[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Here to Heart 温暖的弦

sugarplum892

On 6/16/2018 at 8:57 AM, celebrianna said:

I just hope the license for both shows they did together last several more years on Viki because I already gave up on purchasing DVDs because the translation is usually terrible. 

20 episodes!

That's how many my friend and I got through this weekend on our Here to Heart marathon.  :D 

Suffice to say she loves it and I got her off to a healthy start for her to finish the remaining episodes on her own.  It was a super fun weekend and I'm sorry she had to leave this morning.  :(

As for the subs, this was my first time watching a lot of the episode with English subs and I have to say there were times where I still found them :crazy:.  I think my brain auto-turned off reading them and only turned on for the business talks part. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just hv finished repeating ep. 19- WN took YX to hospital. Then WN was sad when seeing NX's care for YX ane NX was sad when seeing WN was picking up by ZLL. ZH& JC did portrait the characters so good. I can see how WN and NX love each other and how they keep on "torturing" each other. 

I wish the producer can release the video of NX's bachelor party. Don't know why this part wasn't aired but look at the revealed pictures, I'm sure ZH&JC did their best!!!

1 hour ago, themarchioness said:

20 episodes!

That's how many my friend and I got through this weekend on our Here to Heart marathon.  :D 

Suffice to say she loves it and I got her off to a healthy start for her to finish the remaining episodes on her own.  It was a super fun weekend and I'm sorry she had to leave this morning.  :(

As for the subs, this was my first time watching a lot of the episode with English subs and I have to say there were times where I still found them :crazy:.  I think my brain auto-turned off reading them and only turned on for the business talks part. 

I’m always so happy to hear when others enjoy this show. I bet you had a great time watching with your friend and you guys made good progress. ^_^ I’m so jealous. No matter how much I try to encourage my friends to watch these shows, they just aren’t interested. The funny thing is even my Asian friends aren’t interested. I just don’t get it. Granted they have other activities to engage in.

Oh the subs get me at times especially the grammar or when they kind of don’t make sense but somebody said that they’ll correct them while translating for other languages before they lock the episodes down. I hope this is true. 

1 hour ago, hanoi_roma said:

Just hv finished repeating ep. 19- WN took YX to hospital. Then WN was sad when seeing NX's care for YX ane NX was sad when seeing WN was picking up by ZLL. ZH& JC did portrait the characters so good. I can see how WN and NX love each other and how they keep on "torturing" each other. 

I wish the producer can release the video of NX's bachelor party. Don't know why this part wasn't aired but look at the revealed pictures, I'm sure ZH&JC did their best!!!

I know. They suffered when they really didn’t need to. Still, strangely, I think this can really happen. In real life a breakup like that would have grudges and many different emotions. The problem from NX’s perspective, besides the misunderstandings, is that she always abandoned him, never believed in his words and/or chose someone else over him. The problem from WN’s side is that he no longer loved her and had moved on with someone else. And since neither of them wants to say, “I’m still in love with you”, the misunderstandings multiply. 

I’m glad that they were able to eventually come to an understanding of their feelings to the point where NX later tells WN that before she breaks up with him, please remember how hard it was for the two of them over the 7 years. It means they now know for sure they will love only each other. And when WN says near the end of the final episode that though they were in different countries and though they met other people they only loved each other...I just fell more in love with this couple. :wub: I’m a sucker for this kind of love story because I admire constancy in love because it’s a mark of heartfelt sincerity.

Bachelor party? What happens in that scene?

@celebrianna, my friend and I had so much fun.  I like being able to chat (and flail) about the drama in real time.  I'm going to miss her company for  my own rewatch of the drama.  

1 hour ago, celebrianna said:

Oh the subs get me at times especially the grammar or when they kind of don’t make sense but somebody said that they’ll correct them while translating for other languages before they lock the episodes down. I hope this is true. 

Bachelor party? What happens in that scene?

RE: the subs, the one that gets me every single time (probably because it comes in the first episode and so I've seen it several times now, since I've watched that episode multiple times, but also because it is SUCH an easy thing that shouldn't have been mistranslated and should at least be fixed because is that easy) is when the subtitle says Du Xin Tong has been at Qian Yu for three years.  It's four.  They very clearly say four and the Chinese closed captioning says four too.  So I don't know why the subs says three, but given that this is all within the first couple of minutes of the drama, it's not exactly confidence-inspiring....

