[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Song of Glory 锦绣长歌

Don Yu

On 7/15/2020 at 1:40 PM, hush puppy said:

Hi UnniSarah,  You are right.  There wasn’t really a definitive moment that made us understand why Shen Le Qing wanted to kill Li Ge soooo bad.  I can understand that she hates her for taking away all the attention.  But it didn’t make sense that Li Ge’s short time with her family was enough to provoke her so drastically. Like, the only reason is because she’s the antagonist, so she just has to do it and it’s part of her character to go crazy and want to kill the female lead.

A lot of the characters in this drama lack so much depth and characterization. Like, they have no other personality than the role they are supposed to portray.

But I do like this drama, for:

- the matured and assertive female lead

- the well-shot action scenes

I have no doubt that this is a good drama.  But it would be an even better drama, if only they have dared to approach it differently and more creatively

I think Shen Le Qing's uncle has been feeding her brain with poison. Uncle kept reminding her to take revenge on Shen family because Master Shen caused the death of her father because of his greediness for glory and power.  And also once LeGe is found, the mother told LQ to move out of her current place of lodging to another lodging. We all know that she should be grateful and all but she is a spoilt kid who wants to be the only daughter of Shen family. She's not happy that now she is known as 2nd lady instead 1st lady. She has long considered herself as young Lady and only daughter of the Shen Manor and treat LG as dead. But she showed her claws too early. Clearly not a very cunning person.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished eps 21 & 22.  Ep 22 is Great. So Exciting

Spoiler

Ep 21 is just about Li Ge getting ready for the wedding.

1) The Consort Sun is wicked to the core. Just look at the way she smiled or smirked. When she knew that Le Qing is Li Ge's sister & was the one who tried to poison Li Ge, she recruited Le Qing to her side - giving her a camouflaged duty of attending to her garden

2) Luckily Li Ge told her eldest brother & eventually her mother about Le Qing.

Ep 22 is the Wedding Day

1) It seems Li Ge's master is the Leader of a band of "assassins for hire". (Initially I thought he created this band of assassins because of a personal revenge & to help the orphans he saved.  Yes. we are still not clear of his origin  and motive). He was hired by one of Prince Peng Cheng's enemies (A Male). This "Male" ordered Li Ge's Master to kill off all the assasins involved, after the mission is accomplished.  It is clear here that Lu Yuan & Li Ge's Master are not acquainted.  (My guess is Lord Wang -Li Ge's eldest brother's girlfriend, Ze Jing's father. He bore a grudge on Emperor Wen & Gen Shen for the deaths of his 2 sons.  Also, he held a figurines in his palms, something which resembles 2 human shapes - his 2 sons I guess. Just a guess)

2) Lu Yuan told Consort Sun that Li Ge is the Assassin on her Birthday Banquet (ep 1).

She was shocked for a while but elated after that. And joined Lu Yuan in his plan for Prince Peng Cheng's wedding night

3) Li Ge's master gave the eldest male disciple (forgotten his name... Shao Xun) a specially poisoned knife. Instruction: Li Ge is supposed to use this poisoned knife - to make sure that Prince Peng Cheng will definitely die

4) Stupid Li Ge went ahead to stab Prince Peng Cheng and Hey Presto - they finally discovered each other's identity. Prince Peng Cheng told her not to be afraid. But now Prince Peng Cheng is "poisoned" and had to quickly find the Antidote. Ah. the stupid Li Ge.

5) Shao Xun appeared in their room & tried to kill off Prince Peng Cheng.  But in the malee, he had to grab Li Ge to escape with him

6) So the rest of the ep 22 is about everybody (Lu Yuan, Prince Jing Ling, Prince Peng Cheng's men) all looking for Li Ge - but each for a different motive

7) Li Ge's Master was also at the scene to:

- arrow-shoot a tip to Lu Yuan on where Li Ge & her Shao Xun will escape to

-  It seems that Shao Xun's shoes had something on them to leave a trail behind for Lu Yuan to follow

- The fight between Li Ge and Lu Yuan follows. Very well-shot and coordinated. Li Ge is about to win but her Master shot something like "a small blade" or "a needle like thing" at her.  She was weaken and unable to fight back. Was captured and taken back as prinsoner by Lu Yuan. They kept beating at her waist. (and I kept wondering how is she going to get pregnant in future...:w00t:)

8) Final Scene: Li Ge was rescued by Prince Peng Cheng's men.  Our dear Prince Jing Ling helps a lot.  I love Prince Jing Ling so much here. He is so good tonight

5 hours ago, hush puppy said:

I just finished eps 21 & 22.  Ep 22 is Great. So Exciting

Reveal hidden contents

Ep 21 is just about Li Ge getting ready for the wedding.

1) The Consort Sun is wicked to the core. Just look at the way she smiled or smirked. When she knew that Le Qing is Li Ge's sister & was the one who tried to poison Li Ge, she recruited Le Qing to her side - giving her a camouflaged duty of attending to her garden

2) Luckily Li Ge told her eldest brother & eventually her mother about Le Qing.

