Quantcast
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 6/29/2019 at 1:12 AM, rori0711 said:

No wonder Binnie can't take his eyes off Shinhye during MoA presscon :P You sexy woman, pull your LBD down :sweatingbullets::lol:

 

ctto

 

60400343_2369953879994248_62529656471812 

 

  • LOL 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gets0meair said:

 

Spoiler

60400343_2369953879994248_62529656471812

you nailed it darling :joy:

  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Binnie daydreaming in his own bubble :D:lol:

D-Ky5kbU4AY-ray.jpg 

ctto

  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bright energy that radiates well at filming location. She has a deep passion for acting. Acting alongside her has given me a lot of motivation to work harder. - HyunBin :wub:

 

D-ZOfCUX4AAHEbD.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rori0711 said:

A bright energy that radiates well at filming location. She has a deep passion for acting. Acting alongside her has given me a lot of motivation to work harder. - HyunBin :wub:

:wub::love:

 

I've never seen the 6th slide before (photo below). Did Shinhye sign the guitar?

65096323_120851755563920_460599292955357 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, gets0meair said:

I've never seen the 6th slide before (photo below). Did Shinhye sign the guitar?

yep, that's her signature :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MEMORIES OF THE ALHAMBRA: HOW TO GET YOUR SON AND YOURSELF HOOKED ON A K-DRAMA

Posted by Jessica Jørgensen | Jul 2, 2019 | 

Memories of the Alhambra: How to Get Your Son and Yourself Hooked on a K-Drama

 

SERIES REVIEW: MEMORIES OF THE ALHAMBRA (2018-2019)

Augmented reality, scenic Spanish streets, swashbuckling action, slow-burn romance, a dimpled Byronic hero, Memories of the Alhambra has it all. Memories of the Alhambra is a genre-bending, sixteen-episode K-drama series currently streaming on Netflix.

Like many K-dramas before it, Memories of the Alhambra has an epic cast and a storyline that twists and turns and flashes forward and backward. There are cliffhangers aplenty in this series of over sixteen hours.

At its heart though is a romance. The slow-burning, possibly doomed romance between the arrogant, high-flying tech innovator Yoo Jin-woo (Hyun Bin) and the demure and dutiful hostel owner and guitar maker Jung Hee-joo (Park Shin-hye).

Jin-woo ends up at Hee-joo’s hostel in Granada, Spain. And how and why this rich tech world star ends up in her rundown hostel and the aftereffects of that stay is the story in a nutshell.

THIS IS THE COMPUTER GAME THAT WILL NEVER END

Jin-woo gets a mysterious call in the middle of the night at his Barcelona hotel room, a call summoning him to come to the Bonita Hostel in Granada. The call is from a young man, looking to sell an extraordinary computer game he has been developing.

When Jin-woo’s competitor is named as a possible buyer, Jin-woo’s interest is immediately piqued. He heads to Granada. But the young man never shows up.

Unbeknownst to hostel owner and responsible big sis, Hee-joo, it’s her little brother who is this programming genius. He has created an augmented reality computer game, where instead of sitting behind screens, players are out in the real world, utilizing Jin-woo’s innovative contact lenses to play in the streets and shops and squares of Granada.

The game brings to life medieval Granada, especially its warriors. Yeah, think Pokémon Go hotspots, but instead of cute little creatures to catch, players must fight assassins and soldiers and warriors and pirates and the like.

For any role-playing game aficionados out there, this game is an RPG in real life, where players walk around, find weapons, gain experience points, earn money, fight and fight some more to move up the levels.

 

The more Jin-woo plays, the more it starts to become apparent that this augmented play realm has real-life repercussions. Some rather serious and final.

 

Yeah, I don’t want to give it all away. But there’s a glitch in the game that starts making this augmented reality way too real. Think Tron here. Even with his lenses out and not logged in, Jin-woo becomes a permanent player, always playing, even far from the streets of Granada.

So, how does he get out, stop the game, fix this glitch, and maybe find that missing creator? See Memories of the Alhambra to find out.

WAIT, WHERE’S THE ROMANCE?!

Yes, the above description sounds like a fast-paced action thriller. And, indeed, in many ways Memories of the Alhambra is an action thriller. There are fight scenes aplenty (with a good amount of blood) and tons of RPG-screen shots of stats – vitality, hit points, experience, abilities, etc. Yeah, it’s pretty much like watching your son play an electronic RPG-game. And the CGI here is first rate.

But what takes this show out of pure action thriller is the amount of time given to the development of relationships. The story is continually built upon non-linearly, meaning that in every episode there are windows into the past and the future.