I think the bachelor party she's referring to is those pictures that were posted towards the end of the drama's run (right before the wedding episode) which showed Nan Xian at a club with his friends and crying.  Remember those?  Many people were upset at the time that those scenes had not been included.

Random observations/discoveries from my rewatch: In that scene where the HR Director and Du Xin Tong are talking in a breakroom during the Alpha project owner's visit to Qian Yu (and they realize that Du Xin Tong prepared peanut-butter based snacks when he's allergic to them), they used the breakroom on the 66th floor to film that scene.  I recognized the bulletin board of all things and then I noticed the windows in the background were also from the 66th floor set.  

Also, when Nan Xian goes to find Wen Nuan after she's been cleared of being at fault for Du Xin Tong's miscarriage (i.e., that scene where he asks her how she's going to thank him) and they're hanging out on that outside balcony/outdoor seating area, did they use the same outdoor patio setting as the scene where Nan Xian met with Wen Rou at the beginning of the drama?  I'd have to pull up those two scenes to compare side by side to be sure, but from memory alone, those columns look the same.  I think they just used different chairs/tables to make it look like two different spaces.

Awesome discovery of the day: One of my friends is currently in Shanghai for work.  During the rewatch this weekend, my friend and I would joke that she should go to some of the places we were seeing in the drama.  For example, the restaurant with the amazing outdoor seating and views that Zhu Lin Lu and the Wen Sisters visit after they go kart racing, or the place that Wen Nuan and Nan Xian visit whenever they're feeling down.  Anyway, this afernoon, my other friend started texting to tell me how she spent her day.  At one point she texted a pic of her with the Shanghai skyline at nighttime.  I told her it was so pretty with all the lights and it reminded me of the drama.  I started texting her screenshots of the riverwalk (like the scene where Wen Nuan is hanging over the railing depressed when she goes out for a run).  My friend said it looked really familiar.  Then I told her about how we'd wanted her to visit this restaurant and I texted her screenshots from that scene.  My friend did a double take and said she thought she was at that same restaurant today.  She said the seats looked familiar, but they'd been at the opposite end of the outdoor bar.  She told me the name of the restaurant and when I looked at their pictures posted online, I was able to confirm.  IT'S THE SAME RESTAURANT.  My friend really was there!  LOL.  How crazy is that?!  I mean, of all the dining establishments in Shanghai, what are the chances....?! 

@themarchioness, I noticed the HR director and DXT also used the 66th Floor pantry but I didn’t notice the similarity between the place WR invites NX to and the place where NX and WN were talking about her thanking him in sincerity. I only noticed that the one where WN and NX were seemed bigger. I often thought NX and ZLL met at the same place (when they high fived) WR invites him to in the two mornings scenes. 

Oh, that’s really cool. I often think it would be nice to see some of those places so it’s really fun to hear about someone you know actually seeing that place. I confess that I often think more of visiting places in South Korea though because their nightlife seem so very vibrant especially those street restaurants where they sell 

tteokbokki, chicken feet, etc. 

I don’t remember seeing those pictures with NX crying but I remember the conversation about it. If it’s only about NX crying I don’t think it was necessary to include it. 

@enigmatic_zephy, this drama is about the love between Nan Xian and Wen Nuan who broke up seven years ago and lived in two separate countries during those years. After seven years Wen Nuan decides to return to China from England in an effort to find her true self and also to return to Nan Xian whom she broke up with seven years before. The two still love each other but they don’t know their love is mutual. Wen Nuan becomes the executive assistant to Nan Xian and from there as the story progresses we find out about their past, their breakup and a few secrets from the past. I guess the point of the story is whether their love can overcome the past and they could move on to a better future. Over the seven years they also had someone who loved them by their side so there are two love triangles involved.

Oh, and it’s romance from beginning to the end because it’s about the love between WN and NX. Even when they’re apart they love each other. It’s also a melodrama so there’s a lot of sadness experienced by the OTP. I particularly enjoyed it because of their love for each other.

11 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@themarchioness, I noticed the HR director and DXT also used the 66th Floor pantry but I didn’t notice the similarity between the place WR invites NX to and the place where NX and WN were talking about her thanking him in sincerity. I only noticed that the one where WN and NX were seemed bigger. I often thought NX and ZLL met at the same place (when they high fived) WR invites him to in the two mornings scenes. 

Oh, that’s really cool. I often think it would be nice to see some of those places so it’s really fun to hear about someone you know actually seeing that place. I confess that I often think more of visiting places in South Korea though because their nightlife seem so very vibrant especially those street restaurants where they sell 

tteokbokki, chicken feet, etc. 

