[Short Drama 2018] Hymn of Death [Death Song] / 사의 찬미

Maetawinz

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ibru I think those scenes you picked showed (to me at least) Kim Woo-jin's frustrations. They are just few and fat between. Insufficient to get the audience to really become invested in the characters beyond just "spectatorship". Like @loversbridge, I was also hoping for something more intense, more intimate between the 2 leads that would lead to the anguish you would expect from the mere idea of separation. Kim Woo-jin seemed just too calm when he was dealing with his father's business, right down to his first refusal to tell Yoon Sim-deok not to leave after she asked. And that's the thing -- she should have pleaded, but all she did was ask.  

I know depression does not necessarily look dramatic, and in fact, it often doesn't. LJS really did very well in showing that perpetual sadness in his eyes which is really easy to miss (and hence very often, depression that leads to suicide goes very sadly undetected through daily interactions, even by professionals). So all that emptiness felt by him was very clearly brought across by his acting (which none of us doubt). I just didn't feel enough of the desperation of their love for each other because those scenes were so few. Too few. Even the love letters shared between them which we catch only a small glimpse of - literally, because we just see the letters rather than hear (enough of) them - didn't do enough to highlight how much deeply in love they were. On the surface of what was presented to us, it did not (for me) appear reason enough for them to take their lives. And that very last scene, again I wondered why it was that Kim Woo-jin was the one leading her to their death with her following like a sheep to the slaughterhouse than of both of them resolutely wanting this together. If anything, I would have expected her to be the one to lead him because she appeared to have the stronger character between the 2. 

Anyone else wants to chime in on this?

45733547_1190949321103422_5358555614896207842_n.jpg

This whole dance scene with Jong Suk's voice at the background with all the moments they've spend together... I was crying by watching it for the 1st time without translation and crying again by watching it for the 10th time with translation.. 

"Your unforgettable name, deep in my heart... 

Your name is engraved and I long for you.

You set fire to my heart.

In my heart you ignited the inextinguishable flame of love.

Before your name can be forgotten, I long for you again.

Oh, even at the moment of death, I shall call out your name.

Even as I'm living, my heart longs for you.

Until the moment of death, I will long for you.

You set fire to my heart.
In my heart you ignited the inextinguishable flame of love... Shim Deok ..."

46655200_1349087095233277_5225260172126710232_n.jpg

47112450_1647026525397644_4918589027066147073_n.jpg

Blu-ray / DVD promotion of the company's director's edition

There are a few more scenes in Netflix that have not been shown in the room. Deleted scenes that did not show up in Netflix. Do not you want to see more? Feel the sensuality and loneliness in the "He Hymn Of Death"  B / D as well.
Blu-ray / DVD is produced depending on the quantity of the film.
Directed Blu-ray / DVD Temporary Demand Registration
There is no cost for provisional demand.
Application method -> http://cafe.daum.net/HehymnofdeathBD

http://m.cafe.daum.net/HehymnofdeathBD/_image?boardType=S

Dt7tp8GXcAA9Fl8.jpg

Via: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLZUTFIHGZU

The back ground poem in the final dance scene of "He Hymn Of Death" is a poem "Nostalgic name" (Ca-ro Nome) written by Kim Woo-jin for his play "Shipwreck"

[Scrap] Kim Woo-jin / Shipwreck (Play)

Ca-ro Nome
잊지 못할 네 이름
내 가슴 속 깊이 들어온
네 이름 그리워라
내 가슴에 불지르고
마음에 끄지 못할
사랑의 불꽃을 준 
잊혀질 새 없이
이내 맘 그리워라
아!죽을 때에도
네 이름 부르련다
살아 있을 동안도
이 내 맘 그리워라
네 이름만 부르련다
죽어가는 그 때에도
살아 있을 동안도
이 내 맘 그리워라
아 아 그리워 
네 이름만 부르련다
네 이름만 부르련다
죽을 그 시간에도
죽을 그 시간에도 
오 네 이름만 부르련다
부르련다
죽을 그 시간까지도
Ca-ro Nome 
Ca-ro Nome
네 이름 그리워라
내 가슴에 불지르고
마음에 끄지 못할
사랑의 불꽃을 준 
Ca-ro Nome 
Ca-ro Nome /그리운 그 이름/

Credit: http://m.blog.daum.net/_blog/_m/articleView.do?blogid=0Oq5n&articleno=208

