[OFFICIAL] Ik♥️Song Nation - ALOHA COUPLE - Flower♥️Clown - 99ers

Hi everyone! Been looking for Iksong forum since WG has a thread of its own and it's buzzing but really chill there hehe. Whilst everyone been talking about Iksong's parallelism and future development, I want to share some amazing fics because recently Hospital Playlist's tag on AO3 had a surge of Iksong fics and they are absolute golden :wub:  They are also very much angst ridden but since we already have a confirmation from Shin PD that this ship will be endgame (even it'll probably take seasons for this to happen lmao), let's think it as a treat before S2 starts!

light of my life by choi_kimmy

https://archiveofourown.org/works/24456205/chapters/59018476

to the warmth we had before by Hospitalplayliststan

https://archiveofourown.org/works/24613576

in movement with your heart. by justhete

https://archiveofourown.org/works/24584755

if the world was ending, you'd come over, right? by chocosoes

https://archiveofourown.org/works/24609364

The first one especially, it hurts so good I want to combust!!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 3

On 6/9/2020 at 8:07 PM, ryanallright said:

I think U-ju knew Songhwa when Ikjoon was introduced during ep.1 but just not familiar enough yet to greet her immediately.

Therefore when Ikjoon left U-ju under the care of Songhwa, U-ju did not appeared uncomfortable or threw any tantrum. 

So, U-ju might not have many chances to meet the rest of the 99s to get familiar with them to even greet them immediately upon seeing them.

I also feel that before ep.1, their relationship might also had drifted apart by a little until ep.1 brought them together again which in turns solidified their friendship again.

Yes, I agree with this explanation. Uju is a good son and he will follow what his Daddy said. So, I think when he ask SongHwa to took care of Uju and told Uju to be with SongHwa while he did the surgery, Uju would happily do it. And I agree, maybe they had met before but not to the point that Uju would go to her whenever she met her. But I'm glad that after episode 1, we saw (or knew) some other good moments of Uju with the gank :)

And yes, they might not meet frequently before episode 1, because Junwan told Jeongwon he prefer went on date than met the gank. So, thankfully SeokHyeong went back to SK and asked for a band haha.

Maybe Ikjun-Songhwa relationship will potray Jongsu-Rosa relationship if only Jongsu-Rosa are much younger than now. I mean, in their ages, maybe they won't think about romance and marriage the way Ikjun-Songhwa will develop their romance soon. Ikjun and Songhwa still in the age for romance and marriage, so let's hope that their journey will show us some funny moments like Jongsu-Rosa and also romantic scenes :)

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Let us not forget in ep10, when Jungwon mentioned to Songhwa that she also loved kids, she replied not really but her nephews and U-ju are adorable. She also haven't seen U-ju for a while.

Later in the ep, she even went to Ikjoon's house to take care of U-ju.

The building of dynamics is there.

PkDrsB2.gif

cr. shooong for the gif

Look at how she look at her left 1st (where JungWon and SeokHyeong are seated) before looking towards her right (where Junwan and Ikjoon are seated) before tilting her head a bit more (because Ikjoon is in the corner so she just wanna make sure where he is :))

In a logical scenario, the 4 guys would probably let her be seated in the centre where there is more space for a lady and they just met.

Why would she chose to squeeze herself in the tight corner and sit beside Ikjoon? Because she chose to squeeze at the corner, seated beside Ikjoon.

In most of the behind the scene, the 4 guys usually let Mido be in the centre which is a logical thing gentlemen/guys will do when they are taking group photos.

YNQzI3F.jpg

Ikjoon squeezing towards Junwan to create space for Songhwa

Xf6dkko.jpg

Before Songhwa suggest a group pic, had to look at Ikjoon and said 'it is fate that we could meet in this manner'

Of course, in later episode, we knew that this is not the first time Ikjoon and Songhwa met. Both of them clearly remember one another when they were in the shed. Why would Ikjoon avoiding her gaze?

