[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Royal Nirvana 鹤唳华亭

sugarplum892

25 minutes ago, tulip06 said:

It’s on YouTube!

I've looked and looked, they don't have the subs (even when I realised a while ago I had to actually switch them on myself....)! I don't know if it's a question of country... The same for Luo Jin's  "Behind the scenes". 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PPB said:

I've looked and looked, they don't have the subs (even when I realised a while ago I had to actually switch them on myself....)! I don't know if it's a question of country... The same for Luo Jin's  "Behind the scenes". 

Hi @PPB  - if you use the "Search" function on YouTube, type in "I Will Find You a Better Home ep 1 eng sub", it should pull up Ep 1 with the English subtitles (even though it doesn't say "ENG SUB" in the title header.  Once you play the 1st episode with English subtitles, it will continue to play the subsequent episodes with English sub titles.  I noticed there are many variation of each show on YouTube, with various subtitles (English, Indonesian, Portuguese, etc), the more specific you get in the Search, the better your results.  Make sure the "CC"  function is turned on in your TV as well (TV Setting), in addition to YouTube.

Try that and see if it works.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 3:30 PM, tulip06 said:

It’s good, but the ending episodes frustrated me. Very unrealistic and to be honest, after everything I saw our heroine go through, not what I wanted for her. I felt kind of betrayed. 

@tulip06  I was ok with the ending.  You're right though, they rushed the ending a bit and the ending is not as complete as it could've been.  There's definitely a bit more story to tell to properly wrap things up.  But I did hear there's a Season 2, so I hope that's true.  The actor who played Mr Kai (the chestnut king) was interviewed and he said he's been cast for the same character in Season 2.  If it is true, I hope we don't have to wait too long before we see it on YouTube.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sunch said:

Hi @PPB  - if you use the "Search" function on YouTube, type in "I Will Find You a Better Home ep 1 eng sub", it should pull up Ep 1 with the English subtitles (even though it doesn't say "ENG SUB" in the title header.  Once you play the 1st episode with English subtitles, it will continue to play the subsequent episodes with English sub titles.  I noticed there are many variation of each show on YouTube, with various subtitles (English, Indonesian, Portuguese, etc), the more specific you get in the Search, the better your results.  Make sure the "CC"  function is turned on in your TV as well (TV Setting), in addition to YouTube.

Try that and see if it works.

@tulip06 thank you for your explanation, you're really kind. I had tried the search button before, I think it was the same fo Royal Nirvana, I could not find the captions, and indeed saw the capping ceremony ep without subs (was very intrigued by it) but later they somehow appeared.

Now..... I managed finally to get the English subs for An Jia, so maybe I had not looked properly, so thank you for that reminder. However, I could not find them for "Behind the scenes". I really don't know why. I did a search, only one came up (often different uploads come up as you know), and the captions are only in Chinese, in addition to the Chinese ones they always include anyway. You can turn the Chinese captions off, but there is no choice for English, or any other language. I'm hoping eventually they will, as I'm curious about that show too. 

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, PPB said:

@tulip06 thank you for your explanation, you're really kind. I had tried the search button before, I think it was the same fo Royal Nirvana, I could not find the captions, and indeed saw the capping ceremony ep without subs (was very intrigued by it) but later they somehow appeared.

Now..... I managed finally to get the English subs for An Jia, so maybe I had not looked properly, so thank you for that reminder. However, I could not find them for "Behind the scenes". I really don't know why. I did a search, only one came up (often different uploads come up as you know), and the captions are only in Chinese, in addition to the Chinese ones they always include anyway. You can turn the Chinese captions off, but there is no choice for English, or any other language. I'm hoping eventually they will, as I'm curious about that show too. 

@PBB Hurray!  You found it!  I'm also happy to hear there's eng subtitles for Royal Nirvana now.  I had to watch it without it, so I'm sure I missed a lot.  Now I can go back and watch it again :D

As for the Behind the Scenes, it's my understanding that english subtitles have to be written by a team/someone.  They get paid $1.00-$3.00 per video per minute.  So while a team/someone will write the subtitles for shows with multiple episodes, it's probably not worth the time to write them for the short behind the scenes clips.  They won't make much for writing subtitles for short clips.  At least that's my assumption.  

