a colony for almost 35 years, from 1910 to 1945, although this annexation was not declared null until 1965.

2. The value of rice
I learned that white rice was banned for Koreans during the occupation. Due to scarcity, it was reserved only for the consumption of the colonizing Japanese.

3. Pachinko

Pachinko is the name that this production bears and that comes from the famous betting machine game (something like pinball that we have in the West) that has a well-established legacy in Japan and Korea to this day. 

4. The 1923 Kanto Earthquake

In the penultimate episode of this series (personally, it was my favorite) we learn the story of one of the characters during the devastating 1923 Kanto earthquake, which unleashed chaos and violence against Koreans in Japan.

https://www.teletica.com/series-y-peliculas/cuatro-cosas-que-aprendi-viendo-pachinko-la-nueva-serie-coreana-aplaudida-por-la-critica_311751

2022 Emmy Predictions: Best Drama Series

Strong Contenders
“Pachinko”

Spoiler

Frontrunners
“Succession”
“Squid Game”
“Ozark”
“Better Call Saul”
“Yellowstone”
“Yellowjackets”
“Euphoria”
“Severance”

Strong Contenders
“Stranger Things”
“The Morning Show”
“Bridgerton”
“This Is Us”
“Killing Eve”
“Pachinko”
“Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty”
“The Gilded Age”

https://www.goldderby.com/feature/2022-emmy-predictions-best-drama-series-1204927450/

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

Apple TV+ has given the green light to the second season! Will Lee Min-ho return?

ocr

SHREYA CHRISTINA
MAY 24, 2022

Apple TV+ has hit the jackpot with the critically acclaimed historical drama series Pachinko. The show gets a lot of viewers with its intriguing storyline. The series created by Soo Hugh follows the love of Zainichi to Korean immigrants in Japan during World War II. Since the first season ended indistinctly and viewers were itching, Apple Tv has greenlit Pachinko Season 2.

Has Pachinko Season 2 been renewed?

Season one of Apple’s TV’s Pachinko ended on April 29, 2022. However, the streaming platform wasted no time announcing the show’s renewal for its second season. On April 29, 2022, Apple TV confirmed the show’s second season via a Tweet that read, “A compelling story too epic for just one season. The critically acclaimed #Pachinko will be back for season 2.”

Series creator Soo Hugh couldn’t hide her excitement when she spoke about Pachinko Season 2. In a statement, she said, “Words cannot express my joy at continuing to tell the extraordinary story of this indomitable family. I am grateful to the amazing team at Apple and Media Res Studio for believing and supporting this show, and for our passionate fans who have cheered us on.” She added: “It is an honor to continue working with this amazing cast and crew.”

What is Pachinko Season 2 about?

At the end of the show’s first season, Hana was dead in the year 1989. On the other hand, Yoshi and Solomon came up with plans to make Han Geum-ja leave her property. Meanwhile, in 1938, authorities arrested Isak for his “unpatriotic” actions as the world war neared its climax. Sunja, much to her brother-in-law’s chagrin, has set up a kimchi stall as a result. Meanwhile, Koh Hansu had his first meeting with his son.

The second season continues the story after the end of the first season. Kyunghee will lend Sunja a hand with her Kimchi booth. Meanwhile, the second season may delve into the ramifications of Solomon’s deal with Yoshii, as he has connections in the Yakuza. Pachinko Season 2 may also reveal the truth about what really happened to Noa. We can also see Koh Hansu helping Sunja’s family survive during the war while Sunja is finally able to reunite with her mother.

Cast Details!

The cast of Apple TV+’s drama series stars Yu-na Jeon as Child Sunja, Minha Kim as Teen Sunja and Youn Yuh-jung as adult Sunja. The show also features Jin Ha as Solomon, Soji Arai who plays Mozasu and Steve Sang-Hyun Noh who plays Isak. Lee Min-ho plays Koh Hansu. In addition, Jimmi Simpson plays the role of Tom Andrews, Jung Eun-chae plays Young Kyunghee and Felice Choi plays Older Kyunghee. Anna Sawai can be seen as Naomi.

ocr

Other cast of the show include Lee Dae-ho as Hoonie, Louis Ozawa as Momoru Yoshii, Kaho Minami who plays Etsuko, Moreover Mari Yamamoto as Hana and Jung Ye-bin as Teenage Hana. In addition, we also have Junwoo Han as Yoseb, Jeong In-ji as Yangjin and Park Hye-jin as Han Geum-ja. Aside from the characters who died in the first season, we can expect the return of most of the cast members in Pachinko Season 2. Also, the next season may also bring some new faces to the story.

https://businesstraverse.com/apple-tv-has-given-the-green-light-to-the-second-season-will-lee-min-ho-return/

• Like 4

Kim Min-ha of 'Pachinko' appears on 'The Late Show with Stephen Colbert'

spacer.png

Apple TV+'s "Pachinko" breakout star Kim Min-ha made her first American late-night show appearance on Friday, according to her agency Saram Entertainment on Tuesday. 

Kim appeared on CBS talk show "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" and discussed her role in "Pachinko" (2022) and her rapid rise to stardom. 

She spoke in English for the six-minute interview and taught the host Colbert some Korean sentences from her favorite movie "Lord of the Rings."

