[Drama 2019] The Light In Your Eyes, 눈이 부시게

0ly40

Quick recap of 6:

Spoiler

Young-Soo wakes up after his attempt to sleep for 48 hours straight (he failed). Wakes up to find that he got more than 10,000 "star candies" - because of Hye-Ja. That's about $1000.

Young-Soo begs her to appear on his broadcasts again, but she refuses.

Hye-Ja takes her mom to a department store to buy a gift. Mom leaves for a bit. There's a fire alarm and everyone rushes to leave. Hye-Ja gets on the elevator with a bunch of people and the elevator won't move because it is too full and someone has to get off.

Everyone silently stares at Hye-Ja to get off. The implication is that her life is less valuable than others because she is old. It's really cruel. She gets off the elevator. Thankfully it was a false alarm. Hye-Ja finds her mom and they embrace.

Hye-Ja finds another job recording announcements for a local grocery store. They found her after listening to her voice from the egg seller. At first she records her voice, but she later also appears live to sell fish. She uses the reverse psychology technique that she picked up from Joon-Ha. (She also keeps doing that parody of her real-life Dashida ad.) She gets paid in food.

At the grocery store she runs into Chanel who is trying to buy adult underwear (for incontinence) - but Chanel is embarrassed when a store clerk loudly makes a fuss. She also sees Chanel later trying to buy some but doesn't want to carry it home in a see-through bag and the store clerk is a jerk about it.

This show is really making a good effort to show what life is like for an older person, and how younger people can be insensitive towards them.

Hye-Ja later finds Chanel living in a motel called Praha (Prague). She says she stays here because she went to Prague with her late husband for their honeymoon.

Hye-Ja buys Young-Soo a projector, which he wanted. She borrows it to show Chanel a film of Prague and they become friends.

On the Joon-Ha front:

That man who has a crush on Hye-Ja (Hyun) keeps pursuing her. Hyun offers to take Young-Soo to a meat restaurant to bribe him and he accepts BECAUSE OF COURSE HE WOULD.

Anyway, Hye-Ja is able to learn from Hyun about what happened to Joon-Ha. Because Joon-Ha's dad reported him for filing a false police report, he has a criminal record and he can't get a decent job. (The dad is apparently doing this to extort Joon-Ha for the insurance money.)

Hye-Ja goes to visit Chanel and sees Joon-Ha talking to her outside her motel. It looks like in addition to the medicines, he is also scamming money directly from her, lying that he will send it to her son.

The other guy who works at the center (not the owner) sees Joon-Ha at the same time and they get into a fight, but Hye-Ja barely stops Joon-Ha from hitting him.

Joon-Ha yells at her. He says that his parents were trash and so is he. When Hye-Ja keeps telling him to live a better life it bothers him because that keeps reminding him that he is trash. He points to his eyes and says, "Do I look like I am a living person? Is this living?" He tells her to tell "Hye-Ja" that the Joon-Ha she knew is dead.

Hye-Ja returns home and hears her parents fighting. She cries and prays that everything returns back to how it was.

Hye-Ja wakes up the next morning and she has returned to age 25. She is thrilled with her young, healthy body and spends some time rejoicing. She visits Joon-Ha's grandmother who is still alive. Her father is in a good mood like before, and he is not limping. They go to the snack bar together for some noodles.

Hye-Ja sees Joon-Ha and quickly eats her noodles and follows him. She sees him grab a rock to hit himself with. This is the night when he hits himself and accuses his father of hitting him. She holds him back, and he embraces her and cries.

They go on a date the next day. Adorable montage. He buys her flowers. At the end of the day, she asks him to promise to become a reporter. In return, he asks her to be his girlfriend. She is thrilled, but she finds herself fading away. She begins to cry and asks him to hug her. She tells him that she will become old soon, but that he must not forget her.

