Manga / Anime Discussion

partyon

Welcome to the Manga / Anime discussion thread!

This is the place to discuss your favorite mangas and animes, and give your chingus recommendations on what to read / watch.

tenor.gif?itemid=13984218

What are you reading or watching right now? Any recommendation for a newbie? :kiss_wink:

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

3 minutes ago, partyon said:

What is it about?

i dont really know how to explain it so here's the google version:

The story follows Light Yagami, a teen genius who stumbles across a mysterious otherworldly notebook: the "Death Note", which belonged to the Shinigami Ryuk and grants the user the supernatural ability to kill anyone whose name is written in its pages.
and @Berou im watching the series :D

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

• Guest pinned this topic

Okay so I am more of the Kdrama guy than Anime person. I once in a while after researching a lot watch the anime which I think is worth my time (otherwise I'd rather by binge-watching and decrease to watch Kdrama list).

Noona there are tons of anime, so much that even if you watch them through out your life, there would still be many left to watch. My Preferences are always smaller anime. I have not even thought about watching the big 3 - One Piece, Bleach and Naruto. 

Still I'll list the anime/manga I have watched. I am not watching any anime currently though. 

1. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (anime)
  2. Attack on Titan (Anime, following manga)
  3. Tokyo Ghoul (Anime, Manga)
  4. Demon Slayer (Anime,Manga)
  5. Captain Tsubasa (Anime)
  6. Your Lie in April (Anime)
  7. Tower of God (Anime, following Manhwa)
  8. Parasyte (Anime)
  9. Death Note (Anime and Jap ver. movie)

I have many anime in my watchlist as recommended by a friend, but I need to read about their plot and other things and most importantly have to decide a time to watch it. I usually binge-watch anime. The only one I'll be starting soon is "Fire Force" when it's second season ends.

So I could still be rookie in terms of Anime. I have a big "to watch" list for it, but Kdramas come first :tenor:

• Insightful 2

@Sleepy Owl I don't know much about manga or anime. Okay, I know a bit more about manga tbh.

I was just noticing that a lot of people were talking about them on the add-subtract thread, so I thought it would be fun to create its own thread for it here. :kiss_wink:

Are the animes you listed of the action genre?

K-dramas come first for me as well, but I am always fascinated that so many k-dramas are based on webtoons and mangas.
Isn't e.g. Cheese in the Trap based on a webtoon?

@Berou Love the pics you posted. So beautiful!

fushigi-yugi-gembu-visual-1.jpg&key=9c98

• Love 1
  • Insightful 1

22 minutes ago, partyon said:

@Sleepy Owl I don't know much about manga or anime. Okay, I know a bit more about manga tbh.

I was just noticing that a lot of people were talking about them on the add-subtract thread, so I thought it would be fun to create its own thread for it here. :kiss_wink:

Are the animes you listed of the action genre?

K-dramas come first for me as well, but I am always fascinated that so many k-dramas are based on webtoons and mangas.
Isn't e.g. Cheese in the Trap based on a webtoon?

Yes Cheese in the trap is based on Anime.

Yeah all the above I mentioned are action anime except three of them. One of them is"Your Lie In April". It is mix of music, high school and slice of life type. 

The second one is Captain Tsubasa it based on football.

And Death note is more of a thriller. It lacks action. 

I forgot to mention that I have also watched "Code Geass". It is somewhat similar to death note, but the MC in this one is more calculative and manipulative than the Death Note's one. It had an open ending and after several years they released a movie last year which explained the ending made concluded the series quite well.

As for Tokyo Ghoul, Attack on Titan, Demon Slayer, and Parasyte are similar in genres. They all have one thing in common. That is there are creatures out there who are much stronger than Humans and prey on them. In Tokyo Ghoul, we have  ghouls who look like Humans but prey on them and eat them. In Attack on Titans we have Titans who are giants and eat humans. In Demon Slayer we have demons who eat humans and in Parasyte we have organisms who are alien, and they gain control of humans and become monsters who look like humans but eat them. So the humans in all these anime, try to fight, survive and MC is also part of it. But these are graphic anime. Especially Attack on Titan. It is the Game of Thrones of anime world according to many, because your favorite character is gonna DIE.

Fullmetal Alchemist is my most favorite one. It is mix of everything. Story is about 2 brothers who become Alchemist and search for Philosopher's stone for certain reasons. This is the highest rated anime too. 

As for webtoons they are also called Manhwas. I am currently reading Solo Leveling and have caught up Tower of God. both are good. And yes many Kdramas are based on webtoons. Most recent one being Backstreet Rookie which was based on an Adult Manwa. This actually caused controversy and people protested in korea as they didn't want a Kdrama with +15 rating be aired which was based on 18+ rated Manhwa.

Yes Cheese in the Trap was also based on Manhwa.