I don’t remember seeing those pictures with NX crying but I remember the conversation about it. If it’s only about NX crying I don’t think it was necessary to include it. 

@enigmatic_zephy, this drama is about the love between Nan Xian and Wen Nuan who broke up seven years ago and lived in two separate countries during those years. After seven years Wen Nuan decides to return to China from England in an effort to find her true self and also to return to Nan Xian whom she broke up with seven years before. The two still love each other but they don’t know their love is mutual. Wen Nuan becomes the executive assistant to Nan Xian and from there as the story progresses we find out about their past, their breakup and a few secrets from the past. I guess the point of the story is whether their love can overcome the past and they could move on to a better future. Over the seven years they also had someone who loved them by their side so there are two love triangles involved.

oh sorry.. ya i saw this drama.. sorry i confused it with the toher drama he way we were..

ya i know about this one.. thnks you..

however, can i plz ask about one more thing.. in the spoiler below

Spoiler

when is meteor garden 2018 to start airing?

I have to admit this is the best drama i have watched. Took me less than 2 days to complete all the episodes which can be found on Youtube.  I love their interactions in weibo which most people dubbed them as  衛星CP. Highly recommend to those who have not watched. Sadly, some scenes are not added into the series fyi.

2 hours ago, 2ne1dara said:

I have to admit this is the best drama i have watched. Took me less than 2 days to complete all the episodes which can be found on Youtube.  I love their interactions in weibo which most people dubbed them as  衛星CP. Highly recommend to those who have not watched. Sadly, some scenes are not added into the series fyi.

I really love when new people find this drama. Because with hatred this drama got in all the other sites, I wouldn't expect people to pick it up unless they are rabid ZH fans. Hehehe. I'm glad that you enjoyed this drama very much. I can't find words to describe how much I love this drama and ZH. It has been weeks since it got over but I'm still stuck here. My day doesn't end without watching an MV or a few eps of this drama.

My ZH fever has not gone down one bit. I finished Boss and me and I loved it. I admit I had difficulties getting through the first few eps. But once they got together there is no turning back for me. There were lots of fluff and the tone is completely different from this show. I started Queen of SOP last night, thanks to @cheeriekwan and I love how he is such a ball of sunshine here. So cute so adorable. I can't even....

I'm sorry for talking about other dramas here. I'm sure these dramas have their own threads but I don't want to wake them up now and also this thread feels like home where most of them share my ZH obsession. Hahaha. 

3 hours ago, kokodus said:

I really love when new people find this drama. Because with hatred this drama got in all the other sites, I wouldn't expect people to pick it up unless they are rabid ZH fans. Hehehe. I'm glad that you enjoyed this drama very much. I can't find words to describe how much I love this drama and ZH. It has been weeks since it got over but I'm still stuck here. My day doesn't end without watching an MV or a few eps of this drama.

My ZH fever has not gone down one bit. I finished Boss and me and I loved it. I admit I had difficulties getting through the first few eps. But once they got together there is no turning back for me. There were lots of fluff and the tone is completely different from this show. I started Queen of SOP last night, thanks to @cheeriekwan and I love how he is such a ball of sunshine here. So cute so adorable. I can't even....

I'm sorry for talking about other dramas here. I'm sure these dramas have their own threads but I don't want to wake them up now and also this thread feels like home where most of them share my ZH obsession. Hahaha. 

Glad you finally like Boss & Me and now watching Queen of SOP. Love to know your thoughts on other ZH's drama too as I only watched a few. 

5 hours ago, 2ne1dara said:

I’m glad you enjoyed it. I really enjoyed it too. I just love their romance and I also really liked the business aspect of it as well. I watch a lot of drama but I usually don’t rewatch them. The couple here just really attracts and attaches me.

On 28/05/2018 at 3:32 PM, themarchioness said:

Novel Epilogue - Part 3 (Final)

Finally made it through the third and longest part of the epilogue!  As before, I apologize if there are any errors but I've tried my best and hope you nevertheless enjoy! 

Also as a reminder, the novel's epilogue is actually one long chapter but as there are clear divides in the narrative, I split it into three parts to make my work easier.  Links to the earlier parts are here: Part 1 & Part 2

Reveal hidden contents

Part 3

Time passes quickly.  In a blink of an eye, it was already three years later. 

On this day, the family of five were in the Zhan household’s playroom.

“Nan Xian, I think it would still be better if you returned to the company."  The words had a warning sound to them.

