[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

On 6/20/2020 at 11:29 PM, madmad min said:

I still Rely on Viki, But will give WeTv a try if Love when the star falls gets my AOL(Ashes of Love) OTP back pls...,

One should try that as well alongwith Eternal Love(TMOPB) if into Xianxia. Haven't tried Wuxia genre Yet though hmmm.

Dramacool Maybe ? I am.watchng BR on that as of now.

Glad TKEM WAS A NETFLIX ORIGINAL, waiting for xianxia subs makes Me MAD....

TMOPB is a gem! 

Viki is also my first stop but Wetv has aired some great stuff as well. 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2020 at 11:25 PM, CarolynH said:

I can't believe this thread is still going strong!  You'd think this is an ongoing drama!  Thanks to all who contribute!

Stay with it!  It gets better and better!

You guys are hilarious I just arrived here like few days ago but I saw already alot of funny comments and especially backtracking the thread

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

TMOPB is a gem! 

Viki is also my first stop but Wetv has aired some great stuff as well. 

The problem with viki is the subs. They are slow and ignore some shows. I left viki back in 2016 and never returned due to slow subs but don't know how things are going over there now

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

The problem with viki is the subs. They are slow and ignore some shows. I left viki back in 2016 and never returned due to slow subs but don't know how things are going over there now

Fun fact - Chinese was my first language but I accidentally forgot almost all of it until I joined the workforce and had to learn quickly again.  I used to watch Cdramas on YouTube witb the volunteer made subtitles and they were SO BAD that I hauled a$$ to fully learn Mandarin again so I wouldn’t have to rely on subtitles.  Which resulted in this really odd thing that my mom had to help me out of when I started speaking like the Chinese consorts in 1700 because of Scarlet Heart/Yanxi/Ruyi/Empresses in the Palace. 

I actually have picked up some Korean over the last few years, and the Netflix subs have started really annoying me, especially with TKEM.  Sometimes you can hear them say long sentences but the translation is super short and underwhelming.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, AgentQuake said:

sleep at 2am while screaming about theories, wake up at 5 to scream on soompi that I can sleep, wake up at 6:30 to scream with the live bloggers, shower and fall cus it’s so early and hurt a limb, start watching at 7:30 while drying off in the bathroom, then walk into oncoming traffic after the episode while running to Work because I’m too busy on my phone fighting with people 

I miss it

I was mostly at work when it came on and I would sneak out and take longer breaks to watch TKEM without my boss finding out

• LOL 6

17 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

Fun fact - Chinese was my first language but I accidentally forgot almost all of it until I joined the workforce and had to learn quickly again.  I used to watch Cdramas on YouTube witb the volunteer made subtitles and they were SO BAD that I hauled a$$ to fully learn Mandarin again so I wouldn’t have to rely on subtitles.  Which resulted in this really odd thing that my mom had to help me out of when I started speaking like the Chinese consorts in 1700 because of Scarlet Heart/Yanxi/Ruyi/Empresses in the Palace. 

I actually have picked up some Korean over the last few years, and the Netflix subs have started really annoying me, especially with TKEM.  Sometimes you can hear them say long sentences but the translation is super short and underwhelming.

Did you study korean? Or just via dramas? I have seen alot complaints about the netflix sub during TKEM airing. 

My next drama is Wu lei drama. I think his gonna become one of the best actors watch out for him perhaps LMH's heir on the world stage. 

I have got an eye for this Thing his charismatic and has screen presence he just needs good scripts

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

Did you study korean? Or just via dramas? I have seen alot complaints about the netflix sub during TKEM airing. 

My next drama is Wu lei drama. I think his gonna become one of the best actors watch out for him perhaps LMH's heir on the world stage. 

I have got an eye for this Thing his charismatic and has screen presence he just needs good scripts

A teeny bit.  I did about 4 months of free app based learning before I went to SK on vacation lol.  Managed to order in restaurants.  Then to keep going I needed to buy Rosetta Stone for like $400 and that’s not happening. 

The Netflix translations were BAD.  It was even worse for CLOY because of the variances between NK and SK.  And the thing with TKEM - they go back and edit the subs too afterwards.  They made minor changes to the scene between LG and Jeong Tae Ra. Nothing that would have affected the scene, but it shows that they’re not as direct and careful as they should be.

