[Drama 2019] The Light In Your Eyes, 눈이 부시게

0ly40

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This night, HJ, in a beautiful young age, still doesn't come back as usual. I think the story will be resolved and see a good conclusion in episode 11, hoping that HJ in the young age will return to the original body permanently, not returning to old age again. The final episode should be a successful dream that is true about both HJ and JH's career, as well as the love of both.:heart:

What an episode! :fearful: it's so heart wrenching to watch. as i saw from the trailer, Han Ji Min use a white hanbok (use by a family member when someone in the family died, CMIIMW), does it mean hyeja travel back and leave it all as it should be, which means his father is going to die in order to save jun ha future?? or was it the grandpa on the wheelchair who travelled back (cos it seems he dropped it on some street, and it seems where young hyeja is standing near)?? ok, i don't want to speculate anymore, as this episode already drained my mind.:frown:

On 3/9/2019 at 5:09 AM, chickfactor said:

I personally think that the show is extremely romantic.

That wistful, heartbreaking way that Joon-Ha’s face looks when he remembers the short time they had together is unbearably romantic to me. He loved her, and she was already his everything. And then she disappeared.

They can’t be together now as a couple, but they are truly together in spirit, because he may not know it, but she is actually watching over him very close by (in the form of an older woman). They can’t be young lovers right now, but their hearts are still reaching towards each other.

All the problems he has now - resentment towards his parents, self-esteem and anger issues - were always there. She gets to see him from a different perspective, and they interact with each other differently, than if she had stayed young.

They are there for each other through tough times. They're about to deal with a terrible crisis, and they'll lean on each other. It's beautiful. I really love this show.

I agree with you. Not many people can see this romance nor they can understand it. 

For some reasons, i got this feeling this drama will get some nominations for various categories. all aspects almost perfect (well nothing is perfect though :D). I don't mind Han ji min got few scenes cos she's just supporting role, but her decision to join the cast was right and her acting harmonize well with all the cast. I can't think any actress would be able to replace/fit her role (well this is just my opinion). so it's a good decision for both actress and casting director.

Ep. 10 text preview translated:

[10회 예고] 이준하 팀장이 납치를요!?

겉으로 티내진 않지만 혜자(김혜자)는 떠난 준하(남주혁)가 그립기만 하다. 그런데 우연히 들린 준하의 집에서 여행 가방이 그대로 남아있는 것을 보고 혜자는 준하가 출국하지 않았다는 사실을 알게 되고... 한편, 준하의 소식을 알기 위해 홍보관을 찾은 혜자는 희원(김희원)이 사망보험에 가입된 노인들만 야유회를 데리고 간다는 사실에 수상함을 느끼는데...

Hye-Ja doesn't show it, but she longs to see Joon-Ha again. She happens to visit Joon-Ha's home and sees that his packed luggage is still there, so she learns that he did not leave the country... To find out where he is, she visits the Senior Center and feels suspicion when she hears that Hee-Won is taking only the people who bought life insurance on a picnic...

--

My thoughts on 9:

Aftermath of Chanel's death:

As a pure storytelling critique, I liked that this entire storyline was treated rather gently, without histrionics. The son neglected and ignored his mother. Not much else to this. It was just a quiet, casual neglect that could happen to so many people. Even the investigation and the exoneration was dealt with in a sober way, with none of the usual intrigue or screaming and throwing stuff that you see in so many police station scenes. It really drove home what an everyday tragedy this is.

Joon-Ha's grief and heartbreak over this was so... :tears: :tears: :tears:. And his conversation with Hye-Ja at their usual noodle shop was so... :tears: :tears:

I loved it when some of the elderly stuck up for Joon-Ha when he was suspected of killing Chanel for her insurance money. They saw his truth, just like Hye-Ja did.

Hee-Won and his henchman reveal themselves to be the cackling villains we always knew they were.

Tomorrow we learn more about that old man with the watch. I can't begin to guess what's going on there, but I can't wait to find out.

I love that Young-Soo is finally getting off his butt to do something during the day besides making his stupid broadcasts. But I also miss the broadcasts, too. They were so funny.

--

ETA: More thoughts on 9

I really appreciate this show for addressing ageism. Old people don't deserve plastic surgery and during a fire alarm, they should be the last ones who get to escape the building. If there were not enough life jackets on a sinking ship, I guess they would throw the oldsters overboard! This show really made me think about how the elderly can be exploited and ignored by society.

