[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Brilliant Heart Like Jade/The Sword and The Brocade 锦心似玉

sugarplum892

2 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

I loved the OTP scenes we got in episodes 35 and 36, they were so cute :wub:.

me too, they are so in love, all those loving looks, beautiful. They do that well.

• Like 2

I have been a silent lurker on this thread throughout this drama but I have to say my piece now.  Why are SY and LY so doggone forgiving? I have fast forwarded to the last episode released (EP 42) and I don't get it.  

Spoiler

As predicted the madam without the kid (I think Madam Qiao) is the mole.  She is poisoned by Qu daddy. SY, LY, and Madam Xu are looking at her while she dies and LY is holding her in his arms.  WHY?! She did so much to destroy the family.  WHY?! 

I understand that Madam Xu did wrong in giving her the contraception and it caused her to lose any chance of having a kid, but she betrayed their family! I would not have consoled her (I know, I'm mean). But really?

I guess I need the subs to make more sense of it. But really, WHY?!

@tarjig lol. I don't need spoilers for this answer. That is because that's the way it rolls in Cdramas and Kdramas. That and horrible physical torture in historical dramas

Drives me batty each and every time.

I am torn between avoiding a good drama just because there is such physical torture. Or even flogging or paddling an adult's bottom for crying out loud.

So yeah this forgiveness issue is never understandable but it always happens. Gah.

Unless the other person dies. Or is exiled or becomes a recluse. Like seriously it sucks.

What makes me shudder is the finger clamping device I see in orher dramas. But yeah boy this beating someone till they die. Or rolling someone in a mat and beating them till they are dead are such a horrendous thing for a viewer to be subjected to.

Ergh.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, minglanfan2 said:

It looks like tencent may have put a plug on the sub episodes getting released free with only a little lag from it's vip customers.Once they think they it is okay for other sites to air the subbed episodes free we will get them. 

Thank you. I appreciate the response and explanation.

Madam Luo and Erniang's mom loyal enemies till death made them apart.They enjoyed a more closer relationship than each with their husband in life and death.

It is been rightly pointed out on the thread by many  thoughtful post writers how life in ancient China was stacked against women and their sufferings inside the harem. 

Women also were enslaved to the thought that legal wife and concubine can't live in harmony.They have to be bitter rivals and keep on conspiring.The idea of being peaceful and content was seen to be not worthy of consideration.

The verbal exchange between the two women just drove home the point more.The life long fights most often brought more misery than happiness yet they wouldn't think out of the box. When Shiyi tried to break the norm she received suspicion and distrust from all the concubines.What a pity! 

• Like 3

@pad-hari Translation for E44 preview (and bonus E45 too). To calm your nerves :wub:

Spoiler

0:07 - Are you Ok?

0:08 - Take the men and leave first.

0:09 - I’ll stop them.

0:16 - You.

0:22 - Luo Shi Yi Niang, being the main party of the case

0:23 - (for her) participation in smuggling

0:24 - Guilty (as charged)

0:27 - To be executed in three days’ time

0:36 - I will absolutely not give up on you.

0:44 – Xu Ling Yi

0:45 – If there is a next life

0:47 – Let us be husband and wife again

0:55 – The Emperor decrees

0:56 – In reply/response to Yong Ping Hou’s request

0:58 – To allow Shi Yi Niang

1:00 – A stay of execution for one month 

1:06 – We give thanks to the Emperor’s grace

E45 preview subs (in case you need them too)

0:09 – There’s no time

0:10 – I want to go save Shi Yi Niang

0:12 - Shi Yi Niang

0:14 – Is my Xiu family’s daughter-in-law

0:15 – Even if I were to

0:17 – Make a bet using the entire Xu family

0:21 – I will not give up

0:25 – The time (for execution) has come

0:27 – Thank you mother

0:28 – for risking (yourself) to safeguard/stick up for

0:31 – Don’t kill her

0:39 – This game of chess

0:42 – It’s me that has lost

0:45 – If not for fate that makes it so

0:47 – Compared with Xu Ling Yi

0:48 – I should be more suited to you

0:51 – The Emperor decrees

0:54 - Yong Ping Hou’s wife Lou Shi

0:57 – is bestowed Gao Ming Fu Ren (an honorary title conferred by imperial mandate)

1:01 – accept this decree

• Love 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, minglanfan2 said:

Madam Luo and Erniang's mom loyal enemies till death made them apart.They enjoyed a more closer relationship than each with their husband in life and death.

It is been rightly pointed out on the thread by many  thoughtful post writers how life in ancient China was stacked against women and their sufferings inside the harem. 

Women also were enslaved to the thought that legal wife and concubine can't live in harmony.They have to be bitter rivals and keep on conspiring.The idea of being peaceful and content was seen to be not worthy of consideration.

The verbal exchange between the two women just drove home the point more.The life long fights most often brought more misery than happiness yet they wouldn't think out of the box. When Shiyi tried to break the norm she received suspicion and distrust from all the concubines.What a pity! 