Another article: http://m.blog.daum.net/rheesang100/207?np_nil_b=1

The Value of Humanity and Familialism in Expressionist Consciousness 
- Focused on Kim Woojin's "Shipwreck" - 

Perhaps it is a struggle to find human value, and it is also the result of the absence of love for the family. 

e838d6c5gy1fxv73tuunbg20i207snpg.gif

e838d6c5gy1fxv73dcsddg20jg0kub2e.gif&key=23c02d82868362f2d90066983ef19d7cc50f2247a970fd2b738c9c5163a58216

e838d6c5gy1fxv749vkypg20jg0czhdv.gif

Swaying blooming flowers 

When you are alive and crying because of love, you are 
willing to think of this story to be comforted. 
There is still love in that difficult time, 
we must never give up love. 
The old love of someone in the distant times is 
willing to illuminate you and your love today, and 
from now on, to pursue the memory of the vague love. "Death
lauding" lingering finish 

Cr. Rang_5959 / loverddot[sad]

repost @asiaren

hello~~

i come here after doing 3 hours marathon of He Hymn Of Death.

My End Thoughts:

Visually wise, its a beautifully shot drama. i love how simple yet very reminiscing of that time, they made. 

Shin Hye Sun performance as Yun Shim Deok, marvelous. this is the third i see her acting after school 2013 and Secret Forest. Her lip sync can better but its just minor issue. her looks after she part away from woo jin really capture how tired she is from all of this. tired for making small penny, tired from constant worrying on how to make sure your family need can be fulfill some way and tired of letting go Woo Jin. she tried so hard to stay away as she know his circumstances.

Woo Jin family is terrible that's for sure. i cant even feel sorry to the wife, tbh. she looks more like woo jin's dad wife more than woo jin herself.  its not her fault that she''s marrying a man who cant love her back. but, she can at least be supportive of her husband fond of writing literature. ( blast me. people. im a bit heartless on this, right. sorry :unsure:)

but from shim deok side,  aside from her mom, who i know at wit's end with their poverty, her family are quite supportive of her. i'm glad that the siblings asked her not to stoop that low just to gain some penny  by becoming Japanese military  singer. we know damn well what would happen if she perform.  like she said, her soul will die. 

The poems and woo jin's word from journal was fantastic touch. it give goosebumps and at his last entry of 1926 before his death. about dying to live. it show how much the real woo jin's suffer that he rather chose death to at least feel alive. and to know that he wrote that not just for himself but for shim deok suffering too ....:(

HOWEVER , the story/ or lack what are  our own LJS has said that it lacks narrative especially the very 1st ep.  i want more. i want to understand woo jin frustration of trying to show how he's trying to fight for Joseon independence despite his father opposition. show how  him got severely beaten for his work, and not just the afterthought after the torture happen. i cant feel the pain. i cant feel the helplessness. show me show!! 

Lee Jong Suk:unsure: i love you darling more than anything. i love your  previous drama and your character to the moon. but here, i really cant feel your frustration on how you have to give up writing or  giving up on shim deok. i dont know if you're given less substance to work on but  i can only sense you frustration when you blow up on your dad  for not giving you breathing space. i want to see your pining for shim deok so badly and your regret for loving her after you have lifetime commitment with someone else.  i wish the writer wrote something stronger for you because your portrayal of kim woo jin is a bit weak to me. sorry darling :unsure:

All in all. its not that 3 eps special isnt good. but i do wish for more.  that lingering feeling that its not enough,  its a bit frustrating.  its like someone said here,  we weren't really allowed to see their pain. especially woo jin's. i wish the quote they wrote for woo jin and shim deok about their love to each other, how just holding hand is enough, or kept saying sorry for not be able to give more than holding hand before the drama aired was portrayed in the drama. that quote itself felt more emotional than the drama itself.

i envy those who can cry at their lines, their sadness. i wish i can feel the same. 

enjoy watching everyone~~~

I thought the cinematography was excellent, and the script writing was, too. I liked most of the music, but the song in the last episode (Falling in Love) was a bit jarring to me with the English.

Spoiler

(Er, actually, it made me think of that song You Are My Destiny that played over and over in You from the Star, which was somewhat modern and distracting...)

I really liked the song from the first episode that was repeated a lot, though. And also using the actual Hymn of Death as a lot of background music. I thought all of the actors did a fine job, but I was especially impressed with Jongsuk. I thought he did a great job showing the pain and quiet despair of a man who could not even own his own life. The scene where he confronted his father--yeah. 