Last week, Kim appeared on CBS's "Saturday Morning Show." 

"In the middle of this time when such horrible things are happening around them [the show's characters], they were trying to keep the things stable with their love. I think that is the most powerful message that we have," Kim told the host of the morning show on May 21. 

“Pachinko” premiered on March 25 and is based on a novel of the same title by Korean-American author Min Jin Lee. It follows four generations of ethnic Koreans in Japan, known as Zainichi Koreans. The series has been confirmed for a second season.

Kim played the lead character Sunja in her younger days. Academy Award winner Youn Yuh-jung plays the older version of the character. 

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2022/05/24/entertainment/television/Korea-Pachinko-Apple-TV/20220524150208129.html

The 15 Best Shows to Watch on Apple TV+ in 2022

Apple TV+'s original content may seem daunting to comb through—compared to Disney+'s name-recognition or HBO's long-running programming, especially—but that's where we, your friends at Esquire, come in! The streaming platform offers up a wide slate of drama, comedy, sci-fi, and documentary series, leaving room for anyone to find something they can latch on to and enjoy and we've uncovered the best of the best.

Whether you're looking for period pieces like Pachinko, ... below we've handpicked the 15 best shows Apple TV+ has to offer this year. Time to get watching.

Pachinko

Pachinko, based on the bestselling novel of the same name, is a multigenerational story about a Korean family struggling to survive during Japanese occupation. This tear-jerker of a tale sends the main protagonist—a Korean woman named Sunja—through heartbreak, discrimination, and perseverance.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/g40063437/best-shows-on-apple-tv-2022/

'We cannot wait for the industry to give us permission': Filmmaker Justin Chon on telling Asian American stories in Hollywood

Director, actor, and screenwriter Justin Chon is putting in the work to break Asian American cinema into the mainstream.

After 21 years in the entertainment industry, the award-winning Korean American filmmaker has spun poignant tales and compelling narratives centered on Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) characters.

In "Pachinko" (2022), co-directed by Chon, the Apple+ original drama series explores the cultural dynamics and tensions between Koreans and Japanese. 

"That's why I'm able to tell a story like 'Pachinko,'" Chon said. "I didn't grow up in Korea, and I'm also not an immigrant to Japan. I'll never understand what that feels like to feel othered while still looking at people that still have the same color skin. But I can relate to the human elements of having sacrifices from previous generations and cultural baggage, and the haunting of transgressions of the past and inheriting that."

https://www.insider.com/filmmaker-justin-chon-on-bringing-aapi-narratives-to-silver-screen-2022-5

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

Craft Emmy Analysis: What Historical Series Will Rule?

"Pachinko

Where it can gain or lose: “Pachinko” is the wildcard and could be a craft force to be reckoned with. The series focuses on family matriarch Kim Sunja (played as a child by Yu-na, as an adult by Kim Min-ha, and as a grandmother by Youn Yuh-jung), and jumps back and forth in time as a conversation between the generations. Shot throughout Korea (which also doubled for Japan), as well as in Vancouver, Season 1 has been submitted in 11 craft categories: casting, cinematography, editing, period costumes, main title design, music supervision, period or fantasy production design, score, sound editing, and sound mixing, special visual effects. It could be competitive in most, or just a few, depending on how much viewers are pulled into the family saga.

Best bet: The cinematography of Florian Hoffmeister and Ante Cheng is one of the standouts for its beauty, scope, and immediacy. Most important, it doesn’t visually distinguish timelines. “When you see period pieces, they tend to be inaccessible, they’re presentational,” said director Justin Chon at the IndieWire Consider This FYC Brunch on May 12. “But I wanted the audience to be viscerally living this time. We used anamorphic lenses and handheld cameras to increase the immersion. We wanted it to be relatable and accessible. Anamorphic lenses allow you to get close to the characters but see their environment.”

Production design and costume design are also strong contenders. The sprawling world building of production designer Mara LePere-Schloop meticulously recreates both Korea and Japan with epic visuals and intimate detail, while costume designer Kyunghwa Chae weaves a multitude of wardrobes with impeccable detailing. But the highlight is the traditional Korean hanbok, which represents both social position and marital status, and undergoes an evolution throughout time in all manner of opulence. 

Other possibilities: Editing is also notable, especially in “Chapter 7,” which explores the backstory of enigmatic, affluent fish merchant Hansu (Lee Minho, who survives the Great Kanto earthquake of 1923. In fact, the entire episode stands apart visually (shot by Hoffmeister) with more muted colors and 1.43:1 aspect ratio. They were also aided by one-half of a “mirrored set” constructed on two continents to capture the chaos and destruction caused by the earthquake.

Enough can’t be said, though, about the ingenious main title sequence, which serves as a microcosm of family connection. As IndieWire’s Ben Travers and Steve Greene noted, “Creative directors Angus Wall and Nadia Tzuo take full advantage of the show’s electric pachinko parlor set, transforming it into a cross-generational dance floor where the central figures in this decades-spanning saga get to show themselves at their most fundamental.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/05/emmy-predictions-bridgerton-mrs-maisel-great-gilded-age-pachinko-1234724611/

• Like 4