I'm glad you were able to find An Jia :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sunch said:

@PBB Hurray!  You found it!  I'm also happy to hear there's eng subtitles for Royal Nirvana now.  I had to watch it without it, so I'm sure I missed a lot.  Now I can go back and watch it again :D

As for the Behind the Scenes, it's my understanding that english subtitles have to be written by a team/someone.  They get paid $1.00-$3.00 per video per minute.  So while a team/someone will write the subtitles for shows with multiple episodes, it's probably not worth the time to write them for the short behind the scenes clips.  They won't make much for writing subtitles for short clips.  At least that's my assumption.  

I'm glad you were able to find An Jia :)

Thanks @Sunch , I'm looking forward to watching it and letting you know what I think of it! I cannot, just cannot believe you watched Royal Nirvana without subs (unless you speak Chinese fluently of course!), I watched the first few, and could not understand anything!! It was difficult enough with subs lol! Having said that, Amazon Prime translation was so bad, we often had to go back and re-read and work it out.... 

Still watching Yanxi Palace and Longest day in Chang An, they are good, really enjoying them. I have to say though, Royal Nirvana was just a few notches above all of them, in terms of characterisation, visual, as every frame was stunningly shot, (though these two are pretty good in different ways, my goodness the women's clothes in Yanxi Palace... to die for! and those Chang An towers are fantastic), writing etc. What are you up to? 

• Awesome 1

On 5/1/2020 at 2:51 AM, PPB said:

Thanks @Sunch , I'm looking forward to watching it and letting you know what I think of it! I cannot, just cannot believe you watched Royal Nirvana without subs (unless you speak Chinese fluently of course!), I watched the first few, and could not understand anything!! It was difficult enough with subs lol! Having said that, Amazon Prime translation was so bad, we often had to go back and re-read and work it out.... 

Still watching Yanxi Palace and Longest day in Chang An, they are good, really enjoying them. I have to say though, Royal Nirvana was just a few notches above all of them, in terms of characterisation, visual, as every frame was stunningly shot, (though these two are pretty good in different ways, my goodness the women's clothes in Yanxi Palace... to die for! and those Chang An towers are fantastic), writing etc. What are you up to? 

@PPB  Happy watching!!  Yanxi and Chang’An are 2 very good shows!! I’m watching “Under The Power” right now - about the unlikely partnership between a high level court detective and low level local constable solving mysteries during the Ming Dynasty. Of course there are some romantic speaks along the way LOL!!
It’s on YouTube so there’s subtitles, and there’s a forum on Soompi about it. I like the mystery genre and there’s good chemistry between the 2 leads so it’s very enjoyable!! 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 9:56 PM, Sunch said:

@PPB  Happy watching!!  Yanxi and Chang’An are 2 very good shows!! I’m watching “Under The Power” right now - about the unlikely partnership between a high level court detective and low level local constable solving mysteries during the Ming Dynasty. Of course there are some romantic speaks along the way LOL!!
It’s on YouTube so there’s subtitles, and there’s a forum on Soompi about it. I like the mystery genre and there’s good chemistry between the 2 leads so it’s very enjoyable!! 

Thanks @Sunch, Chang'An is not my type of thing usually (action film, though Tang style!) but I really love the set, the story is interesting, historically there is lots to learn (just watched the bit about making paper with bamboo, amazing!), really nice. Yanxi Palace, I can see why it was so popular, it's really entertaining and sets, costumes etc are all really good, I just wished they lingered longer on the scenes and characters, but I am enjoying it enormously too. I've started An Jia, again, not my type of thing as yet, but you are right, Luo Jin is always, always lovely to watch, he's amazingly talented. I hope they realise in China, they have one excellent actor. So much to watch! I've made a list, when I finish these I'll have a look at Under the Power, sounds interesting! 

15 hours ago, PPB said:

@Sunch, I also meant to ask, what is Empresses of the Palace like? Would you recommend it? Thanks 

Hi @PPB,  “Empresses of the Palace” is sort of a prequel to Yanxi Palace. It talks about Emperor Yongzheng and the politics of his harem, specifically Concubine Zhen Huan (player by Sun Li).  Emperor Yongzheng is the father to Emperor QianLong,  in Yanxi Palace.

It’s another really good drama!

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2020 at 6:54 PM, Sunch said:

I’m so glad you are enjoying it!! I love the “Seaweed Song” they sing whenever they celebrate. Makes you want to dance along - LOL!