On 12/7/2018 at 8:27 PM, gilaswan said:

And that very last scene, again I wondered why it was that Kim Woo-jin was the one leading her to their death with her following like a sheep to the slaughterhouse than of both of them resolutely wanting this together. If anything, I would have expected her to be the one to lead him because she appeared to have the stronger character between the 2. 

Actually, she is the one who first suggested it. (Around 18 minutes to the end of the last episode.) I guess the Japanese writer he was reading when they first met killed himself, and she said that she could understand, and wanted to end things herself, only then she would miss WJ too much. And he said well, not so much, because basically he wanted to do the same thing. So I think it was her leading him into it (although admittedly it didn't take much; the depression was bleeding from his eyes more and more in every scene.) 

Some mentioned they wanted a more passionate love thread here, but I think there were two considerations: one is that this is a show about adultery and suicide, but it's being aired on SBS? Um...gotta go easy on those themes on public tv... But I think the other thing is that their plotline was only one part of a larger story, ie that here was a man living under incredible oppression. Like one Naver article I read said: "Woo Jin loves literature, his country, and Sim Deok. And he can't have any of them." I mean, his father was trying to even control the thoughts inside his mind. There's a very large theme of personal free agency versus fate (or the fate inflicted by a controlling parent, anyway). JS does well with this kind of theme, it was pretty major in W as well. He's good at showing the conflict of someone who desperately wants to choose his own path, yet has enough righteous sense in him to realize that he has certain responsibilities, too. 

Man, what a despair-filled ending, though... 

@frozentundraAgreed on the point that as a show aired on SBS, they would not want to make it seem as if they were glorifying suicide or adultery. And indeed, these are themes that are difficult to deal with on public TV without making it seem like you condone or even remotely appear to empathise with. Such as with the Netflix show "13 Reasons". Many people were uncomfortable with how the series seemed to legitimise suicide as a form of revenge on those around the deceased. 

Nevertheless, passion between the 2 leads need not be dramatised through lewd sex-scenes. I think people who commented that the story seemed too thin were hoping to see more of the anguish between the 2. And that didn't come off very well. Even to say he lived a choiceless life in a difficult time period - that difficulty was also not portrayed enough. The tension between the Japanese and Joseon people were not sufficiently told. Instead, it looked like Woojin very flippantly gave up on a life of privilege that he did not appreciate, given the circumstances. 

44 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Instead, it looked like Woojin very flippantly gave up on a life of privilege that he did not appreciate, given the circumstances. 

I do not think Woo Jin was frivolous (I think a cold person would not have achieved such a sad result). On the contrary, he was a person accustomed to suppressing his feelings. (You see him doing that when he stops to kiss SD, or when he submits to his father's demands every time). He learned to suppress himself since he was a child, from the death of his mother and having to accept his father's new wife. (And was not that why he loved to write? It's the way he could release and vent his feelings) To this is added a controlling parent who wanted to dominate his life. It was as if the father wanted to perpetuate his life through his son. He forced him to marry someone he did not love, to study what he wanted and to work for his business. Woo Jin did not have a life of his own.
Another point: Woo Jin was a person who had high values such as honesty, sincerity and loyalty. (values that came into conflict when he fell in love with Sim Deok)
THAT IS THE INTERNAL STRUGGLE THAT JONGSUK REPRESENTS VERY WELL.
And is not that conflict of values what leads him to make that tragic decision?
Both were intelligent people, but their moral struggles were a devastating burden for them.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/11/lee-jong-seok-and-shin-hye-sun-to-star-in-sbs-drama-special-in-praise-of-death/

Lee Jong-seok and Shin Hye-sun to star in SBS drama special In Praise of Death

lee.shin_.jpg

It looks like Lee Jong-seok (While You Were Sleeping, W–Two Worlds) is planning to stay busy before he goes off to the army! Lee and Shin Hye-sun (Thirty But Seventeen, My Golden Life) have been confirmed as the leads for the drama special In Praise of Death.

The story will be a dramatization of the real life and tragic love story of Yoon Shim-deok (played by Shin Hye-sun) and her lover Kim Woo-jin (played by Lee Jong-seok). Yoon was Korea’s first soprano and her story is well-known in Korea, but the very little attention had been paid to Kim Woo-jin before now. The drama will examine both figures and their relationship as Kim was said to have been both friend and lover to Yoon.