Paradoxically, elders are treated with deference in Korea - people speak formally to them and sit on their knees in front of them - these manners are taught and ingrained to the point that when Hyun-Joo and Sang-Eun speak ban-mal in public to Hye-Ja, people stare and scold them. Good manners is one thing, but then they mock and ignore the elderly when it really matters.

I feel that the way that Chanel's son treated her is part of this. He simply ignored her and pretended that she didn't exist. He probably thought of her as burdensome. He won't show up for his mother's entire funeral, but he shows up on the last day to make it appear to the public as if he was a filial son. We wonder - how can he do this? But it's probably a lot more common than we realize.

It's a more severe version of what a lot of older people on the show feel. The reason they enjoyed going to the Senior Center so much is that they felt like they were burdens to their family. Some of their families even admitted (at the salon) that having the old grandma or grandpa around the house was suffocating.

A lot of people feel that old people are boring. It's why some people think that this show is boring - too many old people being old and not enough dewy, fresh young people kissing each other.

This show is a tribute to Kim Hye-Ja but it's a tribute to old people in general. A lot of the old people you see are screen are not professional actors. Some of them are (like Chanel and Hyun), but some of them are real-life regular people and this show is a tribute to them, too.

Old people can be awesome. Bring on the "Halvengers" tomorrow. (Ha ha. Koreans are the masters at making these weird, hybrid words. I'll bet they have a cute word for 'hybrid words,' too!)

(So Hee-Won is going take all the people who bought life insurance on a picnic? Is he going to drown them all at once so he can collect all the insurance money? Geez. we knew he was a scam artist, but that escalated quickly.)

Thank you @chickfactor :) for you recaps and thoughts woven in.  I haven't had the chance to watch yet.  Waiting for subs.  I agree with you about liking how the drama's take on reality is just telling it as it is minus the histrionics and blame game.

Not long now till resolution next week.  I'm really intrigued to find out how the writer will pen the ending.  

The Light in Your Eyes] Ep 9 spoilers, Kim Hye Ja x Han Ji Min x Nam Joo Hyuk

Article: Naver 'The Light in Your Eyes' Nam Joo Hyuk as the suspect of Jung Young Sook's murder... Kim Hye Ja 'faints' 

1. [+825,-16]
Nam Joo Hyuk's acting when he cried was crazy... It was just Joon Ha himself tearing up.. 

2. [+529,-10]
I hope Han Ji Min comes back now.. This is so sad and depressing. 

3. [+329,-7]
But why exactly is grandma Chanel's son acting like that? Why is he denying his mother? 

4. [+296,-86]
Today's episode was too depressing, draggy, and boring. I changed the channel because it's depressing to keep watching. 

5. [+282,-150]
Not really sure what they are trying to convey. Are they trying to portray how you have to pay the price if you turn back time, the pitiful lives of elderlies, or use grandma Chanel to create a murder case? The story is bad. It's trash. 

6. [+139,-8]
I like the story. But it looks like the responses aren't too good. Is it only interesting if the old Hye Ja gets along well with Nam Joo Hyuk and becomes younger again..? 

7. [+124,-5]
Actor Nam Joo Hyuk's huge growth. 

8. [+98,-3]
Nam Joo Hyuk's acting has improved a lot. I cried when I saw him crying~

9. [+83,-3]
Has Nam Joo Hyuk always been this good at acting? The Light in Your Eyes is cool~~

10. [+80,-1]
Until when is Joon Ha going to stay at his lowest point? He's just a character, but he's so pitiful.. 

light.png

Article: Naver 'The Light in Your Eyes' Nam Joo Hyuk cries when Jung Young Sook dies... Kidnapped by Kim Hee Won 

1. [+1894,-15]
Nam Joo Hyuk cried with his hand covering his face, that scene was really sad.. It feels like he didn't use any strength, and he seemed like a natural actor... Nam Joo Hyuk's acting has improved a lot. 

2. [+1227,-13]
Nam Joo Hyuk's improved acting is dazzling. [t/n: literal title of this drama is 'Eyes are Dazzling']

3. [+662,-50]
Why exactly is the story going in this direction?  ㅠㅠ

4. [+479,-6]
Please let Joon Ha be happy. The story is depressing, but I'll trust in the preview with Halvengers [t/n: elderlies = halmoni/halabeoji + avengers?], I'm going to continue watching this. 