It was a pity. But the system is very failed. Who in their right minds if they loved their husbands are willing to share him. Plus there is a hierarchy. The main wife is mother to all the children. 
The only power these women get is if their husband favors them. So can easily see these women conspiring against each other. It is very sad. 
Very few people can live harmoniously like that. 

Also Shiyinang was kind and civil to them. But she didn’t love her husband then. You think that she would’ve been happy after they declared his love for her for him to visit and be intimate with his concubines. She could probably tolerate him visiting them but she wouldn’t be happy about it. What about he caved in and got a new concubine? How will she feel? It will eat at their relationship, esp if he has to be intimate with them. 
To make this drama a romantic one, Xu Lingyi is depicted as a man who showed no interest in his concubinew because he doesn’t love them and doesn’t even have much affection for them. They are his responsibility, any affection he had for them are long gone. 

I feel that these women were placed in this vicious cycle and they perpetuated it too. But this system ultimately benefited the men. It is also awful that if I women doesn’t allow her husband to have concubines she will have a reputation of being jealous. The women are expected to be sisters and treat each other as such. But how many really can? I am so glad this practice has been abolished in China. 

And the excuse of having multiple wives for the emperor in order to have heirs. How many heirs did the Emperors end up having after they succumbed to plotting. Granting infant mortality was high but look at Europe, the monarchs in  European countries had plenty of kids.

Having concubines only made men happy. And it was sad that the wealthy women during that time period didn’t know how bad the system was and kept on giving concubines to there husbands to keep him from straying. But feel that the poor people had much happier marriages than alot of the wealthy.
Look at the movie  Raise the red kantern. How disgusting for a man who man to get a young concubine for himself when he wouldn’t even get a wife for his grown son. His new concubine is the perfect age for his son and he has to think of her as another “mother.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hvnlyangel said:

It was a pity. But the system is very failed. Who in their right minds if they loved their husbands are willing to share him. Plus there is a hierarchy. The main wife is mother to all the children. 
The only power these women get is if their husband favors them. So can easily see these women conspiring against each other. It is very sad. 
Very few people can live harmoniously like that. 

Also Shiyinang was kind and civil to them. But she didn’t love her husband then. You think that she would’ve been happy after they declared his love for her for him to visit and be intimate with his concubines. She could probably tolerate him visiting them but she wouldn’t be happy about it. What about he caved in and got a new concubine? How will she feel? It will eat at their relationship, esp if he has to be intimate with them. 
To make this drama a romantic one, Xu Lingyi is depicted as a man who showed no interest in his concubinew because he doesn’t love them and doesn’t even have much affection for them. They are his responsibility, any affection he had for them are long gone. 

I feel that these women were placed in this vicious cycle and they perpetuated it too. But this system ultimately benefited the men. It is also awful that if I women doesn’t allow her husband to have concubines she will have a reputation of being jealous. The women are expected to be sisters and treat each other as such. But how many really can? I am so glad this practice has been abolished in China. 

And the excuse of having multiple wives for the emperor in order to have heirs. How many heirs did the Emperors end up having after they succumbed to plotting. Granting infant mortality was high but look at Europe, the monarchs in  European countries had plenty of kids.

Having concubines only made men happy. And it was sad that the wealthy women during that time period didn’t know how bad the system was and kept on giving concubines to there husbands to keep him from straying. But feel that the poor people had much happier marriages than alot of the wealthy.
Look at the movie  Raise the red kantern. How disgusting for a man who man to get a young concubine for himself when he wouldn’t even get a wife for his grown son. His new concubine is the perfect age for his son and he has to think of her as another “mother.”

Of course the system was horrendous.A practice set up by men to benefit them but women to lend their tacit support in enforcing it.They didn't know there could be a better way to live than the scheming,plotting and killing.If only 

the women of those times who enjoyed power tried to bring in reforms for her own kind.But it never worked that way.They made the horrible roots grow deeper and stronger.

To speculate Shiyi would be devastated if he took another concubine. We see that play out as a trap to lure the Ou spy in Xu mansion. Going by how her character profile has been..she has taken it in her stride the fact that her husband practised polygamy.She was sad that he went to meet concubine Wen but wasn't jealous or baying for revenge.

I suddenly remembered O'Lan in Pearl Buck's Good Earth while reading your post..The good wife who gave it all for her family even killing her daughter so that the family can survive starvation.Yet when her husband prospers he gets a concubine and casts her aside.Her care,contribution to his prosperity,family all forgotten in a jiffy.Though I read the book ages ago,could never forget the hardship,pain,apathy that she experienced as a reward for her selfless devotion.The conditioning of the thought process of women in olden times  was so bad that she considered spending money on her treatment a waste as it could buy a good plot of land.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, PPB said:

me too, they are so in love, all those loving looks, beautiful. They do that well.

It was so amazing to see agreed, Finally.

2 hours ago, SC2019 said:

@pad-hari Translation for E44 preview (and bonus E45 too). To calm your nerves 

Hide contents

0:07 - Are you Ok?

0:08 - Take the men and leave first.

0:09 - I’ll stop them.