She wakes up crying. She is still old Hye-Ja. She sits and spaces out until the sun is up. She says that she should have kissed Joon-Ha when she had the chance. (haha)

She decides to fully embrace her life as an older woman. She exercises on her rooftop and agrees to appear in Young-Soo's broadcasts, but she will take 90% of the earnings.

She cheerfully goes to the Senior Center with Chanel. When she gets in the car from the Senior Center, Joon-Ha is driving. He glares at her, but she just smiles.

At the Center, she sees an old man who has a bib on. She helps straighten his bib and sees that he is wearing THAT wristwatch. She looks at it closely and sees that it's ticking.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think is real but she does not know how it works yet.  Below copied from Asianwiki..

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki Staff ©

Kim Hye-Ja (Han Ji-Min) hopes to become an announcer. She is honest and has a positive personality, but she suddenly becomes a 70-year-old woman. 70-year-old Kim Hye-Ja (Kim Hye-Ja) gains the special ability to manipulate time. Lee Joon-Ha (Nam Joo-Hyuk) wants to become a reporter. He has worked hard to achieve his dream, but he now lives his life hopelessly. He gets involved with Kim Hye-Ja.

:)  so happy of the increase viewer.

Btw i laugh so hard of the boogie... ((embarrassed)) something i can totally relate to if you are with someone you like.

Annyeong everyone :)

Ep5 and 6 captured my interest now. I want to watch this drama due to Han Jimin and Nam Joo Hyuk. The first few episodes were slow and bit boring for me but now I like the drama so will be watching till the end.

I have to say this drama really gave me another view of Nam Joo Hyuk's acting. He's getting better and better. Han Jimin is always gorgeous. Love her since Rooftop Prince.

I wonder any of my chingu deul are here or not ~~~ @bebebisous33 @Ahpheng @Mau_Cherry @Kasmic @Hana Budiman @onnififi @plappi @Sarang21 @evie7 @moodypie @nonski @maplekist unable to tag all, mian chingu

One of the things i love about this show is that you can't predict what is going to happen. And things never happen the way that you think they are going to happen. And sometimes you question things in the moment, and then later on you are like "oooooh, this is why that happened!"

Ep. 7 text preview translated:

Spoiler

http://tv.jtbc.joins.com/trailer/pr10010994/pm10051122/vo10281695/view

자신이 버린 시계와 다시 재회하게 된 혜자(김혜자). 게다가 고장 난 줄 알았던 시계가 다시 움직인다는 것을 깨닫고 소스라치게 놀라고... 혜자는 시계로 모든 것을 되돌릴 수 있다는 생각에 시계를 되찾기로 결심한다. 한편, 준하(남주혁)는 문득 혜자에게 혜자(한지민)의 안부를 묻는다. 하지만 자신이 찾는 사람이 눈앞에 있는 것도 모른 채, 준하는 홍보관 분위기를 어수선하게 만드는 혜자에게 더 이상 찾아오지 말아 달라 이야기를 하는데...

Hye-Ja reunites with the wristwatch she threw away. She thought it was broken, but it works, and it shocks her. She becomes determined to get the wristwatch back believing that it will return things to the way they were.

Joon-Ha asks Hye-Ja how "Hye-Ja" is doing. Not realizing that the person he is looking for is right in front of him, he asks Hye-Ja to stop coming to the Public Relations Center, because she keeps causing trouble there...

That was so fun, the way Hye Ja was showing off when she was

explaining to those grandmas what JH looks like. :lol:

She was so happy that he is tall and handsome. :wub:

I like the scenes  between JH and older Hye Ja, they are 

very interesting.

She always does something unexpected and nice.

Hi I just watched all the available episodes in one go! Even the unsubbed one. Lol. I forgot that Nam Joohyuk 's drama started. As a fan of him I failed!! Maybe the too titles confused the heck out of me. I did not like the title Radiant for this drama but this title is better. Also he had an angry burst pointing at his eyes!! The light in Your(His) Eyes, according to him is dead!!

Anyways! Now I want to watch all of the story!! Also I keep holding back my tears...

