[Short Drama 2018] Hymn of Death [Death Song] / 사의 찬미

Maetawinz

he%2Bhymn%2B.png

[He Hymn of Death] FINALE Ep 3 spoilers, Lee Jong Suk ♥ Shin Hye Sun

Posted on Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Article: Naver 'He Hymn of Death' "Choosing death for life" Lee Jong Suk  Shin Hye Sun, a passionate 'sad ending'  

1. [+1354,-45]
As an actor, it's important to have good pronunciation and vocalization~ And control one's strengths and weaknesses when acting emotionally. I think Lee Jong Suk really did well.. It was short, but he has shown great acting skills!! 

2. [+1068,-21]
Really, it must've been really difficult to act in this one.. Especially the roles Lee Jong Suk and Shin Hye Sun took on. Everyone has worked hard. And, thank you for creating such a good drama. It would be good if the two are happy in He Hymn of Death..  

3. [+814,-13]
"Are you alive? No. But I want death."   

4. [+526,-12]
A drama that leaves a deep impression on me... 

5. [+506,-11]
It's such a pity for the talented people to throw themselves into the sea. This sheds a new light on the topic of death that is questionable in this generation. 

6. [+178,-10]
Isn't Lee Jong Suk really good at acting? He's good in modern and period dramas. Firstly, his acting and vocalizations are good. 

7. [+117,-1]
To think that a period drama can be so emotional..... I think I'm going to have lingering images of this for a long time. 

8. [+117,-8]
Ah, the lingering images are insane... This drama has the best ending among all dramas I've watched recently.. They're acting geniuses.. Lee Jong Suk and Shin Hye Sun, as expected, I could believe in them and watch their dramas. 

chanmi.png

Article: Naver 'He Hymn of Death' Lee Jong Suk  Shin Hye Sun, hug with tears "Let's go to Tokyo together"  

1. [+565,-12]
I like the cinematography that's like a movie~ To be honest, Lee Jong Suk's enthusiastic acting is a pity when it ended. 

2. [+419,-30]
Shin Hye Sun is so pretty, Lee Jong Suk is so handsome. 

3. [+341,-12]
Lee Jong Suk's sorrowful expression.. ㅠㅠ He did so well. ㅠㅠ 

4. [+107,-3]
Both families disgusts me. They made it so that Shim Deok and Woo Jin had no choice but to run away. 

5. [+85,-1]
She wants to rest... I tear up whenever I watch how tired Shim Deok is...

6. [+75,-2]
I'm surprised that Lee Jong Suk suits all kinds of dramas. His acting and narrations are insane.. ♥

7. [+66,-1]
Lee Jong Suk is really charismatic. Why is he so good at acting... 

8. [+68,-7]
Shin Hye Sun's clothes are pretty. I think even if they are worn in the present times, it's good too. 

credit: http://melohwa.blogspot.com/2018/12/he-hymn-of-death-finale-ep-3-spoilers.html

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a beautiful short drama. Standing ovation to Lee Jong Suk and Shin Hye Sun who once again proved their acting prowess. It may be short but it has left the most impressive impact of what a good production should be.

And I'm so proud of Shin Hye Sun who yet again nailed whatever role that is given to her. The praises we see in those naver articles may all be for Lee Jong Suk, but I know there are many others out there who appreciate Hye Sun's excellent acting as well. 

• Guest changed the title to [Short Drama 2018] Hymn of Death // Death Song, 사의 찬미

Finally I could see the subtitled Ep2 (I also saw the Ep3, so I'm waiting for the subtitles)
At the beginning of the episode, I felt so upset with WJ because he did not reveal to SD that he was married. I felt like a dagger in my chest when I saw his disappointment when he discovered the truth that way. I saw WJ so cowardly.
But then you see that both were sadly slaves.
Slaves to the wishes and needs of his family. WJ's last words struck me.
Then you understand (although that does not mean to accept or approve) because they feel good being together. Could they be heard by their families? They expressed their thoughts and were ignored and even reproached.
This drama leaves a lot to think about.

*I am standing here applauding and cheering the performance of Lee Jong Suk and Shin Hye Sun.:)

Just done watching the final episode. Can see why LJS did not think there was much of a narrative to this mini-series. Everything seemed very rushed, leaving viewers to fill in the gaps only with knowledge of these historical characters which, to begin with, is not also very readily available. The story seemed written like as for any drama, but the time given significantly less for plot development. 

I've been trying to search online for as much as is possible of the histories of these people the series tries to introduce to us, but there's almost nothing out there, at least not in English. It would seem as if this story has been told to death (excuse the pun), though there's been a fresh attempt taken here to tell it from Kim Woo-jin's point of view than the commonly told story from Yun Sim-deok's perspective. 

The series seems to present their love story as one that is very pure and almost innocent, though I would reckon the reality of it was probably more tumultuous. This narrative seemed almost too placid. Nevertheless, it was enjoyable always to watch LJS in action. His eyes were so sad throughout this series, finally looking like they had found rest when he led Sim-deok to jump off the ship's deck. 

subs are already out for ep 3 if someone is interested

9 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Just done watching the final episode. Can see why LJS did not think there was much of a narrative to this mini-series. Everything seemed very rushed, leaving viewers to fill in the gaps only with knowledge of these historical characters which, to begin with, is not also very readily available. The story seemed written like as for any drama, but the time given significantly less for plot development. 

