[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Brilliant Heart Like Jade/The Sword and The Brocade 锦心似玉

sugarplum892

Atlast I had time to watch all the subbed episodes upto 30.  I was a little disappointed with shiyi niang.  When she was brave enough to reject all the physical advancements from hou ye, why did she not discuss her mother's death with him. Thank god she did when he gave her the divorce agreement when he was about to leave for Shandong.  And reg the advancements hou he made, I was really sad for him.  He was so dedicated and loved her whole heart but she did not allow him to touch her.  And that too she rejected him on those olden days.  If you like it or not, if a man approaces you for sex, you need to bend down your knees.  But he was such a gentleman he did touch her unapproved.  I felt really sorry for him.  

And I liked how Madam Qiao was brought to justice by both shiyi niang and hou ye.  Her crime was brought to light and was punished to become a nun.  I liked how Madam Xu told her mom when she requested to be linient with MQ.  She told if after knowing her bad deeds she tried to be linient with her she will again try to make mistakes and hence, she will never be linient with her.  

I liked how every time when shiyi niang was in danger hou ye came to her rescue.  After coming back home how he was a little distant with her and she felt guilty when he left her room after a talk with her and did not intend to sleep in her room.  

Wang yu's death is a good ending for all the bad things he did.  So, who is the killer?  I don't think DoW killed him.

So, new set of episodes to be released today and time for enjoyment for us fans.  Jaiyou!!!!!

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

I think Old Madame Xu can tolerate and forgive mistakes but not crimes. Old Madame Xu look highly upon the future generations of the Xu family hence she will never allowed any harm come to those children. Madame Qiao tampered with Yuan Niang's medication that cause her to miscarriage hence killing a Xu child. She brought in a dog to endanger the health of Zhun Ge is already a double whammy. It is a crime for a concubine to depose of the principal wife in order to gain the seat for yourself. Remember, Old Madame Xu told Madame Qiao she should not think of anything above her own station especially to a woman who think highly of hierarchy.

As for Madame Qiao pleading leniency for Qiao Lian Fang, Old Madame Xu told her that the alternative of Xu Ling Yi's punishment was to sent her to prison.

I believe Old Madame Xu is willing to make subtle changes if the reason behind it is justified.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, pad-hari said:

Atlast I had time to watch all the subbed episodes upto 30.  I was a little disappointed with shiyi niang.  When she was brave enough to reject all the physical advancements from hou ye, why did she not discuss her mother's death with him. Thank god she did when he gave her the divorce agreement when he was about to leave for Shandong.  And reg the advancements hou he made, I was really sad for him.  He was so dedicated and loved her whole heart but she did not allow him to touch her.  And that too she rejected him on those olden days.  If you like it or not, if a man approaces you for sex, you need to bend down your knees.  But he was such a gentleman he did touch her unapproved.  I felt really sorry for him.  

And I liked how Madam Qiao was brought to justice by both shiyi niang and hou ye.  Her crime was brought to light and was punished to become a nun.  I liked how Madam Xu told her mom when she requested to be linient with MQ.  She told if after knowing her bad deeds she tried to be linient with her she will again try to make mistakes and hence, she will never be linient with her.  

I liked how every time when shiyi niang was in danger hou ye came to her rescue.  After coming back home how he was a little distant with her and she felt guilty when he left her room after a talk with her and did not intend to sleep in her room.  

Wang yu's death is a good ending for all the bad things he did.  So, who is the killer?  I don't think DoW killed him.

So, new set of episodes to be released today and time for 9enjoyment for us fans.  Jaiyou!!!!!

The angst made sense for me  because XuLingyi invested his emotions.There wasn't a huge leap of logic needed as a viewer unlike other shows and for that my gratitude to the writers.I look forward to Mondays because of Sword and brocade.lol! The life of a drama viewer. 

• Like 5

I am currently reading the new posts. I usually dread Mondays but this show has me looking forward to it. Last Monday was great because my kids were on Spring break and I could watch this undisturbed while they played. Tomorrow is another story, I have to resist watching this show until the school day is over.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, pad-hari said:

So, new set of episodes to be released today and time for enjoyment for us fans.  Jaiyou!!!!!

@pad-hari I was a little disappointed too but at the same time, I liked this small character flaw which showed that she’s not perfect and gave her character growth. Shiyi-niang went from thinking of just her and her little circle (mom and DongQing) to becoming a wife and mother, accepting responsibility of being a family matron to becoming both a Xu and Luo (she had separated herself from both families intending to leave at first each time) and then finally fully becoming a life partner with LingYi. She was very torn when Ou YanXiang gave her all the evidence pointing to LingYi. Her mind has always been clouded when it came to finding her mother’s killer but she was also torn because she had already fallen in love with LingYi. She just didn’t fully embrace her feelings until she accidentally hurt him with the scissors and he tried to distance himself. That woke her up and allowed her to see that it was a little too obvious that the clues were set-up to mislead her and she shouldn’t have doubted LingYi or her heart.