The drama title was take from a song of Yoon’s by the same name. The song “In Praise of Death” was released in August, 1926 — the same month she committed suicide. Following her death, the song became a huge hit.

Originally slated to have just two episodes, a third episode was added to the production’s run. I will definitely be tuning in and I’ll make sure to have plenty of tissues handy. In Praise of Death will follow Fox Bride Star and air on November 27th

2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Nevertheless, passion between the 2 leads need not be dramatised through lewd sex-scenes. I think people who commented that the story seemed to thin were hoping to see more of the anguish between the 2. And that didn't come off very well. Even to say he lived a choiceless life in a difficult time period - that difficulty was also not portrayed enough. The tension between the Japanese and Joseon people were not sufficiently told. Instead, it looked like Woojin very flippantly gave up on a life of privilege that he did not appreciate, given the circumstances. 

THIS. we dont really have to see they are sleeping together or intense kissing. they are born and felt in loved during turbulence time. at least show MORE of their anguish for not able to show their pride, trying to fight for liberated Joseon in their own way.

i want this two, shin hye sun and Lee Jongsuk to be in another drama as a lead, so i want to see whether its the drama narrative problem that made their love in this quite bland or they really didnt have chemistry in the first place.  they are terrific actor and actress. but this is not the best they can do. 

Warning: This Article Contains Spoilers & Political Triggers

If you dislike spoilers with a fiery passion, please avoid this article (and Shim Deok’s wiki) 

Oxqlyf.jpg

Hello! This marks my very first article ever... to say that I am a little nervous would be an understatement. But I adore this drama so much that I just had to give it a try! 

This article is an odd mix of a review and things I think might help readers want to see this heart wrenching story (if you don’t mind reading some spoilers beforehand).

Before we begin, I want to say that I am in no way a professional at writing, nor do I know every detail about the lives the drama is based on. I could have some facts wrong as I get my information from the internet (which isn't the most trustworthy source sometimes). Lastly; My opinion might be biased because I am a hopeless romantic to a fault. 

All episodes of The Hymn Of Death are available to watch now on Netflix Korea as well as other streaming sites and will also be on Netflix in Asia and English speaking territories December 14 and all other territories including Europe on December 28.  
g2XlPf.jpg'

The Hymn Of Death' drama title pulls inspiration of the title from Yun Shim Deok’s song "In Praise of Death" (Hangul: 사의 찬미; also known as "Death Song" and “Hymn Of Death”). The song is said to have been recorded in Osaka during August of 1926, three days before Yun Shim Deok and Kim Woo Jin left Japan.

qqbQDf.jpg

Before we get into discussing this drama, I feel we should cover a few bases in regards to warnings and possible heavy content in this drama. In lieu of not wanting to give away too much information, I will jot down a few things that might strike as a need for a warning or possible triggers. These are either mentioned, hinted at, or actually in the drama itself. Heartbreak, controlling parents, adultery, suicide, politics (1920's Korea during the Japanese Rule), and abuse of power.

Spoiler

nEbANf.jpg Basis:  Based on lives of Kim Woo Jin (Kim U-jin, 김우진), who has been credited as the first professional literary critic and the first playwright in the history of Korean literature, and Yun Shim Deok (Yun Sim-deok, 윤심덕), who has been credited as Korea’s first professional soprano. The story follows through the span of 5 years (1921-1926) that the two knew each other.  

Synopsis:   Genius playwright, Kim Woo Jin, attends Waseda University for English Literature, while pouring his mortification at not being able to assist in the resistance through his writing. He is the eldest son of a wealthy family that is against his love for writing. Aspiring soprano, Yun Shim Deok, attends Ueno College of Music for Vocal Music to better her singing ability. She is the eldest daughter in a family that struggles to get by. 

The two meet through a mutual acquaintance and form a bond that at first, they try to forget and move on from, but soon realize it is much easier said than done. Kim Woo Jin and Yun Shim Deok are both from different worlds with pressure from their respective situations and on top of all that; their fight in the struggle to bring some peace of mind to the Joseon people. When the world feels like it is crumbling down around them, their fates take a tragic turn.

