[Drama 2018-2019] Top Star Yoo Baek 톱스타 유백이

larus

I have news, good & bad. i'm in contact with a korean fan who is part of the dvd demand survey promotion daum cafe team. bad news is they have no leader to take charge and basically be the contact between tvn and the promotion team to organize and keep them up to date, they need to find a leader. they also had a problem finding a leader when helping with the wrap party.

the good news is TSYB PD did exit interviews, and mentioned season 2's possibility if the actors and crew are willing and if the writers have a good story, since they never planned/expected to do season 2, tvn is open to the idea. Gist of what the PD mentioned: KJS cried a lot after the last filming, he really put his all into it and was a perfectionist, praised JSM for natural acting talent and going without makeup as OKS which isn't easy for an actress, LSY's CMD character was loved as much by viewers as YB was. Even though the ratings weren't great, the positive response from viewers gave them a lot of encouragement. He talked about kiss scenes, he's not into adult kisses, but pure love, so that explains his directing style. The attic kiss, KJS and JSM took charge basically. After the proposal, JSM kicking her shoes off on the sofa was ad-lib. btw some of the staff became a couple, spending a lot of time together on the island was romantic.

sources:

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20190201140005869

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20190201140103931?f=m

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20190201140202957?f=m

you can try papago naver translator, i find it does a better job than google sometimes

https://papago.naver.com/

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Director-nim had an interview (there are 3 articles) and it seems like he wants a Season 2 too? Let's see if this ever happens, I like that it's not totally out of the question! He has high praises for the actors, especially KJS and JSM, so heartwarming to see that they're all close. It was nice that those two had quite a bit of say in their scenes, and looks like they took their ideas and ran with it. One thing though, seems like Director is a fan of 'analog romance' (innocent pure love?) hence we didn't get any particularly steamy kisses. Director-nim, if we get a Season 2 could you please reconsider your thoughts? :lol:

Presenting translations of the day. They're not too bad:

Spoiler

Top star Yoo Baek-yi' PD "Spring 2 Prospects 有 If only the actors and actresses are involved"[EN: Interview1]

Although they failed to achieve enormous performance in terms of viewer ratings, the audience's satisfaction was great. "Top Star Yoo Baek" was also loved as a "healing drama" and achieved a significant performance among its most popular competitors. 

TVN's "Top Star Yoo Baek-i" (played by Lee Shi-eun/played by Kim Ji-seok) is a movie about a "civilistic clash" in which top star Yoo Baek (played by Kim Ji-seok) meets his girlfriend Oh Gang-sun (played by Jeon So-min) on the island of Slow Life. It was aired around 11 p.m. on Friday when the competition was fierce, but it was loved by viewers. The ratings of the two percent (based on the national standard of the Nielsen Korea paid platform), however, the opposite was true of the ratings.

Producer-in-chief Lee Hak-chan, who directed the production of "Top Star Yoo Baek-i," talked to Newsen at his home in Sangam-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul on Sunday. He said, "The hearing rate is too bad. "The ratings people officially evaluate are ratings," he said. "It's not just words, it's a good response." More than the result, the feedback came. She also admitted to TVN. "Even with the ratings of 5 percent, there are still quiet dramas, and I often watch "Top Star Yoo Baek-yi" again," he said with a smile. 

In fact, 'Top Star Yoo-yi' was not a lucky drama. It is a time when MBC's "I Live Alone" has been in full swing for a long time, and JTBC's "SKY Castle" has become a hit. Producer-in-chief Lee Hak-chan, however, was more interested in the audience's desire for Season 2, rather than thinking about the competition. 

I am so happy to be remembered as a drama loved by people. Just the comments on why it's over and why it's good to have a season. I was really worried. I thought actors might feel depressed because viewership is important. I've noticed a lot. Kim Ji-seok cried out as soon as the last shooting was over, and I thought he'd put a lot of effort into it. When people call me after shooting, I think it's a good thing to see them."

In fact, "Top Star" viewers are raising their voices for Season 2. It was a happy ending for the main characters Yoo Baek (played by Kim Ji-seok) and Oh Kang-soon (played by Jeon So-min), but he wants to see more of these "healing dramas." What can be done only when the production staff and actors work together? Was producer Lee thinking about this? 

"It wasn't a drama that I made with the thought of season two," he said. "The viewers are worried about season two. Season 2 for Season 2. It is important to save the points you liked in season 1. I am considering whether I have an idea. "If I and the writers find such things, it's ok for the company," he said. Finding stories with us and writers is a priority. The actors are satisfied. "I want to do whatever form they want unless they abandon me," she added with a smile. 

At the same time, he Because there were viewers who loved "Top Star Yoo-yi," they could make plans for the second season. He said, "It was so helpful. It was good that the comments encouraged me. I wanted to convey my intention of planning well, but I was appalled by your love of that point. It was helpful and rewarding."