But out of all the above, I'd suggest you Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Attack on Titan, Demon Slayer and Parasyte. 

For Manga I'd suggest Tokyo Ghoul (you could watch season 1 and follow manga season 2 onward). Then read Tokyo Ghoul re: which is continuation of Tokyo Ghoul. In Manhwas since I have read two, I'd suggest Tower of God. It is a fresh concept, and very good. I will tell you about Solo Leveling or not when I catch it up. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, Berou said:

What are other animes you have watched ? :)

Yeah coloured mangas are really beautiful !

I used to draw mangas characters a lot. One of my relatives who went to arts school was impressed by my drawings and told me I should pursue and continue drawing.  

I watched the live action/ movie of Tokyo Ghoul. I was impressed  by the quality, sometimes mangas adaptions are a failure.  I don't know how much the movie was faithful to the manga, I enjoyed it a lot. If I get time one day I might read the manga.  

Since @partyon likes the drawings 

Tokyo Ghoul

Cr

One thing that I find funny while watching Captain Tsubasa is the never ending cross pitch scenes. While watching it I felt it took forever to cross the pitch

One of the main reasons many people give up reading Manga is because they are black and white. Something that Korean Manhwas have addressed very nicely. In my opinion that there many Manhwas out there that are much better than the famous mangas but are overshadowed due to being less popular. 

I don't know whether you have read Attack on Titan Manga. It comes on the monthly basis, so it's chapters are long, 40-50 pages long. I read Tower of God, it was a weekly Manhwa and it was as long as Attack on Titan while being colored at the same time. I mean coloring is of course an additional task and maybe sometimes harder than drawing just black and white. At the same time I think the reason mangas come out black n white is because they want to maintain the tradition of black n white comics coming out since very long. It looks like they want to preserve the identity of their comics and so they publish black n white mangas. 

And yes Tokyo Ghoul live action movie was good, at least better than many live adaptations. I even liked like action movie of Bleach and Death note (jap vers.). The reason I told to read the manga instead of anime because anime did no justice to manga. They completely changed the story in the second season which caused a lot confusion non manga readers in 3rd season. Also the anime for Tokyo Ghoul re: removed a lot of important scenes just to make anime 24 eps long. 

Yeah in Captain Tsubasa I remember many episodes ending after showing run on the pitch for a while. Back then when I watched it I was still a kid and so I would get frustrated and had to wait whole week to watch what would happen next :D.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

okay big sis @partyonmanhwa is the korean word for comics.

anime is a japanese style of animating that usually is aimed at children or adults.

manga is japanese comics that (like anime) r aimed at children and adults.

webtoons r online comics usually found on the app webtoon or on the internet.

series r things in a group such as episodes of a tv show or books (such as Hero Academia or Death Note)

i hope this helps u understand it better big sis! 

:heart1:

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Berou said:

I'm replying an eternity later ....

As i've said it's been a while I've read mangas or watched any animes, more precisely 10 years. I didn't differentiate between popular mangas or less popular ones. I've read pretty much everything that took my interest. 

Most of the mangas you've recommended are very recent  Tokyo ghoul, Attack on Titans, tower of god .... I've found out about Tokyo Ghoul last year :). I will read, one of these days when I have free time and I need to kill it,  Tokyo Ghoul. I really liked the movie, I mean the storyline. 

I've noticed the OST you recommended few weeks ago is Unravel from Tokyo Ghoul !

So.. What are attack on Titans and tower of god about ? 

Cr

No problem with the late reply though. Tokyo Ghoul was among the best selling mangas. Both Tokyo ghoul and Toyo ghoul re: (it was continuation of tokyo ghoul).

I hope you liked Tokyo Ghoul's unravel. It might seem funny to you, but I first heard unravel on a friend's recommendation and then went to see the anime because I loved that song very much.

As for Attack in Titan, it has got a simple story in the beginning but it gets complex as it goes ahead and it has become very complex in the ending chapters now. It is planned to finish in 2020 or early 2021. So its basic plot is that we have Mindless Giants called Titans. They eat humans, can't be killed easily, only way to kill them is cutting a part of their nape. So they are mindless and only attack humans to eat them. Because of this the Humanity has been living behind walls for around 100 years. Beyond the walls we have Titans lurking around. What happens is that suddenly the wall is breached by a colossal titans which causes the titans to enter the outer wall. We have three walls, so outer wall gets breached. The story is mainly focused on humanity trying to survive and fight those titans off. It is among the best Anime of last decade (2010-19) and best selling manga. The story gets by every chapter with mysteries and extremely nice twists. Now the story is at a stage where the reader will actually question his own morals. 