Before you get into the drama, the note about the episode one lets us viewers/fans know that this is a work that is fictional and is only based on the lives of Kim Woo Jin and Yun Shim Deok and that some parts of the drama may be different to actual events.

bwnZZf.jpg

Our Leads   

d4YOzf.jpg

Shin Hye Sun as Yun Shim Deok is something to truly behold. Not only does she give an amazing first impression of her character, but at the end of just the second episode, she will literally break your heart with her profound performance. There are numerous scenes in which she uses both her body language and her emotions to portray the worries and stress that has been placed upon her character as a sole provider in the Yun household (which makes you sympathize and also go through these emotions with her), but also as someone who has truly fallen in love with someone that she thinks she can never have due to his status in both the world and in his family (married).

8Ymx2f.jpg

Lee Jong Suk as Kim Woo Jin is absolutely wonderful to watch. He truly brings to life a character that can really tug at your heart strings. He makes it easy for you to see and sense the hesitation in his character when it comes to falling for Shim Deok, so that you know of his inner struggle. Not only that, but his lack of holding back during emotional scenes showcasing the passion his character holds for his work and doing something in the fight during that era (see episode 4) will absolutely break your heart. Through his acting, he portrays the burden and pressures of filial duty with such honesty that the viewer can feel the weight on his shoulders as if it is their own.

Our Supporting/Guest Roles  

50ry0f.jpg

Although, these amazing actors might not get as much screen time as our leads, they still leave their lasting impressions during the scenes they are in. From the strong performance that causes you to feel frustrated at Woo Jin’s father (Kim Myung Soo) for being so strict, to feeling slightly sad over the hurt Kim Hong Ki (Lee Sang Yeob) feels for liking Shim Deok initially. 

Bonus fun fact! Lee Ji Hoon (recently seen in KBS2’s Your House Helper) portrays Hong Nan Pa (Korean composer, violinist, conductor, music critic and educator) who was known as a composer of Bongseonhwa (봉선화, literally Garden Balsam) which is considered the first true Korean original song composed in Western style.

404mrf.jpg

Not only does this drama know how to target your heart with everything mentioned so far, but it also knows how to give a meaningful soundtrack as well. Three songs were featured on the OST at the time of creating this article (they are listed below). Each song has an instrumental version as well. I personally haven’t been able to stop listening to The Heart Only Knows on repeat. What is your favourite from the soundtrack?

(If you cannot view the videos above, you can see them at the following links)
1. "The Heart Only Knows" (가슴만 알죠by Sohyang
2. "Stay With Me" by Song Ha-ye
3. "Falling In Love" by Heen

mjbemf.jpg

Ah, this has to be one of the most difficult things to do. Narrow down so many favourites into a list of the top 5 from this drama. They are not in any particular order. All thoughts expressed during this are of my own take on the drama/characters/scenes and do not reflect others’ thoughts.

D8nEof.jpg

The first scene(s) that I will mention are the ones where she begins to worry because Woo Jin has missed practice for two days. She visits his house and when he doesn’t answer, she walks in. As a viewer, we can see the books are not on the desk (reference to his father’s letter, telling him not to put the books on his desk) but she begins to pick them up and place them there.

This could probably be seen as two things. One; a nod towards how their relationship might be in the future with her wanting for him what he wants, so in lieu of that, helping him see that it is okay to go after what he wants. Two; the fact that the drama is showing us exactly how hard he tries to be a good son even when he knows his father has no way of knowing he didn’t stack the books on the desk. I prefer to accept the latter as I believe since the father hasn't been present in a scene just yet, we needed to see just a slight insight into his situation and this scene gives us an idea.

VQZJzf.jpg

The scene where they are interrupted by officers I believe is a turning point in their plan to put on a play for the people of Joseon. It also gives us a sense of how unsafe what they are doing is, if they can be interrupted at any second.

Since the scene showcased exactly how dedicated Woo Jin is towards his work and belief in participating in some way with the resistance, standing at gun point without flinching -- I believe it not only opens the viewers eyes, but also Shim Deok’s eyes as well since in the following scene, she is the one to speak up and encourage everyone else to continue on with the performance. This in turn seems to cause him to become more fond of her and her of him.

On a walk they have following this scene, Shim Deok thanks him for changing her outlook on the situation and he thanks her for noticing his sincerity.

LxABLf.jpg

So I'm cheating slightly and referencing two scenes in one go since these two correspond with one another. Their meeting after 5 years of not seeing each other holds so much weight. Had she not chased after him in the middle of her performance, they would not have been able to continue on as they did.

