[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

So much backtracking to do. I read pages as I check this thread. But the pages that build when it’s sleeping time for me haha those go up fast too. I feel like I am in a time loop now :lol:

——-

Something about the ending didn’t feel right to me. It was so heartbreaking but now I am left wondering if what I saw was even real to begin with? Was it all an illusion in TE’s mind? This time, LG disappeared like a dream. All this better not be a dream sequence only. Lol.

@Heretorant remember I said the “past, present, future” gives me nostalgia (not from Back to the Future because I haven’t seen it yet). I remember now. The show I was referring to was an older show I use to watch called “True Calling.” In this show, main girl named True, has the power to turn back time and help the dead change/stop their death (if they ask for help when they are already dead). As long as the dead says “help me”, Time immediately turns back and she has to help the dead before he/she dies again. If she is able to do it, the dead lives again. Now, TKEM doesn’t exactly have this element but makes me wonder if LG is doing exactly just that: helping JTE back in the past so she can live in the future. Then this also mean she already died. (This goes along with some our theories here). In the show, Death also shows up because he doesn’t like that True is disrupting the balance of life/death with her powers. In this case, I think Yo-yo boy is not a GR but Death. :crazy: This is going to be one heartbreaking love story! :bawling:

Edit:

@koreaboooo at first, I thought Luna is actually JTE from the future. I initially had this thinking that Time disrupted the balance (or it was tipped off badly by LR/LG) that Luna is the end result of JTE (which is why she sees Luna in the mirror of her car). Then suddenly, after last night’s episode, I have a feeling that Luna and JTE are not one person but two separate individuals like the doppelgängers and JTE may have already died. But I still cannot grasp my thoughts fully so I feel like I understand and then I don’t :lol:

@Poppy517 Haha, welcome to the world of LMH’s charms :D he is not only a handsome King but also a sexy one ;) :P

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, blobbityblobbityblob said:

Moreover, Luna cannot believe upon knowing that she only have three months to live due to cancer, and it maybe a hereditary condition. Until then, she never believed in any god but after the one who approached her both like the darkness and the light named Geumyang, she learns to believe now." - Source: https://annyeongoppa.com/2020/04/17/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-characters-of-the-king-eternal-monarch/

talking about Luna's character script,  the person Luna sees as deity is Lee Rim

"그 신의 이름은, 이림이었다." (And that deity name is, Lee Rim") the final line in  the script

Till episode 10, I still cannot imagine how a rough Luna may come to take Lee Rim as a deity

she is definitely not the kind of regular follower who easily get attract to power or high class life

and due to her similar face with Tae Eul, the most possible scenario is, she takes over Tae Eul's life, pretend to be her and get close to Lee Gon? 
but we know for sure this trick cannot play on Lee Gon, he must be able to distinguish  the girl that he loves (if he cannot tell them apart, the disappointment will be as much as the in-between space) 

then what is the other scenario?

As much as I found the theory about Luna being the remnant of Luna is excited, I also agree it will be too much for the writer to follow that path with so many timetravellers, timeloop trap in ped, multiple version of ppl stuck in different timeline and universe

plus, Luna is too different than Tae Eul. She is a thief, brutal, revengeful.

how about Luna pretends as Tae Eul and ruin her image to other ppl, or attack ppl surrounding Tae Eul? 

and will she really choose to side with Lee Rim- I will be dying curious to know how he can persude her

and what will be her role in this whole picture 

PS: i still wonder why Goo Seo Ryung is the first person in the main line meet Luna face-to-face. I feel that encounter has some kind of meaning but cannot figure it out 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

7 hours ago, Yippeun_eonnie said:

What JY ask at the near end of the episode is hinting me, What if LR is already captured and the bad things stopped, what will happen to LG and TE? LG is a king and he has people who need him and he must stay in his world, and if she suppose to be his queen can she keep all the secret about this parallel world and can she keep back and forth between two world? 

Sometimes I think JY worries too much, which I understand coming from him but this line of his, I am not too worry about this because previously JTE already told LG this case they're working on is something only she and the murderer will ever know in her world. She already knew she can't tell anyone nor does she plan to. She already took the responsibility to silently investigate without others. It's not something she can just tell others that there's a parallel world. I think the larger concern is whether JTE is willing to leave everything all behind to be LG's queen. JY doesn't even question how it could be done with her having the same face as Luna since that's of little importance when what matters is how willing JTE is.

49 minutes ago, blobbityblobbityblob said:

"It was said that she was abandoned in the worst slum in Busan. With no parents and any identification, she did not officially exist in this world. Learning about her situation, as soon as she was able to talk and walk, she needs to finds food to eat as well as places to sleep. She is also a strong girl who had the guts to retaliate two to three times whatever she received.

As she grow older, her arrest record also grows in the cases such as burglary, breaking and entering, assault, and forgery. The imprisonment finally gave her an official record of her existence as it was legally documented. She named herself as Luna after the stray cat that had survived in the slum.

