[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

10 minutes ago, Jaja said:

Read on twitter that if there are multiple timelines and in at least one timeline JTE dies, then LG have to marry Prime Minister in that timeline to produce heir argghh i don't want to see that :dizzy:

Er ... NOPE, that is NOT how this Writer Nim writes any scripts! I can’t go back to the previous posts - but long time KDrama viewers and followers of Kim Eun Sok (Uri Writer-Nim) have sworn that she NEVER writes in such a way - to marry the main lead to another person, IF the main lead had already found his/her true love.

I have a feeling LG may ask his cousin, Sejin (the murdered Prince Buyeong’s daughter) to either be a caretaker Queen or just take over the throne while he comes up with a solution about LR and the other half of the Magic Flute. I am wondering why LG was suddenly asking Prince B about his daughter - or maybe I am reading too much, because LG was standing in front of Prince B’s family photo ...

• Like 10
  • Naughty 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, AgentQuake said:

Truly ashamed to ask this but um...does anyone know what brand the multi use balm is?

And the skincare robot?  I kind of want one.

UGH.

EDIT: LOL NOOOOPE THAT ISH IS $2100

Also Lee Min Ho is one of their spokespeople this is ALL bae’s fault 

@AgentQuake

Multi use balm...

Skincare robot...

• Like 10

17 hours ago, mychoiyoung said:

Aside from the stellar performance from LMH & KGE, I would also like to commend Baek Hyun-Joo who is playing Sec Mo. She was so cool during the press briefing. Then she was all heartingly devastated when the Prince died. She was also wackingly out of her wits when LG was again missing before the NY.  Great turn, all in all.

she is also very supportive of LG and JTE (or any girl as long as it’s not the PM). She is the shipper’s avatar hahaha

• Like 10
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, AgentQuake said:
Spoiler

Also, her dad.  Something's up with him.  I think he's LG's ace in the hole here, and he's fully aware of everything that was set in place 25 years ago.  I think he's been waiting this whole time for LG to show up - he housed Maximus with no questions, he welcomed LG straight into their homes and lives, he tasted LG's drink for him while everyone else thinks it's absurd, he missed LG when he left, and he didn't seem to care where JTE went or noticed.  Then he gave LG the key to the taekwondo center and left them alone, again with no questions.  He hasn't been shown as a negligent father at all, and clearly played a big part in raising JTE to be the brave and good human she is.  To everyone unaware of KOC, Lee Gon is basically a hot con artist who squatted on their property, and vanished.  And this is the guy who his daughter now has a thing for.  Any parent would be like …"hold on, wtf is happening?"  Unless if dad already knows that he's a King who loves his daughter so much that he's willing to traverse the space-time continuum over and over and over again for her.

I NEED FRIDAY IM GONNA DIEEEEE

I concur. Said almost the same thing previously.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, syntyche said:

1. The Lee Gon and Tae Eul that we see are the current pair that we've been watching. As I mentioned earlier, Lee Gon has already decided to fulfill his fate of setting things right with the four tiger sword. He is the one we see in the first episode, carrying such sword. In the various press releases of the drama, he has been described as the emperor who tries to close the door between two worlds. And that is exactly what he is going to do. However, in doing such, he has to bid farewell to Tae Eul, hence the "I love you" and the flowers. But she sensed this, thus her hesitation to accept the flowers. But he has not given up on them yet. Him seeing the cctv footage dated in the year 2022 gave him hope that Tae Eul would eventually be back in Corea. And with fate/yoyo boy on his side, somehow they would be together again.

I really hope this is the case cause I do agree with this. Upon first watch, I thought LG was from the future because JTE seemed a bit scared, nervous and stepped back. But then I watched that scene again and I realized she sensed something was wrong with the way he was communicating with her, he was setting the tone to say goodbye and she stepped back because she didn't want that and she didn't want to accept the flowers in case it solidified that and served as a parting gift, and then he voiced it and she grabbed his hand. Honestly, it could be either, both are convincing but I think its present LG.