0:16 - You.

0:22 - Luo Shi Yi Niang, being the main party of the case

0:23 - (for her) participation in smuggling

0:24 - Guilty (as charged)

0:27 - To be executed in three days’ time

0:36 - I will absolutely not give up on you.

0:44 – Xu Ling Yi

0:45 – If there is a next life

0:47 – Let us be husband and wife again

0:55 – The Emperor decrees

0:56 – In reply/response to Yong Ping Hou’s request

0:58 – To allow Shi Yi Niang

1:00 – A stay of execution for one month 

1:06 – We give thanks to the Emperor’s grace

E45 preview subs (in case you need them too)

0:09 – There’s no time

0:10 – I want to go save Shi Yi Niang

0:12 - Shi Yi Niang

0:14 – Is my Xiu family’s daughter-in-law

0:15 – Even if I were to

0:17 – Make a bet using the entire Xu family

0:21 – I will not give up

0:25 – The time (for execution) has come

0:27 – Thank you mother

0:28 – for risking (yourself) to safeguard/stick up for

0:31 – Don’t kill her

0:39 – This game of chess

0:42 – It’s me that has lost

0:45 – If not for fate that makes it so

0:47 – Compared with Xu Ling Yi

0:48 – I should be more suited to you

0:51 – The Emperor decrees

0:54 - Yong Ping Hou’s wife Lou Shi

0:57 – is bestowed Gao Ming Fu Ren (an honorary title conferred by imperial mandate)

1:01 – accept this decree

Thanks so much for sharing the translation:)

• Like 2

@minglanfan2 and @Hvnlyangel I so agree... I love these dramas, but wow, it was so tough for women. There can't be many who willingly share their partners, and in fact it really is a recipe for disaster all around (except, possibly, for the man of the house, and even then... No harmony! ). It's really hard to even concieve what horrendous life they must have had.

That's why I'm so enjoying this drama, unrealistic I suppose, but more towards a modern point of view, the great love and respect of two people.

@SC2019 many thanks for the translation, much appreciated.

I'll be very sorry to see the demise of the second Ou son... IF that is what's happening... I suppose there has to be a sacrificial lamb, and I'd rather have our lovely couple heading toward happiness than not Still.... He is/was such a nice character.. :bawling:

• Like 3

On 3/24/2021 at 8:07 PM, ck1Oz said:

For those of you who understand. Thank goodness now I have a better idea how things pan out. 

Whew. And sorry to the fans for the 2nd Ou son.

Finally found a link that works for me to watch ep45 preview so I can see who said what :lol:  It’s funny that they use the words “not fated together”...umm yeah...he wasn’t part of the novel :rolleyes: 

But in terms of the drama, Ou YanXing is a nice person but I would have to disagree with him about being more suitable for Shiyi-niang. They would be compatible since they are similar as Shiyi-niang in the beginning was all about independence and business and freedom from birth family, but compatibility and suitability are two different things.  Just my opinion, but I feel he’d be too accommodating and for that time period, based on her personality, Shiyi-niang needed someone who can not only help her flourish as her own person but also knows how to pull her back from compromising herself when needed which is what LingYi does for her.  

@SC2019 Thanks for the translation.

On 3/25/2021 at 3:29 AM, ck1Oz said:

Ep 35 and 36 are up on viki. Thank goodness. Even though I am still on ep 27 I've been dying to watch ep 35 subbed.

I don't see it on the streaming sites and YT subbed yet.

From what I’ve seen Viki is pretty much on the same pace as the Tencent VIP...which is subs available up to ep36. I have both right now and the only advantage is that it’s available on the Tencent (VIP) app in the morning versus later in the day on Viki. 

• Insightful 1

I don't have Tencent VIP membership but have viki. I am not sure if I will watch enough Cdramas to justify paying for it. However I just sub on viki so I don't pay for membership.

Ou YX was in prison. So that's his fate? I think they would have just gone through married life peacefully. But it would be kind of boring. However they would not have survived in the capital with all the politics as a couple. He would have kept her sheltered and ignorant. Besides he is so passive he is kind of boring. This is separate from the actor since I just saw his other drama before this drama. And boy his character there was assertive and pursuing the FL more aggressively.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

I don't have Tencent VIP msmeber but have viki. I am not sure if I will watch enough Cdramas to justify paying for it. However I just sub on viki so I don't pay for membership.

Ou YX was in prison. So that's his fate? I think they would have just gone through married life peacefully. But it would be kind of boring. However they would not have survived in the capital with all the politics as a couple. He would have kept her sheltered and ignorant. Besides he is so passive he is kind of boring. This is separate from the actor since I just saw his other drama before this drama. And boy his character there was assertive and pursuing the FL more aggressively.

I just signed up for Tencent short term because of this drama and may not keep it since I get both C-drama and K-drama on Viki. I didn’t realize the fast-tracked episodes weren’t available to international viewers. It really was kind of a waste since Viki and Tencent VIP released episodes on the same day.

Yeah, lol...Ou YanXing is definitely different from Wen ShaoQing.