The fact that when they do face each other, you can sense their hesitance in doing such, as well as the awkward situation they can feel between them even after so long apart. Much like we saw when Shim Deok brought him porridge while she thought he was sick -- here we see Woo Jin mentioning how she should change her outfit before they go for a walk because he is afraid she might trip. This is much different than the emotions he had shown years before, this time he is actually voicing his concerns and letting her know that the promise that he kept isn't the only thing he has cared about during their absence from one another.

When they are seemingly nearing the end of their walk, Shim Deok takes the initiative and as she tells him how seeing him made her heart race, Woo Jin is completely still. It's not until she starts to tear up, speaking about how she had never truly been able to forget him when we see Woo Jin visibly swallow back his need to cry too. But holding it back doesn't seem to be enough as he stops himself from speaking a couple of times before wrapping his arms around her in a hug. Woo Jin proceeds to tell her to leave it as it is then and that he will too; which without saying as much, it's his own way of telling her he hadn't forgotten about her either.

qqbVzf.jpg

In this scene, it mentions how Woo Jin is a good son and a good person. Our female lead asks him no begs him to hold her tight and tell her to not leave him. It's when he seems to most confused that she confesses that a family wants her to marry their son and that they are wealthy. She also lets him know what marrying the son would mean for her younger siblings. Before he can say anything in regards to money, she quickly states how if she had said anything -- he would have gone out of his way to get it to her. But having his money in her hands would have made her feel disgusting and ashamed. Shin Hye Sun has already given so much of herself to the drama so far, but this scene, this emotional roller-coaster is one of the best ones she delivered throughout.

You can see and sense the desperation of this scene from the actors in the way they use their emotions and body language to help us feel it in the moment. To top things off, it is set to the backdrop of the ocean on a beach  -- waves crashing in the background sound.

B0xj7f.jpg

The last of the top five... Here, we have a big favourite of mine from Lee Jong Suk. In this scene, his father is angry over the fact that his son had been sending his writing in to be published in literary magazines under a pen name thinking he wouldn't find out. But after everything that Woo Jin has gone through and what he has been denied, he finally breaks that wall he has kept up for so long. His entire body shakes along with his voice and lips and finally tears flow more freely than they had in scenes before.

His father expressed how he thought he was rebelling by sending in his writings. But Woo Jin asks him how he could possibly be rebelling when he has done everything his father has ever asked (arranged marriage, the school he wanted him to go to, and taking over the family business)

It's such an important scene, because, throughout the drama, we have seen him as the good person and good son that he is. He tries his hardest to please his father, but finally it has become too much and he cannot take it anymore. So for him to break, talk back, and to truly scream at his father is a huge telling sign of just how much stress and pressure has been put on him to bring him to this sort of breaking point. But what his father doesn't understand is that he feels very passionately about writing, about participating in regaining Joseon's independence that he cannot physically take part in and about not being able to be with the one person he loves. And after it all, after expressing his unhappiness -- what does his father do? Writes it off, ignores it. Says he's drunk. How FRUSTRATING!

bwnOZf.jpg

BONUS Scene: Because I dislike sticking to lists when it comes to favourites and HAD to mention this one.

Shim Deok is lying with her head against Woo Jin's back, has been sitting this way the entire time he has been writing (apparently). We see them both looking comfortable and at ease after finally making a decision that they believe is the only choice they had. Shim Deok says she had come up with a poem while he was writing and then proceeds to recite it, but once she says that is all she could come up with, Woo Jin joins in.

The words they are speaking are the lyrics from the song "Hymn Of Death"

y74m3f.jpg

Please note this has been added in for a little quick attempt at humour at the end of this article.

5ZRDJ75VQO63bDELVpBp7z_6luaXFg6Isc9Nr8_6vEtJj18oag91KRJ3tkxzS03_LtbaRmRYJUDh2BAT5HFOjyfgT9zGnEXkz4uZo8qLjo37qejYETX8hmNjHUxhnwCz53A5m9B5 You are a hopeless romantic

TYnIaLRM6wtca9gcx5ixzj-v7P4OEgHOYgUtwaHSLWdEbHsUcyr3eqkRS-dubyHYYVZbyc4v5xJA8Kvm-yUCkoDfezLAH0bNq0KhhRdo3mzWC0sgb1-hV22AbWDmCjI-n-7Y4Zpq You LOVE (and I mean really love) crying your eyes out

TYnIaLRM6wtca9gcx5ixzj-v7P4OEgHOYgUtwaHSLWdEbHsUcyr3eqkRS-dubyHYYVZbyc4v5xJA8Kvm-yUCkoDfezLAH0bNq0KhhRdo3mzWC0sgb1-hV22AbWDmCjI-n-7Y4Zpq The true events have swayed you to watch the drama and then follow up with a Google search. 