From other forums, this is what they changed slightly from the novel. Shiyi-niang is only 16 when they get married and in the novel, they consummated on wedding night but then he held off after that until they were more comfortable with each other. In the drama, he attempted on wedding night then pulled back and held back until they were ready. I liked that they made both of them awkward in their closeness until after everything was clear between them. It made it a good contrast between LingYi and Shiyi-niang falling in love versus Qiao Yiniang’s one sided love-at-first-sight obsession. And it disproved Shiyi-niang’s first impression of LingYi which was that he was like other men who liked collecting women for their pleasure (she saw Qiao LinFeng in his arms when they first arrived at Xu manor for the banquet..Qiao LinFeng was always sneaking around looking to bump into him before she became a concubine so they would have been “caught” at some point). 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

So, the main scenario on focus for the 6 episodes to be released today  

1. Shiyi and lingyi are gonna divorce again and I think this time it may be from SY to separate herself from Xu family and save them.  Can a woman have the authority to give divorce to a man in those days??? 

2. Revelation of the boss for whom Concubine Qin is spying.  Obviously it is master Ou but it will be a shock for Xu family if Mm Qin was the mole. 

3. Will hupo finally find her sister????? And will she be paired with master Ou??

4. Erniang's enemity towards shiyi niang.

5. Dongqing and Linbo love matter. 

Looking forward to tonite's episodes.

• Like 7

Completely agree with @hello210, her 'mistake' makes her very human; she's been so good at everything, but obviously she gest a bit flustered and uncertain when it is to do with something so personal and emotional as her beloved mother and the murder. This gives her room to grow as a character for sure, as well as giving the drama the great push and pull of love. First, LingYi falls in love with her and woos her, then it's the other way round. Nice! I did think when watching, come on, tell him about your mother... but I can see her hesitation as she is starting to love him, but is so afraid of trusting him completely as she had to always just rely on herself and the small circle of her family. 

And from that wonderful little clip of ep 35, and beyond, my goodness it was worth it. It's just amazingly refreshing to see a period drama where the main couple have such a lovely, loving relationship. I think this is definitely its strength, so unusual, and so appreciated, lol. I hope there will be more. (also watching Xiao Chuo atm, where she's torn away from the man she loves, my goodness what heartache!) I will have to watch Minglan, as I hear it's a bit similar. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pad-hari said:

So, the main scenario on focus for the 6 episodes to be released today  

1. Shiyi and lingyi are gonna divorce again and I think this time it may be from SY to separate herself from Xu family and save them.  Can a woman have the authority to give divorce to a man in those days??? 

I think DonQing still has the divorce letter that LingYi wrote Shiyi-niang in ep28. I was thinking that when they are pushed to a corner because she’s implicated in something because of the Ou family’s schemes, she will use it to save the Xu family from sharing her fate. What I’m wondering is how Ou LiXing is going to do it since the whole embroidery set-up fails. Whatever it is, I’m wondering if it will involve Ou YanXing so that he can also get rid of his brother. Adultery was a crime punishable by death for both parties implicated during this time period and I think a lot of the audience thought that was why Daddy Tang’s character was added to the drama (wasn’t a character in novel)...to give the melodrama of 3rd party and catalyst in the Xu/Ou family feud. Or did the writer go a completely different route??

Also, Qin Yiniang (spy) is privy to everything that happened with Shiyi-niang which is how the Ou family knew to plant the evidences for her mom’s murder to make Shiyi-niang doubt LingYi at first. 

When I was reading up on the Ming Dynasty and marriage culture, women didn’t really have much rights. They couldn’t really initiate a divorce nor get re-married as a widow. If a widow got re-married, she forfeited her dowry and any inheritance from her husband. The only way to get re-married without loosing everything was if they were divorced by their husbands where they can retain their dowry. Husbands can divorce their wives by accusing them of breaking those Confucius rules of virtuous spouse but most men refrain from divorce since it’s seen as bad for both spouses since the husband couldn’t control/teach the wife. It’s said that most husbands will banish the wife to the remote farmstead to suffer instead of divorcing so that they can retain their reputation.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

46 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

Is Wallace the only actor who's voice is dubbed? I was watching it and the rest of the cast sound the same.