These windows add more and more layers to this tale. Layers which explain where characters have been and where they’re going, giving us insight into why they act as they do. It’s an incredibly engaging story-building form.

 

And what we learn is that there is much more to Jin-woo than a pretty face, two failed marriages, an enormous bank account with an ego to match. He ends up in Mr. Rochester territory for me – and I don’t say that lightly, diehard Rochester fan that I am.

The smarmy charms and sarcastic snipes begin to fall away. There’s a nobility there, a stoic suffering, an idealist, a man willing to take the hit, to lay down his very life to protect those dear to him. It is his mission to find the missing creator, Hee-joo’s little brother, knowing that it may very well cost him his life.

 

And he does this because he loves her, Hee-joo, although he never says it. She is the pure, idealistic, feisty Jane to his Rochester.

Hee-joo sees him, the goodness in him, and as much as he warns her to keep her distance, she’s there – often crying or yelling at him or both (-: And as much as he tries to distance himself from her to protect her from himself and this never-ending dangerous game, he has trouble completely keeping her at arm’s length.

Oh, it’s good stuff. Facades fall. Characters grow and reflect. And a romance flickers so tantalizingly between our two leads.

A MOM-AND-SON WATCH

I watched Memories of the Alhambra with my tween son (the series is rated TV-MA for fight scenes). Mom’s getting her Rochester and Jane romance while son is getting a good sci-fi dose of augmented reality gaming. (Okay, I admit it, I also have a thing for butt-kicking action.) It’s a marriage made in heaven. It works and works well.

 

Sometimes the K-drama propensity for long, slow-mo shots got my son and I giggling. Hee-joo’s shocked big eyes got a bit infuriating at times. But it got better a few episodes in, and I know this is something of a K-drama trope.

For the most part, though, Memories of the Alhambra is a gripping, romantic, quest tale.

 

The two leads have great chemistry. Hyun Bin as Jin-woo is the linchpin in this production, and he knocks it out of the park. He is fantastic in this role, playing the jerk, the charmer, the action star, the haunted stoic. In short, the Byronic hero – with dimples! (I have a thing for dimples – married a pair myself, which my son inherited). Oh, he shines here in this role.

 

OVERALL THOUGHTS

 

In short, Memories of the Alhambra has a broad appeal. The production is high quality, and the cinematography is lovely. The acting is great, and the story is innovative. You’ll laugh, cringe, roll your eyes, question, wonder, sigh, swoon, cry, gasp, worry. You should be able to convince the male(s) in your life to see it with you without too much arm twisting.

And yeah, it doesn’t always make sense – technically – like how the heck are they trapped in a game?! And yeah, there’re many none too subtle product placements. But then Jin-woo smiles with those dimples, and I forgive and forget (-:

 

https://www.silverpetticoatreview.com/2019/07/02/memories-of-the-alhambra-kdrama-review/

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rori0711 said:

 

And he does this because he loves her, Hee-joo, although he never says it. She is the pure, idealistic, feisty Jane to his Rochester.

Hee-joo sees him, the goodness in him, and as much as he warns her to keep her distance, she’s there – often crying or yelling at him or both (-: And as much as he tries to distance himself from her to protect her from himself and this never-ending dangerous game, he has trouble completely keeping her at arm’s length.

Oh, it’s good stuff. Facades fall. Characters grow and reflect. And a romance flickers so tantalizingly between our two leads.

 

This is why I love them so!

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d1b87314c42424b41 

 

6 hours ago, rori0711 said:

yep, that's her signature :) 

Where is this guitar now? Did the production company keep it?

 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, rori0711 said:

The smarmy charms and sarcastic snipes begin to fall away. There’s a nobility there, a stoic suffering, an idealist, a man willing to take the hit, to lay down his very life to protect those dear to him. It is his mission to find the missing creator, Hee-joo’s little brother, knowing that it may very well cost him his life.

 

And he does this because he loves her, Hee-joo, although he never says it. She is the pure, idealistic, feisty Jane to his Rochester.

Hee-joo sees him, the goodness in him, and as much as he warns her to keep her distance, she’s there – often crying or yelling at him or both (-: And as much as he tries to distance himself from her to protect her from himself and this never-ending dangerous game, he has trouble completely keeping her at arm’s length.

Oh, it’s good stuff. Facades fall. Characters grow and reflect. And a romance flickers so tantalizingly between our two leads.

 

41 minutes ago, gets0meair said:

This is why I love them so!

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d1b87314c42424b41

 

i can't breath with how the reviewer put into words Jinwoo and his love for Heejoo :bawling: She's a long lost soulmate of ours :sweat_smile: Damn, I missed Memories of The Alhambra :bawling:

 

 

Quote

Where is this guitar now? Did the production company keep it?

