[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Royal Nirvana 鹤唳华亭

sugarplum892

57 minutes ago, aafa83 said:

Are  Gu Nairen's and Chen Nairen's status high enough for them to marry into the elite families? I thought they were just servants???

Servants can be taken in as concubines. In fact, concubines are considered subjects and only the main wife is a legitimate union. Children of concubines are not held in high regard - example is the 5th prince whose deceased birth mother is of low rank and he was later adopted by concubine Zhao. This is why XDQ would have to be impeached before Prince Qi can inherit the throne as XDQ is the Emperor’s only legitimate son. This is also why LY was so insulted when LBZ proposed that WX be Qi’s concubine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cheerieK said:

That was a cute scene. .. imagining her becoming his stepmother lol. Why do you think he hesitates since he does admire and care for lady gu to a certain extent? 

Wenxi still hadn’t revealed who instigated her so he didn’t trust her completely. Also, he may not feel ready to take a concubine yet.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

9 minutes ago, bluehibiscus said:

Wenxi still hadn’t revealed who instigated her so he didn’t trust her completely.

I suspect in the next few episodes he will finally open that pouch with the name given by his teacher and be able to connect everything while realising her true identity and purpose. There were so many clues surrounding her like her poetry, riding skills, unwavering loyalty, intelligent politicking.. it’s really a huge suspension of disbelief that this suspicious CP hasn’t found out she is WX! This misunderstanding is so wretched that it was definitely designed to torment WX and us along with it.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, bluehibiscus said:

Status only mattered when it came to deciding what rank to give them (they could not normally outrank the higher-born wives).

So, between Wenxi and the Crown Princess, who would outrank whom if they both married the CP?

5 minutes ago, aafa83 said:

So, between Wenxi and the Crown Princess, who would outrank whom if they both married the CP?

@aafa83 

28 minutes ago, jwinata said:
In fact, concubines are considered subjects and only the main wife is a legitimate union.

Crown princess as the legitimate wife rightfully outranks every concubine there is. Between concubines, ranking is determined by birth status, family background and also how much favour the husband is willing to grant. With that said, there are many men who spoil the concubine and neglect the main wife in history. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jwinata said:

I agree with @DramaLover on how WX has already chosen to let go of their first love but as @Madison pointed out CP may be selfishly holding on.

@DramaLover  Here’s a loose summary of the convo between CP and LY in Ep32:

Hide contents

CP apologised to LY on behalf of the emperor if the court has wronged him. CP recognised that LY was framed several times previously which resulted in his grievances. He thanked LY for the assistance in the military horse case. He wanted to reinstate LY position so that Wen Xi and Wen Jin can return to the capital but was shocked when LY revealed he intended to retire and return to his hometown. CP requested LY to reconsider and have faith in the dynasty once more. He quoted Grand Tutor Lu Shi Yu’s words of wisdom and lamented that he needed loyal subjects like LY who understood ethical governance. LY insisted that he would visit CP one last time before his departure.

(if only LY didn’t hesitate and left immediately! Ugh! The angst...the foreshadowing...CP actually quoted the words of LSY thus drawing a parallel of how LY would suffer the same demise because of CP stubbornness.)

And a detailed translation of the poetic beauty in which WX bids farewell to CP:

Hide contents

In the past when CP came to Lu household to ask for WX’s hand in marriage he said that he’s not looking for a titular crown princess but for a life partner who can stand by him through thick and thin (相濡以沫). CP uses only the front part of a Chinese literary adage (相濡以沫、不如相忘于江湖). The second part actually contradicts the first. The entire adage means that rather than struggling, why not part ways and embrace a more conducive environment.

At that time LY rejected him and explained to WX that a partnership forged through adversity (相濡以沫) is merely commendable but granting each other freedom (相忘于江湖) is what is truly fortunate. He reminded WX that it is important for CP to grow his power unfettered by romantic entanglements. 

During WX departure she echoes this same sentiment to CP, suggesting she has understood how to let go. Furthermore, CP has already forgotten his initial declaration of love for her since he no longer recognises his own words. He has a new take on the second part of the literary adage instead, which is for them to part ways in this deep palace of intrigue (深宫) since she wants to transfer to a different palace (which is an excuse for her to leave for good)

What goes unspoken in this scene is how CP finds it a relief that in this way, Gu neiren would not marry 5th prince or Zhang Shao Yun. CP wife had just reminded him of this possibility in the earlier scene when she was teasing him but he didn’t want to let Gu neiren know of his intentions either. He simply said her decision was good.

CP main weakness has always remained the same from the beginning all the way till now.. he simply cannot let go of those that he holds dear. Concubine Zhao was right in that he would end up losing it all. He should not have involved LY and WX in so much politics... I actually dread CP & WX reunion because there would only be more troubles ahead :( this romance is such a tragic ship. Nobody deserves WX, she is too good even for CP.

Thank you for the great insight. I’m dreading what awaits our OTP. 