I've been trying to search online for as much as is possible of the histories of these people the series tries to introduce to us, but there's almost nothing out there, at least not in English. It would seem as if this story has been told to death (excuse the pun), though there's been a fresh attempt taken here to tell it from Kim Woo-jin's point of view than the commonly told story from Yun Sim-deok's perspective. 

The series seems to present their love story as one that is very pure and almost innocent, though I would reckon the reality of it was probably more tumultuous. This narrative seemed almost too placid. Nevertheless, it was enjoyable always to watch LJS in action. His eyes were so sad throughout this series, finally looking like they had found rest when he led Sim-deok to jump off the ship's deck. 

Maybe its me, or because haven't watched subs for ep 3.. but the story felt underwhelming..

its good.. but its not or rather i could not feel the super tragic note that i should have resonated with in this drama..

given acting and everything else is pretty good.

Have to agree with everyone and LJS. While the production and acting was good, I was left wanting more of the story of these two tragic people. You have a sense of what they were going through but wasn’t really allowed to feel their pain. I wanted to feel the pain in their hearts.

I love this one .... 'Hymn of Death' Season 2.  Hope this time there will be more than 3 episodes.  

Plot summary.

While she was in coma for 13 years from accident and while he was sleeping, Jae-Chan and Seo-Ri both remembered their past lives as Woo-Jin and Sim-Deok.  In this present life, they found each other again.

(big thank for creator/owner)

On 12/6/2018 at 5:29 AM, rolisrntex said:

Have to agree with everyone and LJS. While the production and acting was good, I was left wanting more of the story of these two tragic people. You have a sense of what they were going through but wasn’t really allowed to feel their pain. I wanted to feel the pain in their hearts.

Don't you fell a pain in his heart by watching this scene? 

"Father, scribbling a few words on this piece of paper helps me breathe a little. But you are telling me to quit it so I must ask, do you want me to live or die?"

DYVgWW5U8AEVk2V.jpg

KIM U-JIN - THE PRECURSOR OF THE KOREAN EXPRESSIONISM 

Abstracts
EN
Kim U-jin (1897-1926), the first professional literary critic in the history of Korean literature, as well as the poet, essayist and dramatist has not been highly valued in the Korean theatre and literary circles for a very long time.
His literary achievements were not revealed until the late of 1970s and published in 1983. Korean historians of literature and researchers of the modern Korean theatre immediately noticed and paid special attention to Kim U-jin's original artistic view and varied interests, his extensive knowledge of Western literature and remarkable insight into Western philosophy, as well as the novel literary technique, vivid and distinct especially in his dramatic output that maybe modest in quantity but very unique in comparison with the works of other Korean writers of the 1920s.
The artistic view of Kim U-jin formed under the influence of Schopenhauer's metaphysical irrationalism, Nietzsche's relativist theory of value and Bergson's intuitive philosophy of life.
Kim U-jin did not limit himself to the literary convention of realism that was gaining some popularity in Korean intellectual circles but very soon became interested in the avant-garde current of German expressionism recognizing its new, limitless options of theatrical and artistic expression.
Dealing with social issues, Kim U-jin as the first playwright in the history of Korean literature broke with the conventional style and romantic mode. Instead he included in the content of his plays own reflections and extended them by contemplating the main character's psyche. He also enriched his works with many autobiographical motifs, often presented in an extremely subjective manner.

Depressing lyrics during the Japanese colonial era

The “Suicide of Lovers” incident, in which Yoon Shim-deok and Kim Woo-jin jumped into the Korea Straits in 1926, was the very first case.

Nito Record Company released “Praise for Death” two weeks after Yoon Shim-deok died, and advertised her as “Joseon’s only soprano singer who sang ‘Praise for Death’ as her last song and threw herself into the big blue sea.” Nito’s “marketing with the deceased” was a great success.

But the gloomy sentiment and depressing lyrics of “Praise for Death” stimulated the nihilism of the young people, which was everywhere in Korea after the 3.1 Movement failed. “Praise for Death” was a big hit, but the Japanese empire must have been rather afraid. If such sentiment can turn into resentment and turn its directions toward anger on the Japanese empire, it could have become an unstoppable wave of anger.

“Praise for Death” embraced and comforted the sorrow of young people of Joseon, who were lost and discouraged, with its lyric saying “In this world of tears, will my death end it? All of you looking for happiness, finding you is a sad thing.” 

Full Article: http://english.donga.com/3/all/26/1220501/1

Via: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq7xRmdlgTy/

My feeling of "Death Hymn" 

It is true that it is difficult to portray in three hours the intense and sad story of two real people.
But in this mini-drama, we talk about such serious issues as: some cultural customs (parents who decide the life and future of their children), political oppression, adultery and suicide. But I think they have done it with great delicacy, sensitivity and great respect. They showed us their pain, their anguish and frustrations, but in a realistic and balanced way.

In short: for me, "Hymn of death" used the correct dose of anguish.

Archived