Ep 22 is the Wedding Day

1) It seems Li Ge's master is the Leader of a band of "assassins for hire". (Initially I thought he created this band of assassins because of a personal revenge & to help the orphans he saved.  Yes. we are still not clear of his origin  and motive). He was hired by one of Prince Peng Cheng's enemies (A Male). This "Male" ordered Li Ge's Master to kill off all the assasins involved, after the mission is accomplished.  It is clear here that Lu Yuan & Li Ge's Master are not acquainted.  (My guess is Prince Wang -Li Ge's eldest brother's girlfriend, Ze Jing's father. He bore a grudge on Prince Peng Cheng & Gen Shen for the deaths of his 2 sons.  Also, he held in his palms, something which resembles 2 human shapes - his 2 sons I guess. Just a guess)

2) Lu Yuan told Consort Sun that Li Ge is the Assassin on her Birthday Banquet (ep 1).

She was shocked for a while but elated after that. And joined Lu Yuan in his plan for Prince Peng Cheng's wedding night

3) Li Ge's master gave the eldest male disciple (forgotten his name... Shao Xun) a specially poisoned knife. Instruction: Li Ge is supposed to use this poisoned knife - to make sure that Prince Peng Cheng will definitely die

4) Stupid Li Ge went ahead to stab Prince Peng Cheng and Hey Presto - they finally discovered each other's identity. Prince Peng Cheng told her not to be afraid. But now Prince Peng Cheng is "poisoned" and had to quickly find the Antidote. Ah. the stupid Li Ge.

5) Shao Xun appeared in their room & tried to kill off Prince Peng Cheng.  But in the malee, he had to grab Li Ge to escape with him

6) So the rest of the ep 22 is about everybody (Lu Yuan, Prince Jing Ling, Prince Peng Cheng's men) all looking for Li Ge - but each for a different motive

7) Li Ge's Master was also at the scene to:

- arrow-shoot a tip to Lu Yuan on where Li Ge & her Shao Xun will escape to

-  It seems that Shao Xun's shoes had something on them to leave a trail behind for Lu Yuan to follow

- The fight between Li Ge and Lu Yuan follows. Very well-shot and coordinated. Li Ge is about to win but her Master shot something like "a small blade" or "a needle like thing" at her.  She was weaken and unable to fight back. Was captured and taken back as prinsoner by Lu Yuan. They kept beating at her waist. (and I kept wondering how is she going to get pregnant in future...:w00t:)

8) Final Scene: Li Ge was rescued by Prince Peng Cheng's men.  Our dear Prince Jing Ling helps a lot.  I love Prince Jing Ling so much here. He is so good tonight

Hush puppy thank you for your thoughts! I was so disappointed in LiGe. :( But you are right today's episodes were really exciting. So much suspense!

36 minutes ago, stella77 said:

I’ll catch up later on this weekend (after catching up on Tientsin Mystic 2) but am looking to read everyone’s comments as I watch! 

@stella77 Great to hear from you.  Miss you immensely. I'm beginning to wonder where the rest has gone to?  How is Tientsin Mystic 2?  Ep 22 is scintillating!!

It would be nice if all the lurkers will join the discussions too.

6 hours ago, tarjig said:

Hush puppy thank you for your thoughts! I was so disappointed in LiGe. :( But you are right today's episodes were really exciting. So much suspense!

Thank you for your kind words.  Love your comments

@Sobayaki  Where are you?  Which ep are you up to now?  Miss your contributions

Yes. By now I'm pretty sure who the hirer of the Assassins is

@hush puppy Thx! Did you watch Tientsin Mystic before? It is quite innovative for Cdrama and the cinematography, costumes and production is probably one of the best that I have seen in Chinese entertainment scene. The acting, direction and story is pretty good as well. I love Cdramas set in the Republican era but this one combines murder mysteries, humor, science and a touch of the supernatural to make it a fun show. I recommend it! I am watching season 2 with the new lead and he is good! 

But back to Lige and this drama, I can’t wait to catch up! I want Lige to find out the truth about Prince PC lol! 

Imagine when LiGe found out that it was her master's instruction to have all her sister assassins killed so as to leave no witness alive. Imagine the day she found that they were just pawns in political game and not a person precious to their master and all their missions carried out is not about getting rid of bad guys or for justice but being make used of and their life is of no value to their master ...just a profit number. How sad!

BTW... is the senior in love with LiGe?

5 hours ago, hush puppy said:

@Sobayaki  Where are you?  Which ep are you up to now?  Miss your contributions

I'm on ep 17. I'm sorry, I'll always be behind on this discussion because it scares me having to wait for new episodes on weekends. I'd rather watch continually but less episodes per day lol. But I did read your spoilers (I don't mind spoilers because I will still watch and enjoy).