@AgentQuake, I think you're onto something about her dad. (SPOILER PIC INCLUDED NOW)

Spoiler

I don't know if you've seen the other spoiler picture where LG is seen crouched down talking to the little girl so I'm sure at that time or either before that time, LG would've met her dad? 

0wBzlTn.jpg

Edited by MairaA
adding an image
  • Like 9
  • Sad 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, lyrically aesthetic said:

i reaaaaaaaaaaaaally love this drama, but my heart still yearns that it should have been aired on tvn but regardless i know this drama will prevail, just believe guys okaaaay 

same imagine the extra 20 mins per episode that is a total of 320 minutes so around 5 hours. 5 hours more of TKEM! And the bts videos and the promotion. But alas, we got SBS. This drama will still rock though cause it’s amazing!

• Like 9

Spoiler ahead pls don't click if you do not want to be spoiled. Saw this on IG

Spoiler

Is that blood on TE's coat? 

At this rate, I'd get whatever I can to save myself from too much heartache :joy:

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm thinking that Luna being an alternate version of JTE is plausible. Can I ask if doppelgangers' fingerprints are exactly the same? LR's doppelganger and his fingerprints didn't match right, did they? Because JTE and Luna's fingerprints matched, so I can't remember if doppelgangers' fingerprints are exactly the same.

Still the questions/loopholes if Luna is a version of JTE who got stuck in Corea in an alternate timeline and lost her memories in the ep 11 sequence are:
1. Why does Luna not seem to have a identity crisis like Sin Jae?
2. Why doesn't the actual doppelganger of JTE exist? In each world there will be a copy of each other as we've seen, but if Luna is just another JTE who suffered a different fate then where did the other JTE doppelganger from Corea go?

I don't really know which I believe more now, whether Luna is just a normal doppelganger of JTE, or if Luna is an a version of JTE who got stuck in Corea in another timeline after the ep 11 sequence and got her memories wiped after LR/LG time travelled. 

• Like 5

Here is my theory : I think Luna is the future JTE, the question is how did it happen because the two character exist in two parallel world at the same time. My two cents is: if Luna is the future JTE she can travel back time at the present living in KOC. How did it happen she is in KOC, I've sense it in the preview of ep 11 which will be aired next friday. Out of desperation to see LG she will able to cross the parallel world or LR might kidnapped her but she was able to escape and fight with them that's why she is full of blood with her gun. There might something terribly happen to her that lead to forget her memory, living hopeless, homeless and get sick that's why she is terminally ill. Or possibly she is dead but the deity brought her to life to travel back time to correct the future. Remember the ep 1 and 2 where she always showed up running and he was chased by LG that brought him into the gate of parallel world. And then Luna suddenly show up at front mirror of JTE police car which means she is her future self. Luna lead LG to the other world (ROK) and meet JTE for a purpose of changing what might happen to her in the future. This is just my theory so don't take it seriously

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Heretorant said:

This scene set the bars for all other scenes to come and all other love confessions in other dramas to come! 
I might be alone on this but this scene hit me harder than when Kim shin vanished into thin air in Goblin. 

To wish for top 10 would be too much to ask for but it’s gotten on the popular list a few times. I guess that’s all I can ask for. Americans be sleeping on Korean dramas. 

Can I be honest? I fell a sleep quite a bit during Goblin, and never really invested in the couple. I love the main cast, but never really

rooting for them. That scene while is done really beautifully, it doesn’t give me a lot of impact.

but that ep 10 scene on TKEM really set a standard on confession. That line tho “I love you... I’m deeply in love with you” gahhh.... 

US represent! I have been checking on our netflix as well, but yeah never made it to top10 and small chance on being in the top 10. I saw maybe a couple of time it made it to popular list as well. 

2 hours ago, AgentQuake said:

Ugh, it's the subtitles.  I swear this country can't read or move their brains.  Although, considering Tiger King, 90 Day Fiance, Love is Blind, and whatever that other show was are trending, maybe us Americans just don't deserve Asian dramas hahaha.

Im in agreement with you! This country and their unwillingness to read subs. Ugh. and I had to really make my hubby watch parasite and he ended up liking it. I told him he needs to watch TKEM, but of course he is not quite willing to invest 16 hours of watching with subs lol. 