Yes, there's a lot of happy feelings there, and some sad too... Kind of a mirror to today's society I suppose. .. It's lovely. Though I've been to Shanghai twice, and it's never, ever that empty!! 

• LOL 1

• 2 months later...

Hey All, 

Just finished this show and immediately read every post in this chain. Loved reading all the comments and info. I was curious if anyone knows a source for watching this show that actually has good English subtitles? The subtitles on Amazon Prime were awful. Sometimes, when the characters were reciting poems, they actually just wrote “[poem]” as the translation! Wouldn’t mind rewatching this someday(soon) but only with better subtitles. 

And I didn’t see this questioned anywhere (sorry if I missed it), but would anyone be able to tell me what the CP’s line of “I though only my opponent would let you say so” (Prime translation...) means, after Wenxi tells him that she used to love him in Ep25?

Then a few seconds later, when he first puts his hand around her neck, CP’s translation is “Except those... How about you?” And I don’t get that either.

Anyone willing to re-watch that scene and help me out? It’s a nice scene to re-watch anyway ;) TIA!

• Like 1

Hi @Fangsi, I was late watching it too, and, even after watching more dramas, it is still my absolute favourite. Really happy you have enjoyed it too. We also watched it on Prime, and completely agree with you!  The story was complicated enough, but the subtitles were often incomprehensible!! The only other source I know of is YouTube, and though I've only watched some of it on it, I reckon the subtitles there are slightly better.

If you are willing to wait, and if no-one else does it, I'll go back to the scene you mention and try to work it out. I'm studying Chinese and when I get stuck, I ask my teacher! It might take a few days though.... 

ok @Fangsi, went back on youtube, and the translation is the same...on the line  " I thought only my opponents will let you say so", I take it to mean that he is extremely suspicious of her (while of course being attracted to her and just about falling in love with her) because he has enemies on all sides. He doesn't know if this 'I've loved you' is genuine, or something his enemies have told her to say, so she can stay and spy on him. So it would be his opponents that would have urged her to say such extreme words (watch how the other maids are all extremely uncomfortable at this, and promptly leave them alone) so he would let her stay. He's trying to understand if she really means it.

The other line you mention is a bit more tricky. The translation is again the same, CP says "except those" - "chu' na xie"- na xie is those, chu' is except, or also besides, in addition... the second line is "ni zi ji ne?, which does mean "about you?"/ "and yourself?". Now, I'm not sure what 'except those' refers to (except those who love me? except those who want to harm me?). This line follows the 'it's quite tough, how can I accept or decline', so maybe it means 'it's hard to decide except those ...feelings CP has about her? Not sure...

The 'what about yourself' I think is another reference to CP trying to work out if what she says is true, or just another trick to get close to him so she can report what she learns to his enemies. 

Maybe others who may still read this thread can shine a better light on it....

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PPB said:

ok @Fangsi, went back on youtube, and the translation is the same...on the line  " I thought only my opponents will let you say so", I take it to mean that he is extremely suspicious of her (while of course being attracted to her and just about falling in love with her) because he has enemies on all sides. He doesn't know if this 'I've loved you' is genuine, or something his enemies have told her to say, so she can stay and spy on him. So it would be his opponents that would have urged her to say such extreme words (watch how the other maids are all extremely uncomfortable at this, and promptly leave them alone) so he would let her stay. He's trying to understand if she really means it.

The other line you mention is a bit more tricky. The translation is again the same, CP says "except those" - "chu' na xie"- na xie is those, chu' is except, or also besides, in addition... the second line is "ni zi ji ne?, which does mean "about you?"/ "and yourself?". Now, I'm not sure what 'except those' refers to (except those who love me? except those who want to harm me?). This line follows the 'it's quite tough, how can I accept or decline', so maybe it means 'it's hard to decide except those ...feelings CP has about her? Not sure...

The 'what about yourself' I think is another reference to CP trying to work out if what she says is true, or just another trick to get close to him so she can report what she learns to his enemies. 

Maybe others who may still read this thread can shine a better light on it....

