[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Royal Nirvana 鹤唳华亭

sugarplum892

On 4/14/2020 at 12:13 PM, PPB said:

Thank you so much  Are you watching anything that you may recommend? Thanks and take care. 

@PPB if you are a fan of Luo Jin and you are ok with modern dramas, I’d highly recommend 安家 ( I Will Find You A Better Home). It stars Luo Jin and Sun Li (from Empresses of the Palace).
It’s about a real estate agency in Shanghai  and the  people who work there. The main story between Luo Jin and Sun Li’s characters is very heart warming.

i think this is Luo Jin’s best work yet. I feel he does his best work when subtlety is required. Sun Li is always excellent. And the suppprting casts were all really wonderful. 
If you want to check it out, all 53 episodes are on YouTube. I think you’ll enjoy it.

2 hours ago, Sunch said:

@PPB if you are a fan of Luo Jin and you are ok with modern dramas, I’d highly recommend 安家 ( I Will Find You A Better Home). It stars Luo Jin and Sun Li (from Empresses of the Palace).
It’s about a real estate agency in Shanghai  and the  people who work there. The main story between Luo Jin and Sun Li’s characters is very heart warming.

i think this is Luo Jin’s best work yet. I feel he does his best work when subtlety is required. Sun Li is always excellent. And the suppprting casts were all really wonderful. 
If you want to check it out, all 53 episodes are on YouTube. I think you’ll enjoy it.

Thank you for the suggestion @Sunch, I've seen the trailers, and Luo Jin promoting it. I wasn't sure, but if you think I may enjoy it, I'll give it a try. Yes, I don't know what status Luo Jin has in China, I try to watch some programmes, but it's a bit difficult for me to follow. I think he's an amazing, subtle actor, very, very talented, I hope he's appreciated in China! I know some people say he was crying too much on RN, but I thought he had an incredible array of expressions, truly amazing, we were all suffering with him.., he's a real talent (and also Li Yitong was excellent). He should be doing serious, high brow, arty stuff! (maybe it doesn't pay as well...).  We are watching him and Tang Yan in Diamond lover (which I would not recommend, but we needed some light hearted stuff after the pain and suffering of RN!! ), and though it's pretty silly stuff, he is so funny and watchable, very versatile.

• Insightful 1

@PPB  I saw Diamond Lover too. I enjoyed it at the time.  It was very light hearted the first time I watched it but when I went back to watch it again, after RN, I couldn’t sit thru it.
You’re right, the storyline is very silly compared to RN but I also found the acting too exaggerated.  If you compare Luo Jin’s acting between Diamond Lover and RN or An-Jia (I will find you a better home), you can tell how much he’s improved. I heard Princess Weiyoung is also very good. He stars with his now wife, Tang Yan, in this one.

I look forward to his future endeavours. I agree with you, he has a lot of potential and he is very talented!

Another one of his later shows (2019) is 幕后之王 (Behind The Scenes) co starring Zhou Dong Yu, about the media industry.  He’s also quite good in this one. This one is airing on YouTube.  I hope you will enjoy An-Jia. I’d be interested to know what you think of it.

• Like 1

Hey @Sunch, I'll look out for "Behind the scenes", thank you. I'll definitely let you know about An Jia, I'm quite curious about it. I know what you mean about RN and DL, they are such different shows...we just needed something light hearted. On Netflix it's only 24 episodes, so much is cut out, but I can't be bothered to watch the rest on YouTube. I have watched Princess Wei Young, and I really enjoyed it though it had a few too many twists and turns (and many poisonings. .. ). Tang Yang is good, and Luo Jin has a nice, kind Prince role. It was the first Chinese drama I ever watched, as we just got Netflix. Then I started looking around on YouTube and found so much more (I know, I'm pretty late at all this...). As I'm learning Chinese, it's really good for me to hear it, though I can't understand the whole thing, I wish! But of course it has to be good too. I started Ming Dynasty, but could not quite go on... Though historically it is quite accurate I think. Or at least there were those characters. 

@PPB  I saw the trailer of “Serenade of Peaceful Joy” too. It’s playing on Viki. So far it’s getting good reviews, so I’m putting on my list to watch. 
Have you seen Yanxi Palace on YouTube  or Rise of the Phoenixes on Netflix? Both are very good too! I got hooked into C-drama because of Rise of the Phoenixes- LOL!

16 hours ago, Sunch said:

@PPB  I saw the trailer of “Serenade of Peaceful Joy” too. It’s playing on Viki. So far it’s getting good reviews, so I’m putting on my list to watch. 
Have you seen Yanxi Palace on YouTube  or Rise of the Phoenixes on Netflix? Both are very good too! I got hooked into C-drama because of Rise of the Phoenixes- LOL!

@Sunch, thanks, I have not seen either. My teacher of Chinese has also recommended Yanxi Palace, she was watching it and really like it. I'd love to see it, it may be something up my street. However, I just haven't found it with subtitles yet.... If Netflix still has Rise of the Phoenix I'll definitely have a look, thanks for the suggestions. For some reason  where I am YouTube does not provide English subs for many dramas. 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

@PPB  that’s awesome! I’ll have to look it up and read what everyone is saying. Oh! btw, Yanxi Palace is also on Amazon Prime so you can watch it for free if you have Amazon Prime. I know Prime has subtitles :)

• Like 1

@Sunch I had to tell you, I've finally found Yanxi Palace with subtitles, have started watching, so pleased!

I'm also watching Longest day in Chang An. Though I'm not necessarily a fan of detective stories (Tang Dynasty style!) it is good and the set is amazing, lots of historical detail, including some amazing communication towers and wooden models of each quarter of the city. I believe they took 7 months to build the streets and the whole set, it's really lovely. 

• Awesome 1

@PPB so glad you found Yanxi Palace!! Hurray!!  I love the entire cast of that show! I especially love the chemistry between the emperor and Wei Yung Luo! I also like that it’s based on history (loosely). If you like the cast of Yanxi, you can also see them in The Legend of Hao Lan, also in Amazon Prime. It talks about the mother is the 1st Emperor of Qi Dynasty.

I’m watching Longest Day in Chang’an too!! It’s so good!! Hard to believe it’s all happening within 24hrs. I’ve got a few shows I’m bingeing at once- LOL! 

I’m sure there’s a 12-steps program for someone like me who’s addicted to c-drama and k-dramas - LOL!

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 2:35 AM, Sunch said:

It’s good, but the ending episodes frustrated me. Very unrealistic and to be honest, after everything I saw our heroine go through, not what I wanted for her. I felt kind of betrayed. 

On 4/28/2020 at 11:30 PM, tulip06 said:

It’s good, but the ending episodes frustrated me. Very unrealistic and to be honest, after everything I saw our heroine go through, not what I wanted for her. I felt kind of betrayed. 

Hi @tulip06 I can't seem to find this show with subtitles, so have not watched it as yet. I'll give it a try when the subs come! 

On 4/28/2020 at 11:28 PM, tulip06 said:

I just watched the end of episode 59 and what was all that regarding the crown princess and the exile? Who went to exile, who got executed?

@tulip06The chancellor got executed (the one who killed Wenxi's father and brother, not the old one who got executed a while back). The son of the chancellor, the foolish one, got sent to exile, and at first it looked as if our heroine was going to go into exile too. But at ep 60 Crown Prince says, I did not mean you. 

• Thanks 1