I’m also reminded of LY discussion with WX

that he’s not in favor of the CP & WX marriage as he didn’t want the CP to be corrupted through this marriage ties, and the work of LY and Wen Pu in future may be compromised. Perhaps their (and the CP wife)’s death will now pave the way for them to reunite and allow their love to bloom. Their love is so tragic on so many fronts and the screen writer so brilliant with story weaving that I can’t tell which direction the wind is blowing. I’m still praying for a happy ending. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jwinata said:

I suspect in the next few episodes he will finally open that pouch with the name given by his teacher and be able to connect everything while realising her true identity and purpose

Didn't WX take back that pouch?

Phew! This really took longer than I expected.  

Part 8 (final) of the military horses debacle. I hope you all enjoy the read:

Spoiler

Wenxi was placed on the bed and Crown Princess asked her what was going on. Wenxi explained that some people meant to cause Crown Princess to miscarry. She was worried if she refused, they would find someone else to finish the job so she came up with this plan. Nianzhi asked what caused her to have stomach pain. Wenxi explained she added ginseng to the dried apricots. When asked why she didn’t inform CP or her, Wenxi said she had her difficulties despite her lowly status. CP arrived and took her away for questioning. Nianzhi sent a maid to follow them and to inform her if torture was used. Kouzhu observed the scene from a distance with uneasy eyes.

Wenxi hugged her knees as she sat beside the bowl of cow milk CP had given her. CP asked her to eat it but she was more concerned about when CP had found out the truth. He replied that the Imperial Physician confessed everything once he was given a bit of scare. He chided her for coming up with the idea of lying to the physician that it was his wish to announce that Nianzhi had miscarried. Fingering her neck, Wenxi asked him the reason for what he did. He said it was to teach her a lesson and she deserved a beating for having committed so many audacious acts.

After some thought, Wenxi shrewdly pointed out that CP must have gone along with the act for another reason. After reminding her that he, not she, was the interrogator, CP admitted what happened to her and Shaoyun were all to force Zhang Luzheng to approach Li Baizhou without raising his suspicions since Zhang Luzheng was after all his father-in-law. If Li Baizhou did not believe Zhang Luzheng, he would not have fallen for CP’s ruse and led him to the whereabouts of the military horses. Wenxi was overjoyed when she heard the military horses had all been located. She asked, “So Your Highness won?” A faint smile curved his lips before he corrected, “We won.” 

Wenxi broke into tears. CP wondered why she was crying and she covered up her reaction by saying she was in pain. He said she deserved it but added he felt her plan was not just to protect Nianzhi but also to purposely push Zhang Luzheng towards outsiders. When she denied it, CP scolded her for not admitting defeat. Wenxi asked about the herbs found inside her room and CP said he told Kouzhu to get any type of herbs. Since they were putting up a show, he thought they might as well go the whole way for the benefit of whoever had sent Wenxi the cow milk.

“A show?” She looked at CP with aggrieved eyes before looking away. He stood up. ”I know there are spies within my residence and you are half a spy.” She denied it and said if he truly believed that, he would never let her off. He said he knew everyone, no matter their status, had their difficulties and matters that were of greater weight so having taught her this lesson, he would not punish her anymore.

“Are we even now?” he asked. Wenxi shook her head, saying she felt she was still on the losing end. CP’s lips quirked and then he said the bowl of milk should help to tip the scale. Wenxi’s tears fell harder, saying they could never be even when so many things had happened.

When her tears showed no signs of abating, CP helped her up and said, “That’s enough. If you continue like this, it makes me feel like you are lying again. My heart will—“ He didn’t finish his words. Taking out his handkerchief, he used it to dab at her tears. His eyes exuded tenderness as his handkerchief gently glided against her cheek and nose, following the trail of tears. Against her will, Wenxi felt herself entrapped by his gaze. She was pulled back to reality when he prodded somewhat forcefully at her forehead. He did it again before she recovered her wits enough to catch at his hand. Leaving the handkerchief in her grasp, he gave her one more look before saying tersely, “Wipe yourself.” With that, he left.

Walking down the steps into the courtyard, Wenxi saw Kouzhu looking at her with troubled eyes. She said, “Don’t worry, I did not tell him anything. And don’t misunderstand, I’m leaving this place very soon.” Before taking her leave, she pressed CP’s handkerchief gently into Kouzhu’s palm.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

On a separate but related topic, do you all trust the Emperor? Is he doing all these to “toughen” the CP, to balance the power in Court, or is this all to take down the CP and install Qi?

I don’t think we’ve seen the last of the Father-Son struggle.... 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jwinata said:

Yup. When he finally gets it he will then know her identity.

Am still trying to figure out how that pouch would prove her identity. CP  didn't seem to remember where that stamp went to earlier so do you think he'll suddenly remember that the teacher had it last and that's how he'll connect WX to it? Really can't wait for the reveal!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

10 hours ago, DramaLover said:

On a separate but related topic, do you all trust the Emperor? Is he doing all these to “toughen” the CP, to balance the power in Court, or is this all to take down the CP and install Qi?

I don’t think we’ve seen the last of the Father-Son struggle.... 