Producer-in-chief Lee Hak-chan said, "I hope you can promote it a little more." I think we're seeing each other again. As a viewer, I was touched by the drama. "Top Star Yoo Baek" is also so popular that I hope the actors know how to work. I don't just giggle, laugh, or be moved, but I hope that actors' efforts will shine more as many people get to know."

Spoiler

Yu Baek-chan, producer of the program, said, "All So-min's bare face shooting. I saw a celebrity at the party."[EN: Interview2]

Producer-turned-director Yoo Baek-yi attributed all the credit he received to the actors. Kim Ji-seok, who went on a diet, Jeon So-min, who took photos without makeup on, and Lee Sang-yeop, Kimura's Madori. He showed affection by mentioning the names of the actors. 

"I've proposed a sudden lightning strike today," said producer Yoo Baek-i of TVN's "Top Star" (published by Lee Si-eun (previously known as Lee Sang-am-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul) who met with Newsen at a place in Seoul on January 31. He added a smile to the joke, "I don't even treat you to go." 

Producer and main actors are not very different in age. I heard that the story worked well throughout the shoot. That's why it's so empty. "(Kim) Ji-seok left the troublemaker for a few months, and So-min also played the "running man." The skin condition is important for actors. "It wouldn't have been easy to move back and forth," he said. 

Jeon So-min, who plays the main female character, stood in front of the camera bare-faced for "Top Star Yoo-bak." Since she played the role of an island girl, her skin was not white and her dark makeup was impossible. The decision was made to save the character. "I didn't know much about women's makeup, but I knew the difference during the last performance," said producer Lee Hak-chan. There was someone like Jeon So-min walking in. It was so pretty. "You're an entertainer," she smiled. 

"I didn't think I was considerate that day," he said. My skin was so white when I watched it for the first time. So it was darker. "The most natural and dark side is what I see in "top star Yoo Baek"," he said. "I listened to her as well as well. I could have done an X there." It`s an idea-rich actor. When I was filming a god with a wart, I thought I was born. There is something strange, too, said actor Jeon So-min. 

Then, what about Kim Ji-seok in the set of "Top Star Yoo-yi"? Kim Ji-seok even tried to lose weight in making a body for the film. Producer Kim Ji-seok, who studied abroad, described Kim as a "perfectist." "I was surprised at the first shooting. It's so serious. "I didn't have a word to say because I joined the movie," he said. "I was an actor who hit a lot of fun and had wit. After the last shooting, I came back to Kim Ji-seok. It feels like I finished preparing for the college entrance exam. "I'm back in that mode," she said with a smile. 

There were also stories about Kim Ji-seok's exposure scene. "I thought I was going to make it, but I've made Lee So-ryong's abs," he said. "You don't have to peel it off. Don't you want to? I took it off on purpose. "I didn't know it would be that much," said Bihind. 

Lee even gave Lee the nickname "Kimura Madori." Lee plays Choi Mar-dol, who loves Oh Kang-soon (Jeon So-min). Although he is a male sub-mainstream character, he is not a character hated by viewers at all. The man who is loved as much as Yoo-baek (Kim Ji-seok) is Choi Ma-dol. In the last episode, he drew a romance with Nambo-ra and received a happy ending. 

"Lee Sang-yeop was called 'Kimura Madori.' The melodrama look should be the talk of the town. "It's a bit disappointing," he said. "Please use it. "I'm sorry, Sangyeop," he added, revealing his affection for Lee Sang-yeop and Choi Ma-dol.

Spoiler

"Kim Ji-seok, former So-min kiss scene, cut it too real" [EN: Interview3]

Producer-in-chief Yoo Baek-yi revealed the behind-the-scenes story. From Kim Ji-seok and Jeon So-min's kiss scenes to the staff couple who were born in Daemodo. The behind story was as interesting as the story of the drama. 

After finishing the TVN drama "Top Star Yoo Baek-i" (written by Lee Si-eun/played by Lee Sang-am-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul), the producer of the drama, Lee Hak-chan, met with Newsien at a place in Seoul's Sangam-dong on January 31. Top star Yoo Baek-yi ran an all-location shoot in Daemodo, an hour away from Wando. That's why there are so many memories and episodes. Producer-in-chief Lee Hak-chan recalled what happened in Daemodo on the day. 

How did Daemodo become the next most urgent choice for top star Yoo Baek-i? "There are many beautiful areas, but there are many modern ones," said producer Lee Hak-chan. There's an island that I gave up because it didn't match our synopsis concept. The shooting itself was impossible because there were places like analog and old villages. "I was looking for an island that would be a compromise, and that's exactly how it felt," she said. "It's been about a year since we did our research and shoot, but now I have asphalt." If the shooting had been delayed by one year, it would not have been a place to meet. 