Spoiler

I can't believe it took so long for the wedding to happen. I'm so excited to watch that fight scene now! And I'm disappointed to hear Le Qing followed Li Ge into the palace. Like really? Just go away already! She could've married to someone and continued living a good life in a well-off household instead of lowering her rank as a maid in the palace. I really hate her and yes, I agree her character lacks depth. :rage:

12 hours ago, stella77 said:

@hush puppy Thx!  1) Did you watch Tientsin Mystic before? It is quite innovative for Cdrama and the cinematography, costumes and production is probably one of the best that I have seen in Chinese entertainment scene. The acting, direction and story is pretty good as well. I love Cdramas set in the Republican era but this one combines murder mysteries, humor, science and a touch of the supernatural to make it a fun show. I recommend it! I am watching season 2 with the new lead and he is good! 

But 2) back to Lige and this drama, I can’t wait to catch up! I want Lige to find out the truth about Prince PC lol! 

@stella77  1) No I've not watched Tientsin Mystic before   2) Yes. Looking forward to your opinions

11 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

BTW... is the senior in love with LiGe?

No. He is falling in love with Lu Yuan's sister.  So is Prince Jing Ling. I wonder who she'll choose.  Shao Xun and Li Ge only have sibblings' affections for each other

11 hours ago, Sobayaki said:

I'm on ep 17. I'm sorry, I'll always be behind on this discussion because it scares me having to wait for new episodes on weekends. I'd rather watch continually but less episodes per day lol. But I did read your spoilers (I don't mind spoilers because I will still watch and enjoy).

Reveal hidden contents

I can't believe it took so long for the wedding to happen. I'm so excited to watch that fight scene now! And I'm disappointed to hear Le Qing followed Li Ge into the palace. Like really? Just go away already! She could've married to someone and continued living a good life in a well-off household instead of lowering her rank as a maid in the palace. I really hate her and yes, I agree her character lacks depth. :rage:

@Sobayaki  Smart guy!  So that you will always have fresh supplies.  Unlike us - having to wait impatiently every week.

You are right. Le Qing is so disgusting.  But now you can add another - Consort Sun (Prince Jing Ling's mother)

I just finished eps 23 & 24. Guess I'll not summarised them again.  Because I believe everyone is already up-to-date with this drama. Except for you, Sobayaki of course:w00t:.  Our wise guy.

Spoiler

But just to express my opinions:

1) not as exciting as ep 22

2) Shao Xun learnt a lesson here. He said now they cannot just listen to his Master or rumours. Have to justify by seeing with their own eyes (I have to add one more thing here.  I.e. at times what we see may not necessarily be the Truth either.  We have to use all our Patience & Wisdom to discern a Truth)

3) This drama is not just about Palace Politics. But also about Social Injustice, a War between the Classes.  The Gentry using their privileges and status to build up their wealth and to bully and trample the common people and poor

4) General Shen and his troops belong to the lower class.  His Lieutenants return home to find their families' land seized by the Court Ministers. Reason: Not enough funds from the taxes. So there are growing discontent among his troops. 

He has to stamp out such discontent by taking the blame on himself and have himself caned as a punishment.

I foresee Great Adversities will decend upon the Shen family.  All due to Li Ge's carelessness.  All the assassins have been lied to and brainwashed until they became "mental zombies".

5) Consort Sun (Royal Mother) has unleashed her fangs. I wonder if Prince Peng Cheng understood that now.

6) Princess Consort also begins to show signs of discontent. Especially when Prince Peng Cheng appeared so lovingly with Li Ge. I'll not be surprised if she starts to turn "malign" in the next episode

Ah!  My Poor Prince Peng Cheng

I am watching free via the web and my site hasn’t upload anything past episode 18 with subs last I checked. They like to upload in big batches. I will probably start watching tomorrow and binge through. 

Oh they’ve uploaded 19-24!! Yey!

Hello, I am up to episode 22!!!! I am going crazy, I need to watch on. 

Also, I wonder how the Princess Consort is going to react to the fact that Prince PC loves Lige. I really hope she doesn't turn evil. 

On 7/12/2020 at 4:50 PM, Don Yu said:

I wish this series did have some really good music, as well. 

Unfortunately, that is a weak part of this show.

I know, right? But I think with the last couple of eps, we are getting some! Like the one with the ending song, and one more I can't remember the scene. Exactly two instances, lol, out of 22 eps. 

10 hours ago, Don Yu said:

Are you all paying extra $ to watch ahead? 23-24...?

I am mostly only watching Croton on YouTube... For some reason they only uploaded one episode today.

I'm on YouTube too and I just watched all that they have; I thought there would be more too. :bawling: I tried elsewhere but the quality isn't as good. I guess I will wait...

On 7/17/2020 at 2:44 PM, Don Yu said:

Are you all paying extra $ to watch ahead? 23-24...?

I am mostly only watching Croton on YouTube... For some reason they only uploaded one episode today.

I usually download these episodes using bittorrent because I watch them on my iPad/iPhone. The English subtitles are usually online the same time the episodes are release.

Archived