Lol At the list you said! I can’t even watch tiger king passed episode 3. Just no. I did enjoy making of murderer. I honestly started watching Asian drama because of the lightness of the story. TKEM is really taking risk for a korean drama.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Guyangi_Dalpeongi said:

Yup! Agreed! :lol: I’ll NEVER drink that coffee! Off topic, but I am a big fan of Seo In Guk - especially in Shopping King Louis, and one of the never ending PPL was for this brand of instant coffee - Maxim Gold! I spotted it in a Korean grocery shop, so I bought a packet to try - Gah ... Couldn’t drink it! I never liked 3-in-1 coffees anyway and Maxim Gold is just ... Gah ... Since SKL was one of the first few KDramas I watched, I was also introduced to jajangmyeon!! So yummy!!  LOTBS was my first live KDrama and that’s when I first learned about LMH plus ramyeon and eating at a convenience store (so cool!) and jajangmyeon!! YUMS! (JJH made it look even more messy delicious but I think her favourite is pasta! Hahaha)

Now, the FRIED CHICKEN, though ... we have so many Korean places in Singapore, but somehow, after seeing all the PPL for this brand, none seems to look as good as this brand! :rolleyes::D Power of LMH endorsing FRIED CHICKEN!! Seriously, though, fellow Chingus in SG, do we have this brand here?? I think I really need to order soon ... Haha 

I am tagging Chingu @vangsweetie637 here! Hahaha - cos like you, I also love food and each time I see the amount of unfinished food in the drama - I get so hungry ... And I REALLY wanna have a bite of that fish cake or rice cake  on the stick that JTE & KSJ were chomping on ... uuugghhh! 

Another question for our Chingus in the US, how’s our drama doing on Netflix US? Is it even on Netflix in the US? Just curious! 

It is showing on Netflix US though not trending or popular or top 10.  However, under the Heading of Netflix Originals, it  always shows up first on the row of drama titles while the 2nd, 3rd 4th etc dramas change positions e.g. 2nd is Babylon Berlin, 3rd While Lines, 4th Hospital list, and previous days, the sequence changes but King is always first of the row. What that means I do not know if it is first for Netflix Originals or Netflix is promoting King as its most important release? Hospital List is on the trending list though so I am confused about the reason it is first of the row.

@HeretorantI never saw King on the popular list and I looked. I do see Heirs trending all the time but King neither trending nor popular and you know what I mean when I say King is first in line for Netflix Originals.

@AgentQuakeI am from Seattle too. Curious about the name of the Korean restaurant and its location.  LOL!

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Cookie_24 Pretentions said:

Here is my theory : I think Luna is the future JTE, the question is how did it happen because the two character exist in two parallel world at the same time. My two cents is: if Luna is the future JTE she can travel back time at the present living in KOC. How did it happen she is in KOC, I've sense it in the preview of ep 11 which will be aired next friday. Out of desperation to see LG she will able to cross the parallel world or LR might kidnapped her but she was able to escape and fight with them that's why she is full of blood with her gun. There might something terribly happen to her that lead to forget her memory, living hopeless, homeless and get sick that's why she is terminally ill. Or possibly she is dead but the deity brought her to life to travel back time to correct the future. Remember the ep 1 and 2 where she always showed up running and he was chased by LG that brought him into the gate of parallel world. And then Luna suddenly show up at front mirror of JTE police car which means she is her future self. Luna lead LG to the other world (ROK) and meet JTE for a purpose of changing what might happen to her in the future. This is just my theory so don't take it seriously

Ooh that's interesting, yeah that's a storyline which is quite possible to me, just that the questions I had above still make me not 100% buying this :L 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jaja said:

Read on twitter that if there are multiple timelines and in at least one timeline JTE dies, then LG have to marry Prime Minister in that timeline to produce heir argghh i don't want to see tha

I'd rather that LG relinquishes throne to Se-jin - Prince's daughter who is now next in line - so he can be with TE in both worlds. 