After a long time shooting in Daemodo, there were many difficulties. Both eating and sleeping were different from usual places. Of course, there are couples who are created by such circumstances. "It was difficult for me to sleep outside of bed," said producer Lee Hak-chan. But I love young men and women because they have been together for a long time. Even if you don't want to see it, you have to watch it. We have to eat together. "It is an island where there was romance," she said with a smile. 

The love between Yoo-baek (played by Kim Ji-seok) and Oh Kang-soon (played by Jeon So-min) in "Top Star Yoo-baek" was also born there. Therefore, their romance is naturally depicted in Daemodo. According to Kim Ji-seok, he also tried to capture the beautiful scenery and kiss scenes of Daemodo with the staff. When asked about this, the producer of the program said, "Direction was nothing but a camera walk." 

"(Kim) Ji-seok and (Jeon) So-min all came up with the idea. There are many scenes like adult kisses and adult melodies. I don't really like that kind of kiss scene. Especially, the scene that I filmed in Haneul Park is a scene that confirms love to each other, but I wanted to revive analog romance. I wanted to talk about pure love. The actual shooting is more realistic."

"In the attic, when should I cut ?" said producer Kim Ji-seok. It didn't hang up. "They did it all," he said. "There is a god who goes to the sofa after receiving a proposal at the last meeting. At that time, So-min threw his shoes at the ad-lib. "The back was more fun, but I cut it off for an analog romance," he said, adding, "I was curious. 

Last but not least, producer of the program, Yoo Baek-i, announced his future plans. She has produced not only dramas such as "Reply 1988" and "Ahn-soo Boy," but also entertainment programs such as "Candy in My Ear" and "Albatross." He said, "I'm a hard worker. Now, I want to play "Top Star Yoo-bak" season 2. There are always many things I want to do. 

He added, "The reason why TVN gives young producers opportunities is that it can create a resolution drama that the production team of ordinary dramas can't do." Shin Won-ho, the producer of the "Reply Me" series, also challenged him in other ways. Young TVN producers make unusual preparations. It pushes performance manager's headquarters is Lee Myung Han, if I can't. This year and next year. "We can even go bankrupt," he said. "We have increased expectations by announcing other new contents. 

Edit to add: @topstarubdvd Thanks for all your effort! I added the translations here and just saw your post.

As an international fan, I wish I could somehow contribute to their ratings to make them feel better! It seems there are a lot of dramas (esp Rom coms) that don't get high ratings but are beloved by int'l viewers. I hope they know how much we love TSYB! Season 2 would be fantabulous. I think their biggest obstacle would be with plot. I've been trying to think of a good plot for a season 2 but so far haven't come up with much. My problem is I'd be happy just to watch them together no matter what they were doing haha. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe we could somehow pass it onto the writers to encourage them :D

Well... to think about top star yoobaek, 

the plot and twist will be hard to think about but there are things we would like to see that will come to contribute to build a plot.... click hidden content to see the list of things that could be possible for Yoobaek 2. 

Spoiler

- memories of Soon-baek wedding- chaotic and clash of cultures and worlds. 

- yoobaek's reconciliation with his mom-- possible a twist or funny twist will come around like how grandma misunderstood yoobaek's eunuch prolbem. 

- identity of mystery cupid- why is he part of the story. I still could not connect him to the moral aspects of the whole story. It is still a mystery. I analysed several times but i still wonder the link of this cupid. 

- Madol- Dr Hae-won's dating- I was thinking that Madol may hit another obstacle that he may not get approval of her parents or Hae won got accepted to grad school for medicine. She had to figure out whether she can stay with Madol or leave to pursue her studies. Madol will face obstacle whether to follow her or wait for her behind. They may break up briefly. Madol will go series of weird blind dates or funny dates like how they set up a guy with Kangsoon and Haewon. Fishes of the sea- to relate Madol's gentleman-like aura to attract many wonderful yet weird fishes of the sea. It will be interesting and funny to meet different women he would set up with. But Haewon and Madol shared very strong attraction. The thing is that, they are entirely different people. Madol is more like Kangsoon while Haewon is like Yoobaek-- she is neurosurgeon. Madol will think about advancing his career. It will take a while for him to figure his path with her. It will be interesting plot for them. To have Yoobaek and Kangsoon involved, it will be setting up hilarious string of blind dates competing with Madol's  mom. However, Yoobaek may give advice to Madol, and it would go hilariously wrong (dating eunuch). Kangsoon will be the one to correct or balance it. Madol is still inexperienced. I would love to see funny bromance between Yoobaek and Madol. 

- Kangsoon wanted to have family- however she had to hold back or have infertility problem. That will give setbacks and it would be her journey to overcome it with Yoobaek and Island's love. A lot of women in society are suffering from that. It would give example for another healing journey for Kangsoon to face as a married woman. It also give challenge to men like Yoobaek to deal with it too. 