Just reposting what I shared on main thread

• Like 4
  • Love 5
  • Insightful 1

8 hours ago, sovietspy said:

Hi everyone! Been looking for Iksong forum since WG has a thread of its own and it's buzzing but really chill there hehe. Whilst everyone been talking about Iksong's parallelism and future development, I want to share some amazing fics because recently Hospital Playlist's tag on AO3 had a surge of Iksong fics and they are absolute golden :wub:  They are also very much angst ridden but since we already have a confirmation from Shin PD that this ship will be endgame (even it'll probably take seasons for this to happen lmao), let's think it as a treat before S2 starts!

light of my life by choi_kimmy

https://archiveofourown.org/works/24456205/chapters/59018476

to the warmth we had before by Hospitalplayliststan

https://archiveofourown.org/works/24613576

in movement with your heart. by justhete

https://archiveofourown.org/works/24584755

if the world was ending, you'd come over, right? by chocosoes

https://archiveofourown.org/works/24609364

The first one especially, it hurts so good I want to combust!!

I am currently reading the first fiction. It is so good. Thank you for sharing.:wub:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I already watching episode 2. And when song hwa got phone call from her mother in the car. She on the way to hospital. Her mother said “get here, talk with your daughter?”( minute 78:02) . Anybody know about this?. So song hwa have a child? all this time I read the main thread, but didn’t found discussion about this.  I thought that I saw the wrong translate. Please let me know. And sorry for my bad english 

Edited by Malis

1 hour ago, Malis said:

I already watching episode 2. And when song hwa got phone call from her mother in the car. She on the way to hospital. Her mother said “get here, talk with your daughter?”( minute 78:02) . Anybody know about this?. So song hwa have a child? all this time I read the main thread, but didn’t found discussion about this.  I thought that I saw the wrong translate. Please let me know. And sorry for my bad english 

Are you talking about the scene where Songhwa thanks her mother for bringing her into the world on her birthday while she was driving? The “talk to your daughter part” is the mother talking to her dad in the background to come wish Songhwa happy birthday or to talk to her on her birthday.

• Like 1

Hello again, Chingu-deul!!! :lol: It's the start of episode 2 rewatch and I'll be sharing my thoughts below. I would actually like to read some your insights before I post but I can only work on the rewatch during weekends HUHU and I might need to do some work later on so I'll go ahead and post it now anyway :)

A while back, I posted on the main thread about the significance of the songs to the narrative and how they show the POV of the singers. And since most are sung by IJ, I keep reading the songs into IkSong’s context. So I’ll probably continue doing so in this thread HAHA.

Throughout the course of the airing of the drama a lot of us have been frustrated because we weren’t given much POVs from SHwa. I personally felt an air of mystery from SHwa because of this and because of the fact that I haven’t really seen much of her flaws. But upon rewatching, I got to have a clearer view how even from the first two episodes, we were already given quite a lot of material on SHwa.

SHwa is painted as a strong, independent woman. The modern woman who is confident and self-sufficient. Everyone is amazed at how she as able to squeeze everything into her day because it seems so impossible (which is taking a toll on her health apparently). She seems to have everything under her control and she’s always level-headed and objective that you can be confident on her opinion. Praised as an achiever, she's used to accomplishing things on her own. She arranged IJ’s first surgery in Yulje all by herself and as I’m observing how she teaches her students, she also has the tendency to take things into her own hands. No one can question her capabilities. But when you’re always so self-sufficient, it could also get lonely at times. When you’re always the pillar, don’t you reach a point where it’s hard to bear all the weight by yourself? We might not see it, but she has her own weaknesses and struggles. She’s human afterall. But she has mastered being strong and independent that she is able to keep her composure even in the toughest times. Nonetheless, this doesn’t mean she isn’t shaken inside.

I think the first two OSTs of the drama sung by SHwa show this POV of loneliness. In the first episode, despite the fact that she was dating Prof. Jang, it seems like she wasn’t really attached seeing that she wasn’t affected much of their breakup. This shows that even if she was in a relationship, she has maintained a certain distance from her partner causing her to still feel alone. This loneliness may have been reinforced by her recollection of the past as she sung “Lonely Night”. In the second episode, we are transported to the past where she sung “Introduce Me a Good Person” which is about wanting to meet someone new to forget loneliness. In the past, SHwa most likely sung the song looking forward to her planned meet-up with IJ. On the other hand, the song carried over to her humming in the present where she has just broken up with Dr. Jang. It was her birthday again, reminding her of the day that IJ was supposed to confess.

Strong independent women avoid being vulnerable. I believe another chingu has mentioned this before and I’m so happy it was brought up because I also think that SHwa struggles with vulnerability. SHwa still feels mostly comfortable being alone. Letting someone in would disrupt her status quo and would present herself vulnerable to another. This is why despite the occasional loneliness, she continues to depend solely on herself.