5. [+263,-5]
Seriously, please don't hurt Joon Ha. 

6. [+219,-1]
When grandma Chanel's son appeared at the funeral to send her off at the end.. I wanted him to tell his son to get lost and beat him up.. But I think he wouldn't be able to do that for grandma Chanel's sake.. Ha.. How can a son like that exist.. 

7. [+207,-4]
I think Nam Joo Hyuk has practiced his acting a lot because he is acting with respectable seniors. I don't hear anyone saying that his acting is bad now. 

8. [+189,-0]
The drama is trying to say that we should cherish and love the lives that we are living now. And express our love to the people who are precious to us a lot. All of our lives are dear and precious. 

https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-light-in-your-eyes-ep-9-spoilers.html

Down from high of last week but still number 1 (only just)  (Source kDrama News Tweet)

Ratings 190311:

#Haechi : 6.5% | 7.5%

#MyLawyerMrJo2 : 5.2% | 6.9%

#Item : 3.2% | 3.6%

#TheLightInYourEyes : 7.7%

#HeisPsychometric : 2.5%

Last night's episode seems to be a healing moment for Joon Ha. During the taxi ride with Joon Ha, Lady Chanel spoke words he didn't know he needed to hear; words that might have come from his own mother also, had she given a chance to speak with him. "A mother is always worried about her child." It speaks also of how Joon Ha's grandmother can't seem to just forget about her 'good-for-nothing' son.

I believe that Joon Ha's awareness and appreciation of how people embraced his life for him is a step to a better and happier life. I hope this realization would encourage him to love himself as well and to fight for his life for own sake and for the sake of those who care for him.

Looking forward to seeing tonight's development. (And Young Soo's date with Hyun Ju too. :D)

13 hours ago, chickfactor said:

A lot of people feel that old people are boring. It's why some people think that this show is boring - too many old people being old and not enough dewy, fresh young people kissing each other.

This show is a tribute to Kim Hye-Ja but it's a tribute to old people in general. A lot of the old people you see are screen are not professional actors. Some of them are (like Chanel and Hyun), but some of them are real-life regular people and this show is a tribute to them, too.

Old people can be awesome. Bring on the "Halvengers" tomorrow. (Ha ha. Koreans are the masters at making these weird, hybrid words. I'll bet they have a cute word for 'hybrid words,' too!)

(So Hee-Won is going take all the people who bought life insurance on a picnic? Is he going to drown them all at once so he can collect all the insurance money? Geez. we knew he was a scam artist, but that escalated quickly.)

Beautifully said. :wub:. I actual really like the pacing of this show.  I have read comments that the episodes so far have been 'fillers'/too slow and seem superfluous because the commenters feel like the side stories don't 'matter' as much as the one between the young OTP?  They don't get the point of it?   The fact that they don't get it is really an indictment on their prejudices about what constitutes romance, or what constitutes value, or what constitutes stories worth watching?  Similar to what everyone did in the beginning with the news of Chanel's death?  Changing the channel, reading something else, as if she never mattered...and ironically only when her case becomes a potential homicide with JoonHa's involvement did the Internet articles seem to surface?  

Ordinary is what this drama is about.  How all these 'old people' really do live in our lives yet we have no eyes to see them.  They become nearly invisible, waiting to die.  Relics of the past who we give due adulation to when necessary but are by and large inconveniences. Yet their lives are so rich.  They cherish everything they can do.  They dance, they sing, they care for each other.  In actual fact, they are the ones who 'see' everything because life slows for them and they can sit and watch and observe.  We need to see them and relate to them like we do our peers or our children.

Cried pretty much the whole episode. :tears:.  So sad that it is only at her death that we finally (actually everyone) gets to know her real name, even HyeJa.  And only after her death that her Son acknowledges her existence to his Son (she is not the Grandma from yesterday.  She is your real grandma)...did he see his potential future in the eyes of his Son?  How when he ages he too may face the same fate as his Mother?  Forgotten.  Put aside.  Obsolete.

Personally no matter how this drama ends, it's a winner on all fronts for me.  I'm one satisfied customer already. :wub:

4 hours ago, nrllee said:

B I actual really like the pacing of this show.  I have read comments that the episodes so far have been 'fillers'/too slow and seem superfluous because the commenters feel like the side stories don't 'matter' as much as the one between the young OTP?  They don't get the point of it?   The fact that they don't get it is really an indictment on their prejudices about what constitutes romance, or what constitutes value, or what constitutes stories worth watching?  Similar to what everyone did in the beginning with the news of Chanel's death?  Changing the channel, reading something else, as if she never mattered...and ironically only when her case becomes a potential homicide with JoonHa's involvement did the Internet articles seem to surface?  

Ordinary is what this drama is about.  How all these 'old people' really do live in our lives yet we have no eyes to see them.  They become nearly invisible, waiting to die.  Relics of the past who we give due adulation to when necessary but are by and large inconveniences. Yet their lives are so rich.  They cherish everything they can do.  They dance, they sing, they care for each other.  In actual fact, they are the ones who 'see' everything because life slows for them and they can sit and watch and observe.  We need to see them and relate to them like we do our peers or our children.

well said :thumbsup:. at some point i can understand some people perspective about this drama. i guess this is due to the synopsis that was too ambiguous or potentially could lead to misunderstanding of the story. at first i wasn't intrigued by reading the synopsis that they have given. but i want to give it a try, and this drama goes beyond my expectation (good job!):w00t:. but i do feel there are episodes that a little too slow. however it happens all the time at any serial dramas, even in American series, because perhaps they wanted to slow it down a bit the story and put in a little clue or sometimes backstory of another minor character yet crucial one (well we call it "small role, big impact"). so this is fine to me, but probably not a cup of tea for major korean drama lovers, which i assume is many much younger viewers has been rising this past years. not to mention the male lead's fans (well i don't need to explain how much younger his fans are :lol: ). younger viewers tend to prefer to the story of the young lovers, they ignore the whole point of the drama, so many of them disappointed when Kim Hye Ja appearance has become longer than Han Ji Min. However i believe few of them still stand and stay to watch because the story is considered rare in k-drama land.

3 hours ago, tok-soompi said:

Netizens are really resourceful.  They found NJH's jacket!

the side effect of korean drama :lol:. i was thinking it was the jacket that the staffs talked about in one of articles that has been posted. she only got borrowed.:D

O MY GOD!! TONIGHT EPISODE WAS :cold_sweat:. Now i know where the fantasy came from.

After I sat live in episode 10 during the last 5 minutes of the story I appreciate the writer. You shocked me and couldn't stop thinking for a while. Even the sequence of stories that happened from the beginning Your drama is fantastic, too predictable and too poor. It makes me confused:bawling:

There are issues that May be related to the symptoms of her Alzheimer's disease It caused her to have hallucinations.:bawling:

https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=468&aid=0000482832&spi_ref=m_entertain_twitter

tonight episode was really a plot twist, is it only me that didn't see it coming? every week i wonder how the writer gonna put an end to this story. after watching the ending of tonight episode now i can see it.

now it all make sense, piece by piece come to this disclosure. her father was actually her son, that is why when she defend him and say that she is his mother, that shocking face of the father. and her brother who was looking for her and tell the police that her grandmother was lost, probably he was being his true self as her grandson. oh my, what a story! :confounded: well done well done :thumbsup::thumbsup:

i guess it's quite similiar to han ji min's movie "salut d'amour"

@nidcha202 instead of confused, i am more relieved cos tonight episode.

again salute to the writers, director, actors, and all the crew.

45 minutes ago, unknown12 said:

tonight episode was really a plot twist, is it only me that didn't see it coming? every week i wonder how the writer gonna put an end to this story. after watching the ending of tonight episode now i can see it.

now it all make sense, piece by piece come to this disclosure. his father was actually her son, that is why when she defend him and say that she is her mother, that shocking face of the father. and her brother who was looking for her and tell the police that her grandmother was lost, probably he was being his true self as her grandson. oh my, what a story! :confounded: well done well done :thumbsup::thumbsup:

i guess it quite similiar to han ji min's movie "salut d'amour"

@nidcha202 instead of confused, i am more relieved cos tonight episode.

again salute to the writers, director, actors, and all the crew.

@unknown12 you are not alone. I have been trying so hard to figure out how this drama would turn out but I now I realize it's too ambitious to even try. I extend my huge admiration to all those who worked behind the story of this drama. Now I understand why its cast chose to participate in this drama. The Light In Your Eyes would definitely stay in my list of the most memorable K-Dramas.

This is indeed a tribute and an invitation to be more considerate and charitable to the elderly around us.

Archived