Interesting observation.  I’ve listened to Wallace speak on shows, BTS, and interviews. He speaks mandarin fine to me but I’m not a native mandarin speaker myself.  Wallace runs all his lines in mandarin while filming but because he has a bit of an accent (native Cantonese) they usually get his lines dubbed afterwards. It was cute when they did their live that Wallace was trying teach Seven some Cantonese while I think Seven tried to teach him something in her native dialect.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks!
  • Like 5

Looks like a Xu Ling Yi, Shi Yiniang and Master Lin is in a big production play to weed out the mole in Xu Mansion. The play is titled "The Runaway Wife". I think it has a casting call of everyone in Xu Mansion. Even a plot with making Dongqing to become Xu Ling Yi's concubine.

Qu Li Xing's mission for Madame Qin was to destroy Xu Ling Yi and Shi Yiniang's marriage. He even betray his own brother as the other man.

It is Old Madame Xu who made Madame Qin take a birth control potion before Xu Ling Yi married a principal wife. However, that potion took a toll on her health which caused her to miscarriage and henceforth can never have children again. So that is where her hatred for Xu family started.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

Is Wallace the only actor who's voice is dubbed? I was watching it and the rest of the cast sound the same.

I had a look on Baidu and it looks like Wallace and Diddi were both voiced dubbed but not the others.  Probably because Wallace was born in HK and lived in Taiwan so his accent is not the one they want for this.  Not sure about Diddi's voice ;) 

• Like 5

there are some juicy trailers on weibo today (thanks to whoever put a link a few pages ago). I don't really understand what they are saying completely (unless I freeze frame every second and look up many characters, which takes ages obviously, though I do it from time to time), but looks interesting, soooo looking forward to the next eps. 

Thanks @jacquelinetan for the explanation, I really wasn't sure of Madam Qin's motivation to carry out such betrayal (other than, you know, it's pretty common in all the dramas..). It's always the quiet ones you have to watch!  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PPB said:

there are some juicy trailers on weibo today (thanks to whoever put a link a few pages ago). I don't really understand what they are saying completely (unless I freeze frame every second and look up many characters, which takes ages obviously, though I do it from time to time), but looks interesting, soooo looking forward to the next eps. 

Thanks @jacquelinetan for the explanation, I really wasn't sure of Madam Qin's motivation to carry out such betrayal (other than, you know, it's pretty common in all the dramas..). It's always the quiet ones you have to watch!  

@PPB :lol: I take screen shots and use the google translate app. It’s not perfect but helps me get the gist of everything and is faster than looking up characters. 

Just getting through ep37 raw and worried about what Tao Mama would do to Shiyi-niang if she gets pregnant. I don’t trust her cause she’s loyal to Luo Tai-tai and I know Luo Tai-tai didn’t want Shiyi-niang to get pregnant because of Zhun-ge. These old servants back then were very loyal to their original masters. Hopefully she’s scared enough of Hou-ye to not do anything.

Love the size difference of LingYi and Shiyi-niang...they’re too cute when they’re walking together holding hands in the court robes.

• Like 5

Question for those of you that has seen the new advanced episodes.

Spoiler

Is that Tong Yiniang in Qin Yinuang’s memory?  So Hupo’s sister used to be a concubine in the Xu Manor and to me the only one that makes sense for Luo Tai-Tai and Tao Mama to know is Tong Yiniang who was originally a maid from Luo family (Yuanniang’s dowery maid).  They just didn’t mention her actual name before so I’m not sure.  Thank goodness Qin Yiniang is not Hupo’s sister but it looks like Qin Yiniang’s going to exploit Hupo’s vulnerability which is her sister as part of the revenge.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hello210 said:

@PPB :lol: I take screen shots and use the google translate app. It’s not perfect but helps me get the gist of everything and is faster than looking up characters. 

Just getting through ep37 raw and worried about what Tao Mama would do to Shiyi-niang if she gets pregnant. I don’t trust her cause she’s loyal to Luo Tai-tai and I know Luo Tai-tai didn’t want Shiyi-niang to get pregnant because of Zhun-ge. These old servants back then were very loyal to their original masters. Hopefully she’s scared enough of Hou-ye to not do anything.

Love the size difference of LingYi and Shiyi-niang...they’re too cute when they’re walking together holding hands in the court robes.

thanks @hello210that's a great idea, it might save me a bit of time :)

• Like 1

The updated new poster.  The OTP look great.:kiss_wink::wub: her costume is so beautiful.  The production company has spend handsomely for the cast's costumes and also the set.  I especially like shiyi niang's room set up, the circular like entrance, door, window whatever.  It's amazing.  And also we should not forget the beautiful OST's.  Wow!! They are super good and melodious to hear esp. Zhou shen's and seven Tan's a special mention.

cuomCCK.jpg

Cr: weibo

Edit:. Anybody watched the new episodes already???? Can please give us soompiers some important happenings in each episode under the spoilers.  Thank you.

• Like 6