- Grandma will learn more about Yoobaek through his mother. She will help to heal both Yoobaek and his mom too. In return, it could heal her pain and trauma for losing her son and daughter in law in the sea. However, she gains not only Kangsoon, also a grandson in law, and his mom. It would be such a meaningful meeting between them to understand and heal each other. I would love to see grandma cooking all kinds of food for yoobaek when she visits him in Seoul. Especially the return of scrambled eggs! 

- I would love to see more lovey dovey kisses and bickering between our beloved Soon-Baek couple. =) 

Jiseok is very kind and affectionate guy. He is very very very considerate of Somin in his interview. He denied the dating rumour with somin out of consideration whether they are dating someone else or not. They are not there to talk about their dating news. They want people to focus on their drama not their personal life. However,  his emotions and interactions with Somin tells me how he felt comfortable around her without realising that he could have a lot of interest in her. He is working on separating himself from Yoobaek and Somin from Kangsoon. It is quite too early for us shippers. =) 

I really hope we are able to resolve with leadership for DVD survey. They said the comments by netizens will make a big difference. So any of you have Korean friends-- give them heads up to send them comments as possible. =) I hope for the best!

Analog Romance-- pure love-- cutting off most of the kisses-- I would throw potatoes too. That is probably reason why the ratings were low. Viewers are not really that innocent. Haha. I saw that viewership went up when Jiseok and Somin kiss. The first two was a bait. Then small peck. And whole another long angst. Kangsoon's rejection on Yoobaek. It started to tire out the viewers to wait until episode 9 for the beautiful kiss but to be blocked by sunlight. I was like really trying to feel the heart fluttering kiss. It was so good but there comes sunlight-- oh dear. The BTS shows better view of their deep kiss. It was so good! Oh dear. It gets better in episode 10 but it was brutal one week wait. We don't even know whether they would kiss. And it was a surprise! Then episode 11-- viewers know and want to see pure love and kisses of Soon-baek coupele. It is kind of rushed to cram everything in one episode. I hope to see the proposal kiss longer. They cut it too short. The thing is that, they would have been voted for best kiss at least despite low ratings. 

Somin and Jiseok did a great job to build the chemistry to fulfil what the director wants, so much for cutting kissing scenes to make it more like pure love. I think it is mixed up with the idea of pure love versus true love. They did an amazing job. Viewers can feel it even though they kept on giving us kiss baits! =) 

So much hope for Yoobaek 2. However, I would rather to see Jiseok and Somin in another drama where they have director who does not cut off or ask them to tone down their long kiss scenes!!! haha. 

Jiseok mentioned that he and Somin had to balance the intensity of kiss versus what the director ask them to do. You can really tell the sky park kiss, proposal kiss, and attic kiss-- is more of them two. The director choose the angle (mostly showing their backs), covered with window and went outside. Hehe. However, the kisses are intense despite what the director really ask for. I wish the director would give us better angle. But it is all shooting at their backs mostly. Jiseok and Somin had to use a lot of hand movements while we tried to look at their kisses. We saw good grasp of their kiss. It is really good but could have been better if we can see more of it. =) 

I am not that keen on another season. Actually, I am more curious about their next projects. TSYB, though with low ratings, seems to be loved by its audience and I think it must have helped them to strengthen their position. All the actors could portray a different side of them. OKS's satoori, humour and the effort she took to portray the character such as not holding back in anything will benefit her I think. I hope the leads will get a variety of projects now. I think Somin does two dramas per year though this may depend on the project available to her. The shooting was really hard and I think she is going to appear on the second season of Michuri also so her break could be a little longer. KJS, JSM and LSY are all talented actors and I really hope that they will get the deserved attention and fame.

On 1/29/2019 at 4:51 AM, Christina Leong said:

I am so happy that you felt the same way I did. I was dying here too. Wah!!!

I love love love Jiseok-Somin pair and their chemistry. I cannot cannot cannot believe that they no longer have any more episodes. Made me so sad. Season two will be wonderful but I wish they could ADD more episodes-- More about yoobaek's reconciliation with his mom along with Grandma and Kangsoon. I wanted to see the wedding of Yoobaek and Kangsoon to see them falling in love even more than ever. I wanted to see how Yoobaek respects Kangsoon and loves everything about her. I love how they bicker. I love how Kangsoon loves Yoobaek for who he really is, and she is making him realise it. 

Yoobaek's journey is very close to my heart. I have struggled a lot with my deafness and moving all over the place. I have a lot of emotional instability dealing with situation. It took me a long time to heal myself because of what happened in the past. That is why it is a very special drama. When he talked and acknowledged people from the village, it is a powerful and heartfelt message. The whole drama focus on inner soul, not outer image. 

The beginning of drama talked about the viewer point of view. It was very difficult to watch. Jiseok did a great job to embody the great exaggeration of narcissism behaviour. It is we see others around us especially celebrities or anyone under spotlight. Jiseok did a great job of portraying in that point of view. He is such a fine fine fine and great actor. They continue his behaviour from Seoul to the Island. He still continue to behave the same way but what is big difference is how the island people see him for the first time. They started to see his rude behaviour but they always see through it. They look at his strengths: his looks and what he wears. His personality is more like oddity or out of the world to them. Island people don't really judge but they tend to meddle other people's business. 