Thanks so much, @PPB !! I was willing to wait, but you still responded in less than 24hrs! It’s much appreciated and so nice to know people are still willing to talk about this show, even though it’s old news :)

Even though it seems there’s still room for interpretation, it’s so nice just to get confirmation that the Prime translation is right, because I didn’t trust it at all, after reading everyone’s dialogue translations on this thread. I agree with what you wrote. The ‘opponents’ line is just his disbelief that it could be true; only one of his enemies could get a girl to say such a brazen thing. To me, it’s just an odd way to say it and his acting through this line just didn’t seem to match what he was saying, so I thought for sure I was missing something. And then even though he has more lines in between, now knowing that the Prime translation is correct, I think the ‘except those’ line is referring to his ‘opponents’ and saying something along the lines of ‘Nevermind your boss telling you to say that, tell me how you really feel’, because then he physically tests her. 

Love this story (would also love to read the book). The quality of the production and main leads’ acting was top notch, but due to the shotty translations, I didn’t get really hooked into the story until

Spoiler

CP’s wedding day. Because I kept thinking there could only be OTP, so how is this wedding going to get foiled?Then when they get married, I was like, ok, but he won’t consummate it. And then yup, but she’ll be a total RickRoll'D and he’ll hate her. But nope, she’s amazing and he loves her dearly. And Wenxi is watching it all, in person, real time?!?! So, I was just like, how exactly will our OTP ever get over this, and I couldn’t wait to see it unfold from there. Many sleepless nights :)

Just started watching c-dramas about a year and a half ago, and for the most part, it’s a love/hate relationship, because so many of them have great moments, but fall short on the total package. This is now my #2 fav, but Rise of the Phoenixes still beats this one for me. I loved all the characters In that story so much more, even the Emperor, whereas the only really loveable characters in this story are the main leads. I guess I have a type, cuz I think the production quality and script problems these 2 shows have are strikingly similar. Next show is going to be Nirvana in Fire, but still waiting on some DVDs to come in from some place in Israel, cuz I am NOT watching it with English dubz on Viki! :) 

Thx again for your help. I’ll probably be back, though :) 

• Like 1

Hi @Fangsi, you are very welcome! I don't usually look at this thread any longer, but I got the notification on my email, and, being such a fan, couldn't wait to have another look (even if I should have been doing more useful things...lol!). In fact it made me want to watch it again... I have not been watching Chinese dramas for long either, so have not seen Rise of the Phoenixes, maybe I'll watch that! I do agree that often they are so good, I really enjoy them, but sometimes they just lack something... also the endings are often so sad! I'm sure you know Royal Nirvana got a lot of cuts by the censors, so sometimes it was hard to understand what was going on because of it.

I tend to watch anything with Luo Jin, as I think he's an amazing actor. Though I also really like Li Yitong and Sun Li, there's so much talent in China, unsurprisingly as it's such a big place. At the moment I'm watching Serenade of Peaceful Joy, as I love historical dramas. 

Funny you mention the Princess, I love that bit because, though it is pretty painful for Wenxi to see CP with her, she is in fact such a kind person, and the two become friends rather than rivals. The funeral scene is one of the best I've ever seen, when Wenxi salutes her, I just cry and cry, it gets me every time. 

I'm also watching the modern day drama Behind the Scenes with Luo Jin, but no subtitles, so unsurprisingly, I'm struggling! So if anyone knows where I can find it with English subtitles, let me know, you'll be doing such a kindness....lol 

take care, P

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2020 at 6:51 PM, bluehibiscus said:

1. This point is supposedly addressed in a deleted scene after CP jumps into the pond to save Wenxi. The Emperor rebukes CP for getting himself drenched as it is not befitting his position and CP lashes back, saying he cannot be as callous or clear-minded as him after his wife’s death. The Emperor made Wu De Hou retire from the army 3 years ago right after the Empress’ death by claiming the opening of the gates let in an assassin. That is why when CP kneels in the snow in Episode 1, Gu is in the capital and Zhao Guifei says he’s retired at home.

2. Summary of exam question leak debacle:

Gu Feng En - Room# Tian 48

Lu Wenpu - Room # Tian 60

Xu Changping - Room # Xuan 2

CP was worried that Li Baizhou would target Lu Shiyu, Gu Feng En and Lu Wenpu (the son of his teacher’s student Lu Ying, who had been recommended by Teacher Lu to lead the Censorate which oversaw the conduct of the imperial officials) so he bribed Zhao Li, the keeper of the key to the cabinet where the sealed exam question was kept and his nephew, Xu Chang Ping. If Li Baizhou took action, he promised Xu a post in his residence. If Li Baizhou did not act, he would give Xu a copy of the exam question.