I believe so. Part of their artistic artifacts waiting for exhibit one day :wub:

Dumu3V5UcAA4Ztc.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The day I left Granada, I thought we would be meeting soon. Once See-ju came back. - Yoo Jinwoo

 

8-4.gif?type=w966

ctto

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rori0711 said:

MEMORIES OF THE ALHAMBRA: HOW TO GET YOUR SON AND YOURSELF HOOKED ON A K-DRAMA

Posted by Jessica Jørgensen | Jul 2, 2019 | 

Memories of the Alhambra: How to Get Your Son and Yourself Hooked on a K-Drama

 

SERIES REVIEW: MEMORIES OF THE ALHAMBRA (2018-2019)

Augmented reality, scenic Spanish streets, swashbuckling action, slow-burn romance, a dimpled Byronic hero, Memories of the Alhambra has it all. Memories of the Alhambra is a genre-bending, sixteen-episode K-drama series currently streaming on Netflix.

Like many K-dramas before it, Memories of the Alhambra has an epic cast and a storyline that twists and turns and flashes forward and backward. There are cliffhangers aplenty in this series of over sixteen hours.

At its heart though is a romance. The slow-burning, possibly doomed romance between the arrogant, high-flying tech innovator Yoo Jin-woo (Hyun Bin) and the demure and dutiful hostel owner and guitar maker Jung Hee-joo (Park Shin-hye).

Jin-woo ends up at Hee-joo’s hostel in Granada, Spain. And how and why this rich tech world star ends up in her rundown hostel and the aftereffects of that stay is the story in a nutshell.

THIS IS THE COMPUTER GAME THAT WILL NEVER END

Jin-woo gets a mysterious call in the middle of the night at his Barcelona hotel room, a call summoning him to come to the Bonita Hostel in Granada. The call is from a young man, looking to sell an extraordinary computer game he has been developing.

When Jin-woo’s competitor is named as a possible buyer, Jin-woo’s interest is immediately piqued. He heads to Granada. But the young man never shows up.

Unbeknownst to hostel owner and responsible big sis, Hee-joo, it’s her little brother who is this programming genius. He has created an augmented reality computer game, where instead of sitting behind screens, players are out in the real world, utilizing Jin-woo’s innovative contact lenses to play in the streets and shops and squares of Granada.

The game brings to life medieval Granada, especially its warriors. Yeah, think Pokémon Go hotspots, but instead of cute little creatures to catch, players must fight assassins and soldiers and warriors and pirates and the like.

For any role-playing game aficionados out there, this game is an RPG in real life, where players walk around, find weapons, gain experience points, earn money, fight and fight some more to move up the levels.

 

The more Jin-woo plays, the more it starts to become apparent that this augmented play realm has real-life repercussions. Some rather serious and final.

 

Yeah, I don’t want to give it all away. But there’s a glitch in the game that starts making this augmented reality way too real. Think Tron here. Even with his lenses out and not logged in, Jin-woo becomes a permanent player, always playing, even far from the streets of Granada.

So, how does he get out, stop the game, fix this glitch, and maybe find that missing creator? See Memories of the Alhambra to find out.

WAIT, WHERE’S THE ROMANCE?!

Yes, the above description sounds like a fast-paced action thriller. And, indeed, in many ways Memories of the Alhambra is an action thriller. There are fight scenes aplenty (with a good amount of blood) and tons of RPG-screen shots of stats – vitality, hit points, experience, abilities, etc. Yeah, it’s pretty much like watching your son play an electronic RPG-game. And the CGI here is first rate.

But what takes this show out of pure action thriller is the amount of time given to the development of relationships. The story is continually built upon non-linearly, meaning that in every episode there are windows into the past and the future.

These windows add more and more layers to this tale. Layers which explain where characters have been and where they’re going, giving us insight into why they act as they do. It’s an incredibly engaging story-building form.

 

And what we learn is that there is much more to Jin-woo than a pretty face, two failed marriages, an enormous bank account with an ego to match. He ends up in Mr. Rochester territory for me – and I don’t say that lightly, diehard Rochester fan that I am.

The smarmy charms and sarcastic snipes begin to fall away. There’s a nobility there, a stoic suffering, an idealist, a man willing to take the hit, to lay down his very life to protect those dear to him. It is his mission to find the missing creator, Hee-joo’s little brother, knowing that it may very well cost him his life.

 

And he does this because he loves her, Hee-joo, although he never says it. She is the pure, idealistic, feisty Jane to his Rochester.