As for Tower of God, the universe there is actually a tower. Not a normal tower, just imagine the current world having floors. The residents of the tower are called "Regulars" while those who came from outside are "Irregulars". We see an irregular called Bam try to climb the tower, to meet the girl he loved who left him to climb the tower. So to climb each floor, he needs to go through "Floor test". This Manhwa is also among the best selling Manhwa of Korea and is full of betrayals, conspiracies and unbreakable friendships. You can read this one on "Webtoon" app, which is the official platform hosting it. It is available in it for free.

I actually recommend them both to you. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So @Lmangla shared this thread. Currently I have completed 317 anime shows. @Jillia, Fushigi Yuugi is a classic. I understand that recently there is a remake of Fruits Basket. I haven’t watched it though. I once owned the manga series but I sent it to a fellow Soompi member this summer. She loves that manga and I didn’t love it that much.:sweatingbullets:

@Berou Death Note was probably one of the first anime series I watched. I didn’t like Light Yagami after episode 4 or so after I felt he crossed the line. I’m more a fan of L. Too bad about him.

@Sleepy Owl, Fullmetal Alchemist is one of my favorite series. It’s kind of gross/gory at times but I still enjoyed the story and characters. I think it’s a good story. Rurouni Kenshin is another favorite of mines in terms of manga. I don’t think it has a good anime adaptation that follows the manga.

I also liked Kingdom, Hunter x Hunter, Baccano, Morbito, Heroic Age, and One Punch Man to name a few. Kingdom was something I really liked because it covered army/battle strategies. I liked Demon Slayer too but sometimes it’s nice to take a break from demon this and demon that. I watched the first season of Attack on Titan but I haven’t watched anymore after that. I just recently started Black Clover over the recent shutdown and I liked it well enough I guess although some viewers seem to dislike it.  Myanimelist is a good source to read up on anime and keep a check on viewing just like Mydramalist.

@Sleepy Owl, about two nights ago I saw there’s an Inuyasha: Next Generation with the kids of the former protagonists so it piqued my interest and I watched the first three episodes just out of curiosity. I still have about 12 anime shows on hold so there’s always something to watch. Like I was watching Major which is a baseball anime even though I don’t like baseball. Heh. I still have to finish Prince of Tennis anime.

• Love 2

7 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

So @Lmangla shared this thread. Currently I have completed 317 anime shows. @Jillia, Fushigi Yuugi is a classic. I understand that recently there is a remake of Fruits Basket. I haven’t watched it though. I once owned the manga series but I sent it to a fellow Soompi member this summer. She loves that manga and I didn’t love it that much.:sweatingbullets:

@Berou Death Note was probably one of the first anime series I watched. I didn’t like Light Yagami after episode 4 or so after I felt he crossed the line. I’m more a fan of L. Too bad about him.

@Sleepy Owl, Fullmetal Alchemist is one of my favorite series. It’s kind of gross/gory at times but I still enjoyed the story and characters. I think it’s a good story. Rurouni Kenshin is another favorite of mines in terms of manga. I don’t think it has a good anime adaptation that follows the manga.

I also liked Kingdom, Hunter x Hunter, Baccano, Morbito, Heroic Age, and One Punch Man to name a few. Kingdom was something I really liked because it covered army/battle strategies. I liked Demon Slayer too but sometimes it’s nice to take a break from demon this and demon that. I watched the first season of Attack on Titan but I haven’t watched anymore after that. I just recently started Black Clover over the recent shutdown and I liked it well enough I guess although some viewers seem to dislike it.  Myanimelist is a good source to read of on anime and keep a check on viewing just like Mydramalist.

Chingu, the number of anime you have watch, I have watch that many Kdramas, maybe 5-6 lesser though. I would love to have a manga collection of myself, and I am actually planning to start with either Attack on Titan or Tokyo Ghoul's manga. 

Death Note was my first anime, I liked it until well you know what happened. Then the anime was really boring for the next 5-6 episodes, and once again gained pace in the final few episodes. Won't rate it among my most favorite ones, but yes it was really a good one. 

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood could actually be my most favorite one, sharing that position with Attack on Titan. I really loved Fullmetal Alchemist's story and overall story telling. Buying its Manga is also on my mind. Attack on Titan sure is quite gross/gory, but believe me the story will only get better and will not be limited to humanity fighting against Titans for survival. A lot has happened in Manga, and I got to say, only anime fans are not really mentally ready for what is coming their way in the 4th Season coming this December. 

I loved Demon Slayer, and even though it had the same repetitive plot of "done with this demon? Move to another one", I actually loved it a lot. I am desperately waiting for its movie to release on online platforms. Otherwise, with the exact release date not really confirmed, but it will be released in US/Canada somewhere in 2021. And seeing that I really feel like I will be watching the Second Season (which is confirmed to in production) before this movie. But since I have read the Manga, I still know what will happen. 

My friend has been telling me to watch Haikyuu and Fire Force, I was waiting for their ongoing season to end before starting. But since I am currently overloaded with dramas, I don't see it happening anytime soon. 

• Insightful 1