1. That squashes PM's greed to be queen - she cannot flirt with & thirst for another queen right?

2. People will have more leniency for LG's chosen wife since he is not King anymore

3. LG still secures the Kingdom with a proper heir.  It also gives redemption to the hardship the Prince's family had to endure

Of course, all of these theories can only be palatable if LG fails to find a beautiful solution & answer to his problem.

• Like 13
  • Insightful 2

12 minutes ago, CallieP said:

It is showing on Netflix US though not trending or popular or top 10.  However, under the Heading of Netflix Originals, it  always shows up first on the row of drama titles while the 2nd, 3rd 4th etc dramas change positions e.g. 2nd is Babylon Berlin, 3rd While Lines, 4th Hospital list, and previous days, the sequence changes but King is always first of the row. What that means I do not know if it is first for Netflix Originals or Netflix is promoting King as its most important release? Hospital List is on the trending list though so I am confused about the reason it is first of the row.

@HeretorantI never saw King on the popular list and I looked. I do see Heirs trending all the time but King neither trending nor popular and you know what I mean when I say King is first in line for Netflix Originals.

@AgentQuakeI am from Seattle too. Curious about the name of the Korean restaurant and its location.  LOL!

Stone!! I go to the one in Redmond and there’s one in SLU as well.  

TKEM is weird, it’s not trending at all in the U.S., although that’d go be expected.  It’s not popular in SK.  It’s absolutely destroying though everywhere else in the world.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SweetButters said:

---------------------------------------------------------------

*Edited

So I was thinking of JTE's phone case and its reference to the "Back to the Future" movie....whelp here's a summary [look at the first paragraph in the pic]...... what if every time lightning strikes...LR AND LG ARE TRAVELING BACK IN TIME?????!!! 

Back to the Future is one of my favorite movies.  I've seen it countless times, I can write a treatise on it LOL.  I urge everyone to watch the whole trilogy as it is so entertaining and really is satisfying.

For now, I think the BTTF phone case is just an easter egg to give us a clue that time travel is involved, and nothing more.  The time travel depicted in BTTF is also one that is prone to loopholes (it creates the time travel paradox) so even though I love the BTTF films, I hope that is not the time travel that is used in TKEM.  Nevertheless, for those who haven't seen the movie, I'll summarize its main time travel plots so you can see if anything is similar (I don't think so, personally):

Spoiler

1.  Marty (lead character) is friends with Doc Brown, who invents a time machine in 1985 (present time).  

2.  Doc Brown had to steal plutonium to make the time machine work.  While he and Marty were testing whether the machine worked, the terrorists he stole the plutonium from suddenly arrived and started shooting at them.  Doc Brown gets shot and dies in 1985.

3.   Marty goes into the time machine to escape the terrorists, and he is successful as he is transported back in time to 1955.

4.  In 1955, Marty meets both his parents.  Unfortunately, he unintentionally "interferes" with how his parents were supposed to first meet and fall in love.  Instead of his mom meeting and falling in love with his dad, mom meets and gets infatuated with Marty.

5.  So because he unintentionally altered the past, Marty had to find a way to make his mom and dad fall in love so that they get married and Marty gets born.

6.  Marty is successful in making his mom and dad fall in love (in a different  and more romantic way now) in 1955, therefore his future is guaranteed.

7. So now Marty has to go "back to the future" to 1985.   But then he remembers that if he goes back to the same time in 1985 as the time he left, he will go back to see Doc Brown already dead.  So he does two things:  he writes a letter to Doc Brown in 1955, telling Doc Brown the exact date and time Doc Brown will die in 1985 (Doc Brown originally rejects this letter) AND sets up the time machine so he goes back just a few minutes before Doc Brown is shot, so he can warn Doc Brown.

8.  Unfortunately, when he goes back to 1985, he is still too late.  He sees (from afar) Doc Brown getting shot and he initially thinks that Doc Brown is dead still.  But then it turns out that Doc Brown did read his letter from 1955, so Doc Brown  was forewarned and he wore a bulletproof vest to prevent his death in 1985.

THE END.

• Like 7