“Didn’t I return long ago already?”

“When?  How did I not know this?”  This time the words sounded surprised and stunned.

“Let me count.”  Zhan Nan Xian took the hands of the person next to him and one-by-one lifted her porcelain-like fingers.  ‘This year Cheng Yin is 9 years old, so it was about 19 years ago.  And when I went back, I went back for 10 years, from when I was 18 to 28 years old.  That’s the time in a man’s life that’s most precious, most youthful, and most priceless.”  As he spoke, his tone went from one that was full of high spirits and memories to one that was full of mourning and sorrow for himself.  “I really can’t understand.  How could I have been so foolish back then to the point where I wastefully gave my life to Qian Yu?”

“Zhan - Nan - Xian!  Ever since I was pregnant with Yin Yin you’ve been unemployed at home.  Now Ge Ge is already 8 years old and Bei Bei is 7.  Haven’t you played enough?” 

“Darling.”  The person who was being interrogated looked aggrieved and innocent.  “Even though you are Qian Yu’s most valued director, wouldn’t you say that with Yin Yin, Ge Ge, and Bei Bei being 9, 8, 7 years old, that also means all these years I’ve been at home like a house husband hasn’t been easy?” 

“Ke, ke, ke –” The bitterly laughing person choked on their windpipe and, in the end, could only sigh.  “You spend every day at home with nothing to do.  Don’t you feel bored?”

“Of course I’m not bored!  And who says I have nothing to do?  I’m busy every day.”

“Busy with what?”

“In the day time, I’m busy basking in the sun.  At night time, I’m busy basking in the moonlight.”

The burning anger of the little universe finally erupted.  Her pupils ice cold, Wen Nuan’s face took on an impressive and dignified demeanor that she’d practiced over the years at Qian Yu.  “Don’t think that just because I’m at the company that I don’t know you’re at home every day teaching our sons how to play violent games.  I must’ve been crazy to let you and them spend this summer vacation together!”

A pillow flew unapologetically right to the chest.  Family education necessarily had to start with the father.  [The author is basically trying to say that in order for the children to be raised properly, Nan Xian needs to be brought in line as well, since he’s the one staying home and raising them.]

“Wa!  Your hand is very strong . . . a! a! a!”  A certain pretty man who’d been a father for many years but still hadn’t changed his arrogant ways was hit by a thick pillow until he fell to the floor and rolled away.  “Darling, calm down.  You must calm down.  You should know a father’s authority is granted by the heavens – a!  That hurts, wu wu wu.” 

Zhan Cheng Yin lifted his head from his book and calmly swept his eyes around the living room with the pillows in disarray.  Before lowering his head again, he said in an expressionless voice, “Mommy, let me correct you.  It’s not your two sons who’ve been playing unhealthy games with rice weevil Daddy, it’s your second daughter and youngest son.”  [Rice weevil = a type of bug and an insult in this context, he’s trying to name-call his father.] 

The little Zhan Yang Ge who was in the middle of painting, lifted her eyes and glared.  “Smelly big brother, hng, I’m going to paint you as Judas!”

Zhan Qing Bei who was sitting on the floor off to the side and facing the television and curtain wall, with two little hands operating a remote control, was so deep into his game that he forgot himself.  He didn’t even know what was going on inside the house.

Wen Nuan jumped at the sounds of a “peng, peng, peng,” and cried out, “Bei Bei!”

From behind, he outflanked a sniper and with one shot finally blew off the bandit’s head.  Zhan Qing Bei then took himself out of the game, turned his head, and objected strongly to the sight of his mother who was pressing down on the smiling, but not speaking, Zhan Nan Xian by the waist.  “Daddy, you really are something.  Ever since I’ve known you, you’ve been bullied every day by Mommy.” 

The minute he spoke, the other four who were also present all burst into laughter.

Zhan Nan Xian curled his lips to their highest peak.  “Son, are you sure – it’s been ever since you’ve known me?”

When Nuan laughed and shot a glance at Zhan Nan Xian.  “En?  Is this how you assist the wife and raise the children?  You teach our son to speak incoherently?”  Indeed, it was a glorious achievement. 

Zhan Nan Xian raised himself sideways and with one hand pulled her into his embrace.  He smiled thinly against her forehead and kissed her there.

“Daddy!”  Zhan Yang Ge protested.  “We haven’t reached adulthood!”

“Who said that?  Your mother and I reached our adulthood long ago.”