Moreover, Luna cannot believe upon knowing that she only have three months to live due to cancer, and it maybe a hereditary condition. Until then, she never believed in any god but after the one who approached her both like the darkness and the light named Geumyang, she learns to believe now." - Source: https://annyeongoppa.com/2020/04/17/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-characters-of-the-king-eternal-monarch/

This is also the reason that made me wonder if Luna is actually JTE. Also I had been searching for reasons such as does everyone in ROK have a doppelganger in KOC and vice versa. That led me to think about ES's siblings before since I wasn't sure of their doppelganges' existences. I'm still waiting for more episodes with Luna to make a more solid theory of who she is but as of now I think she may be the one to sacrifice herself at the end. There were many clues before linking her to the rabbit on the moon. In the end the rabbit on the moon sacrificed itself for the emporer. In this case, I would say King, and in return she may gain eternal life by being the one to reside in the space in between the two worlds. I don't see how after this LG would want to keep the flute tangible in either worlds because someone in the future would be able to use it for wrong. Usually in movies, something like this gets thrown into the ocean or something and hope it'll disappear and never be touched again. But in this case, I think if someone reliable was to hold onto the flute and stay in the in between, no one will ever be able to get the flute again, but the sacrifice would be to live in eternally alone. Can't see LG doing it when he also has a country to run. Luna has no one.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

21 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:
  Hide contents

I have never watched anything Lee Min Ho was in until now. I have to say he is such a HANDSOME man and very regal. Perfectly cast as The King of Corea!

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 10
  • Love 4

8 minutes ago, Keikokoko said:

How do you expect us to think straight if you photo-bomb us with King like this? 

Love King! Long live King. Wish JTE could give you thousands of hugs. 

I think this is most intimate hugs scene in the Korean drama history, I watched so many Kdrama for 8 years but Really I don't remember this like

• Like 7
  • Love 5

4 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

I think this is most intimate hugs scene in the Korean drama history, I watched so many Kdrama for 8 years but Really I don't remember this like

I somewhat agree. They went almost inside each other via hug and I don't know how that can even happen but it almost happened here for the first time. I loved the passion on display from both sides. The love story is very much epic and heartfelt. KES is hitting her peak in the history now where she has now both leads romancing each other at their fullest without anything holding back. I say go the extra mile I love richard simmons like that

• Like 9
  • Love 4

3 minutes ago, Poppy517 said:

I have never watched anything Lee Min Ho was in until now. I have to say he is such a HANDSOME man and very regal. Perfectly cast as The King of Corea!

My first Kdrama is City Hunter and I can't become other actor's fan for 8 years , I love his sincerity , Somebody criticises for years because of his drama characters, really they don't know him ,They said again rich character same always,when This drama news came out, but he is really King what can we do? :lol: he is most popular K-actor but still so humble , polite, please support him in the future :wub:

• Like 8
  • Love 6

This show tests many things and one of it is the number of times the audience will rewatch episodes. I’ve resisted that so far because backtracking is a pet peeve and this thread has answered many of my questions :). But this show is definitely one written for more than 16 eps.

Eps 9 and 10 dropped many pieces of the puzzle and while putting it together can be fun for awhile, I think the show is tripping on the fine line between mystery and confusion. That should be why they had a special ep. - did it help to clarify though?

Frankly, keeping track of the doppelgängers, particularly the non-lead roles, is giving me a headache cos they all wear such dulllll colours. Keke. I also had a jolly good time differentiating the kids cos they all had some variation of a mop head. Now the yo-yo boy is a yo-yo girl?? Wut?! There are no distinguishing features that are made distinct. Some tattoo for LR’s men would be good and something else for those from ROK and KOC. Help for someone with no eidetic memory? Heh. 

Well, they can drop hints and editing however they want now but I guess I would want to eventually see The WhOle timeline painted out from the time little LG was saved right till the end - beyond the very first scene of adult LG riding in with the Sword. And a good ending.

It’s only another 6 episodes, I dread that I might have to sit on my couch at the end of ep16 and still wonder/guess what happened at certain segments of the show. But it is the writer’s specialty isn’t it? 

About the red balloons in the portal, how did ES carry one into KOC? If they existed in a vacuum, how can they come to a non-vacuum space without distortion? For that matter, how does one stay in the vacuum-filled portal? Perhaps it’s okay for LG cos he has the flute that perhaps makes him immune. Also, the time difference in and out of the portal seemed different this time...1 day (?) inside is the equivalence of 2months outside. It was shorter previously? Time seems to have stretched. I think this is could be related to the number of balloons. More balloons, more time needed to travel in between. Then again, I could be dead wrong. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

13 minutes ago, Wis dom said:

I somewhat agree. They went almost inside each other via hug and I don't know how that can even happen but it almost happened here for the first time. I loved the passion on display from both sides. The love story is very much epic and heartfelt. KES is hitting her peak in the history now where she has now both leads romancing each other at their fullest without anything holding back. I say go the extra mile I love richard simmons like that

Fire squirts from Lee Gon's eyes :lol:

Spoiler

• Like 5
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, koreaboooo said:

Sometimes I think JY worries too much, which I understand coming from him but this line of his, I am not too worry about this because previously JTE already told LG this case they're working on is something only she and the murderer will ever know in her world. She already knew she can't tell anyone nor does she plan to. She already took the responsibility to silently investigate without others. It's not something she can just tell others that there's a parallel world. I think the larger concern is whether JTE is willing to leave everything all behind to be LG's queen. JY doesn't even question how it could be done with her having the same face as Luna since that's of little importance when what matters is how willing JTE is.