CP visited Teacher Lu and diverted him away from the scene. Meanwhile, Zhao Li stole the exam questions and purposely got caught by Li Baizhou in the process.

The 3 candidates in Room # Tian 49, 61 and Xuan 3 were Li Baizhou’s men. They would later accuse CP of bribing them and arranging for a copy of the exam question to be placed in the rooms beforehand but the change in the room numbers caused Gu Feng En, Lu Wenpu and Xu to be implicated. The real target of Li Baizhou was CP, not Teacher Lu, Gu Feng En or Lu Wenpu. He also got one of the guards to purposely let in a candidate who was trying to cheat by bringing in unpermitted materials. This would be the trigger for ordering a search of all the candidates and their rooms later on.

CP then forged Qi’s handwriting to write a letter instructing Xu to make copies of the exam question and place them in Room# Tian 48 and Tian 60. These forged letters were placed in Xu’s home. He also got Wenxi to take the original exam question to Qi’s residence, pretending it was at Qi’s orders for safekeeping by Qi’s wife. To make sure Qi was away then, he had an attendant send information to Qi’s wife that CP was sending his men to retrieve the original exam question from Zhao Li’s home so Qi would try to intercept him. 

What CP did not know when he wrote the letter was that Room# Tian 40 had a broken roof and the rooms were renumbered by Li Baizhou i.e. Candidate Tian 40 would sit in the room that was originally Tian 41 and so forth. This affected rooms from Tian 40 to Xuan 10. Hence, the copies of the exam question from Li should be in Room # Tian 49, 61 and Xuan 3. Since Xu had a copy of the exam question by CP, there should be 2 copies of the exam question in Xuan #3 but only one copy was found. This meant that Xu and Li Baizhou were working together. Xu later said CP was the one who told him to accuse Qi of being the instigator. To the world, the material evidence and witnesses point to CP trying to frame his brother, Qi, which was what Li Baizhou intended as it could be grounds for him to be deposed.

Not sure if anyone is still willing to dive into this, I know it’s not as fun as rewatching OTP scenes, but I’m still stuck on the exams plot. I rewatched episodes 5, 6, & 7 today, and used the above as a guideline, but I’m still so confused. Here’s why:

So, Zhao went into this planning to be loyal to CP, but Xu was working with Li from the get-go? After all is said and done, Xu meets with Li and An Ping, and Li says the re-numbering of the rooms was Xu’s idea. So did Li have a nefarious plan before CP even planned anything? Or did CP create this whole ‘counter measure’ for nothing?

And what exactly was CP’s plan? He bribed Xu to be on his team, but what exactly did he want him to do? 

Zhao seems to run into Li immediately after stealing the documents. Does Li take the documents from him? If so, when does CP get them, to make sealed copies to back in the locked box? And if he doesn’t take them, why did Zhao purposely want to run into him? 

The 3 sealed documents inside the locked box. Are they 3 separate sets of questions, or is it 3 of the same, and if so, why? Just curious :)

What documents did the guards find when they searched the rooms for evidence of cheating? Was it the questions, or the answers? Did someone (CP or Li) actually write out the answers to the questions and still somehow get them back into the rooms before the start of the test the following morning? If so, seems crazy that a test that takes 9 days could be completed by one person, three times over, in one night. But if it was just the questions, I don’t understand how the questions being in the test room helps anyone, when they’re about to receive the test anyway :)

I don’t understand who exactly put the ‘questions/answers?’ into Gu and Lu’s rooms. Was it Xu (and I’m assuming that wasn’t part of CP’s plan)? Or was it Li, and if so, I just don’t understand how he can be involved with any documentation when we know that the crown prince at least redid the test questions. So it’s not like CP wrote anything out and somehow gave it back to Li, right?

Why does CP beat Xu? At this point does he already know that Xu has gone to the dark side? Or does he not know that yet and it’s all for show? Like, did Xu agree to this in advance? :)

Finally, I don’t understand this part, “Since Xu had a copy of the exam question by CP, there should be 2 copies of the exam question in Xuan #3 but only one copy was found. This meant that Xu and Li Baizhou were working together.” Shouldn’t there be 3 copies all together, and if it wasn’t CP’s intention to place them anywhere, why did he give more than 1 copy to Xu?

Apologies, and thank you :)