These POVs can be seen more clearly through the scenes of the episode, specifically with her high-school friend and patient, Ba-ram. I think Ba-ram was used to foreshadow SHwa’s breast-cancer scare and to mirror her. Ba-ram hated the stares she got from her roommates because she felt vulnerable to their judgements. She also kept denying her need for accompaniment downplaying the fact that her husband wasn’t there during her breast cancer surgery and saying that it’s okay for her to die alone now. But as soon as Ba-ram’s husband arrives, you could immediately see some weight off her shoulders and suddenly she sheds her tough exterior. SHwa watches this scene with a soft gaze to which Seokmin says “Are you envious? You should date.” SHwa begrudgingly replies “I don’t want to. I like being single.”

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think SHwa is lying when she says she likes being single. Depending on herself is her comfort zone after all. She fully enjoys her own company but it doesn’t mean she doesn’t appreciate (and possibly sometimes subconsciously prefer) the company of others. We know SHwa isn’t totally against dating. In fact, she wouldn’t have dated Prof. Jang if she had really preferred to remain single, even if their relationship had a wall. In her conversation with her mom, she said she was fine and that she could live without him. Or she could just get a new boyfriend. Then IJ suddenly arrived right on cue foreshadowing the direction of their story. 

But at this point IJ is still out of the question since he is committed. We see SHwa creating a wall between them. She asks “Are you trying to be funny?” when we know how much she loves IJ’s jokes. Just when we thought they’ll be eating together alone, SHwa brought up eating with everyone else, which was actually the plan right from the start. Even in the kalguksu scene, as IJ joked around, SHwa only showed a brief smile. In turn, IJ also didn’t bother getting involved in the discussion on Dr. Jang’s cheating. Both IJ and SHwa knew their boundaries. At this point in time, even if they’re spending more time together like before, they are doing so as friends, along with their other friends. IJ’s life to continue revolving around the hospital and Uju, and SHwa to continue living as the accomplished woman that she is, juggling her time between her patients and students.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 9

2 hours ago, KDramaFan0828 said:

SHwa is painted as a strong, independent woman. The modern woman who is confident and self-sufficient. Everyone is amazed at how she as able to squeeze everything into her day because it seems so impossible (which is taking a toll on her health apparently). She seems to have everything under her control and she’s always level-headed and objective that you can be confident on her opinion. Praised as an achiever, she's used to accomplishing things on her own. She arranged IJ’s first surgery in Yulje all by herself and as I’m observing how she teaches her students, she also has the tendency to take things into her own hands. No one can question her capabilities. But when you’re always so self-sufficient, it could also get lonely at times. When you’re always the pillar, don’t you reach a point where it’s hard to bear all the weight by yourself? We might not see it, but she has her own weaknesses and struggles. She’s human afterall. But she has mastered being strong and independent that she is able to keep her composure even in the toughest times. Nonetheless, this doesn’t mean she isn’t shaken inside.

I love your detailed analysis and reasoning behind SHwa, all the while respecting her love for solo independence as a female and yet not downplaying how we all need some good company at times in life. SHwa is no doubt my favourite character in HP, and often it's because of her character being such a strong supporting pillar in the 99s friendship group, and how refreshing it is to have a capable, inspiring woman in Kdrama yet all the while being sweet, kind and not at all intimidating to her peers and subordinates. As I re-watched all the episodes, I really enjoyed the way the writer peppered snippets and insights of her story and weaved it into the main storyline, be it her friendship with all the boys or her potential loveline with IJ.

She's portrayed as an extremely capable career woman, and I really think the Daddy Long-legs Program scene in ep 4 (jumping ahead here) explained a lot about her personality traits, with her taking all the reins and charging on despite CH offering his help multiple times. That's also one of the reason I was never onboard the SHwa-CH ship because he's always shown as missing his timing and a step behind (be it his courting actions or his confession).

Interestingly with IJ, we are able to see more sides of the human Songhwa and not just wonder woman ghost Professor Chae, but more of her insecure vulnerability and (lack of better term) the more fragile side of her as a woman. That look she had when she saw IK waiting at the hospital for her review during the breast diagnosis scare and knowing that won't be alone facing this? Or the one she gave IK when they were about to enter the room for the doctor's review? Oopf, she's definitely looking for assurance, and IK has always been there to support her during all these times when she needs someone to be with her.