I think JoonHa is angry HyeJa has ghosted literally and figuratively out of his life. Now he has an allergic reaction to the name HJ who made him happy. I hope we get his perspective on this! All he ever does is get really annoyed with old HJ when she mention's the young HJ!

She has created too many multiple time lines  traveling back in time that her brain has erased some of the memories  created through these timelines. And her prayer to higher power to make it alright showed her this dream that should have come about if she had not altered it.

Also JoonHa singing made old HJ's heart flutter and put stars in her eyes I feel.

Time does not belong to anyone but you have to seize it to make your destiny , seems the drama is saying!

A few random thoughts about 5 & 6:

Upon re-watching, I noticed a few things that I didn't notice during my 1st watch:

(1) This is silly that I didn't notice before, but I finally figured out why Chanel kept refusing to drink water or drinks when anyone offered it to her. She doesn't want to pee. Because she couldn't even buy adult underwear at the market because they kept embarrassing her.

I know that's a small detail, but it's all about these indignities that older people go through that most people never think about. (It was rude of her to knock the water cups off the table, though.)

(2) Another thing I realized is that while the Senior Center people are conning the elderly, they are aware of it, and don't really care. They openly insist on buying those vitamins even if they know it's a con because they are so happy to be there, because they are enjoying themselves.

This is why when Hye-Ja confronted Joon-Ha and threatened to report this place, there was a group of old people outside who overheard and were angry. They don't want this place to go away.

Vitamins are one thing, but the insurance scam seems like a whole another level of crime, which is why Joon-Ha refuses to do it. Looks like he has some standards.

More thoughts:

- I am sure that the show will end with Hye-Ja back in Han Ji-Min's body. But I also love Kim Hye-Ja the actress, and both of them are amazing in this role. I think they'll probably get equal screen time, so Hye-Ja will remain old for at least a few more episodes.

I think it's important to point out that Joon-Ha's problems existed before. Even though he seemed like a happy person with a bright future, he clearly had some major baggage to deal with already, and Hye-Ja's sudden "disappearance" was not the sole cause of his depression.

So my prediction for how the rest of the story will go is - Joon-Ha connects with Old Hye-Ja and they help work out their issues in a non-romantic context. They will achieve the friendship and deep love that two souls can have without the romance.

And then - boom - Han Ji-Min time.

- Hye-Ja's adjustment to her old age is one thing, but I love how subtle they are about how devastating this is for her parents.

I think Young-Soo is really interesting. He seems like such a fool, but you occasionally see a glimmer of depth - maybe they are really just illusions, because he snaps back into idiot-mode before you know it. Anyway, I enjoy him every time he is on screen. So funny.

(I deeply love this show.)

I agree @chickfactor.  There is so much to love about this show.  I really like how they showcase the plight of the elderly and their realities.  It's not an effort to guilt the audience into feeling 'sorry' for them (not sympathy) but seeking instead to reveal facts of their day to day challenges to evoke empathy.  And when you empathize you are less likely to be impatient and rude, you are more likely to be kind.  Like your point 1.  On the surface if we had not known how Chanel was treated when buying underwear we would just put her down as being a cranky old lady with no manners.  Understanding where she was coming from softens our view of her so we can act kindly.

And yes to Young-Soo.  I think deep down he is kind.  I like that he behaved no different to HyeJa when she suddenly grew old.  It's like him telling her subconsciously that in his eyes, she is still the same person and he doesn't care that she aged overnight?  If you think about it, he was the ONLY person who didn't relate any different to her when that happened.  He was constant.  He saw her as she really was - his sister (to borrow the phrase they used from Avatar - he 'saw' her).   And when he stood up for HyunJoo when she was being put down by her old bf, he covered it up with the food quip at the end.  I get the feeling he uses humour and acts the fool as a cover for his acts of kindness.  Some people are like that.  They act all gruff and nonchalant but deep down they are actually kind.  And it helps that he provides endless laughter and fun for us watching him to really lighten up the mood of the drama. :lol:

Btw thanks for translating previews and also providing recaps of episodes.  It is much appreciated :heart:

cuppa.gif A little coffee break before the next episodes..