Madol is a very interesting character. He is perfect in the beginning and even more perfect in the end. In between, his flaw started to show. It was not very flattering of him trying to force on Kingston's feelings to manipulate to his own to make her believe rather than realise about love. Madol also have very pure heart. He just too naive. He saw Yoobaek crestfallen face when he thought they were getting married. In that way, Madol realised the true love. Yoobaek and Kangsoon showed their pain of being apart and making decision to make others happy. Madol decided to save Kangsoon by letting her go to save Yoobaek. Because if Yoobaek dies, Kangsoon's world will be crushed. She would never ever know how to love again, even towards Madol. She will give up marriage and become spinster. He realised that Yoobaek is her other half. He felt the pains of her cries at the sea looking for the man she loves. Namjoo was instrumental part of helping Madol to make a decision. He didn't know Yoobaek too well until he heard the truth. He started to see Yoobaek a new light. In return, Yoobaek took Madol as an example of a great gentleman when Madol told them not to mind him and he approves of their relationship. He is willing to be friends with Yoobaek for Kangsoon's sake. It sent Madol free from unrequited love. His heart is free already and when he met the doctor, his heart was so free to find his true love and true happiness. Kangsoon doesn't deserve Madol. He doesn't deserve to have someone who is forced to love him even though he confessed to her. 

I love the healing journey Kangsoon and Yoobaek which covered the last two episodes. I felt it is too rushed. It is the best part of the drama. I love the part when Kangsoon held Yoobaek's hands to comfort him from the pain in the past that cause him to become so angry and sad. She said something that is true about yoobaek all along. He is a great person even from the beginning. She respects him even more and falling in love with him even more. Their primitive attraction is amazing icing to a cake. It was so far the most romantic couple I have ever loved. 

I really love the chemistry of two great and tender souls of Kim Jiseok and Jeon Somin. Jiseok is a great actor with great sense of humour and warm heart. He is so outgoing and so affectionate. He is so bright and talkative. He is really smart. He called himself psycho but cute. And I felt that he met his match or female version of him; Jeon Somin. Somin's personality was shown in Running man. She was so bright, brave, and funny. She is very witty and very poetic. She loves arts, poem, and creative stuff. She is even crazy. Running man consider her as their show's psycho. She has warm and affectionate  personality and demeanour. You can see that how she treated Kwangsoo. She is so warm and so sweet. She loves to talk. I was like, what it would be like to have them together as a couple. They nailed it on and off screen in top star yoobaek. Their chemistry makes them great partners. I really like to see them together again in future dramas or variety together. I love top Star Yoobaek because of them, and the healing journey that is very close to my heart. I hope they will extend the drama. Season two is a must. 

I will comment on Madol's determination to first marry Kangsoon. I felt that he was being a bigger person by letting her go. As I think I've said, I thought he was extremely selfish by forcing KS to marry him and tying her down. But I think him slowly recognizing that "if you love something, let it go" was the true philosophy from his side of the story-and I think it's not portrayed in a lot of dramas today. 

I agree that the last two episodes felt super rushed and I didn't like it that it was in rapid speed. I hope that if season 2 does come (please do...) that it provides more than just a fast forward of what entirely happened in the time period that we missed.

And I agree that everyone played the fantastically well, I was absorbed in the drama for a good few days (actually still under withdrawal). I haven't brought myself to watch the special episode or any BTS yet but I'll get there... 

I personally love your insight by the way! I agree that I found the narcissism quite funny when the islanders keep pushing it aside and ask him to sit down and eat, totally ignoring his looks of disgust in some ways. I will say that I enjoyed YB's storyline quite a lot and the character development has been A CHANGE, to say the least. 

59 minutes ago, akiera said:

I am not that keen on another season. Actually, I am more curious about their next projects. TSYB, though with low ratings, seems to be loved by its audience and I think it must have helped them to strengthen their position. All the actors could portray a different side of them. OKS's satoori, humour and the effort she took to portray the character such as not holding back in anything will benefit her I think. I hope the leads will get a variety of projects now. I think Somin does two dramas per year though this may depend on the project available to her. The shooting was really hard and I think she is going to appear on the second season of Michuri also so her break could be a little longer. KJS, JSM and LSY are all talented actors and I really hope that they will get the deserved attention and fame.

The thing is that, despite tough shooting between the island and the city according to their schedule, I think they may have another way to handle the shooting schedule. They may spend little time in Island and more time in Seoul for shooting since Kangsoon has moved on to city to pursue her studies. I heard after the ending of the shooting, the island will begin to do renovation and development. SO if they have season two, the accommodation will be readily available. Season 2 will be a challenge due to location and weather. A budget posed a problem too since they have to provide travel and accommodation for whole team, casts, and staffs.  

However you mention about being curious about their next projects, I was more interested seeing them working again together in the future. They have the best and great combination in terms of chemistry and acting. They have very similar persona when it comes to comedy, drama, romance, and even variety. I am very curious to see them in variety together. They have same persona, and I felt it would be chaotic, fun, and funny. 

I believe the low ratings does not reflect their drama quality. It has to do with time slot and severe competition. The thing is that, even though there is competition, they did well in rerun and viewing online. 

The budget, location, and long distance travel were taking toll on them, and shortening the number of episodes. However, it is very good quality drama with best acting, chemistry, and plot. The drama has a lot of meaningful message: 

Yoobaek- overcoming his trauma- through love and truth about him have set him free

Kangsoon- overcome her fear to step out of comfort zone to become a woman she wants to become. 

Madol- to be free from unrequited love- his actions and wisdom have made him a better man but happier than ever when he met his true love. 

I would like to see more in Season two- to provide us more development on their growth. I am looking forward to see continuation of Jiseok and Somin's chemistry, Kangsoon becoming Seoul woman, Madol's growing relationship with Haewon, Yoobaek's reconciliation with his mom, and many more. The first one is Island life and the second one could be about life in Seoul. It will pose a lot of challenge for Kangsoon to provide a plot or twist. 

Some netizens and I like how the drama make it like a healing journey, and growth of character. A lot of comments said that this drama gave them sense of healing. It is rare kind to find in any other drama. 

The thing is that, the last two episodes is too much to crammed and rushed. We would like to extend little more to give us breather and glimpse of Kangsoon's experience in Seoul and Yoobaek's protectiveness over her in a strange world. 

Somin will continue to shoot with Running Man. I think she will agree with one drama offer and others will be mostly running man and small projects. She seems to be picky to do a big project. She dropped several offers. Jiseok will continue with Problematic Man. I think he will accept more offers since he showed a lot of great acting in top star yoobaek. I think he may get movie offer. I don't know it will be another male lead. He will be like second lead again to take a break. It is a lot of work to be first lead. In top Star, he had to a lot of work to make it more visible pleasing to bring popularity. He worked so hard. 

I actually like the the quality of Top Star Yoobaek. It has so many meaningful message behind it. And i really enjoyed Jiseok and Somin chemistry. They have so much to give. Even though they may not have season two, I would love to see them work together again or star their variety as guests. 

The huge part of the drama is the chemistry of Jiseok and Somin. They showed all acting skills from comedy to romance to drama. They are realistic, fun to watch, and lovely. 

3 hours ago, Christina Leong said:

The thing is that, despite tough shooting between the island and the city according to their schedule, I think they may have another way to handle the shooting schedule. They may spend little time in Island and more time in Seoul for shooting since Kangsoon has moved on to city to pursue her studies. I heard after the ending of the shooting, the island will begin to do renovation and development. SO if they have season two, the accommodation will be readily available. Season 2 will be a challenge due to location and weather. A budget posed a problem too since they have to provide travel and accommodation for whole team, casts, and staffs.  

However you mention about being curious about their next projects, I was more interested seeing them working again together in the future. They have the best and great combination in terms of chemistry and acting. They have very similar persona when it comes to comedy, drama, romance, and even variety. I am very curious to see them in variety together. They have same persona, and I felt it would be chaotic, fun, and funny. 

I believe the low ratings does not reflect their drama quality. It has to do with time slot and severe competition. The thing is that, even though there is competition, they did well in rerun and viewing online. 

The budget, location, and long distance travel were taking toll on them, and shortening the number of episodes. However, it is very good quality drama with best acting, chemistry, and plot. The drama has a lot of meaningful message: 

Yoobaek- overcoming his trauma- through love and truth about him have set him free

Kangsoon- overcome her fear to step out of comfort zone to become a woman she wants to become. 

Madol- to be free from unrequited love- his actions and wisdom have made him a better man but happier than ever when he met his true love. 

I would like to see more in Season two- to provide us more development on their growth. I am looking forward to see continuation of Jiseok and Somin's chemistry, Kangsoon becoming Seoul woman, Madol's growing relationship with Haewon, Yoobaek's reconciliation with his mom, and many more. The first one is Island life and the second one could be about life in Seoul. It will pose a lot of challenge for Kangsoon to provide a plot or twist. 

Some netizens and I like how the drama make it like a healing journey, and growth of character. A lot of comments said that this drama gave them sense of healing. It is rare kind to find in any other drama. 

The thing is that, the last two episodes is too much to crammed and rushed. We would like to extend little more to give us breather and glimpse of Kangsoon's experience in Seoul and Yoobaek's protectiveness over her in a strange world. 

Somin will continue to shoot with Running Man. I think she will agree with one drama offer and others will be mostly running man and small projects. She seems to be picky to do a big project. She dropped several offers. Jiseok will continue with Problematic Man. I think he will accept more offers since he showed a lot of great acting in top star yoobaek. I think he may get movie offer. I don't know it will be another male lead. He will be like second lead again to take a break. It is a lot of work to be first lead. In top Star, he had to a lot of work to make it more visible pleasing to bring popularity. He worked so hard. 

I actually like the the quality of Top Star Yoobaek. It has so many meaningful message behind it. And i really enjoyed Jiseok and Somin chemistry. They have so much to give. Even though they may not have season two, I would love to see them work together again or star their variety as guests. 

The huge part of the drama is the chemistry of Jiseok and Somin. They showed all acting skills from comedy to romance to drama. They are realistic, fun to watch, and lovely. 

Just to build off this post but does anyone know where this "island" is? I'm just curious as to its location.

And it was healing for me as well. It had no evil villains and it was sort of the first time when I didn't have to think about who the "bad person" was. It was an enjoyable piece that I thoroughly enjoyed watching when I was under a lot of stress at the time of broadcast, so I was very grateful to have found a work that I liked watching so much.

5 hours ago, triplem said:

No to KJS taking a 2nd lead role ...:D . The guy has done his time with enough dramas of him not getting the girl . He needs to ride the wave of his popularity since Another Miss Oh & his MBC wins . He’s already 38 & has got plus minus 3-4 more years to be at the prime of his career.

Jiseok has a lot of passion for acting. He has to be full integrated into their role and be in their role. He also have to worry about physical appearance and mannerism. Jiseok to me, seems to enjoy as method actor. He seems to enjoy acting on realism. Since Top Star Yoo Baek is a comedy rom com, he made exaggeration of it. He was totally into extreme narcissism- how the viewers look at him. It is easily to judge others. Instead of hating him, we just find hard to watch him going through that kind of mannerism. it looks so real, and it is what we see people outside. We tend to forget the matters of inner soul. Then later on, it comes from his point of view. His acting changed-- to show more emotion as we entered his world of private pain. Our perspective of him also changed. It brings us to his eyes, heart, and soul as we were carried into his journey. 

Jiseok in a way, seem not to mind second lead role. It is better than other small roles. I believe it depends on a project quality. He gives 100 percent to his acting skills. It is hard to pick a right project just for you. Jiseok may have been well aware to pick a very difficult project with Top Star Yoobaek. It asked for more method acting on narcissism and trauma. It is a lot of work on physical appearance, acting on emotions, and stress as male lead for ratings. He felt so responsible for low ratings. He cried at the end with mixed feelings. He had worked so hard with everyone, and felt that he led everyone down as male lead. It is a beautiful drama and it is so much better with him in it especially with Somin. It is actually a good drama despite low ratings. He enjoyed working with quality actors and team. They all worked so hard for him. Everyone works hard for main lead. It is a tremendous pressure. If you are second lead, you tend to do what you can do it and make it work. I believe he wanted to take a break from that for awhile until he finds good project he would like to act in main lead one day. Top Star Yoobaek seems to taken to his heart. 

He is famous for second lead not because he is not popular. Second lead ask for more acting skills to challenge the main lead. It is easier to act as a villain than to be protagonist. He doesn't seem to like to be heroic all the time. He chose a lot of anti hero characters. Yoobaek is anti hero- he is narcissistic top star but has flaws. At the end, it shows more humane but more heartfelt grounded yoobaek with heart of gold. Jiseok is famous for bring warmth to his second lead because of how he put his work 100 percent. Oh Hae Young- one of his best character acting to show off his comedic acting. But the chemistry with his love interest has a lot of mix feelings. It has no chemistry but it is a lot of comedy. I really enjoy his interactions with his love interest. They work well together but their chemistry is not as good as the leads. But they stand out. It depends on projects he chose, and he will work 100 percent in it. I think Jiseok wanted to take a break from main lead because it takes a lot of work physically, mentally, and well being. It is a lot of pressure. 

20th century girl and boy-- it shows more of character acting- because he created such a sweet character with sense of love and longing. It is a nice drama over all. He shows a lot of romantic gestures there. It is like watching real Jiseok on his dating life. It is very warm but quite common. He stands out a lot for being sweet and affectionate. He is great in it but I do think he wanted to do more. 

However, after Top Star, his sight will set higher for bigger but good drama or movie projects. Actors have to keep moving forward to pick up the project to make a living. So second lead or main lead or any small projects unless it is good and potential for him to put his work towards to. Something he could act. He may want to take a break from romance and take action movies or etc. Sometimes he needs a change. 