The camera perspectives and intercut scenes by Director Shin have always been very deliberate in his shows, and I have no doubts the same for HP.  We were shown quite a number of fleeting scenes since ep 1 of the camera panning to SHwa and her reactions to IJ and his actions like below, and I think it's pretty obvious how intentional the writer and director have been in setting the backstory between them from the start to the transition point around ep 4 when IJ got divorced.

- Ep 1: The scene of SHwa smiling outside the door when IJ's surgery was a success and he wanted her to inform the patient's family instead of him doing it.

- Ep 2: At the flashback scene with SHwa was singing "Introduce me a good person", the exact lyrics when she was pointing out the cake and smiling to IK after was "I want someone caring who noticed even small details". Totally apt for the someone who's always there at the right timing when she needs someone and  silently expressing his care in the most IK way ever (nothing better than getting your morning coffee delivered the instant you craved for it).

There are so many more and I really can't wait as we rewatch all the eps again to relive the story between two life-long friends and count down till season 2 to find out the meaning behind SHwa's deep love for rainy days. I'm sure it's gonna be all sentimental and romantic, and definitely linked to her first love IJ.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 6

I have not yet finished on Ep2. :sweatingbullets:

But I found this cute thread in twitter: Compilation of Songhwa smiling/laughing at Ikju:

Link of full thread:

Spoiler

My favourite are:

The throwback of band practivcing

And of course, the significant scene for Iksong in Ep 6

"Seriously? Why are you here?" "Why do you think? I came because I'm worried."

EaYQ1ShU4AAXMv7?format=jpg&name=medium

EaYQ1fAU8AAtj8M?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Just a few observations/opinions on Episode 2 :D

1. In the phonecall with her mom, SongHwa says “I broke up with him… I’m not in my 20s. I’m okay. I’m busy… it’s better this way. I can live without him or get new boyfriend.” Maybe this alludes to her 20s, a time when she got her heart broken and maybe her parents saw how much it broke her spirit? The timing of Ikjun here is perfect too, he can be the new boyfriend right? LOLSo Ikjun overhears and asks her about it, eventually he just compliments her on her singing. Maybe he did that in an attempt to dissipate the tension (because obviously, they have that boundary that neither dares cross), but he has that smile afterwards (like the smile we have when we find out our crush is single). 
  2. We almost always say that SongHwa seems to be unbothered by Dr Jang cheating on her. After thinking about it, maybe she just wasn’t as bothered as she could have been but obviously it still affected her. We see think in the way she was asking JunWan about his knowledge of Dr Jang’s affair and even to the point of asking him why he did not just tell her about it. I did read in one article of PD that the characters are in their 40s so not everyday is filled with melodramatic moments, and this seems to be especially true for doctors because we have surgeries to do and patients to see at our clinics. We can’t just let our heartbreaks get hold of our lives; maybe that’s why to us SongHwa seems to be rather cool about the breakup but that doesn’t mean it did not affect her at all. 
  3. After a looong hospital day, she comes out and massages her neck (showing that she’s probably tired and stressed with work). IJ passes by, says “I’m hungry shall we get kalguksu?” SongHwa seems really happy with the invitation but says, “Shall I call the others?” This scene probably just shows us that both are being very proper. I am not sure about Korean culture, but maybe in a way it doesn’t seem right for a married man to be seen with a single woman as it can seem like they’re out on a date. Which is why I think SongHwa was just being careful here. 
  4. She had hesitation about taking over the surgery, but eventually… she volunteered to assist. Even lying to say, “I don’t feel confident about doing TSA” even if we know she’s the expert there. She appeared like she did not want to meddle or get involved, but she really thought things through and in the end decided to assist in the surgery (she ended up doing the surgery herself right?).
  5. During the Wake: Jongsu asked “Nothing happened between you guys? “ and Rosa said, “Why would you do that? Why disturb the calm water?” SH admitting to liking SongHwa but that she said she liked someone else. People teased her saying that it’s a cookie cutter answer. “No I really did.” says SongHwa then she looks at Ikjun. She initially smiles then suddenly has this sad look in her eyes (maybe she remembered something?). 
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 5

My two cents regarding Episode 2 of HP.

1. Like episode 1, this episode also seemed to centre on SHwa. We understand that episode 1 was mostly character and hospital introduction, but SHWa and Jwon were the most seen the whole episode 1. This is because JWon is the son of the late chairman while SHWa was the only one of the gang that was working at Yulje. The hospital setting of HP. So episode 2 We get to see more of her and her department. It is the episode where we see the hardworking and career oriented SHwa who loves her patients, nurses and residents. SHwa the ghost professor.