“Stinky Daddy, I was talking about Ge Ge (big brother), Di Di (little brother), and me!” 

Zhan Nan Xian turned his head to look at Wen Nuan, “Lao Po (literally wife; a way to refer to one’s wife), did you hear that?  Our daughter says they haven’t yet reached adulthood.”

Wen Nuan looked at him warningly.  “What are you trying to say?” 

“Darling, from now on you should be careful of your actions.”

“Shouldn’t that person be you?”

Zhan Cheng Yin lifted his head from his book again.  “Mommy, what Daddy means is don’t beat him up at every turn.  Otherwise you’re likely to give us young and clever children trauma.”  [The phrase Cheng Yin used that I translated as “beating someone up” was, “jia bao,” which actually means "domestic violence."  But as I couldn’t very well use that as a verb, I went with "beat up.”]

Zhan Nan Xian laughed loudly.

Zhan Yang Ge curled her lips.  “Big Brother loves to act in collusion with Daddy.”

Wen Nuan also laughed.  ‘Cheng Yin, I’m not beating up your father.  I’m disciplining him.”  She wanted to make this father who didn’t respect the master of the house to give up vice and turn to virtue.  [The phrase Wen Nuan used that I translated as “discipline” is, “tiao jia,” which is used specifically in the context of children – it’s to say that you are teaching, guiding, and/or disciplining children.  The implication is that she’s referring to her husband as a child.]

Zhan Qing Bei stood up immediately.  “Mommy, I’ll go get the props for you.” 

“What props?” Wen Nuan asked surprisingly.

“Didn’t you say you wanted to discipline Daddy?  I’ll go get the candle and leather whip for you!”

“Zhan Nan Xian!” Wen Nuan yelled.  “What exactly have you been teaching the children at home?!”  The pillow was once again ruthlessly pummeled.  ‘You’d better return to the company tomorrow!  From now on, if you don’t have my permission, you can’t be alone with the children!!”

“Mommy!”  Their second son and only daughter made protesting sounds at the same time.  With a fatherless summer vacation, what joy would there be in their lives?

With an ice cold stare that swept the room, Wen Nuan asked in a soft voice, “Does anybody have any objections?”

The heads of the two youngest shrank back.  Only Zhan Cheng Yin laughed.  “Nope, we have no objections.  We just want to remind Mommy to control her power a little.  They say a man flowers when they turn 41.  Dad is 37 this year.  This means he’s right in the middle of those years where he’s about to bloom.  So, Mommy, remember to show mercy.”

Wen Nuan’s mouth opened in a circle.

Zhan Nan Xian skillfully covered his mouth one hand and dared not to laugh.  With his other hand, he covered his stomach, obviously holding himself back to the point of causing internal injury.

At this moment, Zhou Xiang Ling (Nan Xian’s mother) and Huan Jie (the housekeeper) appeared in the doorway with a tray in their hand. 

“Children, let’s go to the garden to drink sugared lotus seed.”  [Sugared lotus seed is a Chinese dessert served like a cold soup.]

Zhan Yang Ge let out a cheer, put down her paint brush, and hurried out the door.  “Father and mother are not as good as Grandmother!” 

Wen Nuan let out a laugh and tilted her head, greeting Zhan Nan Xian with gentleness in her eyes.  With affection, she let him off the hook just as she always had in the past.  [Honestly, the second sentence gave me a lot of trouble and I’m not 100% about that translation, but that's my best guess.]

Zhan Cheng Yin stood up and rapped the book in his hand against Zhan Qing Bei’s head.  ‘Are you still not going?  Are you waiting for Daddy to grab your head to blow it off?”

“Ha ha, in another two years, Daddy won’t even be worthy of being my opponent.”

Zhan Cheng Yin closed the door and their voices gradually faded.

Zhan Nan Xian laid down on the ground and with one reach of his arm, Wen Nuan went tumbling into his chest.  “Darling . . .”  In a honey-like voice, thick with emotion, he whispered softly against the side of her temple and said, “Do you know?  You’ve given me all the most beautiful things in this world.”

She closed her eyes in contentment.  With both arms hooked around his neck, she leaned against his body and listened to the heart beats inside his chest.  From the side of her lips escaped a soft but beautiful smile.

The End

Awww, I love NX's final words to his wife.  Soooo sweet!  He may be pesky and child-like at times, but he's also a swoony romantic.  I can't blame WN for being powerless against his charms when I feel the same.  :D 

May i know where can i read the novel? Also,  is this drama series based on true story? Thank you. 

Archived