Somin, in other hand, seems to choose mostly romantic drama. Top Star is her first rom com. One percent of anything is more of romance. Not so much of a comedy. It has some comedic scenes. But it is more of light hearted romance. I think Somin found comedy as her forte because of Running Man. Acting in Top Star confirms it. She has ability to create chemistry with anyone. I like her with Jiseok because they are similar. Their potentials shines more brightly together. Somin is more of character actor but with Jiseok, she has immersed into method acting as Kangsoon- she did both character and method acting to build Kangsoon's charms. Somin has innate talent to build charms, but with Jiseok, her acting became more refined and more method like when she had immerse into a role as country girl with manly mannerisms. Their aura seems to be same. Somin tries to work around Jiseok's acting, and she did amazing job on it. That is what Somin's famous for in Running Man. She creates chemistry with Kwangsoo, Jaesuk, Haha, and Jong Kook. She creates different chemistry depending on each person. She has love and sisterly chemistry with Kwangsoo, challenged Jaesuk so many times, being cute with HaHa, and being master of skits with Jong Kook. With Jiseok, Somin met her male version of her. 

My dear islander chingus.... Due to some stuff in RL, I've only had the chance to catch up and finish the drama today. And I love it!

I'm glad they keep the funnies till the very last minute.

I laughed so hard during the toilet scene of doc and teach. And then I literally got goosebumps when our OTP finally kissed in OKS's attic room after they have to hold back because of her principle to take it slow, lol.... That kiss was full of passion, but not the lustful kind, but the gentle passionate kind.... *goosebumps* :D

I'm glad that MaDol oppa met his girl also.

I kinda like the fast forward by month thing. So glad it's not that kind of time jump to one year later, but we get to see whatever each of them were doing during those days.

I haven't had the chance to back read on the posts here, so I know for sure I'm missing a lot of giggles and laughs with you all.... Will just have to catch up asap.... I'm just so glad we get to watch such a fun drama!

I haven't seen this yet? YSH I've failed you!!!!!!!!

Me right now:

Image result for funny black people crying gif

"I'm so sorry!"credit to owner! gif not mine!

Here is YSH:

Image result for yoo seung ho i am a robot gifs

(I am not a robot) credit to owner! gif not mine!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm sorry just ignore me. 

What do ya'll think of the drama? Did you like it? Thoughts"?

1 hour ago, triplem said:

But if you are looking for a fun, fresh & “healing” drama with all round good acting & great chemistry btwn the leads , you should check out TOP star Yoo Baek 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Top Star Yoo Baek :). I will definitely try to check it out :) 

Edit: You're right. I posted on the wrong thread! Thank you for giving me the right thread :) 

Kim JiSeok is mentioned on next episode of Running Man, they asked Jeon SoMin to choose between KJS & Gong Myeong i guess, her answer is surprising and gonna be on the broadcast hopefully, as sometimes stuff mentioned in news articles gets cut from the episode. Knowing JSM, I guess she friend-zoned KJS and chose GM. Used Papago Translator, but it's still confusing lol. 

https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003946781

7 hours ago, topstarubdvd said:

Kim JiSeok is mentioned on next episode of Running Man, they asked Jeon SoMin to choose between KJS & Gong Myeong i guess, her answer is surprising and gonna be on the broadcast hopefully, as sometimes stuff mentioned in news articles gets cut from the episode. Knowing JSM, I guess she friend-zoned KJS and chose GM. Used Papago Translator, but it's still confusing lol. 

Your prediction is right. However, somin is making jiseok question her or call her. If she chose the latter, jiseok will call her why she is so ruthless again! First choosing madol and now Someone else beside jiseok! Somin is being weird. She has all the schemes inside. It kind of drove jiseok crazy. Hehe 

19 hours ago, topstarubdvd said:

There'll probably be subbed video of this out soon, but I'll describe it here. It was a cute scene. They were playing a game, and everyone had to talk about a time when their heart fluttered at work.

Jeon Somin said that most recently her heart fluttered around Gong Myoung and Kim JiSeok. They were her own picks. They asked her to make a choice between GM and KJS. She said it was difficult to pick, because GM is too adorable and KJS is "sexy" style. Then she asked the PD when this episode of RM would be broadcast (February 3rd). When she heard that, she picked GM right away lol. Her answer was, at least in part, a joke/punchline that Top Star Yoo Baek is over.

p.s. Hi Everyone. I lurked the whole season, and enjoyed this drama + all your posts.

p.p.s. I almost forgot. They asked her about Lee Sang Yeob, since he was in the drama too. Somin said that he didn't make her heart flutter. That they're family.

15 minutes ago, triplem said:

Here you go .. my regret is that Soompi hardly gave coverage for this drama while airing but these things they bring up-_-

The article is cute. By the way, it would be nice if you make comments on it. The comments are awful there calling her fake. It would be nice if you could make comment to watch the drama or commenting about her choices. 

3 minutes ago, heyyoooo said:

I love how they are officially friendzoning each other immediately after the drama ended. Lol. 

I guess that’s to stop any rumours and shipping wars and what-not on the internet. Sometimes these things can get out of hand. But I wouldn’t mind watching them in another drama together again!

Archived