2. Episode 2 picks up where episode 1 left off with SHwa's relationship. It's a little more than 2 weeks after we discovered Prof. Jang cheating on her. Here we get to hear her talk to her mother. It seems her mother was asking her to go somewhere with Prof. Jang. This shows that her mother knows about her boyfriend. So she was serious with prof Jang. 

I know some(me included) thought that the breakup did not bother her. But after watching it again, I think it bothered her in a way. It's just that SHwa is someone that does not show vulnerability. And most of episode 2, we saw her very busy with surgery. So she had no time to dwell in her breakup with patients needing her. 

3. The Kalguksu scene. Shin PD said this is the most important scene. We get to see the interactions and character of each member in the gang. We see the bickering foodies SHwa and JWan, the caring JWon, the relationship of SkH and IJ. SH only talked to IJ and with his mother. IJ barely talked much, I think he talked more to SH's mother than the gang. But here we see him being the level headed of the 5. He stopped JWan and JWon from fighting, explained to SHwa why they can't order just 1 serving of rice. Also, this episode is where for some, the JunSong ship was formed. For me, I hoped it won't be Junwan. Maybe it's because I was already set on IkJun but still the interactions between SHwa and JWan screamed 'friends only' to me. 

4. The wake scene. Ah, JongSu. You crazy old man that started it all. This scene is the start of all things. Revelations were made. SH spilled out his truth about confessing to SHwa. If you watch hard enough when IJ asks SH how he was rejected, after SH said 'she said she liked someone else' SHwa face shows her remembrance. She seems to kind of remember it then because to her it's something long forgotten. To me, her reaction to SH reveal of her rejection means she has long moved on. What interests me is that although JWan was the one who directly commented on her rejection technique, it was IJ's comment that made her react and explain that she really did like someone. As many have explained, this means that IJ was the someone else she liked back then. And the flashback confirmed it. It's why many were happy and sad with IJ's flashback in episode 6.

5. Every other scene. On the morning of her birthday, she was mumbling to some parts of the song and then kept on singing it when she entered her office. 

This episode to me shows the hospital life of SHwa the professor and mentor. Also as the currently single woman who works hard for her patients. When she smiled at seeing her friend finally being comforted by her husband, it was cause of relief. Because this is her friend's 2nd surgery(the 1st being breast cancer)and at least this time round her husband will be present. SHwa was glad he's friend had someone with her. And she later on explicitly said she likes being single. Like finally, she is going to enjoy her freedom and independence and work on her busy schedule. 

There weren't much IkSong moments, but the few there was, I still enjoyed them. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 3

My iksong ❤️ is so happy.  I love all your detailed analyses of the scenes, the videos and images  @Lawyerh @Jules @ryanallright @kawaiiprincess1987 @superspace @ic3chubb3 @KDramaFan0828

So many great analyses that I don't have much to add...just random thoughts on the scenes that stayed with me the most after I re-watched episode 2.  As some pointed out earlier, in episode 2's dinner scene, I noticed that Songhwa was the only one that laughed at Ikjun's phone introduction with SH's mom.  While she didn't laugh out loud as we see in later episodes, this is the first time the PD/writer subtly shows us that she is the only one that finds jokes 'funny.'  The guys don't seem fazed and brush it off with looks of annoyance and move on with their conversations. 

At the funeral scene, I noticed how flustered IJ was when the director asked them about romance.  When I initially watched this scene, I didn't think anything of it because the writer had confirmed that he was 'married' just a few minutes earlier, ruling him out as someone she liked. In those first few minutes, the duo made me  rule out SH and Ikjun as possible love interests (and that there was no love triangle) because these were the only two that had married at some point.  I do find it interesting that she didn't respond to Juwan's 'cookie cutter' comment but she looked flustered/sad when she looked at IJ  and responded that she did like someone.  Why did she automatically respond to IJ's statement that men get that answer all the time, that women like someone else? It's been 20 years since they first met and SH confessed on her birthdate and I note that none of the guys teased her about liking someone -- so my conclusion is that she liked IJ and she was telling him it was 'you' indirectly.  I don't think most people would directly deny liking someone if they had liked them in the past, they'd just nod or look uncomfortable if someone put them on the spot and asked if they liked so and so. While episode 2 doesn't show a lot of interactions, the scenes that are shown do provide a lot of subtle clues of there being some type of history with Iksong. 

• Like 5
  • Love 4