FYI they changed where the trophy was.  Instead of it being in the boss’s car, KGE’s assistant says he’ll bring it tomorrow.

The most offensive one was when they changed “Protect her, she’s the future Queen of the Kingdom of Corea” to “Protect her, she’s the future Queen”.  Does it change anything?  Not really, but I can literally hear LMH say his country’s name in Korean. So why simplify it???

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

As you probably know viki relies on volunteers. The quality of the subs depend on the translator team and thus vary for each drama.

So far the dramas I've watched were all fully subbed so I can't complain about the speed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joanna Alfson said:

I don't use dramacool but i use Kissasian tho i will be moving out of there because they don't sub wuxia on time 

I dislike dramacool due to the design of the website and i don't so watch TKEM or any other drama there. I watch TKEM on netflix but if I need a drama that is not not TKEM dramacool is the last option on my list 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

As you probably know viki relies on volunteers. The quality of the subs depend on the translator team and thus vary for each drama.

So far the dramas I've watched were all fully subbed so I can't complain about the speed. 

I have experienced watching live airing drama on viki and the subs were really late to and sometimes they never arrived

• Like 2

Gravity is so good, ugh :shivers:

Looping - Gravity, Orbit, I Fall In Love, and Dream rn.

Has anyone listened to the “The King”, BGM?  It’s very classic and majestic and parts of it played when LMH was introduced in the first ep, and then it goes DRAMATIC!!!! with a full freaking choir howling in the back

I imagine that’s LG’s internal monologue when he’s cat walking everywhere.  He walks to JTE while a choir goes AAAAAHHHH in the background, drums blaring.

• Love 4

On 6/21/2020 at 1:00 AM, AgentQuake said:

Gravity is so good, ugh

Looping - Gravity, Orbit, I Fall In Love, and Dream rn.

Has anyone listened to the “The King”, BGM?  It’s very classic and majestic and parts of it played when LMH was introduced in the first ep, and then it goes DRAMATIC!!!! with a full freaking choir howling in the back

I imagine that’s LG’s internal monologue when he’s cat walking everywhere.  He walks to JTE while a choir goes AAAAAHHHH in the background, drums blaring.

I haven't had the chance to listen the BGM but I have been hearing good things and complaints about them not adding all BGM in the released album. Do you happen to know where I can find these BGM online? I mean these in the released album

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heilo said:

I haven't had the chance to listen the BGM but I have been hearing good things and complaints about them not adding all BGM in the released album. Do you happen to know where I can find these BGM online? I mean these in the released album

Apple Music!  They released each episode separately and last week released the full OST. 

The orchestral My Love is there and it’s STUNNING.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It’s been a tough weekend without new episodes of TKEM... I think I will start rewatching, thanks to Netflix. By the way I have a question. Remember the man who gave those pictures to PM Koo in one of the early episodes, who was he supposed to be? I couldn’t figure whether he sided with LR or LG. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MJM said:

It’s been a tough weekend without new episodes of TKEM... I think I will start rewatching, thanks to Netflix. By the way I have a question. Remember the man who gave those pictures to PM Koo in one of the early episodes, who was he supposed to be? I couldn’t figure whether he sided with LR or LG. 

Officially he acts as the advisor to the PM’s office, but his interest is primarily with KU owned by her ex-husband. He collects intel for political extortion purposes, including the treasonous evidence he handed over to LG : private conversations with the King the PM recorded within the confines of the palace. Note that whenever the PM goes through security checks, she always emphasised her underwire bra, so there you go.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hikki said:

Officially he acts as the advisor to the PM’s office, but his interest is primarily with KU owned by her ex-husband. He collects intel for political extortion purposes, including the treasonous evidence he handed over to LG : private conversations with the King the PM recorded within the confines of the palace. Note that whenever the PM goes through security checks, she always emphasised her underwire bra, so there you go.

I actually disliked the first scene so much - it seemed so unnecessary and misogynistic for the show to even go there about her underwores and bras and very un-Kdrama for it.

Then when it turns out PM was hiding her bugs in her boobs and using the culture’s discomfort with talking about her boobs to sneak them in my brain exploded.

This show is so much smarter than it gets credit for.  

• Like 5