It is far from over. He does love CP but when CP does something without consulting him or hides things from him, or if it seems the officials support CP more, his suspicious nature and insecurity will rear its head as old habits die hard. It can also be triggered by other players around them hoping to drive a wedge between him and CP. The game of checks and balances is second nature to the Emperor. He does not really want to install Qi (he is not smart enough) but is using him to keep CP in check.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Who killed?

Spoiler

Crown princess? Any tots?

our FL suffers too much, how much more she has to suffer:bawling:

CP loved his wife after all and he beat up and put our FL in jail.too much

i can’t even bring myself to watch the latest episodes bcoz of Wenxi. Just watching bits and pieces in YT give me heartache, even though  I’m preparing myself to watch with known spoilers, I can’t seem to do.

do u guys think 5th prince is up to something? Will he become a villain later?

6 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

Phew! This really took longer than I expected.  

Part 8 (final) of the military horses debacle. I hope you all enjoy the read:

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you for detailed explanation of the plot. 30 episodes have this much scheming and plot. I wonder how the next 30 episodes will be

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

Part 7 of the military horses debacle:

Reveal hidden contents

Chen Kouzhu entered the room where Wenxi was kept. 3 men followed, one bearing a tray with a length of white cloth. Wenxi’s eyes darted nervously to the white cloth and she asked, “Hasn’t the Imperial Physician visited these 2 days?” 

”He has but what has that got to do with you?” Kouzhu replied.

“Hasn’t he said anything?”

”That the Crown Princess and her baby are both fine?” Kouzhu said without emotion.

(The scene cuts to the Crown Princess’ residence where Imperial Physician was taking Nianzhi’s pulse. He told her the foetus was in stable condition. Tears flooded Nianzhi’s eyes as she realised she had not lost her child.)

“How did you know?” Wenxi said, astonished.

”His Highness told me.”

“His Highness?” Wenxi thought back to CP’s face when he interrogated her.

“His Highness doesn’t know what method you used to get the Imperial Physician to lie that the Crown Princess had miscarried or why you did it, but—“

”I want to see His Highness! That packet of herbs—”

“Was not yours,” Kouzhu finished for her. A faint smile touched her lips as she saw Wenxi’s pale and shocked countenance.“That I also knew but you won’t get to see him.”

Leaving the Emperor’s residence, CP ignored Zhang Luzheng’s question and asked Youming what the time was. When told it was almost noon, he made haste to return to his residence.

”Since His Highness knew it all, then why?” Wenxi’s hands gripped frantically at the cloth that was wrapped around her throat.

“Don’t blame him. He only wanted to scare you a bit.”

“Then why are you—“

”Because only you—

(Flashback of CP saying that he would feel more comfortable if Wenxi confessed her crime. Somewhat hurt, she asked if she caused him discomfort and he replied,”Sometimes, even when I know you are lying.” )

“—are special,” Kouzhu bit out. “I heard every word of your conversation yesterday.”

”Words of drunkeness,” Wenxi said.

”I grew up with His Highness. He cannot drink wine. He gets drunk when he drinks. You thought it was really wine he was drinking? It was water! He was bringing water for you!”

”The Crown Princess was already bad enough. Who do you think you are? It’s past noon. Begin.”

“T-tell him—I am—”

The pressure around her throat tightened inexorably like a vise. She was fighting a losing battle when the door swung open.

“Court Lady Chen,”a voice said, startling Kouzhu. She turned around and respectfully greeted, “Your Highness.”

”What in the world are you doing?” Nianzhi cried with outrage at the sight that met her eyes.

As always, thank you very much for the summaries! You know, I'm actually quite surprised with Lady Chen's actions.

Spoiler

So she's also jealous of the Crown Princess? I've always thought she had a thing for Gu Feng'en, not the CP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caranita said:

As always, thank you very much for the summaries! You know, I'm actually quite surprised with Lady Chen's actions.

Reveal hidden contents

So she's also jealous of the Crown Princess? I've always thought she had a thing for Gu Feng'en, not the CP.

Spoiler

I'm not up to date with the episodes since I'm waiting for subs; is Lady Chen CP's maid/servant? If so, for me, I'm actually not too surprised. I think there were scenes during the earlier episodes that hinted to her hidden love for CP. I think there was even a scene where the other maids/servants were doing laundry/hanging up clothes and gossiped about how Lady Chen was probably hoping to be CP's concubine one day.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ayang23 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm not up to date with the episodes since I'm waiting for subs; is Lady Chen CP's maid/servant? If so, for me, I'm actually not too surprised. I think there were scenes during the earlier episodes that hinted to her hidden love for CP. I think there was even a scene where the other maids/servants were doing laundry/hanging up clothes and gossiped about how Lady Chen was probably hoping to be CP's concubine one day.

Spoiler

Yes, I remember that earlier episode. I was also thinking that she had developed feelings for the CP. But in the later episodes she seems to be smitten by Gu Feng'en. Especially in the announcement of the first entrance test episode, when she's fetching the CP his tea but her eyes are fixed on Feng'en (to CP's annoyance hahah!). So I thought she might be possessive of the CP but not to an extreme length. How wrong I was, heheheh

• LOL 2