Hee-joo sees him, the goodness in him, and as much as he warns her to keep her distance, she’s there – often crying or yelling at him or both (-: And as much as he tries to distance himself from her to protect her from himself and this never-ending dangerous game, he has trouble completely keeping her at arm’s length.

Oh, it’s good stuff. Facades fall. Characters grow and reflect. And a romance flickers so tantalizingly between our two leads.

A MOM-AND-SON WATCH

I watched Memories of the Alhambra with my tween son (the series is rated TV-MA for fight scenes). Mom’s getting her Rochester and Jane romance while son is getting a good sci-fi dose of augmented reality gaming. (Okay, I admit it, I also have a thing for butt-kicking action.) It’s a marriage made in heaven. It works and works well.

 

Sometimes the K-drama propensity for long, slow-mo shots got my son and I giggling. Hee-joo’s shocked big eyes got a bit infuriating at times. But it got better a few episodes in, and I know this is something of a K-drama trope.

For the most part, though, Memories of the Alhambra is a gripping, romantic, quest tale.

 

The two leads have great chemistry. Hyun Bin as Jin-woo is the linchpin in this production, and he knocks it out of the park. He is fantastic in this role, playing the jerk, the charmer, the action star, the haunted stoic. In short, the Byronic hero – with dimples! (I have a thing for dimples – married a pair myself, which my son inherited). Oh, he shines here in this role.

 

OVERALL THOUGHTS

 

In short, Memories of the Alhambra has a broad appeal. The production is high quality, and the cinematography is lovely. The acting is great, and the story is innovative. You’ll laugh, cringe, roll your eyes, question, wonder, sigh, swoon, cry, gasp, worry. You should be able to convince the male(s) in your life to see it with you without too much arm twisting.

And yeah, it doesn’t always make sense – technically – like how the heck are they trapped in a game?! And yeah, there’re many none too subtle product placements. But then Jin-woo smiles with those dimples, and I forgive and forget (-:

 

https://www.silverpetticoatreview.com/2019/07/02/memories-of-the-alhambra-kdrama-review/

Argh..the writer explained it excellently..and I feel goosebumps while reading this review.

 

I watched with my family too..and I really miss Memories of the Alhambra. The most unique drama that I've ever watched and of course, with the most presentable HyunBin and the most stunning Park Shin Hye:wub:. Just by having simple dialogue and by merely staring each other, we can feel the 'fire' between these two leads.

 

And yes, agree with the writer, product placements are forgettable when we see Jin woo dimples and Hee joo's beauty.:D

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, rori0711 said:

I believe so. Part of their artistic artifacts waiting for exhibit one day :wub:

Dumu3V5UcAA4Ztc.jpg

 

 

 

Ahhhhh!!! I've never seen these photos before!! Thank you!!

The dagger is signed by Hyun Bin? I hope this exhibit will happen in the near future.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gets0meair said:

hhhhh!!! I've never seen these photos before!! Thank you!!

The dagger is signed by Hyun Bin? I hope this exhibit will happen in the near future.

Yes dear, it's Hyun Bin's signature:wub:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Memories of the Alhambra

so here’s my thoughts on this show lol

*spoilers*

tumblr_pmy8vng2FK1s2dxdq_1280.jpg

Ok so overall it’s a full 10/10 it’s richard simmons insane. Usually i’m not someone that’s into sci-fi (?) movies or shows, even though when I actually watch them, I really like them so I should probably stop doing that

The Plot:

I love this plot bc even if it’s fake in some aspects, I can totally see this game/the contact lenses being a thing in the near future. I love Hyunbin’s character, Jinwoo so richard simmons much wow. This poor dude is given nothing but shitty, difficult situations but he still deals with them and overcomes them no matter what. Why? bc Jinwoo ain’t no richard simmons!! Yeah it’s hard to level up, yeah everyone think’s he’s going crazy and he knows that, yeah he see’s Hyungseok every single day of this life, yeah he slowly gets addicted to drugs and alcohol, yeah he’s trying his hardest to find Sejoo, yeah he hurt his leg and has to use a cane to walk now; but he’s doing it. Through all the richard simmons piled up on his shoulders, he’s still pushing through. He refuses to give up, not because he can’t, but because he knows he won’t be able to live with himself if he doesn’t finish what he started. Also I know a lot of people weren’t happy with Heejoo as a character because she cried a lot but honestly the way I see it is, even though Heejoo & Jinwoo start to develop some kind of relationship, she is still living her life and he’s living his. Heejoo is still taking care of her family and running the guitar workshop, Jinwoo is still dealing with trying to find Sejoo in the game and all the personal richard simmons he has going on. They’re both still their own people. She cries because she’s worried. Worried about her brother that’s been MIA for a year, worried for her family, and worried for Jinwoo because she’s just trying to understand what he’s been dealing with every day of his life. And people were upset her character never went into the game and became this badass, beat-everyone-up-girl, well that’s because even when she found out about the game and what the lenses do, that wasn’t her. She isn’t a gamer, she isn’t someone who’s gonna go head first into this game and try and find her brother. Jinwoo is the perfect example, it took him a year to get where he was and at that point he still wasn’t very close to finding Sejoo, so what did you really think Heejoo joining the game would do?