This is also the reason that made me wonder if Luna is actually JTE. Also I had been searching for reasons such as does everyone in ROK have a doppelganger in KOC and vice versa. That led me to think about ES's siblings before since I wasn't sure of their doppelganges' existences. I'm still waiting for more episodes with Luna to make a more solid theory of who she is but as of now I think she may be the one to sacrifice herself at the end. There were many clues before linking her to the rabbit on the moon. In the end the rabbit on the moon sacrificed itself for the emporer. In this case, I would say King, and in return she may gain eternal life by being the one to reside in the space in between the two worlds. I don't see how after this LG would want to keep the flute tangible in either worlds because someone in the future would be able to use it for wrong. Usually in movies, something like this gets thrown into the ocean or something and hope it'll disappear and never be touched again. But in this case, I think if someone reliable was to hold onto the flute and stay in the in between, no one will ever be able to get the flute again, but the sacrifice would be to live in eternally alone. Can't see LG doing it when he also has a country to run. Luna has no one.

The title is The King Eternal Monarch though... so maybe it will be a tragic ending where he sacrifices himself to stay in the in between so no one else will hold the flute? That feels pretty sad too :bawling:

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

I've been reading all the comments about the last episode and just wanted to give my two cents.  Question, is the yoyo boy, God, of course he is.  Since this is Sunday in the USA and I'm on my way to church, there are two things that has been part of who I am for over 60 years.  One, God requires and demands balance,  and right now the universe is out of balance.  When the flute was split the universe was put in danger, and God needed to intervene.  Another thing, He needed someone to fix this mess, and LG was that tool.  He will use anything and anyone to fix this mess.  LG is that tool he is going to use.   But LG has to be willing to be used and until he is, he will continue to have problems keeping JTE safe.  Two, as my grandmother used to say, God hates ugly and I don't know anyone as ugly has LL.  He cannot be allow to mess with the balance of the universe.  He's not only messing with KOC and ROK, but the whole of the universe is being affected. LL has disrupted the balance of the universe and God is using LG to fix the mess.  Until LG relinquishes his dependence on science he will continue to repeat the time loops.  Once LG determines that there is something that is willing to help, but he has to sacrifice his relationship with JTE.  He goes to see her for what he thinks is the last time.  Up until the kiss, JTE was always a hindrance to LG's battle with LL.  Her safety was always primary.  LL saying goodbye really helps him with the upcoming battle.   LG can now concentrate on what is the most important, getting the universe back into balance.  LL doesn't believe in God or destiny, his mistake.  Yoyo boy basically tells LL that his way is not working.  LL seems perplexed by yoyo boy's comments, in his world, might means right and it's the strongman who wins. So the thought that he could lose is a lost to him.  Also my belief is that God always rewards the ones he uses. '  LG and JTE will get together in the end, it will be a tortuous experience for all of us.  The Goblin in the end got his bride, even the grim reaper was allow to collect his love and walk with her to the after life.  If love doesn't win, what is the point.  Their love will endure to the end.  

• Like 9
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, leeminhosny said:

I think that's how we all felt. Two souls melt into one - unity, like 1 in math term. 

Although this drama was billed as fantasy romance, it's very poetic. It reignited my interest in poetry. 

• Like 12
  • Love 3

44 minutes ago, Kdramatic said:

The title is The King Eternal Monarch though... so maybe it will be a tragic ending where he sacrifices himself to stay in the in between so no one else will hold the flute? That feels pretty sad too :bawling:

Yea I've been juggling between either LG staying in the in between or Luna. But to calm my depressed soul from that last episode, I'm more inclined to think Luna. But if it's base on KES fondness for open/bittersweet ending... LG staying inside seems like a higher possibility. 

Also not sure if anyone knows this but the tree in the opening is a gyesu tree which in the Korean myth some think the rabbit on the moon, the rabbit is usually under that tree. I do feel this tale might have some huge significance since it's something derived from Buddhism and PM and her ex husband were nitpicking on religion earlier Christianity vs Buddhism... 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 7

Has anyone seen the special episode? I think I read somewhere here it was basically a re-cap episode, if so did any theories get confirmed or where there any clues in particular that were highlighted? It might be possible to theorize based on what the episode chose to focus on. Thank you to the person, if any, decides to take the time to tell us :)

• Like 7