Everyone is simply amazing in the drama. Nice to see Han Ji Min playing such a pretty & vivacious 'apple of her Appa's eyes' and particularly the lovely 78-year old Kim Hye Ja playing a 25-year old without any doubts whatsoever. As a daughter appearing so much older than her parents.. just so heartbreaking but they are family, no matter what. [happy to see actress Lee Jung Eun, playing the mom -- the ever-so-reliable Haman-daek is back]

On the other hand, it's absolutely hilarious watching Son Ho Jun as the loud yet lovable loser-idiot Kim Young Soo, he's so different from the cool cafe Boss/Barista/Baker King of Coffee Friends currently airing as well. He and Nam Joo Hyuk were in 3 Meals a Day (Gochang, 2016) and they're back together for Coffee Friends in Jeju for the 9th episode (airing this Friday 1/3). NJH was awkward but very likeable when he first appeared in TMAD 3 years ago. Have not seen him enough to comment but clearly no (more) awkwardness here.

Anyway, love & appreciate reading everyone's wonderful input on the drama, it's indeed a different type of time-travel plot with many twists for thoughts. One thing for sure, it's certainly shaping up to be one of 2019 best dramas.

Mentioned in Coffee Friends ep.8, he's called the Coffee Prince in ep.9 preview

ep8_njh.jpg

I'm sorry I never meant to say that JH depresion started only with the disappearance of HyeJa, neither was I talking in absolutes when I mentioned this. I was merely perceiving what may have happened and maybe the catalyst to his depression started with her disappearance. Dearest grandmother died also he is labeled as a person who has forged a lie to convict his father. The only person he could rely on is a scam artist who has helped him and not go too far into the criminal world. Who knows what might have happened if young HJ had sticked around!

Now I wonder about the middle aged man old HJ met in the preview , could it be JH picked up the watch and used it and now he is become a middle aged man!! I better stop with my runaway imagination coz I've watched too many time traveling shows where a lot of possibilities end up coming!

Also I just want to mention the old HyeJa has this girlish charm with a determination to do the right thing! I love that about her! Also this is how I understand why old people give you advice whether you want to hear it or not! lol!

it's been a while. i'm sorry i don't have any comment to this drama anymore, just gonna put my :thumbsup::thumbsup::) you all had already given a very detail and precise/spot on opinion for this drama that i probably couldn't agree more :thumbsup::thumbsup: (sorry too many thumbs up):phew:

finally, i found a slice of life genre in korean drama that is worthy to watch.

a lil' bit off topic: i'm not really a fan of korean drama, probably because they showcase those rich guys/girls with their lifestyle, or misery person with troubled background try to revenge to their rich relatives, or even a total fantasy :sweatingbullets:.

however, nowadays, it seems that korean drama industry is trying to shift the trend and embracing a wide range of viewers by approaching the reality in life, such as a low income family, social issues in their society, white collar worker life, and so on.

though many international viewers that can't seems to understand the concept of this drama, (well many just watching for the leads, and many of them miss the information of the leads too, which is Kim Hye Ja the actress is the main lead) i think this drama will get recognize more through the reviewers and you guys all. Hope many viewers come to this forum and give their opinion whether it's good or bad.

waiting for the next episode is killing me. i wish they give more behind the scene of son ho jun and his siblings (whether it's kim hye ja or han ji min).  :triumph:

18 hours ago, angelbeast90 said:

Now I wonder about the middle aged man old HJ met in the preview , could it be JH picked up the watch and used it and now he is become a middle aged man!! I better stop with my runaway imagination coz I've watched too many time traveling shows where a lot of possibilities end up coming!

i don't think so, since 25 years old Joon Ha is still present/exist (remember at the last scene, he was the driver that pick up the elders)

Archived