Jinwoo & Heejoo’s relationship:

No lie I love their relationship. I’m totally someone that loves romance and to see the two leads fall in love, and be cute and clingy but with them, their slowly progressing relationship felt the most real. Ever since their first meeting you can see that when they meet again and again, they slowly start to care for each other more and more. And at first it can be seen as a friendly thing, but I think the moment that all changes is when Jinwoo leaves Granada on Heejoo’s birthday. He runs away because he’s scared then he see’s her running after his train, crying, and he knows at that moment that he feels something for her because she’s the first woman to every cry for him because he wasn’t there. And Heejoo as well, she didn’t have to leave her birthday party to run after him, but she did because she hated the thought of her not saying goodbye to Jinwoo. I loved that their relationship wasn’t rushed especially with the kisses. In all of the 16 episodes, they kiss twice, and for me that was all I needed as a viewer because in those two moments you can see how much they really care about one another. I actually really liked that their ‘romance’ wasn’t the main plot point of this series even though that was one of the reasons I initially watched it. I liked how they never really said that they were together or not and I think that was very relatable. Cause watching it you can clearly see that they slowly start to mean something to each other but it’s also never quite the right time for them to be like “ok what are we seriously” even when Jinwoo & Heejoo have that conversation about “are you my girlfriend or what? I don’t remember proposing to you by any chance?,, // i can be your girlfriend what’s so hard about it?” it’s kinda taken lightly and not as ‘we’re a thing now’. Also the age gap didn’t bother me at all, they looked at each other like you look at anyone you have love for so I thought they were really cute together.

The Ending:

Ok, i’ll admit that I wanted nothing more than for Jinwoo to get the happy ending he deserved but also, did you watch the show? Nothing good in all the 16 episodes has happened to Jinwoo (besides Heejoo) so why would the ending be different? I think that would’ve thrown the show off more tbh. I mean think about it, he’s literally dealing with so much richard simmons through the whole series but that’s magically supposed to change? Even if the ending was different, the game is still programmed into his brain isn’t it? The cops are still looking for him aren’t they? In no way was he gonna get the storybook happy ending even if that’s what he deserved. Honestly it reminded me a bit of Shameless when Mickey escapes jail & is on the run, i’m just glad Heejoo wasn’t the Ian character & gave Jinwoo false hope only to be shattered (can you tell i’m still not over Ian doing that to Mickey lol). Anyways let’s start with Jinwoo not ringing the doorbell & letting Heejoo know he’s safe. To be honest, I understand why he did it. Jinwoo clearly loves cares for Heejoo and he wants to see her and let her know he’s safe but also, he doesn’t want to rope her into all his richard simmons. Even if he rings the bell he knows the cops are still after him so why should he drag Heejoo through that? and her family through that? For Jinwoo, it’s better that she doesn’t know what happens to him and just leave bc she’s already knows what its like to lose him. He doesn’t want to hurt her but he knows this is the best way to deal with the situation. And Ik this might be a shitty excuse but he told Heejoo twice not to put her trust in him and that she might end up hating him one day. Now, with Jinwoo being stuck (?) in the dungeon, it makes sense and it doesn’t. Why would he willingly want to trap himself in the game if he knows how difficult it was to get Sejoo out? but on another hand why wouldn’t he? Maybe he thinks that after everything he’s done in the game, and everything going on in real life, he deserves to be in there or wants to be in there. Maybe for him it’s the only way he wants to keep living or to wait for someone to get him out. I hate that Junghoon had to get killed as a bug and clearly It was really hard for Jinwoo to do it but also I think Jinwoo knows that Junghoon shouldn’t be stuck in the game as his ‘saving grace’ and that he should be put the rest the right way.The Yura wedding scene was so unnecessary and I really don’t know why it was even in the final cut like?? Idk maybe there will be a season 2 that answers all the questions and maybe there won’t. Either way I really enjoyed this show, I was hooked straight from ep1 and overall I’m glad I watched it.

 

      cr: cheap-pack-of-cigarettes 
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...