6vt6JqxYgDnRk7rf7NrRb5rWmLMYAN12BMBVwGQhmvO96DAjGZj8b8ALUMECSGY2To1wXKBo85f5Rw93uaFZHMNR-febAGeviWmQRtVST3WruAvHDwah1m5-ThEZjA5Vv8yCMgyy The cast is enough to make you fall in love at first glance.

6Wf9R16x_Igsi7UBchQ_52lgvaEvXqpJnhz28gwtmubM0MgR9GuOB96guyxlGGyOBpzeOQAqZF1ieOTf6HlZdBKYuBdJb99ZDQpj_tBEgAaEgtJp3AaOZ_7eQNWym2Fhu8zzgBy0 Someone told you about the dance scene near the end of episode 2.

34ECCQwut_ut__TyTxwb8xzwi1mhv4YMynfCHHsa0F0SvUe4jjPZXpg5fgEOoTxt6mthDUOevVuoy2ivbVFxNdk_3DVTa8kRy5haFUeRzD2z2hZ_cwxveJ6AosCQE0R5aWJqdeVb You cannot get the OST out of your head now, thanks to a few of your chingus (친구) (or you can hear me with the volume all the way up from where you are in the world). 

cWP2I6rCQW-gXpWOYDl-X5HUnQ1PT6qWt5ctQ6hNmZL8dMPctrUtjZ2Gzk_vKKp0AMhkGoeJg7XpUpHmOYZlZihiCNjCg8_z5ePLqCR3KZlNFsBCpCw9ktvHs-_7FTnQZdxZSEMT The attire in the 1920's really makes you love this drama already.

cWP2I6rCQW-gXpWOYDl-X5HUnQ1PT6qWt5ctQ6hNmZL8dMPctrUtjZ2Gzk_vKKp0AMhkGoeJg7XpUpHmOYZlZihiCNjCg8_z5ePLqCR3KZlNFsBCpCw9ktvHs-_7FTnQZdxZSEMT You really adore tragedies that make your heart break into a million pieces. 

6Wf9R16x_Igsi7UBchQ_52lgvaEvXqpJnhz28gwtmubM0MgR9GuOB96guyxlGGyOBpzeOQAqZF1ieOTf6HlZdBKYuBdJb99ZDQpj_tBEgAaEgtJp3AaOZ_7eQNWym2Fhu8zzgBy0 Now you’re curious if there really is a dance scene near the end of episode 2.

6Wf9R16x_Igsi7UBchQ_52lgvaEvXqpJnhz28gwtmubM0MgR9GuOB96guyxlGGyOBpzeOQAqZF1ieOTf6HlZdBKYuBdJb99ZDQpj_tBEgAaEgtJp3AaOZ_7eQNWym2Fhu8zzgBy0 You just like torturing yourself to see if one day you might actually cry a river.

6Wf9R16x_Igsi7UBchQ_52lgvaEvXqpJnhz28gwtmubM0MgR9GuOB96guyxlGGyOBpzeOQAqZF1ieOTf6HlZdBKYuBdJb99ZDQpj_tBEgAaEgtJp3AaOZ_7eQNWym2Fhu8zzgBy0 You’ve wondered what Jin Kook looks like in 20's attire. (reference to Ji Hoon’s character in ‘Your House Helper’)

6Wf9R16x_Igsi7UBchQ_52lgvaEvXqpJnhz28gwtmubM0MgR9GuOB96guyxlGGyOBpzeOQAqZF1ieOTf6HlZdBKYuBdJb99ZDQpj_tBEgAaEgtJp3AaOZ_7eQNWym2Fhu8zzgBy0 Go watch episode 2, I know you’re curious about that dance scene now. Come on!

If you have agreed to at least three of these, you’re ready! Go press play on episode one and grab your tissues. If you’ve already watched it, you must be planning a rewatch to test the crying a river theory

(same, honestly - two rewatches aren’t enough - ouch my heart).

