[Drama 2019] The Light In Your Eyes, 눈이 부시게

0ly40

Ep 7 thoughts (as pointed out time travel always has plot holes if you try to think too hard so I tried not to) :lol:  I am loving this drama.  The PD is right in saying that it offers hope.  It does that in bucketloads.

Spoiler

1.  I think JoonHa did turn the watch back (speculative on my part). The hint was the voice over at the end.  He wanted to regain his lost love?  That's why there was that dream sequence for HyeJa where they went on a date etc...I thought it was odd for her to wake up and everybody didn't seem to know what she was talking about when she informed them that she got her youth back (even the people who were supposed to know).  So for HyeJa it seemed like a dream but it would've been 'real' for JoonHa.  Everyone is responsible for their own reality.  Just because one person turns the watch back and you're part of that equation, it doesn't alter your reality when you wake up.  In other words, just because JoonHa turned the watch back to rejig his past which involves HyeJa, he alone must pay for the consequences of that act in that altered reality.  HyeJa's reality involved her father's accident so she in turn had to 'pay' her way too.  The old man with the watch is a question mark.  What prompted him to turn the watch?  The Law of Equivalents - you have to give up something of equal value when you want something else.  I know this theory raises more questions than not, and I can't figure it out in a logical sequence so I will leave it for now.  Haha.

2. I like that the Anchovy soup place was the same for both HyeJa's Mom and dad.  It was the place where both had connections with HyeJa on a deeper level.  For her dad, it was  remembering that the old HyeJa was still his Daughter and they reconnected as Father and Daughter.  For her Mom, HyeJa 'said' everything that her Mom was already thinking.  All that pent up frustration and disappointment over lost opportunities, lost affection, her largely unrecognised hardships and suffering was brought to light.  HyeJa saw their pain and voiced their innermost thoughts.  When you realise that you are not alone and someone actually sees your suffering, it gives you new perspective.  I am glad that her Mom finished off with, "you know he's not that bad".   There is still love left in their relationship.  I am holding out hope that they will reconcile. :heart:

3. Don't we all wish we could undo the past at certain stages in our life?  I think the writer is urging the audience not to dwell in the past, whether it's lost health, lost love, lost opportunities.  Or for that matter, failing to start because you are fearful of the future (like a lot of the young people in the drama who seem to be living half lives).  Start where you are and live now.  Life is the most precious gift of all, yes it may suck right now, but you can make the most of a bad situation.  Nobody (unless you can time travel) can go back and get a different beginning, but everyone can start where they are and write a different ending. :)

4. As for there being no romance in this drama...well I see it at the Old Folks' Centre.  It's not overplayed but it's there.  There is this old couple where the old man feeds his 'Wife' every meal time.  So lovely to see.  In sickness and in health.  Till death do us part. :wub:

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still love this drama but it seems like the public may be finding the story a bit slow for their tastes...especially those who just want to see the sparks fly between the young leads.  Maybe because I am more 'mature' in age so slow is okay for me - if it's slow for a reason that is (development of side characters to flesh out the story).  If it's just slow and stalling because the writer has run out of things to say, then I have a problem.  Only 2 weeks left of this - I will be sad to say goodbye to this serendipitous find of a drama. :tears:

Cr https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-light-in-your-eyes-ep-8-spoilers.html

Spoiler

The Light in Your Eyes] Ep 8 spoilers, Kim Hye Ja x Han Ji Min x Nam Joo Hyuk

Posted on Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Article: Naver 'The Light in Your Eyes' Nam Joo Hyuk's secret kills Jung Young Sook 

1. [+2090,-57]
Seriously. ㅋㅋ Why is Son Ho Jun so good at breathing life into that lazy character? ㅋㅋ Like a fish meeting the water, he's doing his character so well. 

2. [+1923,-122]
It's interesting, but why does the development feel a little too slow? It's frustrating to see stories that's not about Hye Ja all the time. This is already a sad drama, they should make it a little more energetic. Almost every episode's about Joon Ha and Hye Ja getting hurt and crying. Those happy times were just a dream... It's 12 episodes, but they are dragging it out every time. What a pity.

3. [+1270,-42]
Turn back, Hye Ja... show us Joon Ha's smiles... 

4. [+737,-37]
I know that there are 12 episodes, but it's already the 8th, why does it feel like the development is a little slow? I only look forward to the next episodes because of the previews.

5. [+631,-49]
The development is kind of getting slower, it's frustrating. What's the point of only making the endings thrilling..?

6. [+228,-8]
Son Ho Jun has really good acting skills seeing how well he acts like a loser. 

7. [+219,-8]
Wow, Son Ho Jun. ㅋㅋㅋㅋ I'm really seeing him in a new light. ㅋㅋㅋㅋ When he did a cool character, I thought he needed improvements, and he had satoori mixed in. Wow, seriously. Without Son Ho Jun, this drama would've been so depressing.. He matches this annoying oppa character so well. 

8. [+216,-5]
Kim Hye Ja is the lead, and Han Ji Min isn't a supporting actress, she became one. I'm enjoying this because the plot is special, it's something that we don't think about deeply. The story is like a dream. The grandmother Hye Ja takes care of Joon Ha out of love and pity, but it doesn't feel disgusting at all. Kim Hye Ja acted really warm. Please take care of me for the remaining episodes too.

9. [+219,-14]
It'd be so dreary and stuffy without the Son Ho Jun couple. I wouldn't be able to keep watching it. I like that it's deep, but the story is starting to be draggy.

Agree, it has too late development. May make everyone bored easily Unfortunately, the drama has already finished filming. The filming of this drama was not as fresh as any other drama. If there is a live broadcast, I think the writer should have the role or role adjustment HJ in a young age has a greater role:D

For ep.7 I am interested in JH that he is associated with an old man with a clock. Why was he scared and shocked when he saw JH's face showing that JH might do something serious wrong with the old man I will wait for the drama's answer.:wub:

Clearly high jump ratings:love:

image.png

Recap of 8:

Spoiler

Hye-Ja:

She is really becoming close with Chanel. They go to a plastic surgery clinic together (or run into each other there). The AGEISM is out of control. The young woman on the elevator assumes that they are going to the wrong floor and when they are in the waiting room (jam-packed) everyone snickers like they don't belong there. SO RUDE AND STRANGE. One guy even snaps a picture to make fun of them and Hye-Ja confronts him.

They go clothes shopping and Chanel picks a nice outfit for Hye-Ja. She tries it on and likes it but decides not to buy it because she doesn't "feel ready" yet.

She also offers to do Chanel's hair for her, so Chanel and two other friends come to the salon and she does their hair. It's sweet, and everyone has a good time. Hyun also comes, and Hye-Ja sends him to buy 'native' pineapples just to get rid of him.

The next day at the center, the Old Man hits Joon-Ha with a pencil cup and makes his head bleed. Joon-Ha tells Hye-Ja that he plans to leave the Center soon.

Chanel is thinking about plastic surgery, getting her hair done and buying new clothes because she is planning to go to the U.S. to visit her son. When Hye-Ja finds out, she goes to tell Joon-Ha at his home. He is there, but she sees that his home is empty because he packed all his things.

Chanel gives Joon-Ha money and asks him to buy a plane ticket for her to the U.S. He finally tells Chanel the truth about lying to her. (It turns out that he was not stealing any money from her like I previously thought. But she was giving him letters that she wrote her son, which he did not send.) Chanel is devastated. Hye-Ja tries to comfort her, but it's no use.

At some point, you see Joon-Ha quit his job. Hee-Won is very angry and throws some paper at him in his office.

The next day, Joon Ha and Chanel both do not show up to the Center. Chanel visits Joon-Ha at his home.

Later that evening, Chanel's body is found in the Han River. :tears:

--

Hye-Ja and Joon-Ha:

Hye-Ja tells Joon-Ha that "Hye-Ja" won't return from Germany ever. He seems sad, but asks Hye-Ja to tell her that he is happy for her. He remembers when Young Hye-Ja taught him how to open a soju bottle her own special way.

Later, as Joon-Ha drives everyone home from the Center, Hye-Ja is the last one left in the car. She says goodbye to him, and she turns into Han Ji-Min and cries while looking out the window.

--

Other storylines:

Young-Soo gets Hyun-Joo to do a broadcast with him and tells everyone that he was her first love. It's pretty hilarious how they refuse to believe it, until he brings out his box of all the things she made for him. When he finally starts reading her love letter to him, she is justifiably angry. The viewers goad him into burning the box and he will get 1000 star candies. He later starts burning the box but can't bring himself to do it, so he puts the fire out by peeing on it. (OMG, Young-Soo!) He later goes to see Hyun-Joo and she gives him a ride on her motorcycle. I'm not sure what they said to each other but he cries while she laughs.

Sang-Eun finally gets her big break when a famous songwriter (famous guest star, but I don't know his name) hears her sing during a mic test at her studio and offers to record an album with her. She is excited and goes out to celebrate with her two best friends. They go to norae-bang (of course) and shopping afterwards. Hye-Ja is exhausted and can't keep up with them.

Sang-Eun wants Hye-Ja's opinion on everything - from her album cover design to other stuff. But Hye-Ja is occupied with Chanel and Sang-Eun feels left out.

Later, Hye-Ja says maybe they shouldn't be friends any more because they have less in common than when she was 25 and both Hyun-Joo and Sang-Eun say no, they just have to adjust to each other. It's very sweet.

At some point later, both friends and Young-Soo go to the Senior Center to help out. Sang-Eun sings, Young-Soo dances, and Hyun-Joo serves everyone food from her restaurant. It's so cute. Everyone has a great time.

The calm before the storm.

Ahhh another satisfying episode.  :wub: I may have to rethink my guess about JoonHa already having used the watch for that dream date sequence :lol:

YoungSoo is just a barrel of laughs.  His dancing on stage for the old folks :lol:

And that cliffhanger at the end :bawling:

Can someone explain why the man with the watch became young and then walked away and disappeared after the truck passed? The old man was missing at the home and was back there when Hye ja turned up the next day. I don't understand. And why does he hate Joon ha so much? Did Joon ha give him the watch that he picked up, I'm speculating here, the night he was on the roof?

March 6,  2019

JTBC’s “Radiant” Breaks Personal Viewership Ratings Record

Source: Soompi by D. S.kim

JTBCâs âRadiantâ Breaks Personal Viewership Ratings Record

JTBC’s new Monday-Tuesday drama “Radiant” has outperformed itself!

According to Nielsen Korea on March 6, the latest episode of “Radiant” set a new personal record for the highest viewership ratings. The episode, which aired on March 5, achieved an average nationwide viewership of 8.45 percent, which is almost a 3 percent jump from their previous record of 5.8 percent.

By doing so, the drama also achieved the highest viewership ratings among dramas in its time slot. Other dramas that aired in the same time slot include SBS’s “Haechi,” which scored average viewership ratings of 6.6 percent and 7.9 percent for its two episodes, and KBS 2TV’s “My Lawyer, Mr.Joe 2,” which achieved ratings of 5.8 percent and 7 percent. MBC’s “The Item” recorded 3.5 percent and 4 percent.

“Radiant” stars Nam Joo Hyuk and Han Ji Min and tells the story of a woman named Kim Hye Ja (played by both Han Ji Min and Kim Hye Ja), who has the ability to travel through time but ends up trapped in an older version of herself.

Source (1)

The writer maybe could have found a balance in the

appearances of the younger and older HJ.

Both actresses are amazing.

The performance by YS and that girl was fun, especially

his dancing. :D

I liked the song. 

I haven't watched episode 8 yet, but it appears that not too much happened in regards to moving the plot forward.

If I could point out one thing that both young HJ and older HJ have in common, it is the inability to plan.

When the father got into the accident, and HJ went back in time to try and save him. She tried for DAYS, and probably like 100 times, well maybe not a 100, but definitely more than 20. The reason she kept getting the same result is because she failed to plan a better way to save him. If she woke up and just started screaming her head off, that would've gotten her parents attention. If she woke up and called her dad [not sure if he had a cell phone] that would've changed things. But, we, as the viewer had to watch her do the exact same thing over and over and over again and when she finally accepted that she would not get a different result, then she got the bike, but that wasn't enough, but she tried that a ridiculous number of times. To correlate that to her failed attempt at being an announcer, I can't help but think about JH asking her what exactly was she doing to become one. She wasn't doing anything. No plan, nothing. She just submitted a few applications and sat back waiting. That is a field where you either have to know someone or be proactive and get out there and make yourself known. HJ was trapped in a dream that wasn't becoming a reality because she wasn't doing anything to make it happen.

The older HJ spent episode after episode feeling sorry for herself. Then it turned into acceptance and the realization that getting old is this terrible thing that has a few benefits. I know an older lady who is 93 and she gets around better than people half her age. She works out, still drives and is truly living her best life. Aging is also a mentality. Older HJ saw the old man wearing the watch. She could've sat back and planned a way to get it. Instead, she reverted to her younger ways and just erratically thought she could walk over and pry it from him, and this was after he had already pulled a knife on her. This was AFTER she saw his younger self. Once again, no plan and all she did was make herself look like a thief and a crazy woman. In the end, he still had the watch and she was unwelcome at the center.

I would think if the average person suddenly turned like 50 years older, they would have time to sit and think and plan things out. She has to be smart about this, because this is an unusual situation. She is going through this because she failed to plan when she was younger and decided to mess with time and she is failing now for the same reason. If she had succeeded with getting the watch from the old man, then what? What is she planning on doing?

Agreed @nubianlegalmind regarding her inability to plan.  Not everyone has that presence of mind to think rationally or logically in stressful scenarios.  People with that ability are rare.  Which is why in real life hostage situations, the audience watching can go, "Man if I were in that situation I would totally wrestle the gun from his hands.  Nothing to lose".  Yet reality paints a very different picture because very few would?  Which is why when it happens we laud these people as heroes and put them on a pedestal because they are extraordinary.

This drama on the other hand is about ordinary people.  Who really if you look hard enough are quiet heroes in their own right.  Plodding through life with little recognition or affirmation but living as best they can all the same.  The hairdressing Mother who sacrifices for her family.  The dejected Father who is trying so hard to 'be useful' but gets shot down every time (that's gotta be hard for a man's self esteem).  The good for nothing Brother who dreams of being an Internet sensation closing his mind to his family's suffering (I am seeing signs of his character shifting from this so I am looking forward to more development in this space).  Personally I think HyeJa is doing admirably for someone who is suddenly aged.  Her situation is vastly different from the 93yo lady you refer to (she aged naturally, she's 'lived' all those years).  HyeJa's situation for me is more like a young person who's had an accident and suddenly become a paraplegic.  You suddenly have to say goodbye to all those 'dreams' you mapped out for your life.  In that one instant, poof...gone.  There was no adjustment phase (like in normal ageing).  It would've been a lot like her Father with the loss of his limb?  His new reality was suddenly changed dramatically.  To me everyone is just coping with life the best they can.  Even depressed JoonHa.  So to me this drama tugs at my heartstrings not because it's trying to portray life 'as it should be' but 'life as it is'.  When the PD said this drama is there to offer hope.  I think he meant it.  It doesn't give the audience heroes on pedestals to look at and gawk over, it gives us ordinary people slogging through life's challenges and just doing the best they can.  It may not be world changing, news worthy stuff but it is wonderfully ordinary.  Life is lived in the mundane.

16 hours ago, rubie said:

According to Nielsen Korea on March 6, the latest episode of “Radiant” set a new personal record for the highest viewership ratings. The episode, which aired on March 5, achieved an average nationwide viewership of 8.45 percent, which is almost a 3 percent jump from their previous record of 5.8 percent.

Hmm...writer needs to research her facts better. I thought previous record was 6.6 percent?

@rocher22. I liked her songs too!  I must admit initially I found her cutesy voice a little hard to take when she speaks but put it in a song and it's a beautiful fit.  That breathy ethereal wispy feel to it.  :)

I'm very sad to report that NONE of Sang-Eun's singing appears in Viki. They cut all those scenes out.

Copyright issues, I'm assuming. But still very sad!

Here's one I found on youtube:

They also cut the scenes from the girls singing at the norae-bang.

Also not thrilled with how Viki is always a day late uploading this show.

*grumble*

Hello! I wish I had enough time to read all your thoughts on this drama. (-_-) But I really enjoyed reading the recent ones. :)

@nrllee I very much agree with the things you said about the drama. I found some comments in YouTube and Naver that seem to complain so much about how slow the drama's pacing is, and how they seem to dislike it just because they don't see what they expect to see between Joon Ha and the young Hye Ja. Looking at this drama in that kind of POV won't really give them a real appreciation of how this drama is a gem. Thank you for sharing your wonderful insights about The Light In Your Eyes.

Before I share what I intend to share, here's my review on Episode 3, if any of you are interested: https://weheartit.com/articles/327081416-review-the-light-in-your-eyes-episode-3. I still haven't had time to write my review (more like reflections? haha) for Episode 4 and now we're already on Episode 8. ^^

After Kim Hye Ja turned 70 and their family seemed to have lost the spark of joy they had before the accident, I already had my attention on the father's leg. Each time a succeeding episode ends, I still find myself thinking about what caused it and how come it was so hard for him to eat the anchovies that Hye Ja kept offering. I wasn't prepared though for the answer when it came. And it actually broke my heart to know it. But more questions came in as the show moved along. Like how come the old man who has the watch became young and then turned old again? And how come, while he became agitated only when Hye Ja asked about the watch, but he always panics at the sight of Joon Ha?

However, seeing the trailer for Episode 9 seems to help me find an answer to the second question, particularly. I have a theory that the reason why the old man had to use the watch was also the same as Hye Ja's: to save a parent's life. The old man might actually be Lady Chanel's son. This leads me to a partial answer to the first question (thought I'm not really convinced with this): the scene that Hye Ja saw his younger self was a moment in between his attempt to save his mother's life. If this attempt led him to find out who was "responsible" for his mother's death, which points to Joon Ha, then this might be the reason why he gets so agitated whenever he sees him.

Things are getting really unfortunate for Joon Ha. But if this drama promises to bring hope, then it's just proper that it would bring us first to that point of desperation. I'm really eager to find out how things would turn out for the better, in the show's own time.

Thanks for reading. :) 

On 2/28/2019 at 10:36 AM, nrllee said:

I agree @chickfactor.  There is so much to love about this show.  I really like how they showcase the plight of the elderly and their realities.  It's not an effort to guilt the audience into feeling 'sorry' for them (not sympathy) but seeking instead to reveal facts of their day to day challenges to evoke empathy.  And when you empathize you are less likely to be impatient and rude, you are more likely to be kind.  Like your point 1.  On the surface if we had not known how Chanel was treated when buying underwear we would just put her down as being a cranky old lady with no manners.  Understanding where she was coming from softens our view of her so we can act kindly.

And yes to Young-Soo.  I think deep down he is kind.  I like that he behaved no different to HyeJa when she suddenly grew old.  It's like him telling her subconsciously that in his eyes, she is still the same person and he doesn't care that she aged overnight?  If you think about it, he was the ONLY person who didn't relate any different to her when that happened.  He was constant.  He saw her as she really was - his sister (to borrow the phrase they used from Avatar - he 'saw' her).   And when he stood up for HyunJoo when she was being put down by her old bf, he covered it up with the food quip at the end.  I get the feeling he uses humour and acts the fool as a cover for his acts of kindness.  Some people are like that.  They act all gruff and nonchalant but deep down they are actually kind.  And it helps that he provides endless laughter and fun for us watching him to really lighten up the mood of the drama. :lol:

Btw thanks for translating previews and also providing recaps of episodes.  It is much appreciated :heart:

Thank you for saying those kind things about Young Soo, @nrllee. I am a fan of Son Ho Jun and it warms my heart that you appreciate his character. I need not say more since you've already said what I hope to express about Kim Young Soo's role and personality. ^_^

Thanks to @chickfactor too. ^^

I like HJ's girl friend's vocals in the live online scene, along with YS. Her voice resonates brightly and beautifully. She expresses great emotions in the song. It sounds sad and hopeless, but I don't know the meaning of that song. But it can feel:wub:

I am not sure but i also felt that the story pacing has been really slow. Before i was really looking forward to each episode but not so much now. Episodes 7 and 8 is just so slow and not as funny as the previous episodes. I am thankful this drama has only 12 episodes. I hope the last 4 episodes will be as interesting as the first 6 episodes. One great thing is the ratings. I hope it will still increase as it nears the end. I also love sang eun's voice. Her singing in the hjoya exhibit hall with kim young soo dancing is nice:wub: I will still watch until the end. And i will still recommend this drama as it is an eye opener for all of us as we will also get old someday and also on how we treat our oldies especially our parents:D

Archived