Pwp0yf.jpg

Sound off in the comments! Give your heart a voice and rant, rave, discuss! Some ideas to get the discussion flowing:

If you have watched this drama:  Did you enjoy it? If not or if so; Why? What were your top 5 scenes? Who is your favourite character? Do you have a favourite song from the OST? If you could name 5 reasons someone should watch, what would they be?

If you have not watched this drama:  Will you watch it? If not or if so, Why? Have you started it but not completed it due to any reason in particular? If you could give someone reasons not to watch this drama, what would they be and why?

Let’s talk about this drama, whether we like, love or hate it or if you’re neutral. 

That's all from me for now... until we give our heart a voice again, thank you for reading my fellow drama lovers and enthusiasts! 화이팅 (hwaiting)!    

signature.pngSources:

Netflix

Yun Sim-deok Wiki (spoilers)

The Central European Journal

Hong Nan-pa Wiki

He Hymn Of Death Wiki

https://mydramalist.com/article/let-s-talk-about-the-hymn-of-death-011013002

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Three Sisters of PyongYang

This article was written by Youn Shim Duk's great-grandniece. (Her great-grandmother is the eldest , Shim Duk is 2nd )

https://narratively.com/the-three-sisters-of-pyongyang/

This is the part she described about her great-grandmother (Shim Duk's elder sister),  she was such a modern woman. 

(Youn) Shim Sung became the first graduate of her junior high in 1908. Then, when she was fourteen, her parents sent her to Ewha High School for girls in Seoul, where she was valedictorian of her class and went on to join only the second class of women to graduate from Ewha Womans University, where she then taught math, physics and English.

When she went to his hometown Andong to meet her future in-laws, as she stepped out of the gama (a carriage carried by people on foot), her mother-in-law fainted, overwhelmed by Shim Sung’s tall stature, modern hair style, and sophisticated dress, which was influenced by the fashion from Hong Kong.

And some parts about Shim Duk 

yQXJlEh2S0mgEZEzzU9h_Shim20Duk20EDIT.jpg

At first Woo Jin, a quiet, academic, philosophical person, didn’t like Shim Duk, who had an open, joyful personality, which was, in that time and place, considered masculine. As my aunt says, “He thought, ‘What a woman.’ Women in those days were supposed to be shy.

During the Japanese colonial period, about three in four Koreans were farmers, and although education was expanded from four to six years in 1922, by the mid-1930s, fewer than one in six Korean elementary school-age children were enrolled in an officially recognized school. Because of their chosen pursuits, Shim Duk and Woo Jin were struck by the fact that Koreans mostly knew nothing of drama or classical music. As outsiders, they bonded, and he invited her whole family down to Mokpo for a visit.

In 1922, when her seven years of study in Japan were complete, Shim Duk toured in Korea. Tall, stylish and beautiful and with her unconventional personality, she created a huge sensation. She would wear a long dress with a red rose and sing opera arias, even though at that time, classical music had never been heard in Korea. Men packed recital halls just to look at her, Korea’s first real “modern” woman.

But Shim Duk was depressed. A bookworm who owned hundreds of tomes, she was reading a lot of Nietzsche and Schopenhauer, and, as my aunt put it, “Pessimism was kind of in fashion.” Shim Duk would read intellectual books and cry about the state of Korean society. “They don’t understand my music,” she would lament. People were fascinated by her, but they didn’t really appreciate her music or talent.

According to my aunt, headlines across the country declared that the famous soprano Youn Shim Duk and a rich man committed suicide because of love. But, my aunt says, while they may have been lovers, the main reason for their suicide was that they were both in such despair over their lives: “Society was not ready for them yet. They were born too early.

After reading this article, I got more idea about how much modern her family was and how educated women like her felt herself as an outsider of her society.  It's understandable that why Woo Jin and Shim Deok were attracted to each other because in that era it's hard to find someone who appreciated their artistic talent. 

And as I read some comments mentioned about adultery or cheating married man, personally I agree with the article that both didn't commit suicide because they are lovers as media tried to portray, but because they couldn't go on living their lives in that society and they just chose to die together because only both of them understood each other.

Also for comments that Shim Duk's role played by Shin Hye Sun is 'too modern' in this drama, I think the above highlighted sentences already proved that the script and the acting and also SHS appearance (joyful, open, tall, stylish, beautiful) are so perfectly matched the real Shim Duk.

sKpY6bT.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived